OILERS AT SABRES G14 2014-15

yakupov common

That second period last night was a wonderful thing. The Edmonton Oilers, on the road, were quality against a good (but banged up) Boston Bruins team. They scored early in the third, and then someone let the dogs out and that’s all she wrote. For fans, that 20 minutes (second period) represented hope, turning north, a nipple slip and a come hither smile on a Friday night, the demon rye, rock and roll, legs for days. Music! For 20, then back to your regularly scheduled programming.

CURRENT STANDINGS

oilers standings

ONE YEAR AGO

OILERS STANDINGS 13-14

Pretty close, no? The kicker: A year ago, the Oilers home/road ratio (4 home/9 away) was more severe than this year (8 home/5 away). Which brings us to today’s question: Are the Oilers better? I think they are. And you’re saying blasphemy! Burn him! Settle down, have another coffee and let’s chat. The Corgi’s are barking, and say the team is heading in an interesting direction.

WAR ON ICE CORSI % BY YEAR

waronice corsi by seasonEarly days but there’s some nice stuff here (via War-on-Ice) and this suggests a turn north is nigh. Why isn’t it showing up in the won-loss record yet? Well, honestly, the goaltending has been inconsistent again to start the year and the defense is wobbly—meaning execution, which at this point I’d vote in favor of in several situations. But the numbers are there ladies, and I think it would be a damn shame to shiv the coach now. Seriously. And the PDO is going to come around, at least a little.

THEN A TRADE?

• Cliff Fletcher ages ago: “Montreal Canadiens’ philosophy on trades, going way back, is if you’re getting the best player in the deal don’t worry about the sum of the bit parts thrown in. so the key is to get the best player. “

No one loves trades more than me, but the Oilers aren’t going to get an even trade today. I think they could help themselves with a veteran center, and would love to see a 25-minute a night defender come this way, but both are a distant bell. What would Sam Pollock do? Plunder, but that’s not available now. I do think the Oilers need to make a hockey trade, and that means trading a Marincin or a Klefbom or a Perron. This team badly needs a push and this city cannot keep it together for another winter of losing. At some point, someone is going to buy a “Got McDavid?” billboard that can be seen from the offices on Kingsway, and that’ll be the story of the season (and for God’s sakes DON’T do that, please).

LET IT BLEED

mc79Tyler Dellow tweeted that out fall 2013, and I think it applies today (it is here).  And then this in December:

mc79tweet

I don’t like what’s happening here, because losing causes rage and losing also inspires change, and in this case that doesn’t appear to be the right call. I understand Dallas Eakins isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but that’s not the vital item. Personality isn’t important in this case, we’re not choosing a son-in-law here, ladies. What IS important? Turning north, which comes via:

• improving the possession game
  • players performing at expected levels.

War-On-Ice tells me this morning that the Edmonton Oilers’ CorsiClose 5×5 is 49.92% idling in the driveway. Blood pressure is a little high, but the timing is better and the engine is running cool. The tank is full, the highway is waiting and adding one important piece (veteran C) may allow a ‘take it to the limit’ power drive through Christmas and into the new year. We wait.

YOU’LL NEVER WALK ALONE

oilers d-lineYears ago, I was in a sales seminar. If you’re in media sales with a big company, you’ve done dozens of them. Usually you can take one or two things from them, and honestly they have value, but there’s just so damn much packed into a three-day period most of it becomes waste. Anyway, one time I was in a room with 20 respected colleagues and the instructor stated she would divide us into categories based on personalities: Driver, Expressive, Amiable and Analytical.

I knew I was dead as soon as she told us what she was doing. Because, even though we all have two (or more) parts of those four categories, the dominant one is obvious. So, the instructor asked the drivers to walk over to one corner, and more than half the room did just that thing. Next, the expressive group and they numbered three or four. Analytical types? Again three or four. Which left me and the instructor, and the instructor was a driver.

Now, you may think I was uncomfortable, but I was among friends and it made no difference to me. I knew what I was, knew I was different—hell growing up Jehovah’s Witness has made me different in just about every room I’ve ever been in! I’ve not only gotten used to it, I’m comfortable in that situation, or at least when I’m with people I know.

Anyway, the point of my story is this: IF the Edmonton Oilers’ management believes in the analytics, believe in Dallas Eakins, then they should continue to go down this path. As wonky as games like last night (and photo’s like the one above) may appear, being different doesn’t necessarily mean being incapable. However, and I’ve railed on this since summer, you have to give your people the best chance to succeed.

In the Oilers case, that isn’t a seminar, it’s a veteran center. A veteran NHL center who can play in a platoon with Leon and Arco and cover when injuries occur. Craig MacTavish needs to get that done now, today, in order to give his unusual team the best chance. And if it fails, it fails. Not every innovation is going to become a household need, and not every amiable in a sales department is going to make a living.

One more veteran pivot up front, I maintain it will make a world of difference. Building up the middle is a central theme in sports for a reason. The Oilers owe it to their fans, to their team, to Dallas Eakins, to give this every chance to succeed. In this century, the Edmonton Oilers have had balance, true balance, from the trade deadline 2006 through SCF that year. These men, the ones who wear the orange and blue, they are worthy of the investment. It is time to turn north, and await the beautiful spring.

BUFFALO

No idea. They could win 7-1 or lose 7-1. I hope Nuge slept well, he was a man out there last night. Jeff Petry too, he is such a good hockey player. If the Oilers lose tonight? Well, the pressure just gets more difficult for management and the team. I hope Craig MacTavish is reading these stats and seeing good things, and I sincerely hope he’s going to do the right thing and gift this team and this city an actual NHL center.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

margret5

At 10 this morning, TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• 10:05 Steve Lansky, Bigmouth Sports. Oilers, Leafs, maybe some Jays too.
  • 10:25 Brian King, NonStop Sports Picks and inventor of PDO. Eskimos, maybe an Oilers question, too.
  • 11:00 Jeff Chapman, Copper and Blue. Breakdown of last night, how do they turn north, best show tunes.
  • 11:25 Open line. Your opinion. 10-1260, and Lowetide_ plus the comments section here.
  • 11:40 Dave Jamieson, CFL, NFL, Oilers, yadda yadda.

Same bat time, same bat channel.

460 Responses to "OILERS AT SABRES G14 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. dawgtoy says:

Scheduled loss night was a win. I think that’s all that needs to be said.

5-8-1 now, 3-9-2 after 14 a year ago. A little daylight. Good for Fasth too, getting a win and playing well.

3. Adam Wu says:

You know, when it comes to a single inexplicable unexpected defensive miscue that results in an event that negates for a team an entire game of good play, Oilers history already has the quintessential example. The most egregious error on the biggest stage, with the greatest cost imaginable.

And it isn’t necessarily fair since the player involved was a good player, but how could we not mention it?

Steve Smith

4. gcw_rocks says:

And Tim Murray breathes a sigh of relief.

He had to be thinking, “how fucking bad do I have to make this roster to slip lower than the Oilers?

5. RexLibris says:

Media post-game narrative: what did the Oilers do differently to close out a win tonight that they couldn’t last night?

Answer: play the Sabres instead of the Bruins.

6. G Money says:

I know exactly what you mean!!!

7. RexLibris says:

gcw_rocks:
    And Tim Murray breathes a sigh of relief.

He had to be thinking,“howfucking bad do I have to make this roster to slip lower than the Oilers?

Pretty bad, Tim. Pretty bad.

8. RexLibris says:

CBJ and CAR in OT.

Buffalo gets the clear draft win tonight.

9. gcw_rocks says:

RexLibris:

Answer: play the Sabres instead of the Bruins.

*clap clap*

10. Adam Wu says:

dawgtoy:
    Scheduled loss night was a win. I think that’s all that needs to be said.

Could the Oil be in the process of ceding that title to Buffalo?

Would that count as progress?

11. Adam Wu says:

Bag of Pucks: Isn’t that the Staples metric?

Some absolutely stellar posts here today btw. Ironic that the worst of the team brings out the best in its fans.

As has been said, it is misery that inspires the greatest art.

If the team ever starts winning I think most of us will be too giddy with ecstatic joy to post strings of coherent words longer than 4.

12. VanOil says:

Adam Wu:

Steve Smith

As the creator of WTF/60 the naming rights are all yours. And definitely Mr. Smith’s blunder was the ultimate WTF/60 moment but SS/60 might get you banned from hockey if it is misinterpreted.

13. gcw_rocks says:

Adam Wu: You know that old joke that used to circulate about the Oilers are the perfect cure for whatever ails any struggling team or player?

Could the Oil be in the process of ceding that title to Buffalo?

Would that count as progress?

Of course, the Sabres are trying to lose. The oilers?

14. Ice Sage says:

A gutsy, never say die comeback win for the indefatigable Oilers. It’s the start of another winning run… playoffs baby yeah!!!!

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 7s7 seconds ago

“(The win) is important for our room. The points are for the guys in the room. They understand the process and where we’re going.” – Eakins

16. G Money says:

I can’t give them much credit for the win, given that it was a close one against the worst team in the league by a wide margin.

But I do give them credit for not folding after going down 2-1. That would have been easy to do given the third game in four nights effect.

17. "Frank The Dog" says:

Do this against Boston, or Nashville, or Calgary, or Vancouver, and I’m listening. We deserve better. These players deserve better. Even the Assistants deserve better!

18. "Frank The Dog" says:

So good night folks, lots of time left to make a night of it.

19. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: Fayne with Aulie scares me.

Fayne-Aulie +3

Scary good!

As is this:

steady choice of my mother in law’s doctor friends.

Re: Paper fiat debt money vs. digital fiat debt money.

It doesn’t really doesn’t matter to the REAL criminals, the banksters, .1%ers, the oligarchs who rule the world.

As we have seen in the aftermath of the global economic crisis (which they caused and were bailed out for and where none of the guilty were prosecuted), they will use financiai repression to steal without anyone even noticing.

0% interest rates on deposits (which penalizes savers and devastates your pension funds), and quantitative easing, which inflates the value of financial assets, but does nothing for the real economy (or wages). Digital money will facilitate a new method of theft, negative interest rates.

No form of fiat debt money is safe from theft by the powers-that-be (i.e. the bankster and oligarchic classes).

Woodguy: If BUF wasn’t so awful I’d bet against the Oilers, but you can’t.

BUF is in a different universe of bad.

I never bet on a team that is playing their 3rd in 4 nights and 2nd of back to back, but I bet on the Oilers tonight because Buffalo.

BOOOYA!

Aulie also failed the “don’t take dumbass penalties” in two games straight.

He’s gone tomorrow as Ference is back.

I’m actually hopeful Eakins will stop trolling me and put together optimal pairs vs. the Rags on Sunday.

rickithebear: Fayne-Aulie +3

Scary good!

As is this:

steady choice of my mother in law’s doctor friends.

Aulie was bloody awful.

Full stop.

Eberle the snooze.

Just didn’t pay attention much tonight.

At $6MM/yr you’d think he could afford it.

25. Adam Wu says:

VanOil: http://www.frogspad.ca/?p=577

We also may need to save Smith’s name for some future fancy stat that involves assistant coaching.

26. VanOil says:

rickithebear: As is this:
    steady choice of my mother in law’s doctor friends.

I enjoy Glenora Whiskey I find it a nice afternoon tipple like Dalwhinnie. It is very similar to Dalwhinnie and that is a good thing. The scarcity and crazy price of Glenora (even in Cape Breton) puts me off. The sin & cheese taxes in Canada really crimp my commitment to living here. I can watch the Oilers lose from anywhere.

Pouzar:
    Purcell has a pretty high offensive IQ

He had the first assist on many, many of Stamkos’ goals.

He can pass.

Shoot? Not so much.

Love for Yak to play LW to his RW.

28. theres oil in virginia says:

I’ve been in Washington DC (home of Bohologo, I believe) doing field work for the last two days. I heard on the radio earlier tonight that the boys were down 2-1 in the 3rd, and I just shook my head and started having thoughts reminiscent to many of the posts here. I just got back home and was happy to see they pulled one out. It was getting brutal. Great job boys!

dawgtoy:
    Scheduled loss night was a win. I think that’s all that needs to be said.

Truth.

3rd in 4 nights and 2nd of B2B has a winning percentage of about 22%.

Thank Gord is was BUF.

RexLibris:
    CBJ and CAR in OT.

Buffalo gets the clear draft win tonight.

CAR is way better than their record.

Its going to be BUF going away for 30th.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 7s7 seconds ago

PROCESS!

DRINK!

godot10:
    Re: Paper fiat debt money vs. digital fiat debt money.

0% interest rates on deposits (which penalizes savers and devastates your pension funds), and quantitative easing, which inflates the value of financial assets, but does nothing for the real economy (or wages).Digital money will facilitate a new method of theft, negative interest rates.

The moneychangers are currently in charge.Paper vs. digital.It does not matter.

You are the sunshine of my life
    That’s why I’ll always be around,
    You are the apple of my eye,
    Forever you’ll stay in my heart

33. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Truth.

3rd in 4 nights and 2nd of B2B has a winning percentage of about 22%.

Thank Gord is was BUF.

Your back to back 22% vs the Sabres .20 win%.

Clearly meant to be a victory with a narrow margin.

#doingthefancystats

34. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: CAR is way better than their record.

Its going to be BUF going away for 30th.

Yeah, we’re agreed on CAR.

As noted previously, they have nice numbers underneath it all, but need some talent to execute.

It all hinges on Karmanos, though.

35. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: PROCESS!

DRINK!

Back to your earlier comment on hiring and process.

I’ve trained a lot of colleagues over the years and what I always say is: I can teach you the rules in 10 minutes. But it’ll take you three years to figure out the exceptions.

Instead, I focus on learning the “why”. If you understand the “why” in the policies and decisions then you eventually get to understand the underlying philosophy. Provided you’ve got a decent work ethic, then you can probably do your job well without having to constantly resort to asking what the policy is on this or that.

Get the why and the process down and the rest is personal and professional growth, which in my field is where all the reward is.

36. russ99 says:

Glad for the win, but this doesn’t help anything. How many more games does this buy us to stay the course?

Garbage goals (other than Gordon’s) by the grinder lines vs. the worst team in the league’s backup goalie.

Our offense is still broken. We got lucky.

37. wheatnoil says:

According to Naturalstattric.com, Yakupov led all Oiler forwards in TOI tonight with 19:05 and was second in even strength ice time to Arcobello. RNH got some rest in the second game of the back to back.

38. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

godot10: The moneychangers are currently in charge. Paper vs. digital. It does not matter.

And always have been.

39. Zelepukin says:

Woodguy: Aulie was bloody awful.

Full stop.

incredibly true. To be blunt, he is a really stupid player. There were two plays thats stood out where he had the puck, Buffalo was changing, at least 3 or all 4 Oilers were open up ice for a pass and he didn’t hit a single one on the tape. There was a moment where I thought, wait, this guys is being paid money to be this bad? I know beer league players who could make smarter decisions than this guy.

40. stevezie says:

Good win.

The debate seems to be is the problem the players or the systems, right? I might resurrect the idea that we could use a different kind of player.

Purcell, for example, is a great passer and a nice perimeter player, The Oil have a lot of players who are nice passers and who can really work the perimeter. Purcell is good, but he hasn’t really made the team better yet.

I think we could use a savage who drove the net with ferocity. I think one of the reasons Hendricks has looked so good this season is no one else on the team does what he does. I won’t bring back the “fighting matters” debate, but I think you could argue it is an extension of something that matters- a willingness to take and inflict pain. This is a useful attitude in the NHL.

Ryan Smyth took a lot of pain. Glen Anderson inflicted a lot of pain. (I chose these two examples because neither fought much and I want to double underline that I am not trying to talk about fighting here).

Good players generate a lot of shots, and guys crashing the net make those shots more likely to go in.

Obviously your net-crashers still need to be good- I’m not that old school. (I’m the guy who trumpted “overall goodness” as the most important player rating concept- all things being equal). I’m just starting to think, as nice as Purcell looks at times, that we might have been better off dumping Gagner altogether and just signing Steve Downie. This team could use some psycho.

41. VanOil says:

Duhatschek arguing that RNH is merely a talented player and the Oilers would be wise to engage Buffalo in an all out tank battle. He further postulates no generational talent has laced up for a Canadian team since Gretzky left with the possible exception of Roy.

42. Ice Sage says:

VanOil:

He’s right so far. RNH and Yak are the weakest #1’s since (Empty Net) Stefan, but it’s early days

Ice Sage:
    Interesting links
    Besides are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay 🙂
    Pages

Contact

I’d throw Erik Johnson, Marc-Andre Fleury and Rick DiPietro in there, and agree early days.

44. misfit says:

Could the Oil be in the process of ceding that title to Buffalo?

Would that count as progress?

Yes. Progress in the same way as earlier this year when I moved up in my hockey pool from last to tied for last.

45. RexLibris says:

I’d argue on Nugent-Hopkins in that his talent lies outside the usual markers (scoring). Yakupov I think is, and I hate saying this given his nationality, a bit of an enigma.

I still hold to the theory that his coaching background makes him a talented kid who came to planet NHL from another Solar System and there’s no universal translator available. The poor kid is spending his early years, the ones where the romance usually blossoms on young players, just trying to figure out the local hockey dialect. Its a credit to his determination to be an NHLer that I think he stays in North America through his first three NHL teams and doesn’t return to Russia until maybe his late 20s early 30s.

Somebody said yesterday the Oilers were the Thrashers now. Well, we could use a veteran Kovalchuk right about now. Say what you will about his early career, his last few years here were completely against the stereotype.

Johnson was a pretty big flop relative to the expectation going in. DiPietro is hard to tell for two reasons – goalie and injury. Fleury looked great when he won the Cup. Since then…our opinions are moving targets, and hindsight ensures nothing remains the same.

Kane, Stamkos and Tavares are phenomenal talents, but Kane hasn’t done it alone and Stamkos and Tavares are ready illustrations of that fact. I think the Oilers got one “weak” first overall in Yakupov and would revisit my comments above to expand on that.

46. RexLibris says:

Six degrees of Kevin Lowe.

Buffalo is in last place. Persistently tied to trade rumours re: Drew Stafford, nephew of Oiler trainer Barry Stafford and recently freed from the repercussions of the Vanek offer sheet which has coincided with a complete free fall in the standings.

Columbus in 2nd last place. Former haunt of past and current Oiler AGM Scott Howson. Also related in their exchange of defensemen Nikita Nikitin and Nick Schultz, although I think the die was truly cast when they signed Todd Marchant.

Carolina is in 3rd last place. Franchise tied to Oilers dating back to WHA days. Reunited in 2006 and have stunk to varying degrees since. Former Oiler RIley Nash currently headlining the roster due to injury which Oilers fans find simultaneously frustrating and amusing.

Oilers in 4th last place.

Dallas in 5th last place. Jim Nill may be smart, but he acquired former Oilers Shawn Horcoff and Ales Hemsky, thereby sullying the Stars franchise in the OIlers miasma.

Florida is in 6th last place. While the Jerrod Smithson trade might have begun the process, the Ryan Martindale move has apparently acted as Trojan Horse for the Panthers who, in spite of their Oilers affiliations, appear to actually be improving to be not the worst team in the league.

Try and beat that, Kevin Bacon.

47. Zelepukin says:

RexLibris:
    Six degrees of Kevin Lowe.

Oilers in 4th last place.

Try and beat that, Kevin Bacon.

Blows my mind that Dallas is in 5th.

Jamie Benn – Tyler Seguin – Valeri Nichushkin
    Antoine Roussel – Jason Spezza – Ales Hemsky
    Patrick Eaves – Cody Eakin – Ryan Garbutt
    Erik Cole – Vernon Fiddler – Shawn Horcoff

Alex Goligoski – Trevor Daley
    Jordie Benn – Brenden Dillon
    Kevin Connauton – Jamie Oleksiak

Kari Lehtonen
    [Anders Lindbäck]

Other than their 5-6 D (add in Gonchar), on paper that lineup is worlds apart from ours, not 1 pt in the standings.

48. Ribs says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 7s7 seconds ago

Lol. The process.

49. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money:

Yes, but they could have lost to them anyway, and they didn’t.

G Money:
    But I do give them credit for not folding after going down 2-1.That would have been easy to do given the third game in four nights effect.

Exactly. It’s good to see some fight in the dog.

50. theres oil in virginia says:

[]JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[]: And always have been.

I’m really impressed to see so much awareness of this issue here.

51. cabbiesmacker says:

Ribs: Lol. The process.

Hey now. Don’t be sarcastic. Cheese Whiz is processed and it’s DAMN good

52. cabbiesmacker says:

RexLibris:
    Six RINGS of Kevin Lowe.

Try and beat that, Kevin Bacon.

Fixed it for you.

I wonder if Kevin Bacon knows a thing or two about winning tho. We know Charlie Sheen and Kevin Lowe do, but Kevin Bacon?

I do like bacon though. Especially the thick cut stuff. You know when you order it and it’s more like ham but it’s been fried til it’s crispy and the edges curl up? Damn that’s some tasty shite. Bacon rules

53. Yeti says:

cabbiesmacker,

I thought you were vegan?

54. HeavySig says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 7s7 seconds ago

If they don’t understand, I am sure we can find plenty of experts on Oil processing (even used Oil processing) in Alberta to explain it to them.

55. oliveoilers says:

RexLibris:

We aren’t the Thrashers, we’re the Blue Jackets with Rick Nash and some Howson guy. How long before the Brain Trust float the ‘hypothetically speaking, what would we get for Taylor Hall? Hypothetically, of course.’ in a meeting?

56. AZOIL says:

Hey all, I didn’t see the game but noticed Liro Pakarinen got second star? How did he play? Got an assist?

57. oliveoilers says:

AZOIL:

He was excellent. Great 3rd/4th line performance with limited minutes well within his capabilities for only his second NHL game. Willis has a good article on him on ON. Just don’t read the comments.

58. oliveoilers says:

oliveoilers: He was excellent.Great 3rd/4th line performance with limited minutes well within his capabilities for only his second NHL goal.Willis has a good article on him on ON.Just don’t read the comments.

Sorry he also scored on a juicy rebound too!

59. AZOIL says:

oliveoilers,

Thanks. Sounds good. So where is his ceiling? 2 line wing?

Also I was looking at St. Louis center men and they are stacked no? Who could we get out of there?

60. G Money says:

Last night’s fancystats game scenario was “D”.

I think I predicted this game would be a “C”, so that’s good, right?

My game deconstruction scenarios that I will be using as boilerplates to assess each game this season until the Oilers actually look consistently good instead of a pretend NHL team:

Deconstruction A – loss to a good team:
    – Man, our Corsi sucked
    – Too bad our goalie couldn’t win it for us
    – Oh well, we’re not an elite team yet, this is to be expected, right?

Deconstruction B – win against a good team:
    – Man, our Corsi sucked
    – Nice that our goalie won one for us, for a change!
    – Oh well, we’re not an elite team yet, better an ugly win than a pretty loss, right?

Deconstruction C – loss to a bad team:
    – Hey, at least our Corsi was OK, right?
    – Too bad about the breaks [goalie gaffes or soft goals, isolated defensive lapses turning into goals, bad reffing, goalposts]
    – I mean, just look at that fucking PDO!
    – At least the Corsi was good, right? Things will even up and go our way eventually, right? Right!?!

Deconstruction D – win against a bad team:
    – Hey, it all came together!
    – Good Corsi, finally got decent goaltending, decent defensive coverage, a fairly called game, the breaks didn’t ALL go against us
    – See? Maybe this team has some potential after all