NO. 8 PROSPECT (winter 2014): DILLON SIMPSON

Dillon Simpson is an intelligent defenseman who has a nice range of skills. He is likely to be a ‘defense-first’ pro player and his first games in the AHL have been an education. Betting on Simpson over other prospects still on the list comes down to his progression curve: He’s come a long way since draft day.

PREVIOUSLY NUMBER EIGHT ON THE WINTER LIST

• December 2004: D Matt Greene (526)
  • December 2005: D Tom Gilbert (543)
  • December 2006: L Alexei Mikhnov (2)
  • December 2007: L Slava Trukhno (0)
  • December 2008: C Chris VandeVelde (60)
  • December 2009: D Taylor Chorney (61)
  • December 2010: L Linus Omark (79)
  • December 2011: L Curtis Hamilton (0)
  • December 2012: D David Musil (0)
  • December 2013: D Dillon Simpson (0)

By this point we’re getting down to the long shots, also-rans and the place I park the college defensemen. If there’s one thing about my list that shows as a bias, it’s that I underrated guys like Greene and Gilbert (and may be doing the same here with Simpson). It’s also interesting to see the progress of VandeVelde, who at this point has a real chance to pass 100 NHL games. Like Colin McDonald before him, Edmonton drafted VandeVelde, developed him, and then sent him away to find success (at some level) in another NHL city.

WHAT THEY SAID ON DRAFT DAYsimpson capture

• Redline: Stay at home defencemen with savvy and size. Son of former longtime NHL’er Craig Simpson has very good hockey sense and understands game situations instinctively. Had trouble getting qualilty icetime as a 17-year-old true freshman on deep, veteran defence corps of top collegiate program, but did show steady progress adjusting to the pace of play against older, stronger opponents. Rarely saw the ice on either special teams units. Sluggish skater with a short stride, but shows good gap control and lateral mobility. Tentative to do anything offensively and always has one foot back on defence. Doesn’t see the ice well and hurries to get the puck off his stick. Makes sharp defensive reads and is rarely out of position. Struggled 1-on-1 in the corners and down log against more physically developed forwards.
  • Red Line Report scout Max Giese: “He’s a smart player defensively, rarely out of position; but he’s a pretty bad skater and he doesn’t have any poise moving the puck. He’s a slushy skater with a short and sluggish stride. His hands are stiff, he struggles to put passes on the tape and he always hurries to get the puck off of his stick. He’s getting the ice time right now because of North Dakota’s injuries.”
  • Kirk Luedeke: A bit of a disappointing season for a player scouts had some real high hopes for coming in. The son of former NHL forward and HNIC analyst Craig Simpson (and nephew of television reporter Christine Simpson) has decent size at 6-1, 195. He scored 2 goals and 10 points in 30 games as a freshman and wasn’t overly involved in the offensive scheme/didn’t get a lot of ice time. He’s a work in progress who has some soft hands and hockey sense, but isn’t a great skater. He’s slow out of the blocks and needs to work on his stride to get the most out of his movement. Scouts see intriguing elements of his game, but after 12 goals and 41 points last year with Spruce Grove of the AJHL, more of an impact was expected from him- he did not deliver. This is not to say Simpson isn’t a legitimate NHL prospect- he is. He grew up around the game and has the natural athleticism to be a player, but this season showed that it is going to take time and he’d require a leap of faith for a team to draft him in the first two rounds.

POINTS BY DISCIPLINE, DILLON SIMPSON

PLAYER EV PP PK TOTAL
SIMPSON 2010-11 30, 1-6-7 30, 1-2-3 30, 0-0-0 30, 2-8-10
SIMPSON 2011-12 42, 1-6-7 42, 1-10-11 42, 0-0-0 42, 2-16-18
SIMPSON 2012-13 42, 2-8-10 42, 3-11-14 42, 0-0-0 42, 5-19-24
SIMPSON 2013-14 42, 1-11-12 42, 6-5-11 42, 0-0-0 42, 7-16-23

Simpson’s NCAA career with UND featured some significant power play time in his final three seasons. Over many years of looking at defensemen, it’s reasonable to assume they will never be a power play factor—Jeff Petry, as an example, has five power-play points in his NHL career, and three of those came in his rookie season. Even very good puck-moving defenders don’t spend a great deal of time on an NHL power play. Dillon Simpson would fall short of that description, and yet he found a way into that situation and performed at a quality level. The young man is a hockey player.

• Coach Dave Hakstol: “He’s only 20 years old, we have freshmen older than him. But it’s really not about the date on your birth certificate, it’s about your level of maturity and your life experiences, your mindset and your ability to be consistent and accountable and do things the right way. I think Dillon is at the highest level of those areas.”

simpson9

PREVIOUS TOP 20 RANKING

• Summer 2011: 24
  • Winter 2011: 17
  • Summer 2012: 14
  • Winter 2012: 10
  • Summer 2013: 10
  • Winter 2013: 8
  • Summer 2014: 7
  • Winter 2014: 8

If you read the original scouting reports and rookie boxcars, then follow his progress, these rankings make sense. He arrived in the system as a fourth-round pick with a famous Dad, and he left college with an NHL contract and a bright future based on solid development at North Dakota.

14-15

todd simpson young stars

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING THIS SEASON

• Bruce McCurdy from April 2014: Overall I found myself more impressed with Simpson’s game than with his physical skills. His innate understanding of where to find the “good ice”, to recognize and execute the simple play, and to read opposition threats all scored high. The defender prides himself on his ability to stay out of the penalty box, having taken just 48 penalty minutes in his four years at UND. Still, there’s a lack of physical bite to his game which is bound to alienate a portion of the fanbase should he make it as far as the NHL.”
  • Lowetide Blog: Oiler fans should expect more of a ‘defense-first’ type as described in this recent game summary: Dillon Simpson’s final game for North Dakota was one for the ages. He was huge, and I’m not just talking about the two back door plays he broke up. He also blocked two shots, played a ton of minutes, and assisted on Connor Gaarder’s game-tying goal.
  • Neal Livingston, Tend The Farm: Started solid, but with AHL forwards progressing, and teams gelling, he’s struggled. Has a tendency to be stuck in a puck moving / sturdy defender role. In the end he does neither well – too soft, and not good enough with the puck. Smart player, though, and in time could be a bit more capable (and given better minutes).
  • Eric Rodgers, Tend the Farm: Quite good in my opinion. Has had a few mistakes, but nothing horrible. Is usually strong in the D-zone, rarely out of position.

simpson ferguson 1415

THE FUTURE

Dillon Simpson is beginning his pro career with reviews similar to the ones we saw when he began playing at UND. I wondered over the summer how he would fit in at the AHL level (and felt it was possible he would go to the ECHL), but he is hanging in and learning his craft. Simpson doesn’t have a specific calling card—no bomb from the point, he doesn’t murdelize people, he is not a fast train and does not possess a massive wingspan.

His super power? It appears to be grey matter. Simpson is a good hockey player, full stop. His skill set doesn’t imply a power-play option, but he played that role three of four college seasons. I think it probably has to do with aptitude, this is a big brain and a player who can adapt. Being the son of a former NHL player likely helps, but if you go back and read the summaries and game reports over his college career, the line of improvement is real and obvious.

If he can do that in the AHL, we’ll see him in the NHL sooner than later. Dillon Simpson is probably going to take most or all of his entry level deal to get a real shot at the NHL, but in ranking him No. 8 overall this blog isn’t betting against him.

simpson2

The 2011 NHL Draft

• Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, No. 1 overall. Splendid young player and may be adding another gear in year four after his draft. Graduated.
  • Oscar Klefbom, No. 19 overall. A big piece of Edmonton’s future on the blue line, Top 4D with an emphasis on defense. No.3 on the winter 20.
  • David Musil, No. 31 overall. Playing solid D in OKC, working on foot speed. Inside the winter 20.
  • Samu Perhonen, No. 63 overall. Big goalie hasn’t progressed. Back in Finland. Not in organization.
  • Travis Ewanyk, No. 74 overall. Tough as nails checking C doesn’t bring offense. Candidate for winter 20.
  • Dillon Simpson, No. 92 overall. Turned pro this season, impressing in OKC. No. 8 on the winter 20.
  • Tobias Rieder, No. 114 overall. No longer in organization. Scouting home run, he’s in the NHL.
  • Martin Gernat, No. 122 overall. A solid young prospect maturing in the AHL. Inside the winter 20.
  • Frans Tuohimaa, No. 182 overall. Prospect has shown some interesting progress. Candidate for winter 20.

The 2011 draft is in its fourth year and there are some promising things. Nuge and Klefbom are on track to be part of the cluster for years to come, and there are several candidates to join them. The sheer number of blue taken in this draft dictates not all of them will be Oilers, but there are some nice trade assets in the group. Tobias Rieder, cashed early, is the third player from the 2011 Oilers draft to make the NHL.

Dillon Simpson? Can’t skate, can’t shoot, doesn’t have much to recommend him and the only thing he does well is pass people on the depth chart. I think intelligence, pedigree and determination are going to get him to the NHL, and despite all evidence I wouldn’t be shocked to see him on an NHL power play someday.

58 Responses to "NO. 8 PROSPECT (winter 2014): DILLON SIMPSON"

1. Ryan says:

Fist.

2. Numenius says:

Keep up the good work, Dillon.

3. spoiler says:

SImpson has been ranked a little higher these past three rankings than I would have him. I don’t see Petry’s skill level in him, but he has the advantage of age. Also, if his role is to be a defense first puck-mover, he really needs to add some physical battle to his game. He looks like the prototypical tweener right now.

4. VanOil says:

Did Friedman end his section on the Oilers tonight suggesting no deals are imminent because MacT does not want to be rushed/panicked into a trade?

If I heard this correctly, the hole at center has been visible since 2011 and the schedule suggests that panic is only increase as the Oilers continue to lose.

Maybe MacT is counting on Oilers fans to be seduced by the Grey Cup, inebriated by Xmas parties and fall in love with the WJC thus not noticing the Oilers until the new year.

Young Mr. Simpson I believe has mainly been playing on the Right side of Oesterle. That gives him loads of empty black top ahead of him as an Oiler prospect.

5. Ryan says:

Uh oh. I got caught in the spam filter with my “fist” post awhile ago. GMoney, please change your handle to, “gmoney/Ryan” then my work here is done.

6. Clay says:

Ryan:
    Uh oh.I got caught in the spam filter with my “fist” post awhile ago.GMoney, please change your handle to, “gmoney/Ryan” then my work here is done.

I’m pretty it just got deleted.

7. AZOIL says:

What is all the talk about Babcock coaching the oilers? Am I missing something? Are his days in Detroit numbered?

8. Ryan says:

Clay: I’m pretty it just got deleted.

I’ve been a member here since 2009 and a lurker for 2 years prior, so I would hope I had more credit here than that. If not, then fair game.

VanOil,

Bullshit.

The hole at 2C has been there since summer 2008.

One of the first things v1.0 did was trade away Stoll.

There hasn’t been an Actual NHL 2C on the roster since.

6 years.

Man.

10. The Great Gazoo says:

AZOIL:

11. Ryan says:

Woodguy,

Did I mention that I almost went for a beer with Woodguy once, so I’d hope that gave me enough street cred here….lol.

You poor miserable bastards are freezing your asses off in misery over the state of the Oilers… While I too am in misery about the state of these Oilers, but keeping warm under the warm Florida sun.

12. oliveoilers says:

Woodguy:
    VanOil,

Bullshit.

The hole at 2C has been there since summer 2008.

One of the first things v1.0 did was trade away Stoll.

There hasn’t been an Actual NHL 2C on the roster since.

6 years.

Man.

Yes there was. Only in true Oilers style, he was playing 1C.

13. "Frank The Dog" says:

The Great Gazoo: Contract is up at the end of the year, and he has not entertained any offers of extending it. It’s only rumor, but some believe he wants to move on.

Until this team turns north they are not going to attract top end ufa players or coaches. Which is why tanking so badly we qualify for Connor would do more harm than good. We’d probably get Connor at the cost of Hall and/or Nuge.

Getting a top 5 pick in that draft except through trade would be the next step of infinibuild. .

No way we get Babcock except to replace Lowe and MacT and select his own staff and players unfettered. Not going to happen.

14. nelson88 says:

Woodguy,

If you had a choice between Anisimov and Couturier which one would you take?

Philly is struggling and we all know they are not patient. I can see Perron being a Flyer typer of player and would look very good on Giroux’s wing. they have Laughton in the mix.

CBJ also makes a lot of sense but i think philly is the dark horse. couturier, luke schenn (doghouse) and umberger (too make the dollars work) and a 4th round pick for perron and Jultz.

15. VanOil says:

Woodguy:
    VanOil,

Bullshit.

The hole at 2C has been there since summer 2008.

One of the first things v1.0 did was trade away Stoll.

There hasn’t been an Actual NHL 2C on the roster since.

6 years.

Man.

16. The Great Gazoo says:

“Frank The Dog”: Babcock

VanOil: I stand corrected. My apologizes for wildly underestimating the hole at Center. All memories of the pre-Smithson solution have been lost due to repeatedly banging my head on the wall.

Heh.

nelson88:
    Woodguy,

If you had a choice between Anisimov and Couturier which one would you take?

Couturier.

He doesn’t bring the offence that Anisimov does, but its close and Couts is much younger and the offence will come. He is also a RFA after his current deal.

Anisimov is UFA after next year.

19. Kmart99 says:

AZOIL:

The oilers part is nonsense, but I’ve read that he’s asking too much $$

20. GCW_69 says:

The Rieder trade still pisses me off. It’s not like the Oilers couldn’t use some strong two way forwards. Irks me every time I see his name. Curse you Tambo. Where was Mr. Are you sure you want to do that? when that trade was being discussed?

21. Kmart99 says:

I’ve been posting on the web about the oilers since ’06, oilers.com message board since 2008 thinking it was the only decent andoutlet. Never listened to AM radio… Then one day(2012 sometime) a friend recommends Gregor’s show, who plugs Oilers nation, who plugs Lowetide, who plugged dellow, now I have found an oasis of sanity, but am way too late to the party. I’ve walked in and half the people have gone home, the other half are passed out drunk, and a few hardcore stragglers/dreamers are outside on the deck hungover but sipping on the last few cold ones left. I sit down on next to them and say “Now what?”

They say “The owner of this place hasn’t been around for months, the caretakers don’t give a shit, the party’s been dead forever, and everything is a mess.” I wonder ‘Why stay?’

The beer is cold. And that’s enough I suppose. They seem like nice people, I think I’ll stay for awhile.

22. Pouzar says:

Seein Lain good tonight. Yak2 with some nice defensive zone work.

Speakin of Simpson, they should use that last play on how to defend a one on one. Beautiful.

23. The Great Gazoo says:

Pouzar: Simpson

Simpson, eh?

24. "Frank The Dog" says:

The Great Gazoo: This team would be the ultimate challenge for him – the Everest of coaching challenges. But I agree, he would never take over a team that was being meddled with by POHO/ownership.

Look how Daniel Snyder runs through managers and coaches too. They could be brothers, separated at birth.

25. Pouzar says:

Miller from Yak2!

26. Pouzar says:

Khaira with a nice rush.

27. dangilitis says:

“Lars Eller, Montreal. Two-way center with some size and skill. Loves the Oilers. ”

Quote of the year

(Would’ve posted it on OilersNation, but Robin Brownlee is a dickhead who banned me for calling him out on for suppressing clean, free speech that contradicted his own moronic views)

28. Pouzar says:

Moroz needs some seasoning to say the least.

29. Pouzar says:

OH MY what a shot from the Hero!

Yakimov with a couple of assists in the third period, Brossoit looking good.

31. Pouzar says:

Against organizational policy I think Miller screened the goalie on that goal.

32. Pouzar says:

Eric Rodgers ‏@ericrsports 1m1 minute ago
    Through traffic, Pakarinen picks the top corner to beat Rynnas. 15:22 the time, assisted by Oesterle and Yakimov. #OKCBarons

33. Pouzar says:

Yakimov with a couple of assists in the third period, Brossoit looking good.

Pouzar: Yak2 is a player. Full stop. He will improve his skating and become a force. He thinks the game really well.

35. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: It’s funny, everyone is bitching about no picks outside the first round and the Russian may kick ass next season. A load and he can play.

He always seems to be in the right place and makes some really high end passes on the breakout especially. Very smart player. And his board work is already there.

36. "Frank The Dog" says:

Dallas will need to turn the ship around at some point. MacT’s job is to remove any impediments to his success. I wonder how far that goes past a solid 2C.

I do respect the fact that Dallas himself has commented that they need to make this work with the staff they have. He’s dead right.

I just wish there was not such a heaviness abut this team. What a difference watching OKC play.

37. TheOtherJohn says:

Everyone is bitching about no one outside of the 1st round because that’s all the Oilers have. Petry Marincin and Nothing else. Detroit picking late each year has 16 draftees in their lineup. Imagine if we drafted Klingberg=unicorn in Oiler universe or Cody Eakin

And we are picking at the front of every draft

38. Pouzar says:

Barons win!

TheOtherJohn:

And we are picking at the front of every draft

If you’re talking about 2007, amen brother. Agree. 2010 they got one out of three 2nd rounders and maybe Pitlick makes it (although clock is ticking). 2011+? You can’t make that call. And btw, the 2011 draft included Tobias Rieder in the fourth round.

You may not want to count him now, and that’s fine. But he’s a guy who is trending and there will be more. Miles too soon to jump on these kids.

40. Pouzar says:

3 goals in 12:46 to win it 3-2. #antioilers

The Great Gazoo: Simpson, eh?

Like the cut of his jib?

42. hunter1909 says:

I respectfully disagree. I could coach this team easily. And I don’t know shit about hockey coaching. Here’s the first thing I do:

– Call a players meeting, and tell everyone the slate is clean. And I mean clean.
    – Put Yakupov+Disraitl together permanently. If they’re not up for the 2nd line, I’d play them on the 4th until they developed sufficiently to merit the promotion.
    – Tell the “tough guys”that if anyone from the opposition messes with any of the skill players to simply go out and either attack them immediately, or else attack the opposition skill players. Blatantly, no problem. Because it’s simply got to stop.
    – Play Marincin+Petry lots, because they’re fine players.
    – Meet ference, and strip the C from him. Let the players vote their own captain. Worked for the Beliveau Habs pretty good.
    – Interference from above? Piss on their fucking desks if need be. Hey, I’ve got a contract and if you fire me I still get paid, assholes.
    – Want me to sign a no-disclosure clause? Sure, so long as it’s announced the day I’m hired lol.
    – NEVER, ever slag off the players.
    – Since I can’t coach – get someone who can and let them do the work. If they’re not working out, fire them instantly and refer to the shortlist for the next hire. If necessary, rinse and repeat.
    -Smile when times are good – since when they’re bad I’ll probably be crying. Lots.
    -break up the top line. Better to have the best players on two lines. Makes for more problems for opposing coaches.
    – Burn that silly military jacket – or send it back to whoever it belongs to.
    – Free pastries in the press room. Fresh baked.
    – Hire a Chinese martial arts master to oversee a toughening up program for the weaker players.

I’m drinking fine 10 year old scotch.

43. hunter1909 says:

“Frank The Dog”: Dallas will need to turn the ship around at some point.

Bernie Madoff’s going to be refunding money. And Donald Rumsfeld’s going to confess to being a war criminal.

44. Gerta Rauss says:

GCW_69:
    The Rieder trade still pisses me off.It’s not like the Oilers couldn’t use some strong two way forwards.Irks me every time I see his name. Curse you Tambo.Where was Mr. Are you sure you want to do that? when that trade was being discussed?

I can’t remember who posted this here recently but it sounds like Rieder asked for a trade. You can criticize the return but it doesn’t appear that Rieder was going to sign with the Oilers org

45. dangilitis says:

Just thought people would want to know who the newest iron man is…

46. LMHF#1 says:

Gerta Rauss: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2014/11/16/dubnyks-play-rewarded-nd-start-row/19153235/

Of course you can.

Situations like this can be remedied. Oilers took the easy way out. Other orgs aren’t routinely having to pitch guys overboard because “our top six is full”.

47. Dark Asia says:

I walked out out of this place in summer 2013 because is was so god damn obvious that the whole Tambo firing, MacT hiring, Kruger firing, Eakins hiring was simply a way to keep the dysfunctional boys on the bus theme going. Lowe thought that Kruger’s work was meaningless and the team would just take off with anyone in the fake GM and coach seats. Most people here also thought this was just duckie – face it – you were utterly wrong.

So here we are again and the choices are way worse now. A trade means nothing and sending a guy like Perron away who is one of the few hard working accountable guys on the whole damn roster makes it worse not better. If Katz does not clean house in management and purge this franchise of every damn boy on the bus, then the offseason is going to be a bloodbath. Taylor Hall will want out and RNH and Eberle will follow, Yak is going to refuse to resign and will go KHL if necessary unless he gets a trade to somewhere more Russian friendly. Petry is gone, Shultz is destroyed and Drai has already used up 1 year of his contract. This team is absolutely, unequivically f**cked if it doesn’t clean house because the next rebuild is staring it in the face. Only this time no top pick will sign in EDM to be part of this circus.

That is the reality folks – you think it’s bad now – just wait and see what happens if management is retained past xmas. Tick tock tick……

LMHF#1: Of course you can.

49. Hammers says:

LT say teams have to give 5 years for the later picks to make it but that doesn’t mean some can’t make it in there 3rd or 4th year . I don’t follow other teams choices at all but my gut says there are players that can and do . Maybe LT means Oiler picks but I would have guessed the crappier the team the more chance for them to make it . . When you think on it we have had some high second and third round picks like under 65th . Just wondering but how have NYI Columbus , Florida , Colorado, Winnipeg been doing . Anybody know ??.

50. book¡je says:

Lowetide: I think that’s probably true. I hate second guessing and claiming things to be factual when they aren’t, but also suspect the Oilers could have signed him with a sweetener.

Given the abundance of quite a few screw ups like this, I think its fair to say that there are enough of them that at least some are failings on the part of management.

51. Bling says:

Conspiracy theory alert:

It’s no big secret that Dellow was not big on Justin Schultz. He had a post up last year where he compared Schultz to elite dmen at the same age; needless to say, Schultz was nowhere near any of them (AHL stats aside).

With Klefbom being recalled, maybe MacTavish has come around to Dellow’s thinking, and is close to trading Schultz. That would explain why you would want to scratch him tomorrow; in case the deal isn’t completed in time for tomorrow’s game.

Furthermore, if Schultz is traded for a C prior to the game, Klefbom can slide right into the lineup.

Schultz+ for Ansimov? Or maybe a bigger deal involving Perron + Schultz for Ansimov, or perhaps another centre?

It’s a reach, but maybe when MacT says he is comfortable with the D, perhaps he is referring to a depth chart that no longer includes Schultz.

Marincin Petry
    Klefbom Fayne
    Ference Nikitin

52. AZOIL says:

Bling:
    Conspiracy theory alert:

Marincin Petry
    Klefbom Fayne
    Ference Nikitin

I hope so! If jultz isn’t playing there has to be a reason for it.

53. Gret99zky says:

Dark Asia:

Welcome Back!

A funny thing is happening on the way to Rogers’ Place.

54. Dixs35 says:

Rondo

Saw a comment a couple posts ago that if Lowe cared he would have resigned. Have it on pretty decent info that he tried to last year but wasn’t allowed too. When I heard that it made me think that they are waiting for the Oil to make the playoffs so he could leave with some dignity. I assume they were hoping for this year but it will hopefully be next year. Take it for what it’s worth.

55. PhrankLee says:

Gret99zky,

Very funny as the first song of that play is Comedy Tonight.

Ha ha The line is: Tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight!

But It’s safe to say that each word is interchangeable in regards to the darn Oilers.

56. Ca$h-Money! says:

How would people feel if the return for Schultz was Jack Johnson? Given the level of Johnson hate on the internet, I’m honestly curious.

57. Ben says:

(One day….)

The Clippers were so bad for so long that, even after three consecutive years of winning, a roster built around all-stars Paul and Blake Griffin, a current season with a franchise-record 57 victories and home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs, a sense of doom still lurks.

After all, this is the Clippers, the team that spent decades as the Ishtar of the NBA. Though I’m excited after a regular season with new coach Doc Rivers at the helm, I can’t shake the feeling that things will come crashing down at any moment. I know the team is good, but the track record is so darn spotty, and Sterling is sort of like a Bizarro World King Midas, turning anything he touches into doggy doo. Longtime Clippers fans are probably the only ones who can have a superiority complex and an inferiority complex at the exact same time.

Bling:
    Conspiracy theory alert:

Marincin Petry
    Klefbom Fayne
    Ference Nikitin

I don’t think MacT needs help evaluating Schultz.

He said himself “…..we agree that there is a large gap from where the player is to what the player can be” at the Schultz signing presser.

Schultz has done nothing to close that gap.

In fact, its widened.