THE GOLDEN BEARS (ROOKIES G4)

The Golden Bears hit the ice against Oilers rookies tonight, it should be a fun game (there’s a lot of skill on both sides) and physical too (ditto). From an Oilers’ fan point of view, most of the guys we’d like to see again are dressed.

THE LINEUP (VIA POUZAR)

Mitch Moroz – Leon Draisaitl – Mitch Holmberg
Vladdy Hockey – Bogdan Yakimov – Greg Chase
Travis Ewanyk – Jujhar Khaira – Kale Kessy
Connor Jones – Kellen Jones – Kyle Platzer

Jordan Oesterle – Dillon Simpson
Darnell Nurse – C.J. Ludwig
David Musil – Martin Gernat

Laurent Brossoit
Ty Rimmer

A FEW NOTES

1. Mitch Moroz gets another push, as does Mitch Holmberg. Draisaitl looked very good in G2-Penticton, hopefully we’ll see more of those ridiculous passes. 100% chance he makes the Oilers.
  2. That second line is gold. Big Russian center blocks out the sun, the RW has skill and yaps more than Tikkanen, and the LW is the hockey personification of ‘it came out of the sky‘.
  3. Khaira hasn’t been given one damn break on linemates at EVs this camp, and that continues tonight.
  4. That 4line should be able to play the Golden Bears at par tonight, lots of experience there and some penalty-killing acumen.
  5. Oesterle-Simpson have some chem, I’m beginning to think we’ll see them early in the year down in Oklahoma territory.
  6. Nurse gets Ludwig and that’s freewheelin’ Bob Dylan—we may see a minus or two with this duo.
  7. Musil—Gernat should be able to dictate a few things out there tonight, this should be Martin at his best.
  8. Brossoit-Rimmer would be my choice for ‘two goalies I’d like to see again’ from the Penticton camp.

Rockford vs. Barons 2-28-14

Patricia Teter does us all a favor by reminding us of what happened this summer here. I’d really warmed to Horak, sorry to see him go. It’s easy to assume the Oilers will ‘Hartikainen’ him next summer, but maybe they take a different angle with Roman. Most of the OKC onlookers talked about how effective Horak looked on LW, and that’s a spot Edmonton may need some help with down the line. We’ll keep a light on.

ferguson commonI wrote about the Oilers use of an enforcer over at Oilers Nation today,riffing off something Travis Yost posted at TSN. NHL coaching staffs are migrating toward 12 forwards playing 10 minutes or more every game at even strength, and the Oilers use of an enforcer may mean they’re left behind. We’ll see. I’m encouraged by the additions this season, wonder about that Gordon line. That’s the trio to watch in preseason. Who plays with Gordon? Hendricks? Yeah, for sure. Lander? He’s probably the best available option among the rest to round out the group. Pitlick? We’ll see. Pakarinen? Can’t wait to see him.

121 Responses to "THE GOLDEN BEARS (ROOKIES G4)"

1. linkfromhyrule says:

I actually get to watch this game!! Does anyone know whether or not the Oilers website has fixed the terrible video streaming? I remember last year’s preseason…..

Also, I’m fine with icing our 5min/night enforcer until we have more functional toughness in our lineup. Necessary evil when we are just down the road from the Flaming Truculence down south

2. oliveoilers says:

I just can’t get used to this new fangled L-C-R team listing. How about you, LT?

3. Henry says:

4. OilClog says:

Took a few years to get use to CLR now I’m trying to tell my mind to drop it. I’ll call this the Hall effect

oliveoilers:
    I just can’t get used to this new fangled L-C-R team listing.How about you, LT?

Driving me nuts.

6. Hammers says:

Henry: “Who plays with Gordon? Hendricks? Yeah, for sure. Lander? He’s probably the best available option among the rest to round out the group. Pitlick? We’ll see. Pakarinen? Can’t wait to see him.”Lander is a very good choice to play with Gordon. He is responsible, has some skill and is a pain in the ass for the other squad. He can PK as well. There would be three guys who can play C on that line and can sub up the lineup in case of injury in game.

Thanks for someone agreeing as I have been saying this since June . Makes the most sense 3 guys wo play hard , with guts , and all can PK . As for tonight it may be one of the best over the last 5-6 years . Plit goalkeeping 50/50 . Musil / Garnat maybe Perfect pair .

7. Pouzar says:

Agreed with all yer notes LT. I do like the lineup, just wish Roy was in there with maybe the Jones bros.
    Can’t have everything.

8. jfry says:

Seems really weird that Roy isn’t in this game

jfry:
    Seems really weird that Roy isn’t in this game

When you look at last season, when he had a very serious hand injury and didn’t get a full TC look, it probably makes a little more sense.

10. Frank The Dog says:

Lowetide: Driving me nuts.

LT, what made you change? Must have involved a large bet or something.

11. Ben says:

Tkachev actually seems to have a pretty thick torso oh no wait that’s Darnell Nurse’s neck.

12. Hammers says:

1=0 Oil

13. nycoil says:

2-0 Oil
    Yakimov very nice effort/skill there to bat that in off his own rebound.
    Assists Platzer and Tkachev- both nice passes.

Tkachev reminds me of Ray Whitney today.

Bogdan Yakimov. Holy shit.

Broadcast mentioned Slepslappy will be coming over.

nycoil,

Tkachev reminds me of Ray Whitney today.

Love that comp.

17. nycoil says:

Gernat could have batted that out without putting his hand on it. Penalty shot.

18. CurtisS says:

Roy has been sent to Junior team.

19. nycoil says:

Tkachev is all over the place. He passed the puck to the point from the hashmarks, moved into the slot, got a pass in a tough spot with his back to the net so flicked it back out, then was behind the net a couple of seconds later to win a puck battle. A hound!

20. nycoil says:

Ewanyk from Khaira and Oesterle, 3-0. Great move by Oesterle.

Nice pass by Khaira there, and Ewanyk scores. 3-0 Oil. This is a really unusual result.

22. striatic says:

CurtisS,

Roy was very good in his first game but very disappointing in his second. Unfortunately not surprised he won’t be at main camp but he’s still a promising player.

23. gr8one says:

Broadcast mentioned Slepslappy will be coming over.

When?

Also, is it just me, or do the corners of that arena look off compared to NHL ice surfaces?

gr8one: When?

Next fall, sounds like.

25. nycoil says:

Great news re: Slepyshev. Not soon enough!

Getting chippy out there.

striatic:
    CurtisS,

27. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I hadn’t read he wasn’t invited to main camp. That’s huge. I’m shocked. Where did you read this?

All the more room for my man (boy?) Tkachev!

28. striatic says:

CurtisS’ comment.

But Matheson tweeted 50m ago that Marco Roy was invited to main camp so he must be mistaken.

29. RexLibris says:

Awesome news about Slepyshev.

30. striatic says:

“48 players invited to Oiler main camp plus some of prospects from Young Guns tournament like Tkachev, Marco Roy, C.J. Ludwig.#oilers”

I’m surprised but happy he’s getting a look at main camp.

Nurse is a really physical guy. REALLY physical.

32. G Money says:

gr8one,

Yes. The rink is 196 ft long, so the corners and center ice both look to be smaller than regulation.

33. gr8one says:

G Money:
    gr8one,

Yes.The rink is 196 ft long, so the corners and center ice both look to be smaller than regulation.

Cool, ty…yeah, it just didn’t look quite right to me.

34. Zelepukin says:

Clare Drake has always had square corners.

35. Ryan says:

“That’s what hockey’s about… A jam-packed bar. I mean barn.” – bob stauffer.

striatic:

Ah, thanks.

37. nycoil says:

He skates out there and immediately acts like every guy wearing the other team’s jersey ran over his dog. Love it, but like other things, he’ll have to learn to pick his spots and curb it a bit in the NHL; I can see a few refs giving him the rookie treatment when he tries that. I can also see a few opposing old fogeys taking exception. Still, I’m not advocating for bridling his “enthusiasm” just yet. Let him wreak havoc for now.

38. linkfromhyrule says:

Nurse definitely needs another year in junior.. Rather him figure out how to put everything together there than in the NHL. But man, he is going to FSU when he gets here

39. Ryan says:

Zelepukin:
    Clare Drake has always had square corners.

That’s what I found playing there.

Zelepukin:
    Clare Drake has always had square corners.

I heard he had a hard time finding clothes, this is probably why.

I’ll go with Yakimov as most impressive player that shift. Leon got run over.

42. Ryan says:

Lowetide: I heard he had a hard time finding clothes, this is probably why.

Yakimov is such a beast. I can’t wait to see him play some preseason games.

43. Marcus Oilerius says:

I’ll go with Yakimov as most impressive player that shift. Leon got run over.

As a GM I’d consider it, especially given the whole ELC year bit.

44. CurtisS says:

I thought I read today Roy got sent to junior, looks like I was wrong sorry.

45. nycoil says:

Marcus Oilerius,

I could see Yakimov giving Lander a scare more than Draisaitl. I think Leon has a spot all but guaranteed for him unless he drops the ball in camp, which I can’t see happening.

46. Ryan says:

Marcus Oilerius: Would you say there’s a chance we might see Yakimov instead of Draisaitl make the jump?

As a GM I’d consider it, especially given the whole ELC year bit.

I had a premonition about this before the rookie games…. My premonitions are almost always wrong. Full disclosure: so are all of my limited sources.

47. nycoil says:

What are the chances Ludwig makes the Barons? In the limited viewings so far, I like what he brings, especially on the man advantage.

48. Pouzar says:

Nice D by Yakimov there

49. RexLibris says:

1-1 in the 2nd for the Dinos/Flames game.

Not sure who scored, but whoever it was I’m sure they are destined to be the next saviour of the franchise.

50. Pouzar says:

Love Nurse…jumps right in there

51. nycoil says:

RexLibris,

Bleh. Take that drivel over to FN. 😉

52. Younger Oil says:

I’m one of the bigger fans of Yakimov out there, but in this game he seems to be getting knocked off of his feet more than you’d think someone his size would be. Still a hell of a talent though, can’t wait to see him in OKC.

Tkachev also looking a bit more predictable than he has in previous games as well. Seems to be putting on the brakes around 5m after crossing the blue line, it’s not the best habit to get into for NHL play. Still hope they sign him though.

53. nycoil says:

Younger Oil,

Yup, although Tkachev has been winning some nice puck battles tonight, he hasn’t had the flow on the attacking side so far. He made a great pass to Platzer who made a nice area pass at the attacking blue line to spring Yakimov in alone for that goal though.

54. Aitch says:

Did anyone else’s feed kick back to early in the 2nd? I’m watching the worlds longest instant replay.

Yeah, it’s off the rails at this point. Hopefully get things back for the 3rd period.

56. RexLibris says:

I’ve lost the feed entirely.

57. Pouzar says:

My feed is gone as well

58. gr8one says:

The non youtube feed seems to still up.

Nm, it’s all just fubarred.

59. Younger Oil says:

Feed skipped from where it stopped streaming to the present for me. About 5 minutes into the 2nd intermission, still 3-1.

60. betamanic says:

Just got back from dinner. Did I miss anything worth noting? Saw the Russians hooked up on another goal. Nice?

61. Soup Fascist says:

Getting two feeds on YouTube. Reid Wilkins interviewing David Pelletier played over a spot on Dillon Simpson. Irony working overtime.

62. Aitch says:

Thanks! I’m loving the audio-dub now. Kinda like a behind the scenes look and a blooper reel all in one.

63. RexLibris says:

Tkachev with three assists tonight? Is that correct?

64. betamanic says:

RexLibris,

65. gr8one says:

Much love and respect for Clare Drake, but it will always be the Butterdome to me.

66. Pouzar says:

This feed is just not going to come back for me…not sure about anyone else.

67. nycoil says:

Youtube feed is spotty. Comes back up but then freezes again.

68. Soup Fascist says:

FFS. Katz can’t afford to put up a decent functioning feed for fans from all tiers ? I just want to watch a little hockey.

69. nycoil says:

Soup Fascist,

Is that you on the YouTube chat blaming Katz for this? Yes, it’s clearly his fault.

70. RexLibris says:

betamanic: RexLibris, No, I think they were meaning that he’s assisted on all of Yakimov’s goals in the tourney.

Thanks, the tweet was unclear and I’ve been hopping in and out all evening.

71. Soup Fascist says:

nycoil,

You are correct I should not have said that. Probably his kid. Or Horcoff.

Not me on YouTube though. Some other smartass.

72. gr8one says:

nycoil:
    Soup Fascist,

We all know it’s Obama’s fault.

73. Soup Fascist says:

gr8one:

Two different buildings.

74. VanOil says:

Thinking of starting a Wayne Van Dorp fan club. Anyone in?.

75. nycoil says:

gr8one,

Is that you, Jack Donaghy?

Soup Fascist,

It’s clearly Smid’s fault! That’s why LT hates him so much.

76. gr8one says:

Soup Fascist: Two different buildings.

77. OilLeak says:

Simpson played that puck like a sack of bricks.

78. nycoil says:

The power play tonight looks like the big club’s last year.

79. striatic says:

gr8one,

The Butterdome is the one with the indoor track.

80. nycoil says:

Brossoit. Oops.

81. OilLeak says:

The jones brothers are damn good pk killers

Connor Jones is a man. What a penalty killer.

83. Soup Fascist says:

gr8one,

gr8one: Ahh, lol…I guess I’ve been away from Edmonton too long, I don’t know why I thought that.

No problem. In the same area. Butterdome is the gym for hoops,no? Claire Drake used to be called. …. Um ….. Bueller ? Anyone?? Bueller ?…. Varsity Arena. I think. Old old barn. Some say it has character. That is being kind IMO.

Edit: whoever said indoor track is correct.

84. OilLeak says:

Honestly I was expecting Connor and Kellen Jones as 1 dimensional players; pleasantly surprised. OKC is going to be stacked this season.

85. nycoil says:

One thing Pelletier can probably help Draisaitl with is edge work without the puck. If you watch Drai in his own zone when he is without the puck, he glides a lot and makes looping turns. He could sharpen those up and improve his effectiveness. I have no doubt he will get there. Just something to watch for when you isolate on him. Love his edge work when he sticks das butt out and cuts to the net a la Kopitar, but he could sharpen it up when without the puck. I think someone else mentioned he is a better skater with the puck than without.

86. Younger Oil says:

Nurse looks like he’s trying too hard to be a leader, and is going out of his way to stand up for his team mates. He needs to learn that it’s difficult to lead when you spend half of the game in the penalty box. It’s good that he has those instincts, but unless he learns to control them it will hurt the team more than it helps.

87. nycoil says:

Ludwig with a bad pinch there at his own blue line. Is that still called a pinch? Ill-advised interception attempt anyhow.

88. gr8one says:

What’s the cutoff for this rookie tourney? Why isn’t Klefbom partaking?

89. Soup Fascist says:

OilLeak:
    Honestly I was expecting Connor and Kellen Jonesas 1 dimensional players; pleasantly surprised. OKC is going to be stacked this season.

Barons will be VERY young though. Great for development. Doesn’t always lead to success in the AHL.

90. nycoil says:

gr8one,

Maybe cause he got that concussion last year and they want to protect him? He’s guaranteed a spot in main camp anyway so not much point in putting him at risk. Same for Marincin.

91. Younger Oil says:

Fairly poor game from the majority of the Oilers IMO. Khaira, Ewanyk, Musil, and the Jones brothers all showed well, Draisaitl, Moroz, and Chase were invisible, and Gernat and Nurse were pretty poor I thought. Good first period by the team followed by a bunch of meh.

92. Pouzar says:

The shitty stream killed my enjoyment of this game.

93. Logan91 says:

That was a fun game to watch. How come everyone has Rowley listed as a right hand shot when he’s left?

94. Pouzar says:

Hope Yakimov is ok. He went hard into the boards on his goal and I don’t remember seeing him late in this game.

gr8one:
    What’s the cutoff for this rookie tourney? Why isn’t Klefbom partaking?

This is still young stars. Klefbom wasn’t part of young stars. TC tomorrow!! Game on Sunday!!

96. Gordies Elbow says:

So, is Musil a real prospect yet?

97. OilLeak says:

Younger Oil:

Nurse has the skill, but his decision making has been horrid at this point. Disappointed with Gernat’s play too, hope he shakes it off once main camp starts.

98. Frank The Dog says:

Who said there’d be a line brawl?

99. nycoil says:

Bob and I agree for once.
    I don’t see Khaira being the 3rd line centre of the future for the Oilers, but the 4th line guy. Nuge-Leon-Big Bo-Jujhar. That could be the future right there.

Connor Jones is a man.What a penalty killer.

Fernando Jones?

OilLeak: Nurse has the skill, but his decision making has been horrid at this point.Disappointed with Gernat’s play too, hope he shakes it off once main camp starts.

Let’s hope he doesn’t have a million dollar arm and a ten cent head.

102. nycoil says:

OilLeak,

Nurse seemed last year to play better against men than against other young guys. Maybe he plays a more conservative game against real NHL competition, and benefits from less walkabout and less aggressive hitting.

That said, to my eyes he was MILES better than last year at this time, so I am excited to see what he can do in main camp. I’m still in the “send him back” camp though.

103. steveb12344 says:

Woodguy: Let’s hope he doesn’t have a million dollar arm and a ten cent head.

Seems a bit harsh. Wasn’t he Scholastic player of the year in the OHL?

104. justDOit says:

Soup Fascist:
    FFS.Katz can’t afford to put up a decent functioning feed for fans from all tiers ?I just want to watch a little hockey.

Yeah, the feed shat the bed tonight, but the Penticton tournament’s coverage was much improved this year. If you recall the quality of previous year’s productions, they have made strides in quality – both streaming and content.

105. OilLeak says:

Woodguy: Let’s hope he doesn’t have a million dollar arm and a ten cent head.

That’s what I’m worried about, lets hope this is just over excitement on his part, because he showed this last season too.

106. Marcus Oilerius says:

Woodguy: Let’s hope he doesn’t have a million dollar arm and a ten cent head.

Trying to do too much, probably. Possibly too used to junior.

Makes me think it’s a damn shame that he has to go to junior or the NHL next season, no choice for the AHL.

I know you guys don’t believe in the whole “bad habits” thing, but I think this could be one such case.

107. nycoil says:

If you’re ever feeling down about being an Oiler fan, just be thankful you aren’t a Leaf fan.

108. RexLibris says:

3-1 Flames over the Dinos with Wolf, Gedig and Carroll getting the goals.

I enjoyed what I saw of the Oilers/Bears game. It was a step up from the Penticton series, as it should be, and I saw progress where I think it needed to be.

Sounds like Stauffer was impressed with Rawley tonight, and he agrees that the Oilers need to sign Tkachev. It costs nothing but a contract spot and essentially adds a 1st or 2nd round pick quality prospect to the system that you can let develop for three or four years with little risk. He may not be in the same category as the Schultz windfall, but a good team doesn’t let these kinds of opportunities slip by them.

Gordies Elbow:
    So, is Musil a real prospect yet?

Always was, and yes.

110. RexLibris says:

nycoil:

Interesting read.

I can’t say it surprises me.

I recall watching Iginla’s last few seasons and you could see that Brent Sutter was bending things to Iginla’s will when he was on the ice. Other forwards came back to check, pushed deeper in the defensive zone. Iginla would hang high in the zone, sometimes even out of it, waiting for the puck.

It worked on occasion because he was that good, but you knew that this was not entirely Brent Sutter hockey.

111. TheOtherJohn says:

Lowetide: Always was, and yes.

Only issue with Musil was/is is his footspeed. Good, smart defender. Good size.

Fortunately I have read comments here that state that footspeed is readily fixable. A summer with Steve Serdachny and David Pelletier and all is good*

* severe sarcasm alert

112. Mr DeBakey says:

Just back from Varsity Arena [not too far from the Butterdome].
    A very full house.
    The Bears lost but completely dominated the last 40 minutes.
    The guys in white reminded me of the Lethbridge Pronghorns for much of that time.

Some quick player reviews:
    Mitch Moroz – Big
    Leon Draisaitl – Big
    Bogdan Yakimov – Big, beautiful goal.
    Jujhar Khaira – Big, frickin huge.
    Kale Kessy- Big, a fricken goof. Put a Birmingham Bulls jersey on him and stuff him into the wayback machine; He`d fit right in.
    Darnell Nurse – Big, That was hilarious what Twomey did to him.

113. slopitch says:

Moroz was meh. Musil and Simpson play simple yet effective hockey.

Gernat I still think needs time. Kessey and Chase are pricks, in a good way.

114. Ribs says:

Ah, the 05-06 Oilers model. Beauty.

115. Hammers says:

Ribs: Ah, the 05-06 Oilers model. Beauty.

116. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: Let’s hope he doesn’t have a million dollar arm and a ten cent head.

Let’s hope that’s not the case for another certain someone.

117. Pouzar says:

slopitch: Draisatl was pretty dominant the first 2 periods. I thought the 3rd he was meh. He floated around a bit and looked more like a winger. Still looked great with the puck. Shields it like Jagr or Thornton (come on now).Tkatchev I thought tried to hard and was pushed off the puck. Skill was evident though.Moroz was meh. Musil and Simpson play simple yet effective hockey. Nurse plays mean hockey. Exactly what this team needs. He’s gonna be a fav of mine. I’ll compare him to Jason Smith but I bet he ends of better.Yakimov is very reliable defensively. He defers to 64 a lot to carry the puck. Could be what Yak1 needs.Gernat I still think needs time. Kessey and Chase are pricks, in a good way.All in all, a nice collection of big skilled players. Can’t come soon enough. Most excited to see drai and yak1 in main camp.

The Yakimov comments warm my heart. Seems through your comments we a very nice mix of players in the pipeline. Thx for the comments.

118. HiddenDarts says:

Here’s hoping they do a Tkatchev-Yak2-Yak1 line in training camp.

Wow. Gonna be something!

119. slopitch says:

Pouzar,

Thanks. I love the Bears vs Oilers game. Been to it at least 5 years now. I think Nurse is gonna push very hard. I was actually most impressed with him. Went into the corner like Pronger, looking to clear traffic. Drai I can only hope excels. He sure doesn’t look small like Nuge did.

Size and skill baby!

120. Ribs says:

Hammers: You don’t really believe they will all get equal time surely ? 1st 18 , 2nd 15 , 3rd 15 , 4th 12 , Just depends on Gordon is he 2nd or 3rd not 4th .

Do I beileve it? No, not at all. The quality of the roster pretty much guarantees there will be a disparity of ice time between players (that, along with the coach’s preference to run his top players into the ground).

It sure would be nice to have enough quality players to make it possible, though. Some day…

121. Marcus Oilerius says:

Eakins doesn’t seem to like learning from others mistakes. The current TC lineup has Yakupov on the left side. Maybe Yak practiced on that, but I rather doubt it. He was lost on left wing and constantly drifting to the right side during the early going under Krueger.