OILERS AT KINGS G3 2014-15

The Edmonton Oilers are 0-1-1 and about to play the first really good team on their schedule, the Los Angeles Kings. LAK are 1-1-1 and have scored only six goals in three games, compared to Edmonton’s six goals in two games. Los Angeles is a team headed for another long playoff run, and possibly elevated status even among elite teams, as they could win their third Stanley in four years (already won in 2012 and 2014). On paper, this is a mismatch. However, it’s also true that if we ponder the current level of play through two games, the Oilers deserve a little better fate than their record shows. If they can stay healthy, maybe this thing turns around and we stop fixating on October last.

yakimov young stars

YAKIMOV RECALL

The recall of Bogdan Yakimov over Anton Lander isn’t a surprise—the Russian outplayed the Swede by a considerable margin based on anecdotal and visual information—but it is a significant moment, a tipping point, for the Oilers prospect group. I think it’s safe to say that players drafted after Craig MacTavish became GM (say 2013 and 2014 drafts) are going to get a push when they turn pro. That list includes Darnell Nurse, Bogdan Yakimov, Greg Chase and Leon Draisaitl, the only players drafted and signed under the MacT regime. That group (along with 2012 picks Yakupov and Khaira, 2011 selection Klefbom) appear to be ‘the future’ based on management verbal that found its way to the masses.

What does that mean for Pitlick, Lander, Marincin, Musil, Simpson? I think they face an uphill climb. Craig MacTavish isn’t tied to these men in any way, and first hand knowledge is a powerful thing.

But here’s the kicker: ARE the men being left behind being unfairly flushed? I don’t think you can make that case at all. Dillon Simpson doesn’t really belong as he hasn’t had pro playing time, but the other bunch have been pro’s for at least a couple of seasons. Bogdan Yakimov got the call because he’s better NOW, that isn’t bias it’s just good business.

Agree?

purcell2

As important as the Nuge is to this team, the RW’s are a big part of the club too. Teddy Purcell looks like a golden find. His soft hands are a big part of his line’s success early in the year, and Purcell’s 2GP, 1-2-3 has him tied for 28th in league scoring. A very nice start.

TONIGHT’S LINEUP (UPDATED 8:04PM)

• Hall—Arcobello—Purcell
  • Pouliot—Draisaitl—Yakupov
  • Perron—Yakimov—Joensuu
  • Hendricks—Gordon—Acton
  • Nikitin—Fayne
  • Nurse—Schultz
  • Ference—Hunt
  • Fasth

That’s my guess for roster tonight, I’m thinking they give Nikitin a little time to heal that ankle and Nurse-Fayne is a good way to bring the rookie in (although Calgary would have been a far better opponent). If Nurse doesn’t play, and Yakimov does, it’ll be a strange bit of trivia. Edmonton would have played their third-round pick in an NHL game before their first-round selection.

The Kings won their first game the other night, but have not been playing well overall this season. If Edmonton were completely healthy or in the middle of a run of luck, or even had their defense figured out, you’d think they’d have a chance to win. We’ll have to wait until the lineup is published, but winning one of tonight or tomorrow night is pretty damn important but I don’t like the look of tonight already.

EBERLE

eberle10

•  Dallas Eakins: “Jordan is sore from the hits and overused. Multiple of things. We’re hoping all can play. All three came in fit after the summer, so we’re not so worried about them practising. We need them to play and we thought they’d all benefit from some rest and rehab.” Source

Eberle did average 19:40 per game through two, that’s a lot of icetime for a forward. However, the Oilers run that 1line pretty heavy (and for obvious reasons). I’ve been concerned about Eberle since the middle point of training camp, doesn’t seem to be getting those Eberle looks around the net. No. 14 is sometimes forgotten with all the top picks around here, but remains a very major part of this team’s success. Losing him impacts the team’s offense in a big way—Eberle has averaged 27 goals in his three full seasons played in the NHL so far in his career. Hopefully he can play tonight and have an impact.

RCN FriedmanMore on the RNH injury this morning from Friedman, what he’s hearing makes sense and of course the Oilers aren’t saying. IF the Oilers had acquired a veteran center this summer, the Nuge injury would be tough to overcome. As it is, we wait to see how badly he’s hurt and how long he’ll be out, with absolutely nothing on the roster that comes close to replacing him. We have our slogan for the year. The Edmonton Oilers: Who knew?

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Jane Birkin Files Pictures

10 this morning, Lowdown on TSN 1260. Scott Burnside from ESPN will be by to talk about the NHL’s first week, including hot and cold starts, injuries and rookies. Next up Travis Yost talks Senators and Oilers blue line, and I’ll ask him just how overwhelmed Edmonton will be at center tonight. At 11, Dennis King chimes in about the Oilers and we’ll talk NFL and MLB too. Andrew Bucholtz from 55-yard line will discuss a huge weekend for Eskimos fans and we wrap it up with Dave Jamieson and football talk at 11:45.

10-1260 text and @Lowetide_ on twitter. Talk soon!

(Cover photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

1,088 Responses to "OILERS AT KINGS G3 2014-15"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. hunter1909 says:

nycoil: The sad thing is, MacT may blow it all up rather than fire Eakins

2. PaperDesigner says:

Hey Lowetide, can we change this to a Winnipeg Jets blog? I feel better about their chances.

3. thepeetso says:

Marcus Oilerius: Honestly, I’m kind of apathetic.

I mean, slightly excited at the prospect of Eakins getting fired, distant hope of MacT and Lowe being shown the door, but otherwise… just kinda bored.Like “oh, this again.”Last season I was mad, mad enough to finally start posting, because I just finally disagreed with LT’s optimism enough.

This season, I get to go to bed early.

“Even extreme grief may ultimately vent
    itself in violence–but more generally takes the form of apathy”

4. PaperDesigner says:

hunter1909: MacT might be rash, but he’s not senile. Eakins is out of his depth as an NHL coach. Anyone can see that.

I think good coaches can sometimes overthink themselves and make massive errors.

I want to see more before I start laying a lot of blame. But one would have to think MacTavish has to wear this, primarily, if they don’t start turning this around.

5. russ99 says:

Looked like the sixth goal was intentionally whiffed on during three-on-one and a gaping wide net.

Even the Kings are embarrassed for us.

6. "Frank The Dog" says:

The Emonton Oilers are a hockey team that play in the NHL.

7. hunter1909 says:

Time for Ference to grab the team and lead them to glory, lol.

8. striker says:

Yak is still giving it his all, love that guy

9. striker says:

striker: Yak is still giving it his all, love that guy

Yakupov i mean

10. nycoil says:

Except MacT hasn’t seen that at all.

11. Marcus Oilerius says:

thepeetso,

If I’m grieving for anything, it’s for Taylor Hall’s wasted career.

He’s 23 years old and I already think of it that way.

12. Ryan says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Ryan,

I fully expect a top 10 prospects in the 2015 draft post tomorrow.So fucking depressing.

I hope beyond all hope that Rexall is half empty next home game.

Not going to lie, yeah, we’re Ballard’s leafs.

13. PaperDesigner says:

“Frank The Dog”:
    The Emonton Oilers are a hockey team that play in the NHL.

The Edmonton Oilers are a hockey team in the NHL, against everyone’s better judgment.

14. RexLibris says:

Okay.

5-0 end of 2nd period.

I’m thinking this game ends 7-0.

Anyone going to take the over? The under?

SN saying this could be a “learning experience” for the young team.

They aren’t supposed to be that freaking young any more.

Pouliot, Purcell, Ference, Fayne, Hall, Gordon, Hendricks, and on it goes.

15. striker says:

Jesus H Christ, the Kings broadcast at intermission, is going to have Stoll and Greene talk about being traded to the Kings from the Oilers in ’08. Shoot me now…

16. Captain's Log says:

Given how little the Oilers seem to value both Marincin and Petry I wonder if we see one or both moved to fill the 2C hole. Then Draisaitl can go back after 9 games and the Oilers can just regular suck instead of sucking + wasting a year of a young player.

Heck maybe they even send Nurse back! He’s a better player already than both Hunt and Ference in my opinion but let’s not waste a year of his contract.

17. PaperDesigner says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    thepeetso,

If I’m grieving for anything, it’s for Taylor Hall’s wasted career.

He’s 23 years old and I already think of it that way.

Oh, don’t worry. I’m sure he will engineer a trade out of town within the next three years.

He’ll win several Stanley Cups in LA, I’m sure.

18. Ryan says:

Marcus Oilerius: Honestly, I’m kind of apathetic.

This season, I get to go to bed early.

You’re not alone. We all feel that way.

19. Gordies Elbow says:

No Edmonton Oiler has worn #97.

Petry, Marincin in the minors on the right, Nurse, Acton, Yakimov, Hunt?

Yep, getting it crested tomorrow. Will look good in the new arena, which I think is the only plan left.

20. russ99 says:

Great… Stoll and Greene to talk about the trade between periods. 🙁

Can stand lot, but even I have limits. Good night everyone. Hope nobody else gets hurt.

I’ll have to laugh at the post-game presser tomorrow morning.

21. PaperDesigner says:

RexLibris:
    Okay.

5-0 end of 2nd period.

I’m thinking this game ends 7-0.

Anyone going to take the over? The under?

SN saying this could be a “learning experience” for the young team.

They aren’t supposed to be that freaking young any more.

Pouliot, Purcell, Ference, Fayne, Hall, Gordon, Hendricks, and on it goes.

I’ll take under.

I think the final period is going to be a scoreless snoozefest.

22. hunter1909 says:

PaperDesigner: I think good coaches

As an NHL coach however, he’s simply lost. For one thing, the players ignore him. Think about it. They ignore him.

23. Henry says:

danny:
    Odds on oilers management praising Quick in the post game?

No it was Yak’s fault.

24. RexLibris says:

Two intermissions and both times SN has interviewed a Kings player.

Interesting.

25. bill needle says:

Could an AHL team beat the Oilers now?

26. One-Timer says:

For some reason, I don’t hate Dustin Brown as much as I used to.

And he doesn’t give a damn about his hair.

27. Henry says:

It’s 6:15 AM in England. I wonder if Ralph is watching.

28. One-Timer says:

Also, this thread looks like a lock to crack 1000 comments.

29. RexLibris says:

October 16th, 2008.

After 4 games, the Blackhawks fire Savard and hire Joel Quennville as coach.

30. rich says:

Am going to ask, how much of this is Eakins and how much of it is MacT at this point. MacT made the decision on Marincin, and I have to wonder given all of Eakins verbal on Petry if he’s really making the call on this as well (healthy scratch). It doesn’t add up.

I mean seriously, Eakins can’t be this blind regarding the defense, can he? I really want to believe that he’s running this defense to make a point. Or maybe I’m just hoping he is.

31. nycoil says:

Kings’ broadcasters: The Oilers have lots of speed, but they’re not using it. They don’t really have a system.

Yeah, no system. Everyone else can see it?

32. hunter1909 says:

Henry:
    It’s 6:15 AM in England.I wonder if Ralph is watching.

Ralph probably wakes up at 4:30 to train, so yes.

33. thepeetso says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    thepeetso,

If I’m grieving for anything, it’s for Taylor Hall’s wasted career.

He’s 23 years old and I already think of it that way.

“. . . but in the great demoralization of the land he kept up his appearance. That’s backbone.”

34. LMHF#1 says:

This could have been a Jim Nill team. i can only imagine how different that would have been. Such a missed opportunity.

35. jake70 says:

Henry:
    It’s 6:15 AM in England.I wonder if Ralph is watching.

We know Renney is thinking about May and which Oilers he will be calling for WCs. Man.

36. Ryan says:

Alright. I’m out too guys.

You reap what you sow. On that note. Mact and Eakins, how do you like them apples?

Yeah, that and think outside of the box. Cough Marincin/ Petry cough…

37. Gordies Elbow says:

nycoil:

Yeah, no system. Everyone else can see it?

Coaching? Who needs coaching?

38. jzed says:

“We’ve been up the mountain together”, ……..

Hall et al.. have been down to the outhouse together.

39. PaperDesigner says:

LOL. Doug MacLean was talking about how it was a great opportunity for the Oilers to watch a better team demonstrate how it’s done.

Yeah, because this team doesn’t spend nearly enough time WATCHING the other team actually play hockey.

40. jake70 says:

Out too. Tune in tomorrow to watch Samwise pot a couple.

41. Henry says:

jake70: We know Renney is thinking about May and which Oilers he will be calling for WCs.Man.

He should get the whole band together and see what they can do with competent leadership.

Honest question: How can management and coaching ask the team to compete if they don’t compete themselves?

Game 4.

42. PaperDesigner says:

hunter1909: Say whatever you want, but no way can Dallas Eakins be accused of competency at NHL level. Eakins should be coaching the Barons; hammering a few simple points over and over to a terrified young team, with the power to help/hinder their elevation to the bigs.

This is pretty much a chicken/egg argument.

It’s worth remembering that they found ways to lose that didn’t involve awful five on five play against lesser competition with a better line-up in the past two games.

I guess I just don’t think it’s as simple as smart people always make smart moves and stupid people always make stupid moves. I would be less muddled on Eakins if he had what I considered to be a NHL roster.

And I guess I’m used to a coach making head-scratching moves and still respecting him as competent. I felt MacTavish was a good coach, occasional odd move aside.

43. hunter1909 says:

rich: I mean seriously, Eakins can’t be this blind regarding the defense, can he? I really want to believe that he’s running this defense to make a point.

Eakins isn’t in a position to make points. He’s blind in to the NHL in many ways.

bill needle:
    Could an AHL team beat the Oilers now?

Don’t be silly. They’d never get to the rink in time.

45. striker says:

fuzzy muppet: I’m willing to bet Willis would like to go back 12 hours and not put up his “calm-down-juice” posty.

The points made by Willis in that ON piece are still valid. He also foreshadowed possible disaster in his CoH piece just before the game

46. Numenius says:

fuzzy muppet:

That post was before the Petry healthy scratch. I was with Willis at the time.

But Dallas found a way to deflate the good will and hope that still remained in the fan base.

Last year I called him “The Demotivator”.

I didn’t realize in how many ways that applies. 1) Demotivates his players, 2) Demotivates his fan base, and 3) Demotes his best players to the minors or to healthy scratch status.

47. hunter1909 says:

PaperDesigner: You assume this team is good enough at hockey to be able to follow instructions.

I think NHL level players can be coached, yes.

Your tone reminds me of when they were looking for a new coach, and the management fed the media the idea that it was a bad idea for them to hire a Hartley/Sutter type, on the basis the young players development would suffer.

48. striker says:

Wonder what the Visitor’s dressing room in Staples Center is like in the intermission.

49. D says:

Watching the King’s feed down here in the States. They had a 2nd intermission profile on Stoll and Greene and how their arrival to LA changed the entire culture of the team. Thank you Oilers. 🙁

50. danny says:

I think every time EDM is losing at home the fans should start the “Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! ” chant.

51. jzed says:

This performance even has Gene subdued ….

52. Diesel says:

I love this team, and I take an absolute beating from most of my buddies for being a Mac T apologist.

That being said, we deserve the immolation (thanks LT) we received tonight. Injuries and all.

Reckless, indefensible decisions that have exposed our forwards and lobotomized our defence corps.

53. blainer says:

I firmly believe that MacEakins are clueless to have Hunt and Ference on this team PERIOD. They must not have a clue on how to evaluate players. Not happy with Shultz either but can see him playing with MM covering for him. If I were the owner of this team I would tell MacEakins you have two weeks to turn this around or your both gone. This is an opportunity to sit Ference as no player is gonna argue with changes after this slaughter. These Morons in management and behind the bench deserve what they are getting tonight. I hope to God they can see the error of their ways and listen to Dellow and fix this now.

54. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Don’t be silly. They’d never get to the rink in time.

The Oilers or the AHL team?

55. rich says:

Gordon is back out. Not sure if that’s good or bad news at this point with a game tomorrow.

56. RexLibris says:

Numenius: That post was before the Petry healthy scratch. I was with Willis at the time.

Last year I called him “The Demotivator”.

If you have some time, take a look at a few.

One of my favourites is “Consulting: if you can’t be part of the solution, there’s good money to be made in prolonging the problem”.

57. Captain's Log says:

Nikitin looks like he isn’t right. He’s moving slowly if you ask me.

Maybe Petry draws in and Nikitin out tomorrow?

58. flyfish1168 says:

Beside a goalie being called up tomorrow evening game who else will be called?

4th line still hasn’t been scored on 5 x 5

59. Oilanderp says:

Imagine if Scrivens, gord forbid, was injured.

60. RexLibris says:

Oilanderp:
    Imagine if…

61. Oilanderp says:

Someone tell the wingers to be on the wall. Thanks.

62. RexLibris says:

Oilanderp:
    Someone tell the wingers to be on the wall. Thanks.

Oh, I’m pretty sure they feel like they are standing against it alright. Cigarettes lit and blindfolds tight.

63. gcw_rocks says:

jzed:
    This performance even has Gene subdued ….

I noticed this two. Silver lining…

64. su_dhillon says:

If we set the over under at 100 games on Hall asking for a trade, who is taking the over?

65. Henry says:

RexLibris: …Acton scores a goal off his shinpad and Eakins decides to start him tomorrow night on the 1st line.

I had a flashback of Potulny centering the first line. Thanks a lot.

66. PaperDesigner says:

hunter1909: 3 1st overall draft picks can do anything. Ditto Justin Shultz. Ditto Marincin who played great last year. Ditto Petry. Ditto Ference who should be told his job by someone. Ditto the newcomers who should be able to slot into a system.

I think NHL level players can be coached, yes.

So if the Oilers bring in what you would consider a legitimate head coach, you expect Ference and Schultz to suddenly get it together?

I don’t.

I’m not arguing that Eakins is a legitimate head coach. I simply take the position that of all the positions in hockey, coaching is the one we’re least qualified to judge. We can judge player performance. We can judge GMs on their ability to acquire players with quality performance. But we really can only judge coaches fairly if we seem them coach a roster very similar to their predecessor or successor.

The Oilers that sucked under Quinn also sucked under Renney also sucked under Krueger also sucked under Eakins.

Renney is probably the only good coach you can pick out of the bunch, and that has to do with his tenures both before and after.

67. One-Timer says:

If a guy lies down on the ice in front of your blade and you catch him in the face, is that a high-stick?

68. Captain's Log says:

Arcobello seems like a smart player but he’s always making passes into tight spaces instead of hitting an open man.

69. RexLibris says:

Who took the over?

70. Captain's Log says:

Wow Scrivens, you looked totally lost there…

71. su_dhillon says:

Nikitin almost got there. #Progress

72. delooper says:

Looking for positives…. Yakimov’s faceoff percentage looks good.

73. gr8one says:

No words.

Just felt I needed to be part of the record breaking comment count.

It’s the little things.

74. gcw_rocks says:

So, can we officially call the MacT era a failure yet?

75. RexLibris says:

Henry: I had a flashback of Potulny centering the first line.Thanks a lot.

Yeah, but we were really bad then.

*crickets*

76. LMHF#1 says:

RexLibris:
    Who took the over?

Right here!

Really should have put big coin on this one.

77. jp says:

So I just got in and haven’t seen any of the game, but was able to read just a little of the thread on the way home. I know the score is beyond ugly. I know Ebs and Nuge are out with injury. I know Petry isn’t playing. And I know Fasth was pulled under potentially unusual circumstances.

Has there been any confirmation that Petry is a healthy scratch? Is it possible he’s injured? Or maybe an imminent trade? Honestly, I think I’d feel better about a trade than if Eakins is sitting Petry on “merit”. You gotta wonder how long Eakins will be around if this was a genuine healthy scratch.

How have Nurse and Yakimov been?

I see that the shots are close to even. Is that all score effects? Is the game on Fasth?

Anything else notable?

78. icecastles says:

123 comments left to hit 1000.
    I wish this game would last forever!
    Wait… it already feels like it is.

79. LMHF#1 says:

Henry: I had a flashback of Potulny centering the first line.Thanks a lot.

Free Ryan Potulny?

80. wunderbar says:

I just want the game to end so we can hear the Eakins standup comedy act after the game and I can go to bed.

81. Captain's Log says:

I feel like Darryl Sutter is looking over at the Oilers bench and thinking “what is going on over there?”

82. RexLibris says:

icecastles:
    123 comments left to hit 1000.
    I wish this game would last forever!
    Wait… it already feels like it is.

122.

A journey of a thousand comments begins with a single step.

83. book¡je says:

Lowetide: Don’t be silly. They’d never get to the rink in time.

That’s awesome!

84. delooper says:

This is all I can take for the night. I hope there’s a revelation tomorrow that makes sense to all this.

85. icecastles says:

jp: And I know Fasth was pulled under potentially unusual circumstances.

Left with a groin injury.

jp: Has there been any confirmation that Petry is a healthy scratch?

Yes. See Eakins’ presser. Take it or leave it whether you think it was a good idea (I say if he wasn’t ready and this was a virtually garunteed loss, then it’s not the end of the world), but he is indeed a healthy scratch.

jp: Is there a story with Fasth asking to be pulled or getting upset at the coaching staff? Or is that just conjecture?

No. He’s injured. No word on how serious. Looked like he overextended on the third (I think) goal.

86. Captain's Log says:

Quit overcommitting on the half wall guys! Lucky that pass skipped by Voynov…

87. rich says:

gcw_rocks,

The minute he trades Petry for a bag of pucks (not the commentator, but the litteral) yes, we can.

88. oilinthepeg says:

Where is Dennis King?
    He always makes me laugh…

89. PaperDesigner says:

I can’t WAIT to hear Eakins’ post-game press conference. It might be the most entertaining thing this season.

90. bendelson says:

jp:

How have Nurse and Yakimov been?

Anything else notable?

Fasth is injured.
    Nothing else of note.

91. G Money says:

Captain’s Log:

Well, in fairness, we’ve been asking that exact question since early today.

92. book¡je says:

I hope Dellow emailed MacT and Eakins before the game and told them that they could lose 8-0 if they go ahead with this defense.

93. G Money says:

Have the commentators yet mentioned Petry or Marincin even once?

94. su_dhillon says:

icecastles:
    123 comments left to hit 1000.
    I wish this game would last forever!
    Wait… it already feels like it is.

The Eakins post game presser will be worth 2 to 300 on its own.

95. RexLibris says:

Guessing Bachman gets called up tonight.

Klefbom is probably liking the food in OKC right now.

96. OilClog says:

But how would Gazdic of changed this?

97. blainer says:

If I’m Hall I’m telling management to Trade me the hell outta here. Management is finding out just how far apart they are from competing with the Elite teams. Man if I were GM would I ever be making some big trades. Nobody would be safe including Hall. Problem is it’s too early to find a dance partner. at this point we are in for a very long season. One of Mcdavid or Eichael will be ours next year as we are definitely finishing last in the league again.

98. oilinthepeg says:

Is anyone listening to the radio broadcast?
    Are they talking about Petry or Marincin?

G Money:
    Have the commentators yet mentioned Petry or Marincin even once?

99. Gerta Rauss says:

Perron is a beauty

100. thehop says:

Not that it matters but…I have read this blog everyday for five years. I’m sure many of you have. It hurts to say goodbye but I have come to the realization that the Edmonton Oilers, and by extension this blog, are a waste of my precious time on this earth. Mr.Lowetide, you are exceptional and I wish you all the best. I hope I never have to read or hear Newagesys or Mark Spector again. I hope Taylor Hall and Yak find new homes and I hope it’s in Montreal whom I will pledge my support from now on. Fuck you Katz, Lowe, mactavish and most of all Eakins. You arrogant pricks can all eat a shit salad courtesy of the real fans of the EdmontonOilers. So long.

101. book¡je says:

I don’t think the team can recover well from this in the near future. I see them firing Eakins and I worry that he is the sanest person in the bunch.

102. RexLibris says:

book¡je:

And when it ends 7-0 they’ll say, well Dellow got that one wrong.

103. Ribs says:

I can’t believe they just put 4 10 29 19 59 out there.

104. Younger Oil says:

In all honesty, this could be the best thing to happen to the Edmonton Oilers in the past 8 years. This is the kind of game that can change things in how the team is run.

Though I fully expect the coach to blame it on injuries, and point out how the shots were still relatively close, and for Petry and Marincin to be traded for a bag of pucks tomorrow.

105. Clay says:

Man, the Oilers may actually win the shot-clock battle this game! Progress!

106. Kitchener says:

“You will keep watching the rest of the season.”

107. OilClog says:

Ted Green is all like “I’m available”

108. icecastles says:

PaperDesigner:

su_dhillon: The Eakins post game presser will be worth 2 to 300 on its own.

I’m actually anticipating a Tortorella/Sutter level of surliness. He’s not gonna want to be in front of those microphones any longer than he absolutely has to.

109. VanOil says:

delooper:
    This is all I can take for the night.I hope there’s a revelation tomorrow that makes sense to all this.

The last man to play professional hockey without a helmet was given control of a hockey team rather than given the MRI he required.

110. RexLibris says:

Younger Oil:

Honestly, I don’t think so.

I wish it would, but I’m not going to underestimate any management group’s ability to pull the wool over their own eyes.

111. Oilanderp says:

Clay,

Too bad the corgiclose stopped ticking 5 minutes or so in….

112. su_dhillon says:

I want Brad Hunt to score soooo bad.

113. LMHF#1 says:

OilClog:
    Ted Green is all like “I’m available”

Ron Low all the way man.

114. PaperDesigner says:

icecastles:

115. RexLibris says:

So, do we get a SHG to make it 7?

116. Captain's Log says:

That’s an interesting looking powerplay but what is Arcobello going to do when he receives the puck there?

He’s never facing the net so how is he a threat?

117. Younger Oil says:

OilClog:
    Ted Green is all like “I’m available”

Red Green would be a better fit at this point.

118. RexLibris says:

Games like this I really miss ES.

The background numbers really help to illustrate whether it was a bona fide blowout or just a miserable night.

119. G Money says:

Oilanderp:

Too bad the corgiclose stopped ticking 5 minutes or so in….

Funny thing is, against LA and SJ, the corgiclose has never mattered much, in the sense that the ice was tilted regardless of the score.

120. DH says:

oilinthepeg:
    Is anyone listening to the radio broadcast?
    Are they talking about Petry or Marincin?

121. Clay says:

Oilanderp:
    Clay,

Too bad the corgiclose stopped ticking 5 minutes or so in….

Babysteps…

122. LMHF#1 says:

if Eakins were smart, he’d march the team into the room, not say a damn thing until post Phoenix and hope for a better tomorrow. Either that or take the blame.

As he is not smart, he’ll likely do neither.

123. rich says:

PaperDesigner,

It’d be a really good presser if he blamed the GM as well for handing him this lineup as well.

124. icecastles says:

PaperDesigner: I hope they rake him over the coals for this one. He has to take responsibility for failing to ice the best possible line-up.

RexLibris: They’ll rationalize it as being against the defending champions with their two of their top three forwards out.

So you seriously think that Petry in the lineup would have resulted in an Oilers win. Seriously.

Jesus, guys. look at the score, and tell me that one guy was going to change the outcome of this game. Or even two guys, if we’re going to include Marincin.

125. oilinthepeg says:

Why are MSM so indifferent about this?
    Is there some conspiracy?

…ugh.

I predict no good questions even asked at the presser.

126. Gerta Rauss says:

RexLibris,

It’s bona fide Rex

bona fide

127. G Money says:

LOL, play of the game is the first goal. How appropriate.

128. One-Timer says:

I realize this is supposed to be a negative thread, but there are a couple of nice things:

Nurse is acquitting himself quite nicely in his debut. Making reasonable decisions under the LA pressure-cooker, and jumping up into the play without being reckless.

Joensuu massively improved since last season. Lively out there.

Just love Draisaitl. Subdued for now, but when he gets his sea-legs he’ll be a beauty. A lot of his plays don’t work just because his team-mates are so surprised by the unlikely passes he makes.
    Really should be in PA though…

129. TemujinBC says:

VanOil,

This needs a drink warning. My keyboard is soaked.

Tremendous.

130. Captain's Log says:

I wish just once Eakins would come out after the game and say “We sucked. We weren’t good in any respect and frankly we’re playing like a peewee team.”

But instead it’ll be more excuses and positives out of negatives. “Missing some top players, playing the defending champs, they’re a big heavy team and we need to learn how to play against that.”

NICE move by Draisaitl

131. LMHF#1 says:

Well, Yakimov just made a play.

Guess he’s #1 tomorrow.

132. Clay says:

DH: I was. Only a small mention of Petry, a housekeeping item when talking about the loss of RNH and Ebs. Nothing on Marincin. Stauffer is mostly blaming Fasth and Yakapov for this game. He is still speaking positively of Hunt and Schultz, it couldn’t be more obvious who pays his bills.

I saw Schultz sooo bad on goals 1 and 4 – standing around, waving his stick at people. Hunt with the incredibly poor pinch on goal #2. But, sure, they’re pisscutters! Thanks Stauffer!

133. tubes says:

Even the refs feel sorry for us

134. G Money says:

icecastles,

No, but that’s not the point. They both make the team better, and they could both have been on the ice. The Oilers are not in the Kings league yet, even with all four of their missing players in the lineup, and no one should expect them to be. It’s irrelevant. As long as you can make a valiant showing, and I’m certain it would have been significantly better, and perhaps a moral victory.

Instead, what we get is a demoralizing disaster.

And that’s on the decision makers.

135. icecastles says:

Eberle has been fucking invisible tonight. Clearly wants out.
    And Nuge didn’t take a single shot.
    Fucking Eakins, why didn’t he trade Brad Hunt for a #2 centre?
    (Oilers fan logic)

136. Ribs says:

Captain’s Log:

He’s never facing the net so how is he a threat?

He looks like he’s on the PK for the other team, lol.

137. LMHF#1 says:

“We need Brad Hunt to lead the charge with shots from the point when we’re six down”

“Dallas Eakins”

138. G Money says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

139. Gerta Rauss says:

ahahahahaha…..Jimi breaks the shutout

ahahahah…..

140. fuzzy muppet says:

Hah. Take that LA!

141. rich says:

Yup, even the LA Kings announcers know that the only thing Brad Hunt brings is a shot off the power play.

The GM doesn’t know this, but the LA Kings announcer does.

142. VanOil says:

Great that Hunt shoots but there is this Yak kid who is wide open and I seem to recall he can shoot too.

143. Numenius says:

Hendricks!!!!!

144. RexLibris says:

icecastles:

In fact, about 600 comments ago I said that Petry at best shaves a goal, maybe two off the total.

145. Hazwasted says:

There should be a special psychiatric fee levied by this blog for keeping us all sane during the past 8 years of masochistic indulgence.

Lowe, MacT and Eakins all need to go. The fans deserve better. The jersey deserves better.

We used to have this saying when a new employee arrived at the corporate office and he walks stridently down the hallways with his head held high, a bounce in his step and a swing in his arms. Within 6 months the corporate meat grinder had “beaten the arm swing out that guy”. Hall looks like they have beaten the swing out of him and that makes me sad.

I don’t think they could have f$&cked this train wreck up more than they have if they actually tried. They are refusing to play our best defence pair to prove they are SGITR. Justin Norris Schultz pffft!

Thanks Mr. Six Rings you may know a thing or two about winning Stanley Cups but you know nothing about running an NHL team. The Oilers a team that plays in the NHL.

Burn baby burn, don’t worry it just a small tire fire……sheesh

Goneyay with the hatty tomorrow would seem fitting

146. Clay says:

Matt Hendricks is ruining the narrative here…

147. G Money says:

Spoilers! Take that, Quick, you jerk!

I think Yakimov looked okay to be honest. The Corgi’s are going to lie like a sidewalk tonight (I haven’t looked) but he and Nurse showed some things.

149. icecastles says:

G Money,

Perhaps. But I still think we’re – goal! Screw you all, they’re in this one! Yes!
    They’d have won this if they didn’t run out of time.

150. skinny65 says:

Haha, I have quick as my goalie in a hockey pool and get 3 points for a shutout. The oilers make me watch this abortion and then pull that. Yup, sounds about right. Haha, fml!!!

151. icecastles says:

(I’m basically posting any random shit that comes into my head now. I want to see that comment count roll over to 1000)

152. Clay says:

I find Hendricks, Gordon, and Acton all being +1 on this night hilarious.

153. nycoil says:

LMHF#1,

Brad Hunt vs. Tyler Toffoli: “Gone fishin'”

154. LP says:

Hahahaha hahaha… Hendricks with the goal. Man.

Perhaps his only goal this season?

Ya this game was mostly a fire drill.

Well, hard to be optimistic about this one….

155. One-Timer says:

Even with a 5-goal win, Quick is more pissed off than any Oiler . Too funny.

156. jp says:

What?!?! Oilers shut out of the 3 stars?? Damn.

Alex Curry is cute though. There’s that.

157. Ribs says:

Schultz played over 24 minutes tonight.

158. G Money says:

There have been plenty of positives so far. They’ve been overshadowed by the enormous self-inflicted stupidity driven damage.

159. Numenius says:

I love that it wasn’t a shutout.

Some games that’s all I ask.

I’ll take it as a sign from the hockey gods that this year really will be different from last.

160. nycoil says:

skinny65:
    Haha, I have quick as my goalie in a hockey pool and get 3 points for a shutout.The oilers make me watch this abortion and then pull that.Yup, sounds about right.Haha, fml!!!

Ouch. Good thing I had Hendricks starting in mine. Oh wait…

By the way, did you really mean “abortion,” or “abomination?” Just curious.

161. rich says:

jp,

4th star of the night to MacT for sending Marincin down and running Petry out of town.

162. G Money says:

Clay,

Gordon-Hendricks have been DZ warlocks so far this year. Another of those small positives (a capable 4th line) overshadowed by Teh Dumb.

163. Kitchener says:

One-Timer:

Nurse is acquitting himself quite nicely in his debut.Making reasonable decisions under the LA pressure-cooker, and jumping up into the play without being reckless.

Joensuu massively improved since last season.Lively out there.

Just love Draisaitl.Subdued for now, but when he gets his sea-legs he’ll be a beauty.A lot of his plays don’t work just because his team-mates are so surprised by the unlikely passes he makes.
    Really should be in PA though…

Yes, positives. Now about that awful start…

164. jzed says:

Coaches on the hot seat ? Anybody got any candidates?

165. G Money says:

At least the Avs are making us Corsi types look good.

166. nycoil says:

You’d think it had been a closer game. One of those where the corgis had the best of intentions but got Old Yeller’d anyway on suspicious frothing at the mouth, which could just have been dehydration.

167. icecastles says:

jp: Alex Curry is cute though. There’s that.

Fucking terrible hair though.

168. One-Timer says:

Kitchener: Yes, positives. Now about that awful start…

Hey man, it’s all about the future.

169. RexLibris says:

Yes he did.

As did Draisaitl, all things considered.

In either case, they need to be somewhere else developing right now. Looking alright in this circus isn’t going to be good for them long-term.

The problems the Oilers have right now can be solved provided they are patient with these two and understand that the solutions are in the here but not necessarily the now.

170. Ribs says:

Ribs:
    Schultz played over 24 minutes tonight.

To put that in perspective, Doughty played 22:39.

171. icecastles says:

If you factor out the first 58 minutes, the Oilers actually played fairly well.

172. Clay says:

G Money:
    Clay,

Gordon-Hendricks have been DZ warlocks so far this year.Another of those small positives (a capable 4th line) overshadowed by Teh Dumb.

I know – sort of what I was referring to. The “good young talent” all have their tits set on fire, while the fourth line goes about its business.

173. jp says:

blainer:

Who knows what Hall is thinking. And a roster shakeup could be in order. But the Oilers haven’t actually finished last since 2010-11.

174. RISTOOOOO SILTANEN!!!! says:

Was flying in from Comox to Calgary tonight. I was hoping to catch some of the game on the plane but no TVs on this plane… still waiting on wireless. We land I check the score and see 5-0.

I’m glad there was no TV on the plane.

175. striker says:

My friends are on the apathetic train when it comes to the Oilers which is sad because we all used to love watching this team together. I still watch but I know several of them don’t anymore. Nights like this make me understand why some of them jumped off the wagon.

Never going to do that myself but tonight I’ll ask myself why not…tomorrow, I’ll be back.

Didn’t watch the 3rd…

176. icecastles says:

Ribs: Schultz played over 24 minutes tonight.

I mean… go Oilers! Yay!

Fuck.

177. skinny65 says:

nycoil,

Ohh it was an abortion. It was ugly, bloody and it ended the life of this season.

178. Kmart99 says:

Hunt and Ference shouldn’t be allowed on the ice for at least 5 games. J Schultz’ defensive game is scary bad.

Oil 2 Best dmen out. 2/3 top line out. 10 29 4 19 59 all out at the same time. Ahahahahhhahah.

Keep that gun pointed right at your feet Oil.

LA crushed in the CorgiClose. What a schooling.

179. RexLibris says:

As LT said, Corsi is going to lie because many of the Oilers’ shots were blocked, off-target, or one-and-done from a safe distance.

They never managed to create more than a few seconds of adjustment/havoc for the Kings’ defenders.

Whereas the Kings cried havoc and let slip the dogs of war to piddle on the Oilers’ defensive zone all night long, regardless of shot metrics.

180. LMHF#1 says:

i sure hope they send Leon back to PA.

That room has got to be poisonous at the moment.

181. One-Timer says:

John Scott chased a goalie tonight.

Who says the facepuncher era is over?

182. striker says:

Ribs: To put that in perspective, Doughty played 22:39.

Now that’s what I call perspective.

183. "Frank The Dog" says:

icecastles: Correction: Schultz was on the ice for over 24 minutes. How many of those he actually “played” are up for debate. Norris fucking candidate my fucking arse.

I mean… go Oilers! Yay!

Fuck.

Welcome to the fanbase 🙂

184. jp says:

icecastles,

bendelson,

Thanks. I’ll check the presser.

And heard Patrick Roy mentioned and wondered if Fasth actually was upset when he left the game.

185. AZOIL says:

Well this was a little depressing, I’m going to the game in Phx tomorrow and I will be cheering for a better result.

We need some more time before we call for coaches heads but man they need to put MM and petry out there and stabilize this D.

186. G Money says:

Ribs: To put that in perspective, Doughty played 22:39.

Norris! MacT was right!

187. Oddspell says:

On the plus side, I thought Yak2 looked pretty good out there. REALLY needs to work on his first step but I think it’s the only thing holding him back right now.

188. Younger Oil says:

jp:
    icecastles,

bendelson,

Thanks. I’ll check the presser.

I’d be disappointed if I was playing for this team in a contract year as well haha. But I believe they were saying it was a groin injury. Still could have been pissed too though, had every right to be.

189. thepeetso says:

Kmart99:
    Hunt and Ference shouldn’t be allowed on the ice for at least 5 games.J Schultz’ defensive game is scary bad.

Oil 2 Best dmen out.2/3 top line out.10 29 4 19 59 all out at the same time. Ahahahahhhahah.

Keep that gun pointed right at your feet Oil.

“No method at all,’ I murmured after a while. ‘Exactly,”

190. OilFire says:

Well, that was a terrible game. I still enjoyed watching it a whole lot more than the games last spring. At least there’s some try out there.

191. G Money says:

My comment is awaiting moderation? Have I been swearing too much? Or too little??

192. thepeetso says:

OilFire:
    Well, that was a terrible game.I still enjoyed watching it a whole lot more than the games last spring.At least there’s some try out there.

“but heavens! how that man could talk! He electrified large meetings. He had faith—don’t you see?—he had the faith. He could get himself to believe anything—anything. He would have been a splendid “leader of an extreme party.’ ‘What party?’ I asked. ‘Any party,’ answered the other. ‘He was an—an—extremist.”

193. Younger Oil says:

In other news, John Scott is outscoring our entire top line combined.

194. RexLibris says:

Heh. Flames fans are almost cheering me up about the Oilers.

Even they have stopped smirking and trolling and are actually asking what the heck is wrong.

When even your harshest, most partisan critics are silenced into reasoned examination of your problems, you’ve got problems!

195. Freëəəəəədom 95 says:

Just my 0.1%, but I made a fresh pasta with a nice mushroom cream sauce with roasted peppers during the first two periods with the game on the radio, and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

196. Numenius says:

RexLibris: http://www.despair.com/demotivators.html

If you have some time, take a look at a few.

Yeah, those are great.

Here’s one that was written with the Oilers’ rebuild in mind: “Challenges: I expected times like this – but I never thought they’d be so bad, so long, and so frequent.”

197. RexLibris says:

One-Timer:
    John Scott chased a goalie tonight.

Who says the facepuncher era is over?

“chased”

Literally or figuratively?

198. Gerta Rauss says:

G Money:
    My comment is awaiting moderation?Have I been swearing too much?Or too little??

I think the blog explodes when we hit 1000 comments

First thread to hit 1,000!

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »