CANUCKS AT OILERS G5 2014-15

When we last left our hockey club, Taylor Hall was saying ‘to hell with that noise’ and trying to hit a five-run homer. He didn’t get it done, but it’s clear he is the driving force on this team. You’ll hear people say he should get the “C” this season, but for me he’s already the straw that stirs the drink, and we’re waiting for the next man to emerge at a similar level. Hall has a point per game so far this season and is tied for 12th in goals so far in 2014-15. Imagine what he’ll do when things are going well! The Oilers badly need another name on the scoring top 20 this season.

nuge gets knocked down

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins may draw back in tonight, that would be a very good thing for Dallas Eakins and the Oilers. A lot falls into place when the Nuge returns and it looked to me as though Eberle was much better in the Arizona game.

• Hall—Nugent-Hopkins—Eberle
  • Pouliot—Draisaitl—Yakupov
  • Perron—Arcobello—Purcell
  • Hendicks—Gordon—Joensuu

That lineup was impressive when they ran together (short sample size alert) and I’d like to see it happen again tonight. The Oilers badly need a victory, it would be a very good idea to run that 1line 28:12. Get this thing turned around, dammit!

MARINCIN’S BACK?

marincin

It looks like the Oilers will recall Martin Marincin today (AHL transactions page appears to have an itchy finger) and that could mean Darnell Nurse back to junior. Nurse has shown terrific skills in his time with the Oilers, but if this is going to be another losing season why bother keeping him around? I absolutely understand the appeal of keeping him up, but another 7 games of audition may mean the season is lost altogether.

• Marincin—Petry
  • Nikitin/Nurse—Fayne (I’m still unsure of Nikitin’s health)
  • Ference—Schultz

Guessing along with Eakins in terms of defensive pairings is a lost highway this fall, but we’ll see how this rolls. I think the sense of urgency for the coach has finally arrived, and not a moment too soon. If there’s one thing I could change about these Oilers, it’s the casual pace of training camp and absolute lack of urgency in finding balance and chemistry. I’ve been saying this for over a decade, find balance in the roster opening night! Sure it won’t last because of injuries and slumps et cetera, but holy does this team give a lot away for their lollygagging decision making and indifference to a balanced roster.

DallasEakinsWhiteboardSpedUp

THE LONG KNIVES ARE OUT

Dallas Eakins is getting a lot of ink in the newspapers (best line? Terry Jones: “The goaltending is in the toilet. The defence is a disaster. And the coach is still out-thinking himself.”) and you can’t sign on to the Al Gore without running into an article that includes a deadline for the coach. Headlines like “Eakins’ job, Oilers season hinges on home stand” are a little more specific than you might have seen for Pat Quinn or Tom Renney or Ralph Krueger. Does a Mark Spector article with that title imply he knows something? Well, I’d say Spec has been around long enough to know a few things and maybe the Oilers panic two weeks into this season because they can’t have another Hunt for Red Line Report October in Edmonton.

My own feeling? I don’t think Craig MacTavish operates that way. I suspect we’ll see Marincin called up, and maybe a veteran goalie added and hopefully a center too (with Leon heading out) so they can stop these in-season auditions for crying out loud.

Fire Eakins? Why? Have you SEEN the center depth chart? I don’t think we’re close to seeing the Oilers turn over the coach. If a team keeps losing the owner/management have to make a change but I don’t think the next seven games will spell the end unless Katz steps in.

It’s more likely the Oilers make a roster move, small or significant, than anything happening with the coach.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

GARNER SMILEAt 10 this morning, it’s the Lowdown on TSN 1260. Steve Lansky will kick start the day (Big Mouth Sports, a must follow on twitter) and at 10:25 Brian King (PDO) will discuss the ghastly PDO for Edmonton and the Eskimos weekend (which could go a long way to sealing second in the West). Open line 10:45.

At 11, it’s Thomas Drance from Canucks Armky and The Score to talk Van-Edm tilt, at 11:25 Paul Almeida will serve Ben Scrivens on a platter and skewer Dallas Eakins while he’s at it. We invite Dave Jamieson into the studio at 10:45 and at noon it’s all over but the massive trade/recall/firing that happens only during Dave’s show.

See you on the radio!

LINEUP (1PM)

• Hall—Arcobello—Eberle
  • Pouliot—Draisaitl—Perron
  • Purcell—RNH—Yakupov
  • Hendricks—Gordon—Joensuu
  • Marincin-Fayne
  • Nikitin-Schultz
  • Ference-Petry
  • Scrivens

Key changes include Nuge with Yakupov and Marincin with Fayne. I hope Scrivens slept well and feels good. He is a better goalie than he’s shown.

680 Responses to "CANUCKS AT OILERS G5 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. nycoil says:

Gordies Elbow,

No, I wouldn’t bet that. But I wouldn’t have bet that September 30th, either.

2. VanOil says:

The WoodGuy Streak starts with a 2-0 shutout Stain. 11pts out of the next 6?

3. Gret99zky says:

By far the best loss of the season .

Cue the deserved better and nice things rhetoric.

4. nycoil says:

“Steve Smith”:
    I just hope this doesn’t lead to anything rash.

That’s my fear at the moment.

5. Klima's_Bucket says:

Minute left.
    Faceoff in Canucks end.
    Clean win.
    Nikitin doesn’t have his stick on the ice and the puck slides all the way into the Oilers end.
    These boneheaded errors need to cease if this team wants to ever win a game…

6. "Frank The Dog" says:

I do dislike these blathering talking heads.

7. bsmart says:

I thought the oil played a good game tonight, one bad breakdown.

8. Gerta Rauss says:

Gordies Elbow: 17th of October, and anyone want to bet that they Oilers make the playoffs?

I’ll bet whatever money Kinger owes Delooper via Steve Smith

9. bretskigretzky says:

The Edmonton Oilers aren’t good at hockey.

10. hunter1909 says:

nycoil,

Weren’t you supposed to be moving from your empty apartment? Found a new place? Hotel? Friend’s couch? Van? I don’t recommend staying with gfs in case of late night argument/kickouts lol.

11. nycoil says:

Gret99zky,

Really? I’d say they deserved to beat Calgary more than this one. Hardly any prime scoring chances. Most shots from the outside. If it weren’t for Scrivens, it’s probably a 3-0 loss without an empty netter.

12. RexLibris says:

“Steve Smith”:
    I just hope this doesn’t lead to anything rash.

Watching this team stumble for another 75 games would probably give me a rash.

13. russ99 says:

Can’t win if you don’t score.

We need a similar adjustment on offense that we saw on defense tonight.

Too much safe hockey, too many men behind the net, too much cycling leading to low percentage shots, being content to stay to the outside, rare was any space created.

14. striatic says:

Nikitin looked really bad closing out that game.

15. hunter1909 says:

nycoil: “Steve Smith”:
    I just hope this doesn’t lead to anything rash

It will. Haven’t you heard? Justin Schultz is Norris Trophy material.

16. Kitchener says:

fuzzy muppet:
    I think they have to send Draisaitl back.He does a ton of nice things but he just isn’t there skating wise.Needs to get quicker.

Of course that would require adding an actual NHL center

Agreed.

17. prairieschooner says:

No need to panic guys!
    It ‘s only 5 games

18. hunter1909 says:

RexLibris,

I’ll probably miss next game, and miss Yakupov’s upcoming hat trick.

19. Kitchener says:

hunter1909: It will. Haven’t you heard? Justin Schultz is Norris Trophy material.

I thought it was Hall that was the allstar D now. Oh no, wait, that’s Ovechkin.

20. VanOil says:

Rash = Trading Yak or Eberle to the dastardly Leaves

Reasonable ~ Chasing the Myers rumors and swapping Jultz, Gernat and 3d for a guy worthy of 27 minutes a night. Plus he will be be cheaper than Jultz next year.

Reasonable ~ Lander and a Pick for Brodziak

21. nycoil says:

hunter1909,

Yeah, I’m in a friend’s basement about 20 miles north of NYC along the Hudson River at the moment. That GF of 6 years is now an ex-GF of 2 days so definitely not going there!

All my stuff is in storage way out in New Jersey, 3 hours from here. I realized all of a sudden that all my nice clothes except for 2 suits and a couple of dress shirts are in there. All I have with me are T-shirts and such. And winter is coming. And they generally frown upon T-shirts in nice restaurants and bars around here…oops. oh well.

You may be seeing more of me in the near term until I leave this place and lose free wifi and the luxury to sit around watching Oiler games on my laptop. So you’ll have to put up with me for a bit. Ha ha.

22. hunter1909 says:

0 – 4 – 1

.100 hockey

But since they played better than the last few blowouts, it’s supposed to be ok.

23. "Frank The Dog" says:

By way of comparison look what Todd Nelson continually does with the mish mash of a continually varied roster,
    Or, look what Bylsma did with the Penguins initially.

Was tonight Eakins’ swan song?

24. RexLibris says:

prairieschooner:
    No need to panic guys!
    It ‘s only 5 games

This needs to be printed on an Oilers advent calendar counting down to trade deadline day.

Each panel could contain a little chocolate replica of Kevin Lowe holding up a Stanley Cup ring and a zen quote about patience and calm.

Huh. The Oilers are really a funny bunch. Scrivens shoots a .966 and the offense doesn’t piss a drop. Corgi’s in the 40s at home against a team that’s bubble to make the playoffs.

Well, at least Ben Scrivens had a nice rebound game. I’m still thinking they need a center.

26. RexLibris says:

VanOil:
    Rash = Trading Yak or Eberle to the dastardly Leaves

Reasonable ~ Lander and a Pick for Brodziak

I’d be alright with option #3 if it meant sending Draisaitl down to junior.

It doesn’t add offense, but the Oilers have obviously turned the page on Lander and the pick would have to be in the 6th round. It would be a salary dump by Minnesota and they would be getting an AHL level player who still has some potential.

To paraphrase: when all other alternatives have been eliminated, whatever remains, however ignominious, must be the solution.

27. hunter1909 says:

nycoil,

Read what George Orwell writes about “nice” restaurants and you shouldn’t mind avoiding them.

I don’t know what “nice” bar is.

28. pocession charge says:

“Steve Smith”:
    I just hope this doesn’t lead to anything rash.

If so, there is a corticosteroid ointment that will clear that up.

nycoil:
    hunter1909,

Ah crap, I’ve managed to miss this entire story. Sorry it happened, we’ve all been there and know it sucks. You’re welcome any time, it’s a bit of a commute but there’s a direct flight to NYC now. 🙂

30. book¡je says:

Huh indeed, your Edmonton Oilers, finding ways to lose since 1992.

31. hunter1909 says:

“Frank The Dog”: While this was a much better effort I don’t think Eakins has the ability to take them to the next level.

The W column?

32. russ99 says:

Arco didn’t have the best night either, except at the faceoff dot.

2 1/2 NHL centers…

Glad that Scrivens bounced back and the defensemen and forwards played a lot better in our zone, except for a few rare tire fire moments.

33. nycoil says:

Totally agree. Thought this might happen. They run hot and cold, can’t put together a complete game. They were outplayed tonight. Deserved the loss. Scrivens held them in.

Draisaitl can’t cut it right now. I’m sorry. He needs to be moved to 3rd line wing or sent back to junior. Nuge and Arcobello and Gordon are alright. Arco looks pretty damn good in fact. They need one more.

But hell, we’ve know they’ve needed one more since July. MacT, however, talked himself into Draisaitl as 2C long ago and he was stubborn. And now 29 GMs have him over a barrel because he allowed himself to be played into this position. Who was it that said playing checkers vs playing chess? That applies to management as well. MacT couldn’t anticipate far enough ahead to plan for these moves. We’re hearing “Check,” now. Let’s hope “Mate” doesn’t come so soon this year.

34. MenovOil says:

So Lowetide, any chance we get a draft thread before Halloween? This is officially the worst start in franchise history.

35. Lucinius says:

Oilers are on pace for a 16 point season (small sample size, obviously, but still).

Oilers are 2 points behind of their dismal start last year.

The fan in me is furious.

The gambler in me is squealing because I had the Canucks by two with $500 with the irony of getting good odds on the bet because the bookie thought it’d be by far more than two.

God damn I love/hate betting against my own team.

36. Hammers says:

Watched on TV and found it to be slow mainly due to what the Nucks are doing . Sorry guys but we got decent goalkeeping , decent but not great from the “D” but we aren’t going to win when the 4th line ends up being our best line . More effort from them than any other line . This one is on the players more than the coach . Sometimes its hard to believe what your eyes are telling you .Decent overall effort but DECENT doesn’t win games.

37. oliveoilers says:

GM of Leafs in attendance tonight. More ex-Marlies. Hooray.

38. RexLibris says:

If I recall, last year when the goaltending was horrendous everybody assumed that MacTavish was going to have to give a significant asset to address it.

That was around the time of the famous Dreger “Yakupov might not be worth Reimer” comment, I believe.

MacTavish traded a 3rd for Scrivens and rode he and Bryzgalov to the deadlline when he acquired Fasth for more depth picks.

He needs a bargain C. Someone north of Matt Stajan but south of Eric Staal because that is his price range. His assets are more or less a full range of draft picks this coming year, prospects and a UFA RHD.

My guess is that he tells Eakins to use the resources he has at hand (ie: Dellow, Ramsay, Thompson and Acton as well as the roster as it is) until the heat dies down and people stop offering 10cents on the dollar.

I think the season is going to go by the wayside and the Oilers will be picking 7th overall at best, but if they make the right decision on Draisaitl, like the did with Nurse today, things will develop.

Eakins needs to learn, the organization has to, as LT put, find those goddamned glasses that skew everything and smash the living bejeezus out of them, and then stop thinking that time, and luck, is always on their side.

39. Numenius says:

Marincin didn’t have a perfect game, but he did some nice things. Really liked the time he perfectly tied up Henrik’s stick at the net. Also liked when he cleared the puck from the open net.

40. RexLibris says:

oliveoilers:
    GM of Leafs in attendance tonight.More ex-Marlies.Hooray.

Depends on which Marlie…

41. nycoil says:

Lowetide: Ah crap, I’ve managed to miss this entire story. Sorry it happened, we’ve all been there and know it sucks. You’re welcome any time, it’s a bit of a commute but there’s a direct flight to NYC now.

Ah, it’s okay. Thank you. I’m hoping that the hardest part was the six months between losing my job and moving out (two days ago). The stress and financial pressures put on my life and relationship, the arguments, and then living in limbo under the same roof the last while knowing she wanted out, but because I’m not an asshole I didn’t kick her out (I was paying 100% of the rent these past few years).

Finally managed to close that chapter, and I may have some lapses of sadness along the way, but what I feel now is relief. My stuff is in storage (even though I may have put away too much and packed too little), I’m out of my place with all the recent bad memories, and I’m breathing fresh air among the fall leaves. I don’t know what comes next, but that’s the best part, right? Or so I hope.

Now if only my damn hockey team would win a game, life would be great!

42. hunter1909 says:

RexLibris: oliveoilers:
    GM of Leafs in attendance tonight.More ex-Marlies.Hooray.
    Depends on which Marlie…

Haven’t you heard? They’re coming to collect Eakins and take him back to the Marlies for re-evaluation.

Something about a parking lot, flux capacitor, and Christopher Lloyd.

43. book¡je says:

oliveoilers:
    GM of Leafs in attendance tonight.More ex-Marlies.Hooray.

Now might be MacT’s chance to grab David Clarkson!

44. Hammers says:

Said it last night but Leon has to go on the wing if his staying .Try it for 4 games and make a decision , up or down .Right now I would move Gordon to 2nd with Pouliot & Yak , Arco goes to 3rd with Perron & Purcell , Acton gets Joensuu & Hendricks . Sit Leon a couple of games or untill an actual decision is made ..

45. "Frank The Dog" says:

hunter1909: The W column?

I mean it was a solid effort, the D worked way better than prior, but the offense was…… flaccid. I don’t dislike Eakins, I think he has given this his best shot, but I can’t see him deploying this offensive talent in a way that we can handle the top lines of the Western teams.
    Vrbata and the sisters were just in a different class to the best we had tonight.

As I said in an earlier post, which of his predecessors did as dumb a roster move as we saw on D this week? this speaks to flawed judgement, a lack of comprehension, of basic common sense.

I no longer think it’s whether Eakins survives this. It’s only a matter of time, unless the D holds and the Offense suddenly goes supernova. Who knows.

46. oliveoilers says:

Thinking of changing my handle to Marvin. Don’t panic. Reserve #42 for McDavid.

47. Klima's_Bucket says:

nycoil,

All the best…

48. nycoil says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

Hey, thanks. Let’s go Oilers. Damn it. I hate staying up to watch losses!

49. Numenius says:

Hall was off tonight. Didn’t have the magic of last game.

50. frjohnk says:

0-5-1. Wow!
    Just wow!

Never thought that would happen.

Now Im expecting our first win to come against Carolina next Friday.
    1-7-1.

Its nothing like the 1943-44 Rangers who started the year 0-14-1. Yes, as soon as the game was done I searched “worst start in nhl history” just to see where oilers would rank.

51. "Frank The Dog" says:

I’m not angry any more. Just sad.
    Edit: It’s nowhere close to those underfunded, undersized, underpaid Oilers teams of the late 90’s who were always in with a chance, always in at least the early stages of the playoffs, most importantly, always fun to watch, Rexall was never a fun place to come and play.
    We’re not even missing that much any more, really, a #1 D and a top C, and we do have a packed pipeline.

A good coach right now could transform this team in a matter of weeks through effective deployment and tactics of most of the players we already have.

I think Nelson based on OKC can do it, and I’m sure Bylsma could do it to. Turn the team around I mean.

52. oliveoilers says:

“Frank The Dog”: uh, yeah. With at least 1 competent assistant and a better roster than any of his predecessors had to work with.

He’s out of ideas. After doing well for the first 7 minutes, Desjardins changed strategy and choked up the centre of the ice, forcing us to either cough up the puck or take low percentage shots from acute angles or though crowds. I mentally made a note of it as it’s been something that has been bugging me for a while; that Eakins is slow to adjust. We damn near didn’t make it out of the first scoreless. It seems like we now have an ethos of ‘we would have won if only we had worked harder’. We’re in trouble, boys…..

*Pessimism due to Paddock Wood Brewery, and their Loki beer, which after slamming three I have just noticed is 8.6%abv. And it’s my turn to get up with the kids.

53. rich says:

Did think they were much better in their own end tonight. Tied up sticks, picked guys up, tracked things much better than they did the last 2 games.

Thought Nuge was a bit off.

Scrivens much better except when he handled the puck behind his net.

They need a 2C though. Dry Saddle is trying but they’re asking too much of him.

Cost to find that piece now is going to be much higher because everyone knows the Oilers need that piece.

Not happy, but not as angry as after the last 2 games.

54. "Frank The Dog" says:

So Eakins is admitting to O vs d whack-a-mole.

If this was game 1 I’d actually be quite encouraged. but we’re 5 games, not 1 behind the 8th ball now. It’s like these 5 were pre-season and we still need a couple more before we’re ready to play for points.

55. iwin76 says:

I’m probably more depressed than the last few games. Atrocious goaltending, ridiculous errors, these things can’t last in the NHL. The world’s best players usually rebound to form. I’m a big fan of corsi, but I’m not sure it’s really predictive at all in samples less than 10 games.

This game was relatively well played by these players, overall, but not good enough to beat a mediocre team at home. I don’t see it changing. I’m less and less an Eakins fan, but I also don’t know that changing him would make a difference. Having just hired Ramsay, probably not the time. I wish they’d hired Nelson in the first place. Similarly, I’ve lost confidence in MacT. Watching what Nill and Snow (!) did, there are deals out there that could help this team. Nothing’s free, and the way the Oilers handle players only devalues them more. But MacT had to do better this summer and now he’s in a tougher spot.

56. iwin76 says:

rich,

Agree with your points, but as I just said, the fact that they played better with few glaring errors and still couldn’t win actually depresses me more.

57. Kmart99 says:

Those lines were worth a shot, but I liked Yak with Draisaitl better.

58. Lois Lowe says:

I didn’t think the Oilers were terrible tonight. The Canucks really slowed down the game and Oilers were limited to rush chances and a little sustained pressure. I’m not buying the corgis tonight, by my eye there wasn’t a lot of Benny Hill in the d zone. They held the opposing team to a goal, and most nights that’s enough to win.

Lois Lowe:

The Oilers weren’t horrible at all, but they also weren’t offensive enough to really threaten the game. More button down, but if you do that and don’t cash the PP chances this is the result. I thought they played better than any night since the Calgary game which makes sense since those are the home games.

60. vangolf says:

At $6 million eberle has to impact the game more. Full stop.

61. hags9k says:

Overall, not a terrible game, coulda, shoulda, woulda.

T’was a big relief to see Scrivens in there and competing like he can.

LD…is he getting around ok or is he suffering from the big man Mahovolich syndrome? I think I’ll need to see all 9 games before knowing. It would be a lot easier on all of us if we could just trade for Brodziak, Stoll, or Cogliano in the meantime…

JJ is really winning me over. Buddy is FULL throttle.

5 games in, 1 Gary point.

I want to see more:
    -Yak
    -Purcell
    -Paul Romanuk

I want less:
    -Nikitin
    -offsides
    -Sedins

Lots of hockey left, and lots of unrealized potential on this team so let’s all hang in there a little longer.

GOILERS

62. RexLibris says:

I think it was Dave Jameson I was listening to yesterday after the Arizona fiasco who said that, following the comments by Scrivens about the whole team being better, specifically Taylor Hall had to do more.

Now, I kind of like Jameson and I think he’s a guy who’s been around the sporting community more than many of us, but to say that about a player who had three points on a night and was the best Oilers player that evening, this just seemed kind of misplaced.

It didn’t sound like his usual reasoned self, more like something I’d expect out of a outside media observer who happens to check in on the Oilers five minutes before going on air to offer their “expert opinion”.

Anyway, off topic, but that had been bugging me so I wanted to mention it.

63. RexLibris says:

Positive waves time:

By the end of November the Oilers will have played the Canucks four times out of five and we won’t have to see that miserable group of ne’er do wells again until the very last game of the year, April 11th.

64. Suntory Hanzo says:

For trade…who would have more value now as is: Eberle or Yakupov?

Missed most of the games as I had a play opening tonight, but have been checking here numerous times when I’m offstage.

Sounds like Yakupov has been making his way to becoming a straw like Hall is. Hopefully soon he starts drinking the other teams milkshake.

65. OilClog says:

I’d trade Ebs, Yakupov is going to be a game changer.

I’d trade Schultz, but I’m sure the rest of the league already knows more of what he is then the Oilers.

Nikitin is terrible, just terrible, It’s Whitney without the Twitter.

Schultz all game long was looking at the skies or just slumped over lifeless after every single whistle.

Too many players on the team are having outburst of frustration after the whistle, Hall did is numerous times after the half way point. How is the coaching so bad that this never ends.. Oilers

66. Clay says:

OilClog:
    I’d trade Ebs, Yakupov is going to be a game changer.

Nikitin is terrible, just terrible, It’s Whitney without the Twitter.

I’m not a big believer in the “body language” thing – everyone has ups and downs, and shows their frustration. But with Schultz – good grief. He looks like he’s playing with the effort due a game of Sunday afternoon shinny. The slumping over, the looking-skyward, and when he inevitably loses the puck, he stands there watching as the play turns the other way instead of at least trying to get back in the play.

Yak does this, he’s a healthy scratch. Schultz? Gets to lead the team in ice time.

Blinders.

67. oilinthepeg says:

RexLibris,

Heard that too, and it bugged me a lot. Hall was outstanding in that hot mess of a game. It was spoken like someone who hadn’t actually seen him drive the play all night. Captaincy calibre performance by the young man, for sure.
    In fact, I was of the camp (maybe camping alone) that thought RNH might be the captain type, because I like his potential to be a leader… But I think Taylor Hall is on and off the ice the best choice. By far. (This is probably very obvious to most, I know)
    Anyways. Wednesday night was when it clicked for me.

Man, we need a whole lot more out of our best players right now, but Hall has been very very solid. Ebs has been really disappointing to watch (he’s my favourite player because I can’t forget the clutch WJC goals…) and RNH needs to settle his shot down like he was doing in preseason. Perron seems wasted by not playing with enough skill, maybe? All of these guys need to step up. Yak is a pleasant surprise, and although he is more of a ‘project’, he plays hard and that’s exactly what this team needs. Other impressive performances are JJ and Arco. Arco doesn’t have the finish that gags had… But he is responsible and can play a two-way game. Which I think is more important now. (24 GA in five games, though… Hmm…)

Sigh.

I’ll be in Edmonton for my first game at Rexall on Nov. 1 when the Sedins are back in town. Here’s hoping we haven’t done anything stupid by then. And let’s hope I won’t get to see Drai play… He needs to be sent down. We don’t have the luxury to shelter him as a winger on a softy it’s line. He has no business playing in the NHL right now. I think bringing up Yak2 for a look was probably just preparing for when they have to send Leon down. I still have faith that they will. The kid has some mad skill, but the skating is just not there yet. It’s very clear to see that he is just a step (or three) behind. Amazing playmaking ability, but I’ve seen him be a little too ‘cute’.

Sigh…..

Not going to pile on too much, but why did Eakins put 2 LW Pouliot and Perron on one line and then 2 RW Yak and Purcell on another?

I know that Perron and Yak play their off wings so you still had 1 of each hand on the boards, but neither line looked for shit in the ozone.

Its a bit frustrating because last night, game 5 was the first game with their optimal NHL line up and players had brand new D partners, centers and wingers.

I know the pre-season schedule was not favourable and the Oilers were forced to keep a big group here in order not to gas anyone, but the line selection and Dpair selection should have been in order to get the NHLers ready and not figure out who the best AHLers were by playing them with NHLers

This is the best team Edmonton has had since 2006 and the 0-4-1 start is very self inflicted.

I expect better (maybe even 10pts in the next 6 games *crosses fingers*) as they will have some real practice time without having to travel and they are playing the NHL roster now.

Just really frustrating the pre-season line and dpartner feel out process is happening when the games count.

As for the game, the Oilers’ offence looked immature to my eye.

Not enough hammering the puck at the net and going to the net enmasse when better plays were not available.

The had too much ozone time without bringing the corgi’s along and VAN’s D didn’t let them do shit once they got there.

Boyd Freaking Gordon and his line were by far the most effective because they forced VAN to play D, not just box out the middle of the ice and watch the forwards skate around the perimeter.

Gordon has a +3 RelCor with 10% OZS in the first 5 games.

That is unpossible.

69. PhrankLee says:

I really enjoyed watching Yak last night. After I turned my pillow over due to it’s soaking of shame tears, I thought his urgency was top notch.

He had mustard on his passes and showed, I think, acceptable defensive convictions on more than one or two solid plays in our end.

Plenty of our team would be served better with stiffer passes.

Justin Schultz is, in the words of a well missed poster, a lollygagging bastard. And MacT makes the entire organization look foolish, again, with his remarks this time about his potential.

There is a seemingly systemic organizational ignorance of the difference between efficient and lazy.
    Efficient is not doing as little as possible so you save yourself some gas for the last 15 of the 30 bloody min you get. It’s being smart, decisive, fast and in position.

This new hire Russian d-man better step up too. He looked awful. Not even saying the damn overpaid name.

70. nycoil says:

Woodguy,

Well summarized, sir.
    Saw the same thing. The Oilers didn’t generate many good chances. Their attack consisted of weak shots from the outside (Not in ricki’s box at all), or soft touch passes, drop passes, just not a very strong attack bar from one notable power move by Hall around Sbisa. Miller would freeze the puck, as he likes to do and that was all she wrote. There was not enough of hard shots directed at the net with guys in front or going to the net looking for rebounds. Miller’s night was pretty easy, really.

I also think why mix up the forward lines when they’ve been playing okay. They finally get the D “right” and then tinker up front. They really need to steal one now vs. Tampa. I think they can do it but time’s a ticking.

71. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy,

You sure don’t need my help sir but allow me to condense what you just said down to one sentence.

“Not enough real NHL talent on this team”

Take 4 – 93 – 14, 57, and 27 out of the forward equation, and you’re pretty much left with an assortment of too young + too soft, + largely disinterested, and castoff.

Purcell is a decent player but we all knew he was soft as baby poo and possessed the leadership capabilities of a girl scout.

Pouliot? How many teams now and counting?

The rest of the forwards are just filler. Yakupov is likely part of a package along with Petry and a D prospect to get some sort of middlin centre.

Sad but I think Perron will be absent from next years team and the rumored Eberle dealing could well be in play as well.

Nikitin? Really? Ference? Not! Fayne, Marincin, and Petry are the only D worth branding NHL quality. Too bad Oiler management blew their Boys on the Bus sales pitch on Schultz instead of saving it for Danny DeKeyser. Thats a real NHL D man.

MacTavish, despite the bluster has largely laid an egg while turning over 75% of the roster. Who knew that might happen huh? Maybe these are the only player types “willing” to come to Edmonton and it only happens when accompanied by too much money and too many years.

I won’t even touch on the HC choice. Every game that elapses pounds another nail into his coffin. Well done MacT. Second smartest guy in the room but hey…second most rings right?

I don’t have all the answers for sure but this team is West Africa toxic and losing is highly contagious. I feel huge for the 5 – 7 of them worthy to play and coach in the league.

72. book¡je says:

Here’s a random prediction. At some point in the next two weeks Keith Acton will be fired as associate coach.

73. RMGS says:

Woodguy:
    As for the game, the Oilers’ offence looked immature to my eye.

Gordon has a +3 RelCor with 10% OZS in the first 5 games.

There are different ways to generate offence, but the Oilers’ ‘top forwards’ should learn some lessons from that ‘fourth line.’ There’s not enough driving to the net without the puck and stopping there to generate screens and all around havoc. Eakins keeps talking about goals being scored in the red zone, but many of his skilled forwards perhaps mistake it for a venereal disease hazard. They won’t go near it.

And it’s not about size. Brendan Gallagher, Brad Marchand, David Desharnais, Zach Parise don’t need to be told twice to go to the crease.

Hmmm. Rereading my post I realize it’s rather Freudian for a Saturday morning.

74. RMGS says:

cabbiesmacker:

this team is West Africa toxic and losing is highly contagious.

75. Unicorns says:

I wonder if other teams run teams by facial grooming whims as much as the Oilers. The Oilers can achieve one thing this year and call it a success of sorts. Simply stabilize team play.

Draisaitl has the most upside of any Oiler center besides Nuge, But he’s not ready yet. It is possible to run a decent line up at C, not great but probably stable, if the BPA is used. Having a good group of wingers helps do this.

Lander is a better player than Acton. He is tentative, so this may be an opportunity to let him play that out. I’d run Nuge-Gordon-Arco- Lander. Balance the lines wisely, keep Gazdic sat mostly, let them play focusing on good execution, win or lose. With four centres that are defensively aware, develop the offensive strategy.

A base has to be built for talented players to stand on. Simply inheriting or trading for more talent won’t be enough. This is why teams like Detroit can use all kinds of AHL, old, and mediocre players with their few great ones and not be crap.

76. Pouzar says:

RMGS: Gotta love flippant and xenophobic analogies to a public health tragedy on a hockey blog.

Get off of it P.C. Police. Keerist.

77. Kmart99 says:

Woodguy:

As for the game, the Oilers’ offence looked immature to my eye.

Gordon has a +3 RelCor with 10% OZS in the first 5 games.

That is unpossible.

Corgis at 46% against VAN is just not good enough. Have to be at 50 against a team like that.
    The fourth line was the only line really going. Nuge and Yak had some good chances each, but no finish. The forward lines from games 1&2 looked great, but I understand trying Arco @ 1C and Nuge with Yak. Although Draisaitl seems to work better with Yak. Eakins has some unattractive options:
    Play Yak with Drai 15min/night
    Shelter Drai with Yak at 12min/night
    Give Yak Arco or Nuge..

Based on games 1&2, I keep the forward lines from the first two games, play Drai and Yak 15min/night, and beg MacT for a bandaid Centre so Drai can have one more year in Jr.

78. Kmart99 says:

Positives:
    DZone breakdowns were reduced
    Scrivens!
    Marincin!
    A decent chunk of Ozone time
    The FOURTH LINE!!! Man are those three good together.

Negatives:
    Hall looked out of sorts(effort was still there as usual)
    Yak corsi..
    No finish despite a decent number of dangerous chances
    Still some chaos in D Zone.
    Ebs needs to be better. Like right now.

79. RMGS says:

Pouzar: Get off of it P.C. Police. Keerist.

Gotta also love how on a hockey blog some equate calling out xenophobia with political correctness. Keep on truckin’!

« Older Comments