OILERS TOP 20 PROSPECTS: ARROWS UP AND DOWN

draisaitl khaira young starsWe’re one month away from the Top 20 Prospects (winter edition) and it’s time to begin the evaluation of each player. It’s usually pretty obvious—Leon Draisaitl good, Taylor Fedun isn’t helping AT ALL—but here are the players under consideration for the winter top 20 and how they’re dong.

The summer list is here.

1. C Leon Draisaitl—Up arrow. Made the NHL team, has two points in seven games and is playing in the world’s best league. He’ll turn 19 on Monday, probably against the Habs. Leon played his best game last night.
  2. D Darnell Nurse—Up arrow. Played his first NHL games and is now in junior where he’ll likely dominate before turning pro.
  3. D Martin Marincin—Major up arrow, but he won’t be on the December list (he’ll play his 50th NHL game next week, thus graduating from the LT list). Marincin is beginning to receive national recognition for his play. Elliotte Friedman: You can see why Vancouver wanted Martin Marincin as part of the package when the Canucks and Oilers talked Cory Schneider two years ago. To protect a one-goal lead on the final shift against Tampa Bay, Dallas Eakins put him out there with Mark Fayne, Boyd Gordon, Matt Hendricks and Jesse Joensuu as Edmonton held on. Source.
  4. D Oscar Klefbom—Up arrow. He’s 2gp, 1-1-2 in Oklahoma City and waiting for the next injury/transaction. It’s likely he’ll be in the NHL by the trade deadline and he’s certainly going to play when he gets here. He is the last of the four ‘locks’ in Edmonton’s system at this time.
  5. R Greg Chase—He is level at this time. Chase is just a shade below a point per game (9 points in 10 games) and once again not getting a lot of power-play points (just one PP point through the 10 games). Chase went 70gp, 25-31-56 at evens a year ago (.800) and is in exactly the same position this season. We’ll see how things roll over the next month but he remains a quality prospect. Curious about what they’re doing with the power play in Calgary.
  6. C Bogdan Yakimov—Up arrow. I think he’s going to end up being one of the Oilers’ NHL centers beginning next season. Edmonton has other options (Khaira, etc) but this fellow to my eye has established himself as ‘next after Leon’ among Oiler prospects.
  7. D Dillon Simpson—Up arrow. I was curious to see where he’d land—the Oilers sometimes send new pro’s to the ECHL—but he’s an AHL regular out of the box and working at establishing himself in pro hockey. I’ll have Eric Rodgers on the Lowdown this Monday and will ask about him.
  8. C Mark Arcobello—Up arrow, but he won’t be on the December list (he’ll play his 50th NHL game tomorrow night). A wonderful success story, he’s beaten long odds to get this far and I’ve long since given up on betting against him.
  9. C Marco Roy—Down arrow. He’s scoring well in the QMJHL (9gp, 4-6-10, all at even strength) but he turns 20 early in November and should dominate in junior. I’m not saying they won’t sign him or that he’s going to Trukhno, but the next few months are important for Roy.
  10. C Jujhar Khaira—Up arrow. Impressed in TC and damn near made the big club, his size is going to get him looks before a lot of the other prospects in the system. Not certain he’ll stay at center—Bogdan is ahead of him in my estimation—but if you’re thinking ‘modern Moreau’ that seems about right.
  11. D Martin Gernat—Down arrow. The Oilers sent him out early, making a point of letting the media know about his lack of conditioning. That’s Oilers code for ‘he’s drawing outside the lines and wandering the hallways during class’ and does not bode well for him inside the organization. His future outside the organization depends entirely on how he’s perceived and the conditioning item may have been noticed in other NHL cities. A tough fall so far for the young man.
  12. R Jackson Houck—Up arrow. He’s at 10gp, 5-8-13 and performing very well with the Giants. Houck’s skill and size are going to be attractive to the Oilers when he turns pro and it looks like he’ll finish junior on a high note.
  13. D William Lagesson—Up arrow. He’s 6gp, 0-4-4, which is solid for a guy whose skill set reads more defense and rugged play than offense. He’s miles away and we’re years from knowing, but Pronman liked him end of 2nd round and that puts him here.
  14. R Tyler Pitlick—Down arrow. He’s 3gp, 0-1-1 in the AHL but didn’t land a job he had a great chance at this training camp. It’s anyone guess about whether he’d be called up in case of injury, but Jesse Joensuu won the opportunity and is running with it. Pitlick is not in a good spot as a prospect, and he remains a perfect comp for Jared Knight, drafted one spot after Pitlick in 2010.
  15. L Mitch Moroz—he is flat. Moroz was sent down relatively early and hasn’t shown much so far in the AHL (2gp, 0-0-0). Early days, but there’s no real reason to move him up the list compared to Houck or Khaira. Oilers have some nice options here.
  16. D David Musil—Up arrow. Despite being -5 already in the AHL, the Oilers kept him up for a long time and I think the club likes him as a future 5-6D option. Musil’s issues have always been about skating, but I suspect they love his big defensive brain.
  17. G Zach Nagelvoort—Down arrow. Before Ben Scrivens started playing well this week in the NHL, the entire Oilers system was rife with subpar goalkeeping. Nagelvoort has been poor so far, sitting at .864 and being outplayed by his backup.
  18. L Anton Slepyshev—Up arrow. He’s playing well despite a recent downturn in production. 21gp, 3-4-7 in the KHL currently, that’s NHLE 82gp, 10-11-21 and puts him a little higher on this list come December.
  19. C Tyler Vesel—he is flat. Four games into his NCAA career, Vesel hasn’t scored but that’s probably less than one hour total ice time.
  20. G Laurent Brossoit—Down arrow. He’s playing in OKC as the starter, but an .867 SP isn’t going to get him a lot of playing time after Bachman returns. Edmonton really needs him to emerge as a legit prospect.

Among the players ranked 21-50 this summer, the following have up arrows and will be considered for the top 20:

• D Jordan Oesterle, playing well in OKC.
  • R Iiro Pakarinen, also doing good things with the Barons.
  • D Brad Hunt, won an NHL job.
  • C Kyle Platzer, really emerging this season.
  • R Steve Pinizzotto, damn near won a job with the Oilers.
  • R Andrew Miller, leads the Barons in points.
  • L Evan Campbell, who is having a huge start to his NCAA season.

38 Responses to "OILERS TOP 20 PROSPECTS: ARROWS UP AND DOWN"

1. icecastles says:

If Broissoit is starting in OKC, where does that leave RichardRandy Bachman? I believe Tuohima is their other roster goalie… was he traded/released? Or currently injured? He’s listed on the Oilers website, but not on the Barons’.

2. gcw_rocks says:

Laurent Brossoit—Down arrow. It’s anyone really surprised? Kinda shows how big the gap is between the AHL and the ECHL.

The Chase thing is weird. How can they not play him on the powerplay?

icecastles:

Bachman is in the NHL as backup until Fasth returns.

4. icecastles says:

Lowetide: Bachman is in the NHL as backup until Fasth returns.

Oh damnit, I knew that too. I think I stared at the eclipse too long. Thanks, LT. Going back to quietly hiding my stupidity now.

5. namflashback says:

How about the Vladdy Tkachev honorary watch list: http://theqmjhl.ca/roster/show/id/14985

6. Halfwise says:

So did Gernat’s lack of conditioning and his semi-younger-brother relationship with Marincin contribute to Marincin being demoted for a couple of games? If they were sending MM a message about leadership by example as well as about his responsibility for his own fitness, it would justify his very regrettable demotion a bit better.

I’m just guessing about the connection. But if management was sending a double-barreled message I bet 30 guys heard it loud and clear and will apply it next off-season.

7. John Chambers says:

Y’see, I just can’t abide the Khaira = Moreau business.

Moreau scored over 1.5 ppg in his draft year in the CHL, and was an NHL regular in his draft +3. Khaira hasn’t posted offense outside the BCHL.

I really can’t see the guy turning into anything more than a big-bodied defensive stalwart on a 4th line.

John Chambers:
    Y’see, I just can’t abide the Khaira = Moreau business.

Different era, although your point is well-taken. Khaira’s issue is going to be offense, but it’s also true that Moreau settled in as a role player immediately on arriving in pro hockey (IHL). Moreau’s junior numbers are not available to us (broken down by discipline) but I’m fairly sure he had a nice PP run that would also close the gap.

9. anonymous says:

John Chambers:
    Y’see, I just can’t abide the Khaira = Moreau business.

If I remember right Moreau played with Bonsignore his draft year. Really wanted the Oilers to snag Moreau and Bonsignore because Moreau had more points. Figured he had to be better. Around that time I realized how easy it was to get it wrong as I was sure both these players were gonna light it up.

10. RexLibris says:

Younger Oil:
    TSN’s take on Draisaitl:

Interesting information on the 9-10 game difference compared to the 39-40 game difference.

Kind of changes MacTavish’s time line.

I think he could land a more established 2C (even if it is only a proxy for the season) by game 39 to spell off Draisaitl.

I’ve been thinking about what kind of package the Oilers could put together to try and interest the Flyers in moving Couturier – and this is based solely on getting their attention, not in saying that it would necessarily be enough.

I think Eberle would have to be part of the package, after that Yakimov and maybe swapping 1st round picks might be enough to get Hextall’s attention.

Anyway, thought I’d take a stab at working out what names might be of interest for the Flyers.

11. RexLibris says:

namflashback:

4.2 shots per game.

I love this kid.

I hope Burke continues to steer the Flames’ draft board.

If Tkachev puts on a flaming C I’m going to be very, very sad.

12. Numenius says:

namflashback:

Wow, 46% shooting percentage. That may come down.

13. RexLibris says:

Numenius: Wow, 46% shooting percentage. That may come down.

Yeah, I think 35% is probably where he settles.

14. RexLibris says:

Flames up 3-0 halfway through the 2nd period.

Glencross, Stajan and Monahan.

Really taking apart the Hurricanes.

If the Oilers don’t dominate, and I use that word very specifically, the Hurricanes tomorrow I will have concerns.

Their defense is pathetic, goaltending is average, and describing the forward group as uninspiring would be a complement at this stage because I don’t think anybody would harbour enough hope in them to actually be disappointed at this stage.

15. Kitchener says:

I’ll see Tkachev play tomorrow night in Sherbrooke and will shed a tiny tear.

Was hoping to see Marco Roy while in Quebec, but alas, they’re out of town.

16. regwald says:

RexLibris: Yeah, I think 35% is probably where he settles.

Guys, the 46.7% is his playoff shooting percentage.

His current shooting percentage is 18.5%

17. RexLibris says:

regwald: Guys, the 46.7% is his playoff shooting percentage.

His current shooting percentage is 18.5%

You’re ruining the party.

😉

18. Cameron says:

RexLibris,

Carolina’s C corps right now is Riley Nash and a bunch of AHLrs. It’s ugly.

19. VanOil says:

Future Oiler Josh Bailey out with a broken hand, Future HHOF Chara out with knee injury.

20. RexLibris says:

Flames up 5-0 early in the 3rd period.

This Carolina team is absolutely atrocious.

21. Klima's_Bucket says:

RexLibris: I’ll be VERY curious to see what kind of response we see, both from the Hurricanes and the Oilers, tomorrow night.

I’m sure we’ll see a fired up Canes team and an Oilers team that thinks too highly of themselves after back to back W’s…but I hope not…

22. kinger_OIL says:

All the high draft picks that you would expect to be given the opportunity to play in the NHL from this list have/will. Only Marincin has exceeded expectations at least from a draft perspective. And Arco: lots of post-college free-agent signings get their cup of coffee in the NHL:. He’s 26, so I think the die is cast on his upside. Anything more than one regular NHL’er (as defined by LT as 250 games) from the rest of the list would be exceptional. I know Yak2 is the consensus, but who knows….This doesn’t seem to be a really strong group, when I look at other team’s prospects. Am I being too negative?

23. Lois Lowe says:

RexLibris:

That sounds a lot like the Tambellini era Oilers.

kinger_OIL:
    All the high draft picks that you would expect to be given the opportunity to play in the NHL from this list have/will.Only Marincin has exceeded expectations at least from a draft perspective.And Arco: lots of post-college free-agent signings get their cup of coffee in the NHL:.He’s 26, so I think the die is cast on his upside. Anything more than one regular NHL’er (as defined by LT as 250 games) from the rest of the list would be exceptional.I know Yak2 is the consensus, but who knows….This doesn’t seem to be a really strong group, when I look at other team’s prospects.Am I being too negative?

Seven made it from 2007

I’d say the top four will all make it, and we should expect two or three from the rest of the group to reach 200+ games. The problem is we don’t know who they’ll be.

25. fifthcartel says:

VanOil:

Hmmm, I wonder if this leads to future Bruin Jeff Petry?

26. RexLibris says:

Lois Lowe: That sounds a lot like the Tambellini era Oilers.

Yeah, there were some interesting similarities in watching tonight.

Flames exploited the cross-crease pass to great effect tonight. Left a lot of Flames’ forwards with wide-open nets.

I’ll be interested to see if the Hurricanes correct for it.

27. RexLibris says:

Cameron:
    RexLibris,

Carolina’s C corps right now is Riley Nash and a bunch of AHLrs. It’s ugly.

I mention that over at the FN thread and repeat it here.

Interestingly, Flames’ running Corsi% is 29th in the league, just ahead of Buffalo.

Results are bound to reflect some correction, but the question is when.

28. "Frank The Dog" says:

Lois Lowe: That sounds a lot like the Tambellini era Oilers.

Look no further than who’s coaching their D.

29. Gerta Rauss says:

LT

A couple days ago you suggested the maybe Leon would be better served playing junior somewhere other that Prince Albert, and wondered if the Oil Kings could acquire him. You said you were going to ask someone on your radio show…did anything come of that..? Is that something the Oilers could make happen..?

Gerta Rauss:
    LT

I asked Guy Flaming, who follows the Oilers and junior hockey closely. He thought it was possible, but the Oil Kings already have their full compliment of Euro’s so it might be a difficult deal to complete in the short term.

31. Hammers says:

If you count out Marincin & Arco I see 3 that are 100% At least 3 more at 80% another 2 at 60% with 4-5 at 50% . So after that pair I think a good shot at 6-7 in the NHL , not all with us . Leon , Nurse & Klef all as early next year then ; Yak2 , Chase & Simpson 2-3 years ; Pitlick & Musil part of trades , Houck , Slep & Gernat maybe’s or trade pieces . Time for McT to decide on some of the older ones or trade.

32. Greenberg says:

Not connected to the above, but there was a reference a couple days ago on the 1260 Lowedown show to a Lupul and Stoll trade. They were separate. We got Lupul/Smid/picks in the Pronger deal with the Ducks, and sent Stoll/Greene to LA for Visnovsky.

33. admiralmark says:

fifthcartel,

Ference for Chris Kelly.
    Deal!
    Where do I sign?
    ….*wakes up from dream*
    dammit!

34. zatch says:

Looking to the draft in a macro sense, I goot abeleive the Oilers will pick a goalie in the 2nd round, third at latest. I think the lack of a real bluechip goalie prospect is a significant hole in the pipeline. Now, goalies are voodoo obviously, but every few years I’m ok with dipping into an earleir round to look at what could be a good prospect. Mackenize Blackwood could be an option, or Daniel Vladar. Also hearing Maxim Tretiak and Matej Tomek as high ranked goalie names.

35. Numenius says:

regwald: Guys, the 46.7% is his playoff shooting percentage.

His current shooting percentage is 18.5%

Ah. My bad.

Actually, looking again, the 18.5% was last regular season. This year so far it’s 10%.

36. Zeabs93 says:

Really excited to see how Chase turns out. Best case scenario, he becomes an Eberle with a mean streak. Good Gord could we ever use that. I’m not holding my breathe for it, but I’ve got high hopes for him. Let’s go Oil!

37. simpleNewz - Lowetide.ca RSS Feed for 2014-10-24 says: