FLAMES AT OILERS, G1 2014-15

It was May 10, 1970. It was a Sunday. Our television had broken earlier in the year (it was a big cabinet television) so I was in the kitchen listening to the yellow radio my Mom would spend hours with trying to find Patsy Cline.  I paced the room as the excitement built throughout the afternoon—this was a Sunday and I was in Burns Lake, BC, so my recollection is afternoon/early evening, long before dark—and when the announcer yelled (in overtime) “Orr scores! Bobby Orr flying through the air!” a lifelong love affair with the game of hockey was sealed. It began miles before in Maple Ridge, but my devotion to hockey, the day it took deep down in my soul as mine and mine alone—came May 10, 1970.

I’m sure you have similar memories. I know in talking to many younger friends over the years that MAJOR turns in fan choice occurred in an instant; an example would be Todd Marchant’s OT goal against Dallas bringing in a flood of new fans to the team from all different, less exciting teams. It happens. Chemistry, the mind’s eye, the thrill of hockey as a game. It’s opening night! Bless you, Oilers. I pray to the Hockey Gods we see a better game than the ‘Troubadour” opening night a year ago.

petry screen shot 3

The dawn of a new season always brings hope for a brand new day, even as clouds appear on the trade horizon. The Edmonton Oilers enter another season out of balance and are fully aware of the problem, but it probably means Jeff Petry is heading out of town.

• Darren Dreger “The Edmonton Oilers are weak up the middle of the ice and we know that Craig MacTavish is looking for a center. Not to suggest that they’re shopping (Petry) … It’s not a perfect scenario to have an 18-year-old in Leon Draisaitl as your second line center … But (Petry’s) a piece of the puzzle they might use if there is a center who fits with their need.” Source

dreger wings petry I don’t see a fit from center from the Red Wings—least season their C’s were Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Darren Helm, Riley Sheahan, Stephen Weiss, Luke Glendening, and Joakim Andersson. See anyone you like? I mean aside from Datsyuk and Z, and it’s doubtful they trade Sheahan. I like Helm, but for Petry? I don’t like that deal at all. Helm is a free agent 2016 summer.

The Oilers are a better team with Jeff Petry, but seem determined to do things the hard way. Again. I see no reasonable or rational argument for trading Jeff Petry now. It’s short sighted and counter productive, and shows that the Oilers see their RH future as Fayne and Schultz without Petry. File this under ‘this is why we can’t have nice things’ and wait for the Nick Schultz part of the deal. Le sigh.

PROJECTED LINEUP

LEFT WING CENTER RIGHT WING
TAYLOR HALL RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS JORDAN EBERLE
BENOIT POULIOT LEON DRAISAITL NAIL YAKUPOV
DAVID PERRON MARK AROBELLO TEDDY PURCELL
MATT HENDRICKS BOYD GORDON
JESSE JOENSUU

LEFT DEFENSE   RIGHT DEFENSE
NIKITA NIKITIN MARK FAYNE
ANDREW FERENCE JEFF PETRY
BRAD HUNT JUSTIN SCHULTZ

GOAL
  BEN SCRIVENS
  VIKTOR FASTH

This Oilers roster is among the youngest and lightest in the NHL, as per James Mirtle.

PETER POCKLINGTON

He’s a very divisive person in our community. You cannot—there is no way—put five Stanley’s in this city without him. A highwire act’s highwire act, Pocklington’s movie would already have been made had his story been written in a big American city. There are SO many incredible stories about Pocklington the mind boggles, and of course those of us who were here during the bad times (they were black as black can be) cannot forget even if we forgive.

So when Peter Puck comes back to town and says ‘I really don’t give a damn what some of the unwashed have to say’ I believe him. He’s an old man now and that highwire act caught up to him. I hope he has a good time in Edmonton, visiting with people he likes. As long as he doesn’t get within one million miles of owning anything I value, sail on Peter, thanks for the Stanley’s and the memories.

I met Peter Pocklington a few times, he’d come up to do the John Short show and sometimes spend a few minutes chatting. He was a very interesting fellow, larger than life as they say, and had charisma and a way about him. I also ended up in the same restaurant as Pocklington several times, including Louisiana Purchase and Il Portico. One time, and I had been drinking wine while out with my wife and friends, my buddy Dean (not you Belanger) kept asking me Oilery questions and I kept getting louder in my criticisms (this was probably around the Messier trade, I’m still mad). Anyway, Pocklington was sitting behind me and my table broke out in laughter at some point, and I discovered just how loud I’d been (Pocklington just smiled and went about his business. I assume he placed me firmly in the ‘unwashed’ category).

Anyway, he was part of the 1984 team and so he’s here. I don’t think people should cheer or jeer unless they want to, and whatever you do make it your own. Pocklington has for his entire life, that’s the kind of tribute he could relate to, at the very least.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

wood44At 10 this morning, TSN 1260. Dennis King kicks off the opening night coverage with a hard look at the Petry story, and we may venture into Pocklington before discussing the Nationals and NFL. After that, I’m joined by Thomas Drance from Canucks Army as we continue our trip through Canadian NHL cities with a look at the left coast. At 11, new Dad Ryan Batty from Copper & Blue has a lash at the 2014-15 Oilers and their unbalanced look to start the year. At 11:25 it’s Andrew Bucholtz from 55-yard line as we get ready for the CFL weekend and then Dave Jamieson pops in to preview his show and talk football.

10-1260 on the text, @Lowetide_ on the twitter. It’s a great day! Let the Corgi’s flow!

Oh, and….

!!!!!!!

weir

742 Responses to "FLAMES AT OILERS, G1 2014-15"

« Older Comments

Saw good: Gordon’s line, Petry, Purcell, Drysaddle.

Saw bad: Nikitin, Julz, Ference, Scrivens, Eberle

That’s too bad as they played mostly well.

I hope MacT questions his D decisions and can’t sleep.

You kinda have to beat a team slated for McDavid when they played the night before.

2. SK Oiler Fan says:

F off Shultz and your too cool to look like you’re trying attitude. This guy should be the bait for a C.
    Ference looks done, Imagine how he’ll look in game 82. Nikitin and Fayne are too slow to be a pairing. Petry is the only D worth a shit tonight and LT says they’re trading him. 25 of 60 minutes and no D. Same old story

3. Compete Level says:

SERIOUSLY. Stop it Oilers. This was not what I needed to start the morning with. The gift that keeps on giving. Edmonton Oilers. I’m done being optimistic about this team. It took ONE GAME to kill the hope I had. Bring Marincin back ASAP and sign Petry to an extension and also rid the team of the fitness captain Andrew “grititude, compete level” Ference. After that I shall rethink my pessimistic views. 5 AM people! You do not want to wake up that early to see the Oilers. Should have known better.

P.S. I’m just tired not really that angry.

4. Gerta Rauss says:

That’s too bad, feels a lot like game 1 against Winnipeg last year

5. russ99 says:

I hope Fasth takes his shot and runs with it. We can’t afford another goalie problem that deflates the team to start the year again.

And out comes the clown show on D. Right on cue.

6. flyfish1168 says:

Colborne for a fourth round pick sure looks good for the Phlegms

7. book¡je says:

G Money: This is the question that will define this game.

How do you completely dominate a team for 35 minutes, then allow that team that played the night before to outwork you in the third?

How is it even possible?

It’s like an Oiler specialty.

8. Derek says:

Seeeeek and Destroy!

9. crude says:

ffffffff

10. delooper says:

Well, that game could have gone better.

11. TheGreatMutato says:

This is so Oilers.

12. OilClog says:

Terrible

13. Suntory Hanzo says:

Why does Woodguy hate Marincin so much?

14. jp says:

So, the least of our worries here, but play blown dead for too many men, but not too many for a penalty? Huh.

15. G Money says:

Fayne is -3, Hall and Nuge -2, Ference -1. So why the hate for Ference?

16. Derek says:

Wow that was amazing.

17. SK Oiler Fan says:

Shultz should sit on Sat. Another awful effort

18. Chris says:

Free Marty Marincin!

19. Marcus Oilerius says:

James Norris: -2.
    Trade Bait Petry: 0.

20. jp says:

Derek:
    Seeeeek and Destroy!

Too little too late.

Nice to hear all the same.

21. wheatnoil says:

As soon as Calgary got that 3rd the Oilers had less jump. The forwards stopped coming back deep and the D had to make longer stretch passes; which got picked off more often than not and even when they hit, the forwards were too deep in the neutral zone, had no speed with little gap to the Calgary D to play with.

40 minutes of new Oilers hockey and the Flames get the lead and suddenly it’s last year’s Oilers again.

The corgis are nice and if they can run the possession like that in future games they’ll probably get the win, but I’m dispirited tonight. I’ll take a Book!je on this one.

22. TheGreatMutato says:

Can’t wait to read about how this is all Petry’s fault.

Well, I think you’ve got to credit the good things and honestly that’s a game you can win most of the time. As WG says above MacTavish and Eakins should re-think the wisdom of their TC decisions and for the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000th time GET A CENTER WITH EXPERIENCE.

24. gretzkytolemieux says:

Ben struggling mightily – looking forward to Victor on Saturday. Schultz fighting the puck A LOT. Can’t keep the puck in, can’t make a clean pass up the wall, countless failed attempts to carry the puck up ice. Who is looking great carrying the puck up from the back? Petry. I managed to watch the first 55 minutes of this one. Another painful night watching from Calgary. Glad I don’t have much of a temper, otherwise I wouldn’t be able have any nice things around during games….

25. Suntory Hanzo says:

This seems to fit the Oiler Game. No religious offence intended.

G Money:
    Fayne is -3, Hall and Nuge -2, Ference -1.So why the hate for Ference?

27. G Money says:

wheatnoil,

Yup, that’s exactly it. 5 minutes of confusion, 35 minutes of utterly dominant “new” hockey, then one mistake and soft goal against, and the entire gameplan goes to hell.

Might be best to consider this the final pre-season game and go from there…

28. Zelepukin says:

G Money:
    Fayne is -3, Hall and Nuge -2, Ference -1.So why the hate for Ference?

Terrible passes, terrible positioning, can’t keep the puck in.

29. cadooo says:

JUSTIN SCHULTZ 21 14 60
    BENOIT POULIOT 14 10 58
    MARK FAYNE 19 14 57
    NAIL YAKUPOV 11 9 55
    LEON DRAISAITL 11 12 47

30. Logan91 says:

First game of the season boys, no point in getting too worked up.

31. russ99 says:

gretzkytolemieux,

Schultz needs support, not a AHL player, as we saw many times last season.

That’s on the coaching staff.

32. Gordies Elbow says:

Won the corgis.

Scrivens with an 0.826 save percentage. Yep, defense was poor, but the slapshot was save able, if he wasn’t too deep in the crease.

Top line was poor, at best. Good thing the coach was doing such a great job of motivating his players, and developing a game plan that allowed them to win.

Hey, no jerseys tossed, right? Got that going for them, at least.

33. Zelepukin says:

The saddest part is even we put in Nurse next game, we’re probably taking out Hunt? Where as we need to take our Ference or Fayne.

34. Marcus Oilerius says:

With all those defensive breakdowns, do you really believe this is a game the Oilers win most of the time? Those weren’t lucky bounces for the Flames. Those were quality chances. Shots favored the Oilers heavily, but I’d say chances were even and the Flames had more top quality chances. How many times can two defencemen chase the same guy behind the goal line?

35. jake70 says:

wheatnoil:
    As soon as Calgary got that 3rd the Oilers had less jump. The forwards stopped coming back deep and the D had to make longer stretch passes; which got picked off more often than not and even when they hit, the forward were too deep in the neutral zone, had no speed with little gap to the Calgary to play with.

And immediately before that sequence of their 3rd goal, Nuge had a great chance in close and blew it wide again. Then bam, 3-2 Calgary. Has to hit the net…..has to.

36. flyfish1168 says:

Our defense men outside of Petry still horrible

37. TheGreatMutato says:

Logan91:
    First game of the season boys, no point in getting to worked up.

You spelled “256 days until the draft” wrong.

38. G Money says:

godot10: He is the captain and a veteran and he blew a simple trivial coverage on the go ahead game winning goal.

Except that’s only how it happened if you’re determined to make him the goat regardless of what actually happened. He had to cover the entire width of the ice to cover his defensive partner’s pinch against one of the faster players on the Flames, and he made up enough of that ground to force the player to shoot from the top of the circle and it still went in. If you want to assign blame, 60% is on Scrivens, 30% on Fayne for a poor pinch, and 10% on Ference for not being fast enough.

39. Bling says:

Wow.

Fayne/Nikitin blowing coverage all over the place.

Schultz being Schultz.

MacT needs to swallow his pride and bring Marincin back up.

But…we’ll probably get Klefbom/Nurse.

Gah.

40. Derek says:

I love you beer, you won’t make me feel sick for like… 12 hours. The Oilers however.

41. OilClog says:

MacT’s a smart guy, I think Jultz isn’t long in Edmonton.

Simply no compete in the guy.

42. Chris says:

This would really be a much better team if we had used our existing defensive personnel rationally. Marincin, Klebom in. Ferrence and Hunt out. Also how did Edmonton run Tom Gilbert out of town but Justin Shultz is a golden child? Justin Shultz has to be the most over rated player on the team. His defense is awful, he lacks thunderous hits and he really doesn’t produce much more offense than Gilbert. Apparently he’s a “Norris caliber defenceman” in Craig MacTavish’s mind. In my mind Justin Shultz is a “Norris” candidate if there is a horrible terrorist attack at the Winter Olympics which manages to slay the defense of each participating team. Shultz is a powerplay specialist and a 3rd pairing dman and a dramatically overpaid one at that. I’d trade him yesterday.

43. Suntory Hanzo says:

Shots, Corgis…

This is like when Rinus Michels thought he would beat Germany in ’74 with his Totall Voetball.

The goals are what matter.

Justin Schultz paired with a 2nd pairing soft minutes AHL D….that worked well.

Fedun and whomever and Klefbom/Musil were taking the tough minutes last year in OKC.

45. Chris says:

Also is it too early to start the “Fire Dallas Eakins” lynch mob?

46. icecastles says:

Gordies Elbow: Team -20.

+/- is flawed enough without confusing how team +/- and individual +/- are calculated.

47. bill needle says:

Think about the bright side – only six more weeks of this and the Oilers can get a real coach.

48. blainer says:

Man I simply cannot go through another season of this. Please give us at least average NHL goaltending. The rocket scientist’s behind the bench and upstairs hopefully watched the same game and make the changes on D. Get Marincin back in there to give Petry some help. Very disappointed in Fayne’s game and I don’t wish a real bad injury for ference but get him on the DL. I like hunt’s shot but we have to be able to keep the puck out of our net. It looks like we are the hunt for McDavid.. If that happens hall will be requesting a trade. Eakins leash just got a bit shorter.

49. VanOil says:

The more I watch the Oilers play under Eakins the more I think Godot makes sense. Favorite comments above; Cover the SLOT, Trade Shultz for a C, Ference looks done.

I a meritocracy Fasth would of started tonight, everyone bar LT thought he stunk it up in his lost start too.

EDIT: Free Marty Marincin

50. spoiler says:

godot10: All I know is that whoever the right D was, he was taking the puck carrier, and Ference left a gaping holein the centre of the ice for his man, Mason Raymond to drive through unmolested.

Raymond beats 95% of the defensemen in the league with that play. He knows he has the footspeed advantage that’s why he took the play over to the other side of the ice… to give himself space to employ that advantage. I would do the same.

On the other hand it is likely he doesn’t beat 95% of the goalies with that shot.

51. Bling says:

In defence of Fayne/Nikitin, I think some of what happened tonight was just being new to the team.

Fayne went and chased a Flames player on his opposite side on a 2 on 2 late in the game, just really bizarre, and then completely forgot about the man in front on the second Calgary goal.

I don’t think he’s that type of player. One game is one game.

52. JAG-041 says:

Deflated for McDavid already!

53. nycoil says:

I know it has that feeling of deja vu. This was kind of an important game to win, but 81 left.

The Oilers need to be honest with themselves. No need to panic.

Next game:
    Scrivens out, Fasth in.

Schultz in the press box, Hunt in the press box. Give Nurse and Klefbom a shot (not together).

It will be okay.

It really flew under the radar because of all the other issues, but the #1 goalie position was supposed to be an open competition. They said so at the start of camp. Fasth EASILY outplayed Scrivens throughout camp, yet Ben gets the starting job. The Oilers say one thing and do another. That’s the part I am getting tired of. I like Scrivens, but based on merit, Fasth SHOULD have started this game. So it’s on the Oilers to fix it. ASAP.

54. hunter1909 says:

Chris:
    Also is it too early to start the “Fire Dallas Eakins” lynch mob?

The rope is in the shed.

Seriously, Eakins isn’t going to enjoy “hanging out”with the dynasty mob after that sad sack opening night performance.

The good news: Based on tonight, McDavid’s virtually an Oiler.

55. Hammers says:

Not read other comments . Forwards looked OK but not great . Scrivens blew 3 in my opinion . Don’t see any real improvement from the “D” . I would take both Ference & Hunt out and try Nurse & Klefbom . I said 2-2 & into overtime , boy was I wrong .

56. spoiler says:

G Money: Except that’s only how it happened if you’re determined to make him the goat regardless of what actually happened. He had to cover the entire width of the ice to cover his defensive partner’s pinch against one of the faster players on the Flames, and he made up enough of that ground to force the player to shoot from the top of the circle and it still went in.If you want to assign blame, 60% is on Scrivens, 30% on Fayne for a poor pinch, and 10% on Ference for not being fast enough.

It was also a long shift, and there probably should have been a line change on that zone entry.

57. Logan91 says:

TheGreatMutato: You spelled “256 days until the draft” wrong.

Hahah, well we all saw how good this team can really be in the second period. All comes down to consistency and defence. I suspect Marincin and will be in the line up very soon. Every team has bad games (Oilers usually more than others though).

58. Gordies Elbow says:

Goaltending, defensive play were suspect.

Fayne -3.
    Eberle, Schultz, Hopkins, Hall, -2
    Gordon -1 in 10:47.
    Draisatl? -1 in 14:47
    Arcobello? Even in 14:52

Yakupov with a good night. -1 with an assist, though.

Not nearly good enough.

59. nycoil says:

OilClog,

Wanna bet? Schultz took the very next shift after failing to do anything on that tap-in goal except be the “also in the picture” guy.

MacT doubled Schultz’ guaranteed money for no reason when Mac held ALL the face cards and then proclaimed the kid a future Norris winner. Seriously, this blind spot crush he has on Schultz is a major concern for the Oilers.

60. Suntory Hanzo says:

We shit the bed for McDavid.

61. Alpine says:

Oilers actually looked they remembered how to play hockey again for the first time since forever. Problems that probably won’t be fixed with a new coach: goaltending erraticism and Justin Schultz not being a real NHL defenseman. We won’t be playing Calgary every game, but maybe we’ll actually piss a drop at evens this year.

62. fifthcartel says:

They got 40 shots tonight. How many times did they do that all year last season?

63. Bag of Pucks says:

Amazing shot by Hall but weak night overall for the top line. Love the looks of that Drai/Yak/Pou line. They could be legitimate soft min killers. Gonna take some time for this D to gel. Ramsay will fix it. Nurse would draw in for me over Jultz next game. I’m not seeing Nikitin good yet.

For goalies, I like the ‘win and you stay in’ approach. Scrivens definitely had an off game with his heroes in the house. Faith might’ve been a better choice.

64. jp says:

You’re absolutely right, but as noted this did feel a little too much like deja vu. They dominated a good chunk of the game, but they weren’t there when they needed to be. Plus this was a poor opponent, on the 2nd of a back to back.

There was a lot to like from the Oilers tonight, but playing well in a 5-2 loss to the Flames was not what the doctor ordered. I’ll be watching on Saturday though.

65. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

~ I blame Yakupov ~

66. Snowman says:

God I hate the Flames. And I’m going to hate listening to all the Canuck fans in my office tomorrow.

This was a stinker.

On the upside, the Oilers resembled an NHL team for a good chunk of that game. We outshot a team. So that’s something. There is the potential for unicorns this season. Two powerplay goals! Hall is flying even by Taylor Hall Standards. The game has slowed for Nuge. He’s going to be dynamite.

On the downside. When the Oilers didn’t look like an NHL team, they looked like the OIlers. Did not see any D-men good except Fayne and Petry. Did not like Eberle’s game at all.

I hate the Flames.

67. Gret99zky says:

McDavid, McDavid, Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut!

68. Bag of Pucks says:

nycoil:
    OilClog,

MacT doubled Schultz’ guaranteed money for no reason when Mac held ALL the face cards and then proclaimed the kid a future Norris winner.Seriously, this blind spot crush he has on Schultz is a major concern for the Oilers.

A guy on a 1 year deal is a major concern?

If Hunt, Klefbom and/or Klefbom pass him on the depth chart, trade him at the deadline.

I’m not sold on him. Fortunately, the one year deal tells me MavT is not either.

69. oliveoilers says:

WOOOHOOOO! Corgis licking peanut butter offa my nuts! Moral victory, right boys? Right? Hey, where’d everyone go…..

Is there some ancient master that can teach the coach basic strategy as well? Lock him in a room playing Risk against pre-pubescent teens on-line or something. Hard work just ain’t enough. Can’t help thinking that Eakins reckons that we would have had that one if only we’d worked even harder and deserved it. For the record, Hartley’s strategy was spot on. Forecheck the crap out of us, then hold us in our zone, breaking up all zone break outs AND work hard. Who knew?

I said this last year too: Don’t we practice how to hold the puck in at the oppositions blue line? Seems like an awful lot squeak through, with the guy looking very uncomfortable trying to keep it in.

70. G Money says:

So the Oilers played utterly dominant hockey for 35 minutes, playing exactly the way one presumes the coach wants them to play – five man breakouts, forwards supporting the puck in the d zone and hard backchecking when the puck transitions away from them in the o zone.

Lots of revisionist “oh they gave up so many chances”, but during that 35 minute stretch, I think the Flames got maybe two actual chances. That is complete shutdown hockey.

It all went to hell when they got sloppy and gave up a soft goal and the lead and reverted back to last years habits – no puck support by the forwards, long easy to pick passes giving up wide open chances the other way, no backcheck, no drive to the net.

Whatever else you may think of Eakins, that soft headed reversion was NOT coaching, that’s on the players.

71. OilClog says:

nycoil:
    OilClog,

There was a point in time the same similar notions were said about one Sam Gagner.

Schultz was bested by Raymond due to lack of effort, it won’t fly long.

72. Oilers30 says:

OilFire: Yeah, and so waiting to read about that “global warming” when it’s so damned cold tonight.

73. Dipstick says:

You know, this would have been acceptable 4 years ago when ELPH was in vogue. Now, not so much.

74. Hammers says:

russ99: gretzkytolemieux, Schultz needs support, not a AHL player, as we saw many times last season.That’s on the coaching staff.

I said play him with Petry . Would still do it next game re McT & Eakins attitude with Schultz .

75. Bling says:

Gordies Elbow: Not the centres. Coaching was clearly suspect, and the defensive play, especially from Justin Schultz and Mark Fayne, combined with poor goaltending (e.g. Scrivens plays with the puck, too deep on the slapshot.) led to the demise.

Goaltending, defensive play were suspect.

Fayne -3.
    Eberle, Schultz, Hopkins, Hall, -2
    Gordon -1 in 10:47.
    Draisatl? -1 in 14:47
    Arcobello? Even in 14:52

Yakupov with a good night. -1 with an assist, though.

Not nearly good enough.

Honestly, I liked Draisatl and Arcobello’s games tonight.

Arco made some nice smart plays in both ends, including a nice fake to get a quick shot off coming down the wing in the first.

With Draisatl, you can see the calm in his game. The guy knows where everyone else is.

The Marincin thing is just killing me. I don’t know how Mac can make that kind of decision knowing how big this season is for this franchise.

It’s real sad.

76. thehop says:

I am a long time lurker. Six years to be exact. I believe hubris best describes the ugly situation that I witnessed tonight. I don’t ever want to see, hear or look at the glory years of this organization until the current club and administration proves that they are anything more than a bunch of over paid, over confident …losers. It sucks to be an Oilers fan now… More than ever

77. Kmart99 says:

Oilers dominated possession for most of the game and made fewer mistakes. They burried their chances, we didn’t. If most shot clocks look like that one, we will win most games. Scriven, ference, hunt, and Jultz struggled. Especially in the third

78. Gordies Elbow says:

icecastles: That’s the most empty stat I’ve ever read. So with every EV goal against the ‘team’ gets a -5?

0 goals 5v5 for your team, 4 goals 5v5 for the opposition, is poor in any league. Flawed stat or not, embarrassing effort tonight.

Calgary out worked them, with less talent, IMO.

8 years of failure, and the 1st overalls were a combined -5 tonight 5v5.

Is the stat as flawed as the players and coaching? Because clearly, either they’ve picked the wrong players, or deployed them incorrectly. -5 against the backup goalie for a team that’s expected to be in the bottom five?

79. Logan91 says:

VanOil:

EDIT: Free Marty Marincin

Eakins system didn’t work last year, but maybe it’ll work this year right!? I will admit Eakins got the line up (minus the D) almost spot on this year, but something still seems off with everyone.

80. Bling says:

G Money:

Lots of revisionist “oh they gave up so many chances”, but during that 35 minute stretch, I think the Flames got maybe two actual chances.That is complete shutdown hockey.

Game would’ve been a lot different if those bars that Eberle and Hunt hit went in.

Scrivens wasn’t his best, but every single D-pair was a disaster.

That might be a problem.

81. nycoil says:

Bag of Pucks,

What if it was Schultz who wanted the one year deal? Why do you assume it was MacT who wanted one year? He wanted more, he said so himself.

Okay, major concern was too strong a phrase. I take that back. I just get worked up because that kid only cares about one end of the ice and he gets rewarded for it because management has blinders on about him. I think he has talent, just doesn’t have the right people teaching him to fix his game.

82. Numenius says:

Calm down everyone. It’s one game. We won the corgis. Mistakes were made.

In the words of Todd Nelson: “If you’re afraid to lose, you’re gonna lose.”

Applies to fans too I think.

83. Pouzar says:

G Money:

DING DING DING

We have a winner.

SHEESH people. Thx G

84. oliveoilers says:

This just in: McDavid watched tonight’s game and has announced his retirement from the game of Hockey. No news yet from his agent as to why. Also in unrelated news, pictures surface of Gretzky throwing his jersey on the ice during intermission…..

Game 1 and they’ve already got me to the point it took 40 games to last season. Christ on a bike.

Eakins: “I’m not going to walk out here and say we played crappy, because we didn’t. But we lost the game and that’s unacceptable.”

Yep.

86. nycoil says:

Yes, no need to panic yet. But the Oilers do need to bank points during the opening 10~15 games when the schedule is “soft.” Moral victories and corgis won’t mean squat later on. So, as other have said, they should ice the best lineup they can, loyalties be damned.

I think we can agree that most of the game was played well. A couple of tweaks need to be made on the back end. Ice the best D and hottest goaltender and that was going to be a win 9 times out of 10. They didn’t do that last part and so they increased the chances of that going wrong. Fix that bit by the next game and roll with it.

87. supernova says:

Numenius:
    Calm down everyone. It’s one game. We won the corgis. Mistakes were made.

In the words of Todd Nelson: “If you’re afraid to lose, you’re gonna lose.”

Applies to fans too I think.

Numenius,

I think the fans feel more like losing is inevitable!

Not sure we are afraid of it but expect it

88. book¡je says:

G Money,

Well, that somewhat frees the coach from the responsibility of imparting dicipline on his team.

89. Zangetsu says:

Eakins post game, “Well we need to have andrew ference playing 30 min a game. Yakupov is killing this team. The best thing about tonights game is Marincin is in the minors. I’m feeling the swarm tomorrow. Need more enforces. A Mark Fraser type would really cement this teams playoff chances. Are there any more Marlies alumni out there that can still stand?”

Can’t say I really agree with his comments, but he is a winner, so who am I to judge.

90. nycoil says:

oliveoilers,

He doesn’t want to play in Arizona? They looked like last overall contenders tonight.

91. bill needle says:

The way the Oilers played tonight they don’t even deserve to win the lottery.

92. JAG-041 says:

Pouzar: DING DING DING

We have a winner.

SHEESH people. Thx G

I really
    really hope this is true
    without sarcasm
    I’m drinking heavy tonight boys

93. spoiler says:

G Money:

This is the game I watched too.

bill needle:
    The way the Oilers played tonight they don’t even deserve to win the lottery.

Hi Bill!

95. Doomoil says:

Jesus, this thread is all but unreadable.

Shots were 34-14 in a tie game and then the wheels fell off. Fire everyone plan for mcdavid boohoo us poor oiler fans wahhh.

96. spoiler says:

bill needle:
    The way the Oilers played tonight they don’t even deserve to win the lottery.

Hi Bill!

97. spoiler says:

Dammit. LT beat me.

98. nycoil says:

bill needle:
    The way the Oilers played tonight they don’t even deserve to win the lottery.

I know there’s never a good time to lose to the Flames, but if I’m Eakins and Ramsay, tomorrow I’m showing them the tape of how well they played for most of the game, then breaking down the break-downs. It’s a very good lesson to learn game 1. Can’t take any team in this league for granted. And move on. Give Viktor the start, rotate the D a bit and keep everything else the same. If we’re talking about this same problem after game 5, then hit the panic button.

But seriously, now is not the time. That wasn’t a bad game. At all.

99. Hammers says:

I didn’t see Eberle as bad as a lot of you but he just didn’t gel like last year . 4th line was most consistent . Liked what I saw but maybe just maybe the “C” is needed for Arco and not that he was bad but if Leon is staying he needs to get ice time so that only leaves Arco . Enough on Scrivens vs Fasht as there getting every other game anyway . Eakins / Ramsay need to reshuffle the “D” . Nikitin can’t play with Fayne and Petry is wasted with Ference . Schultz & Hunt need split up so I come back to either LT’s suggestion of Fayne & Petry or mine of Schultz & Petry Nikitin should be with Ference 3rd pair minutes if they are playing . “D” still looks like a shit show .

100. G Money says:

book¡je:

Perhaps. The team looked rusty to start, then played rock solid hockey from 5:00 of P1 to 4:00 of P3, then completely fell apart. What does a coach say or do at that point?

If I’m going to blame Eakins for anything, it’s not having the regular lineup play in the last preseason game. Maybe if that had happened, those disastrous first five wouldn’t have happened.

But those next 35 minutes are exactly – EXACTLY – how this team can and should play every night, 60 minutes a night.

That 35 minutes was the best hockey I have seen this team play in 8 years. It was men against boys. It was nearly flawless. It was utter domination.

If we’re going to blame Eakins for the other twenty five minutes, we sure as hell better give him credit for those 35 too, right?

We can bitch all we want about the end result, but if we get decent goaltending (a must for any team, no matter how good) and the team plays like that middle 35 more nights than not, and for something close to 60 minutes instead of 35 minutes …

101. Younger Oil says:

It’s hard to argue that any team who lets in 5 goals actually played well.

Sure, they did a much better job of getting the puck to the net, and prevented shots against, but allowing so many quality chances is absolutely inexcusable.

Sure, the percentages will balance out in the coming games, but it doesn’t make losing to Calgary at home when they’re playing back to back any better.

I have been an Oilers fan my whole life, like most of the people here, and of course I want them to win, but at this moment there is a small part of me that makes me want to keep seeing them lose, and continue to see the minuses pile up for Hunt and Schultz until MacT and Eakins realize they’re not the smartest men in the room, eat some humble pie, and publicly admit how big of a blunder sending your best LHD to the minors was.

The Oilers deserve to lose until they put the best team they possibly can out on the ice.

102. the_Fab_5 says:

remember when the Oilers out-corsi’d the Jets in the home-opener last year and looked like an NHL team and were sunk by awful goaltending?

same thing this year…

can’t fool me Oilers….they love the home-opener games and look like and NHL team….once they play real team like the Canucks, Kings, and Sharks…expect to get outshot by a lot again

one game doesn’t convince me

103. nycoil says:

700 comment for G1 last season’s GDT

And we beat that this year. Huzzah! Good night everyone. Chin up! It might get better (or it might not, because Oilers), but we’re all still going to be here.

104. book¡je says:

G Money,

105. bill needle says:

Rotate the D a bit… Yeah, like six new ones in and the old six out.
    Scrivens did a nice Reggie Lemelin imitation on the 3-2 goal. Someone should show him a tape of Dubnyk from last season — being benched in the AHL after a bad half a season.
    Hall and the rest of the forwards were solid until the third goal, and figured they might as well mail it in if the defence and goalie have already.

G Money:

That 35 minutes was the best hockey I have seen this team play in 8 years.It was men against boys.It was nearly flawless.It was utter domination.

107. OilFire says:

Oilers30:
    Anxiously waiting to read how the Oilers won the Corgis tonight.

Oilers30: Non sequitur. Stick to your spreadsheets Pointdexter. Logic isn’t your strong suit.

You’re right, two types of statistical models that predict a certain chance of an outcome, but are often confused with claiming the certainty of that outcome are totally unrelated. Good for you catching me out on my embarrassing non sequitur.

-Poindexter

108. the_Fab_5 says:

godot10: It was against the worst team in the league who were playing back-to-back with their backup goaltender.

109. Zangetsu says:

Few things I predicted a while ago that seem to be coming true. Implosion of Ference. Replacement level ability of hendricks. Goatending not being as sure a thing as we pretended it was. Not to say I disagree with the goaltending though, as scrivens and fasth are the types of bets that turn into your thomas’s varlamovs’s and bobrovsky’s. Just that g could be shaky.

D was worse than expected, particularly Fayne. Who knew that when you only have one top pairing guy that you can’t just send him to the minors. If it was me, I would run
    Marincin Petry
    Fayne Klefbom
    Nikitin Shultz
    Ference (hope he doesn’t go full retard)

110. Gordies Elbow says:

So very true.

And I would add, best management and coaching that they can.

I don’t think the team was adequately prepared for tonight, and that led to some of the issues. Too many mistakes – the role of the coaches is to produce a game plan that can be played by the players. Too often it looked like they were trying to force the play. As much as I like Hall, Hopkins, and Eberle on the cycle, how many good chances did it create? Fewer than attack on the rush, IMO.

Coaching should play to the strengths of the players. Is Hall better on the cycle, or rushing with speed at the line?

111. Hammers says:

book¡je: G Money, I agree – my point is that Eakins and MacT need to figure out how to get more of the 35.

Don’t really agree as that is saying this line up can give us 60 instead of the 35 .Changes other than Fasht Must happen . Would sooner see Marincin but both Nuse & Klefbom are better than some of those tonight . If I was McT I would sooner chance loosing with 3 players that will grow than what we saw tonight . Marincin , Klefbom & Nurse will give 110% but they will make mistakes that hopefully Ramsay can help them overcome . Tonight we saw some lack of effort on “D” .

112. Zangetsu says:

Hammers,

There’s a serious problem with coaching when people are looking at the assistant coach to be the guy to save the power play, groom young guys, ect. Eakins kids should be worried about their next meal if this team is run properly.

113. Bank Shot says:

That wasn’t all goaltending.

The Flames gave the Oilers the outside of the ice all night, and the Oilers took it. The fourth line was really the only Oilers line that took the puck to the middle of the ice and they were probably the best line on the night as well.

The Flames on the other hand barely got any shots, but some of the chances they had were absolute doozies. How do you leave a guy like Hudler so wide open on his goal? The Flames probably had 7-8 chances that Rod Philips would call “glorious” to maybe the Oilers having 3-4 of that same calibre.

The Oilers won the corgis. Sure. You can’t call that a solid hockey game though. The type of breakdowns they had should happen maybe 1-2 times in a game and they gave up 7-8.

Maybe they can clean it up, but judging by the past, it isn’t likely.

Brad Hunt played pretty well. Can’t put anything on him.

114. Clay says:

Justin Schultz, the worst defensive dman the Oilers employ, had more than three minutes more icetime than any other Oilers dman, and in fact led all players (both teams) in ice time. While Martin Marincin twiddles his thumbs in the minors. Because Oilers.

115. Bank Shot says:

Anyone know what the tied corsi was in this game?

I think it’s probably a lot closer then the Flames leading by two corsi.

116. hags9k says:

Lots to build off of here in my opinion.

First off, I thought Yak was dangerous and had his strut going which was nice to see. A relief really.

LD is a very impressive 18 year old. He could become scary good.

HEN line was very good.

Almost every forward had chances, that’s a good thing.

The 4 line showed some good muck and grind.

The D made a couple mistakes and damned if the godless flames didn’t cash.

Scrivens’ struggles and Ramo solid at the other end was the difference in this one. Goaltending is 90% between the ears and the first one was so early on a tough screen, then a misplay on the second and I thought he was off balance and in battle mode, fighting the puck the rest of the way. I give him credit for battling, but it was not a great outing. The way the guys skated, they probably deserved this one.

I refuse to say the sky is falling here after that one. There were a lot of great shifts and periods where we were playing good hockey. This rebuild is moving like a glacier but it is moving. We will get some saves from Victor on Saturday night and Yak pots the winner and we are back rollin.

GOILERS!!

117. rickithebear says:

Ramo 40 shots 2 goals
    Hiller 32 shots 3 goals
    I watched all the flames games last year.

Bank Shot: Brad Hunt played pretty well. Can’t put anything on him.

I watched Schultz play the box protection role:
    Chara; Lovejoy; Marincin would play while hunt wandered.

thought, “this is not good!”

118. cadooo says:

MIKAEL BACKLUND 5 19 20
    MATT STAJAN 5 21 19
    DERYK ENGELLAND 7 30 18
    KRIS RUSSELL 6 26 18
    BRANDON BOLLIG 2 15 11

119. rickithebear says:

the_Fab_5: they’re not nor never been the worst team in the league…it’s been the Oilers for 5 years now

Ah the past!

17 players replaced since july 13.
    takes 20 games to see the chem.

but hey!
    Lets talk about players that are not here.

I wiating for you to tell me world war II is over!

120. Zelepukin says:

Maybe it was just me but watching Drais line in the 3rd was frustrating. I’m not sure who they were primarily paired with but it felt like it was rarely anyone who could get them the puck.

Once that line got possession they were dangerous. That was a big positive out of this game. Yaks looked twice as fast and much smarter on positioning.

121. Zelepukin says:

Drai looks exactly like Yaks did in year 1-2. He has those junior legs and is endurance puck pursuit is short, but the skills is blatantly obvious. Those two as our 2L is going to be ridiculous in the years to come. If Yaks scores 30 this year, it’s going to be because of Drai and probably our 2PP.

122. Zelepukin says:

Apologies to keep goin on (scotch talking) but Yaks had some looks in just this one game, where I waited all last year for someone to dish him on.

It’s like that one pass that he eventually dished off to Petry (i think) and everyone wanted him to shoot and he was all like, shit someone actually passed to me in the slot.

123. Adam Wu says:

Random thought thats probably not true – could the sitting of both Klefbom and Nurse this game be Eakins’ subtle message to MacT along the lines of “give me my Marincin back!”?

Random thought which I think actually is true – regarding corgis and other advanced stats with predictive power: like all similar statistics with predictive power in all fields of science, what these numbers really represent is a theoretical model of how the game is played. Like any other model, it cannot account for every factor in reality, and must make certain assumptions. Chief among the assumptions that all statistical models make is that the things not measured by the model/statistic will even out and cancel out over time, in a manner that they will not affect the overall result, except in small sample sizes.

With respect to corgis and possession, the assumption is things like relative shot quality, ludicrous errors, equally ludicrous puck bounces and good and bad goaltending even out over time. But if you’re a team like the Oilers that continues to give up such ridiculous offensive chances at a regular clip, then the assumption that shot quality will even out over time may NOT hold, and the model will lose some of its predictive power.

If you outshoot your opponent 25 to 3 every game, but all 3 of the shots you give up are unstoppable gimmes, you will actually lose 3-2 more often than you will win.

124. cadooo says:

On reddit I just found a website that is trying to do realtime advanced stats. How long till the NHL shuts it down?

125. Kmart99 says:

Oil directed 79 shots on net. Flames made roughly 2 times as many mistakes as the oil, but Ramo was there to bail out the Flames, or the shot went wide. If they direct 79 shots on net every night and only give up 38, the season will go better than it has in a long time.

Scrivens wasn’t able to bail out the oil on their mistakes tonight, Ramo was able to bail out the Flames on theirs. As long as Fasth comes in with a solid performance, and the team brings that kind of performance again, the next games will go better.

Really thought Scrivens had a bad game, it happens.

I am the eternal optimist. Now get Marincin, Klefbom, and Nurse some games.

126. stevezie says:

I just hope this tragedy serves to give some more visibility to Bendelson.

127. gcw_rocks says:

So, with Oiler management sabotaging this season, can we talk trades? Coyotes defensive prospect pool is very weak. Klefbom for Samuelson? Sammy could be the future second line LW, or the third line centre.

128. Dicky94 says:

hags9k,

100% agree! People need to chill. It’s going to take a few games for this group to gel.

129. cabbiesmacker says:

rickithebear: Ramo 40 shots 2 goals
    Hiller 32 shots 3 goals
    I watched all the flames games last year.

I watched Schultz play the box protection role:
    Chara; Lovejoy; Marincin would play while hunt wandered.

thought, “this is not good!”

I gave myself a bald spot reading this post. Then I did a line and it all made sense. Kinda

130. RMGS says:

It’s hard to do, because it’s almost blasphemous against the godless Flames. But, I give the Oilers a pass. I mean, save for a few (read five) gong show moments and a disappointing third frame, the team dominated – by eye and number. It was their first game together (and that’s on Eakins). If they fix the blunders and stay the course, they’ll be fine.

131. gcw_rocks says:

G Money,

I think you saw score effects. Tired team gets up by two goals and takes their foot off the gas. Get on their heels and the oilers tie it up. Coach yells at team in second intermission and the team goes back out in third and dominates the third and gets the easy win.

132. RMGS says:

gcw_rocks:
    G Money,

No. The game was close or tied until late in the third. Score effects don’t apply.

133. Maverick says:

I’m a little late to the party but this twitter comment from one of the ’84 Oilers summons up the night for me.

Dave Lumley
    ‏@lummer20
    Oilers playing beer league hockey…skate well, shoot well, pass well, NONE of the little things it takes to win.

134. Yeti says:

Bag of Pucks: Gonna take some time for this D to gel.

135. Hammers says:

Yeti: Yes, but presumably it would take a much shorter time if you left the guy who did really well last year in the damn team.

Not going to happen . They made there decision and both McT & Eakins are stubborn if nothing else . Truth is we wouldn’t have won anyway as Scrivens shit the bed .Wonder what Dubnyk thought when he saw that save% .Noticed Lumleys comments on twitter and he maybe right . The only line doing the extras was the 4th .They better figure out there “D” before Saturday .

136. G Money says:

Bank Shot: Lots of ineffective shots from the outside or very long range for the Oilers at evens despite dominating possession for large stretches and some nice sequences. It’s not all that surprising they didn’t score a goal at evens.

Nice revisionist version, but wrong. The Oilers had a ton of five bell chances in close, but either missed, were stopped, or hit the crossbar. The Flames had six such chances and cashed on five. It happens. But the whole “Yeah, the Flames gave up seventy five shot events but it means nothing because they meant to do that” doesn’t hold water.

Adam Wu: With respect to corgis and possession, the assumption is things like relative shot quality, ludicrous errors, equally ludicrous puck bounces and good and bad goaltending even out over time.

Suggest you go and read the heavy duty analytical work that’s gone into the development of the shot metrics model. Funny thing – turns out that the more shots you get, the more chances you get. The more shots you give up, the more chances you give up. Those can easily run counter to each other for a game, or a hot/cold streak, hell, even for one team a year it seems like an entire season.

But otherwise, rickithebear’s ramblings notwithstanding, teams that own the puck more get not just more shots and give up fewer, but also get more five bell chances and give up fewer five bell chances.

The whole “shot quality” bugaboo is what is brought up each and every time the short run result goes against the possession metrics.

Like Toronto two years ago. “The metrics say we’re a lousy team saved by lucky shooting and hot goaltending, but we disagree – it’s all about our shot quality.” Turns out they were a lousy team.

Like Colorado last season, and even the verbiage coming from them just two days ago. “The metrics say we’re a lousy team saved by lucky shooting and Vezina goaltending, but we disagree – it’s all about Roy’s magical coaching and our outstanding shot quality.” Now they go into a season having shipped out their best possession player. What’s the bet?

And one last point about shot quality. If you look at last night’s game, I actually saw four different mini-games playing out. The first ten minutes, the Oilers looked rusty and confused. For the next thirty five or so, they completely dominated. Then the next five they got impatient. And the last ten it was Panik at the disco.

Funny thing? The Corgi’s reflect that. The Flames had the better Corgi’s through the first ten. They were dominated for 35. They were marginally worse for five. And the better team for the last ten.

The Flambes meanwhile, while they might be 1-1, have been dominated by the Corgi’s for two games in a row against non-top-tier teams. Barring Ramo channeling his inner Varlamov for the season, they are Orange for McDavid.

No statistical mystery there.

The real questions for the Oilers are NOT whether Corgi’s were reflective of the game. They were.

In the past, the Corgi’s have been the enemies, and fancystats guys like me have been the designated pessimists, pointing out that even though the team was 10-3, you couldn’t sustain Khabibulin’s goaltending the entire season, and eventually the Corgi’s (which were running around on fire) would assert themselves. And they did.

Last year we saw flashes of what might be a decent team early, but were sunk by breakdowns and lousy goaltending. By the time they got the latter sorted, the Corgi’s were back to their traditional fiery state.

The real questions now are:
    – Will they stick to the program and find that possession game for a consistent 60? Or will they throw in the towel and revert to the lazy undisciplined tire fire of a game they played most of last year?
    – How well will this newfound five man attack four line game translate against good teams?

The Canucks are at least a competent team. Saturday night will be a real strong indicator. Watch them Corgi’s closely.

G Money: ed Lumleys comments on twitter and he maybe right . The only line doing the extras was the 4th .They better figure out there “D” before Saturday .
      (Quote)  (Reply)

Smart

Smarter

Smartest

Excellent post.

cadooo:

Why would the NHL shut it down?

hockeystats.ca and waronice.com are doing the same?

NHL only seems to care if you are scraping the data and then trying to make a profit off of it.

cadooo: http://www.naturalstattrick.com/

Also, thanks for the link

This site has H2H TOI and team mate TOI stats.

Been dying for those.

140. Obiwan Eberle says:

Last night SUCKED!

But its not the end of the world…is it?

That looked like a different Oiler team.
    There was a lot of puck support and team structure. Many times the Oilers reversed the puck to get a different look at attacking the neutral zone. Watching the Oil get the puck back to the point, over to the other point and then towards the net is the way a team like Edmonton needs to play….cycling and grinding won’t work. Puck movement and angles, allows our skill to find soft areas. This is a BIG thing, they just need to stick with it and lose with it when the hockey gods deem.

On the bad side there was some stuff too though.
    It has been clearly obvious, and was all night, that Calgary wants to use tip passes in the neutral zone to get speed on the attack. it’s like the Oil forgot it after the 2nd intermission and were exploited a couple times in the third….Eakins should have been all over that.
    I don’t like the mental breakdown that occurred after the 3rd goal. All form of structured break outs disappeared and we saw things like Hall rushing 1 on 4 with no support, or long breakout passes that are quickly reversed…Eakins should have called a timeout, but these are men, I’m sure he wasn’t expecting that kind of fragility…most Oilers fan did though
    Finally, I don’t get how Scrivens got the start when clearly VF had a better camp…small gripe though

Through out preseason and last night, I have seen improvement in the details of the game…soon comes the improvement in the mental fortitude…then comes the winning, and it will

GO OIL

141. Bank Shot says:

G Money: Nice revisionist version, but wrong.The Oilers had a ton of five bell chances in close, but either missed, were stopped, or hit the crossbar.The Flames had six such chances and cashed on five.It happens.But the whole “Yeah, the Flames gave up seventy five shot events but it means nothing because they meant to do that” doesn’t hold water.

Suggest you go and read the heavy duty analytical work that’s gone into the development of the shot metrics model.Funny thing – turns out that the more shots you get, the more chances you get.The more shots you give up, the more chances you give up.Those can easily run counter to each other for a game, or a hot/cold streak, hell, even for one team a year it seems like an entire season.

What do you mean revisionist history? The game happened last night. I know you are pushing dogma here, but just set your philosophy aside for a moment and look at what actually happened in that game.

What you are saying is mostly true when you have a large enough sample size, but it certainly wasn’t true last night.

The highlights are all availible on the NHL website.

Go count the number of times a player on either side had an unmolested shot from in between the hashmarks.

Flames had twice as many.

There really isn’t any denying it.

Corsi doesn’t really matter if you don’t defend the slot up to even a bare minimum standard.

« Older Comments