OILERS RECALL STEVE PINIZZOTTO

The Edmonton Oilers recalled Steve Pinizotto this afternoon, meaning the roster is now at 23 (with four centers, two goalies, seven defensemen and 10 wingers). The likely spot for Pinizzotto to fill would be 4line RW (Joensuu’s spot) and that may happen Wednesday night against the Vancouver Canucks. Craig MacTavish acquired Pinizzotto in a deal with Florida (for Ryan Martindale) in January.

Pinizzotto is what they used to call an ‘energy player’ and looked good in an audition last fall. We talked about him as a training camp hopeful back in the summer. He could be here for a week, or a month. I don’t think he’s going to keep a job long term, but said the same thing about Ryan Jones.

28 Responses to "OILERS RECALL STEVE PINIZZOTTO"

1. theres oil in virginia says:

Is Joensuu injured? I wondered if maybe they would sit Joensuu from time-to-time to keep him healthy, and put Iiro in his spot. I guess not.

2. blainer says:

I guess this is the way the oilers try to fix the scoring problem. Wow this is starting to turn into a comedy show with top notch Clowns running things. I’m sure they have decided that McDavid or Eichel is the way to go. Just as well as the season is done now anyway.

3. blainer says:

Eleven minutes and change for Yak last night. Play him or trade him. We are at the 20 game mark and No breakout for Yak yet. I don’t think Yak gets traded anytime soon though as he is Katz’s boy.

4. RexLibris says:

Pinizotto has played well against Vancouver in the past and the Oilers are probably planning an eye-for-an-eye matchup with him.

He’s a better bet than Gazdic, so I guess we’ll have to see if both play.

Hendricks, Pinizotto and Gordon as a 4th line?

RexLibris:

He’s a better bet than Gazdic, so I guess we’ll have to see if both play.

Hendricks, Pinizotto and Gordon as a 4th line?

6. regwald says:

The other thought is that Hendricks might not be quite 100% either. He blocked a couple shots last night. Although I think replacing Joensuu is probably the decision.

7. stevezie says:

blainer: I guess this is the way the oilers try to fix the scoring problem.

C’mon now, you’re being silly. He’s not taking Eberle or Perron’s shifts.

I think there is general agreement the Oilers don’t cause enough problems at the front of the net. They’ve seen Iiro, if they want to audition someone else I don’t see the harm (even if I do see Iiro winning the race).

The preferred move would be to swap Purcell, who is good but probably the most duplicated player on the roster, to a team who needs a good pp passer in exchange for a more skilled version of Pinzotto. Sadly I don’t see Purcell as an especially hot commodity.

8. Yeti says:

Lowetide: Yes, that’s my thought. Joensuu hasn’t been as impactful, this is a good time to have a quick look-see.

Yeti: Surely it’s best understood as a preparatory move to facilitate the 3-fer-1 trade that you’ve sagely predicted since 2007…

10. raventalon40 says:

Lowetide: When it finally happens, I want everyone to come and post FINALLY on the blog. I’ll be long dead by then, but will know.

There’s a Pronger waiting out there… somewhere

11. VanOil says:

It is nice to have an etiquette guide for that glorious day. May I live to see it I promise to deliver.

Pinizzotto has had a hard luck career I hope he gets some more NHL games.

What time last year did the Management/Ownership apologies start? The only one I recall was the Seattle MNF apology but that was more arena related than poor play related. Is there a set timing to such things based on the time of year and points, or is it more of a feel thing? I feel we should have this down pat going into year 9’s apology. The content can also be entertaining; Arrogance, Tears, and Excuses could all make an appearance.

12. 99thoilerfan says:

” Pinizzotto is what they used to call an ‘energy player’..”

Any relation to Stan Weir ?

13. haters says:

Yawn…
    Bold moves …
    Right direction….
    Zzzzzz….

14. bendelson says:

stevezie,

Did you make it to a Smalls show this past weekend?
    Good times.

raventalon40,

I can’t believe I might actually owe you money in December…
    Was it a complete lack of faith in Fasth or Chabot that lead you to the wager?

15. RexLibris says:

Are you in heaven? Or Hell?

16. RexLibris says:

VanOil,

I’m having Jimmy Swaggart flashbacks here.

RexLibris: Question, LT: you die and the first person you see on the other side is Sam Pollock.

Are you in heaven? Or Hell?

Is there a third choice?

18. BrazilianOil says:

Hendricks as a C with Joensu and Pinizoto and Gordon taking Drai spot ?

BrazilianOil:
    Hendricks as a C with Joensu and Pinizoto and Gordon taking Drai spot ?

Yep. Makes sense.

20. haters says:

Poor lander

21. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Is there a third choice?

Maybe, but it probably involves a busload of Canuck fans, soooo….purgatory?

22. RISTOOOOO SILTANEN!!!! says:

RexLibris:
    VanOil,

I’m having Jimmy Swaggart flashbacks here.

Throw in a little speaking in tongues and you’ve got Pastor Robert Tilton.

23. Ray says:

BrazilianOil:
    Hendricks as a C with Joensu and Pinizoto and Gordon taking Drai spot ?

This…. if it works… fantastic. with his work ethic Gordon would match Arco or Drai for point production. With a bonus of better pick retrieval

24. SoCaloil says:

haters,

We can only have one of Arco or Lander

25. stevezie says:

bendelson,

Does anyone else get the sense that Bendelson knows you in real life, but has chosen to keep his true identity a secret?

Tragically I couldn’t make it this weekend, but speaking of reunions I did catch The Constantines last month, and it was hella fantastic.

26. gcw_rocks says:

So, instead of claiming Harding, the oilers call up this guy? This is too funny.

27. gcw_rocks says:

“the Minnesota Wild activated the 30-year-old goaltender from injured reserve Monday and immediately placed him on waivers, ”

If only MacT had been smart enough to do the same with Gazdic.

28. wintoon says:

In the movie “The Legend of Bagger Vance” there is a tremendous line. “Golf is a game you cannot win, you can only play”.

As an Oiler fan, stuck in the mindless grind of ineptitude, it seems that if you substitute the word hockey for golf the saying resonates.