In 2009-10, the Oilers had some nice things despite the poor record. However, Pat Quinn thought Lubo was not the vaunt, and he also sent Marc Pouliot away (fie!) in the final stages of running the remnants of the 2006 into the ground. Pouliot never did deliver, owing much (I believe) to injuries during important development time. IS Oscar Klefbom the new Poo?
Klefbom Injury Timeline
- Sept 2/11: Swedish Oil: Klefbom was unlucky enough to get cut on his thigh by an ice skate, the wound was sewn with ten stitches, and when the stitches were removed there was an infection. Now Klefbom is on penicillin which also prohibits him from playing.
- Nov 14/11: Sami Hoffrén: Klefbom was hit to the head by a Russian forward and he had to leave the game. Didn’t play in the tournament after that hit. I assume Klefbom suffered a concussion.
- Oct 9/12: Oscar Klefbom: “It happened on Oct. 9 playing against Vaxjo,” Klefbom said. “I dumped the puck in the offensive zone and I got a small hit from behind and I lost my balance and I flew into the boards. I had to catch myself with my left arm. Afterwards, I couldn’t feel my arm, it was like a dead arm. I didn’t know what happened.”
- Sept 12/13: Oilers announce they are following concussion protocol after Klefbom is injured in the U of A game.
I think we’re at a point now with Klefbom that it’s reasonable to suggest his career development has been impacted significantly by injury. Now, some players have this resume and then fly through the next 20 years without a scratch, but the growing list of worries (and this isn’t a complete list, I’m sure) tells me that Oscar Klefbom may never deliver on the potential of his draft day due to injury.
It’s a tough damn game.
The Klefbom injury is not considered to be long term (Eakins said “He (Klefbom) was hit in the head and we’re following the protocol with every head injury. He’ll be reassessed in the morning”) and there are bumps and bruises for Jujhar Khaira, Curtis Hamilton, Andrew Miller and Kale Kessy. All of that info and more is here.
The VO2 max score that everyone is talking about is Andrew Ference (67), considered an other-worldly performance. Anton Lander was in the 60’s and baby Nuge scored a 60 according to various reports.
I imagine today’s TC will be about getting ready for the two Saturday games. I do like Hall between Smyth and Hemsky for two reasons:
- It gives Hall two veterans who can help with the heavy work.
- It sends a clear message that the team is a “team” and there’s no more of this “kid line” or “veteran line” responsibility.
We’ll see how it goes, but I wouldn’t mind seeing that line through the pre-season. If they can develop some chem then the 3 scoring lines Unicorn theory (I think that’s what Ryan Batty called it yesterday) may actually happen.
I was absolutely astonished by Tyler Dellow’s item about Pat Quinn and I think it points out a couple of major worries:
- HOW can an organization do their due diligence and come to the conclusion that this is the best available person for the job?
- At some point they HAD to know things were askew, and yet they kept the situation status quo until summer. That is very disturbing.
As for the other characters in the play, as much as Sam Gagner gets crapped all over by fans it appears it may have been worse for him during some portions of his Oiler career inside the building. I’m not certain the Oilers have earned his loyalty, but it appears to be there all the same. Craig MacTavish may have arrived just in time to save that relationship.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
Big Friday show as we get ready for the weekend. Scheduled to appear:
- Steve Lansky from Big Mouth Sports. Eakins-mania, and are the Leafs being set up for a big fall?
- Lisa McRitchie from Kukla’s Korner. Oilers camp and we’ll touch base on the coming WHL season.
- Scott Taylor from the huddle dot co. We’ll preview the Eskimos-Bomber game and talk Oilers/Jets.
- Jill Horbay from FC Edmonton. The Eddies are in action Sunday and it’s a huge game.
- Jungle Jim Hunter, Olympian. We’ll talk about training camp tests and Olympic news.
Lowetide_ on twitter, 10-1260 via text. We’re heading to the weekend, ladies! Pre-season NHL hockey!