COYOTES AT OILERS, G25 2014-15

The Oilers played well in spurts on the road trip and the goaltending has been sturdy enough for bathroom breaks during real time hockey lately. I consider this to be especially important as I grow older. If you’re an Edmonton Oilers player, coach, manager or fan, this is a game that can be won and should be won. If you don’t win this one, you could fall the rest of the way down the mountain. Which means firings and trades and onion peeling and focus groups on how to improve fan spirit for all I know.

No sir. We reach the sky tonight, dammit all anyway.

gyj.jpg

This is Stan Weir. Stan Weir was born in a log cabin that he built with his bare hands. Stan Weir can lick his elbow. Stan Weir puts the fun in funeral. Big Foot takes pictures of Stan Weir. Stan Weir once played 18 holes of golf using a 12 inch strip of rebar and a sun dried tomato. He shot a 54. When Stan Weir crosses the street, cars look both ways. Stan Weir speaks in CAPS. Stan Weir won a pissing contest with a Russian racehorse. Stan Weir doesn’t like the Arizona Coyotes. He thinks their uniforms look like puke and they have too many guys with funny names. Plus their fans are Edmontonians living in Phoenix half the year. Stan Weir will bring us money and shapely, adventurous women with bad eyesight. Ladies and gentlemen, Stan Weir!

TONIGHT’S LINEUP (UPDATED)

• Hall—Nuge—Eberle
  • Perron—Draisaitl—Pitlick
  • Yakupov—Arcobello—Purcell
  • Gazdic—Gordon—Pinizzotto
  • Klefbom—Petry
  • Nikitin—Schultz
  • Ference—Fayne
  • Fasth (Scrivens)

I like the recall of Pitlick, but you can see this team needs Benoit Pouliot back a-sap. The club simply doesn’t have enough depth to endure a loss, as was shown when Taylor Hall went down earlier in the year. As much as they need a center, and they do badly, another skill winger would help immensely—or a sudden surge by Nail.

dreger messierThe trade talk has died off but at some point the Oilers are going to make a decision on all kinds of players. Jeff Petry, Nail Yakupov, David Perron even Martin Marincin may end up being trade bait for a better today (I don’t think we’ll see a lot of player for picks deals, maybe Petry). I think we could see something break this week.

• Jim Matheson: Sources say, winger Nail Yakupov was offered to an Eastern Conference team, but the market for the first overall pick in 2012 is very low right now, understandably with seven points in 24 games (three goals), only one goal in the past month. Source

At this point I’m not sure Nail gets you a useful player in a one-for-one deal. As I mentioned at ON this weekend the offense is sputtering and that’s his main calling card. The Oilers really haven’t developed him well—this season is devoted to Leon Draisaitl in terms of development—and with his entry-level deal up at the end of this season this could be the time for Edmonton to cash him in. The Rangers would seem to be the ideal destination for him, they have a good team and could afford to put him in good spots (PP rifleman) for offense. I actually think Yakupov to the Rangers might be the best thing for everyone, depending on return. Don’t expect a massive return though, and the Rangers don’t need wingers. Maybe a winger for winger deal? No idea.

MacT’s choices on Yakupov: Trade him, wait for summer and a tough negotiation (what on EARTH do you pay the guy?) or deal him on draft day. There’s not much good news here.

marincinfergusonSending Marincin down caught many by surprise, but I think it was driven by two things: The Oilers had to get him some playing time and I think Oscar Klefbom is in the NHL to stay (barring injury/slumps/sideburns). It gives Edmonton some impressive insurance (Marincin is a good hockey player, despite the struggles of this season) and it gives them (perhaps) a trading chip to wrap around another asset (this is my 3-for-1 speech for the day).

Dave Shapiro at Blue Seat Blogs wrote about Marincin (and Petry) as trade targets for the NY Rangers recently (article is here). I want to quote Dave from the article:

• I think J.T. Miller is the starting point in any deal for either defenseman. Miller is getting to the “too good for the AHL” discussion, but there aren’t any open spots on this year’s club. With Derek StepanDerick BrassardKevin HayesDominic Moore down the middle, his future is on the wing as well, where the Rangers are stacked now and in the future.

The difficulty for the Oilers of course is that JT Miller isn’t an established player. He did score a point-per-game in the AHL at 20 (implying he’ll be able to play on a skill line) and is a fast train who can play center. I just don’t see that as the play here, suspect MacT will want to give his coach better (more established) cover.

Interesting times, and Manhattan seems to be coming up more and more in the conversation. You’d think Messier could broker a deal over lunch, no?

moroz ferguson 1415

Mitch Moroz photo by Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved

• Rob Tychkowski: It’s been nine years since the Edmonton Oilers were last described as a gritty, hard-working team that nobody wants to play against, which is probably why it’s been nine years since they last made the playoffs. Source

As our friend Woodguy likes to say things like grit and heart do show up in the numbers if they have real value. I believe that. I believe that part of Ryan Smyth’s success came from going to places where he would get a sock in the jaw, and that he made up for a lack of a shot with ‘distance’ goals from the goalmouth. Mr. Tychkowski was talking about Steve Pinizzotto in that piece, but I’m looking farther up the batting order.

Benoit Pouliot was effective before the injury, a big man who drove to the net and created havoc for the opposition. If I’m Mitch Moroz or Jujhar Khaira in the AHL, I volunteer to be that guy and work (as Moroz did with Smyth) on becoming a modern ‘garbage goal’ expert. I understand the appeal for many of a guy like Steve Pinizzotto, but the fact is every team has a bunch of those guys and if this one falters there are several available at any time (they gave up Ryan Martindale for him, as an example).

The guy who will go to the net, lose two teeth but have a puck go off his ass and into the net? Yes, please. Where is that guy?

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

transporter_3_image_PnSNENZ2EjRwWpW

10 this morning, TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. Gordie Howe is recovering, but it’s a long way back. We’ll talk about one of hockey’s major icons.
  • Travis Yost, TSN. What the hell do the Oilers do now? Plus he’ll want to ramble on about the Bills.
  • Dennis King, Oilogosphere Icon. Oilers and what went wrong with Yak, and where to go now.
  • Andrew Bucholtz, 55-Yard Line. Helluva Grey Cup, we’ll also talk about Canadian O-linemen (sexy, I know).

10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. See you on the radio!

563 Responses to "COYOTES AT OILERS, G25 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. Old School G says:

Barry Trotz is a heckuva coach. According to Wikipedia it was not until his 6th season coaching the Predators that he was able to get his club to the post season. He had a few 28 win seasons sprinkled throughout those long, losing seasons.

I love this team, I really do, but I just cannot understand so much about my team these days. Ebs’ contract is the first to expire in 2018-2019, Hall’s next the following season, then Nuge Baby the following season. What exactly are we doing here? I doubt any of the three incredibly talented lads would re-sign here if this type of losing continues on for another 3-4 seasons. Does this even make sense?

And that’s hoping Eakins can/will coach a team as effectively as Barry Trotz which is a whole other thing.

2. TireFire says:

Let’s go Oilers!

*clap clap*

Don’t come back Oilers!

*clap clap*

3. spoiler says:

This season–this rebuild, sorry–isn’t a tire fire. You can put out a tire fire.

This is Fukushima.

4. PhrankLee says:

C-c-c-combo breaker!

5. Captain's Log says:

Special teams. Special teams. Special teams.

6. teddyturnbuckle says:

My Deer,

Somebody has to talk to Eberle about his sweater. Is that a towel around his neck?

7. 99thoilerfan says:

The older woman who hammered the glass at Schultz was pretty damn funny. Reminds of my Dad telling me about the first dates he took my Mom on. They’d go see Gorgeous George the wrestler in Vancouver, and my Dad was the quiet one.

Sounds like he found a keeper too!

8. TheOtherJohn says:

After tonight Oilers DFL…… Draft held tonight we pick no lower than 2OV

9. book¡je says:

Man…and on Stan Weir night.

LT might not post tomorrow.

10. TemujinBC says:

At least McCurdy got to see a pile of goals scored from close-up.

#SmallVictories

11. jzed says:

Jordan Eberle, “well yah, we really need to find a way to win these games….”

How about PLAYING the game at an NHL level, not rocket surgery.

12. D says:

I wonder if the Oil will win another game in 2014?

13. hags9k says:

I don’t think Yak is here past the deadline. This is just not working out, despite how badly so many of us want it to.

He looks miserable out there. I really wonder about that dressing room. Is the “core” a bunch of spoiled a-holes?

14. Henry says:

Well, it’s been a good year for the roses.

15. jp says:

Man oh man oh man. I really feel like the Oilers are actually better this year. On paper and in possession metrics. But this is just beyond ugly. Not sure how I still have any optimism at all.

16. G Money says:

Cameron:
    Wasn’t Nikitin a once-upon-a-time fancy stats darling? I wonder if he is either playing hurt, or if he is going the ‘full Heatley’and just slowly disintegrating before our eyes.

I’m positive he is hurt. He’s too young to Heatleyfy. And I remember watching some of his highlights after the news broke of his signing – hell, even the preseason before he got hurt – and he was quite a bit more mobile than he is now.

I think he’s hurt. Not necessarily hurt in the sense of “it’s going to make it worse”, but certainly in the sense of “it’s sore and it’s weak and I can’t play at full speed”.

And the fact that he’s in and playing big minutes while Marincin is in the minors tells you everything you need to know about the D roster selection for this team.

17. VanOil says:

Is it allowed to trade for a player that is injured? Wining now is obviously against the Oilers best interest. So if we trade Purcell for Anisimov while retaining $1 Million of Purcell’s contract per year would that be allowed? The Jackets need warm bodies now and the Oilers need NHL Centers in the future. It would be a master class in Tank battles allowing other NHL teams to hate the Oilers not pity them.

18. G Money says:

hags9k: I’ll predict the zombies upstairs will get a solid 5-6 defensive defensemen for him, and then try and sell us on the deal with a straight face.

If the trades and roster signing stay true to expected form, I imagine we’ll see Petry traded for a gritty fourth liner, and Klefbom scratched in favour of Aulie.

Because Oi … sigh … never mind.

19. danny says:

I watched “There will be blood” again last night such a perfect movie.

That’s all I have left to say. That and goodnight everyone.

20. jzed says:

VanOil,

Only do it if you can throw in Jultz and Niikki. Can sweeten with a bag of pucks , if necessary.

21. G Money says:

I think I discovered the Oilers’ problem.

A friend of mine on Facebook just posted one of those annoying New Agey memes. It says:

The world is full of nice people.

If you can’t find one, be one.

And the Oilers read it and believe it.

And every night they skate out on the ice, can’t find any nice people, so they decide to be the nice ones.

22. hags9k says:

LT, I’m eager to read a “Hard Target Search” goalie edition. We need you to find Ben Bishop again. wtf are they going to do with this never-ending mess in the crease.

Andrew Ference “Have some pride that you’re in this league and putting on the jersey… This has to come from the players.”

24. VanOil says:

This thread feels good. Bruce and WG are slashing ankles (but nothing too severe, just let ‘em know you’re there) we have some kind of over under, good Stan Weir items coming in and someone said beer.

I have a good feeling about tonight. (Hunter, you might want to screen grab this now, in case I decide to delete in the second period)

25. Kmart99 says:

Hey, thank goodness they assigned MM to OKC. That worked perfectly.

26. McSorley33 says:

Pretty easy solution….Nicholson needs to clean house.

Long, long overdue…..

I am sure Scotty Howson will find work very quickly…..

27. LostBoy says:

Old School G,

I guess I don’t see why the Eakins hire gets to be Year Zero. We were already clearly three seasons into a rebuild by then (and for what it’s worth, it had been showing incremental improvement almost across the board from year to year until Eakins put things in reverse).

Nashville took 5 years, but Trotz came in with an expansion team with a bunch of mooks. They got one top-5 draft pick during those years, and ended up with Legwand, who became the franchise center because there was never any alternative.

Eakins came in with three first overall picks on his roster. There’s no real comparison.

I’ve given up whining about it, mostly, but what’s gone on around here the past two seasons is like some kind of Stockholm Syndrome. This level of sustained failure, after three years of rebuild preceding it when actual clear, year on year, progress was shown, is without obvious precedent. Yet it’s just kind of been normalized. Fans pack the building. Bloggers say stay the course.

GF went up under dumb ol’ Tambo’s teams and his coaches. Three years straight. GA went down. Three years straight. Standing points went up. Three years straight. (All extrapolating the lockout to 82 games, natch.)

The last year, it was all western conference. The same western conference we now can’t win a single game against.

Then it crashed and burned. And this year it’s even worse.

But it’s all good.

It’s like an alternative universe.

[Edit: when I say “three years straight” I mean over three seasons. It should probably read “two years straight” in terms of year over year improvement.]

28. Kmart99 says:

danny:
    I watched “There will be blood” again last night such a perfect movie.

That’s all I have left to say. That and goodnight everyone.

I drink your milkshake!!!

29. G Money says:

spoiler:
    This season–this rebuild, sorry–isn’t a tire fire.You can put out a tire fire.

This is Fukushima.

Fukushima is relatively new.

This rebuild is Chernobyl. Just like the Oilers, it was last good in the 80s.

Bonus points: we can blame the Russians.

30. Dicky94 says:

G Money,

They could also change their names to the Grizzlies since they tend to hibernate every fall.

31. Gerta Rauss says:

hags9k: wtf are they going to do with this never-ending mess in the crease.

If this ain’t a mess, it’ll do til the mess gets here

32. Kmart99 says:

Captain’s Log:
    Special teams. Special teams. Special teams.

Oilers are a ‘special’ team.

33. McSorley33 says:

Curious if anyone -still-feels if we are going in the ***right direction*** ?

34. G Money says:

Dicky94:
    G Money,

Yeah that works. Plus they’re little, can be described as a circus act, and can be found on the golf course very early in summer:

35. My Deer says:

G Money: Because Oi …

Because Ohfers!

Four and a half years!

G Money: Fukushima is relatively new.

Four and a half years!

36. Soup Fascist says:

When was the last time Management – not the coach – have faced questions from the media? Any plans for a “town hall meeting” with the fans and the Oiler brain trust ?

My torch is in the shop and these pitch forks don’t sharpen themselves.

37. OilClog says:

McSorley33:
    Curious if anyone -still-feels if we are going in the ***right direction*** ?

Yes, it’s wonderful

38. My Deer says:

McSorley33:
    Curious if anyone -still-feels if we are going in the ***right direction*** ?

McDavid – Eichel?

Gene Principe @GenePrincipe · 56s 56 seconds ago

“Our execution in certain areas is mind boggling.” Dallas Eakins on night for Edmonton in 5-2 loss vs. Arizona

40. Ice Sage says:

This team doesn’t know how to win. Period. They’ve lost before they lace them up.

The only thing sadder is all of us pretending there’s something good in there so, with apologies to Renton in ‘Trainspotting’:

‘we are ‘a nation of wankers colonized by wankers’

(Stan Weir piddled himself tonight rather than get off the couch)

41. G Money says:

Gene Principe @GenePrincipe·56s 56 seconds ago

Like … roster selection on D?

Like … puck movement on the PP?

Like … zone entries AND exits?

42. Ice Sage says:

Dicky94:
    G Money,

THe Vancouver Grizzlies, the prior yardstick of Canadian sports team futility, were a Dream Team compared to this outfit

43. G Money says:

Ice Sage,

I actually thought the first period was OK. The Dogs were lucky to only be down by one. (But then, that’s the only kind of luck the Oilers get is for the other team).

What happened is this team either starts complacent, or they start decent and then get fat and happy faster than any other team I’ve ever seen. (Note to Krueger fans: I wrote EXACTLY those words here during his reign).

There was no mental intensity or focus on that PP to start the second, and in the blink of an eye they’re down by a goal.

This team is too fragile (among its many many other faults) to survive that kind of happening.

And that kind of happening is an every-game thing.

But I really can’t fault the way they started this game. For a change, they didn’t lose it before the buzzer sounded, they lost it between the 1st and 2nd.

Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe 3m3 minutes ago

“I’m not going to give up on this team.” Dallas Eakins

45. LostBoy says:

Gene Principe @GenePrincipe·56s 56 seconds ago

Um, so, what, we’re waiting for Dallas to convince them that executing is a good idea? How long is that going to take again?

Send in Mike Keenan and see how they like it. Hey, he scared a bunch of Russians into winning the KHL championship last year.

Rob Tychkowski @Sun_Tychkowski · 2m 2 minutes ago

“Floating around expecting another team to lie down because you’re so great? It doesn’t happen.” – Ference.

Rob Tychkowski @Sun_Tychkowski · 2m 2 minutes ago

“We start a period with a power play, you’re looking for some jump. You allow two (SHG) on the same power play? It’s a joke.” – Ference

48. kooler says:

Next time the Oil are I town I might just have to let my 8 year old wear his Canuck jersey.

Put Eakins on waivers and bring Nelson up.

49. Zangetsu says:

jzed,

“We need to engage hyperspeed or we’re gonna lose this patient.”

50. Pouzar says:

Thank Gord the tough part of the schedule is finally over.

51. Zelepukin says:

My Deer: McDavid – Eichel?

Exactly. No one can find ways to lose like the Oilers can. 2 shortys by the same player on the same PP? I’d like to see Buffalo or Colombus try that. It’s not easy.

Hopefully by 15 in a row, CLB and BUF have wracked up a couple more wins to create some distance. The moment we’ve got some gap, I can see the McDavid bandwagon being so full that no one will even care to tune into games, or listen to press conferences or bicker about what we need to do to be better.

52. YEG FOLK says:

Schedule gets really heavy the next couple weeks. This will only get WAY worse before it ever gets better if left to continue as is. The real entertainment value will now be watching the three stooges of ownership and management try to sell their way out of this mess they’ve created. Before they get a chance this thing needs a firm Martin Scorsese wrap up like Good Fellas or Casino.

53. hunter1909 says:

VanOil: Quoted for Hunter. This blog is so much more enjoyable than the games. Thank you.

54. Old School G says:

LostBoy,

Agree, there is no comparison between the states of the teams that Trotz and Eakins coached. I was more touching on the point that Trotz’s first NHL coaching position was with Nashville, Eakins’ with our Oilers. If it took Trotz 6 seasons to hone his craft and lead his team to the post season, what’s Eakins timeline? Who knows?

I completely agree with your further points, it is a strange and weird alternative universe, to find reason is a near impossible task best left to LT. Your Stockholm Syndrome reference was brilliant, got me laughing pretty hard!

Ryan Rishaug:

Andrew Ference with some strong criticism of the dressing room. Didn’t name names but called it “a joke” some of what’s happening in there. Ference was referring to certain players having to be convinced to be happy to be in NHL and not moping around feeling sorry for themselves.Says its been addressed countless times in room. Eakins admitted it’s an issue but wouldn’t elaborate at all. Says it’s an internal issue

56. smellyglove says:

Burn it. Burn it all down.

I keep cheering for these losses. Two wins in five and ~50% Fenwick give management, coaching, ownership, and the enabling media and blogosphere just enough traction to feed the ‘patience’ narrative. We all know, deep in our hearts, that this won’t work out. Be honest with yourself. You know it’s true. The high bar for this team, with the obligatory odd deck chair shuffled, is 10th in the conference.

We’ve got to hit rock bottom, real rock bottom first. This is beyond “heavy drinker, get’s DUI wake-up call, then talks themselves into a glass of wine at staff Christmas party nine months later”. This is full on “overdose, heart attack, last rights prepared” time of last ditch revitalization.

A 17 game losing streak should finally purge everyone. And then we can wake up and it will be morning in Oil Country. To think, the Oilers are worse than last year with shored up depth, #1s and their young cohort with +1 experience, and a relatively healthy team.

57. hunter1909 says:

Time to start up the:

Hunter1909’s: “We don’t even watch the games anymore, we just post on Lowetide” Club.

58. Pouzar says:

Ryan Rishaug:

I think if we are honest with ourselves we can take a guess on a few of these individuals.

59. Clay says:

Ryan Rishaug:

60. hunter1909 says:

This team is wiping the smile off Eakin’s face.

61. hunter1909 says:

Clay: So the rumblings about Hall being a negative influence in the dressing room may be true?

I’d say it’s true. The little shit hates losing.

62. book¡je says:

Rob Tychkowski @Sun_Tychkowski·2m 2 minutes ago

I think its fair to say that there is a perception of an entitlement problem by the ‘core’ of the team. Not sure if it is all of them or just some of them. The coach doesn’t help by giving Schultz golden minutes throughout the games.

63. Hunter1910 says:

hunter1909:
    Time to start up the:

Let’s roll!

64. Dicky94 says:

YEG FOLK,

Sad thing is I keep watching and it’s the same thing over and over again. I will be watching again on Wednsday even though It’s getting harder to watch the games. Like two hours of waterboarding.

65. hags9k says:

smellyglove:
    And then we can wake up and it will be morning in Oil Country.

^ This.

Cmon Katz, clean the slate.

66. Pouzar says:

Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 51s51 seconds ago
    To set record straight, Rieder asked for trade because he couldn’t see himself making young Oiler F group.#oilers.

It’s been addressed by others here “in the know” as well so can we please abolish this silly narrative once and for all? Thanks.

67. book¡je says:

Ryan Rishaug:

I think that is as much a symptom of the issues of this team as anything. Seriously, on any other team, the other three lines and goalies win a few games in a row and get things moving during periods of time when the top line is not doing well. However, on this team those lines are handicapped because the GM doesn’t understand how to build a team and how to address the issues on defence.

68. Alpine says:

As much as the prospect of winning McDavid while losing MacT and Lowe in the process is the necessary action to follow, I’m just so sick of the annual death march that I can’t bear to sit through another listless 55 games. I’m torn between wanting everything to go downhill & for the aforementioned situation to occur, and wanting some quick fix feeling of a half decent ‘roster’ starting to learn how to win games to carry some momentum into next season.

Pouzar:
    Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty51s51 seconds ago

70. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Absolutely. As long as we can agree that the scouting staff should get credit for finding a good player in the fourth round, I have no quarrel with it.

Definitely.

71. Zelepukin says:

smellyglove: 17 game losing streak should finally purge everyone. And then we can wake up and it will be morning in Oil Country. To think, the Oilers are worse than last year with shored up depth, #1s and their young cohort with +1 experience, and a relatively healthy team.

I buy into this completely. Surely there is a # by which Katz steps in and cleans house. It might be 17, it might be 25, it might be 50. Either way, the conversation surely will start to shift from being about Eakins getting canned, to everyone.

72. TheOtherJohn says:

Wonder if Ference gets traded for having the nerve to suggest some of the Oiler young core is floating around out there

73. G Money says:

Alpine:
    As much as the prospect of winging McDavid while shooting MacT and Lowe in the process is the necessary pump action to follow, I’m just so sick of the annual death march that I can’t grizzly bear to sit through another listless 55 games. I’m tarn between wanting everything to go downhill & for the aforementioned situation to occur, and wanting some quick fix feeling of a half decent ‘rooster’ starting to learn how to win big game to carry some momentum into next hunting season.

I have no idea why I had the urge to edit your post with a hunting theme.

All I know is that it was more enjoyable than watching an Oiler game.

74. LostBoy says:

Old School G,

I agree that it’s not impossible that Eakins, in the right circumstances, could turn out to be a decent coach. Many of the details have been paid attention to this year and the underlying systems seem solid.

But not here. Not now. Not with these results.

75. VanOil says:

hunter1909: Everyone’s blaming me now. I confess. It’s all my fault the Oilers are in 1st OV tonight. I don’t even have to watch the games anymore. It’s like I’ve attained NHL enlightenment. Thank you Mr. Katz.

The wise Buddhi Hunter.

Joanne Ireland @jirelandEJ · 53s 53 seconds ago

“It’s not a chore to come in here & play professional hockey. To see it some times, you’d think that it is.” Oilers captain Andrew Ference

77. G Money says:

Watch the Dolphins-Jets highlights.

Jets = Oh so very Oilers.

Hilarious.

78. TheOtherJohn says:

Comments like those above out of the room could result in a watershed

What would be catastrophic for management would be if Boyd Gordon points at Ference and is quoted as saying in his Spartan way “what he said”

79. G Money says:

So who is Ference referring to?

I didn’t think Schultz had that bad a game. Nikitin was horrible of course, but he can’t frickin skate. Someone’s going to rag on Yak, but I thought he played a decent game and should have cashed twice, once when his stick exploded and the other on absolute robbery from Smith.

Ebs and RNH were all the way from bad to excellent and back again. They weren’t the problem but they weren’t part of the solution either. And that’s a bad thing.

Drai, Purcell, Arco, Gordon, Pitlick, Gazdic all worked hard but weren’t effective.

I thought Fayne had a rough game, Klef and Ference were decent, Petry was the only really good defender.

If he’s the problem, we are in deep deep shit.

80. bretskigretzky says:

I’m thoroughly sick of this. How is this kind of losing ok?

Tier two fans need to be heard.

81. book¡je says:

Joanne Ireland @jirelandEJ·53s 53 seconds ago

Ference isn’t in year 5…

Honestly, I think management has broken some of these guys. They were pretty confident and cocky coming in and I just don’t think they believe in the future of the Oilers anymore. It’s hard to be enthusiastic when you no longer believe.

MacT should have given his team some depth and not put the entire success of the team on a single line of players.

82. book¡je says:

bretskigretzky:
    I’m thoroughly sick of this. How is this kind of losing ok?

Tier two fans need to be heard.

Yeah, nobody’s giving you money.

83. kooler says:

G Money,

Doesn’t Hall own the first shortie with the lazy skate pass?

84. G Money says:

G Money: Someone’s going to rag on Yak, but I thought he played a decent game and should have cashed twice, once when his stick exploded and the other on absolute robbery from Smith.

Just perusing the fancystats … Yak lead the team in EV Corsi (71%), shots (3), and shot attempts (6).

Snakebit.

85. Zelepukin says:

G Money: To my eyes, the worst offender for lazy and irresponsible hockey was Taylor Hall.

well he definitely is still making rookie mistakes.

I was trying to think if there has been any silver linings so far and unfortunately there is zero. Nuge is probably the closest, in that he is stronger, shooting more and by eye his face-off ability has improved. Yaks would be second in terms of defensive awareness and foot speed but he still far off from being an impact player every game.

At least last year we had Perron providing secondary scoring and the late season push by Marincin. This season almost everyone has regressed, except our 4th line solution. Ebs appears to be the worst he has ever been, Hall is up and down, Jultz is not improving and our goaltending is horrifically inconsistent.

86. TemujinBC says:

Last week the eight year old commented on the fans wearing Oiler jerseys in the stadium, saying that he really wanted one. And it had to be #4 Hall, of course. Christmas is just around the corner and it’s what he really wants.

He knows they are a terrible team and don’t win very much, but it’s what he wants.

How do I talk him out of it so I can save a hundred bucks and not have to support this nightmare of an org!

Rob Tychkowski ‏@Sun_Tychkowski 8m8 minutes ago

And finally, Ference on punishing repeat offenders: “Constantly being considered a loser… is probably the biggest punishment you can have.”

88. G Money says:

kooler,

Yes, absolutely. That’s one of the examples of lazy careless play.

He also took a lazy penalty. The puck was up in the air and instead of charging in and battling for position and the puck, he just cross checked the Dogs player to the ice, a 100% guaranteed penalty on a play that could have been neutralized with slightly better positioning and more effort.

That was what lead to the 3-1 goal.

89. book¡je says:

G Money:
    So who is Ference referring to?

If he’s the problem, we are in deep deep shit.

I think Taylor Hall is the problem on a last place team, but he is not the problem.

I just think he has been broken by the Oilers which is terrible. He has been here 5 years all of which he has performed reasonably well, but the team has been constructed terribly and has seen coaching changes every year (counting changing assistants). Honestly, I think he is damaged goods who could be great if he actually felt like there was a team around him that could win.

You watch other teams and the 2nd through 4th line sometimes carry the game. That never happens with the Oilers and I think the first line has just fallen into melancholy.

90. Clay says:

G Money:
    So who is Ference referring to?

I didn’t think Schultz had that bad a game.Nikitin was horrible of course, but he can’t frickin skate.Someone’s going to rag on Yak, but I thought he played a decent game and should have cashed twice, once when his stick exploded and the other on absolute robbery from Smith.

Ebs and RNH were all the way from bad to excellent and back again.They weren’t the problem but they weren’t part of the solution either.And that’s a bad thing.

If he’s the problem, we are in deep deep shit.

I think you’re right.

91. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

I don’t care if Krueger was a more capable coach or not, but the man must be having a ground hog day morning after every Oilers game of coffee through the nose spraying, accidental fart releasing, uncontrollable eye twitching, lung butter spewing, wall rattling laughter from his UK flat on the karma raining down on MacT and the Oilers management at boning the man over Skype the way they did. Honestly, this is right up there for an unending and tortuous example of you get what you reap.

Say what you will however, Krueger was a quality of leader that he would have profound empathy for the players that fought with and for him. His judgment is reserved for management and their actions. This karma thing can be the only reason I can fathom we are here today.

92. YEG FOLK says:

Alpine,

Waiting on the latter to self-correct is a fools game. This management team cannot be allowed to make one more decision. Full stop. Now we’re getting to a stage of real-time public airing of dressing room grievances, which is almost unheard of but yet where we’re at now. Terrible it has come to this after so many rebuild years, but you cannot allow this management team who have perpetuated this mess to be allowed to make the decisions necessary to try to correct it going forward. You just can’t and somehow expect a different outcome.

I think LT and the bright minds on this blog have had the problems surrounded for years. If I could give $0.02 worth of advice to Katz – hire Ray Ferraro as your hockey guy to give you wise counsel (although he’s too smart to jump on at this time).

I don’t think we know who Ference is refering to, but those words have some iron. I don’t know if they’ll have any impact (good or bad) but would like to mention that Hall (who had a bad game) appears to be less than 100% and maybe trying to do it all himself.

End rant.

94. book¡je says:

kooler:
    G Money,

Doesn’t Hall own the first shortie with the lazy skate pass?

I think Schultz owns that one with the poor drop pass that set in place two panicked response passes.

95. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAint'sSo! says:

G Money,

I’ve been worried about this for quite a while lately but you know there’s probably some truth to it.

A few games ago Perron snapped about certain players refusing to dump the puck in, skating one on three and turning the puck over. That game Hall was directly responsible for two goals against and we hear on Lowetide immediately pointed Perron towards the exit. Now the Oilers have their captain saying the same kinda thing about unmentionable players.

Cheating on breakouts, lazy passes on zone entries, bad changes and my favourite the disappearing Nuge Act…

Lindy Ruff sat a select few players in the WC a few years ago for a reason. Maybe we are just a little late to the party.

96. book¡je says:

I think if the references are Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, Yakupov or any combination of the above, you have to blame Management.

Such a collection of really good players don’t arrive with bad attitudes.

97. Robinthe403 says:

G Money,

My gut tells me Ference is talking about #4 and you are right, if that is indeed the case, then we are in for more hell than a little bit. Organizationally, this could be nuclear winter for the Oilers.

98. Robinthe403 says:

book¡je,

Jeezus, Ference is pretty much taking aim at wunderkinds with laser-guided bombs. I have a sinking feeling this is not going to end well, at all.

99. Lucinius says:

Personally, I’ve stopped watching the games. I just can’t take it anymore. This team is so bad I’m losing my interest in the god damn sport.

The team has problems from the very top (Katz) to the very bottom of the NHL roster. About the only thing that doesn’t suck is when you get below the NHL level.

The team has a number of absolutely sublime players.. who, quite simply, refuse to play NHL hockey for more than 20 minutes a night. It has coaching that doesn’t have a god damn clue when it comes to the defense or special teams. The team has a well known and well chronicled history of playing players hurt and rushing them back from injury.

All in all this team is nothing short of a god damn joke. Top to bottom. However, so long as the fans show up and buy shit there is zero cause for Katz to drive change because the Oilers keep accruing value because the fans will, apparently, put up with anything. This is, sadly, the team the fans deserve, imo. Anytime shit goes awry.. the excuses come out instead of the knives. Advanced stats show we’re better?

Doesn’t matter when you’re 30th in the league and on pace for 52 god damn points. The team sucks, full stop.

Hell, at this point all I want is for the Oilers to trade RNH, Yakupov, Marincin. Petry should escape in the off-season. Draisatl.. just pity him and move on. First pick this year? Mourn for the poor bastard. Hell, McDavid probably broke his hand on purpose hoping it’d let him slide down the draft order to escape the Oilers!

Just wake me up when the Oilers look like a credible organization by any definition of the word. I want to know when the apocalypse starts.

100. Old School G says:

LostBoy,

Agreed sir, not the right team and time, not his fault, just the way it’s going.

101. kooler says:

book¡je,
    True….50/50 on that one, Hall could of made a better effort though.

102. Robinthe403 says:

Rob Tychkowski ‏@Sun_Tychkowski 8m8 minutes ago

I think this quote has the potential to be VERY incendiary within the room. Honestly, at this point, I welcome the controversy and drama. It’s about time some folks were made to feel very uncomfortable. Being comfy hasn’t really panned out too well to date. I love a good train wreck, makes for very compelling viewing. We wait.

1) Where have you gone Rusty Patenaude?

2) Dallas “Toonces” Eakins. Fool me one, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. But then you never fooled me at all. I called it. A totally dysfunctional locker room two years in a row. #notacoach

104. book¡je says:

Here is a fuller quote from the Journal

“We’re in no position to be relaxing,” Ference said about the sloppy start to the second period. “You start a period with a power play, you’re looking for some jump, you’re looking for some momentum.

“I think it’s a matter of falling into old habits, floating around and expecting another team to lie down because you’re so great. It doesn’t happen. We made the same mistakes, it has cost us games and it definitely puts you in a hole.”

I don’t know if those are contiguous quotes, but if they are, its clearly about Schultz, Hall, and RNH (or some of them) as they were the players to bobble the puck.

However, I think a reality check is needed. On other teams, the goalie saves a few mistakes, the 2nd and 3rd line pop a few here and there and momentum is restored.

I do think the ‘kids’ are depressed and underperforming, but they are depressed and underperforming because they have never played on a team where they could rely upon the players around them to play NHL hockey. That is on the GM(s).

105. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAint'sSo! says:

book¡je,

There was no signal from this loss that the Oilers are on the right path, nothing to hold onto as a positive. Ference’s frustration boiled over following the game.

Asked to clarify whether he has seen players moping in the locker-room, Ference was emphatic: “Well, yeah. You can’t see it? I think it would be obvious to some people. It’s not everybody (on the team). Whether it’s in practice, whether it’s in pre-game skates, whether it’s in games sometimes, in-between periods. Obviously, you guys (reporters) can’t see it in here.”

Asked whether, as captain, he had confronted any of the unnamed players about their attitude.

“Oh yeah, how many times,” Ference said. “Like I said, you guys can’t run in here all the time between periods or before games.

“You don’t hear what the coaches say, you don’t hear what I say. But, it’s not magical speeches, it’s fundamental things that winning hockey teams do. And that has to happen, the action has to happen.”

Action has to happen, all right. And soon. Despite senior management’s pledge to stay the course, this isn’t working.

Even if the coach has not lost the room, the team is losing its fan base. Enough is enough.

All quoted from http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers/Edmonton+Oilers+Arizona+Coyotes/10431743/story.html

106. G Money says:

book¡je,

I watched the goal in slow mo and I just can’t agree (and I’m no fan of Jultz).

Jultz is the lead skater and he is skating through the blue line with all four Coyotes in front of him. He makes the drop pass to Eberle just behind the blue line. At that point, three of the Yotes are on the other side of the red line, and the one who isn’t is skating that way so just a moment after the puck moves back, all four Yotes are on the other side of the red line:

At this point, the Oiler are actually in decent attacking formation, with Eberle getting a bit of pressure from a single defender, but three Oilers, Ebs, Hall, and Schultz in the clear. It’s Eberle that is the other culprit besides Hall IMO. Without that much pressure, he makes a very sloppy pass at this point, halfway between RNH and Hall.

(splitting this into multiple posts because it’s sitting in moderation because of too many links!)

107. book¡je says:

One last thing, if the top line + Yak and Shultz are the problem you sit them every once in a while. The only problem is that Eakins doesn’t have the depth to do this.

108. G Money says:

The puck goes just past RNH’s stick but into Hall’s skate, but at this point, there still really isn’t that much danger (if you look closely, you can see the puck just at Hall’s skate):

Knowing that Rieder is closing the gap, what Hall needs to do is make a hard play on the puck. What he does instead is just kind of casually kick it over to RNH. You can’t see it at this angle, but other replays they’ve shown make it clear just how casual that play is. The puck of course never makes it to RNH, instead Rieder knocks it with his stick and now it’s a jailbreak the other way:

Jultz in fact is at the blue line all the way at the other side of the ice and is the only one that makes an all-out effort to get back:

(That incredible skating is one reason Jultz seems to have so much potential)

It’s those lazy and/or casual plays at critical moments that are the killer.

109. G Money says:

book¡je: Such a collection of really good players don’t arrive with bad attitudes.

That’s not always true. Tyler Seguin had to be traded before he started taking the game seriously.

I don’t argue with the fact that management is a huge, maybe the prime culprit.

Maybe Krueger, if he let the youngsters run wild and didn’t instill an iota of defensive responsibility in any of them (which looks like it may have been the case), wears a lot of it as well.

But at some point, we have to recognize these ‘kids’ are veterans of multiple NHL seasons. They have to wear some of it eventually.

110. Clay says:

book¡je:
    One last thing, if the top line + Yak and Shultz are the problem you sit them every once in a while.The only problem is that Eakins doesn’t have the depth to do this.

Ya, but isn’t it a moot point – the lack of depth? They’ve lost 10 in a row. If they sit one of the wonderkids and substitute a lesser player, does it really matter if they lose another one now? Maybe send a message that if the team is going to lose, it may as well be with players that appreciate the opportunity to play NHL hockey.

111. G Money says:

And just so it’s clear: I’m not blaming this (all) on the youngsters.

More asking the question whether the fingers pointed at management and coaching are the only fingers in play.

(That sounds unintentionally dirty, so it’s a great time to hit the hay).

Good night fellow Ohfer fans.

112. TheOtherJohn says:

Per Bruce McCurdy on Twitter:
    Since 2009 #Oilers have had 43 draft picks in 2nd round or later.
    They have scored 7 NHL goals.
    Tobias Rieder has 4, others combined have 3.

113. Clay says:

TheOtherJohn:
    Per Bruce McCurdy on Twitter:
    Since 2009 #Oilers have had 43 draft picks in 2nd round or later.
    They have scored 7 NHL goals.
    Tobias Rieder has 4, others combined have 3.

Wow.

G Money: T

Krueger had a -9 GD in 48 games, all against the Western Conference (and ended up with 45 points), and a GAA well under 3.

Eakins has a -31 GD in 25 games. Last year he had a -67 GD in 82 games. With a GAA well over 3.

Compared to Eakins squad, Krueger’s were star pupils in defensive responsibility.

115. Dark Asia says:

In the spring of 2013 a young plucky team played through all kinds of adversity for a rookie coach, with no TC and an all west schedule – only to find itself in a playoff position after they realized their offensive potential in a rout of the hated Canucks which chased Luongo from the net. It was a rollercoaster season but they had overcome and were in the playoff hunt. Then unbelievably, management shamefully repeated at the trade deadline what it did all season – refuse to bring in players to bolster the team. Not surprisingly the team wilted down the home stretch and this gave President the excuse he needed to ax the sockpuppet GM who was hired to manage the tank and bring back his buddy with no experience in his place. Then they fired the rookie coach (over skype) who finally made it fun again to play in EDM and replaced him with another guy who had no business in the NHL at that level.

That’s when I said frack this and told all of you what the future would hold for a management group that sunk that low and did that kind of stuff. There is only one chance left now or this whole rebuild goes down in flames. They have to fire every old boy in the org NOW and bring in people that the players, agents and the fans respect. It is the one and only option and if Katz doesn’t do it then the fans who continue to pay good money for this mess deserve what they get sad to say. Crap I knew it would be bad but this is astounding and still people can’t see the reason.

116. russ99 says:

Lose to the Jets and we’re going 0-for-December or until Eakins is axed, whichever comes first.

Rieder – it so gratifying to know you’re right about something…

I really hope Katz puts a moratorium on trades until Eakins is gone and we can get a look at some of these guys under a less stubborn/confrontational manager.

Also, until MacT is either axed or is given a right scolding about these inane roster moves based on favoritism and not about putting the best team on the ice.

Ference after the game parroting Eakins “we’re going to play this way, it’s going to work” nonsense is sickening. He should take a long look in the mirror himself.

117. anonymous says:

When do we start talking about G.M. continuity?

If they allow a trade of any young players before they ax this coach they should be all taken behind the woodshed.

Sacrificing Eberle, Yak or even Marincin before qualified, experienced people are in place is nonsense. How much koolaid can one fan base drink?

Simple facts are losing starts at the top and no organization would keep any of these people.

Assholes.

118. anonymous says:

Joanne Ireland @jirelandEJ·53s 53 seconds ago

Stupid quote.

It should be a chore or you’re probably not working hard enough.

119. blainer says:

This will be a hard long season but all will be forgotten when McDavid or Eichel come on board. It will be necessary to part with one of Ebs or Hall in order to get the depth we need to compete. Yak or Shultz won’t get us that. I see Shultz on waivers at some point next year. Stay the course .. finish thirtieth. Easy for me to say though as I have stopped watching most of the games. My only worry is that this Org ends wasting that pick like the thrashers did with Kovalchuck.

120. jake70 says:

Just learning of the result on Oilers website. Went right to boxscore….2 shorties. Just Wow.

121. "Frank The Dog" says:

Well here I am on a sleepless nigh in an out of town hotel thinking how fortunate I am to have had a dinner with my loved one rather than ruin the evening by watching last night’s debacle.
    If you’ll forgive me I’ll repeat my pre-game comment here:
    ===============
    No Hendricks No Pouliot, playing Nikitin and Schulz, MM down in OKC. Expecting a win?
    Edit: Oh, and playing Gazdic and not Pak.
    ===============
    Having said that, Quinn alluded to core players being the problem which I think is where the whole intangibles, eye glow and sideburns discussions started. since then we’ve gone full circle through coaches, assistants, GM’s and secondary players.

This lengthy collapse, giving up on the coach thing has been going on since the 2008-9 season when MacT himself declared he had tried every trick in the book to turn the team around and had nothing left to offer. There is nobody left at any level since that happened.

Maybe the only answer id to blow up Rexall and build a new arena somewhere else. Oh wait……
    ==============
    Seriously though, Katz is in this too deep now not to have to turn this thing around. He can walk away from the arena and the team in a heartbeat – he’s playing mostly with other people’s money here sans personal guarantees – but he has heavily invested in land and construction around the site of the new arena, and all of that collapsing could feasibly cause him extreme financial prejudice if not bankrupt him.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if in order to back away from the BOB Katz were to sign the management of the team over to the NHL for a 3 or 5 year period, similar to what happened to the ‘Yotes, except that that team was bankrupt at the time with no-one willing to step up to ownership.
    For my own mental wellbeing I’ve had to take less of an interest in this team. I did take an occasional look at the boxscore until the start of the second period and that was that. Got a sound night’s sleep and back on the road home today.

I’m thinking of the cartoon with a fellow bound and gagged lying across a railway line with a train heading his way, holding up a note saying, “this too shall pass” , and so it will, in the worst possible way.

122. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

G Money: Fukushima is relatively new.

This rebuild is Chernobyl.Just like the Oilers, it was last good in the 80s.

Bonus points: we can blame the Russians.

Having lived in Japan during that whole disaster, I will just say it is too soon to joke about it. Hundreds of thousands are still in temporary housing, unable to return home. The whole country’s food is still under threat of contamination.

I called the tire fire Chernobyl this weekend as well. As far as I can check, it looks better now (you can even visit parts of it).

123. "Frank The Dog" says:

blainer:

Getting top 2 in next years draft wont solve a single thing. All that will happen is that the present organization will chew up and spit out every good player that comes their way.

The only common denominator left is Katz himself. Whatever constraint he is putting on this team is causing this result regardless of which GM, HC, Assistants, and player roster is in place.

It’s not Lowe. Lowe was once good, he GM’d a cash strapped team all the way to the SC final. MacT coached that team and has improved the roster significantly and better than Tambellini.

If Katz tells Lowe tomorrow to pass the word down that no constraints apply for the rest of the season – the ones that say he can’t sit Hall or Eberle, can’t waive Schultz, etc etc gone – then we might,just might see the right moves made but more likely the total collapse of the team but oh, wait, we’re seeing that right now anyway.

This is a living hell for every single person invested financially or emotionally in this team. A multi layered clusterfrack. as in, fracking, the turning or solid, cohesive matter into a mud slurry.

Bad, bad bad.

124. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

“Frank The Dog”,

I get your point, but the Oilers were not a cash strapped team when they went to the SC Final. St. Louis, however, was, and the Oilers took advantage.

Next summer the Blackhawks will be severely cap-strapped. A good team will get Seabrook and Sharp for very little. Unfortunately the Oilers feel that if they have the cap space they might as well spend it so they won’t be in a position to take advantage. I’ve argued against the overpaying of Schultz, Nikitin, Pouliot, or taking on Purcell’s contract for this very reason, yet people around here will tell me it doesn’t matter because the Oilers have the space and no one will come here without an overpay. Nonsense!

125. MenovOil says:

I thought that the best course of action was to stay the course and get the highest draft pick possible and reassess in the offseason but the harsh reality is this as to stop and it needs to stop NOW. Enough is enough. Double digit losing streak! This is beyond farcical at this point, enough of this bullshit. Fire Lowe and MacT (who should never have been given the job to begin with) and let the new management evaluate the roster for the rest of the year.

126. Ben says:

At this point I’m only hoping for a win as it seems the only way that our bold management team might deign to talk to us about their bold perspective on what has gone so horribly wrong here.

127. flyfish1168 says:

I am very happy the Captain is speaking up. Some of his comments about the young core hits home why management and Eakins feel none of them are ready to lead or anyone of them are ready to take the reigns and be Captain of this team. Constantly making the same ridiculous mistakes.

128. Caribbeerman says:

If there is a cancer in the locker room it will rot the whole team and undermine the CM, Coach and Captain. It must be the FIRST thing that is addressed.

If that player is Taylor Hall you still have no choice but to get rid of him. The good news is that you will probably get a very good payback for him (not 100% but better than Eberle or any other of the “core”) and the rebuild can continue.

But news on a cancer in the room makes perfect sense to me as no team with this much talent can be this bad for so long without showing improvement…or just simple effort.

I’d be focusing my attention on the Flyers and trying to get my hands on Simmonds + + + in a package. Time to change the DNA of this team.

129. Pouzar says:

Given the current playoff drought, the current losing streak, the latest comments from Perron, Scrivens and now the captain I have zero clue about the solution is. Zero. We can talk about a front office sweep from Lowe on down but it’s not happening.

I worry.

130. MenovOil says:

There’s no accountability in this organization for certain players (read Taylor Hall) but you will have a harder time replacing Taylor Hall than the bozos running this team. Bring in new management who won’t come in with the same biases than the current crew already have. New management comes in with a clean slate for everybody but let the players understand that the bullshit that has been going on for the past few years will not be tolerated anymore. It’s either shape up or ship out.

131. "Frank The Dog" says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    “Frank The Dog”,

Next summer the Blackhawks will be severely cap-strapped. A good team will get Seabrook and Sharp for very little. Unfortunately the Oilers feel that if they have the cap space they might as well spend it so they won’t be in a position to take advantage. I’ve argued against the overpaying of Schultz,Nikitin, Pouliot, or taking on Purcell’s contract for this very reason, yet people around here will tell me it doesn’t matter because the Oilers have the space and no one will come here without an overpay. Nonsense!

Fair point about the cap levelling the playing field for cash strapped teams, however, the ownership group still lacked the funds to provide this team with a farm team, let alone a development pipeline, in light of which Lowe’s trading was top notch, if only for that and the seasons prior with the little teams that could. Man, I miss those teams!

132. Ben says:

Nothing will change with this team until ownership finally admits that it should be pronounced “Cats” not “Kaits”.

133. rich says:

flyfish1168:
    I am very happy the Captain is speaking up. Some of his comments about the young core hits home why management andEakins feel none of them are ready to lead or anyone of them are ready to take the reigns and be Captain of this team.Constantly making the same ridiculous mistakes.

This is also what can happen when you continue to just bring teens to the NHL before they are ready. Kids don’t feel they are accountable because they are better than the alternative. They don’t have to earn their minutes every night, it’s handed to them w/no repercussions.

Same thing for a management team that is treated to record revenues and constant sell-outs. Ok, so they have to endure a little heat in the form of a few boo’s and some critical comments on the hockey blogs. Part of the job. Katz is never going to throw the boys on the bus under the bus.

Ever.

134. flyfish1168 says:

Caribbeerman:

I hate to trade Taylor. You can never win a trade when you are trading the best player in the deal. Time someone has the balls to sit him down and show him videos of his mistakes.

135. Hunter1910 says:

Dave Lumley @lummer20
    Somebody in this organization has to put their ‘Big Boy’ pants on, forget about their ego and admit they were wrong about this group.#SoSad
    9:33 PM – 1 Dec 2014

136. Caribbeerman says:

flyfish1168: I hate to trade Taylor. You can never win a trade when you aretrading the best player in the deal. Time someone has the balls to sit him down and show him videos of his mistakes.

137. flyfish1168 says:

rich: This is also what can happen when you continue to just bring teens to the NHL before they are ready.Kids don’t feel they are accountable because they are better than the alternative.They don’t have to earn their minutes every night, it’s handed to them w/no repercussions.

Same thing for a management team that is treated to record revenues and constant sell-outs.Ok, so they have to endure a little heat in the form of a few boo’s and some critical comments on the hockey blogs.Part of the job.Katz is never going to throw the boys on the bus under the bus.

Ever.

So true what you say. That is why I always mention accountability. Eakins didn’t show much last year when benching,HS and calling out players. Management don’t seem to know what accountability means

138. flyfish1168 says:

Caribbeerman: I hear ya but sounds like Coaches and Captain have done that repeatedly – may be time to cut your losses and move on.

That would be the BOLD move.

“Frank The Dog”:

There is no player left on the roster from the Pat Quinn era. The only people left from the Pat Quinn era are Lowe and his merry band of incompetents upstairs.

The only players that pre-date MacT’s return to the organization are Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, and Petry.

Those 4 guys were the best players on a team that had a -9 goal differential in 48 games and 45 points in 48 games against the Western Conference in the lockout season, and finished 24th. The supporting cast was horrid.

So to get from there to where we are now is all on MacT (and Lowe and Eakins and Ference).

140. Redwood Original says:

Caribbeerman:

**IF** you trade Taylor Hall, you must get a 1D or 1C in return, or players with the potential to be that. Wayne Simmonds is a nice player, but him plus parts doesn’t address this teams needs.

141. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

142. Caribbeerman says:

Redwood Original,

Yes….agree that would be nice and probably better that what I suggested in Simmonds + + +. Not sure there is a 1C or 1D in Philly….How about one of those stud D in Nashville?

143. Pouzar says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: You don’t trade Taylor Hall. You don’t trade Nuge. Everyone else on the roster can be had for the RIGHT price, but trade one of those two and the decade of wandering the desert will turn into two

I trade Hall before Nuge. Build from the middle out. I think Hall can bring back the real #1 D we need. Don’t ask me who 🙂

144. book¡je says:

If only this team had more Andrew Ference’s and fewer Taylor Halls! Then everything would be great.

Seriously, enough of this stupidity. Hall is not the problem. He is a symptom. A symptom of A chronically unbalanced roster filled with marginal NHL players most of whom are playing one or two spots above their level.

These types of attitude issues always arise when a team loses 10 games in a row.

145. Pouzar says:

So will I be watching Eakins last game as coach here in the Peg on Wed night?

146. sliderule says:

If Katz is smart and I am sure he is he will put a lock on any major trade till he can get some new management and coaching in place.
    This means that other than firing the coach nothing much will happen till after the draft.

147. cmcousine says:

Hard to believe that Eakins holds on to his job today. If so, we can expect a trade coming shortly. There is no way they do nothing.

148. Ben says:

cmcousine:
    There is no way they do nothing.

Not a student of recent history, huh?

149. book¡je says:

I hope Ference isn’t a mouthpiece for MacT and Lowe and the new way they keep their job is by labeling hall, RNH, and Eberle as depressed.

“we have to rebuild again because we picked the wrong guys”

150. GCW_69 says:

Pouzar:
    Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty51s51 seconds ago

151. Redwood Original says:

Caribbeerman,

Josi from NSH would be nice, Seth Jones too. I’m not sure I build a deal for Weber around Hall unless there is more on both sides to even out age value gap.

152. "Frank The Dog" says:

MenovOil:

Fair point but that’s exactly the manner in which Eakins was brought in by MacT.
    Also, Taylor Hall has spoken up in support of Eakins. we can guess Eberle but one thing for sure, there is division in the dressing room and the sooner the players that refuse to change are swept out the sooner the improvement can begin.

Pat Quinn once alluded to a core of players that were spoilt in a bar conversation up north with someone who pasted a comment here or at ON some time back. However not one single player that played under Quinn is still on the roster. Taylor’s first year was under Renney.

In my earlier comment I said Katz should hand management of the team over to the NHL. On the other hand, he has, to his credit, hired Nichols for just this eventuality.

This is like watching a colorectomy on a relative.

153. Pouzar says:

GCW_69: Timing is everything. By his draft plus two year, the Oilers were labelled smurfs and the rant was “size, size, size”.I don’ think that was the case during his draft plus one year. If they had tried to sign him earlier, say January of his draft plus 1, the Oilers roster would have been a lot less clear. How could he have turned down an offer then?

The onus is not on me here. We have multiple reports of the Rieder situation. We have plenty of reason to bang on the Oilers but this isn’t one of them. But people will believe what they want.

154. "Frank The Dog" says:

godot10: There is no player left on the roster from the Pat Quinn era.The only people left from the Pat Quinn era are Lowe and his merry band of incompetents upstairs.

You can blame MacT for this season and last as GM and for the one or two bad seasons ha had as coach. Having said that he was a really good coach and as GM he has added some really good pieces too. Not perfect but he’s come from a long way back.
    I don’t remember hate for Lowe when he was GM from 2000 to 2008. Since then he’s at best been a moderating influence on Katz and a worst his mouthpiece.

MacT, Eakins, Quinn, Renney, Krueger all had a great deal of success in their careers prior to working for Katz. Katz is the only constant in this clusterfrack. But he’s inextricably involved, and I would guess that his financial interests exceed his ties to the BOB’s, so I would expect he will get the people in that he needs to save face for his new arena, and give his BOB’s the necessary soft landing.

155. "Frank The Dog" says:

sliderule:

I suspect that if Katz is smart enough he will allow the people he hired to make the right hockey decisions.

Anyway I’m off now, take care everyone.

156. Unicorns says:

book¡je:

“we have to rebuild again because we picked the wrong guys”

Spot on.

What is leadership? Can a captain take a team that is fatally flawed and ra ra them into being a playoff team?

Of course not. Leadership here would be putting an end to the blame game which leads to negative emotions, which is not going to lead to becoming productive. It would be showing the young guys that individual players can’t win in hockey, it has to be a team.

It would also be teaching them how to deal with adversity healthily, that all slumps end. The team has no ‘puck luck’ right now which hockey players believe in, and that will change. Chin up, keep working hard, stick together, it’ll get better. And it will.

The very troubling thing here is that it does seem there is blame being used against players. That would be from management. It has happened before when things unsurprisingly go wrong. It is not the right way to do things and it is not correct in judgement of what the problems are.

No core of players would succeed in this Oiler environment. There are double standards and the team has shaky goaltending, no true top pairing, is missing two centres, and has a green coach. How can that set up and it’s lack of success be put on players fairly?

The guidance should be on keeping a good attitude, focusing on team, and keeping heads in games – focus. The good that can be found there is that if balance is addressed next summer this group will tough emotionally and will have experience keeping it together under pressure. It can be a positive if put to good use. These things are necessary to go all the way usually so that tool can be added to the belt now instead of later when they are better.

And also there’s glorious Connor McDavid.

157. book¡je says:

You know, I think it’s time to bring the ping-pong table back into the dressing room.

158. wintoon says:

Listening to all the vitriol aimed at Katz, Lowe and MacTavish is getting old very fast. The problems on the ice are not directly a result of incompetence on their parts. The onus has to be properly placed on the players and the coach.

I have worked in toxic work environments and they were not the fault of senior management. They were because certain workers had crappy attitudes which often included a false sense of entitlement. When MacTavish goes to the market to obtain players he does not go looking for ‘problem children’. He has, however, got a few in his line up. This is what must first be fixed if the Oilers are to improve. Any other approach will just deepen the existing rot.

Patience is also still required. If this means drafting #1 or #2 or #3 in the 2015 draft, so be it. The key is that the Oilers are aiming to be a Stanley Cup contender not just get to the playoffs. Making decisions which could impact the long term direction of the franchise should not be made in anger or frustration.

159. book¡je says:

wintoon:

Daryl?

160. book¡je says:

wintoon,

On a more serious note, are you saying that Hall is making Nikitin, Ference, Arcobello, Gazdic, Pitlick, Draidaitl, Pnizzotto, Aulie, Fasth, and Scrivins all play at sub par levels for the roles that they are being put in?

Maybe, just maybe, Mact and co built a competative AHL team to play in the NHL and Hall and co can’t simply pull up their bootstraps and make it a success.

I am not saying they are playing well (Hall and Co), but rather that even when they were playing really well in the past, the rest of the team was like an anchor. I do think they have given up and if that doesn’t make you angry at management, I don’t know what will.

wintoon:

The problems on ice are directly the result of problems in management.

1) Harry Ballard and his crony management.
    2) Wirtz/Pulford
    3) Jacobs/Sinden

None of this is new. Incestuous management group think where the management are buddy-buddy with the owner.

The last nadir of the Oilers under Sather, had the Oilers offices riddled with Sather’s friends. Sather left when Nichols said the cronies had to go.

Lowe has recreated the bloated management offices now with his cronies, and Nichols himself is now one of the cronies.

Katz has to clean house, like Nichols did in the late nineties.

162. Cameron says:

I know from Flames history that mgt there absolutely would not make a trade during a losing streak, insisting that doing so was always negotiation from a position of weakness.

Sutter waited for a 10 game (ish) losing streak to finish before sending Phaneuf out the door (make of that trade what you will).

My only point here is that the best path forward might be to do nothing until they win a game or two.

Patience is hardest when you need it the most.

« Older Comments