CANUCKS AT OILERS G11 2014-15

eakins75

The Oilers ripped through the first 10 games of the season at 4-5-1, and I’d say there are about 10 guys you’d want to shake hands with for their efforts during that time—and one of them is Dallas Eakins (on my list). I like the job he’s doing, and the problems on this roster lie above the coach and either have to do with a stubborn GM or what I’m (increasingly) thinking is a “controlled rebuild” in Edmonton.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER THROUGH 10 (FORWARDS)

vollman sledgehammer 14-15That’s a solid board. Your checking line is in Death Valley, your skilled men are getting the ZS push and facing the demons, the second skill line is getting good ZS and the third toughest opps and the four line is beneath still waters. That’s a good look, and as we discussed the other day the only issue is 5×5 points per 60—the Leon and Arco lines are going to need more crooked numbers. With that in mind, we saw new lines at practice Friday.

LINES (ON MY FACE)

1. Hall—Nuge—Eberle
  2. Perron—Arco—Purcell
  3. Pouliot—Leon—Yakupov
  4. Hendricks—Gordon—Joensuu

We discussed Leon and Yak getting the band back together here, and as it turns out Eakins and his merry group of deep thinkers were thinking along the same lines (and probably miles before us). Yakupov played best with Leon early and this makes complete sense, hopefully they find chem and stay together through three Stanley’s. One weird WOWY stat is Eberle without Hall (20%) and with Hall (53.2%) and smarter men than me will need to explain that (beyond small sample size).

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER THROUGH 10 (DEFENSE)

vollman d 14-15I think the period of adjustment for Fayne and Nikitin, along with the Nurse experiment and Marincin demotion, clouded our view of this group. While they do not have a Shea Weber, there are some nice defensemen here. The biggest weird notch in the graph is Fayne’s piddly TOI, but one suspects that will increase as the year rumbles along. There’s blue on the page, after a sea of red for ages. Music!

WHO IS SCORING 5X5/60 (BTN)?

1. Jordan Eberle 2.52
  11. Justin Schultz 1.01
  12. Tedd Purcell 0.99
  13. Mark Arcobello 0.92
  14. Niki Nikitin 0.91
  15. Mark Fayne 0.83
  16. Jeff Petry 0.39

Top line is scoring well, and the 4line is phenomenal considering where they start many of their shifts. Nail Yakupov’s number isn’t far from joy, if he and Leon can score that’s going to be a big damn deal. How does Eakins protect them on the road trip? Not one damn clue.

Lake Erie vs. Barons 2-15-14

Brandon Davidson was sent down to Oklahoma City yesterday, he’s had some tough injuries over the last couple of seasons but he remains a guy to cheer for as an Oiler fan. The Barons have several players performing very well and should a recall be necessary I would think names like Pakarinen, Lander, Klefbom and Pitlick would get consideration.

1. Iiro Pakarinen 6GP, 5-3-8
  16. Jujhar Khaira 5GP, 0-1-1
  17. Keith Aulie 6GP, 0-1-1
  18. Martin Marincin 1GP, 1-0-1
  19. Frans Tuohimaa 3GP, 4.22, .904
  20. Richard Bachman 1GP, 2.84 .900
  21. Laurent Brossoit 2GP, 4.07 .867

No word on Bogdan Yakimov, but the Barons play today so we’ll at least know if he’s well enough to play. This Pakarinen fellow is making some noise, ladies.

342 Responses to "CANUCKS AT OILERS G11 2014-15"

« Older Comments

Perron 1 (Draisaitl, Ference)

2. jake70 says:

Lol…Hunter went to bed, Oil equalize.

3. flyfish1168 says:

Gret99zky: Top 3 pick 2015?

Force the other players to step up.

4. striatic says:

Perron picked just the right time to get his touch back.

God I hope Hall is anything approaching “ok”.

5. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

jake70: Lol…Hunter went to bed, Oil equalize.

I just hope that there’s someone there to roll him onto his side.

6. Kitchener says:

Nuge’s brain, “I’m in charge now.”

7. jake70 says:

[]JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[]: I just hope that there’s someone there to roll him onto his side.

Nice.

8. RexLibris says:

If Hall is out, then call up Pakarinen and keep on keeping on.

The Jets lost Kane for the start of the season and struggled, the Oilers have a better forward group and goaltending than the Jets.

Hall is irreplaceable, but this team will have to find out what they can do without him if they are ever going to win a championship.

9. danny says:

Nuge and Ebs are gonna suffer without Hall. The amount of respect Halls speed gets from the opp D on the rush is incredible. Gap control is a lot more difficult when there’s a nuke aiming straight down at you.

10. Klima's_Bucket says:

We gotta keep Hunt in the lineup.
    He’s crucial to the “controlled rebuild.”

11. RexLibris says:

WoI has a 55/45 Corsi% advantage to the Oilers.

Man, this is some nice hockey to watch after years of “getting lucky enough to win in spite of how they played” entertainment.

12. admiralmark says:

No offence but if a player ever caused his own injury it’s Hall on that play. What the hell was he thinking driving to the net there? There was no space to get in there and beat the D man. He’s going to spend a lot of time on the IR if he doesnt figure shit like this out.

13. RexLibris says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    …“controlled rebuild”…

LT seems to be taking a lot of heat for that term.

How about we agree on something a little less emotionally charged, like, structured de-encumbrance?

14. nycoil says:

RexLibris:
    WoI has a 55/45 Corsi% advantage to the Oilers.

15. Pouzar says:

Good thing Gazdic is about ready to return.

33-29 53% after two periods. I like that Edmonton scored to tie it up, but this third period is going to be difficult. They’re a bad team WITH Hall, I don’t like their chances against anyone clear through to Buffalo now.

17. Marcus Oilerius says:

Soooo… what happened to Hall?

I admit, I didn’t feel like watching this game after the Nashville fiasco.

18. RexLibris says:

nycoil: Yup, but if they had Hunt in the AHL instead of Klefbom, they’d also be leading the game itself as well. If this ends as another Corsi win, actual loss, at some point these guys have to get their heads out of the sand, no?

That’s an awfully big assumption on your part.

I mean really!

Who said anything about them being in the sand?

😉

19. Klima's_Bucket says:

RexLibris: structured de-encumbrance

Sounds good. A structured de-encumbrance it will be!!

20. nycoil says:

RexLibris,

Ha ha, I was trying to be polite. 🙂

21. RexLibris says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Soooo… what happened to Hall?

I admit, I didn’t feel like watching this game after the Nashville fiasco.

Or, you know, something like that.

22. Pouzar says:

Oscar with another asst and a +3 on the night.

Klima’s_Bucket:
    We gotta keep Hunt in the lineup.
    He’s crucial to the “controlled rebuild.”

Damn straight!

24. danny says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Soooo… what happened to Hall?

I admit, I didn’t feel like watching this game after the Nashville fiasco.

He fought Derek Dorsett and hurt his knee. Looks like his rookie season is over but good news is we probably can get Adam Larsson or Nugent Hopkins in the draft.

Groundhog Day.

25. Marcus Oilerius says:

RexLibris: Demanded a trade, threw Eberle at Eakins and then skated through center ice while doing a strip tease.

Typical Taylor.

26. RexLibris says:

nycoil:
    RexLibris,

Ha ha, I was trying to be polite.

Honestly, I’m absolutely alright with them leaving Klefbom in the AHL. Like Lombardi says, let them mature in the minors and then when they are ready let them mature some more.

Hunt as a proxy for Nikitin isn’t pretty, but if it is only for one or two more games, so be it.

It sucks, but I’m a patient guy – heck, I’ve been waiting this long!

I know they could call up Klefbom during Nikitin’s injury, but they’ve done that in the past and it just never turns out well because it seems management gets a nice look at a shiny new toy and then decides to keep him even when he starts to struggle, or they ignore evidence to the contrary and send him back when he would be a clear upgrade (thinking Fedun here, as an example).

27. Kitchener says:

If Ference gets a suspension, that opens a D spot. Klefbom for 3?

28. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Damn straight!

Well that beats my straight flush, so you’ve got me there.

29. nycoil says:

Pouzar: Oscar with another asst and a +3 on the night.

Yeah, I said many times in the summer I wanted OK to start in OKC and play 25 mins a night and dominate until Christmas, but I was dead wrong. I didn’t mean for him to be down there because Brad Hunt would be on the team getting primo minutes in a tie game against a division rival.

Marcus Oilerius:
    Soooo… what happened to Hall?

I admit, I didn’t feel like watching this game after the Nashville fiasco.

31. nycoil says:

RexLibris,

Yes, see above. I am OK with Klefa dominating in OKC. I am not OK with Hunt.

32. RexLibris says:

Question for those who may recall: if Anderson went to the net like Hall did, how did he never get injured from the collisions?

33. Klima's_Bucket says:

“controlled rebuild.”
    Damn straight!

I’m in the process of pulling off a controlled rebuild with my fantasy team.
    It’s tough work but someone’s gotta do it.
    I’m using the Oilers model.
    I should be competing for championships by the 2016-17 season when I move into my new house.

34. cadooo says:

JUSTIN SCHULTZ 75
    BRAD HUNT 66.67
    ANDREW FERENCE 66.67
    JEFF PETRY 66.67
    MARK FAYNE 66.67
    MARTIN MARINCIN 66.67

Corsi/Fenwick predictions are based on the assumption that all the distributions are normal distributions. If one has an AHL defensemen making blunder after blunder, the distributions cannot be assumed to be normal, and the analytic power of Corsi/Fenwick statistics become meaningless.

36. jake70 says:

admiralmark:

I posted a couple of times in recent months that it looked like Hall had figured out for the most part how not to be a danger to himself. I notice this season so far he has put himself in harms way a couple of times. This team needs Yak’s light to go on.

37. Washingtron says:

Not crazy about this “I’m rubber you’re glue” thing Scrivens is doing. Rubber is too bouncy, man.

38. delooper says:

Ference should have broken Kassian’s jaw. Waste of a penalty.

39. nycoil says:

That’s why Oiler fans love Yak.

40. Marcus Oilerius says:

Lowetide: Drove to the net, Van d made a clean hit, knocked him off balance, leg whipped against post, Hall down, the day is ruined.

The Obligatory Oilers Fan Package has instructions for this exact situation, I believe.

41. Lucinius says:

Well done, Scrivens…. Well done.

Nice hit by Yakupov there against Sedin. Canucks score shorthanded. Tough third period for this Oiler team.

43. delooper says:

Another short-handed goal. Oilers get a lot of those against.

44. danny says:

Vegas odds on Taylor being diagnosed with a freak new injury that will be named after him?

45. RexLibris says:

Record when Scrivens plays the puck – 0-5.

*May not be actual record, but cheese and crackers it feels like it.

46. nycoil says:

Man, oh man…
    I am not sure I can take too much more, ha ha. Ben, you’re a great human being but stop playing the puck, for the love of Gord, please.

47. BeerMe says:

Scrivens with an assist!

RexLibris:

It is also dangerous for defensemen to challenge the forward, and most defensemen lacked the cajones Anderson had. Think of it as a game of chicken. And everyone knew that Anderson was never going to flinch.

49. nycoil says:

I’m going to try to not be too upset even if they lose. 8 pts on 7 game home stand is bang on what I expected all along.

However, if Hall is out for any period of time more than a game or two, 80 pts is going to look much too high.

50. danny says:

I think professor scrivens needs to be changed to inspector scrivens.

51. gcw_rocks says:

godot10: It is also dangerous for defensemen to challenge the forward, and most defensemen lacked the cajones Anderson had.Think of it as a game of chicken.And everyone knew that Anderson was never going to flinch.

Excellent description. Anderson was the right combination of crazy and Gumby to make it work.

52. admiralmark says:

RexLibris says:

Maybe Anderson knew to drive to the net when he knew he had enough to turn the corner and get in front of the goalie. Hall was basically making a beeline for the right goal post. Never had the space to get in front of the D man. i rarely disagree with Friedman but that was the epitomy of reckless.

53. SK Oiler Fan says:

Is this the real Scrivens? He reminds me of deslauriers in the last 2 games. FFS finally a great effort with some structured play and we’re back to Dubie Do 2013.

54. Pouzar says:

WTF MM

55. jzed says:

We added ‘veteran size’ so Ference could be our intimidator on the backend???? Ference and Yak with the best hits all game, shortest dudes on the ice FFS. With Hall out , cue the ofer road trip….

56. Kitchener says:

Yak #2 amongst Oiler forwards in icetime.

Klima’s_Bucket: (Quote) (Reply)

Klima’s_Bucket: I’m in the process of pulling off a controlled rebuild with my fantasy team.
    It’s tough work but someone’s gotta do it.
    I’m using the Oilers model.

I think the key is fuel. Heavy heavy fuel is required.

58. Kitchener says:

Yak’s brain, “!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

59. Gret99zky says:

godot10:
    Corsi/Fenwick predictions are based on the assumption that all the distributions are normal distributions.If one has an AHL defensemen making blunder after blunder, the distributions cannot be assumed to be normal, andthe analytic power of Corsi/Fenwick statistics become meaningless.

Analytics are a conspiracy designed to draw people’s attention away from Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, and Bruce Springsteen songs.

Is Jesse Joenssu’s development timeline a comparable for Lander?

61. Klima's_Bucket says:

Before everyone starts wondering how many games Ference is going to get check out this similar hit from Yandle the other day that resulted in the Panthers losing their leading goal scorer to a concussion but there was no penalty on the play and no suspension from the league.

62. SK Oiler Fan says:

Swap Goalers and this is a 4 1 game

63. danny says:

7 mins left. Down 3-2. I predict a steady dose of Brad and Justin.

64. nycoil says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

Ference is a repeat offender though. I would think 2 games.

65. RexLibris says:

I think the key is fuel. Heavy heavy fuel is required.

66. SK Oiler Fan says:

So this is year 2 of a Chabot coached goalie looking worse to start the season than how he ended the previous season.

67. nycoil says:

When the Oilers miss the playoffs this year, we’ll look on the three losses to the Canucks as one of the keys that unraveled the team.

68. danny says:

Empty net, why is hunt a foot outside the blue line there? Nice stop. Outside your line you fkn dumbass.

69. LMHF#1 says:

Ben Scrivens puckhandling + Brad Hunt on D = losses. Period.

70. LMHF#1 says:

danny:

Because he’s a superstar offensive D, DUH!

71. danny says:

It’d be nice to see Fasth back and Klefbom replacing a suspended Ference. IF Hall is back of course. Otherwise who the fuck cares.

Wildly disappointing night for the Oilers. They really played well without 4 and lost at least a point on a simply awful play by Ben Scrivens. that’s close to a half dozen bizarre mistakes with the puck by Scrivens, who (those moments aside) has played a pretty good goal for Edmonton.

We wait on the Hall news, but this night was poor at the outer marker, a disaster at the near one.

73. VanOil says:

At least we don’t have to play the Canucks that many more times this season. I really enjoyed the first 18 minutes. Really felt it a lost cause the last 18 minutes.

74. RexLibris says:

Oilers hire Marty Turco as goalie puck-handling coach? Just a suggestion.

75. Ice Sage says:

nycoil:
    When the Oilers miss the

nycoil:

I agree. Another playoff-less season is assured after tonight. This was a team that oilers were supposed to surpass…. such a sad, sad, sad gang of losers

76. danny says:

LMHF#1: Because he’s a superstar offensive D, DUH!

Yeah they gotta stop this experiment now. It’s over.

77. leadfarmer says:

Well if halls gone for the season were back to lotteryville,

78. nycoil says:

leadfarmer:
    Well if halls gone for the season were back to lotteryville,

Back? When did we ever leave? Especially considering every non-playoff team is now a lottery team, and this team was not going to make the playoffs even with Hall.

Edit- to be fair to others, I should clarify, this team was not a playoff team on paper, in my opinion. Others feel differently. I passed off my opinion as fact. Apologies.

79. jzed says:

So Kelly, most after hours guests are liars????

80. VanOil says:

Yakupov-Draisaitl looked good before the Hall injury as did the Arco line he left. 4 shots in a game for Yak would become a nice base line performance.

81. danny says:

A lot of praise for the Canucks on CBC. 8-3 so yeah… But they look like a non playoff team to me.

82. Gret99zky says:

leadfarmer:
    Well if halls gone for the season were back to lotteryville,

um, we never left.

Will a goaltender try to do too much when he is playing behind a mediocre AHL defensemen?

The only win with Hunt in the lineup was the fluke Montreal win, where the OIlers actually deserved to lose.

But MacT is a “genius”. The smartest man in the room. The guy who threw away a season making the most inexperienced NHL head coaching hire in a decade in the blink of an eye.

84. jake70 says:

Gret99zky: um, we never left.

Approach the outskirts and get homesick.

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 19s19 seconds ago

No excuse from Scrivens after game, said he made a mistake that cost his team the game, was extremely disappointed. Short scrum.

86. 9,998,383,750,001 says:

I knew there was a stone left unturned in Bruce’s analysis of the relative value of scoring a game-tying goal, and Scrivens provided the key.

The equivalence is that giving up a late game-untying goal is the mirror image of gaining the late game-tying goal. What Scrivens did back there didn’t benefit Vancouver (who still stood to earn 1.5 points had the tie held) so much as it hurt his own squad (the 1.5 points we were coddling in hand turned into a fat zero).

Someone hand The Professor an abacus and teach him some theorems on complementarity.

87. cadooo says:

BRAD HUNT 75
    ANDREW FERENCE 50
    JEFF PETRY 50
    MARK FAYNE 50
    MARTIN MARINCIN 50

88. jzed says:

How tall is Kassian and how tall is Ference? If Ference doesn’t hit up, is he suspended for a hit to the nuts?

89. nycoil says:

jake70: Approach the outskirts and get homesick.

I’d take approaching the outskirts right now. The closest to the outskirts we got were in the small sample size Krueger lockout year. Haven’t been even close to the outskirts since. More like Ft. McMurray (and this is no slight to there. I’m talking strictly in terms of liberal definition of outskirts).

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 6s7 seconds ago

No update on @hallsy04 from Coach Eakins. “It’s obviously going to be a huge hole when that young man leaves your lineup.”

91. flyfish1168 says:

If for the next game Hall and Ference is out I would like to see Klefblom and Pakarinen called up.

I would also suggest replacing Hunt with Oesterle since we are experimenting.

Rob Tychkowski ‏@Sun_Tychkowski 26s27 seconds ago

“No update on Taylor so don’t bother asking” – Eakins on Hall

93. jzed says:

Call up the Finn and Klefbom, maybe Bachmann if Scrivens won’t sign a non puck handling agreement .

94. danny says:

Tyler, if you’re out there…. somewhere… somehow… Please please make a compelling argument against Hunt that your employers understand. Take note, it seems logic may not be the best approach.

95. book¡je says:

Can we stop with the “Taylor Hall did it to himself…” comments.

Yeah, I guess he could have been sitting on the couch sharing your kids Halloween candy with you, but he was a bit busy playing NHL hockey.

Lots of aggressive NHL players would try to make that play. Most of the time they don’t get hurt.

Let’s not try to make it out like Hall was being Kamikaze there.

96. nycoil says:

Oilers’ playoff probability at 17.9%, 5th last. At least it’s better than last year at this time.

97. jzed says:

Dorsett and Sestito , Jesus , …

Goodnight

98. Магия 10 says:

RexLibris: Klima’s_Bucket:
    …“controlled rebuild”…
    LT seems to be taking a lot of heat for that term

If LT wanted us to think of controlled burns I’m thinking Cerro Grande.

99. Adam Wu says:

danny:
    Hall walked out without crutches

I saw the shot on TV when he went to the dressing room. He wasn’t limping. And the impact with the post looked to be more in the hip region rather than the leg…

100. admiralmark says:

book¡je:
    Can we stop with the “Taylor Hall did it to himself…”comments.

Let’s not try to make it out like Hall was being Kamikaze there.

It’s a matter of opinion. But considering the position Tanev had on Hall there was no reason for him to think driving to the net was going to be anything other then a collision with unknown results. That was the epitome of a Kamikaze move. I know its part of tha fabric that makes him good. But I cant help but think he will spend loads of time in his career on the IR if he continues to think that way.

101. Hammers says:

Accept that Scrivens gave up 2 juicy rebounds for goals and a bad goal . Also Klefbom comes up when Ference gets his 3 game suspension . Parkarinen gets to come up with Hall gone for 4-5 games . We kick Vancouver’s ass in football but let this game slip through there fingers . From Happy at 7p.m. to bloody sick at 10p.m.

godot10: Eakins has benched Petry twice.Actions speak louder than words.

103. stevezie says:

godot10,

Blaming Hunt for Scrivens’ mistake is really creative and pretty funny. I officially couldn’t tell the difference between your posts and a parody of your posts.

Officially.

104. SwedishPoster says:

Game got real scrambly after Hall went down. Pretty good game before that. Lines were more in sync with the center swap.
    Draisaitl is starting to look real good, he has an amazing ability to control the puck off bad passes. You can just throw it into his skates and he gets control of the puck right away, with his head up, insane, I guess playing with limited teammates in Germany and PA has its benefits.
    Yak had a game where he rarely had the puck on his stick under control but still managed 4 shots and a huge hit, that’s how his so-so games need to look like. Once he finds his confidence and mojo I think he’ll break out big time, keep him with Drai, Hall out or not. Him with Ebs and RNH looked awful.

Ference and Petry pretty much had their best games of the season. I know this is a place for Petry worshipping but I think Petry’s been pretty mediocre so far but last night he was on. Pretty much our best player on the night. Much better gap control than the Nashville game.

Another one of this blogs favourites, Marincin, is fighting it a bit. Fayne bails him out at times and his reactionary time with the puck looks slow.
    Hunt is really trying but he just isn’t quick enough on his feet or in his head to keep up. Schultz keeps playing weil imo but he likely has wet dreams about Nikitin returning.

Scrivens with at least one bad rebound and an awful brain cramp to lose us the game. A little to many of those so far. Crazy save on the Sedin 2 on 1.

Team as a whole did a great job containing the Sedins.

The boys are just clawing and clawing but can’t quite find the groove. I hope we can find it quickly before this season goes out of hand but I honestly believe we are better than our record so far. The even distribution of ice time should pay dividends at the tail of the season so if we can stay in it until the back half of the year I think we have a chance. I also think both Drai and Yak will continue to improve on the year.

Bruce’s grade and write up for Hunt is pretty spot on:

#59 Brad Hunt, 1. Renowned for his big shot, he let fly exactly once all night, firing a foot wide on a golden chance from the slot on a first period PP. Struggled mightily in his own zone, making key mistakes on the first two Canucks goals. Got slaughtered on the shot clock (5 for, 11 against) despite getting an offensive zone push and generally lining up against the weakest opponents. His 19:30 TOI was more than any Oiler defender other than his partner Schultz, not the first time Oil fans have been left scratching their heads.

I understand wanting Klef to play as much as possible in the AHL to get “over ripe”, but that situation is best when the player isn’t better than the NHL options and I still contend he’s probably the 2nd best LHD in the entire Oilers’s system right now.

Not having him up here could be costing the Oilers wins.

Its certainly costing them shot attempts against.

FREE KLEFBOM!

Take Hunt to a farm outside the city where he can run and play with other AHL Dmen.

106. flyfish1168 says:

We need some else that can pick the team up and drive the play. Yak appears to have that potential but that need to start to show now.

107. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy,

If Nikitin is healthy, then it’s fine to have Klefbom down on the farm, but it’s not like Klefbom hasn’t played in the NHL and would be hurt by having some games with the big club. I didn’t mind seeing Hunt get a chance, but it’s time to end it. It’s a real head-scratcher.

theres oil in virginia:
    Woodguy,

If Nikitin is healthy, then it’s fine to have Klefbom down on the farm, but it’s not like Klefbom hasn’t played in the NHL and would be hurt by having some games with the big club.I didn’t mind seeing Hunt get a chance, but it’s time to end it.It’s a real head-scratcher.

I think if Nikitin was on the IR we’d see Klef in 2 seconds.

Problem is that Nik is day to day so they are stuck with Hunt.

If Ferrence gets a suspension Klef comes up and may not leave again.

109. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy,

I see, roster size issues. Still, I’m not sure why you don’t just send Hunt down and bring up Klefbom. When Nikitin is fully healthy, then send Klefbom back down (if you must) and bring Hunt back up to fetch popcorn and play in a pinch. Or hell, just IR Nikitin. He’s obviously been dealing with injury all season. Let the man get healthy.

110. wintoon says:

I certainly agree with those posters questioning the use of Hunt ahead of Klefbom. I believe that Klefbom is old enough and mature enough to withstand the transition from the AHL to the NHL.

The concern that I have is that Scrivens seems to be totally clueless with his puck handling. By my eye, I believe he has given up or directly contributed to 5 goals against so far this year. Not only have the goals been at critical times in the game but they have had an immense impact on the Oilers momentum. Scrivens has played at an acceptable level when he remains in the net. That entire picture changes when he tries to play like a D man.

Eakins should put a leash on him, insist he stay in his crease and give him electric shock treatment if he doesn’t.

theres oil in virginia:
    Woodguy,

I see, roster size issues.Still, I’m not sure why you don’t just send Hunt down and bring up Klefbom.When Nikitin is fully healthy, then send Klefbom back down (if you must) and bring Hunt back up to fetch popcorn and play in a pinch.Or hell, just IR Nikitin.He’s obviously been dealing with injury all season.Let the man get healthy.

That’s far too obvious.

Smartest men in the room abhor the obvious.

112. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: “Play our best players? No! That’s just what they’d expect us to do. Mu ha ha ha”

Ha!

Okay, but then consider this: Last year they played Fraser (FFFFS) for way too many games. This year they’re playing Hunt for way too many games. Both AHL defensemen, but very different player types. (One doesn’t actually play hockey, the other just isn’t quite good enough for the NHL.) Progress, no?

Cool score adjusted Fenwick graph.

If we consider each section a tier then the Oilers are no longer a 4th tier hockey team, but a 3rd tier!

Ha!

Note that BUF is so bad they aren’t on the graph.

114. flyfish1168 says:

wintoon:

totally agree with your comments about Ben. i feel for the guy but he needs to learn to make the simple play. He is a smart man so time to use that grey matter better.

the problem with playing Hunt and Schultz together is neither one is effective in breaking up a cycle down low or win battles in front of our own net. We need Klefblom now and another d-man to do these dirty jobs.

theres oil in virginia: Ha!

Okay, but then consider this: Last year they played Fraser (FFFFS) for way too many games.This year they’re playing Hunt for way too many games.Both AHL defensemen, but very different player types.(One doesn’t actually play hockey, the other just isn’t quite good enough for the NHL.)Progress, no?

Both are idiotic moves.

I’d actually argue that Fraser was less stupid as the season was lost and they were taking the player out for a test drive.

MacT talking himself into Hunt on the roster is awful and he needs to realize this and start giving Eakins the best roster he can.

The season will be lost by the end of Nov if he doesn’t.

Of course it might be lost by then even if he does, but if you go down it has to be swinging and not looking at a pitch.

116. Pouzar says:

I know this is “the most popular player is the backup QB” syndrome but Keith Aulie couldn’t be possibly worse that Hunt. As RTB shows with his work he is a decent box defender. If a 7th dman is going to get big ozone starts and still play mostly in the dzone he may as well be able to defend.

117. "Frank The Dog" says:

Our team, healthy and with the Best Players available on this roster playing at the top of their current level of skill and experience, are almost capable of staying within a Bettman point of a Western team.
    That is not the case with Hunt playing over Klefbom, nor with Scrivens mishandling the puck.
    Is Scrivens the fault of Scrivens or of poor Goalie coaching by the sole remnant of the nightmare assistants?

118. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: No.

Both are idiotic moves.

The season will be lost by the end of Nov if he doesn’t.

Yes, but, you see, if they keep playing Hunt, and the season is lost quickly, then it won’t look so stupid that they keep playing him, because, you see, “the season is lost, so we need to see what we’ve got here”. So, you see, they’re actually being really smart by continuing to play him now. You see?

theres oil in virginia: Yes, but, you see, if they keep playing Hunt, and the season is lost quickly, then it won’t look so stupid that they keep playing him, because, you see, “the season is lost, so we need to see what we’ve got here”.So, you see, they’re actually being really smart by continuing to play him now.You see?

It isn’t that complicated.

MacT has convinced himself that Hunt is a player and someone needs to point out the obvious to him.

120. jake70 says:

Just replayed the first goal by Van. All 5 Oilers basically in a horizontal line in and around Scrivens, all looking toward the puck/endboards. Please tell me that formation isn’t from coaching instruction. Players don’t quite trust each other or their goalie yet.

LT, I would suggest in your blogs when you put up charts of statistics (traditional, advanced..whatever) you might want to consider generating 2 charts….one for Oiler players vs. entire league, one vs. West teams only. Record now 0-6-1 against the west. Future playoffs will depend on wins vs. the west.

I hate goal based metrics in small samples because luck makes them useless.

That said, this one is worth note because of the TOI Hunt gets with Jultz when the Oilers are down by a goal or more.

Hunt has played 93:28min of 5v5 TOI in his 6 games.

During that time the Oilers have scored 0 goals.

He’s oh-fer 93 minutes.

Glad he’s getting so much ice time when they need a goal.

jake70,

So every time they didn’t do that they were ignoring their coaching?

123. sliderule says:

“Frank The Dog”:

He might not be that good a goalie coach but he must be a fantastic scout.

I would say in our stable of goalies he has been instrumental in drafting or signing almost all of them.

124. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: It isn’t that complicated.

Yeah, I know. I’m just being jocular. It’s how I avoid murder.

From Brad Hunt’s wiki page:

Undrafted out of college, Hunt signed an amateur tryout contract with the American Hockey League’s (AHL) Chicago Wolves, where his first head coach was Craig MacTavish.

Somebody around here (nobody important I’m sure) says something about the new GM favoring his own players…

125. admiralmark says:

Woodguy: It isn’t that complicated.

theres oil in virginia: Yeah, I know.I’m just being jocular.It’s how I avoid murder.

From Brad Hunt’s wiki page:

Yup, we knew that Hunt was a MacT signing.

He loves “his guys”

admiralmark: Evidence is mounting that MacT is a poor assessor of his own talent. Particularly the D men. Not his forte.

Agreed.

Maybe I’ll put that on the rented sign in front of the Kingsway bunker.

128. RexLibris says:

Columbus has lost five in a row and is seeing their season slowly get away from them.

I know we’ve talked about a Columbus/Edmonton trade for a C as a possibility in the past.

Maybe now both teams start looking at trying to find a mutually beneficial deal?

129. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: Yup, we knew that Hunt was a MacT signing.

He loves “his guys”

So, I’ll switch to the defense for just a moment. Hunt is a player, he’s got a hell of a shot, and he’s almost good enough to be in the NHL. Giving him a shot isn’t the worst thing to do.

Okay, back to the prosecution. If Hunt has potential, but clearly isn’t ready yet for the NHL (I’m not saying he ever will be, just giving the benefit of the doubt for a moment), then he needs to be sheltered by being played in the AHL, for now. What I don’t get is that MacT is clearly high on Klefbom, but he’s in the AHL being sheltered.

130. flyfish1168 says:

I believe you can throw in our pro scouting department Howson and Eakins too. Howson suppose to have inside track on Blue Jackets and we get really a player they were trying to get rid of. Eakins brings us how many former Marlies and yet Colbourne goes to the flames for a 4th rounder. Sutter brings us Smithson wow (??) Lots of blame to go around.

RexLibris:

Dubinksy, Anisimov and Jenner all on IR.

We’d want a C from them, but they can’t spare any right now.

132. Marc says:

Just finished watching the game.

Rivalry day didn’t go so well at Casa Marc.

Sigh.

133. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Dubinksy, Anisimov and Jenner all on IR.

We’d want a C from them, but they can’t spare any right now.

I saw that. Like Carolina, it explains the losses, and suggests that both teams might actually be better than the Oilers.

We could trade them Arcobello.

😉

134. "Frank The Dog" says:

sliderule: He might not be that good a goalie coach but he must be a fantastic scout.

That would add a dimension that I wasn’t aware of. My prior comment was based mostly on Barry Trotz’s comment regarding the coaching Dubs had received, sohopefully we can fix Scriven’s wandering ways.
    I don’t think he should never leave the net, just be more conservative about it.

135. RexLibris says:

Looking over the standings, some shot data, and the state of the roster (few serious injuries to this point) this morning and I’m beginning to wonder if this season continues on its current trajectory – will this year be my breaking point?

stevezie:
    godot10,

Officially.

Scrivens is trying to do TOO MUCH because he doesn’t have a complete NHL defense in front of him. He has sucked with Hunt in the lineup, and been great without him.

Woodguy: So ignore his most recent actions and bring up one from earlier this year and last year.

Eakins benched Petry two weeks ago. His actions have not changed. Only his rhetoric. And we know Eakins’s rhetoric is mostly B.S. self-promotion.

Woodguy: I think if Nikitin was on the IR we’d see Klef in 2 seconds.

Problem is that Nik is day to day so they are stuck with Hunt.

If Ferrence gets a suspension Klef comes up and may not leave again.

Points in October don’t matter to Lowe and MacT. They are living in the past. They believe they will be touched by the hand of God again like they were in 2006 when they managed to sneak into the playoffs after playing to the trade deadline without a goaltender.

theres oil in virginia: So, I’ll switch to the defense for just a moment.Hunt is a player, he’s got a hell of a shot, and he’s almost good enough to be in the NHL.Giving him a shot isn’t the worst thing to do.

Brad Hunt got the softest minutes on the OKC defense last year. Nelson used him exclusively as an offensive D in the AHL. Fedun and a rookie Musil and Klefbom were Nelson’s defensive minutes guys. Brad Hunt is a NHL power play specialist who should only be in the NHL whenwhen Justin Schultz is hurt.

« Older Comments