NO. 7 PROSPECT (winter 2014): JUJHAR KHAIRA

The Edmonton Oilers are doing an excellent job of adding big forwards to their prospect cluster, but they need these men to be fast enough to play at the NHL level and skilled enough to contribute at least a little offensively. In placing Jujhar Khaira at No. 7 overall, the bet is he’ll be able to do both.

PREVIOUSLY NUMBER SEVEN ON THE WINTER LIST

• December 2004: D Jeff Woywitka (278)
  • December 2005: L Alexei Mikhnov (2)
  • December 2006: G Devan Dubnyk (171)
  • December 2007: C Riley Nash (130)
  • December 2008: D Jeff Petry (256)
  • December 2009: D Jeff Petry (256)
  • December 2010: C Tyler Pitlick (10)
  • December 2011: D Martin Gernat (0)
  • December 2012: C Jujhar Khaira (0)
  • December 2013: D Anton Belov (57)

Jeff Petry is an absolute success story, I remember Guy Flaming was always strong on his potential but my list had him pegged as ‘one in a group’ with Taylor Chorney and Cody Wild. Asked and answered, Petry is an actual NHL player. Riley Nash took his time but he’s also emerging as a legit NHL player, and Devan Dubnyk is repairing the damage last year did to his career. Recent products like Pitlick, Gernat and Khaira are still writing their stories.

khaira

• Redline: we believe this kid could be the biggest/best sleeper of the entire draft. Prince George is so far off the beaten path teams don’t even travel there for WHL games, much less BCHL contests, so he gets zero exposure. But this kid is big, mean, aggressive, nasty, and guess what… he can score too. Does the dirty work in the corners, bangs bodies and wins battles, and loves to initiate heavy contact. Powerful stride with great balance and gets leverage on his hits. Has surprisingly soft hands and puck skills with playmaking ability. Creates lots of space for smaller teammates and makes everyone braver. Very raw defensively.

POINTS BY DISCIPLINE BEFORE TURNING PRO, JUJHAR KHAIRA

PLAYER EV PP PK TOTAL
KHAIRA 2012-13 (NCAA) 37, 2-14-16 .432 37, 4-4-8 .216 37, 0-0-0 37, 6-18-24
KHAIRA 2013-14 (WHL) 59, 9-17-26 .441 59, 7-10-17 .288 59, 0-0-0 59, 16-27-43

His NHLE’s over three years (82, 6-11-17; 82, 5-18-23 and 82, 6-10-16) before turning pro suggested we’re looking at a PF who has some issues offensively. Although the Oilers have better offensive players I’ve ranked below Khaira in this year’s Top 20, the combination of skills offered by the big man are compelling. There’s also a chance he develops more offense (for instance, he has been used at times by Todd Nelson as the F in front of the net on the power play) but we’ve surrounded him as an offensive player with the equivalencies.

PREVIOUS TOP 20 RANKING

• Summer 2012: 15
  • Winter 2012: 7
  • Summer 2013: 6
  • Winter 2013: 5
  • Summer 2014: 10
  • Winter 2014: 7

The Oilers spent much of 2012 trying to find a big forward with enough skill to play in the top 6F. I think the idea was ‘get a guy who could develop and then if he doesn’t we can still find a use for him in the bottom 6F’ and Khaira looks like he’s on the way to covering the second bet.

draisaitl khaira young stars

14-15

WESTCOTT KHAIRA YAKIMOVWHAT THEY’RE SAYING NOW

• Todd Nelson: “He thinks the game really well on the ice and when you couple that with the size and skill he has, it’s going to be a very bright future for him. He’s an intelligent guy. He knows what he has to do to get better and he works hard at it. With his size and maturity and the way he approaches the game, who knows where his top level is, but I think the future is looking really positive for him.”
  • Todd Nelson: “We’ve seen flashes of what JJ can be. He just needs time to mature. We’re trying to mould JJ into a two-way centreman, somebody who can kill penalties, late in games trying to preserve a game. He has the size. He just needs experience.” Source
  • Neal Livingston, Tend The Farm“I see him as a Hartikainen 2.0. If you were concerned about Hartikainen’s foot speed, Khaira has no problems. He’s a quick skater, he’s very fast and good on faceoffs.”

khaira ferguson4THE FUTURE

I have Khaira at No. 7 despite clear question marks about him offensively. His OKC Barons numbers this fall (13GP, 1-2-3) reflect a lack of offense, although his estimated time-on-ice (via Eric Rodgers at Tend The Farm) is about 12 minutes a game. All of his points have come at even strength, so we can estimate his AHL 5×5 points-per-60 is about 1.15-1.50 (depending on special teams TOI). If he can develop even a little offensively, this could be a contributing player over the next decade.

2012 NHL DRAFT

• Nail Yakupov, No. 1 overall. Young Russian winger has been a disappointment so far in his career, but possesses tremendous talent and is making progress. He’s one of the most naturally talented players in the organization. Graduated to the NHL.
  • Mitch Moroz, No. 32 overall. Big winger with some skill just turned pro. Not playing a lot so far. Inside the Top 20.
  • Jujhar Khaira, No. 63 overall. If he can improve his speed, he’ll have a career. If he can improve his offense, he’ll have a long one. No. 7 overall prospect.
  • Daniil Zharkov, No. 91 overall. Big Russian winger has been lost in the hinterlands back home. Outside the Top 20.
  • Erik Gustafsson, No. 93 overall. Productive defender in Europe, Oilers passed on opportunity to sign him. No longer in the organization.
  • Joey Laleggia, No. 123 overall. Undersized but splendid puck-moving defender. Candidate for winter 20.
  • John McCarron, No. 153 overall. Big winger playing his final college season. Candidate for winter 20.

84 Responses to "NO. 7 PROSPECT (winter 2014): JUJHAR KHAIRA"

1. leadfarmer says:

So MacT says that he was close to keeping him in the NHL, and Nelson plays him 12 min a night in the AHL. Seems like a pretty big difference of opinion

2. oliveoilers says:

leadfarmer:
    So MacT says that he was close to keeping him in the NHL, and Nelson plays him 12 min a night in the AHL.Seems like a pretty big difference of opinion

I would suggest his role is a 12min a night player in the AHL. He’s destined for 4th, maybe 3rd at a pinch line player in the NHL. 7-8 mins tops. Still useful, but not Boyd Gordon useful.

3. "Frank The Dog" says:

Forgive my naivety I thought when Eakins referred to how classy the fans were I didn’t realize it had come to this. That has to be one of the most horrible experiences any player can experience in any sport.
    I’m hoping that they use this as motivation to earn their massive paychecks when skating out on the ice to practice or play.

4. skidplate says:

Stampeders were the top team in the league. See if they can win it next week.

5. John Chambers says:

OilClog:

Does it get worse then this..

I don’t know what to make of this. The fans wouldn’t boo if the team wasn’t completely outmatched, but the players themselves have to feel shame for their performance.

I can foresee a lot of guys wanting out. This has become a macabre carnival.

It’s amazing Kevin Lowe has a job. Katz has to rectify this situation and purge the management of this team. It may not have to touch MacT or even Eakins, but there has to be a new direction for this club.

These fans are not being respectful, and should be ashamed. But so should the team. I can’t believe it’s come to this.

6. HiddenDarts says:

OilClog:

Does it get worse then this..

That was the most excruciating sports-related clip I’ve ever seen. This has got to be some kind of existential low.

Those fans were like 10 feet from them! I just can’t believe it.

oliveoilers: I would suggest his role is a 12min a night player in the AHL.He’s destined for 4th, maybe 3rd at a pinch line player in the NHL.7-8 mins tops.Still useful, but not Boyd Gordon useful.

8. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

I’ve noticed you’ve toned down your expectations for this player a little, LT. I know offense has always been the question mark with him, but you used to think 3rd line C for him. Seems pretty clear 4C is more realistic, and if he could be a bigger Gordon, well, music. But I don’t see it.

I think he will most definitely get some at bats with the Oilers. I think he will look better to tired Oilers’ fans eyes than he is because of his size and grit. I think he’d struggle to make some other teams in the league, though. My hope is that it goes more than a cup of coffee and we see the 200 game mark with him, but I think odds are 50/50 at best of that happening. Kid has clearly made a habit of proving doubters wrong so I hope he can bring a next gear, but he’s shown zero offensive ability everywhere he’s played. His box cars in OKC this year are in need of significant 2nd half improvement for me to think he will pan out.

9. cabbiesmacker says:

I feel really bad for those guys having to make that walk of shame. Kids like Nuge and Yakupov don’t deserve that at all.

Conversely Lowe, MacTavish and Pendergast should have to do it 6 times a day.

10. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

cabbiesmacker:

Conversely Lowe, MacTavish and Pendergast should have to do it 6 times a day.

11. oliveoilers says:

Lowetide: I think Gordon is a very good comp. I don’t think Gordon ever scored 30 points in an NHL season, but he’s been useful. That’s Khaira’s role if he makes it.

These are the players that work quietly and efficiently on a good team. Can’t get enough of ’em. They hold their value, too. If we can grow them without spending picks like pennies, all to the good. The way I see it, THESE are the guys that chop wood and carry water. The it’s up to the skill what to do with them. I’ve always maintained that, although I realise everyone has defensive responsibilities, if we’re relying on Hall, Ebs and Yak to be defensive forwards, we’re doing it wrong. Guys like Gordon let them do their magic.

12. oliveoilers says:

Also, Gordon has been music, while the rest of the team has been, well, muzak.

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:

Each year is a better view. Khaira has two offensive chances to improve.

1. Power play time. He COULD get lucky and find a coach who uses him to block out the sun. Nelson used him a little like that last year late and in the postseason.
    2. He played with such a button-down team defensively in the WHL that it obscured his offense some. I looked at that here:

I think he’s definitely a bottom 6F, though. And yes, I think last season downgraded his offensive potential.

14. frjohnk says:

I hope there are classy “tier 1” that see this video.

So when the oilers turn it around, and they will, the true fans can give those players an ovation.

I feel sorry for the coaching staff and players that they had to endure that.

As much as I upset yet again last night. The last thing I would have done was boo the team.

Confidence is at an all time low. They needed words of encouragement at the moment.

Those “fans” disgust me.

15. oliveoilers says:

frjohnk:
    I hope there are classy “tier 1″ that see this video.

I feel sorry for the coaching staff and players that they had to endure that.

Those “fans” disgust me.

Unfortunately, we live in the real world. Play like dog poop, get treated like dog poop. By the same logic, if they somehow win Lord Stanley next year, would you want to see them demur on accepting the cup and say “we were just doing our job”? You take the cheers when you win, the shit when you don’t. It’s crappy I know, but let me tell you, this is NOTHING compared to soccer fans in Europe. There they make personal chants about your family that 60,000 people sing all at once.

16. hags9k says:

frjohnk,

Agreed.

Imagine if those fans would have cheered them and tried to rally their spirits instead. Not saying they go out and win out the rest of the season but they really do need to know the fans have their back. Instead they are at their back, but with knives out.

The fans need to do their part to turn this around and make this a place players want to win. It’s not easy with the dogshit hockey we have had to endure forever, but this team needs great fans and that was not it.

I know the fans are waiting for the team to start humming before the rink atmosphere gets rocking, but it is a two way street. Maybe if the rink was a playoff atmosphere for no reason, maybe we play a notch better and pick up a few more points.

I’m just saying, I know everyone is exhausted right now, management, coaches, players, fans. Everyone is frustrated. But this is also an opportunity for the fans to build something from rock bottom. So why not pack the barn and go nuts and have fun be loud and see if we could actually help the team.

Seriously, why not hype a weekend game in the media a bit and rock rexall. Pre game festivities, bust out the signs, face paint, orange wigs and coveralls and whatnot, thunderous and relentless Let’s Go Oilers Chants for 60 minutes. Bring it like it’s game 7. Even if it ends up another miserable loss, at least it might give the fans and city something to be proud of for a night, bringing the noise and pride for a 30th placer. Who knows might even light a fire.

Or just get drunk in the concourse and swear at them on their way off from another brutal game. But that’s got to be getting old.

17. Caramel Obvious says:

In other news, Milan Lucic is an awful human being. A complete thug on the ice, he has the nerve to start a fight, and finally someone stands up to him, and he calls that guy gutless. Unbelievable. Milan Lucic is a miserable, worthless, piece of garbage. He intentionally injures other players on a regular basis. The sooner he is out of the league the better.

18. frjohnk says:

hags9k:
    frjohnk,

Agreed.

Imagine if those fans would have cheered them and tried to rally their spirits instead.Not saying they go out and win out the rest of the season but they really do need to know the fans have their back.Instead they are at their back, but with knives out.

The fans need to do their part to turn this around and make this a place players want to win.It’s not easy with the dogshit hockey we have had to endure forever, but this team needs great fans and that was not it.

I know the fans are waiting for the team to start humming before the rink atmosphere gets rocking, but it is a two way street.Maybe if the rink was a playoff atmosphere for no reason, maybe we play a notch better and pick up a few more points.

I’m just saying, I know everyone is exhausted right now, management, coaches, players, fans.Everyone is frustrated.But this is also an opportunity for the fans to build something from rock bottom.So why not pack the barn and go nuts and have fun be loud and see if we could actually help the team.

Or just get drunk in the tunnel and swear at them on their way off from another brutal game.But that’s got to be getting old.

Yup

19. frjohnk says:

I bet MacT called numerous FA centers this past summer and I’m sure they knowing that Edmonton has fans that cross the line sometimes like last night said no, even if MacT overpaid.

If Petry was looking for one more reason not to sign here, he got it last night from the fans.

20. oliveoilers says:

frjohnk:

Pure hyperbole. It’s starting to sound like Jasmine in here. Edmonton is no better, or worse, than other hockey markets with the exceptions of TO, MTL and NYR. Whatever the problem is, it isn’t, nor shall it ever be, the fans. When a franchise’s executives go down the route of blaming the fans for it’s failures, you can count on one hand the number of days they keep their jobs. Even they’re not so stupid as to bite the hand that feeds. We shouldn’t be any different. This is the very reason that if a coach talks of accountability, he darn well better not be being hypocritical otherwise it manifests itself thus.

21. hags9k says:

frjohnk,

I agree. Tough for the fans to remain completely innocent and call for everybody to be fired and traded when that’s what we are bringing to the table.

What FA wants to come to that? It all plays a part in this giant toilet swirl that is Oilers hockey right now.

(For the record I still want everyone fired and traded.)

22. Ryan says:

frjohnk:

You’re a great poster, but. I think that you’re off the mark here. I think crappy organization, team, and then weather trump some pissed off paying fans.

I wonder if Balysma would walk into this powder keg.

23. hags9k says:

oliveoilers,

I’m in no way blaming the fans for this mess, I’m just saying that the fans of the team, and in particular the fans in the rink, could step their game up.

And clearly, every little bit could help right now.

24. Caramel Obvious says:

The fans are absolutely a problem. The best thing this organization does is ignore the fans. If you don’t agree with me go over to oilersnation sometime. If you think things are bad now imagine if the team listened to those people.

leadfarmer:

Nelson has 4 lines in OKC. And they typically play back-to-back nights, sometimes back-to-back-to-back. So ice time distribution is different.

26. cabbiesmacker says:

I do think that what Jagr said about the Oilers in an interview prior to the Jersey game has some merit.

“They have a lot of players with offense. Maybe too many the same”

27. Ryan says:

Caramel Obvious:
    The fans are absolutely a problem.The best thing this organization does is ignore the fans.If you don’t agree with me go over to oilersnation sometime.If you think things are bad now imagine if the team listened to those people.

I agree that the fans are the problem, but not for the same reason as you.

Face reality. We’re Ballard’s Leafs.

The reason that there’s no accountability in this organization is obvious. Bums in seats no matter how bad the on ice product is…

If Katz felt the financial pain of his buddies collective ineptitude, this mess would have been cleaned up long ago.

28. Gret99zky says:

oliveoilers: Pure hyperbole.It’s starting to sound like Jasmine in here.Edmonton is no better, or worse, than other hockey markets with the exceptions of TO, MTL and NYR.Whatever the problem is, it isn’t, nor shall it ever be, the fans.When a franchise’s executives go down the route of blaming the fans for it’s failures, you can count on one hand the number of days they keep their jobs.Even they’re not so stupid as to bite the hand that feeds.We shouldn’t be any different.This is the very reason that if a coach talks of accountability, he darn well better not be being hypocritical otherwise it manifests itself thus.

Good post.

Although I don’t like what I saw I acknowledge the fact that those fans paid a lot of money to be entertained and weren’t. They let the players know.

Ryan makes a good point:

29. ohhell says:

frjohnk:
    I hope there are classy “tier 1″ that see this video.

I feel sorry for the coaching staff and players that they had to endure that.

Those “fans” disgust me.

To be fair, the Oiler’s traditionally get plenty of love from the Tier 1 fans walking down that pathway. This is simply an indictment of the emotional state of the fan base. I think this has more upside than downside provided it remains an infrequent event. Those people in the lower bowl are paying $200 plus a ticket in many cases – game after game.

Disclosure warning: I am a tier 3 fan (does that exist?) since I pay for season tickets but don’t attend the games. I haven’t been able to conjure up the gumption to let go of my seats, but no longer wish to commit the five hours to watch them play live. I continue to invest as a long play and understand that I am part of the problem.

Cheers.

30. oliveoilers says:

Caramel Obvious:

What problem, exactly, are the fans? Where has anyone said, anywhere, that they should have a serious input into the upper executive decision making within this hockey team? No. But they do pay the bills. So if you are an owner, and you are serious about making money, it’s probably a safe bet to at least pretend you’re paying attention. I’ll simplify even further: No fans = 0 dollars. 0 dollars = 0 hockey team. I’ll leave you to do the transposition. We are all ‘those people’, whether we’re as smart as we think we are or not. Unless, of course, you subscribe to ‘those people’ being untermensch.

31. hags9k says:

Gret99zky:

Although I don’t like what I saw I acknowledge the fact that those fans paid a lot of money to be entertained and weren’t.They let the players know.

But isn’t that just the fan equivalent of “off the glass and out”? We can be better than that.

Question: So euphemisms for the “s” word like “coach killer” are apparently okay? If the point is couched in code words and obfuscated with bafflegab, because people don’t like straight talk.

The “reputation-defending” subtype of the anti-social personality disorder:
    “Needs to be thought of as infallible, unbreakable, invincible, indomitable, formidable, inviolable; intransigent when status is questioned; over-reactive to slights.”

Up to a few percent of people are “s”. So each of us know several. The odds are that there is one in every extended family pretty much. I don’t see what the big deal is. Most aren’t violent or commit crimes. They are just toxic people. I would argue it is pretty important to recognize who they are, and well not be afraid to speak plainly about it.

Especially since there has been constant blame-shifting to the players, and scapegoating of certain players, and favoritism to certain players.

So “player-killer” it will be. Or be cryptic, like “rosebud”, except in this case ‘water bottle” is more appropriate.

33. McSorley33 says:

Caramel Obvious:

Okay, let’s imagine….lower than 30th overall?

Fans.

Nothing else?

34. "Frank The Dog" says:

frjohnk:

How about last season when a kid shouted out to Eakins from a passing car that he suckes?

35. frjohnk says:

There are bigger issues with this team than the “bad fans”.

But instances like guys getting billboards to fire someone, jersey tossing, report on Eakins kids getting bugged in school, and this latest “walk of shame” are not things players are gonna walk in to very easily.

If oiler fans want to be great fans, they need be better than Saturday night. I’m embarassed that that happened. Nobody in that crowd stepped up and said anything encouraging.

I have loved the oilers for over 30 years, since I was crawling. I always will love the oilers. Now for me. I put the event on Saturday night into perspective. I imagined I was in that crowd. But I was a father to one of those players. In the lowest of lows, I know that the player needs words of encouragement. But the booing was in effect like being yelled at. Kicking them while they are down is the last thing they needed.

Confidence is a huge part of a player and a team. Whatever the players had after the game, was completely taken from them during that walk.

It’s a thing like Saturday that proves as fans, we are failing too.
    Just like the team, we can be better.

36. jp says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: I get the idea behind it. A team for the community a la Lambeau Leap. It’s just so painful to watch. The Rangers have a glass wall in that section. I think that’s the only course of action. They can have a small section that fans can wait by for wins where players can choose to walk there to interact with fans or something, but the open access will not cut it. I’m firmly in the “close it off” camp on this one.

The situation will be rectified in the new arena.

37. jake70 says:

How many other NHL teams have to walk through a section of their arena like that, where the section is not near the ice ? Let them have it while on the playing surface, gittyup, but that’s it.

godot10:
    Question:So euphemisms for the “s” word like “coach killer” are apparently okay? If the point is couched in code words and obfuscated with bafflegab, because people don’t like straight talk.

The “reputation-defending” subtype of the anti-social personality disorder:

Up to a few percent of people are “s”.So each of us know several.The odds are that there is one in every extended family pretty much.I don’t see what the big deal is.Most aren’t violent or commit crimes.They are just toxic people. I would argue it is pretty important to recognize who they are, and well not be afraid to speak plainly about it.

So “player-killer” it will be.Or be cryptic, like “rosebud”, except in this case ‘water bottle” is more appropriate.

You’ve never met the man.

You have no clue as to who he is.

You see media avails and then go on rant after rant after rant about his personality.

You don’t know him.

Stop it.

Woodguy: You’ve never met they man.

You have no clue as to who he is.

You don’t know him.

Stop it.

“The people I know who know him or who have met him speak very highly of him and his empathy.”

Thanks for supporting my argument. Bullies are often beloved by those who aren’t the victims of the bully.

40. SK Oiler Fan says:

And there it is. Dreger says Perron made available for trade. You question the coaching or management and you’re gone, likely for pennies on the dollar just to show you don’t f with Oiler management. This has KLowe’s fingerprints all over it.

41. LMHF#1 says:

I cannot believe those among you saying those players should have been anything but booed mercilessly are being serious.

And a player with any pride at all would have felt WORSE had he been cheered, or worse, given no reaction at all in that situation.

They of all people know how bad it is and that it is on the group in that room and that front office to fix it.

Unless someone wants to give me back a few grand worth of ticket money that I’ve paid to watch this tire fire, they’re going to hear it from me and thousands of others until the team is miles better.

Thankful I skipped Saturday. I’ll be selling the tix and skipping many more this year.

You know who doesn’t deserve what’s going on? US.

godot10: So does the person(s) who called or suggested that Taylor Hall is a coach killer in the last thread know him any more than I know Coach Water Bottle?

Thanks for supporting my argument.Bullies are often beloved by those who aren’t the victims of the bully.

Stick to physics.

43. LMHF#1 says:

SK Oiler Fan:

Been happening over and over since the Comrie debacle. Ownership should have fired both Lowe and MacTavish that year.

Remember when Weight and crew all used to say how great the room and organization was? I do. We’re so far from that now it is scary.

44. "Frank The Dog" says:

When your franchise player comes out as strongly in support f his coach as Taylor Hall did last night, the coach firing solution becomes a lot more complex.

45. Adam Wu says:

godot10: So does the person(s) who called or suggested that Taylor Hall us a coach killer in the last thread know him any more than I know Coach Water Bottle?

Calling him a bully with the amount of information you have available to you about the type of person he is is crossing the line thrice over.

Stop it.

46. LMHF#1 says:

“Frank The Dog”:

Hall’s well-trained by his agent. That answer was as cliche as they come.

Coach Water Bottle has essentially an entirely new roster. The only holdovers which pre-date Eakins are Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle and Petry.

Yakupov and Schultz had 48 games…essentially still raw rookies to be shaped and developed by the coach.

How can the players be coach killers? How can it be a culture of losing, when everybody is new apart from four players. Do you think that getting rid of the last four holdovers will do the trick?

If there is a coach-killing culture, the people who have been around forever are the Lowe-MacT cabal.

48. Магия 10 says:

Adam Wu: Criticizing him for being incompetent based on what we can see from the on-ice product is valid.

Stop it.

He’s looking for some wait time,

49. "Frank The Dog" says:

LMHF#1: Hall’s well-trained by his agent. That answer was as cliche as they come.

50. LMHF#1 says:

“Frank The Dog”: I’ve heard thousands of interviews, and that response did not sound at all scripted to me. But if it doesn’t fit your narrative feel free to disagree.

No need for that last sentence.

51. Hammers says:

I don’t understand the comments on an impending Perron trade . I’m not the only one who has said he could be traded over the last 15 games . Same goes for Petry . Also don’t understand the comments on loosing a winger . Get the “C” and bring Leon along on the wing . We have , HALL ,EBS , YAK , PURCELL , POULIOT . let alone Hendricks , Joensuu , Pinzotto and the conversion of Leon . Perron is the obvious choice . We also have Pakirinen in the wings so to speak . Hell if I could get Coburn & B. Schenn for Perron & Petry I would .Balances money

52. AZOIL says:

Hammers:
    I don’t understand the comments on an impending Perron trade . I’m not the only one who has said he could be tradedover the last 15 games . Same goes for Petry . Also don’t understand the comments on loosing a winger . Get the “C” and bring Leon along on the wing . We have , HALL ,EBS , YAK , PURCELL , POULIOT. let alone Hendricks , Joensuu , Pinzotto and the conversion of Leon . Perronis the obvious choice . We also have Pakirinen in the wings so to speak . Hell if I could get Coburn & B. Schenn for Perron & Petry I would .Balances money

Ya I don’t get it either. Everyone freaks when we suggest a trade because it will make another hole? Wing is an area of strength for us and we can bring along Leon there, bring up Pakarinen there or even Anton lander. We need a 1/2C and a 1D and maybe a goalie but I think the reason our goalies all leave here and do better is because they have an actual D corps in front of them.

We have to be able to get some stuff if they were to trade Perron, jultz, and some package of picks, prospects. Something?

53. "Frank The Dog" says:

LMHF#1: No need for that last sentence.

54. Henry says:

Change of some sort is coming very soon. The trouble is that MacT is so over a barrel with his opposition that he may have to settle for the least bad trade. I sort of dread what is about to happen.

Maybe Columbus.

55. Gret99zky says:

I couldn’t find what Taylor Hall said about Krueger being fired. Anyone?

I’d wager it was very similar to what he is saying now about Eakins. “It’s not the coach, it’s the players.”

56. LMHF#1 says:

“Frank The Dog”: Sorry for coming across as prickish, I suppose better put would be to say that once we both hear the same words from the same person then all we can do is agree to differ.

Indeed. Fair enough.

57. Bruce McCurdy says:

frjohnk: That video raises my suspicisions on why edmonton has trouble attracting some free agents.

Exactly my thoughts. I just cringed watching it for several reasons, but that was sure one of them. Who the fuck would want to play here knowing a) that the team has been in a downward spiral for nine years with few signs of breaking out of it, and b) that (some of) the fans have reached their breaking point & are resorting to showering the players with invective like that after a bad performance.

Seriously, I wonder how many players around the league have limited no-move clauses that do NOT list Edmonton as one of the no-go locations. Circulation of that clip sure isn’t going to improve the situation.

It’s getting toxic around here, folks.

58. Gret99zky says:

godot10,

I appreciate your posts here more than some of the others.

That being said, (and I’m sure you are aware of this) there are certain topics, no matter how convincing the argument, that don’t rhyme around here.

1939-1945 Germany
    The “C” word. (because there may be ladies about)
    Calling anyone but the host stupid. (his words, not mine)
    Conspiracy Theories
    Sociopaths

My experience tells me those are off limits.

Also not on the playlist:

Led Zeppelin
    The Beatles
    The band that sings “copkiller”

59. Bling says:

Plain booing is fine, but whoever was yelling gay slurs should’ve been kicked the fuck out.

Gret99zky:
    godot10,

I appreciate your posts here more than some of the others.

1939-1945 Germany
    The “C” word.(because there may be ladies about)
    Calling anyone but the host stupid.(his words, not mine)
    Conspiracy Theories
    Sociopaths

My experience tells me those are off limits.

Also not on the playlist:

Led Zeppelin
    The Beatles
    The band that sings “copkiller”

That’s pretty close to spot on. 🙂

As for the video, I’m not surprised. People are extremely aggressive when drinking, it was that way 30 years ago when I worked in bars (not for a long time, but long enough) and that’s basically what Oilers players walk through to get to their dressing room.

Katz could have solved that long ago by building a wall. He chose not to.

Fin.

61. LMHF#1 says:

Bling:

Ahh, I see. People are taking issue with the language rather than the rabble-rabble. That makes more sense.

Drunks can be pretty bad.

62. Bruce McCurdy says:

A Saturday night crowd might be especially susceptible to having a few brew, especially when the team pisses away the game early. Those who get access to that area are generally club seat holders, which have a sticker price of something like $375, so they can likely afford a few pops along the way. But the end result was not pretty to say the least.

I was at the game last night and saw/heard some of it first hand, but nothing near as bad as that walk of shame. Some Bronx cheers for the poor old goalies when they stopped a 150-footer (Fasth in particular did not deserve this), scattered booing, and some minor “Fire Eakins” chants that never really got legs. Also some “Let’s Go Oilers” rallying cries that never really got going either. (It was, after all, a 6-goal deficit for the majority of the game) I didn’t participate in any of it, mentioned to my seat mate that as an old goalie I didn’t see how the Bronx cheers solved anything at all, but that was all relatively minor compared to that shit at the end.

Most of the players kept eyes forward throughout, but I liked how Hendricks looked around and made some eye contact, I’ll bet he might have stopped one or two of those catcallers in their tracks. Anybody who questions Matt Hendricks’ effort has to be even drunker than I think those louts were.

Bling:

That was sickening.

63. SwedishPoster says:

One thing about the Hawks game. Schultz only got 1630 of ice time. Petry 2330. I guess the defensive issues with this team aren’t solved by giving Schultz less Petry more toi.

SwedishPoster:

I think the evidence shows Petry is a more effective 5×5 player. The Chicago game, second of a back to back, might not be a good game to measure this area. That said, Petry once again had a more severe ZS and a better shot differential at evens

Gret99zky:
    godot10,

I appreciate your posts here more than some of the others.

Okay, I get it. That when I use the term, people confuse it with a small fraction of people who are characterized that way. But people of that type are fairly common. A few percent of the population, and most don’t have the extreme behaviours and actions associated with that small fraction.

What I said is no different than the person(s) who called a particular player or players “coach-killers”. A “coach killer” is the same thing which I called Eakins. But people don’t seem troubled by that term because it obscures uncomfortable truths. The fear of the power of plain speaking.

So euphemisms and code words and obfuscation it is. The inability to use plain direct language because it is “impolite” is in fact part of the power of people of that type, because it is a surrender to them.

66. cabbiesmacker says:

frjohnk:

I’d be willing to bet fans yelling at the players is a long ways down the list of reasons why free agents don’t sign here. #1 on the list would be how badly management has F’d things up for so long. who wants to play for a perennial loser?

Wins cover up a lot deficiencies i.e. small city, weather, fan interaction, etc . This is ALL and always has been ALL about this teams management.

67. Kmart99 says:

Bohologo: Yup, just saw it on You Tube:

Thing is: those are Tier 1 fans, they’ve paid some hard earned bucks for those seats.

What a horrible state of affairs. Man, Edmonton fans can be such DB’s sometimes.

68. flyfish1168 says:

I feel for the players ,coaches and mangers. Edmonton is a hockey crazied city, nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately this comes with a price on the players and their wives. i can’t imagine what its like to try and go anywhere in the city and constantly being recognized and being badgered or cat called.
    No wonder why some players avoid playing for Canadian cities.

I believe everyone deserves their privacy

69. Kmart99 says:

Fans have the right to boo, but what kind of a tool goes down to the club access JUST to shit on the players who are already extremely dejected from a 7-1 loss. That clip made my stomach turn. None of those players deserve that. It’s just a game. Yeah we love it, yeah we’re tired of losing, but it’s still just a bunch of guys hitting a rubber disc with sticks. A game.
    Jeez.

70. DBO says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 4m4 minutes ago
    Word from eastern teams: MacTavish is very eager to land a center. Source says “no one is off limits.” Normal procedure to get talks going.

well then. interesting.

71. MenovOil says:

No one is off limits? I guess MacT is really blowing it all up then? I must say, I would much rather have competent hockey men going about rebuilding this team AGAIN. Fire Lowe, MacT and Eakins and have an outside voice rebuilid this organisation from top to bottom. Scorched earth theory type stuff.

72. Ed Zackley says:

Pouzar:

Oh man… is someone chopping onions in here?

73. "Frank The Dog" says:

godot10: Okay, I get it.That when I use the term, people confuse it with a small fraction of people who are characterized that way.But people of that type are fairly common.A few percent of the population, and most don’t have the extreme behaviours and actions associated with that small fraction.

What I said is no different than the person(s) who called a particular player or players “coach-killers”.A “coach killer” is the same thing which I called Eakins. But people don’t seem troubled by that term because it obscures uncomfortable truths.The fear of the power of plain speaking.

It’s called social boundaries. A mediocre command of Canadian English, simply because that happens to be the medium of this blog, provides the opportunity to convey one’s sentiments in a powerful manner. Over use of extreme phraseology diminishes the impact. Use of socially objectionable terms is simply counterproductive.
    Stay within the boundaries of the sandpit you choose to play in.You might be ignored but you won’t be thrown out of it.

Edited for typo.

74. Pouzar says:

Bobby Mac saying Perron “is good as gone” on 1260?
    Did anyone hear this?

75. "Frank The Dog" says:

Pouzar:
    Bobby Mac saying Perron “is good as gone” on 1260?
    Did anyone hear this?

If you were Perron, would you want to stay on this team? His comments may have been an indication that this game was the final straw for him, and a means of asking for a trade without saying the actual words. Which of course may have been said subsequently behind closed doors.

"Frank The Dog": It’s called social boundaries. A mediocre command of Canadian English, simply because that happens to be themedium of this blog, provides the opportunity to convey one’s sentiments in a powerful manner. Over use of extreme phraseology diminishes the impact. Use of socially objectionable terms is simply counterproductive.
    Stay within the boundariesof the sandpit you choose to play in.You might be ignored but you won’t be thrown out of it.

Edited for typo.

But, my point remains…one is saying exactly the same thing when one calls a player a “coach killer”…which apparently is fine. Using the correct term for the disorder apparently offends people’s delicate sensitivities.

77. Kmart99 says:

“Half the teams in the league would trade their roster for our roster.”-Klowe

….ummm…. Do it?

78. A'bunadh says:

I have no issues with voicing your displeasure when the players are on the ice and you aren’t happy with the on ice product, but booing and jeering a player off the ice is nothing more than a personal attack. Booze or not, that’s pretty embarrassing.
    I agree with cabbiesmacker though. As ugly as it was, I’m sure the players were booing themselves inside and understand how hurt and disappointed the fans are right now. I think the positive fan support overall outweighs the negative by quite a bit.
    What I am seeing among the fanbase a lot is apathy, myself included. I’ve had four season seats for a long time, and although I moved two hours outside of Edmonton a few years ago I’ve kept my tickets. I didn’t want to miss out when the team turned the corner. There has always been hope. That corner seems so far away, the hope is gone and I don’t think my seats get renewed. I can use the $19k a year on a lot of other things that don’t stress me out and leave me mad and disappointed. Like scotch. I know quite a few people saying the same thing, too. It’s going to be really interesting to see what the support is like next year.

79. Dicky94 says:

Pouzar,

That’s how fans can help a team win right there. If game seven had been at home they would have won the cup. The fans need to step it up as much as the players do. You shouldn’t actually be able to hear the puck drop at face offs. Help the Oilers get through this!

80. Truth says:

Parade the players through a bar before and after every period and that’s what happens. If you looked at videos of that gauntlet from ’06 you’d think it was the best idea ever. Now, not so much.

Homophobic remarks aside, in the end these are professional hockey players getting paid millions of dollars doing something that a far greater number of people pay to do, play hockey. I just coughed up over $500 to play in a local beer league. Pay me $10,000/year to play in that league and I will have no problem with a crowd gathering to cheer when I play well and boo when I don’t. Heck, I’d accept that if I got to play for free.

If the players want to live the glory in this City if things ever do go right they have to realize the fans are equally passionate about letting them know they’re putting out a lackluster effort. Deal with it. If they keep this effort up long enough they won’t have to worry about getting booed when they get paraded through the bar because it will be empty.