OILERS AT CANUCKS G2 2014-15

The Edmonton Oilers held a reunion last night, and received a gift from the fans in attendance. The fans cheered for the prodigal former owner and the old man wept. If the Oilers are a religion—and frankly I wonder—then last night was biblical. No idea what this means for the current club, but it’s a major item for the 1984 team and its legacy. Last night added a chapter, an epilogue, to the most fantastic team this city ever saw. What a ride.

Now, and I mean this was the utmost respect, can we please get on with the actual Oilers? Good lord Jesus we spend a lot of time living in the past. There’s a game tonight!

hall score

This is Taylor Hall scoring off a set play on the 5-on-3. Notice WHERE he’s shooting from uncontested for the goal. At this position, with the shot he delivered, it either hits the goalie, goes wide, or results in a tally. The Flames are observing the game at this point.

PROJECTED LINEUP

LEFT WING CENTER RIGHT WING
TAYLOR HALL RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS JORDAN EBERLE
BENOIT POULIOT LEON DRAISAITL NAIL YAKUPOV
DAVID PERRON MARK AROBELLO TEDDY PURCELL
MATT HENDRICKS BOYD GORDON
JESSE JOENSUU

LEFT DEFENSE   RIGHT DEFENSE
NIKITA NIKITIN MARK FAYNE
ANDREW FERENCE JEFF PETRY
BRAD HUNT JUSTIN SCHULTZ

GOAL
  VIKTOR FASTH

BEN SCRIVENS

The only change so far is Fasth starting, and I’ve heard both the lineup remains the same and that Darnell Nurse will draw in, so will update the lineup as it comes available later today. The team flew yesterday to Vancouver, so they weren’t part of the 30 year reunion last night and are hopefully focused on the task at hand.

SHOTS ON GOAL

Interesting to see the group getting the most shots on goal during game one. Oilers had all hands on deck (only Andrew Ference was shut out) and the role players were in there like a dirty shirt.

• 4—Taylor Hall, Boyd Gordon, Teddy Purcell
  • 3—Justin Schultz, David Perron, Mark Fayne
  • 2—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Nikita Nikitin, Jeff Petry, Benoit Pouliot, Mark Arcobello, Jesse Joensuu
  • 1—Brad Hunt, Leon Draisaitl, Matt Hendricks
  • 0—Andrew Ference

Add in goalposts for Eberle and Hunt and it’s completely reasonable to suggest the Oilers were unluckynot to have three before the end of the second period. This just in: If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. Finally, seven shots (!!!!) from the 4line.

DEFENSE TOI AT EVEN STRENGTH

This is something I want to follow all year because it’s a story with real value. Justin Schultz not only gets a power-play push, but also an even-strength push in game one, and the allotment of time by Edmonton is a curious item.

1. Justin Schultz 20:56
  2. Brad Hunt 18:04
  3. Nikita Nikitin 17:52
  4. Mark Fayne 17:42
  5. Jeff Petry 16:13
  6. Andrew Ference 16:01

And let’s run the Corsi 5×5 numbers from the game, just for fun:

1. Jeff Petry 27-9 75%
  2. Brad Hunt 21-8 72%
  3. Andrew Ference 25-11 69%
  4. Nikita Nikitin 21-12 64%
  5. Justin Schultz 21-14 60%
  6. Mark Fayne 20-14 59%

These are all outstanding numbers, but one of the conversations we’re going to have this winter is the usage gap between Schultz and Petry at even strength. Dallas Eakins isn’t the first coach to show bias where evidence suggests a certain deployment (quick shout out to Ron Low and Miroslav Satan) but it should be discussed as a contributing factor to the team’s success or lack of success.

SLEPY BUSTS A MOVE

• 2011-12 (age 17) 39GP, 4-3-7 (8:55 TOI, 28 shots) (1.21 points-per-60) (4.83 shots-per-60)
  • 2012-13 (age 18) 26GP, 7-2-9 (12:40 TOI, 63 shots) (1.64 points-per-60) (11.48 shots-per-60)
  • 2013-14 (age 19) 36GP, 3-5-8 (10:18 TOI, 59 shots) (1.30 points-per-60) (9.55 shots-per–60)
  • 2014-15 (age 20) 15GP, 3-4-7 (10:29 TOI, 26 shots) (2.67 points-per-60) (9.9 shots-per-60)

Anton Slepyshev had a nice week and his point-per-game number is double one year ago and in the same TOI. That’s a big deal, and if he continues one wonders if the Oilers make a special effort to get him signed at the end of this year to bring him over. The Russian pipeline that gave us Nail Yakupov delivered Bogdan Yakimovn this fall, and perhaps the Slep John B. sails here for 2015-16.

PLATZER

platzer1

Kyle Platzer is 7GP, 3-7-10 after a big night in the OHL on Friday. His time in Owen Sound started slowly last season, but he looked good at rookie and main camp and is continuing to improve in the OHL. He’s miles from his pre-draft scouting report (courtesy Brock Otten of OHL Prospects).

33. Kyle Platzer – Forward – London Knights
Platzer did absolutely everything London’s coaching staff asked him to do this year, including seeing some time on the blueline to cover for injuries. That’s why he managed to (mostly) avoid the carousel many of London’s other younger players had to ride (like Jammes, Liberati, Pawley, etc) in 2013. His numbers don’t jump out at you, and they won’t with the barely 10 minutes of ice time he saw a game. But you have to assess him based on what he was able to do with that ice time (similar to Remi Elie who’s rated higher). Platzer may not be huge (pushing 5’11), but he’s a skilled player who also can provide energy and persistence away from the puck. You might notice Platzer outworking opposing defenses along the boards, or beating them to loose pucks, but he’s also clearly a very intelligent offensive player who is capable of putting up higher point totals. He did lead his Waterloo GOJHL team in scoring as a 16 year old in 2012. The one thing I admire about London is their ability to make younger players work hard to stay in the line-up. Ice time is earned, not given. And Platzer earned every second of time he received this year.

I had him ranked No. 30 in the summer, expect a massive rise in ranking by Christmas if this continues.

blisimo

ABOUT THURSDAY NIGHT

I went back and looked at the game again, and have a few observations.

• If Brad Hunt scores on the PP that came after the Hall goal, Edmonton wins the game and the roof comes off the barn.
  • In the third period, you can see the young team pressing and they lose momentum. The flow of the first and second periods is gone, and now they’re more deliberate on some levels and trying to do too much on another. I think they win that game more often than not, and suspect we’ll have trunks of memories still to come.
  • The game was lost in the first five minutes on simple plays from the goalie’s stick to the defender. Basic basic stuff.

648 Responses to "OILERS AT CANUCKS G2 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. wheatnoil says:

wheatnoil:
    Zone Starts by defensemen (at even-strength)

Hunt – 50% (25% corsi, -18.0 corsi-rel – Jesus!)
    Schultz – 50% (40.9%, -1.4 corsi-rel)
    Fayne – 50% (48.2%, +8.8 corsi-rel)
    Nikitin – 46,67% (48.5%, +9.6 corsi-rel)
    Petry – 30% (44.4%, +4.72 corsi-rel)
    Ference – 22.2% (35%, -7.3 corsi-rel)

Can we only play Hunt on the powerplay and run 5 D at evens?

Also, in the continued Petry vs Schultz comparison, Petry manages a better corsi (though still below 50%) than Schultz despite being buried in the defensive zone.

One thing in Schultz’s defense, he was playing with Hunt, who by the numbers (and by eye) was poor in this game at even-strength. Mind you, Petry was with Ference, who is no screaming hell himself this game.

2. LMHF#1 says:

Woodguy: Its the biggest concern with this team.

He’s not good at all.

It’d be one thing if the coach didn’t love playing him in nearly every important situation.

He’s a Denver boot.

3. Hammers says:

Dicky94:
    Teddy should be bumped up with Nuge and Hall. Eberle fighting the puck right now.

Said that after the last game . One thing on coaching is loose 2 games make changes but right now Eakins looks lost , bothered and bewildered .

4. nycoil says:

Woodguy,

Agreed. I thought in a meritocracy, the one which Eakins often opines about to the media, we would see Yak bumped up next to Hall and RNH tonight to continue getting the minutes, while Eberle would see reduced ice time on the Dry Poo line. Yak having 9:50 mins of ice time ( Derek Dorsett territory) was just all kinds of wrong (while Eberle had double the time at over 20+).

Look- I don’t want Eberle run out of town. But he had a bad night. Lots of brain farts, play died on his stick all the time, cheated for offense at his own blue line, flying the zone a couple of times. Lots of moments of half-assed effort. He deserved to have his ice time cut back. Meanwhile, a first overall pick was skating all over the ice, playing sound positionally without the puck, not cheating the zone for offense, back checking like a demon when needed, and scored a hell of an effort goal that required drive, courage and skill. And he saw his ice time cut back. And yes, I get that there was lots of PK time, but come on. Eberle played only 54 seconds short-handed. So he had 20 minutes at evens or PP. Still double Yak’s minutes.

Fed up of the hypocrisy.

5. Captain's Log says:

Man guys I really hate this use of corsi immediately post-game to analyze performance. I feel it’s a much better tool with larger samples but for one game I’m not sure how useful it is.

If Ference is on the ice and Eberle fails to clear the zone 3 times in a row and the Canucks get several chances toward net, Ference’s Corsi drops precipitously as a result and it has nothing to do with his play.

6. Henry says:

Younger Oil:
    I can’t help but feel like I shouldn’t be allowed to watch Oiler games.

They’ve been outscored 8-1 this season when I’ve been watching.

They’ve outscored their opponents 5-2 when I haven’t been watching.

Canucks probably deserved that win, but the zebras could have been a lot better.

If you have an Iphone and can send your GPS coordinates, I’ll send in a drone strike.

Henry: Jason Smith was a great captain of the Oilers.Kevin Lowe traded him when he was done.

Ference is coming off injury and may not be done, but Marincin should be up anyway.

Jason Smith was 33 when he was traded.

Ference was 34 when he was signed by MacT.

He’s 35 today and will not get better. Old Dmen just don’t get better.

nycoil: I just wish these guys (MacT/Eakins) would do what they say. Stop feeding us this bullshit about rewarding players for good play and punishing them for bad when you don’t do it. There’s every evidence they don’t do it, except if you listen to what they say, where they are convinced they are smart and running this “fair” system.

This all day long.

9. VanOil says:

I like Ference as the Captain as Hall should not yet have to answer for the failings of this team. I can almost buy that he is not quite done because he is injured. But is middled age man (on SNL right now) going to heal? What the hell is going to happen for the next 3 years he is not going to get better.

10. wheatnoil says:

Captain’s Log:

Valid point. I admit the sample sizes are absurdly small and it’s got to be taken with a huge grain of salt. I do think it helps paint a certain picture of the game. Despite my snide comment about Hunt, I don’t think we can draw any long-term or even intermediate term conclusions by it. It does, however, tell a part of the story of what happened in this game. By no means do I think it’s conclusive.

I think the zone starts and matchups, though, do tell us something about how the coaches chose to run the bench tonight.

11. Kmart99 says:

Woodguy:
    Andrew Ference has 3:22 against Hendrik and went 0/10 corgis for a solid 0%

Man.

Yeah, Ference was absolutely dreadful tonight and easily played a role in the most scoring chances against the oil tonight.

Saw bad: Ference, and Eberle
    Saw good: Yak, Purcell, Drai, Perron, Fayne

Nikitin seemed bad to me, but the numbers suggest he and Fayne worked together. Unfortunately, Ference is so bad, only Petry has a chance at keeping a pairing with Ference afloat.

12. Henry says:

Woodguy: Jason Smith was 33 when he was traded.

Ference was 34 when he was signed by MacT.

He’s 35 today and will not get better.Old Dmen just don’t get better.

You are probably right, of course. 2.9919 more years to find out.

13. wheatnoil says:

Kmart99:
    Nikitin seemed bad to me, but the numbers suggest he and Fayne worked together.Unfortunately, Ference is so bad, only Petry has a chance at keeping a pairing with Ference afloat.

I also saw Nikitin bad, despite the numbers. Perhaps he had a few egregious plays that skew the memory. Perhaps the numbers are skewed by a couple shifts. Or perhaps he’s being buoyed by Fayne. In any case, that’s two games now I’ve seen him bad.

Edit: Hopefully it’s just the ankle, but the mistakes that stand out in my mind are more of the decision making type.

14. Numenius says:

There were a lot of things to like about that game amidst the bad. The biggest positive for me was that the Oil didn’t lose heart when the tide had turned against them (whether from reffing or the Sedins). I also loved that Hunt, Joensuu, Arco, and Yak scored, all guys needing to prove themselves. Too bad the 1st line couldn’t contribute too.

Plus, the Nuuuuuuuuggggggge!!!!! After Nuge stood up for himself and fought, I didn’t care if we ended up losing. When he came out of the penalty box, he seemed to take things to a new level. Our baby Nuge is now a man, sniff…

15. Captain's Log says:

Henry: You are probably right, of course.2.9919 more years to find out.

2.9919 years? How do you figure that number…

He’s a free agent in 2017 on July 1. So that leaves 81 days left this year, 2 full years 2015 and 2016, then 181 days in 2017. 2 years plus 262 days, which equals 2.7178 years. #OilersPositives

Or you could look at it like he has 2 full seasons + 80 games, so 2.9756 seasons left. Not including any playoffs of course, which is DEFINITELY going to happen in the next 3 seasons. Right?

16. Gerta Rauss says:

Eakins audio

-penalty trouble kept Yak and Leon on the bench
    -Fasth was good
    -Jesse(Joensuu) has been excellent, one of the best forwards in training camp and he’s carried that through the first 2 games

17. CrazyCoach says:

Henry:

I doubt you could get anything for Ferrence. IR would be a better option.

18. CrazyCoach says:

And Eakins is in trouble again. Why he says one thing and does another. If you don’t follow up your words with action, some players will tune you out.

19. flyfish1168 says:

Hockey gods are still not on our side. Missed calls by officials sure didn’t help. We sure can use some calls go our way.

20. fifthcartel says:

I saw Ference awful tonight. This could get ugly if they can’t pile together a couple wins.

21. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Penalties got in the way of a good game… a rough day for the Eberle, Hall errant sticks.

The all-imporant 5×5 Fenwick close showed well with EDM at 58%. There were some bad spots in this game but the oil held their own and then some against a respectable (in standings) team.

Woodguy: Too bad Yak is playing with a rookie, its hurting his ice time and he looks ready to go supernova.
    My man Arco with 2 points. I told you so.
    Fasth stole a point from the refs.
    Saw good: Fasth, Yak, RNH, Arco, Purcell, Hunt, Jonensuu, Gordon
    Saw bad: Eberle, Hall at times, Ference, Pouliot, Draisatl (back checking was atrocious, but he’s 18)

Agreed especially in regards to Yak. They are the 4th line and that is a good thing. It is where you develop kids and you only let kids play when times are good… so Yak suffers this game but will win long-term. A couple more games like the 2 so far and I would guess Purcell gets bumped to Gordon’s line and Hendricks sits while someone else develops on the 4th.

Gordon is such a beauty in every way. It is fantastic seeing him play with NHLers.

Schultz had a decent game by my eye. Tied up players, seemed generally aware. Not winning the Norris out there but if Klef played that game I’d call it a good day for a youth D.

Disagree on Hunt. He seems to miss a lot of plays which is making Jultz look worse than he is.

Saw Nikitin very bad. A few ill timed pinches, and he has no idea how to play the twins (in fairness few do). But he seemed out of the play very often this game by his own doing.

I thought Ference played alright but maybe he just didn’t make as many egregious errors as the above 2.

D ES TOI:
    Nikitin: 17.1
    Schultz: 12.5
    Petry: 15.7
    Ference: 16.9
    Hunt: 12.2

For the love of corgis, please get MM back in so Hunt doesn’t have to be sheltered. Bring his bomb back in play if NN or AF are out. Those two are not sufficient for the increased icetime.

22. dangilitis says:

If you had told me the Oilers would have lost the first 2 games because of D issues, I would have nodded in agreement – but when you told me it was the D-men and #1C, rather than #2/3/4 Centers being out of their league, well now I am confused. Especially when I hear that Marincin and Nurse are not playing while Hunt and Schultz are playing ridiculous minutes. I don’t care what anyone says, I am seriously, seriously running a mini-mental status exam on Ramsay right now.

23. Oilers30 says:

Cheering for the Oiler fan.

24. DBO says:

Stayed up to 230 am to watch (I like hurting myself). A few observations

Ference once again is playing above his level. Play him with Schultz on 3rd D pairing at EV’s. Eakins won’t pine him, so shelter him.

Hunt has a slap shot. That’s about it. Slow, not strong on puck. Please get him off the D

Nikitin also barely treading water. Would like to see the D as

Marincin-Fayne
    Nikitin-Petry
    Ference-Schultz
    Actually would love Klefbom in for Ference, but it will not happen

Forward wise, we have pressure, some guys are struggling, but I’d let em run. All the lines have Chemistry. Yeah Eberle is struggling, but you don’t mess with the other lines to move Him. We have 4 real forward lines for first time I can remember. What should scare people is that in 10 games if Joensuu is still rolling, and Gazdic is healthy, you could see a winger dealt for a D (which may be needed judging by early results), especially if Nuge is fighting, and there isn’t “physical response”. Our D has been exposed again. The forwards will be fine. Our goalies just need help from the D and we are fine.

25. wintoon says:

I have seen a lot of comments about the Oilers D being overwhelmed against the Canucks. I actually believe the team played well but totally lost their momentum and focus due to the lousy missed call on the Burrows hand pass assist and the subsequent penalty parade. Not blaming the Refs for this because the calls were largely justified, however, spending that much time and effort on the kill does drain energy.

Of concern to me is Eberle’s level of effectiveness. By eye he is struggling mightily and I am hard pressed to identify one positive that he is currently bringing to the team and his line. Not sure how to fix this. Thoughts?

26. nycoil says:

Edit- I forgot what I was talking about 🙂

27. oliveoilers says:

Oilers30,

Hi, Oilers30!

28. nycoil says:

wintoon,

I’m not saying he needs to be benched for a game (yet), but Eakins’ excuse about Yak’s ice time being cut by the penalties (9:50, 0:00 SH) doesn’t fly when Eberle was playing a lazy and ineffective game and got (21:00, 0:54 SH). Eberle still got double Yak’s EV/PP time.

My first suggestion would be to keep the forwards the same but as it goes, if Yak plays well and Eberle doesn’t, bring out the Macblender a bit and give Yak some of Eberle’s shifts. That ought to: a) encourage Yak and reward good play, b) light a fire under Eberle.

29. oliveoilers says:

I’ll probably re-post this in a later thread if the discussion veers that way, but the best and the worst thing about last night was the Nuge fight. Before somebody says (in a blonde haired, Beverly Hills accent) “like, fighting is soo retarded. He should have, like, totally got them back on the scoreboard. Totally.” remember that we ALL have buttons that, if pushed in the proper sequence, would make us go ape scat like Nuge. Good for him for sticking up for himself. On the other hand…..

This is exactly why people like Burke can hang around the league. All I can see in my mind’s eye is the It’s A Wonderful Life phrase “Every time a bell rings, an angel get’s it’s wings.”

Except I think “Every time a skilled player fights when a POS picks on him, Brian Burke hires Trevor Gillies.”

This is why, misguided and poorly used as it was, the instigator penalty was brought in. So guys like Hamhuis, who, by the way, didn’t even drop his other glove, just used it to get a kung-fu death grip on Nuge’s shirt, can get shit-canned. Only the old school refs didn’t like the rule and chose to interpret in a rather blasé way.

This “arms race” is going to get very real for the NHL soon, with the class action lawsuits coming their way as soon as the lawyers are done killing the NFL. My point of view? Everybody wears helmets in both sports. This gives reasonable doubt to the notion that the players didn’t know what they were getting in to and that they had no idea head injuries were possible in the sport of their choice. They were ALWAYS aware of the risks, as from the first moment of playing in an organised league, they had to wear helmets, which leads to the conclusion that they knew that head injuries were a possibility, but still MADE THE CHOICE to play. Nobody forced them. Now this is different when an opposing player deliberately and maliciously targets the head, but that is what the rules are for. Instead of hiring guys who’s only facility on the team is to punch somebody else in the face. Soon I believe it will be not only the individuals found liable, but also the teams that hire them.

Oilers30:
    Cheering for the Oiler fan.

Ha!

Well done LT.

31. gcw_rocks says:

nycoil:
    Woodguy,

Fed up of the hypocrisy.

I have been saying this about MacT and Eakins for over a year. They talk the talk, but they sure as hell don’t walk the walk. It’s how they walk that matters.

32. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy, “Saw good: Fasth, Yak, RNH, Arco, Purcell, Hunt, Jonensuu, Gordon”

You are kidding in Hunt, right? He was a team worst 25% corsi.

33. gcw_rocks says:

nycoil: And the Pouliot “boneheaded penalty taker” meme is officially under way, with two posters so far tonight. Didn’t take long.

Did your watch any of New York’s run through the playoffs last year? This is nothing new.

34. nycoil says:

oliveoilers,

Well said.

With respect to yesterday, that was a big moment for the team and for Nuge’s development. Hamhuis isn’t exactly a goon, either. Had that been someone like Dorsett (like when Hall went after him) I would have cringed and begged the linesmen to jump in. But it was a big pushback, growing-up moment for the kid who was getting bullied around every year but went away one summer camp, met a girl, got his confidence, had a growth spurt and decided upon his return to not take crap from the bullies anymore.

And although it didn’t lead to more goals for the Oilers, I think the team appreciated that moment and it will pay off down the road. Nuge with a chip on his shoulder is also a force to be reckoned with out there. And if he can buy himself space by being a bit of a wrecking ball sometimes and not a pushover, that’s going to be big.

That said, I don’t think having a goon out there would have helped any. The Canucks employ Kassian, who has enough skill to not just be a d-bag. Notice Sestito wasn’t around, so it’s not like Desjardins is trying to start something. So, I don’t think MacT or Eakins came away from yesterday saying…gee what happened to Nuge, we need to get Gazdic back in there ASAP.

35. nycoil says:

gcw_rocks,

I live in New York. In short, yes. I made several posts (scouting reports) on Pouliot before and after he signed with Edmonton. It’s that part you are missing, but no need to get into it.

gcw_rocks:
    Woodguy, “Saw good: Fasth, Yak, RNH, Arco, Purcell, Hunt, Jonensuu, Gordon”

You are kidding in Hunt, right?He was a team worst 25% corsi.

I guess you missed this follow up post:

Good example of why not to trust the eye test.

37. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy,

I did. Sorry.

38. oliveoilers says:

nycoil,

Thanks. I don’t think Hamhuis is a goon either, but could fall into that ‘poop disturber’ category. Maybe a little Essence d’truculence by the Tortorella Collection is still lingering like milk poured down the kitchen sink on a warm day…..Every now and then you catch a wiff.

39. Pouzar says:

How did Arco look last night? I was watching the game while playing poker with buddies. Couldn’t give it 100% attention. I saw the hand pass goal and parade to the box.

I am still sickened that 2 of Nurse, Klef, and MM aren’t in there. We are going nowhere with the D we have so give Nurse his games, send him down and get MM and Klef playing regular shifts.

40. book¡je says:

I disagree with those who think that Nuge’s fight was a positive. It almost seems to me to be what happens when a skill player is lost and doesn’t know what to do. I didn’t notice the Sundins fighting out there but they seemed to be effective.

41. Ryan says:

Pouzar:

He scored a goal on a nice play… After that he was fairly invisible… He was absolutely pounded by the corgis. Cf of 39% despite 85% ozone starts at 5v5.

By eye, I recall a few plays where he got worked by the Sedins. Mind you our top line also got fileted by the Sedins as well.

42. fuzzy muppet says:

I wonder how many times Marincin’s stick would have broken up a zone entry last night?

I guess we’ll never know.

Why is it that Edmonton’s “braintrust” is willing put out a subpar lineup?

They’re Done by Halloween at this rate.

New post up. Sorry gents, slept in. 🙂

44. nycoil says:

Long weekend Sunday and you’re asleep at the wheel. How dare you! 😉

45. PerryK says:

Woodguy:
    What a pity.

Great start and then the ref’s decided that enough was enough.

Oilers deserved all the penalties except the Fayne one, but how they missed all the crap the Dys did was unconscionable.

Andrew Ference is not a NHL level defender anymore.

His presence on the blue line is going to be an issue all year.

Not good.

My man Arco with 2 points.I told you so.

Fasth stole a point from the refs.

Saw good:Fasth, Yak, RNH, Arco, Purcell, Hunt, Jonensuu, Gordon

I agree with most of that. Just that Pouliot didn’t look all that bad to my eyes most of the game. The OZ penalty being an exception. Many times Schultz looked good. Comparatively, Hunt did not impress me at all. Another Mark Andre Bergeron. Cannot defend!

46. CrazyCoach says:

oliveoilers:
    This “arms race” is going to get very real for the NHL soon, with the class action lawsuits coming their way as soon as the lawyers are done killing the NFL.My point of view?Everybody wears helmets in both sports.This gives reasonable doubt to the notion that the players didn’t know what they were getting in to and that they had no idea head injuries were possible in the sport of their choice.They were ALWAYS aware of the risks, as from the first moment of playing in an organised league, they had to wear helmets, which leads to the conclusion that they knew that head injuries were a possibility, but still MADE THE CHOICE to play.Nobody forced them.Now this is different when an opposing player deliberately and maliciously targets the head, but that is what the rules are for.Instead of hiring guys who’s only facility on the team is to punch somebody else in the face.Soon I believe it will be not only the individuals found liable, but also the teams that hire them.

I agree with you on this. The long tried defense is assumption of risk, but that is getting torn apart at all levels. The league is going to get nailed either through providing/allowing inferior helmets to be worn by its players, or for lousy protocols around concussions or followup care. And, I believe it will be triggered by a couch nozzle hit just like the one Hamhuis put in the Nuge.

« Older Comments