OILERS AT KINGS G3 2014-15

The Edmonton Oilers are 0-1-1 and about to play the first really good team on their schedule, the Los Angeles Kings. LAK are 1-1-1 and have scored only six goals in three games, compared to Edmonton’s six goals in two games. Los Angeles is a team headed for another long playoff run, and possibly elevated status even among elite teams, as they could win their third Stanley in four years (already won in 2012 and 2014). On paper, this is a mismatch. However, it’s also true that if we ponder the current level of play through two games, the Oilers deserve a little better fate than their record shows. If they can stay healthy, maybe this thing turns around and we stop fixating on October last.

yakimov young stars

YAKIMOV RECALL

The recall of Bogdan Yakimov over Anton Lander isn’t a surprise—the Russian outplayed the Swede by a considerable margin based on anecdotal and visual information—but it is a significant moment, a tipping point, for the Oilers prospect group. I think it’s safe to say that players drafted after Craig MacTavish became GM (say 2013 and 2014 drafts) are going to get a push when they turn pro. That list includes Darnell Nurse, Bogdan Yakimov, Greg Chase and Leon Draisaitl, the only players drafted and signed under the MacT regime. That group (along with 2012 picks Yakupov and Khaira, 2011 selection Klefbom) appear to be ‘the future’ based on management verbal that found its way to the masses.

What does that mean for Pitlick, Lander, Marincin, Musil, Simpson? I think they face an uphill climb. Craig MacTavish isn’t tied to these men in any way, and first hand knowledge is a powerful thing.

But here’s the kicker: ARE the men being left behind being unfairly flushed? I don’t think you can make that case at all. Dillon Simpson doesn’t really belong as he hasn’t had pro playing time, but the other bunch have been pro’s for at least a couple of seasons. Bogdan Yakimov got the call because he’s better NOW, that isn’t bias it’s just good business.

Agree?

purcell2

As important as the Nuge is to this team, the RW’s are a big part of the club too. Teddy Purcell looks like a golden find. His soft hands are a big part of his line’s success early in the year, and Purcell’s 2GP, 1-2-3 has him tied for 28th in league scoring. A very nice start.

TONIGHT’S LINEUP (UPDATED 8:04PM)

• Hall—Arcobello—Purcell
  • Pouliot—Draisaitl—Yakupov
  • Perron—Yakimov—Joensuu
  • Hendricks—Gordon—Acton
  • Nikitin—Fayne
  • Nurse—Schultz
  • Ference—Hunt
  • Fasth

That’s my guess for roster tonight, I’m thinking they give Nikitin a little time to heal that ankle and Nurse-Fayne is a good way to bring the rookie in (although Calgary would have been a far better opponent). If Nurse doesn’t play, and Yakimov does, it’ll be a strange bit of trivia. Edmonton would have played their third-round pick in an NHL game before their first-round selection.

The Kings won their first game the other night, but have not been playing well overall this season. If Edmonton were completely healthy or in the middle of a run of luck, or even had their defense figured out, you’d think they’d have a chance to win. We’ll have to wait until the lineup is published, but winning one of tonight or tomorrow night is pretty damn important but I don’t like the look of tonight already.

EBERLE

eberle10

•  Dallas Eakins: “Jordan is sore from the hits and overused. Multiple of things. We’re hoping all can play. All three came in fit after the summer, so we’re not so worried about them practising. We need them to play and we thought they’d all benefit from some rest and rehab.” Source

Eberle did average 19:40 per game through two, that’s a lot of icetime for a forward. However, the Oilers run that 1line pretty heavy (and for obvious reasons). I’ve been concerned about Eberle since the middle point of training camp, doesn’t seem to be getting those Eberle looks around the net. No. 14 is sometimes forgotten with all the top picks around here, but remains a very major part of this team’s success. Losing him impacts the team’s offense in a big way—Eberle has averaged 27 goals in his three full seasons played in the NHL so far in his career. Hopefully he can play tonight and have an impact.

RCN FriedmanMore on the RNH injury this morning from Friedman, what he’s hearing makes sense and of course the Oilers aren’t saying. IF the Oilers had acquired a veteran center this summer, the Nuge injury would be tough to overcome. As it is, we wait to see how badly he’s hurt and how long he’ll be out, with absolutely nothing on the roster that comes close to replacing him. We have our slogan for the year. The Edmonton Oilers: Who knew?

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Jane Birkin Files Pictures

10 this morning, Lowdown on TSN 1260. Scott Burnside from ESPN will be by to talk about the NHL’s first week, including hot and cold starts, injuries and rookies. Next up Travis Yost talks Senators and Oilers blue line, and I’ll ask him just how overwhelmed Edmonton will be at center tonight. At 11, Dennis King chimes in about the Oilers and we’ll talk NFL and MLB too. Andrew Bucholtz from 55-yard line will discuss a huge weekend for Eskimos fans and we wrap it up with Dave Jamieson and football talk at 11:45.

10-1260 text and @Lowetide_ on twitter. Talk soon!

(Cover photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

1,088 Responses to "OILERS AT KINGS G3 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. Numenius says:

OilFire:
    Well, that was a terrible game.I still enjoyed watching it a whole lot more than the games last spring.At least there’s some try out there.

Yes, this!

Edit: Woooot!!! I’m the 1001th commentor (commenter?).

2. AZOIL says:

G Money:
    My comment is awaiting moderation?Have I been swearing too much?Or too little??

It said mine was too, that is new! Maybe to be safe LT is watching what we all say. Lots of anger her tonight!

3. LMHF#1 says:

it’s one thing to get schooled – it’s another to have no hope at all.

Listening to the radio guys is hilarious as they fake like there was any chance tonight.

This was set for failure.

And they’re going to find a way to blame Yakupov again…Jeezus…

4. thepeetso says:

First thread to hit 1,000!

“We penetrated deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness”

5. One-Timer says:

RexLibris: “chased”

Literally or figuratively?

It’s funny both ways.

But no, he actually sniped one!

6. Clay says:

RexLibris: “chased”

Literally or figuratively?

Heh – when I saw “John Scott chased a goalie tonight” I immediately though “well, Mr. Shannahan will be busy tomorrow”. then I thought “right, Shanny is in TO now… I wonder who’s doing his old job?”.

7. nycoil says:

thepeetso: “We penetrated deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness”

“The horror, the horror.”

8. Alpine says:

Not to blame the loss and 0-3 start on goaltending, but it’s not like either guy has flirted with meeting expectations yet. Kinda sucks to be starting the new season again being deflated by partly bad defending, partly bad goaltending and a little bit of presumed shot quality from opponents.

9. "Frank The Dog" says:

I find MacT’s side inexplicable but I still have enough respect for the man from his track record, to give im the benefit of the doubt.

But I’m done with Eakins. He’s completely out of his depth as an NHL coach. Period. as of tonight he should be a dead man walking. The man lacks common sense. He just doesn’t get the big picture.

This team will tailspin until we bring Nelson up or a Dan Bylsma in, but with freedom to choose his own staff.

#FireEakins

10. G Money says:

Score effects or not, when’s the last time the Oilers got 31 shots on the Kings? Or outshot the Kings?

11. RexLibris says:

Okay, the fates have mercy.

I switch channels and come to exactly this moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUtud5NoqFQ

12. Gerta Rauss says:

It’s only fitting that our host had the millennium post, granted, I think the table was rigged..:)..:)

13. skinny65 says:

Anyone know how to find the eakins presser?

14. oilinthepeg says:

A toast to the host that can boast the most posts!

15. Professor Q says:

This would be the first game that even checked the score of this season…

It appears that I have not missed much, nor missed anything tonight.

Sigh.

16. Clay says:

First thread to hit 1,000!

Imagine what will happen when Eberle asks for a trade, or they HS Hall for skating faster than everyone else!

17. Gerta Rauss says:

skinny65,

It’s not up yet.

Away games always take a little longer to be posted

18. TemujinBC says:

First thread to hit 1,000!

Shame the circumstances weren’t happier

19. "Frank The Dog" says:

G Money:
    Score effects or not, when’s the last time the Oilers got 31 shots on the Kings?Or outshot the Kings?

I was going to ask you how long a person like Eakins would remain on your team as a Senior Manager/director, but then I realized he likely would not get past your hiring process in the first place.

20. skinny65 says:

Gerta Rauss,

Thanks, it’s on edmontonoilers.com though usually right?

21. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

G Money,

Exactly. There’s a lot of critiquing in here but this gave a perfect look into the future.

Youth wins the day today with 31 shots. Trade Petry for more youth please and then we can see this team really achieve the oiler vision.

22. unca miltie says:

Numenius: Yes, this!

Edit: Woooot!!! I’m the 1001th commentor.

23. RexLibris says:

Congratulations LT.

1000 comments on a GDT.

Okay crew, tomorrow we aim for 1200!

24. Gerta Rauss says:

skinny65,

Sure-the video/audio are “coming soon” under the game blog

25. skinny65 says:

unca miltie,

Pat did, it’s “because Oilers!”

26. Younger Oil says:

I wonder how many comments winning a Stanley Cup would bring.

Too bad we’ll probably never find out.

27. G Money says:

“Frank The Dog”,

Perhaps the critical distinction is that I would *have* a hiring process!

28. striker says:

Lowetide: First thread to hit 1,000!

I’m eagerly awaiting the day when a thread hits 1000 after an Oilers playoff win. On that day, I’ll think of this thread…the passions in either direction are what life is all about isn’t it…goddamn I love hockey.

29. G Money says:

till_horcoff_is_coach,

Heh, I do believe there have been some hidden positives to start the season despite the moronic decision making on defense (on and off the ice).

But I can’t figure out if your comment about Petry is sarcastic or not?!?

30. su_dhillon says:

First thread to hit 1,000!

31. limit says:

It’s just bad luck right according to Corsi theory with unsustainable low SV%, otherwise I think Ricki is right – it’s about box protection.

32. Scotty LaDouche says:

The Edmonton Oilers are a hockey team.

33. nycoil says:

When Petry gets traded this month for a 3rd and a B prospect while Hunt-Schultz remains, the post count could hit 1,500.

34. nycoil says:

unca miltie: Congrats to lt on generating that many posts. Too tired to read them all. Anybody ever figure out why last years two best d-men (petry & maricin ) did not play?

Twitterverse is active with Petry trade chatter.

35. Kmart99 says:

It was pretty obvious that even with Petry and Marincin in the lineup this team wasn’t going to make the playoffs, but this shooting yourself in the foot thing has got to be getting tiresome.

let’s cut our best LHD
    let’s hs our BEST D
    let’s pair ference and hunt together… cuz that’s smart.
    Let’s get Nikitin and Jultz out on the pk. cuz that’s so smart.

I had this game pegged as a loss regardless, but this was a complete and utter schooling.

36. denny33 says:

“Frank The Dog”:

……………….

What track record?

37. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Just watched the Eakins pregame. The one little question I would have though was if in picking the healthy scratches based on roles if anyone in the org thought someone playing defense was required for a role as a defenseman. I guess in an ideal world that may happen, but as long as those two power play d are available then the biggest nuts are cracked, and the 5v5 time will resolve itself.

Bam. Bet Sutter didn’t see those 31 shots coming.

38. striker says:

nycoil: “The horror, the horror.”

― Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart

39. One-Timer says:

till_horcoff_is_coach:
    Just watched the Eakins pregame. The one little question I would have though was if in picking the healthy scratches based on roles if anyone in the org thought someone playing defense was required for a role as a defenseman.I guess in an ideal world that may happen, but as long as those two power play d are available then the biggest nuts are cracked, and the 5v5 time will resolve itself.

Bam. Bet Sutter didn’t see those 31 shots coming.

We were just giving Quick a bit of help with his SV%.

40. G Money says:

limit,

No, what the Corsi is telling us so far this season is that the Oilers are quite a bit better at getting into the o zone and converting possession into shots. I think that’s a fair assessment – so far I *am* liking the fact that there are three capable scoring lines and a capable hard start DZ line.

The goaltending hasn’t been great, I expect it will get better.

But the defensive zone coverage has been terrible. Horrible.

That’s what happens when you substitute your second best defender from last year (Marincin) with a career AHLer (Hunt).

And tonight is what happens when you substitute your best defender with a rookie playing his first game, against the defending champs no less.

The Corsi in this game was all about score effects.

(There is a hidden positive there too – in the past, the shot clock and Corsi clock were so dominated by the Kings that no amount of score effects would have allowed the Oilers to close the gap. That has changed a little this year. But unfortunately, all of that is overshadowed by the moronic decisions with the D corps).

G Money:
    limit,

No, what the Corsi is telling us so far this season is that the Oilers are quite a bit better at getting into the o zone and converting possession into shots.I think that’s a fair assessment – so far I *am* liking the fact that there are three capable scoring lines and a capable hard start DZ line.

The goaltending hasn’t been great, I expect it will get better.

But the defensive zone coverage has been terrible.Horrible.

The Corsi in this game was all about score effects.

(There is a hidden positive there too – in the past, the shot clock and Corsi clock were so dominated by the Kings that no amount of score effects would have allowed the Oilers to close the gap.That has changed a little this year.But unfortunately, all of that is overshadowed by the moronic decisions with the D corps).

This.

42. Diesel says:

Younger Oil:
    I wonder how many comments winning a Stanley Cup would bring.

43. JUST********WOWIT says:

It wasn’t that long ago that a game like that just could’t be described with only one word. But fortunately for us simple types, society’s ‘shark jumping’ pop culture has given us the perfect fit: Fugly.

44. PaperDesigner says:

So… it has to get better from here right? Right?

45. icecastles says:

Been listening to Ched but haven’t heard the post game comments from Eakins. Did I miss them, or is it just taking unusually long to broadcast them? Believe coaches are required to field questions after every game, yeah?

46. Kmart99 says:

G Money:
    limit,

The goaltending hasn’t been great, I expect it will get better.

But the defensive zone coverage has been terrible.Horrible.

The Corsi in this game was all about score effects.

You make sense, but I’m still every bit as sad.

47. Gerta Rauss says:

Eakins audio

-Fasth pulled his groin…”goalie on the way,not sure who it is”

48. RexLibris says:

striker: It always surprised him when he thought of it later that he did not sink under the load of despair.”
    ― Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart

He was a gem, Achebe.

49. LMHF#1 says:

Cautious play and bad luck…yeah that’s it you bonehead.

So pathetic.

How’s that “3-2 league” plan working for you?

50. G Money says:

Kmart99: You make sense, but I’m still every bit as sad.

Yeah, in case it didn’t come through, so am I. Also mad.

Too sad and mad to listen to Eakins tonight. Will have to try and stomach it tomorrow in the sober light of day.

Goodnight all. Thank you for giving my misery company (my wife bailed on me hours ago).

51. stevezie says:

To those wounded by whatever the hell that was meant to be: I have no words of comfort as to the quality of the team, but I will say it is possible rejoice in the team’s wins without getting crushed by their losses. It’s kind of cheating the system, but so what? I feel better and so will you.

This blog is especially great because you can learn so much about hockey in general, hear some great tunes (ignore icecastles on this subject), and closely follow the mighty Oil while retaining a healthy emotional detachment.

I’ll check back in fully when it’s something other than an exercise in masochism. I’m good at that already.

52. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Gmoney: I assumed all positive comments surely had to be backhanded slights after watching that game. No way there was anything to take away something positive from this game except that the nuge didn’t fight.

Puck support was abysmal. Defense was atrocious. Every line was outmatched AND outworked. But worst of all was the decision making on roster makeup. They play the prize d in a confidence sucking environment. They sit the best d they have left after sending down the best from last year. How do you hide Ference, Schultz, Nurse and Hunt? Especially when Nikitin has been over his head in qualcomp. If you are going to ice a bomb if a team at least think of the future and not shake the confidence of the youth.

I was encouraged from the systems play of the first two games despite the scores, but there was nothing of value to take from this game other than the oilers mgmt rethinking what they think they know.

53. Numenius says:

The Nurse-Schultz pairing actually looked not too bad to my eye when I was actually watching.

The stats seem to agree. Nurse was only -1 and had 64% EVCorsi and Schultz was -2 at 54% EVCorsi. They did have obscenely favorable zone starts though, not to mention the influence of score effects.

I think having a physical puck-moving defender like Nurse with Schultz makes a huge difference.

54. delooper says:

Gordon-Hendricks-Acton finished the night +1 in a 6-1 loss, with all but one of the goals at even-strength. That says something, too.

55. dangilitis says:

Vilify me if you must, I watch as many games as I can if I am around. Tonight, I watched Sons of Anarchy reruns with the wife after I put my daughter to bed. If Eakins and MacT couldn’t give a shit about the product that they ice, why should I? I did have the intestinal fortitude, however, to check the score after 1st period. I correctly predicted it would be 3-0. If I am Hall, why would I want to stay in this organization when, with all do respect, I am playing much of my night with 2 AHL players last season (with all do respect to Arcobello, very little to Hunt) and Justin fucking Schultz?

I am sorry, the Petry decision was inexcusable. It reeks of an organization that is no longer afraid of losing. The fate was sealed this morning, well before the game was played.

This also confirms that Dellow and Ramsay have lost their marbles or have no voices heard within this organization – maybe this will come but I am not about to wait 40 games of this shit show to find out. I have to say that this is the most frustrated I have been as an Oilers fan, and I truly don’t believe it is the duration of suffering that has intensified my anger tonight. I would classify Petry, Marincin and Fayne as the 3 best Dmen available. Nikitin, Klefbom, Justin, Nurse, Ference all are arguably slotted between #4 and 8, with varying opinions on relative value here, with my order as stated. Hunt is clearly below them all at #9. Willfully icing a D corps that contains 1 of the top 3, 4 of the #4-8 options (including 3 of whom I would classify better as #6-8), and #9, instead of #1-6, is just about the dumbest coaching decision made. It is one that there is unanimous fan disagreement with. I don’t think I have ever seen unanimous disagreement with any decision made by Oilers’ coaches

56. icecastles says:

till_horcoff_is_coach: No way there was anything to take away something positive from this game except

– still managed to get shots, even if score effect had a healthy hand in it.
    – Nurse’s first game, he didn’t look too bad.
    – We were down 4 of our best players (Ebs-RNH-Marincin-Petry). This was an ugly game and an ugly loss, but it was one with only a shadow of our ‘real’ team on the ice.

There’s always a silver lining. Always. The good things don’t erase the bad things, but the bad things also don’t erase the good.

57. PaperDesigner says:

delooper:
    Gordon-Hendricks-Acton finished the night +1 in a 6-1 loss, with all but one of the goals at even-strength.That says something, too.

The fourth line not being the problem IS the problem.

58. VanOil says:

The accredited press sure threw some softball questions at Eakins tonight. I believe that accepting Eakins party line that the team got out to poor start and had some bad puck luck makes you an idiot. The results were entirely predictable, see the first 500 post on this blog, and largely based on poor decisions by both MacT and Eakins. Yet none of the professional reporters had the courage to ask him about it.

59. Numenius says:

dangilitis: It reeks of an organization that is no longer afraid of losing.

Disliking losing and being afraid of losing are two very different things.

If they don’t dislike losing, that’s a real problem.

If they’re no longer afraid of losing, that’s a great sign of progress.

60. CrazyCoach says:

Diesel: None from me. I’ll be in the arena district, recreating the Iwo Jima memorial with a Darnell Nurse jersey as a flag.

Can I be your IRA Hayes? Please please please????

61. dangilitis says:

icecastles,

What’s actually interesting looking at the corsi was that the numbers were similar until 2-0 (LA still led), but then they put the boots to Edmonton until it was 3-0. From 3-0 to 5-0 the teams ran in place, and then 5-0 onwards the balance shifted to Edmonton.

Having not seen the game, this suggests that they started out giving it the old college try (For 5 mins :)), when the going got tough (down 2) they folded like a cheap tent, and then even when LA sat back on a 3-0 lead the Oilers at best traded chances. It took a rugby try to either disengage the Kings enough, or motivate the Oilers enough to shift the corsi in their favour.

After the first 2 periods, TSN’s shot tracker I believe showed 4 or 5 of the Kings’ first 5 goals shot from spitting distance.

62. dangilitis says:

Numenius: Disliking losing and being afraid of losing are two very different things.

If they’re no longer afraid of losing, that’s a great sign of progress.

If they don’t dislike losing, that’s a real problem.

Being afraid of losing may be negative from a players’ perspective, but for a coaching and management team is on thin ice, a distaste for losing should be a less powerful internal motivator than a fear of losing, especially when it comes to making the correct plays that are blatantly obvious.

It is literally in Eakins’ best interest to play Petry, this should be a basic survival instinct. After that we can talk about a passion for winning and overcoming a fear of failure. He’s not even evolving as an animal, let alone a human being. Too harsh?

63. Compete Level says:

The day I turn 18 and the oilers wake me up to a nice 3-0 notification. I knew it was only going to get better from there. The birthday pancakes helped me bear a 6-1 result but Eakins please. The first year in a long time and sense could have been made of the defense, but apparently the better way was to effectively get rid of the best defensemen on the team. If Marincin-Petry isn’t a pairing soon I don’t know if Eakins (or whomever responsible) is allowed to make any decisions in life. Can anyone confirm that Dellow isn’t just held captive at Rexall.

64. VanOil says:

Compete Level,

Happy Birthday, Hyvää syntymäpäivää

65. hags9k says:

Well, as many have stated this thing was over before it started. (Especially if you PVR’d it and had to skip through the last 9 mins, OT and SO of the flames game) 3-0 before I had watched a second of action. Ouch, that sucked.

I felt Eakins should have been fired about 11.5 months ago. I really want to get behind him but I don’t think it’s going to happen. If you squint really really hard you can see some improvement with this team, but I think he is going to run out of time.

Is Marincin seriously on the farm Dallas? Seriously? You really want to keep him there another 3 games? Really? ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THAT?

On the road this week. Got to my hotel in time to listen to the TV broadcast for the last two periods, while trying to quickly browse and musthrooming volume of posts.

It is a blur:

1) To the poster who claimed that he put on 20 pounds in 2 years (less than a effinig pound per month) without losing cardiovascular fitnes, Marincin gained 15 pounds in 4 months (more than 3.5 pounds per month). There is no effing way you can maintain CV fitness adding that much weight so quickly.

2) To the poster who claimed the OIlers were not making the same mistakes that they made with Gagner, Lander, and Smid. Gagner played at 18. Draisaitl is playing at 18. Lander was thrust right into the NHL after coming from Europe (at 20). Yakimov is being thrust into the NHL after coming from Europe (at 19). Smid played in the NHL at 19, draft plus 1. Nurse is playing in the NHL at 19, draft plus 1.

3) Hunt was kept away from tough defending situations in OKC. He was paired with a stay-at-home guy in Davidson. Fedun, Marincin, Klefbom, and Musil were utilized in the tough defending situations.

4) Babcock is a UFA next summer. If Katz cleans house and Nicholson takes over, it will be quite a bidding war between the Leafs and the OIlers for his services. Maybe San Jose too.

5) #aspiesrule

6) Eakins just keeps on digging, and MacT has dived into the ditch to help him (head first, no helmet). The three of them (Andrew is down there too of course, though he may not be digging) are thrashing away at one thing or another. Lowe is sitting up top on a lawn chair polishing his SIX rings. #eminencefront

67. maudite says:

Article request question for you LT:

INTRO:

“Theorising that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Doctor Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished… He woke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own, and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on this journey is Al, an observer from his own time, who appears in the form of a hologram that only Sam can see and hear. And so Doctor Beckett finds himself leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home…”

“Oh boy…” – Doctor Sam Beckett

What are the key moments Dr. Beckett might land at and whose place would he be in?

68. maudite says:

The last 30 years of this franchise has some doozeys. When this season is past the point of “holy what in the fark!”, I would love to see a series on self inflicted cuts (not the endless paper ones just the hari-kiri’s)

69. book¡je says:

As I think about last nights game, I am inclined to think that Eakins was saving his better players for the second of a back to back which is more winnable. With that said, I wonder if he gave any consideration as to the psychological impacts of getting hammered by the Kings or if he understood how poor his defense really was.

70. flyfish1168 says:

71. PhrankLee says:

Congrats on your 1000+ comment post, Al. This decade would have been a lot dimmer without you. You have kept me from buying a Nashville jersey all these years.

Arco did not look bad. He was not RNH but I love the story with this kid. Was very proud of him and his play.
    Hendricks was the only man out there in Oilers colours.
    Victor looked shaky and I would have thought the big brains would give Ben the start for emotional purposes.
    Yakimov was tentative. He’s too young for this.
    Nurse looked like he did in TC. Trying to do too much so he gets noticed. (That’s not “teamy”)
    Schultz may be the laziest looking defenceman I have ever seen. Maybe it’s because I have sons his age but the lollygagging and soft plays are so consistent that I fear these are fabric of his entitled existence. Bastard.
    I thought Jesse had a good game. Was pushed around.
    I thought Nail looked dangerous on the other side of the redline. Hopeless on ours. Better but hopelessly out of depth defensively. Still I think he’s going to do some business with that big iron on his hip. Big iron on his hip….
    Leon looked very sheepish as well.

Positives: Everyone was dressed in the same clothes. (Nobody forgot their jerseys at home)
    Nobody did that annoying “wasssssssuuuup?” in pre or post interviews. Impressed.
    It was so late (living in EST) by the time the third started I was asleep.
    Taylor Hall hasn’t broken up with us, yet. He deserves better. Way, way better.

72. rich says:

book¡je,

Excellent point. If the strategy w/sitting Petry really was saving him for the more “winnable” game, what message is that sending your team?

Watching several of the King’s laughing at the Oiler’s has to be frustrating for some of the vets that came from a more disciplined environment.

Also, don’t you think tonight’s opponent is also going to look at that as motivation as well?

73. Kmart99 says:

As Bruce said, winning any sort of statistical matchup in this game was akin to the blue bombers winning the second half against the esks on Monday.

Once it was 3-0 the Kings just pulled in the paddles and let the current take them to shore.
    The oil played a mediocre final 40 minutes at best.
    Hunt, Ference, Jultz, and Eakins cost them a game that could’ve been competitive. The only positive for me was that Nurse looked like the oilers’ best D man. His biggest flaw being nerves.

Time to grow a set of balls and a brain and dress your best line up.

That means Marincin, Petry, and Nurse ALL PLAY, and maybe Klefbom too. FUCK anyone who isn’t helping the oilers win.

74. Yeti says:

I get back here after my waxing and everyone seems just as worked up as when I left. Did something bad happen?

75. russ99 says:

Did MacT or Eakins yet say “We were wrong”?

Until there’s an admission, it’s smartest guys in the universe as usual and there can be no correction or movement towards respectability.

76. jake70 says:

flyfish1168: Its nice to see we out shot the Kings but really how many shots were from the Kill zone. Quick really had a easy evening.

And when they are in the kill zone, far too often, by general observation, they shoot wide or into the goalie’s crest or glove so no chaos from any rebounds.

And turning north may not mean winning these games against these powerhouses but it should not mean getting routed by them either.

What was Hall grimacing about on the bench?

77. "Frank The Dog" says:

I was thinking about this game as I lay awake in bed early this morning and I realized the driver for this level of outrage.

There is an ethic, a moral obligation, an unwritten rule, a covenant that dictates that each participant in a competitive activity such as Hockey gives of their best in every game they play. The players owe it to their employers and fans and to each other. The management has an obligation to ice the best possible roster under the circumstances. The coach has a similar obligation, to make the very best he can with what he has available to him under the circumstances.

Last night I feel the management and the head coach betrayed that covenant. They betrayed their fans, they betrayed their players and they betrayed any coaching staff that were not supportive of this. Deliberatly icing a sub-par team is also a mark of disrespect, a slap in the face of their opponents for the evening, and the LZ Kings had a right to pile it on way more than they did. Sutter demonstrates how it is possible to compete fiercely but also be a gentleman, a man of common decency at the same time by not piling it on. LA could have come out of this with 10 or more goals, I suppose, but I also suppose the league would also have been onto them for that.
    It was the most disgusting nadir I have ever witnessed with this team since I started watching in the early 90’s.

I’m not saying that they were capable of icing a competitive team against LA. I’m saying that be keeping Petry, Klefbom and Marincin off the ice, they chose not to.

This is beyond incompetence. Beyond negligence. It is as fraudulent as buying a TV and discovering you’ve been sold a plastic shell weighted down with sand.

The line has been crossed. They not only make decisions that are unfathomable to the experienced hockey players, coaches and analysts that contribute to this blog, but for the first time we have witnessed the lack of the most fundamental ethic of all – to ice as competitive a team as is available.

I cannot conceive that MacT is this unethical or this stupid. Not with his background. Eakins however does not have that background. It’s more of a papered over veneer that has been exposed once and for all.

I have supported Eakins through his survival of his assistants, and I do believe he had inept assistants. But Eakins the coach apparently does not have his feet anchored in common sense or the covenant mentioned above. He has become a charade, an insult to the game of hockey.

Before all else, Eakins must go, and his sidekick Acton. Let Ramsay run as an interim HC while they do the search, or if they already have Nelson lined up, bring him up and let him do his job with his choice of assistants.

My condolences to the players on this team who were betrayed by their management and coach last night. I only hope this is fixed soon enough that we don’t lose out high end skill once again.

78. thepeetso says:

Kmart99:

Time to grow a set of balls and a brain and dress your best line up.

That means Marincin, Petry, and Nurse ALL PLAY, and maybe Klefbom too.FUCK anyone who isn’t helping the oilers win.

This.

It seems so damn obvious.

79. JUST********WOWIT says:

Yeti: Did something bad happen?

Only a little worse than an ingrown hair getting waxed.

80. Bank Shot says:

Yakupov is still a hot mess out there.

Draisaitl doesn’t look like he should be in the NHL.

Hunt sucks.

This team started the season with too many potential liabilities and its snowballing on them again.

Petry and Marincin would have helped some, but they aren’t the difference in this team being decent or not.

Too many other holes.

81. "Frank The Dog" says:

The only hope I can offer, is that time will tell that there were valid drivers for all of these decisions, that add some level of sanity, ethics and competitiveness to last night’s charade.

82. Dicky94 says:

Anyone else see Hall’s body language on the ice. He is sick of losing and Oilers management had better fix this quick. I can’t see him sticking around for much longer if things don’t improve. The team as a whole looked lost last night.

83. Messier11edm says:

10 Observations after 3 games: would be interested in hearing thoughts.

1) Eberle doesn’t play with enough passion and intensity. Arcobello plays with more of a compete level than he does. Ebs should be considered as a valuable piece to trade for size up the middle or on the blue line.

2) size may have been added, but not the toughness and nastiness. The team is getting battered and bruised

3) Eakins is NOT the coach that will be able to take this team to the playoffs. Elaboration below:

-why pull Petry out of the lineup against the Kings (your most consistent defenseman in the first 2 games)?

-why the heck would you wait to bring Nurse in against the Stanley cup champions as opposed to starting him at the beginning of the season. It’s almost 99.9% certain that they will send him to SSM, so why are they delaying the inevitable and keeping him away from developing by having him sit in the skybox.

-why does Eakins need the ear piece to communicate with the coaching staff upstairs. Give it to your assistant. I don’t see any other head coach with it. He loves hearing himself talk so much he isn’t willing to stop evening during a game.

– it’s painfully obvious the oilers still aren’t playing or understand systems. They still look lost in their own zone and

4) Jesse Joneseau has been the best oilers forward to this point. Petry the best defenceman. Unfortunately this doesn’t bode well for the team long-term.

5) Ference is undoubtedly a great leader and humanitarian, but he is badly, I mean really badly, struggling with playing defence. His lack of speed and size is being exploited by other teams.

6) the Oilers better not rely on Justin Schultz to be their #1 defenceman. His defensive shortfalls greatly outweigh is offensive upside. He seems entirely disinterested in his own zone. It’s absolutely shocking.

7) the Hall-RNH-Eberle line isn’t going to work unless they have a watchdog on the blue line. They are getting creamed on almost every shift. I was impressed about RNH sticking up for himself against Hamuis, but I wasn’t happy about it. Now you have 2/3 out of the lineup.

8) Yakapov would win the most improved player (albeit its only been 3 games). Eakins better keep his mouth shut and not go off publicly about him when he has some inevitable bad nights. If he isn’t calling out Eberle, he sure as hell better leave Yakapov alone.

9) can’t blame the goalies for these loses. They haven’t been stellar by any means, but they haven’t been Dubnyk-like either. Defensive breakdowns and and miscues are allowing teams to have point blank opportunities.

10) altho it likely wasn’t available or the cost was too high, but I think it has become more obvious than not getting an experienced NHL centreman prior to the start of the regular season is proving to be costly

84. JUST********WOWIT says:

When watching a tire fire, how do you tell which tire was good and which tire was bad, as they burn?

85. russ99 says:

1. “intensity” and “compete level” don’t mean squat when you’re getting killed like last night.

This is where Eakins narrative is totally failing the players and indirectly us. All this talk about “90 foot game” and “compete level” are taking away from our strengths and overemphasizing our weaknesses.

I want our next coach to have defensive players that play defense, like an actual checking line and a shutdown pair against the opposition best, like 29 other NHL teams does and let our scoring lines score. The defensive responsibility will come through maturity, you can’t force it without messing everything else up.

Besides, either we need Eberle at top form or need to replace all those points. Arcobello’s not going to do that.

2. That’s a coaching and strategy, not a shortcoming of the roster. Again if our veteran bottom six players were played together and given the initiative to play that way, we’d have that. Instead MacT thinks it’s 1984 and we can play 4 scoring lines and Fuhr/Moog can bail everything out.

3. Duh.

4. Again, it’s how they’re used, not deficiencies on the roster. MacT specifically acquired players to fill these roles and he and/or Eakins has them playing completely different.

5. May have to bury him in the minors at some point, if we can put out the tire fire.

6. When we repeat the same mistakes as last year and expect different results, that’s insanity, right? Schultz need a quality veteran to help him improve the defensive side of his game. He’s not a crease-clearer, and frankly he looked pissed and was giving up after plays just to be put in that role. Coaching, coaching, coaching…

7. They will when they stop dumping and cycling, playing into the the bigger team’s strengths and create on the fly. Again, coacning.

8, 9, 10. Completely agree.

86. 719 says:

That 4th line is gold!

87. AZOIL says:

Just watched warm up and you can just tell nurse and yakupov love the game. Both are bouncing around and just looked amped up.

« Older Comments