THE OUTSIDERS

Although they won’t make this year’s Oilers there are about one half dozen prospects who are tracking as future NHL players. This group won’t be in training camp much longer, so this is a good time to identify them, project them for the coming season, and predict their chances of becoming big league skaters.

• Todd Nelson: “I see Yakimov and Khaira as pretty similar players. Yakimov, with the one goal he scored in Penticton (nifty stop and pivot off a Vladimir Tkachev feed against the Vancouver Canucks’ rookies) may have more offence, but JJ (Khaira) also popped one on a 5-on-3 there (vs. Winnipeg Jets) .  We’ve seen flashes of what JJ can be. He just needs time to mature. We’re trying to mould JJ into a two-way centreman, somebody who can kill penalties, late in games trying to preserve a game. He has the size. He just needs experience.” Source

It’s important to keep these things in context, but Nelson doesn’t throw around compliments easily and his words on Khaira are encouraging. The young man played in a button down system under Kevin Constantine, but his NHLE’s since draft day reveal a checker’s future:

• Age 18 (WCHA) 82gp, 6-17-23
  • Age 19 (WHL) 82gp, 7-11-18

RUS - SUIAnton Slepyshev, Dario Simion, Melvin NyffelerAnton Slepyshev picked up an assist in today’s KHL game (it’s after one) and despite not getting huge playing time this season there are some interesting results. The KHL gives TOI (not broken down by discipline) and the young man is off to a better start this season.

SLEPYSHEV IN THE KHL

• 2011-12 (age 17) 39GP, 4-3-7 (8:55 TOI, 28 shots) (1.21 points-per-60) (4.83 shots-per-60)
  • 2012-13 (age 18) 26GP, 7-2-9 (12:40 TOI, 63 shots) (1.64 points-per-60) (11.48 shots-per-60)
  • 2013-14 (age 19) 36GP, 3-5-8 (10:18 TOI, 59 shots) (1.30 points-per-60) (9.55 shots-per–60)
  • 2014-15 (age 20) 9GP, 0-3-3 (9:53 TOI, 17 shots) (2.23 points-per-60) (12.63 shots-per-60)

He’s still not getting enough playing time, but the early results may get him more as injuries hit Salavat Yulaev. In light of Yakimov’s strong showing, perhaps this Slepyshev fellow will be a pleasant surprise when he arrives in Edmonton next August.

2015 DRAFT (SAY IT AGAIN)

Brendan Ross is a bright guy with some interesting takes on the draft, his 2015 list is up and worth reading. The top of the draft is drunk with centers, and low on WHL types. The Euro’s won’t emerge heavily until spring and it looks like there are THREE franchise players for 2015.

WAIVER ELIGIBLES

I can try to convince you that there are all kinds of battles this TC for spots, but really we’re talking 4R, 13F, 14F and 7C. Fringe players with one starting spot open. My handy-dandy notebook suggests there are 11 players vying for the spot, but that’s really stretching it.

THE UNCERTAIN OILERS (11) w/AHL DOLLARS

LEFT WING (2) CENTER (1) RIGHT WING (4)
JESSE JOENSUU ($1,000,000)
WILL ACTON ($100,000)
TYLER PITLICK ($85,000)
KEVIN WESTGARTH (invite)
IIRO PAKARINEN ($70,000)
    STEVE PINIZZOTTO ($225,000)
    ANDREW MILLER ($90,000)

LEFT DEFENSE (2)   RIGHT DEFENSE (1)
KEITH AULIE ($800,000)   OSCAR KLEFBOM ($70,000)
DARNELL NURSE (NHL only)

GOAL (1)
  RICHARD BACHMAN ($225,000)

Everyone is waiver eligible save Pakarinen, Nurse and Klefbom. The big item for any of these waiver forwards? Management’s decision on their future being part of Edmonton’s overall 2015-2020 roster. If they see Pitlick and or Lander as a possible piece, they make the team unless the gap is massive (and I don’t think it is). A player like Pakarinen would have to kick out the jams compared to Pitlick in order to win the day. If Tyler Pitlick is a legit prospect, and I think he is, that hurdle should be cleared easily during the pre-season.

Lander’s job is slightly more complicated—Acton’s resume has some useful tools—and that may be enough to waiver Lander. I don’t think it will be, not this fall. Lander and Pitlick should be on the opening night roster (save injury) because the club isn’t sure—that’s completely different than the Deslauriers years where they just kept holding on.

hennessey gif

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Fun show today, 10 this morning on TSN 1260. Jonathan Willis pops in at 10:05 to give his take on the Oilers TC and those final spots. He’s followed by Jeff Hauser from Radio Hauser and NFL chat. At 11, Scott Cullen has his NHL point projections out and we’ll suss through them. At 11:25, Guy Flaming talks about the new Oil Kings and the team’s chances, and Dave Jamieson pops in at 11:45 to talk football.

The Oilers cuts will come today, might be a subject on the show. 10-1260 text @Lowetide_ twitter.

One final note: I’m not your Dad, but would request we all get along a little better. As more of us pop in during TC, old arguments are renewed and that’s cool. However, it can get personal and we lost a valued poster yesterday for no good reason beyond my neglect. I don’t catch everything, so please be good to each other. Thanks.

92 Responses to "THE OUTSIDERS"

1. OilClog says:

If we ice Acton or Lander, we’ve essentially gone nowhere. Acton is 4C in OKC, Lander had a typical Lander NHL result the other night in cowtown. Invisible, no difference made, just here to collect a cheque.

Acton has no business in the bigs and Lander hasn’t shown a lick.

2. stener says:

Looks like yak is getting a push tomorrow night playing with RNH and Eberle… I hope he makes the most of it. I can’t see that line being a go-to option in the regular season, however.

3. thepeetso says:

OilClog:

Acton has no business in the bigs and Lander hasn’t shown a lick.

They will be PB fodder, for use in injury situations. (And even then they might call up Yakimov instead.)

4. Pouzar says:

Nail Yakupov – Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – Jordan Eberle
    Benoit Pouliot – Leon Draisaitl – Vladdy Hockey
    Kale Kessy – Travis Ewanyk – Tyler Pitlick
    Andrew Miller – Bogdan Yakimov – Curtis Hamilton

Keith Aulie – Justin Schultz
    Oscar Klefbom – Martin Gernat
    Darnell Nurse – Martin Marincin

Ty Rimmer
    Laurent Brossoit

5. Hammers says:

I guess thats why we comment as I see Lander with Value . typically a player that scored the way he did in the AHL would make it . This player is a prime example of how not to bring a player along the right track . At least 2 seasons up front of poor handling by the Oil . If he was Detroits or many others property he would be coming in with confidence after 4 years of grooming . Not us , he was misread right out of the gate . I hope he makes it and think he will but it maybe with another organization . Acton is an AHL player but may still have some value if we get in injury trouble & make no “C” trades .Tambo started a decent organization in Okl but due to his incompetance as a G.M. he misread both NHL & AHL talent .

6. Hall Awaits says:

@EdmontonOilers: #Oilers fwds vs. WPG tomorrow –> Yakupov-RNH-Eberle, Pouliot-Draisaitl-Tkachev, Kessy-Ewanyk-Pitlick, Miller-Yakimov-C.Hamilton

@EdmontonOilers: #Oilers D vs. WPG tomorrow –> Schultz-Aulie, Klefbom-Gernat, Nurse-Marincin. Goalie tandem will be Rimmer and Brossoit.

Doesn’t look like Pitlick is getting much of a push. It will be interesting to see who he plays with once all the juniors head back. If it’s Kessy or Ewanyk again, the writings on the wall.

7. slopitch says:

Pouzar,

LOL it took me 15s of WTF before I realized those were tonights linups.

8. supernova says:

It seems Eakins wants Pitlick to be a 4th line crash and bang guy anything above that he will have to wait for an additional break or out earned 4 line duty.

Still nip and tuck for him to beat out Joensuu.

9. Frank The Dog says:

It’s going to be ugly for Aulie tonight. Tractor playing with Chaos.

10. russ99 says:

Good to see Yak get a shot with the first line, but why are they moving him to LW? Doesn’t make sense. He’s a lethal shot from the right side, why turn him around?

Aulie – Schultz is a really interesting experiment. Sink or swim time for Justin. Hopefully he shows he’s turned the corner.

11. Ducey says:

The sense I get is that Pitlick has not done anything of interest in training camp so far. If he is truly ready, he should be carrying that line tomorrow.

Unless Pitlick really shows well, they should keep Lander and be scanning the waiver wire and talking to GM’s about low cost pickups for the last RW spot. If nothing of interest comes up, give it to Pinizotto and waive Pitlick. I would be surprised if he was picked up.

Pinizotto at least gives them the opportunity to have a shutdown 4th line. He skates well, seems to have a clue out there, has decent hands, can agitate and fight if necessary.

12. hunter1909 says:

There’s a Colorado Avalanche HF Boards thread currently going about why the Oilers blow; it’s as good a cross section of analysis there is to read anywhere, once you sift out the few axe grinding opinions. It’s a great outside perspective, on what outsiders see wrong about the Oilers.

Many differing opinions. Many of them make sense.

13. Obiwan Eberle says:

I admit that I am pissy today, but…

considering how unstructured both Oilers teams looked, compared to the fLames this weekend, what reason is there for further endurance testing….systems, systems and more systems please.

14. nycoil says:

Friedman had hist 30 thoughts last night. Nothing Oiler-related, but someone needs to pass this on to Eakins about cycling and hockey not being a good mix; very interesting read on summer workouts and their pitfalls.

15. Pouzar says:

hunter1909: There’s a Colorado Avalanche HF Boards thread currently going about why the Oilers blow; it’s as good a cross section of analysis there is to read anywhere, once you sift out the few axe grinding opinions. I’d recommend anyone wanting to see what outsiders see about this team should read it.Many differing opinions. Many of them make sense.Khaira? Barring call ups, send him and Moroz to the AHL and leave them there to develop/retire from injury. Both seem like injury free players, which(cough M.A.Pouliot) is a good thing.

Have you ever read HFOil? It’s the most disturbing pieces of garbage ever propagated on man. It wouldn’t surprise me if Avalanche fans over there made more sense. However, I am guilty of reading HFOil from time to time just get my blood flow going. I am sick like that…kinda like not being able to take yer eyes off the bad car accident on yer local highway.

16. Pouzar says:

slopitch: Pouzar, LOL it took me 15s of WTF before I realized those were tonights linups.You can trade him maybe I dont think you can bail on Lander yet. He may be vanilla but his AHL offense is too high and its possible this is the year it translated. He can also PK and has a history of character (captain at a young age).

Those are the lineups for Wed in WPG.

I will be there. Full scouting report upcoming. 🙂

17. nycoil says:

Pouzar,

18. Pouzar says:

nycoil: Pouzar, HF everything is despicable. Hate it. It’s like the comments section of ON, but without the articles. I only venture over there if I have to dig for old articles or subject matter from years ago and google sends me there. The only forum possibly worse is ESPN’s Facebook-driven comments section. Absolute drivel. Oh, CNN’s is horrible, too.

Yeah I hear ya…I got banned there pretty quickly. I don’t play nice with stupidity. It least it lead me to this place where I can read, learn, and shoot the sh!t.

19. Jordan says:

To troll, or not to troll… that is the question.

While I recognize that posting a link the the brass bonanza on youtube serves no purpose other than to aggravate our beloved host… there’s a part of me that wants to treat him like that uncle we’ve all got with the weird sense of humour. He reacts like vinegar & baking soda when you skewer him, but laughs about it and gives back as good as he gets.

No clue it’ that’s actually the case or not, but… maybe… since we’re being asked to play nicer today, I’ll just include this warning:

Listen at your own risk.

20. nycoil says:

hunter1909,

Pouzar,

Just to give the dialogue here a fair shake, I went over there to see what the fuss was about on the Avs’ board. There are some surprisingly balanced views that essentially discuss the whole problem of the lack of 6s and 7s and 9s, as well as the lack of a strong coaching presence, a #1 goalie, and a top pair D-man. That’s all fair.

The stuff that drives me up a wall is this opinion that picking Nuge over Landeskog and Yakupov over Murray and even Hall over Seguin, were all mistakes. I asked the question here in another thread if you’d take Seguin/Landeskog/Galchenyuk (or Murray) over Hall/Nuge/Yakupov and everyone jumped all over me even though I was only posing the question. As a group, currently, I’d take the group we didn’t draft, but think the group we did take still has a chance to turn the tables. That said, on an individual basis, I would have taken the players we took in each and every case, although I was really torn on Taylor vs Tyler at the time. But that made me curious, so I looked around a bit and found an HF poll on Nuge vs Landeskog for both now and the future. Neutral fans voted more than 2:1 for Landeskog over Nuge (meaning if you left out Avs and Oil fans you’d be something like 70% Landy, 30% Nuge).

And that’s why I don’t go to HF Boards if I can help it, right there. I get stupider by reading that crap. I really hope Nuge proves all his doubters wrong this year. 30-60-90. Make them eat crow, baby-faced assassin, make them eat crow.

21. Ca$h-Money! says:

Sad to hear we lost a poster. As a guy with occasional idiotic points of view and a lack of time & effort to dig up supporting materials, let me be the first to say that this site is my preferred destination. I find that, for the most part, people put me in my place without making me feel bad about myself.

If I could, right now, I’d give all of you a big hug. One of those really awkward hugs you have with a good friend after he tells you he loves you, and your response is something along the lines of “oh.. .ya…. you too bud…”

22. Caramel Obvious says:

Once you realize two things:

23. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

The insertion of Tkachev on line 2 may be the go/no go on a contract for the young man? I know size is such a tough obstacle to ignore – particularly when you are as small as he is – but the kid has shown some moxie. Must be unbelievably intimidating for him when you factor in sudden cultural orientation on top of everything else. Everything is uncomfortable and unknown for him including the fact he is here without a proper invite (being legitimately drafted). I’m really cheering for him and hope he is the good news story from this TC.

24. Doug McLachlan says:

Caramel Obvious,
    Absolutely agree on Yakupov. Arco is the safe bet right now but the “plan” would be to pair him with Kraftwerk. Would love them to play with the switch in the “safe” setting of a pre-season game or two and see if the chemistry is there. We all think it will be chaos but knowing that they have no net might create the awakening we are looking for.

As for Lander, I still think there is reason to consider that Yak2 could jump into that spot just because of his physical presence. Again, the preseason is the chance to play those experiments.

25. Pouzar says:

Any other LTers gonna eba the WPG game?

I am not behind the bench for this one. I am up in the pressbox (level 300…I’ll be able to smell Rocky’s gum). Great vantage point for viewing the game though. You really learn so much,
    I remember a goal last year that Petry was blamed on for “giving it away” on the half board in his own end. What one couldn’t see on TV was a lazy line change that left Petry completely hanging as he had no outlet and you could just see that he wasn’t expecting that. Love that kind of stuff.

26. Lois Lowe says:

I was thinking about the Oilers’ goal song this morning and I think I found the perfect one.

27. nycoil says:

Lois Lowe,

Better than Pitbull? (Not hard) Check!
    Annoyingly upbeat like Chelsea Dagger? Check!
    Playful reference to one of the players’ names? Check!

You know in Japanese baseball the band in the outfield bleachers plays a customized cheer song for each player at bat? That would be kind of cool if applied to hockey. You know, so when Luke Gazdic scores his one goal for the year, we’d hear his preferred song just once, and we’d hear whatever Hall likes 15~20 times a year (assuming he scores a little over half his goals at home).

28. RexLibris says:

Ran across this article this morning and it got me thinking about the recent shift in coaching/analytics in hockey.

Brian Clough was a thinking man’s coach in football (soccer) ahead of his time. He ran Leeds United for 44 days before being run out of town for trying to introduce things like player fitness and systems play, was hounded by the press and nearly quit before going to coach Nottingham.

There’s a terrific movie about him starring Michael Sheen, Damned United, that I’d highly recommend.

29. raventalon40 says:

Tkachev-Yakimov-Chase
    Roy-Acton-Platzer
    Pakarinen-Lander-Pinizzotto
    Moroz-Khaira-Westgarth

Nurse-Hunt
    Musil-Klefbom
    Oesterle-Simpson
    Aulie

Bachman
    Brossoit

30. Pouzar says:

Caramel Obvious: A lot of senseless handwringing over Yakupov. The lines as set up right now are the best possible combination of players. Every other combination only makes the deficiencies worse.Once you realize two things:1) Numbering lines is a meaningless construct. Yakupov is not on the third line because there is no such thing as a third line.2) Today, Arcobello is a better hockey player than Draisatl. Playing Yakupov with Arcobello is better for Yakupov. Yakupov and Draisatl together would be run over like a freight train. So the combinations work for everyone. The power line gets to use their synergy. Gordon and Hendricks take the tough zone starts and make best use of their abilities. Draisatl gets two experienced wingers to carry him. That leaves Arcobello, Purcell, and Yakupov together which is a very nice line that will likely get some choice competition. So when posters ask why Eakins isn’t positioning Yakupov to succeed what they don’t realize is that this is what positioning him to succeed looks like. The irrational Yakupov lovers and Eakins haters need to take a step back and see the board.

Well said.

And if one poster says that Nuge and Eberle don’t want to pass to Yakupov I will hunt you down like a rabid dog.

I scanned the last couple of threads and didn’t see anything.

Don’t want to revive any drama, but who left and who was arguing with them?

32. hunter1909 says:

Caramel Obvious: So when posters ask why Eakins isn’t positioning Yakupov to succeed what they don’t realize is that this is what positioning him to succeed looks like.
    The irrational Yakupov lovers and Eakins haters

This is like great political argument from the 19th century.

33. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: it can get personal and we lost a valued poster yesterday for no good reason beyond my neglect. I don’t catch everything, so please be good to each other. Thanks.I scanned the last couple of threads and didn’t see anything.Don’t want to revive any drama, but who left and who was arguing with them?

Yeah…did I miss something?

34. danny says:

Woodguy:

I scanned the last couple of threads and didn’t see anything.

Don’t want to revive any drama, but who left and who was arguing with them?

I was wondering the same… for science…

I would prefer to keep the name anonymous, as there’s always a chance he/she will return. Thanks.

36. Oiler_in_Mexico says:

7C job? I believe you meant 7D there Allan. Keep up the great work on the blog(s) and the radio show, you make it easier to follow the Oilers from down here in Mexico.

37. nycoil says:

Woodguy,

The posts in question from last night have been removed. If I’ve ever offended anyone, I apologize. It must be the NYC in me. I like a good argument. 😉

38. Pouzar says:

Can we still make fun of HF Posters?

39. danny says:

How bout them Expos?

Another October heartbreak is upon us! ( two including opening night for the Oilers)

40. Ca$h-Money! says:

If it’s Rickithebear I’ll full blown cry.

41. thepeetso says:

Caramel Obvious:
    A lot of senseless handwringing over Yakupov.The lines as set up right now are the best possible combination of players.Every other combination only makes the deficiencies worse.

Once you realize two things:

1) Numbering lines is a meaningless construct.Yakupov is not on the third line because there is no such thing as a third line.

2) Today, Arcobello is a better hockey player than Draisatl.Playing Yakupov with Arcobello is better for Yakupov.Yakupov and Draisatl together would be run over like a freight train.

So the combinations work for everyone.The power line gets to use their synergy.Gordon and Hendricks take the tough zone starts and make best use of their abilities.Draisatl gets two experienced wingers to carry him.That leaves Arcobello, Purcell, and Yakupov together which is a very nice line that will likely get some choice competition.

Truth right there.

I do wonder if on home ice, where Eakins will have a little more control over the matchups, if he’d be willing to run a line with Yak and Kraftwerk together.

I do think they’ll look wonderful together on that 2nd unit PP.

42. RexLibris says:

nycoil: Woodguy, The posts in question from last night have been removed. If I’ve ever offended anyone, I apologize. It must be the NYC in me. I like a good argument. Love the opportunity Vladdy Hockey is getting tonight. Hope he makes the most of it and seals the deal.

This made me think of the Oakland Seals and then I got angry at you for jinxing Tkachev but I think I’m over it now.

😉

43. icecastles says:

When I first started to get “serious” as a fan and following things like prospect development (and this blog), I really didn’t comprehend the myriad ways a young player’s progress could stall, go sideways, or off the rails entirely. I found the guarded optimism on here closer to cynicism and was convinced every prospect was going to be an Oiler and the ones who weren’t would be bringing us back first round picks, solid veterans, and gold bricks.

I’ve since learned a lot, gained a deeper appreciation for how these things go, and learned to temper my enthusiasm with a healthy dose of reality.

But looking into the talent pool right now, it’s hard not to be at least a little bit giddy. The pipeline may not be oozing Gretzkys (Gretzkies?) and Fuhrs and Coffees, but it seems to me (who still doesn’t follow prospects anywhere near as close as many on here) that it’s got to be as deep as we’ve seen in many a year. Surely OKC has to start looking like at least something of a threat for the Calder this year…

44. Jordan says:

Pouzar: Well said.

You do realize that rabid dogs are actually poorer hunters, as their mental faculties are reduced due to the rabies virus attacking their nervous systems, right?

icecastles:

It’s strange – every year since the 2010, I see the prospect pool and think – man, this is much better than last year. And the team goes out and loses a lot.

I’m not sure if out prospect pool is actually getting deeper, or if there’s just better hype about the prospects we bring it. Regardless, the media personalities who cover this (Willis, Mitchell, McCurdy et. al) do a great job of covering the young players and selling the hope.

Even if the Oilers never make the playoffs again, I really like this community. Its been really good for me though – I’ve learned a lot about patience, being realistic, risk management, calculated communication, human nature and a little about effective management.

So while I’m left wondering if Yakimov is going to turn out to be a better player than JFJ, I wanted to be sure to thank all of you wonderful and thoughtful posters for your contributions here. Especially you thoughtful types. While I love the humour & cynicism which has helped take the sting out of the losing, it’s the people who take the time to eloquently explain their positions that mean the most to me. Or, in the case of rickithebear, not so eloquently, but effectively.

Thank you all.

45. icecastles says:

nycoil: The posts in question from last night have been removed. If I’ve ever offended anyone, I apologize. It must be the NYC in me. I like a good argument.

Dang. I hate when I miss a good argument on here. Need to start reading the threads again instead of just the articles.

But so I don’t miss out on another good argument, let me take it upon myself to say:

The contracts are way to generous to Eberle and Nuge won’t pass to Yakupov because Eakins can’t communicate with Petry being soft and needs to fight more because we need enforcers in the lineup like MacIntyre has no place in the modern NHL should expand across the pond to European players have no compete is all that matters and not your damn fancy stats.

There. My work here is done.

46. Lois Lowe says:

Jordan,

You do realize that the expression is about hunting down rabid dogs, not about rabid dogs hunting, right?

47. icecastles says:

Lois Lowe:
    Jordan,

You’re both wrong. The phrase is, “hunt you down like a rabbit dog.”
    Because if you saw some half-rabbit half-dog abomination, you’d have no choice but to hunt that mutant fucker down.

48. Pouzar says:

Jordan,

Just great….now they’ll all be posting it!

49. Lois Lowe says:

icecastles,

I would totally hunt El Chupucabra.

50. icecastles says:

Lois Lowe: I would totally hunt El Chupucabra.

We need to find a player to whom we can apply this nickname.

51. Pouzar says:

Sidebar: Everyone’s fav. bottle of Red Wine under $25? ( Don’t be THAT guy either). 🙂

Can’t bring myself to spend more than that. Sorry. But I love the stuff.

52. Jordan says:

icecastles: We need to find a player to whom we can apply this nickname.

Well, that clearly has to be Brad Hunt, now, doesn’t it?

53. 106 and 106 says:

“However, it can get personal and we lost a valued poster yesterday for no good reason beyond my neglect. ”

The posters are what make this blog epic. Two years ago when I started reading this blog, I was one of those guys who believed that teams were about “truculence” and “compete level.” I’m a changed man now, a better fan and I enjoy the game more because of the intelligent banter that goes on in the comments section.

Just wanted to say thanks, and sorry that we lost a gooder.

54. nycoil says:

Pouzar,

Domaine de Valmoissine, 2008 Pinot Noir from Maison Louis Latour.
    Very drinkable right now.

55. delooper says:

Jordan:
    It’s strange – every year since the 2010, I see the prospect pool and think – man, this is much better than last year.And the team goes out and loses a lot.

I think you’re pretty much spot-on. Except the problem was the prospect pool started in the dumps, in part because the Oilers lacked a proper farm system for so long.

56. nycoil says:

icecastles,

Just to be clear, I’m pretty sure I had nothing to do with THE argument in question. Was just apologizing in general for my misbehaviour. There, guilt is off my chest, and I can go back to being grumpy. Now, get off my lawn!

57. delooper says:

Lois Lowe:
    I would totally hunt El Chupucabra.

I miss Dr. Bambi Berenbaum.

58. Bos8 says:

Pouzar:
    Sidebar: Everyone’s fav. bottle of Red Wine under $25?( Don’t be THAT guy either).

Can’t bring myself to spend more than that. Sorry. But I love the stuff.

Comes in a Malbec as well.

Trade for someone else’s favorite tipple.

59. Ryan says:

Pouzar:

Can’t bring myself to spend more than that. Sorry. But I love the stuff.

For reds, I mostly drink cabs or Pinot noirs…

In random order:

1. J. lohr seven oaks cab
    2. trim cab California
    3.truchard cab
    4. The show cab
    5. Sandhill cab merlot if you want something from bc

60. RMGS says:

RexLibris:

Cool.

I’ve often wondered about the difference in the way soccer and hockey are discussed by ‘expert’ analysts and fans in general. In soccer, the game is discussed in terms of tactics, systems, and formations with older and newer stats (soccer also is undergoing an analytics awakening) referenced for performance measurement. The measures have been expanding, but they’re not the focus in the discussion. Rather, it’s what tactics, systems, and formations are used with a particular team of players to generate results (measured in terms of goals, passes, possession, etc.).

Hockey, on the other hand, is discussed traditionally in ‘scouting report’ terms or more recently in terms of analytics that more precisely measure performance. So, the game tends to be anayzed in terms of players’ individual hockey performance (whether by eye or number) with little attention placed on the tactics and systems deployed by teams.

I’ve enjoyed Kevin McCartney’s game reports in part because of his systems play discussion, and of course Dellow, Tulsky and others were delving into how particular plays (e.g. off face-offs) and tactics (e.g. carrying the puck into the OZ) generate different performance outcomes. But, save for discussions around line combinations, hockey talk tends to ignore tactics and systems.

61. russ99 says:

Caramel Obvious,

Two things:

Numbering lines is only silly when our coaching staff against the grain has decided to run 3 scoring lines spreading the bigs across lines – against primarily tough Western Conference opponents. Maybe that’s due to the personnel we currently have but the playoff teams were competing against in the jump towards a playoff spot aren’t set up that way and for good reason.

There’s two assumptions at work here: That Yak can only thrive on a skill line, and that Arco is a solid player in the offensive zone. These seem to be somewhat mutually exclusive so something is going to have to give. I really don’t see Yak having a better year than last year on a line with Arco and Purcell, it seems forced together so that Draisaitl can have optimal protection, and it also leaves us with an iffy shutdown line with Hendricks, Gordon and our facepuncher du jour.

I’m a huge fan of Yak and I think we’ve only scratched the surface of his potential, so I’d love to see the coaching staff play him in positions and with linemates where he can better use that potential. Hopefully our next preseason game is a good start for that.

62. nycoil says:

RMGS,

What I find even more interesting is anticipating the next phase of where sports analytics may go. I believe if you look two steps forward. Ie, right now, analytics are focused on deployment, strategy, tactics. The next phase is this:

They customize all the way down to the “Gatorade” formula, level, amount, timing, that individual athletes should consume to maximize performance at practice, game, recovery, etc. So for example, Nuge can optimize his training by doing these things (all tracked digitally in real-time so the athlete and coach/management can see on their devices what’s going on), while Yak2 should be doing other things.

With the amounts owners are investing in their millionaire athletes these days, it’s very interesting to see how this shakes out. These guys have some Russian investors so they’ve got a contract with the KHL. But NBA and NFL teams, as well as Aussie Football League, many of the European soccer powerhouses are starting to use them. NHL is behind the curve here, as usual, but it could be very interesting.

63. Hammers says:

raventalon40: Should ice the fringe team against WPG. Let the cream rise to the top, as it may.Tkachev-Yakimov-ChaseRoy-Acton-PlatzerPakarinen-Lander-PinizzottoMoroz-Khaira-WestgarthNurse-HuntMusil-KlefbomOesterle-SimpsonAulieBachmanBrossoitI basically took the two lineups from EDM vs/@ CGY, and chopped out the sure hires and the early cuts (Baltisberger)

They have to dress a certain # of NHL players in these preseason games

64. Pouzar says:

nycoil: Pouzar, Domaine de Valmoissine, 2008 Pinot Noir from Maison Louis Latour.Very drinkable right now.Best part? You get $12 change back for your $25. Mind you, that’s the price in the US. Canadian alcohol taxes are nuts

Good stuff…will give a look and taste!

65. Kmart99 says:

russ99,

russ99:

russ99:

Moving Yak to the left makes sense because it helps the breakout. He’ll still be on the RW on the PP, and don’t be surprised if a system is put in place that has him cross over to the RW whenever he’s in the offensive zone.

In my experience I always enjoyed breaking out and defending on my natural side, but preferred to play the offensive zone on my off wing. I was getting hte same feeling from Ramsay in his Gregor interview… i think that was the one anyway.

66. malinpaul says:

nycoil,

You know what I like to think about with the Hall/Nuge/Yak over Seguin/Landeskog/Murray? How would you like to have 3 of these guys on the same team.

here’s to the future!

(for the record, I take Hall, Nuge and Murray – but I am hoping Yak pans out)

(oh, and I still think Nuge will be a late bloomer and will be the best of them all in the long run – say at 26/27 yrs)

67. Pouzar says:

Bos8: $25 is too high. You want a $15 cutoff, then you don’t feel guilty when you start on the second bottle. The idea is to partake more often..You’re in luck – Don David Cab Sav – Argentinian to boot, sold in your friendly booze can.Comes in a Malbec as well.Trade for someone else’s favorite tipple.

BOS I like the cut of yer jib!
    I never spend that much…just thought I would up the limit just because.

I rarely go over the $15. Nice suggestion as Cab-Sav and Malbecs are my 2 favs.
    Can’t go wrong with them Argentinian Malbecs!

68. Pouzar says:

Ryan: Well, if you like drinking wine and are looking for a nice bottle under $25, then the conversation starts with the Superstore liquor store… They sell wine for ridiously low prices. The south common location has a good selection.For reds, I mostly drink cabs or Pinot noirs…In random order:1. J. lohr seven oaks cab2. trim cab California3.truchard cab4. The show cab5. Sandhill cab merlot if you want something from bcIf you want to splurge a bit, a bottle of Peter Lehman mentor can be had for about $34 and it’s outstanding.

Holy F6ck you guys are a smart a$$ bunch! or just have awesome taste. 🙂
    Ryan nails it.
    #1 is the only time I go over my $15 limit…LOVE ME SOME J LOHR!!!!

Cheers everyone…I am writing all these down.

1) We are all “moneypuck” guys now. So why are so many obsessing about small sample sizes of pre-season performance. As long as the guy who has a track record arrives fit and doesn’t stink out the joint, the track record should trump the small sample size of a training camp.

2) Draisaitl is going to get two veteran wingers who have a small standard deviation in performance level. So Draisaitl can develop in a “stable” environment. He won’t see Yakupov, except on the power play till after Christmas. Everything in due time.

3) It would be nuts to repeat the Lander mistake and have Yakimov start in the NHL (injuries excepted, of course).

4) Pitlick is the guy least likely to clear waivers at the start of the season. If he fails in the NHL, then one might be able to sneak him through. He has pedigree, and teams will blame the organization and the injuries. Somebody will take a look. Lander is 2nd least likely. But he is ready for the 4th line, PB, and limited duty.

70. Bos8 says:

I’ll confess to my distress.

As I write this, I have a box of Mixtus on the kitchen counter – Cab Merlot blend., Argentinian. My sister in BC has Beaujolais Villages in a box – rats.

It even goes with Pizza, Spaghet or Hangburgers, as opposed to some raw Broglio.

71. tubes says:

Pouzar,

Mollydooker – The Boxer is an outstanding shiraz if you like a FULL bodied red. 16% but not too hot from the high alc. content. It’s just plummy delicious goodness. Think it’s $28 at Sherbrooke.

Le Crema – Sonoma Coast or Monterey. Both are Pinot Noir’s. Sonoma is one of the smoothest bottles for under $30 and Monterey is similar but has more texture and body aka “gritangibles.”

As everyone else said, J.Lohr is delicious and for under $20 at SS, remarkable value.

72. book¡je says:

It was Steve Smith and I. I suggested that I had become little more than a casual observer of the Oilers who just popped in randomly every once in a while to offer a sarcastic, but useless, comment.

Steve then said that he had become even more detached from paying attention to the Oilers and that his comments were even less useful.

I wasn’t going to let him get away with that kind of crap, so I told him that his comments were some of the most poignant on this site and that he was one of the more valuable commenters here.

It got pretty bad with me accusing him of being Ghandi-esk and him saying I was akin to the Dali Lama.

In any case, Steve quit the site and I swore that I would never post again.

73. czar says:

Pouzar,

Ryan,

tubes,

Thanks men, off to the SSL to purchase some wine.

74. Jordan says:

book¡je: It was Steve Smith and I.I suggested that I had become little more than a casual observer of the Oilers who just popped in randomly every once in a while to offer a sarcastic, but useless, comment.

It got pretty bad with me accusing him of being Ghandi and him calling me akin to the Dali Lama.

In any case, Steve quit the site and I swore that I would never post again.

75. Bos8 says:

Jordan: Based on your post, (and in honour of Steve Smith’s memory) I don’t think that “I swore that I would never post again” means what you think it means…

Well said

76. Bag of Pucks says:

RE: Wines under $25.

If you like a robust red with notes of oak, chocolate and coffee, I highly recommend the CA Cab-Sauv Carnivor.

Very flavourful, complex wine, and a pleasant buzz.

77. Frank The Dog says:

I do hope Steve Smith does come back though. Bookie too of course. But I thought I saw a post to a different poster suggesting some travel accompanied by some difficult self-gratification.

78. blainer says:

Caramel Obvious:

Once you realize two things:

I never really looked at it from that point of view but that is a great way to look at it. We have been watching play by play people breaking down the lines from 1st to 4th and same with the D. I wonder if in the near future we see the lineup set as power vs power and Dzone players vs sheltered players and sheltered lines vs sheltered lines for example… I’m starting to get confused..Does that make sense?

79. Bar_Qu says:

#Oilers reduce their training camp roster by 18. Here's the full list: http://t.co/CK2wLANIIE— Chris Wescott (@TheChrisWescott) September 23, 2014

No surprises there. I’m glad Chase is back to kill it in the WHL and get the kind of playing time he needs.

I don’t think there is a lot of doubt he’s an NHL’r down the road.

80. oliveoilers says:

RexLibris:

I grew up in England when Cloughy was manager of Nottingham Forrest and his son Nigel played for him. Cloughy wasn’t above physically abusing his players. One story is that there was a player called Nigel Jemson who had a poor first half. Cloughy walked straight into the dressing room and told him to stand up. Jemson did. Then Cloughy punched him as hard as he could in the stomach, then uttered “there, now you have an excuse to play like a sack of shit, young man.” Inspired, and light years ahead of it’s time as a management tool.

81. Bag of Pucks says:

nycoil:

Interesting comment about the ‘swarm’ defense in there.

“A lot of talk on the weekend about new defensive responsibilities for the Maple Leafs…One of the keys, apparently, is the team will not “swarm” until the puck is stopped or the puck carrier under control. Last year, the swarm began beforehand, which led to breakdowns.”

Given that Eakins’ came up through the Leafs system and was a huge proponent of the swarm system coming over to the Oil, I would hope this catches the eye of Oiler mgmt and coaching.

Seems to indicate there was a fairly significant gap between the theoretical and practical applications of that defense.

There was a number of occasions last year when I watched our players ‘swarm’ towards a moving puckcarrier in the D zone only to leave a potential pass recipient wide open in the slot, and thought to myself ‘that can’t work’ Makes a lot more sense for the swarm to trigger when it’s a less fluid situation.

Still reminds me a tad too much of of blitzing in football though, which is the ultimate high risk / high reward tactic. Would think it’s the type of system you deploy when you’re trying to leverage a system to overcome a talent deficit vs the opposition? The question I would have for Eakins is, does the swarm system make the best use of the talent advantage that the Oilers should bring into most games? Do we really need to ‘outman’ the opposition all over the ice to be effective?

Article is up on the cuts, with another to come.

83. corykg says:

From a quick 15 minute glimpse of training camp in Leduc today…

Ramsay led one group skating while another was to do fitness testing later in the morning.

Two drills I saw were 1: simple 3 men breakouts. Two dmen to a forward and get your ass north. Drill 2: dump the puck into the offensive corner, 5 man unit into offensive zone, 1st forechecker digs puck out and finds open man in middle of ice for a SOG.

Very simple. Skating, passing, get comfortable with where you should be. No defenders to work against even.

84. Deadman Waiting says:

The last outstanding commercial bottle I’ve had was a La Frenz 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon. Mostly I obtain my commercial wine in restaurants now, by the glass, two or three rounds per meal, lately with an emphasis on robust Italians.

I’m pretty sure I could spend a year in Piedmont and never drink the same wine twice. Close to the top of every list (with rare exceptions) is the one I haven’t tried yet.

I even purchase my coffee beans in 100 or 150 g allotments. Recently I had three estate Kenyas and three estate Guatemalas in hand at the same time. Then I’ll go through one bag drinking the same thing. The six-pack affair doesn’t happen often as I only drink two cups per day (by self-imposed religious decree). Ultimately, the bottom 50 g of each Guatemala was set aside in double freezer bags for a rainy day—I wasn’t able to get through all six bags during the window of optimal freshness, and the Kenyas were more to my taste. One day I had two weeks’ supply in hand for at most a week of lingering freshness, so I made my cuts.

My wash-out varietal—the one where I drink the same coffee straight through—is usually an earthy Sumatra or something rich and smooth and very clean, but not overly differentiated.

My taste pretty much breaks down to a frenzy of New Horizons followed by a convalescence with the Old Horizontal.

———

I didn’t comment much on the music books I was reading.

My favorite so far is How Music Works by David Byrne, front man of the Talking Heads. He describes himself as being slightly aspy. He’s a shockingly lucid writer, but eventually one detects that he’s careful about sticking to square canals. (“Eventually” was well into my second reading of my favorite passages.) This book could almost be subtitled “In Praise of Eclectic Taste”.

My favorite chapter was Chapter Six: Collaborations.

This chapter concludes with a three-page set piece subtitled “Emergent Storytelling”.

So I begin by improvising a melody over the music. I do this by singing nonsense syllables, but with a weirdly inappropriate passion, given that I’m not saying anything. Once I have a wordless melody and a vocal arrangement that my collaborators (if there are any) and I like, I’ll begin to transcribe that gibberish as if it were real words.

I’ll listen carefully to the meaningless vowels and consonants on the recording, and I’ll try to understand what that guy (me), emoting so forcefully but inscrutibly [sic], is actually saying. It’s like a forensic exercise. I’ll follow the sound of the nonsense syllables as closely as possible. If a melodic phrase of gibberish ends on a high ooh sound, then I’ll transcribe that, and in selecting actual words, I’ll try to choose one that ends in that syllable, or as close to it as I can get. So the transcription process often ends with a page of real words, still fairly random, that sound just like the gibberish.

I do that because the difference between an ooh and an ahh, and B and TH sound is, I assume, integral to the emotion that the story wants to express. I want to stay true to that unconscious, inarticulate intention. Admittedly that content has no narrative, or might make no literal sense yet, but it’s in there—I can hear it. My job at this state is to find the words that acknowledge and adhere to the sonic and emotional qualities rather than ignore and destroy them.

Well, that’s my quotation limit for a single post, and he’s not making it easy to eliminate a single word in precis, so I’ll have to pick up the thread again on another day. For now, I’ll toss out a small reveal: if more people ventured into the extreme forms of self-collaboration, I think there would be fewer public rows.

Think the other guy is unreasonable? Try spending some quality time going head-to-head with your inner self.

85. regwald says:

Pouzar:

Can’t bring myself to spend more than that. Sorry. But I love the stuff.

Get a Gretzky bottle Merlot or one of his other reds. About $20 and no, I am not joking. It is good value for the price.

86. hunter1909 says:

Bos8: Screw the hoi polloi, I’m going down. Three litres in a box, thirty bucks, a glass or two anytime – no vacuum pump.
    It even goes with Pizza, Spaghet or Hangburgers

The turpentine taste goes away after the 3rd glass.

Bag of Pucks: Btw, why do liquor reviews never mention the quality of the buzz? That’s a key part of the experience, no?

Because in 90% of cases it’s just a thing going on between the liver and the bloodstream.

The part of the bloodstream streaming through the brain.

oliveoilers: One story is that there was a player called Nigel Jemson who had a poor first half. Cloughy walked straight into the dressing room and told him to stand up. Jemson did. Then Cloughy punched him as hard as he could in the stomach, then uttered “there, now you have an excuse to play like a sack of shit, young man.”

MacEakins would say nothing, keeping the juicy parts for the press conference.

Deadman Waiting: How Music Works by David Byrne

Reminds me of Punch Imlach’s book: “Happy Days With the Big M”.

87. icecastles says:

Oilers are having a contest (if you can call it that) on their site to nominate the new goal song.

Ignoring for a moment that the fucking horn should be enough, and the whole “goal song” thing feels contrived, distracting, anti-spontaneous and silly, it is too late to get Private Eyes playing?

Clap clap.

88. delooper says:

icecastles:

Clap clap.

How about some Hank Williams, like “Angel of death” or “Hey good lookin'” or “I just don’t like this kind of livin'”. 🙂

delooper: How about some Hank Williams, like “Angel of death” or “Hey good lookin’” or “I just don’t like this kind of livin’”.:)

I Can’t Help It (If I’m Still in Love with You). My Dad used to listen to that song over and over again when I was little. The Linda Ronstadt/Emmylou Harris version is beautiful.

90. hunter1909 says:

“They’re Coming To Take Me Away” By Napoleon XIV nominated as the goal song.

They build a scaffold above centre ice; at the end of each Oilers home loss, or OT loss, a wax dummy modeled by Tussaud’s of Kevin Lowe plunges to it’s ersatz demise at the end of a rope.

lol

91. TheNemesister says:

Pouzar,

Fat Bastard, $17, your choice between: Merlot, Cab Sauv, or Pinot
    (I prefer the Pinot)
    Cheers 🙂

hunter1909:
    “They’re Coming To Take Me Away” By Napoleon XIV nominated as the goal song.

lol