NO. 5 PROSPECT (winter 2014): IIRO PAKARINEN

In what is easily the biggest leap in years, Finn Iiro Pakarinen climbs a long way into the Top 20 this winter and lands at number five overall. Why? Range of skills added to scoring ability, and a firm belief that we’re seeing something more than a fluke or a quick fix for short term. Iiro Pakarinen looks like the real thing.

PREVIOUSLY NUMBER FIVE ON THE WINTER LIST

• December 2004: D Doug Lynch
  • December 2005: C Andrew Cogliano
  • December 2006: L Jean-Francois Jacques
  • December 2007: C Rob Schremp
  • December 2008: D Alex Plante
  • December 2009: D Theo Peckham
  • December 2010: D Theo Peckham
  • December 2011: D Martin Marincin
  • December 2012: L Teemu Hartikainen
  • December 2013: C Jujhar Khaira

My list is a decade old, and prone to the bias of a fan, but even with that limitation shows the club hasn’t developed a pack of kids who have emerged as NHL regulars. In fact, looking at 10 years worth of No. 5’s, I think it’s fair to say that Martin Marincin is already the second most successful player to be placed at that number. Whatever else we can say about the Oilers during this century, they’ve been five top quality prospects deep exactly twice (2005, 2011) during those years.

pakarinen250113__large-700x466

WHAT THEY SAID ON DRAFT DAY

• Kirk Luedeke: Undrafted overager has nice size, should add some bulk and get stronger. Heavy feet with a choppy stride, but decent straight-line speed. Needs to pick up the initial burst to have a shot at the NHL. Keeps his stick on the ice and goes to the net well. Opportunistic scorer throughout; managed to be in right place at right time and made his opportunities count. OK defensively; doesn’t do anything to stand out in his own end. Overview: Pakarinen had a pretty good hand in Finland’s offense during the preliminary round, but seems to be a longshot as an NHL prospect. Might have done enough to get drafted late, but not a prospect to keep a close eye on as the 106th-ranked skater by Central and not likely to be on many teams’ lists if at all.
  • Hockey’s Future: Pakarinen plays like a demon in tight spots, and his stick handling ability and skating agility compares favorably to any of the top young players in Finland. Rather than focus on artistic playmaking, however, Pakarinen prefers the physical elements of the game. Offensively, he does have a hard, accurate shot which suggests he could be a dangerous sniper. While his physical style explains his pedestrian offensive numbers, that abrasiveness has gained him both attention and notoriety from scouts. As coaches and scouts will tell you, it’s easier to tone down a player who is too aggressive than it is to try and instill competitiveness.

Florida drafted him in 2011, and let him go at the same time Edmonton waved goodbye to Samu Perhonen. I think the foot speed must have been the problem, but he’s quick enough and fast enough now to play a regular shift and play the game at speed in the NHL.

PREVIOUS TOP 20 RANKING

• Summer 2014: 26
  • Winter 2014: 5stauffer pakarinenElite Prospects: A large winger shooting from his right. An energetic player with good skating and a nice frame. Possesses a good sharp, wrist shot and is a solid finisher. A hard worker and versatile player who can also play as a defenceman. (Matias Strozyk, 2012)
  • Lowetide, training camp: Iiro Pakarinen—Under the radar signing could end up surprising in training camp and grabbing Pitlick’s NHL job. He apparently has a good wrist shot and isn’t afraid of traffic. Complete wild card.

14-15

• Pakarinen on his first NHL goal: “I don’t even remember. I was a little bit shocked. It was so fast of a situation. I jumped on the ice and the rebound was there and I tried to shoot as hard as I can.” Source

parkatti pakarinenHere’s my Q&A about Pakarinen during the RE Series:

1. Do you have any idea if he’s good enough to play in the NHL this season? Nope. Skating may have improved since his draft year (Luedeke’s report is from the draft season of 2011).
  2. How many players eligible for the 2011 draft are in the NHL? Two Oilers (Nuge, Klef) and 50 overall. He would have been eligible for the 2009 and 2010 drafts as well—born late August of 1991—but this past season he blossomed offensively.
  3. Where does he rank on the RW depth chart? I have it Eberle, Yakupov, Purcell, Pitlick, Pakarinen, Pinizzotto, Miller.
  4. Is there a chance he jumps past all but the top three and lands an NHL job? Oh yes. I’d say 25% chance, something like that number.
  5. What he is most famous for? It’s in the video.

Iiro Pakarinen in the NHL, 14-15

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.86 (5th among forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: easiest among forwards
  • Qual Team: 10th best among forwards
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 50%
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -5.9
  • Zone Start: 93.8 (second biggest push)
  • Zone Finish: 42.9
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 9 shots/11.1%
  • Boxcars: 5GP, 1-0-1

pakarinen wowy

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING NOW

• Dallas Eakins in training camp“He seems to be getting under a fair number of our guys’ skin. We like to see that, we like that compete. He’s come as advertised by one of our scouts and I think he’s had a good couple of days.”
  • Todd Nelson: “He’s probably been our most complete player and most consistent player throughout the eight games that we’ve played. I think it’s just a matter of time [before he gets an NHL shot], because he plays both ends very well, he has a great shot, he’s a big strong guy and he skates very well. He’s pretty complete for this level… He plays both [left and right wing]. It doesn’t matter if it’s left or right side he feels comfortable in both positions. The one thing about Pakarinen that the coaching staff here has been impressed with is his maturity and how he carries himself for a young guy. He’s a consummate professional, he works hard in the gym and works hard in practice. I think just the way that he carries himself is pretty impressive.” Source
  • Pakarinen on his NHL debut: “The coach told me to be ready to go and now I’m here it’s great.  We have played good as a team in Oklahoma and I have played pretty good as well. I think I have played to my own strengths, being aggressive, shooting the puck, scoring a few goals. There’s a big difference between European hockey and North American hockey and in these seven games I improved a lot of the things I need in the NHL. I think I’m ready to play now in the NHL.” Source

THE FUTURE

We’ve followed the 2009+ prospects (Anton Lander, Tyler Pitlick, Curtis Hamilton, etc) for years, and projected them into the bottom 6F group in the future. A young man like Iiro Pakarinen, drafted in 2011 but eligible in 2009 and 2010, developed in a faraway place and was not signed by a losing organization. He signs with Edmonton on the advice of  Matti Virmanen, wows the gathered crowd at camp, goes to OKC and learns his ABCs, and we are here. The race for that open winger spot?

It may be over. My placing Pakarinen here suggests same.

2011 NHL Draft

• Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, No. 1 overall. Splendid young player and may be adding another gear in year four after his draft. Graduated.
  • Oscar Klefbom, No. 19 overall. A big piece of Edmonton’s future on the blue line, Top 4D with an emphasis on defense. No.3 on the winter 20.
  • David Musil, No. 31 overall. Playing solid D in OKC, working on foot speed. Inside the winter 20.
  • Samu Perhonen, No. 63 overall. Big goalie hasn’t progressed. Back in Finland. Not in organization.
  • Travis Ewanyk, No. 74 overall. Tough as nails checking C doesn’t bring offense. Candidate for winter 20.
  • Dillon Simpson, No. 92 overall. Turned pro this season, impressing in OKC. Inside the winter 20.
  • Tobias Rieder, No. 114 overall. No longer in organization. Scouting home run, he’s in the NHL.
  • Martin Gernat, No. 122 overall. A solid young prospect maturing in the AHL. Inside the winter 20.
  • Frans Tuohimaa, No. 182 overall. Prospect has shown some interesting progress. Candidate for winter 20.

The Oilers’ scouts drafted three players who have found the NHL, and the pro scouts found another in Pakarinen. I mentioned in the last edition of this series a paradigm shift in the Oilers procurement department—more size/skill and more MacT—and I think we’re also seeing more Virmanen whose name has been attached to Anton Belov and (now) Pakarinen.

THE COVER PHOTO IS BACK!

I want to express my sincere thanks to Robert Andruchow (Owner, Designer) and Bryan Ly (web developer) of  Big Pixel Creative. After my ‘cover photo’ issue awhile ago, Robert extended an offer to help with the problem and with Bryan identified and fixed it. This blog is my baby, I’m very protective of it and honestly have been very sad about the cover photo problem (I spend a lot of time on the photo’s here) so doing this post felt SO good this afternoon.

Robert, Bryan, sincere thanks. You rock! And it goes without saying if you’re in the market for online creative genius, check out Big Pixel creative.

As always, thanks to Danny Chapman (who is working on a new design/look that will include mobile app capabilities and we might see that in the new year) for answering frantic and insane emails 24/7/365.  None of these men asked for a public acknowledgement, but I would be even more of a cad than I am if I didn’t pass along news of their great work and the return of the cover photo.

Music!

108 Responses to "NO. 5 PROSPECT (winter 2014): IIRO PAKARINEN"

Possible big news tomorrow from the big club re: Hall. “I think if morning skate goes as well as I think it will then I’ll be playing.” – Taylor Hall

2. Halfwise says:

Thank you as always, LT, for your hard work and great writing. It’s important (for MY sanity, at least) to have some good news and hope while the team tries to find its rhythm. This is the place I turn to for it.

If I could add one thing to Danny Chapman’s very long list of things to do, it would be to look into why the text and photos of this fine blog sometimes just stay black on an Android device and become visible only when I resize the text. Doesn’t happen all the time, didn’t happen for a while, sometimes corrects itself, and has been happening again in the last few days.

Or I could just get up and go to my desktop computer, if I am at home. Your music sounds better on it anyway.

3. blainer says:

Would have liked Pak to have gotten more than he has but he looks solid as a prospect. Would love to see Hall Dry Ebs or Hall with Dry and Purcell. RNH playing the way he has will give Eakins more line options for sure.

4. Bling says:

Looking at that list, it’s funny how much of a player’s story gets lost with the passage of time.

Doug Lynch had a nice junior career and was stellar in his first year in the AHL before sustaining some awful injury IIRC.

His game declined shortly thereafter.

We look back on him as a bust, but that’s probably a little unfair. Tragically unlucky, perhaps, both the player and the team.

Rob Schremp should have been in better shape in his early 20s. The org communicated that to him often, but he didn’t really take it seriously. Skating was the only thing that ever held him back, and he still managed to score at a decent clip as an NHLer, around 0.5 ppg.

Peckham is another guy who should’ve been in better shape.

Without trying too hard, that’s 3 guys who probably could’ve been decent NHLers had things been just a little different.

What a fine line it is, making it versus not.

New post at Because Oilers: The Yandle Treatment:

/spam

Marco Roy with an early goal tonight, now 18GP, 9-7-16 for the season. GREAT article WG, nice to see some progress hopefully it results in better boxcars.

Nurse with an assist, now 9GP, 2-9-11.

Nurse now 1-1-2 tonight, 9GP, 3-9-12 for the season.

9. VanOil says:

Woodguy:
    New post at Because Oilers:The Yandle Treatment:

/spam

Excellent well thought out article. Yes, given the Yandle treatment Schultz can do OK in the NHL. The reason I recommend trading him nearly everyday is I don’t trust MacT to pay him appropriately and I don’t trust Eakins to play him properly. Eakins is getting there with the zone starts but is miles away on total minutes granted. He is not what they think he is. Schultz would be a tremendous asset to use to fix the hole at Center or experience/skill gap on Defense.

On another topic, the pain of cheering for the Oilers is somewhat offset of the joy of cheering against the Leafs.

10. Магия 10 says:

E

VanOil: I don’t trust MacT to pay him appropriately and I don’t trust Eakins to play him properly.

Extend him and then give him the Yandle treatment.

Lander (Hunt, Williams) Lander is now 13, 3-8-11

Ewanyk (Khaira, Hunt) First goal of the year for Ewanyk

13. blainer says:

Laurent Brossoit …Three goals on 11 shots against.

14. Lucinius says:

blainer,

He has not looked good, from what little I’ve watched of the game.

15. Lucinius says:

Lander has looked good, though. Great effort on that pk shift.

Of course, he should look good.

16. blainer says:

Lucinius,

Goaltending.. and pitching.. Can’t win at either sport without quality.

17. Ryan says:

Two shout outs today.

First to suntori Hanzo who encouraged me to persevere thru season three of SOA.

Second, to a bottle of Rodney Strong Alexander valley Sonoma cab that glides down the throat like a slice of heaven.

18. VanOil says:

Toronto fans taking the apparel toss to the next level. They are throwing on the ice in Buffalo, where they out number the home fans.

19. Pouzar says:

Lander scores again. Nice rush/drop pass by Oiler fans fav whipping boy Kale Kessy.

Lander (Kessy). You know, I don’t think he will ever be a player, but Kessy is now 11, 3-3-6.

Lander now with two goals tonight, and 13, 4-8-12 but he’s basically trolling the fanbase with this NHL/AHL offense.

21. Pouzar says:

He looked good on that rush. He has improved big time. All we can ask.

22. Pouzar says:

Khaira has improved his speed/quickness/mobility big time to my eye.

23. Sevenseven says:

Please try Hall with Yak.

24. Ryan says:

Ryan:
    Two shout outs today.

First to suntori Hanzo who encouraged me to persevere thru season three of SOA.

Boys, I’m not going to lie. I am fortunate enough to earn a good living. I also have a penchant for a glass of wine or two or three or four on the weekends… Occasionally on the weekdays as well.

That was hands down 100% final answer the best glass of red wine under $50 and probably over that I’ve ever had. Certainly better than the slightly more expensive and also tasty, Rodney strong cab sav, Sonoma county 2012. The slightly cheaper, ‘Alexander valley’ version is vastly superior. And to all a good night!

25. Pouzar says:

Brossoit picking up his jock after getting deked on the breakaway.

26. Pouzar says:

Lander with 2 goals on 6 shots.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I can’t recall watching Brossoit play a strong game at the AHL level.

28. Pouzar says:

I love Drai…love him…but I would love to see Lander taking his spot.

29. Lucinius says:

Buffalo having a good night against Toronto, as well.. which is just… bliss.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Iowa has a Gogol and a Hegel on their team. Which… is hilarious.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I can’t recall watching Brossoit play a strong game at the AHL level.

He had one last week, but agree. Marginal prospect by eye and number.

Pouzar: He looked good on that rush. He has improved big time. All we can ask.

Looks like Moroz got a second assist on that goal, his first pro point.

33. Pouzar says:

Goals/gm Rank:

CAL: 5th (3.00)

CHI: 23rd (2.47)

*takes another sip of cab sav*

Platzer scores late, he’s 20GP, 9-18-27 this season.

35. Pouzar says:

Platzer scores late, he’s 20GP, 9-18-27 this season.

2 way Center with boxcars….yes please.
    Cautiously optimistic.

36. PaperKurtRussell says:

Ryan,

What’s your beef with Season 3? something against the Irish?? No spoiler please, I’m not quite done. 😉

37. Pouzar says:

PaperKurtRussell:
    Ryan,

What’s your beef with Season 3?something against the Irish??No spoiler please, I’m not quite done.

It was favorite season. *shrug*
    But anything over $15 for a bottle of vino is expensive pour moi! #justbugginRyan

38. LMHF#1 says:

Recall Ty Rimmer!!!

39. Bos8 says:

Pouzar:

Question

Did you try either of the Don David of the Argentines?

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lander is so comfortable and good at this level. He plays like he belongs here, like it’s his natural milieu.

41. Lucinius says:

I’ve never understood drinking wine.

But, then again.. I drink dirt cheap vodka from Ukraine/Russia. I’m not (completely) blind yet and it makes being an Oiler fan a fair bit more tolerable.

42. Pouzar says:

Bos8: Question

Did you try either ofthe Don David of the Argentines?

No I have not but I like the price point 🙂

I will try on the next trip. I love Malbecs and Cab Sav. Which should I try first?

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

C. Hamilton ties it up.

44. Pouzar says:

Lucinius:
    I’ve never understood drinking wine.

I didn’t either till I paired it with fresh homemade pasta made by Italian buddy. The rest is history.

EDIT: Tie game

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunt on the pp.
    barons lead late.
    lander with 3 points.

46. Lucinius says:

Nice clean face off win from Lander to get that Hunt powerplay goal (and Hunt had looked pretty meh up until that shot).

47. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    hunt on the pp.
    barons lead late.
    lander with 3 points.

AHL.com has got Lander credited with the goal. I missed it so not sure.

EDIT: they changed it to Hunt

48. Lucinius says:

Pouzar: AHL.com has got Lander credited with the goal. I missed it so not sure.

It was Hunt; blast from the point off a clean face off win. No one was even close to being able to deflect it.

49. Lucinius says:

Giordano hurt for the Flames? If true.. they are so screwed.

50. Pouzar says:

Lucinius:
    Giordano hurt for the Flames? If true.. they are so screwed.

Details?

51. Lucinius says:

Pouzar,

High stick on a follow through on a shot/pass and it got him in the eye. He was blinking it a lot and rushed off the ice. No idea how serious.

Edit: Just to clarify, Giordano rushed himself off the ice, not was rushed off. I’m an asshole and Flame-hater like any true Oiler fan, but.. I hope it isn’t serious — eye injuries are serious business.

52. OilLeak says:

Pitlick with six shots and no points, puts him at 3.6 sh% on the season. Funny enough, Pitlick isn’t shooting well below his career average in the AHL.

2011-12 5.4%
    2012-13 3.9%
    2013-14 8.0% (looks like he ran into some luck)
    2014-15 3.6% (so far)

I can’t see a NHL career from here, considering sh% takes a hit when moving up a league.

53. Pouzar says:

Lucinius:
    Pouzar,

Yeah shades of Berard. That would be just terrible. Hopefully he’s ok.

54. Lucinius says:

He looks fine; back on the ice to start the second.

55. Pouzar says:

Well Giordano is back.

I hate Martin Gelinas.

Romulus Apotheosis:

It’s exasperating. THE AAAA player.

57. Bos8 says:

Pouzar,

I like both but most go with the Malbec.

58. McSorley33 says:

Colorado, Columbus and even Buffalo win tonight…..

No problem with Jultz getting an Ozone push….I do have a problem with 25 min per night.

59. VanOil says:

Lowetide: It’s exasperating. THE AAAA player.

Quite obviously it is a mental block. Maybe he should spend some time with Dr. Amirault. Which makes him exhibit A in not rushing young players into the NHL. Good thing the Oilers have learned this lesson.

60. Bos8 says:

Lucinius:
    I’ve never understood drinking wine.

Ahem

What’s vodka in Russia is Horilka in Ukraine. The first is potato, the second is grain aand cheap sometimes potato.

Potato vodka makes for a mean drunk, Horilka is more a good time. Cue Ukrainian wedding – You eat, you drink, you dance and repeat.

61. Pouzar says:

Bos8:
    Pouzar,

I like both but most go with the Malbec.

Will try thx again

62. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: It’s exasperating. THE AAAA player.

94 games in the NHL. #justsayin

63. Lucinius says:

Bos8,

I know the difference. It wasn’t an either/or. I drink dirt cheap vodka from Ukraine and Russia. I drink the former when I want cheap with less blindness. I drink the latter when I want cheap and a good twelve plus hours of coma.

Pouzar: 94 games in the NHL. #justsayin

Not 20 of them effective, though. Maybe not 10.

65. Lucinius says:

Lander is a player i still cheer for. Last season should have been when he first saw NHL action as a winger to Gordon as an apprentice. Unfortunately, the Oilers screwed up his development. I still think there’s an NHLer there.. I just don’t think it will be for the Oilers.

66. McSorley33 says:

Have not seen him play but Ekblad played 20 min against Sharks and had 2 assists and was plus 3.

Then he played almost 25min against Islanders and had a goal and was a plus player.

9 points in 13 games.

Granted, it is nice to have Campbell as a partner.

But Ekblad is 2nd in Panther scoring. Campbell only has 4 points.

67. Lucinius says:

McSorley33,

Yes, but if he was an Oiler he’d be missing most of this season with a shoulder injury.

68. McSorley33 says:

Justin Schultz has 7 points.

69. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Not 20 of them effective, though. Maybe not 10.

He should be in Drai’s spot. Playing soft minutes with consistent NHL caliber linemates.

70. Pouzar says:

Lucinius:

This.

Lowetide: Not 20 of them effective, though. Maybe not 10.

Lander has never been put in a position to succeed. He was damned unlucky to get hurt during Krueger’s year.

They could run Hendricks, Lander, Joensuu as the 4th line, and play Gordon up the roster.

Hall/Pouliot, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle
    Pouliot/Perron Arcobello, Yakupov (soft minutes, OZ)
    Perron/Hall, Gordon, Purcell
    Hendricks, Lander, Joensuu

Thanks LT, and thanks for letting me spam your site with links.

If we use Yandle as the bench mark then Schultz’ +1.39 RelCor with +18.67 RelZS is disappointing.

His results are miles better for sure, but at +18.67RelZS his RelCor should be much better.

The number of Oilers who have been impacted by Joey Moss is, well every damn one of them. \

74. McSorley33 says:

Pouzar: This.

75. McSorley33 says:

Woodguy: Thanks LT, and thanks for letting me spam your site with links.

Yes, good article.

Thanks

76. Pouzar says:

McSorley33: What about making him a Gordon protege….study, learn, replicate. Gordon turns 32 I believe next year…

Anisimov is back playing for CBJ.

Plays 17min, gets a point and goes 65% on the dot on his first game back.

CBJ now running:

Johansen, Anisimov, Jenner, Chaput as C’s.

When Dubinksy gets back Anisimov might shake loose for a scoring winger.

Move out Perron, move Saddle to LW.

4-Anisimov-10
    67-93-14
    29-26-16
    23-20-6

I like that a lot.

Anisimov is the goods.

Pouzar: Perhaps. But thing is with Lander is if you knew nothing of his past and watched the game tonight and looked at his AHL boxcars you would say he is developing pretty nicely. I think there is a player here.

79. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: I think he could definitely help the Oilers but he doesn’t piss a drop offensively in the NHL. He could help the PK now, but you still have to score a little.

Pouzar: In 94 games when his most common linemates by TOI are Ben Eager and Lennart Petrell I am not willing to make any generalizations on his offensive game in the NHL. The kid hasn’t been given anything remotely close to a push in the NHL.

And yet we are here. The Oilers had a window to recall Lander early this season and chose Yakimov. I don’t think he’s the obvious recall choice now, although I believe he’s the best one (at C).

81. Ice Sage says:

Hmmmmm

Flames beating a team that beat the Oilers.

Wish I could erase the lifelong hatred for that franchise because they are playing the tenacious, smart hockey that should be in the CIty of Champions

82. Kmart99 says:

Yeah, Lander’s next call up could be his last with the Oil if he doesn’t produce.

83. Bling says:

Question:

Can Leon Draisatl do what Anton Lander is doing in the AHL?

Keep in mind that Nuge put up 1 PPG in the AHL as a 19 year old and 2nd year pro.

That is a tough, tough thing to do in a very good league.

LT, to be honest I’m not convinced at all that Lander is a AAAA player.

You give him the OZS and linemates that Draisatl is getting and he will be productive, IMO.

84. Kmart99 says:

Hall back tomorrow? He sounded pretty optimistic. Curious to see how the line up shakes out if Hall is in.

85. Bling says:

He has always had garbage for linemates.

Riley Nash has not put up half the offensive numbers that Lander has in the AHL, is 2 years older, and is now helping the Canes.

Look at Nyqvist or Tatar on the Wings.

Lander is right there with all these guys, and he should be getting his 30 game shot with good line mates.

My bet is he could blow Drai’s production in that spot out of the water.

Bling:
    Question:

Can Leon Draisatl do what Anton Lander is doing in the AHL?

That is a tough, tough thing to do in a very good league.

LT, to be honest I’m not convinced at all that Lander is a AAAA player.

I don’t think he’s going to get that opportunity. And I’m certain he could exceed Leon’s production, but that isn’t really a selling point.

Nichushkin to undergo hip surgery, gone four months. Wow

Was searching the CBJ website for news about Dubinsky (couldn’t find anything new. was 4-6 weeks with abdominal surgery 7 weeks ago…)

Did stumble up this and thought it interesting that its on an official NHL team site: http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=99406&cmpid=cbj-dropdown-news

Advanced Stat 101.

Good for CBJ.

89. Pouzar says:

Bling: He has always had garbage for linemates.

Look at Nyqvist or Tatar on the Wings.

My bet is he could blow Drai’s production in that spot out of the water.

Excellent points here. And sadly he won’t get his shot here.

Flames are full value in this game.

60%CF in first
    51% in 2nd

Johnny Gaudreau leading them at 76%….

Last year Lander’s most common forward mate was Perron at 99 minutes out of Lander’s 282 5v5 min last year (tiny samples, but its all we have)

Their GoalsFor was an unreal low 14% with a 42% corsi

Perron had a 49% GF and 45% CF away from Lander.

That’s probably what sunk him in MacT’s eyes.

That’s pretty abysmal results.

I wonder if CBJ does Perron+Lander for Anisimov and turn Lander into the next Anisimov?

92. Ice Sage says:

Woodguy: Flames are full value in this game.60%CF in first51% in 2ndJohnny Gaudreau leading them at 76%….

93. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

Some score effects beginning to come into play now it seems. Ott is evening the numbers in a push to get back in the game.

Slowly noticing a trend in CGY’s numbers, they are improving if only once every four or five games.

94. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

Flames’ game data thus far this season.

Ice Sage: It irks me but deserves closer examination: how are they so much better, results-wise and ‘seen them good’-wise, than the ‘much more talented’ Oilers…? Paging Malcolm Gladwell

To be fair OTT is 27th in Score Adjusted Fenwick.

They have an awful D and the Oiler just didn’t take advantage.

96. "Frank The Dog" says:

Really, it’s coaching.
    Lander’s mental block at the NHL level: Coaching
    Goalies that are good elsewhere, good when they first start here and become bad: Coaching
    Team unable to sustain 60 minutes of play including slow starts: Coaching
    What makes a so-so roster beat superior skill every time: Coaching

Dallas has compensated for a lot of his mistakes, which earns him some slack for sure, but all of the above are at the feet of Dallas and his Coaching team.

He’s fixed a lot, he needs to fix this before it turns even more nasty in the forthcoming WC games starting Sunday.

Calgary Flames shooting % by player (all situations):

Raphael Diaz 0
    Brian McGrattan 0
    Max Reinhart 0
    Michael Ferland 0

98. Backhand says:

Woodguy:
    Anisimov is back playing for CBJ.

Plays 17min, gets a point and goes 65% on the dot on his first game back.

CBJ now running:

Johansen, Anisimov, Jenner, Chaput as C’s.

When Dubinksy gets back Anisimov might shake loose for a scoring winger.

Move out Perron, move Saddle to LW.

4-Anisimov-10
    67-93-14
    29-26-16
    23-20-6

I like that a lot.

Anisimov is the goods.

Ribeiro, Roy, Fisher, Gaustad.

They are playing Colin Wilson and Craig Smith on the wings and have Jarnkrok playing C right now. I believe they were drafted as center’s, and can play there but please correct me if you know different. Wilson is having a down start to the season (with points), and might be pried out of Nash? Not sure with their hot start to the season.

Wilson appears to be doing well with corsi (according to BTN) and might but a buy low(er) scenario.

99. VanOil says:

Woodguy: I really need to mortgage my house and find an over/under bet that has them on a straight line for 103pts and bet the whole shot on the under.

If you find it share so we can all pile on.

What do you think would be a tempting line on the Oilers to bet the over? 78pts feels about fair, 10 points above the Oilers current 68pts pace. I doubt I would have the courage to bet the over on that line.

VanOil: If you find it share so we can all pile on.

Unless they start to get league average goaltending I’d stay away from 78pts.

Oilers still 30th in PDO with 971

5v5 SH% 7.37 (21st in NHL)
    5v5 SV% .897 (30th in NHL)

Calgary is playing the Ol’ PDO switcharoo.

They had a high PDO because of a .944 SV%, now they have a high PDO with 10.16 5v5 SH%

Calgary is 3rd in PDO (102.77) with:

5v5 SH% 10.16 (1st)
    5v5 SV% .926 (13th)

Backhand: Have you looked at Nashville as well? When Fisher comes back later this month they will have:

Ribeiro, Roy, Fisher, Gaustad.

They are playing Colin Wilson and Craig Smith on the wings and have Jarnkrok playing C right now.I believe they were drafted as center’s, and can play there but please correct me if you know different.Wilson is having a down start to the season (with points), and might be pried out of Nash? Not sure with their hot start to the season.

You forgot the C they are most likely to trade, and that’s Joikenen. (who is also playing wing right now)

I don’t rate Wilson too much. Oilers don’t need an experiment, they need a sure thing.

Anisimov has a track record of near 2pt/60 5v5 against middle – good comp and that is gold.

He’s expendable in CBJ because Johansen and Dubinksy can play the two toughest comp and they want Jenner at C too.

They seriously lack scoring wingers, and the Oilers have those to trade.

102. frjohnk says:

Columbus has 8 players that are injured right now!

I think a Perron vs Anisimov trade would be a great fit.

Same age,

Anisimov cap hit is 3.28M
    Perron cap hit is 3.8M
    Both UFA after next year.

Perron has a bit more offense and more grit

Anisimov has decent offense, is trusted more in the D zone and is a big body.

Edmonton has strength on the wings and needs a mid 6 center
    Columbus has strength down the middle and needs a mid 6 winger.

Match made in heaven or what?
    Edit: Just remembered this is Edmonton, its usually more like purgatory.

103. Yeti says:

Lowetide: I can’t recall watching Brossoit play a strong game at the AHL level.

He had one last week, but agree. Marginal prospect by eye and number.

You just hate him because he got your Smid traded.

104. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy:
    Anisimov is back playing for CBJ.

Plays 17min, gets a point and goes 65% on the dot on his first game back.

CBJ now running:

Johansen, Anisimov, Jenner, Chaput as C’s.

When Dubinksy gets back Anisimov might shake loose for a scoring winger.

Move out Perron, move Saddle to LW.

4-Anisimov-10
    67-93-14
    29-26-16
    23-20-6

I like that a lot.

Anisimov is the goods.

That would be a smarter move, although I would prefer Leon to go back to junior and bank a year of free agency given this is not a playoff team. Parkinen and Lander can cover the rest of this year.

Therefore the Oilers will trade Yak for Bailey.

105. Gret99zky says:

Woodguy:
    Was searching the CBJ website for news about Dubinsky (couldn’t find anything new.was 4-6 weeks with abdominal surgery 7 weeks ago…)

Advanced Stat 101.

Good for CBJ.

Nice find.

I’ve always believed that Edmonton is the cradle of advanced stats.

Other teams fans make plans for what bar they are going to meet at to watch the first round of the playoffs.

Oilers fans invent a new metric to find the “process” in another season of total sucktitude.

Yeti: You just hate him because he got your Smid traded.

Ha! Well played.

107. SoCaloil says:

Very much looking forward to the new mobile app LT
    Read your blog every day on the train going to work
    The current layout works but a mobile experience will be much improved
    Cheers

108. Zeabs93 says:

Nurse now 1-1-2 tonight, 9GP, 3-9-12 for the season.

Wow, he’s posting some outstanding numbers offensively. Has there been a decline at all in his defensive game at all, as a result?