NO. 3 PROSPECT (winter 2014) OSCAR KLEFBOM

klefbom ferguson 1415

By the time the Edmonton Oilers reached No. 19 overall at the 2011 draft, there was something close to panic in the organization. Badly outmanned on the blue in the NHL and at every level below, management needed a defenseman who had size, speed, toughness and some idea about the position. Oscar Klefbom met all requirements and the selection has been regarded as positive since it was made. The only things left: Transition to the NHL and where he plays on the depth chart.

PREVIOUSLY NUMBER THREE ON THE WINTER LIST

• December 2004: C Marc-Antoine Pouliot
  • December 2005: G Devan Dubnyk
  • December 2006: C Marc-Antoine Pouliot
  • December 2007: D Tom Gilbert
  • December 2008: D Theo Peckham
  • December 2009: C Riley Nash
  • December 2010: L Magnus Paajarvi
  • December 2011: D Oscar Klefbom
  • December 2012: D Oscar Klefbom
  • December 2012: C Marco Roy

Some nice players made it to No. 3 on their respective winter lists. I’d count Tom Gilbert as a hit, with Riley Nash looking good too. There are no Hall’s or Nuge’s here, as one would expect. This is Klefbom’s third time at this number, suggesting he’s both good and near the end of his time as a prospect (for our purposes). He should be past 50 games by this time next season.

klefbom5WHAT THEY SAID ON DRAFT DAY

• Redline Report: Klefbom is a real Red Line favorite. He’s certainly the most overlooked of the top prospects, but is the best pure passer of the bunch, and his skating ranks only behind Murphy. He already makes pro style passes — crisp and with touch — and excels at breaking the trap with tremendous stretch passes through the neutral zone, showing great vision. He was also the natural leader on Sweden’s national under-18 team. All this comes wrapped in a 6-3, 196-pound package, and Klefbom has really stepped up the physical aspect of his game over the last 12 months. At Red Line, we believe he might ultimately become the best all-around balance of offensive upside and physical strength in this year’s class.
  • TSN (Grant McCagg): Captained Sweden to a silver medal at the U-18 championships, and appeared in 23 games for Farjestad in the SEL at 17 years of age. His stock rose as the season went on, culminating with his strong play at the U-18’s. Strengths: High character player who did it all for Sweden at the U-18’s, considered a warrior with tremendous leadership qualities. Good size and strength, reads the play well and will jump into the rush, good vision and passing skills, good compete level, likes to play physically. Weaknesses – Has a clumsy skating style, needs to work on quickness and lower body strength. NHL Upside – May develop into a top three NHL defenceman who takes care of his own end and sees some time on the second powerplay unit.

PRE-DRAFT RANKINGS

• BOB MCKENZIE, TSN: NO. 21
  • RED LINE REPORT: NO. 11
  • ISS: NO. 10

klefbom draft capture

PREVIOUS TOP 20 RANKING

• Summer 2011: 2
  • Winter 2011: 3
  • Summer 2012: 3
  • Winter 2012: 3
  • Summer 2013: 3
  • Winter 2013: 2
  • Summer 2014: 4
  • Winter 2014: 3

Klefbom and Martin Marincin were thought to be the class of the organization’s defensemen when they were drafted (until Nurse arrived). It is sometimes difficult to be patient for their arrival, but the only worry over Klefbom since draft day was injury. He’s a stud prospect.

Klefbom_Smiling_Draftday_thumb

Oscar Klefbom in the NHL, 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.74 (4th among D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: worst available among D
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 44.3
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: +1.0
  • Zone Start: 35.1% (toughest among D)
  • Zone Finish: 43.7% (2nd best among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 14 shots/7.1% (3rd among D>10 shots)
  • Boxcars: 17, 1-2-3
  • Klefbom on 2013-14 season: “It’s been a very exciting year for me – a big year – especially when I got a chance to play in the NHL as well. So I think it was a really good year for me in my career so far. I’m just looking forward to the next one.”
  • Eakins in the days after Klefbom’s NHL debut: “He’s been night-and-day for me from those first 30 minutes he played for us. We still have to protect him a little bit — that’s the fair thing to do with a man of his experience — but so far, so good. He’s making progress.”
  • Corey Pronman: ”NHL GM on newly signed Oscar Klefbom. “Physically mature, great skater. Projects to play against best players and some offense.”

2014-15

klefbom screen capture

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING NOW

• The Hockey News: Owns massive shutdown upside, thanks largely to great size (6-3, 204 pounds), a physical edge to his game and mobility. Also possesses a little puck-moving and offensive potential.
  • Todd Nelson on Klefbom: “Defensively, he’s a horse.”
  • Todd Nelson: “Oscar is a defenseman’s defenseman. He really prides himself on playing good defensive hockey. He skates well. He’s a strong kid. He’s able to move the puck. He’s got a lot of skill. He just needs to play hockey games.”

OSCAR KLEFBOM 14-15 (OILERS)

• 5×5 points per 60: nil
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: toughest
  • Qual Team: 7th best
  • Corsi Rel: 2.3
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 51.4
  • Zone Start: 50% (5th easiest among defensemen)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 2 shots
  • Boxcars: 2GP, 0-0-0

OSCAR KLEFBOM WOWY

klefbom wowy

THE FUTURE

Klefbom is a top flight 2-way defensive prospect who fits the modern game. Good skater, physical and willing to jump into the play. Decision making has improved since draft day, injuries are a concern. He is on the NHL roster after impressing in Oklahoma City, but has played only two games so far. His zone starts are the most severe on the team, but he appears to be No. 8 on the depth chart—these things don’t add up! Klefbom has played 19 NHL games, I expect he’ll get another 25-30 this season and spend the rest of the year in the AHL. His long term future is very bright, and very much as an Edmonton Oilers player. Among the blue, Darnell Nurse and Oscar Klefbom are clearly regarded as the future.

klefbom ferguson1The 2011 NHL Draft

• Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, No. 1 overall. Splendid young player and may be adding another gear in year four after his draft. Graduated.
  • Oscar Klefbom, No. 19 overall. A big piece of Edmonton’s future on the blue line, Top 4D with an emphasis on defense. No.3 on the winter 20.
  • David Musil, No. 31 overall. Playing solid D in OKC, working on foot speed. Inside the winter 20.
  • Samu Perhonen, No. 63 overall. Big goalie hasn’t progressed. Back in Finland. Not in organization.
  • Travis Ewanyk, No. 74 overall. Tough as nails checking C doesn’t bring offense. Candidate for winter 20.
  • Dillon Simpson, No. 92 overall. Turned pro this season, impressing in OKC. Inside the winter 20.
  • Tobias Rieder, No. 114 overall. No longer in organization. Scouting home run, he’s in the NHL.
  • Martin Gernat, No. 122 overall. A solid young prospect maturing in the AHL. Inside the winter 20.
  • Frans Tuohimaa, No. 182 overall. Prospect has shown some interesting progress. Candidate for winter 20.

The 2011 draft is in its fourth year and there are some promising things. Nuge and Klefbom are on track to be part of the cluster for years to come, and there are several candidates to join them. The sheer number of blue taken in this draft dictates not all of them will be Oilers, but there are some nice trade assets in the group. Tobias Rieder, cashed early, is the third player from the 2011 Oilers draft to make the NHL.

45 Responses to "NO. 3 PROSPECT (winter 2014) OSCAR KLEFBOM"

1. zatch says:

I love him. I think this is the year that management stumbles around trying to keep the defence gliding while waiting for Klef and Nurse. This year is a burner on the D-front. Perhaps even MM, though I doubt it now more than ever

That Reider trade will never, ever not make me mad. Kessey is nothing special at all. Every org has several of his type.

2. spoiler says:

There are times when I think Dr Drai will be better than the Golden Nugget and there are times, usually when I’m looking at his skating, when I think he should be ranked behind Nurse on the Top 20.

But the 3 hole I think is clear cut. Definitely Klefbom and I don’t think he will be on another list… something we can’t say about Nurse and possibly Canada Drai too.

3. Dicky94 says:

Hopefully he cracks the line up tomorrow night. He will be a big part of the Oilers defence in the near future which makes me believe Marty will be the one moved out shortly for a center. It’s too bad but with Nurse, Simpson and even Musil coming very soon I just don’t see the Oil keeping him. Oh and sign Petry! NOW!

4. Captain's Log says:

Our #3 prospect is currently sitting in the pressbox (and has been for almost a week now). Good management Oilers! Send him down already.

It will be really interesting to see what happens next year with Nikitin, Ference, Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse looking for 3 LHD spots (and maybe 1 as 7th D).

Anton Slepyshev is back in the KHL and posting some numbers. 27GP, 4-5-9

6. VanOil says:

Waiting for Defensemen to arrive is painful. I hope Klefbom will be returned to the AHL for 20 more games then returns to the NHL to stay. Predicting this organizations evaluation and development strategies for the Defense is excruciating.

Klefbom getting his shot at the NHL full time next year and Nurse getting his shot full time in the AHL would be how I would play it.

Marco Roy with an early goal tonight, he`s 17GP, 8-7-15 for the season.

8. cabbiesmacker says:

Dicky94:
    Hopefully he cracks the line up tomorrow night.He will be a big part of the Oilers defence in the near future which makes me believe Marty will be the one moved out shortly for a center. It’s too bad but with Nurse, Simpson and even Musil coming very soon I just don’t see the Oil keeping him. Oh and sign Petry! NOW!

I wouldn’t put it past the Oilers to trade away Marincin AND Petry just as the D looks to have a promising future. They’ve painted themselves into a bit of a corner with Nikitin and Ference’s contracts for another couple of years so they could have some veteran presence, but those two aren’t pulling their weight and probably shouldn’t have been expected to.

If it were possible, and it isn’t, I’d eat salary and trade both of their contracts at year end, resign Petry to a respectably long and decent dollar version, and start Marincin AND Klefbom to begin 15/16.

Disagree with your coming soon comments though. Musil isn’t anywhere near being a SOON guy and Simpson “might” be ready for the start of the 2016 season. If the Oilers play it smart that is which is a very large IF.

9. "Frank The Dog" says:

zatch:

What was MacT supposed to do with him not wanting to play for Edmonton?

10. LMHF#1 says:

“Frank The Dog”: What was MacT supposed to do with him not wanting to play for Edmonton?

It isn’t as if that situation could not have been remedied.

Seems to be a ton of excuse-making and very little fixing when it comes to situations like this in Edmonton. See – the “players wives” excuses. These things can be fixed.

11. Marcus Oilerius says:

Let’s play “spot the wrong choice” here.

We have three contenders, all at the top of the list.

#1 is Aaron Ekbad, who has 8 points in 13 games (as a defenceman! on the Panthers!!).
    #2 is Sam Reinhart, who has 1 point in 9 games and has been sent back down to junior, saving a year of ELC and a year of RFA.
    #3 is Leon Draisaitl, who has 4 points in 16 games, and has not been sent down to junior in time to save a year of ELC, and may yet lose a year of RFA if management doesn’t open its eyes.

12. Marcus Oilerius says:

LMHF#1: It isn’t as if that situation could not have been remedied.

How?

Trading Eberle or Yakupov so they could make room for Rieder in the top 6, should he ever make it?

13. frjohnk says:

I wonder if as fans we overrate our players. Last year at this time I figured Klefbom would become a player like Marc Staal. He still could but this is his 4th year after his draft year and he is number 8 on blue line depth chart on one of the worst blue lines in the league.

I just wonder if we are hoping for a number 2 or 3 Dman when we might be getting a number 4 or number 5 d man with Klefbom.

Wouldn’t be the first time we would have overrated a prospect.

Marcus Oilerius: How?

Well there’s simply no way to assume that would have happened, this was a player who was eligible to sign a contract. Beyond that, we can’t assume anything about his progress because there was no progress at the time.

15. SK Oiler Fan says:

The future? How many more Hall and Gordon years are they going to waste? Looks like prime Nuge years will start counting down soon as well. You’re looking at 3 years until MM, KB are helping win games. And 4 years for Nurse. I don’t think Chuck will ever consistently help win games. Simpson and Musil might…might help in 5 or 6 years. Hall could be in a body cast and Gordon’s hard minutes will surely have him finished by then. Any of these D prospects should be made available to upgrade the D now so it is in sync with the forwards. You set the D up for 5 years now so they have time to restock the cupboards.
    Fk, the player time line for this team is so out of wack I don’t think you could purposely plan it any worse.

16. Kmart99 says:

Nikitin needs to heal. Klefbom and MM need to prove their worth next time they are given a shot so that Eakins isn’t forced to run with Aulie. The ELCs are over and Klef and MM need to start contributing to wins. The forwards aren’t perfect, and we all know the Centre position is a real problem, but despite Leon and Arco, this forward group is playoff caliber IMO. MacT has really just one item on the shopping list , and that is a Centre. Between Petry, MM, Klefbom, Fayne, and Nurse, the future is ok on D.

Goaltending is a ?, but I’m putting my $ on Scrivens posting a .920 avg over the remaining 66 games.

This season is salvageable, but a 2C is needed right now.

17. SK Oiler Fan says:

Man, Kessel has made Rask look like DD from both face off dots

18. Younger Oil says:

I think it should be noted that Reider isn’t slated to be a top 6 forward, but a quality bottom 6 two way utility forward. He’s leading the Coyotes in +/- already, with a +4 in 5 games.

On another note, Nash would fill that 2C spot very nicely right now. Leading Carolina in points.

The gift of Tambo just keeps on giving.

19. "Frank The Dog" says:

LMHF#1: It isn’t as if that situation could not have been remedied.

I agree that it can be fixed but MacT walked into layers of problems. this was one of more than a few players that correctly, at the time, saw no end to the Oil being a dysfunctional organization. We had a deteriorating roster, tenured Assistant Coaches, and a turnstile of Head Coaches.

Horcoff asked out, as did Hemsky, and quite a few more. If Petry wants out Im hoping he will be the last of the past in this regard.

Younger Oil:

The gift of Tambo just keeps on giving.

Tambellini wasn’t responsible for Nash. Nash was drafted by Lowe and Prendergast. Tambellini saved the value of an asset that wasn’t going to sign in Edmonton by trading it for the pick that became Marincin.

Prendergast bares most of the blame for lack of due diligence on Riley Nash.

21. digdeepnbleedblue says:

I like Klefbom and think he’s going to be a solid D-man for years and years. Where he ends up in the batting order remains to be seen, I’d say. But, he looks good.

What I want to focus on is his role this year. I think the best option for him is to play top minutes in the AHL. From what I’ve read/heard from Coach Nelson this is someone who is owning that league. That’s a good thing for his development, IMO. You get a chance to be the go-to guy. Play in every situation. And, become a leader.

However, I don’t think bringing him up to play a few games and sit and watch a few is going to hurt his progress. I’d just like for them to then send him down for 10 games or so before they call him back up. Make it a routine throughout the year. I got no issues with that.

You could do this with every player that hasn’t earned a permanent spot. Marincin included, IMO.

It keeps these cats playing and gives others a chance to get their feet wet in the show as well. I think that’s good asset management for the prospects knocking on the door. Just me, though.

I don’t think Arcobello is the answer. He’s done an admirable job but he’s probably just a good fourth liner or 13th/14th forward, IMO. But, I’d like to think they will evaluate where Draisaitl and the team are before they decide to send him back to JR.

PA doesn’t bother me either even if they don’t make the playoffs this year. Might actually be a good thing. He can then play for the Barons in the post-season. And/or the World Championship. Whatever happens I think/hope the suits do the right thing. Suspect they will.

But, I don’t think 10 minutes a night for 40ish games will ruin the player. I will say this, though, I don’t agree with the narrative that he’s too good for JR. Sounds like rhetoric, but again that’s just me.

On Kessy: This guy may never be Reider, but he just may turn out to be more important when you think of an overall hockey player. I like the shit disturbers, though. Fucking maniacs! Love ’em.

Marcus Oilerius: How?

That’s only 1/2 the RW positions on a team.

Younger Oil:

The gift of Tambo just keeps on giving.

He is however, playing on ARZ top line with Vermette and Doan.

24. alice13 says:

“On Draisaitl: I have actually been the only guy, that I can tell anyhoo, that thinks he should play fourth line minutes for at least half a year. And, maybe all year. Don’t think there’s any harm in that. The current problem is that there really is no 2nd line centre as has been alluded to by many smart peeps over and over again. ”

This.

There is a lack of depth at C, but the idea of breaking Leon in This year is not a bad one. He can’t get AHL experience until fall of 2016, so the hand-wringers will have to explain how they would prefer to see him handled, because he will be a rookie someday. As I mentioned in the Nurse post the other day, you want both these guys rookies next year, or can you live with a slower road north that keeps moving north by getting Herman’s rookie sorties flown this year. He’s the Only rookie on the team (I’m not counting Klef as he’s not actually playing). For people who profess patience some seem pretty anxious to trade MM for a stopgap, and then roll Leon out as a rookie next year.

He has to get his at-bats sometime, and unless you’re talking late 2016/early 2017 he has to make the jump from Jr. I understand wanting to send him down, but if that is your stance then you should contemplate filling in the rest of his development timeline and where he’s going to be when he lands on the pro club. Sucks to be out of the playoffs this year but that’s not in the cards now, and was a longshot to begin with. I sure as Christ don’t want to miss next year because Nurse and Leon are breaking in at the same time. I’ll take one bullet this year, thank-you.

25. Marcus Oilerius says:

alice13: There is a lack of depth at C, but the idea of breaking Leon in This year is not a bad one.

Leon is the direct source of the lack of depth at C. The team made no moves to secure a centre because they were planning on Draisaitl panning out. With 4 points in 16 games and ice time that’s dropping, he’s not exactly making the argument.

Leave him in junior or send him to Europe. Save some ELC years, save some RFA years. He’ll be a better rookie (in minor or pro) in a year or 2 than he is now. Draisaitl is not the solution this year and likely not next.

Anze Kopitar could afford to spend an extra year in development, in Sweden. Spezza spent two in junior. Bobby Ryan spent two in junior and then bounced around between pro and minor for two seasons after that. Toews spent another year in college. Backstrom spent an extra season in Europe.

The Oilers developmental model is by far the worst option. Not enough ice time for those unable to make an immediate impact. Sacrificing ELC and RFA years for dubious contributions from those who do make an impact. Hall did contribute immediately, but right about now an extra ELC year or two and RFA put off seem like a really good deal. Nuge clearly could have spent more time in junior. He put up points but wasn’t physically ready for the game, and the Rebels are an excellent organization by all accounts. Yakupov is probably the only one of our first overalls who needed to make the jump, but that’s because Sarnia is not a good franchise, and they let Yak run wild rather than coaching him.

Send Drai to Sweden, pick up a stopgap, bite the bullet and pay the price for Richards, or fill in with Lander.

26. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

I just came home to read the other thread of the day,

Holy fucking shit. Eberle is seen on the golf course this summer and he is being labeled as not committed and the difference between he and Gretzky is work ethic?!

What the fuck did I read? Really?! Come on!!

Schultzy plays a lot of golf in the Okanagan in the summer. Doesn’t mean he isn’t training. Grant Fuhr. Helluva golfer, nearly made the PGA tour. Helluva goaltender. Hockey Hall of Famer.

I’m not the biggest Eberle fan here, but please. He’s been playing hurt, clearly. He’s still found money in my books late in the first round. Thank God we have him. He isn’t the problem.

The problem with the Oilers is first and foremost LUCK. They should have scored more and allowed less just based on luck. Then the lack of a bonafide 2C. The wingers aren’t the problem. If only the Oilers obtained a solid 2C, that would make everyone from Hall to Ebs to Yak to Perron look so, so much better.

As others have said Draisaitl will be a heck of a player. God, he’s going to be a 5v4 demon to Nuge’s witch. But he isn’t ready to push the river, and nor should we expect him to be. Bring a vet C in and either send him back to junior or move him to a role on the wing (assuming we have to include a winger in a package to get said centreman).

Edit- Send Drai to Sweden? Huh? What did I miss?

27. Rebilled says:

The new corrspondant on The Daily Show just referenced Andy Moog.

28. "Frank The Dog" says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL":
    I just came home to read the other thread of the day,

What the fuck did I read? Really?! Come on!!

Edit- Send Drai to Sweden? Huh? What did I miss?

I don’t think there is anything unlucky about making a bunch of dumb cluck roster moves early in the season, or the team not committing to the system until now, nor the fact of how the refs don’t call penalties on ‘Mercan and big market Canadian teams.

But the team seems to have bonded with Eakins, Eakins appears to be making good roster decisions, putting good lines together, and playing the best players at the best times, his program seems to be working at last, and as LT would say the team seems to have grown some hair on their @$$ in their pushback at Nashville after falling apart in the 1st period.

But that was then and this is now. Based on the Nashville pushback I’m prepared to cut Eakins another tablespoon of cautious optimism. But the better they work together, and the better roster decisions made, the luckier they get! 🙂

29. VanOil says:

A two’fr of 3 for 1’s;

Inspired by JW’s ON article.

Purcell + Lander + (1 million salary retained on Purcell) to MTL for Elher. They are down a left wing from the Moen trade and still deep with Centers. Acro and Draisaitl can then rotate 2nd line center or 3d line wing home and away.

Of course Schultz + Prospect (Gernat) + Pick to Buffalo for Myers.

The Center position would then become a position of strength where prospects are given time to develop and then enter the NHL on the wing.

The Right side of the Defense then has 3 NHL players that do not need to be sheltered in Myers, Petry and Fayne. The Left side is still too young or too poor but half a defense is so much better than what the Oilers have iced for years. LT has two of the teams top 3 prospects as LHD so it won’t be bad forever.

Rebilled:
    The new corrspondant on The Daily Show just referenced Andy Moog.

best.

31. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

“Frank The Dog”,

Ha ha. You know there is bad luck and good luck, right? Ha ha. It’s like the common misuse of the word “fortuitous” that you hear all the time on TV these days. It does not mean fortunate. It means “by chance.” Good or bad “luck” doesn’t matter! But the media makes it seem like it’s always good. “They got a fortuitous bounce.” So misused in hockey!

Edit- I read, “unclucky” for some reason.
    I’m not disagreeing about the early season shooting of the own foot. I said so many times as well. But in the now, the Oilers are unlucky.

Jackson Houck with an assist tonight, he’s 17GP, 5-13-18

33. SK Oiler Fan says:

Thank you thank you. I know this blog loves prospects and wants to give each one of them 5 years to find out what they are, but Mac T can’t wait as long as it will take for their current prospects to fill the holes. Hall will be gone and Gordon will be broken by then. There’s risk involved, but I think the risk is greater if MacT waits for prospects that might fill holes. By then there will be new holes to fill from guys like Hall getting out because of losing hockey.

VanOil:
    A two’fr of 3 for 1’s;

Inspired by JW’s ON article.

Of course Schultz + Prospect (Gernat) + Pick to Buffalo for Myers.

34. RexLibris says:

Nice to see Slepyshev get some momentum again.

He’s going to test-drive the AHL next season and I think that’ll be a very intriguing year to see how he handles it. I suspect we’ll be focusing on parsing the “translation to NA development curve” from the “underwhelming production from an older prospect development curve”.

Unless he tears the cover off the ball in which case we can just skip straight to overly optimistic comparisons to Kuznetsov and Tarasenko.

🙂

35. RexLibris says:

“Hey Rex, why do you visit FlamesNation as an Oilers fan? Doesn’t that make you kind of a troll?”

No, not at all. I visit FN for the dialogue and the perspective it provides on a provincial rival. I also enjoy those moments of online wisdom that, well, that simply take your breath away.

Moments like this: Edmonton gave up on Wayne Gretzky.

It…it really just leaves you kind of speechless, awestruck even.

———–

I love the internet.

36. Hammers says:

Most of the prospects are doing well as are the prospects in OKL . If the cap doesn’t go up we may need Klefbom , Marincin , Leon & Nurse to play all 82 next year and at least 1 more from the Barons , maybe Yak2 or Pakirinen . . Starting to look at who won’t be here due to trade or not resigning . Joensuu , Petry , Fahst , . Possibly Arco ,Nikitin, Hendricks , Lander , Aulie , Purcell . . McT will have tough decisions to make especially with a loosing team and needing a goalie , “D” & a “C” . Yak & Schultz will need decisions .That’s why a big trade may have to happen and this season .

37. Cameron says:

RexLibris:

Moments like this: Edmonton gave up on Wayne Gretzky.

It…it really just leaves you kind of speechless, awestruck even.

———–

I love the internet.

We at FN love you back Rex!

38. Kmart99 says:

RexLibris,

Well, he never became the 300pt player we needed him to be. He just didn’t seem to be hitting his potential here.

39. RexLibris says:

Kmart99:
    RexLibris,

40. RexLibris says:

Cameron,

Second only to Philae, that comment was perhaps the most intriguing thing I had read all day.

Captained the team to four cups and yet somehow perceived by someone as being given up as a lost cause.

There are errors made by rushing to conclusions or misinterpretations of history based on popular myth, but that was pretty close to cavemen-hunted-dinosaurs-to-extinction levels of fallacy.

41. Cameron says:

RexLibris:
    Cameron,

Tin foil hats can be purchased all across Alberta, nothing special about either of our cities in that regard.

Philae is just more proof that sometimes we can be pretty clever monkeys.

Last but not least, everyone should check out Rex’s Remembrance Day post at FN. It’s a beauty.

42. j says:

Re: Klef – the most important comment above is from Todd Nelson where he states “he just needs to play hockey games”. Klef has missed a large part of his development years to injury. He needs reps and sets. Having him sit in the press box is stealing from his development curve. He should be in the AHL getting top 4 minutes. Marincin, despite his poor start, has put his time in and the NHL is arguably the best point on his curve. There is no magic formula for when a player is ready. And it relies heavily on context – but this particular situation seems fairly straight forward.

43. RexLibris says:

Cameron,

Re: Philae and clever apes…

I still say they should’ve given the opposable thumbs to the damned dolphins.

——-

Thanks, I cherish the opportunity to contribute on that subject each year.

44. Магия 10 says:

RexLibris: Cam Cole has a good article this morning in the EJ on McDavid fighting which includes a satirical bit on why Gretzky was always overshadowed by Semenko, McLelland and McSorley: lack of gritittude.

McDavid is out for weeks from trying to fight? Hey, he’s one shoulder injury away from being an Oiler on lottery day.