Denis Grebeshkov’s exit this afternoon gives the Edmonton Oilers a small window in regard to the 10-11 salary cap. Although the club has a massive group of restricted free agents still unsigned, and have several high priced talents that appear stapled to Northern Alberta, there may be light at the end of the cap tunnel.
Below is the current list of signed Oilers for next season, with estimates for the restricted free agents added into the mix. Your input on the estimates is appreciated.
- GOAL: Khabibulin (3.75M); Deslauriers (.900M-est)
- DEFENSE: Visnovsky (5.6M); Souray (5.4M); Gilbert (4.0M); Staios (2.7M); Smid (1.3M); Chorney (.942M); Peckham (.700M-est)
- CENTER: Horcoff (5.5M); Gagner (3M-est); Pouliot (.850M-est); Potulny (1.5M-est)
- LEFT WING: Penner (4.25M); O’Sullivan (2.925M); Moreau (2.0M); Hall (3.725M-est); Cogliano (1.25M-est)
- RIGHT WING: Hemsky (4.1M); Nilsson (2.0); Brule (2.25M-est); Eberle (1.187M-est); Stortini (.700M)
Look about right? Cap is supposed to be about $57M, the 23-man roster above comes in at $60,529,000 (over by 3.3M). Estimates are just that, thanks to Mr. Bugg for his inpute.
One more thing: they probably aren’t done. As I mentioned in this post, all of Moreau, Pisani, Comrie and Cogliano are still available and there are rumors (source: Darren Dreger, tsn) that Tom Gilbert is being shopped all along the eastern seaboard.