BREATHE

The Edmonton Oilers were quiet today with no signs of anything major on the horizon. The team played well enough last night, but folded late and left fans with nothing to cheer for but a talented team on the losing end. Rumors today had the team soul searching and possibly witch hunting:

That opens up the possibility of firing a coach, but they’ve axed every character actor this side of Walter Brennan and the meter hasn’t clicked. For me, Craig MacTavish won’t fire his coach—we’ve said this all year—before giving his coach a real chance and that means a better center. So it’s a trade.

If we use our heads for more than a hat rack, dealing from strength means a winger heading out of town. Taylor Hall isn’t going anywhere, and apparently the value on David Perron isn’t strong enough to deliver a good center (which is crazy, but let’s leave that aside for now). The big chip appears to be Jordan Eberle, but he’s not 100% and on pace for 16 goals and 52 points. That’s not worth $6 million a year even if you’re underpaying in assets for the privilege.

So, what’s the answer?

Here’s a novel idea. Use the players available to you, including Martin Marincin, that give you the best chance to win. Sit or IR Niki Nikitin, find a way for Justin Schultz to get some confidence back without ruining defensive sorties in the NHL, and play the hell out of Jeff Petry, Mark Fayne, the recalled Marincin and Oscar Klefbom.

Stop. pushing. Schultz. He is what he is, and at this point it isn’t worth losing your job over.

148 Responses to "BREATHE"

1. jake70 says:

What’s the Eberle injury?

2. Ben says:

Just called up the nice people at the CRA and told them not to bother auditing me this upcoming tax season, and that I’m very happy to take on the responsibility of auditing myself. For some reason they didn’t sound entirely convinced…

3. Pretendergast says:

Nurse, get me 50ccs of confidence for Schultz, stat!

4. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

McKenzie says Coyotes ready for big changes, Lebrun says Washington ready to deal.

jake70:
    What’s the Eberle injury?

Shoulder, hand from what we are told.

6. Gordies Elbow says:

jake70,

Two, hand and shoulder. Per comments by Ryan Rishaug, about seeing him in the dressing room bandaged up.

Makes sense, he looks like he can’t grip his stick, and his shots have little velocity. IMO, they should IR him as well – season’s done.

7. sliderule says:

There Is one thing the oilers are doing right and it’s not Corsi or Fenwick which are things that can be influenced by opposition and schedule.
    What are they doing right you might ask.Faceoffs!
    At the moment the oilers rank 13 th in faceoffs at 50.5 percent.This is a big improvement over last few years and is going under appreciated..
    i don’t know whether it is coaches or just working with Boyd Gordon that has brought about the improvement but whoever they deserve credit.

8. Austin Matthews '16 says:

Pretendergast: Nurse, get me 50ccs of confidence for Schultz, stat!

Darnell?

9. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

It just kills me that St Louis got Barbashev with our pick. Especially when reading Bruce’s stat this week about 7 goals total from 2nd rounders or later since 2009. He looks like a stud. And for those who were saying Ehlers was helped by Drouin, well…

I hope the Oilers get Dylan Strome because I don’t want them to finish last or second last.

10. GCW_69 says:

Gordies Elbow:
    jake70,

Oilers won’t put him on IR until he is well and truly messed up, and they will have waited long enough that his recovery from whatever surgery is required lasts so long he can’t train properly next summer.

It’s the oiler way.

11. TheOtherJohn says:

A forensic audit is NEVER done by the organization itself. It has as its very core independence. It as access to all parts of an organization, its books, records and most importantly all personnel. It can ask any question of anyone within the organization.

It is intended to do for an organization what the Auditor General does for the governing party that runs the Alberta government. It is not done by the organization itself. I expect if you asked Doug Horner how Alberta’s fleet of aircraft was being administered he would have answered “ok”.

The fact that the Oilers are doing an internal review themselves and purporting to call it a forensic audit is nonsensical.Nor does it take 48 or 72 hours.

A true forensic audit would take weeks. A FA of our amateur scouting department would take the Oilers master draft list for the last 10 years and see how they had the players listed available in each draft, where they were selected and where and who within the the Oiler scouting department had each player rated. They would also review the idiotic scouting report (if such a report was even created (because OIlers) on Cam Barker and Nikita Nikitan). Who scouted them, who cross checked them, who advocated hiring them, who said lets walk away and interview them to see WTF went wrong. I.e. why were they so very very very wrong.

Oilers? our Forensic audit is expected to take 48-72 hours. In a nutshell…..thats how we got to where we are……

Almost as nonsensical as Leforge blaming the weather for Yotes attendance Monday night

Kypreos twitter

Some strong speculation tonite #Oilers #Bruins revisiting trade talk… told both teams desperate to change things up. Eberle perhaps?

13. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

TheOtherJohn,

“Forensic audit” was Dreger’s choice of words, no? Are we now at the point of witch-hunting Oilers’ management for things they haven’t done? So they’re having an internal review. As they should.

I think you’re better than this semantic argument about the choice of words used by a TV reporter.

14. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Kypreos twitter

The Bruins have been looking for that elusive top line right wing ever since they let Seguin get away. That would make some sense. Would think Subban would be part of the package coming back.

15. DBO says:

Marincin-Petry (not a true top end pairing, but best we have)
    Ference-Fayne (Ference played fine with Fayne earlier. Solid shut down vet pairing)
    Klefbom-Schultz (seems like logical pairing going forward. klefbom can help. Hope Schultz, with gravy zone starts and 3rd pairing minutes and a lot of PP can get confidence. )

– From Washington I woudl love Brouwer. he has been playing centre. is a solid 2 way physical #2 or #3 centre/winger. He helps in all area. Is not too expensive. No idea if they would deal him. Washington also has a ton of D. So a D and Brouwer would be nice. Maybe it means yak and someone the other way, but something has to happen.

16. speeds says:

Does Marincin for Khokhlachev make sense for either team, at least as the starting point of a deal?

17. Rondo says:

I think Ray Ferraro has already done a Full forensic analysis for free for the Oilers.

18. Robinthe403 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Would Subban and Dougie Hamilton for Eberle get the convo started? I dunno.

19. TheOtherJohn says:

NYCOIL

The Oilers idea of a thorough review of the entire organization will be done internally, will be completed within 48-72 hours and will review everything that has gone into 25/19/21/30/30/29/24/28 and are sitting 29th in the league tonight. OK.

And the expertise to do such a review is available to do that review internally. I repeat: thats how we got to where we are……

speeds:

That’s a nice idea. I like Khokhlachev plenty.

21. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

TheOtherJohn,

What, the smartest men in the room doing a self-review? What could go wrong with that? 😉

But in all seriousness, I don’t see how in hockey they could possibly go hire an external auditor to review their issues, other than, say Katz himself commissioning it. This isn’t a corporation, it’s a club. A members’ club. Is that an issue? No doubt, but it’s just not reasonable to expect outside help unless it’s in the form of a new management team replacing the current one.

22. WadeRed says:

I realize this isn’t a “what would you do” day today but…For gods sake please get rid of Jultz. He is defensive toxicity (or chaos, whichever you prefer). IR Nikitin for the rest of the season, or maybe waive him and pray someone picks him up…ah who am I kidding, he’d be the most expensive minor leaguer on earth. So yeah, just IR him then buy him out at seasons end, provided this is possible (I’m not 100% on current CBA).

MacT failed this team by not addressing the centre issue, this we know. Eakins’ player deployment has been suspect all year in my opinion. Seems like he’s getting orders from up top.

I’d like to see the Oilers make no trades this year, why bother? We will just just shafted on low value anyways. Let’s ride this season out and get Connor McEichel. Like LT said, play the crap outta Petry, Oscar, Fayne and Marty.

Thanks for the blog LT. Long time fan and reader.
    Keep your heads up fellow Oiler fans, keep in mind, it can’t get much worse.

23. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Robinthe403:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Would Subban and Dougie Hamilton for Eberle get the convo started? I dunno.

Get the convo started? If the Oilers were offered that and didn’t immediately jump on it and send the paperwork in they would officially be insane. That’s an already very good, future top pairing D and a #1 goalie prospect for a good, but well-paid, smaller winger.

24. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

WadeRed,

They can buy NN out.

Been saying it can’t get much worse for quite a while now.

25. Ben says:

Would Boston be the 1 destination Ference might waive for?

Best case: Eberle, Marincin / Hamilton, Subban

Edmonton sets the clock back with a couple of “potentially” monumental pieces, Bs get scoring now, Slovak mentor-party later

26. Kmart99 says:

Stop. Pushing. Schultz….. But..

I.want.McDavid.

27. stush18 says:

Robinthe403,

I think dougie is there to stay. Boston loves him. Subban and marchand? For the dollars?

Speaking of marchand, does anyone remember back when he used to play centre? Im sure he used to and that will fill a gritensity/60 and is young. And hes a “winner”

28. Kmart99 says:

Kevin Lowe doesn’t deserve to have this team make the playoffs under his watch. Get McDavid/Eichel. Step down Lowe.

Nurse with an assist tonight 17, 6-11-17 on the season.

30. Robinthe403 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Eberle is a name brand and has league wide recognition and a bit of a track record, a known quantity if you will… He is under contract and team control at a fixed cost for five years. That has value.

Subban is a prospect, a good one at that, but a prospect at this point. Many highly touted prospects has never reached their projected ceiling. He is more than magic beans, but completely, totally unproven at the NHL level.

Hamilton is gonna be good. Top pairing good? At this point I don’t think you can say that for sure. I’ll concede top 4 absolutely. Right shot d-man, size, offence… Lotsa promise.

If Boston REALLY wants Eberle, this is my ask. I throw in Dillon Simpson or a 2016 3rd as a sweetener if needed.

That is literally my first attempt at arm chair GMing. I don’t think I’m way off base.

31. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

If you guys are bored, nice game featuring Forsberg vs Tarasenko (kinds of young players I wish the Oilers had) and Brodeur’s debut in a Blues uniform on tonight.

32. Zelepukin says:

Kmart99:
    Kevin Lowe doesn’t deserve to have this team make the playoffs under his watch.Get McDavid/Eichel.Step down Lowe.

No one is going to step down if the plan is to get McDavid. That’s like camping out for front row tickets to the best concert in the last 10 ten years and then not going.

33. Yeti says:

“dealing from strength”

But what presumed strength is this? It’s simply a euphemism for “dealing from area of least weakness”. There are holes all over this roster. I fail to see how we can trade our way out of this.

34. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Robinthe403,

Value wise I’d currently give Hamilton the slight edge over Eberle due to the differences in their contract. I think within two years Hamilton will be the more valuable player. He has all the tools. Skating, size, passing, shot, and been developed slowly, the right way, by Boston. Adding a top goalie prospect like Subban tips the scales too far in the Oilers’ favour.

35. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Ask yourself….if we had replaced a retiring decade long coach, who had consistent success with Dallas Eakins at the very time Eakins was actually hired and all other circumstances were the same, would we be so rigid in our defense of this teams record this year and last as it relates to the coach continuing on? I truly believe the rapid changeover of previous coaches has somehow cloaked Eakins in an unnatural shroud of excuses for the failure of this team. I simply can not be convinced that a lack of a head liner 2C and a top flight first pairing wipes the slate on an 11 game skid and an absence of a single victory in the western conference this late in the season – particularly after last years serving of throw up. Gents, we have 3 ESTABLISHED first picks and an assortment of real NHL’ers. Honestly, if someone showed this teams record to you over the last two years with you having no knowledge that they stacked this team with three no. 1’s and then after giving you a bit if time to digest revealed that very fact to you, would you still say the coach isn’t to blame (to some degree)? Our perspective seems bent at the moment.

The purging of Tortarella and the insertion of Desjardins is a clear and present example of the systems liberation possible when the square peg is forcibly removed from the round hole. Does this change mean we become a contender – no. Just relevant and progressing with deliberate and understandable direction with the potential for team unity.

36. fifthcartel says:

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 2m2 minutes ago
    Also wouldn’t surprise me to hear of a 3rd team involved in any major #Bruins trade. Gives more flexibility with player(s) and salary cap.

Doesn’t this seem a little ridiculous?

37. PDO says:

Eberle to Boston?

Excuse me while I call this:

Eberle and Marincin for Lucic.

Why?

Because Oilers.

That’s why.

38. Alpine says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

I believe the Oilers do have young players comparable to Vlad and Filip, but the losing streak is taking the shine off them a bit.

39. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Wow, so many empty seats in Carolina for the game hosting Washington, a regional rival. Yikes.

40. speeds says:

Even if they Oilers thought adding Lucic would fix things, how would trading 4.5 yrs of Eberle for 1.5 yrs of Lucic make sense?

Note – I’m not saying you’d make that move PDO, I’m just wondering how EDM would decide that sort of deal would help them out longer term?

MacT presser tomorrow at 9am as per @edmontonoilers

42. Austin Matthews '16 says:

PDO: Eberle and Marincin for Lucic.

Makes more sense than Boston trading Hamilton. I just can’t see that.

43. Ryan says:

Alpine:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Selling low is the Oilers way. Ride that fucking stock to rock bottom then sell. Rinse and repeat.

44. Austin Matthews '16 says:

Some guy is reporting this:

Stephen WhynoVerified account
    ‏@SWhyno
    #Oilers announce Craig MacTavish will address media tomorrow morning.

Woodguy:
    MacT presser tomorrow at 9am as per @edmontonoilers

46. Austin Matthews '16 says:

Lowetide: “I support Dallas, it’s my job to get him the right pieces and we’re not there yet. We thought this team was more competitive than they are, and we were wrong.”

ie: My bad.

47. Austin Matthews '16 says:

Hey LT: What did your plumber say? My water heater relief valve started dripping yesterday, after the gas was shut off for a while during a meter relocate. FFS!

48. Ben says:

“Honestly, Matty, I don’t feel that as a group we’re that far off. I’ve felt that we’ve been in more games this year, and some of the analytics supports that. But claerly, we’ve still got a lot of work ahead of us, and we’re working extremely hard to address the positions that we feel need to improve…throughout the organization.”

Austin Matthews ’16:

Pressure relief valve.

50. Ben says:

Kevin Lowe, 2 tough questions later:

“You know what John? I can’t really give a shit, because I’ve got my six Stanley Cup rings shoved up my ass.”

51. Austin Matthews '16 says:

Lowetide: Pressure relief valve.

Must be contagious…

52. Ray says:

I’m willing to bet any Boston trade has Marincin going there. I’d bet they would value him properly or even over value him based on Chara’s past words relating to him… too bad jultz wasn’t Slovakian

53. Ray says:

What does Marincin, Ference with half his salary retained, and anther asset bring back?

Three for one?

54. SkatinginSand says:

TheOtherJohn:

A true forensic audit would take weeks. A FAof our amateur scouting department would take the Oilers master draft list for the last 10 years and see how they had the players listedavailable in each draft, where they were selected and where and who within the the Oiler scouting department had each player rated. They would also review the idiotic scouting report (if such a report was even created (because OIlers) on Cam Barker and Nikita Nikitan). Who scouted them, who cross checked them, who advocated hiring them, who said lets walk away and interview them to see WTF went wrong. I.e. why were they so very very very wrong.

Oilers? our Forensic auditis expected to take 48-72 hours. In a nutshell…..thats how we got to where we are……

Clap, clap, clap!

I think Petry might be going. If you’ve scouted the Oilers lately, who else are you trading for?

56. RexLibris says:

If the Oilers send Eberle to Boston for, let’s say for the sake of argument, Doug Hamilton, will we all revisit the rumoured response to Boston’s “Eberle for the 2nd overall pick” trade scenario from 2010?

I like Hamilton. A lot. I included him in my Numerology piece at FN a while back (for the record, I think he’s better than Marincin, the article was meant to point out the limitations of advanced analytics in roster-building) http://flamesnation.ca/2014/9/29/numerology, and laughed maniacally when he fell to Boston with the second half of the Kessel deal in 2011.

57. rich says:

Austin Matthews ’16:
    Some guy is reporting this:

Stephen WhynoVerified account
    ‏@SWhyno
    #Oilers announce Craig MacTavish will address media tomorrow morning.

More re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?

The cynic in me wants to say that given the fact that there were so many empty seats Monday night that the someone is telling them they better say something, anything.

Not sure you can appease the fan base by just saying “we have a plan”.

58. RexLibris says:

Their 1st round pick in 2015?

59. theres oil in virginia says:

RexLibris: Their 1st round pick in 2015?

Scouting them just to be sure they’re going to finish 30th.

60. gr8one says:

Eberle, Marincin for Hamilton, Eriksson?

61. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

RexLibris:

62. Zelepukin says:

They’ve released a preview of tomorrows presser:

MacT’s “problem” is that there is no one to say to him “do you really want to do that?” The groupthink culture.

If it is a Boston trade, this is my prediction (which is not an endorsement). I wouldn’t trade for Lucic.

Perron, Pitlick, and Marincin (and Lander) for Lucic and Kelly (and Bartkowski).

Or maybe Perron and Yakupov for Lucic and Kelly.

Assuming RNH, DrySaddle and Hall are untouchable:

Klef (he’s dreamy), Perron, Petry, Fayne, – Not on roster: Marincin, Nurse.

65. RexLibris says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: The response where Boston reportedly turned down the Oilers’ offer of Hemsky plus Eberle because it wasn’t enough? Why would we revisit that response? Absolutely wasn’t enough.

I’d heard it was Boston wanting Eberle for the pick and MacGregor scoffing.

gr8one:
    Eberle, Marincin for Hamilton, Eriksson?

You’d need to add to get Hamilton.

He’s 2nd on the team in TOI/gm and their leading Dmen in points.

Eriksson might be better than Eberle.

I think PDO is right in Lucic.

He’s been a gong show this year and doesn’t bring nearly enough to rate $6MM/yr

67. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Assuming RNH, DrySaddle and Hall are untouchable:

Klef (he’s dreamy), Perron, Petry, Fayne, – Not on roster: Marincin, Nurse.

Perron on Marchand’s wing would be quite a bit of nasty, no?

68. rickithebear says:

EIG:
    Sather/Fraser
    1998: horcoff (99) (898)
    1999: Comrie (91) (589)

Lowe/Pedergast
    2000: Winchester (35) (390)
    2001: Hemsky (13) (696)
    2002: Stoll (36) (749); Greene (44) (529)
    2003: Stortini (94); Brodziak (214) (566)
    Torres for Isbister; Ninima; 2nd; 4th.
    2004: Dubnyk (14) (181)
    2005: Cogliano (25) (567)
    Pronger for Brewer; Woywitka; Lynch
    Peca for York
    Samsanov for Reasoner; Statsny; (2nd) (lucic)
    Spacek for Samelianen
    Dvorak & Cross for Carter; Pisa
    Rolason for 1st & 3rd.
    2006: Petry (45) (262)
    Pronger for Lupul; Smid; Ana 1st ; Cond 1st (Eberle)
    2007: Gagner (6) (509); R. Nash (21) (134)

Katz:
    Tambo(VCR Org)/SMB
    2008: Eberle (22) (300)
    2009: MP (10) (226)
    2010: Hall (1) (266); Marincin (46) (56)
    2011: RNH (1) (206)
    2012: Yak (1) (137)
    Tambo traded: Stoll; Greene; Brodziak; Cogliano; Nash; Reider: Gilbert

MacT/SMB
    2013: Nurse(7) (2); Yakimov (83) (1)
    2014: Draisatl (3) (26)
    Traded
    MP-> Perron
    Horcoff -> larsen
    Dubnyk -> Hendricks
    Picks-> Scrivens
    Picks -> Fasth
    Hemsky-> Picks
    N. schultz for Pick -> Nikitin
    Gagner -> Purcell

MacT hireD Eakins (TOR org)
    Player Regression.
    Eakins appoints Ference Captain (Calgary Org)

we must purge the stench of (VCR; TOR; CGY)

69. WadeRed says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

I agree. Just when we thought it was rock bottom, boom, another bruise on the tush. But if being an Oiler fan over the years has taught me anything, it’s how resillient and truly dedicated to our team we really are. Flakes would’ve jumped wagons by now. Being an Oiler fan in my family is a way of life, a privilege. On the long SK winter nights, Oiler games keep me warm, or maybe it’s the whiskey…I know this team will rise again someday, it just continually hurts that it’s not this year, and probably not next either.

The cap isn’t rising enough for the Bruins next year. If it is the Bruins, it is Lucic.

They’ll take Perron to play with Marchand and Bergeron, and pick off Marincin (because MacT and Eakins hate him).

And then filler pieces (Pitlick, Lander); (Barkowski)

71. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

RexLibris,

That was Columbus for Johansen.

72. knighttown says:

I hear a lot of comments about sitting or demoting Schultz for “better tomorrow’s” or trading him to another team who can use him in the future but one thing needs to be cleared up. His play has made him both unsignable and untradeable. According to Capgeek he needs to be qualified at 3.8ish this summer. MacT certainly can’t pay that for this level of play and whomever trades for him won’t pay this either.

This guy is as much of s UFA as Jeff Petry. The can trade him as a rental (uh…anyone want Schultz for your playoff run?) or (and this is their plan) play him a tonne in the hopes that he somehow justifies 4 million per.

Because of his contract status I’d be surprised if he returns more than a 3rd.

It’s similar to the Gagner situation where 5 million turned into a complete salary dump (Tampa was buying out Purcell)

73. "Frank The Dog" says:

Gordies Elbow:
    jake70,

While we’re IR’ing, IR Perron. He’s not what he was last year, since he had his hip surgery, he is getting enough meds to last one game at a time, give him all the time he needs to recover fully.

74. Austin Matthews '16 says:

Kelly, Bartkowski, Subban and a first for Ebs? I’m thinking that there are no drapes left in this guys apartment.

75. theres oil in virginia says:

Austin Matthews ’16:

I didn’t think he was suggesting all of them, just a package including some of them.

76. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

RexLibris,

THE PICK

To this day, Chiarelli won’t say who he would have chosen had the Bruins held the first overall pick in the 2010 draft. Here’s what he will say: that he didn’t see a big enough difference between the top-ranked (by Central Scouting) Seguin and Windsor left winger Taylor Hall to try to move up to get that pick from the Oilers.

Edmonton, on the other hand, did try to swing a trade. The Oilers wanted to deal for the second pick in order to get both Seguin and Hall, but their offer wasn’t substantial enough for the Bruins to consider parting with Toronto’s pick, which they’d gotten in the Kessel deal.

“They had made a push, and Tyler’s a talented player, so I could see why they wanted to make that push,” Chiarelli said. “I wasn’t prepared to move up to take the pick, because I felt they were both really close, though different players. I just basically waited to see which player I would get.”

Things fell the way they did and the Bruins grabbed Seguin, whom they deemed to have the biggest skill package in the draft, second overall.

From WEEI.Com
    And from the Globe and Mail

Can we put this to rest now? The Oilers never turned down Seguin for Eberle. Never happened. Boston turned them down.

77. Clay says:

godot10:
    The cap isn’t rising enough for the Bruins next year.If it is the Bruins, it is Lucic.

And then filler pieces (Pitlick, Lander); (Barkowski)

With the holes at D and C, would anyone here be surprised that they trade for a winger? Seems about right.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they were after Seidenberg. German guy to play nice with Leon, plus he’s a veteran Dman who is probably right at that point where he starts to really decline (33 years old), and he’s signed up for 3 more years after this one. Oilers LOVE that kind of player.

knighttown:
    I hear a lot of comments about sitting or demoting Schultz for “better tomorrow’s” or trading him to another team who can use him inthe future but onething needs to be cleared up. His play has made him bothunsignable and untradeable. According to Capgeek he needs to be qualified at 3.8ish this summer. MacT certainly can’t pay that for this level of play and whomever trades for him won’t pay this either.

I think Schultz’s existing salary is high enough that the qualifying offer is his existing $3.675 million. His agents made sure the one year deal was high enough that if things went bad, that he would just sign the qualifying offer. If he had a great year, then he could opt for arbitration. And if no qualifying offer, he would be a UFA. MacT was really rolled in that negotiation.

RexLibris: Perron on Marchand’s wing would be quite a bit of nasty, no?

80. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

godot10,

Thank you! I’ve been criticized a lot around here for saying MacT was owned in that negotiation.
    And everyone says at least Craig only gave him one year rather than a multi year deal, when it was Schultz’ camp who wanted one year so he could get an even bigger deal. MacT wanted to sign him to a rich, multi-year deal.

81. RexLibris says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Thanks for the link.

This is something I worked heavily on when I did my old Rebuilding series at ON, focusing on revisiting what really happened rather than just re-hashing old myths that get planted over time.

82. "Frank The Dog" says:

WadeRed: Keep your heads up fellow Oiler fans, keep in mind, it can’t get much worse.

Oh yes it can.
    Try 2-10 over the next 12 games and that’s being optimistic.

knighttown:

Because of his contract status I’d be surprised if he returns more than a 3rd.

I’d take a 3rd in a heartbeat.

Never underestimate fame in a NHL deal.

Never forget GMs love to think “we can fix that guy”

84. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: That would be a fun line to cheer for, or a fun line to hate if they played for the other guys.

Throw in Lucic on the opposite wing with Chara on the backend and you could watch the opponents’ blood boil.

“Frank The Dog”: Oh yes it can.
    Try 2-10 over the next 12 games and that’s being optimistic.

Frank,

If they Oilers go 2-10 over the next 12 I won’t post here until February.

If they Oilers do better than 2-10 over the next 12 you don’t post here until February.

Deal?

86. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Woodguy: You’d need to add to get Hamilton.

He’s 2nd on the team in TOI/gm and their leading Dmen in points.

Eriksson might be better than Eberle.

I think PDO is right in Lucic.

He’s been a gong show this year and doesn’t bring nearly enough to rate $6MM/yr

Thank you! That’s what I said in response to the poster who a uggested Hamilton plus Subban was a starting point for Eberle. No way the Oilers do not sprint to the fax machine to send in that deal to league offices. No way Boston offers that for Eberle. That’s more like an offer for Hall.

87. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: I’d take a 3rd in a heartbeat.

Never underestimate fame in a NHL deal.

Never forget GMs love to think “we can fix that guy”

There may also be some “the Oilers screwed him up” to the “fixing” idea. It not only elevates the belief that your team can repair him but increases the discrepancy by lowering your belief in the team that currently has him.

88. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Woodguy: I’d take a 3rd in a heartbeat.

Never underestimate fame in a NHL deal.

Never forget GMs love to think “we can fix that guy”

By the way, can we free Paajarvi? Let’s get him back as a Pouliot fill in for a song. Can’t take more than a mid round pick at this point?

89. Bobbin Roundlee says:

We all know what precipitated the press conference for Friday morning. It sure wasn’t the poor performance on ice or the constant bitching about KLowe and friends in management.

It’s all about people leaving the games early. It’s about people not showing up for game, tickets not selling, concessions going unsold. It’s all about the money.

Finally something got Katz attention. He has a new arena to fill up in a short while and if things continue the course sold out games will only be a memory like Stanley Cup victories in Edmonton.

90. Ben says:

Schultz deserves his fair share of derision for seemingly over-casual play…but we must ask the question: what has gone wrong?

He was a very highly touted prospect. A sure thing. Absolutely crushed his AHL stint (albeit with some decent help).

But – like so many Oiler prospects before him (and alongside him) – he hasn’t progressed.

Why?

If I had to guess, I would say the coaching changes haven’t helped, but more than anything, I believe this organization has provided very little in terms of quality, veteran mentorship for its young players. Not just hardworking guys, but skilled veteran players – maybe a little over the hill – who have had significant success. Thinking Adam Oates types here.

You want to see a kid give you everything he’s got and soak up some coaching? Put one of his childhood idols beside him on the ice.

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: You know, I could see Schultz being fixed and making the Oilers look bad in the right situation. Throw him out there with a strong, veteran Top 4 D on a good team. Shelter him and watch him grow. He has to unlearn his bad Oiler habits though.

I’d love to see PRV back and on a checking line with Gordon instead of Pinizzotto or Gazdic.

Ben:

Why?

If I had to guess, I would say the coaching changes haven’t helped, but more than anything, I believe this organization has provided very little in terms of quality, veteran mentorship for its young players.Not just hardworking guys, but skilled veteran players – maybe a little over the hill – who have had significant success.Thinking Adam Oates types here.

You want to see a kid give you everything he’s got and soak up some coaching?Put one of his childhood idols beside him on the ice.

He avoids contact like the plague.

That’s his biggest issue and it causes almost all his defensive deficiencies.

Won’t fight for a puck, won’t eat the puck to keep it safe, won’t clear the front of the net.

Its not the Oilers that made him that way and that’s why no one will fix him.

93. RexLibris says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

What do you think it would take?

I’d love to have him back, as WG noted, very useful depth player on a line with Gordon.

94. delooper says:

Is it just me, or don’t y’all think the “Covered In Oil” bloggers would love the Guardians of the Galaxy movie? Somebody has to tell Chris! to go watch that movie. I would if I knew who that guy was.

95. PhrankLee says:

Lowetide: Interesting update

But if Eberle is hurt do they make that deal? If I’m Boston I don’t.

He has a point if Boston thinks long term but I think they want help now.

96. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

RexLibris,

Healthy scratch every night on a team near the cap? About a month ago I think they were saying out of St Louis they were hoping for a 3rd rounder but no takers, but I can’t corroborate that beyond their hearsay.

97. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Columbus wins. Edmonton all alone, DFL.

98. book¡je says:

Report: Oilers will not announce changes to coaching staff Friday

As per the Score

99. G Money says:

Woodguy: Frank,

If they Oilers go 2-10 over the next 12 I won’t post here until February.

Deal?

Geez, why not bet some beers?

Regardless of how the Oilers do, I’d like to hear from both of you guys about it.

100. Bobbin Roundlee says:

@ Lowetide finally you will have real news to talk about (the press conference) instead of Jamieson getting all the breaking news eh? LOL

101. Zangetsu says:

Woodguy: Frank,

If they Oilers go 2-10 over the next 12 I won’t post here until February.

Deal?

Two wins… wow.Wouldn’t it be nice. We got a dreamer over here guys.

102. Austin Matthews '16 says:

GlenX ties it up in the third.

103. fifthcartel says:

G Money,

I second this.

104. Old School G says:

Just saying. There’s very few trades that could happen, where we receive Lucic in return, that I would not be absolutely ecstatic that we landed Lucic. A mean, terrorizing, power forward entering his prime, holy smokes, if it’s even a possibility, pay up and move along, don’t make eye contact, just go with it.

105. "Frank The Dog" says:

Woodguy: Frank,

If they Oilers go 2-10 over the next 12 I won’t post here until February.

Deal?

No, that’s ok.

106. spoiler says:

I don’t see us trading for a LWer. making the same amount as Hall to play behind him. So not Lucic. And probably not Marchand.

There’s no way I see the Bruins trading Hamilton, he is the future of their defense.

Rask, I could see with that contract, but the Bruins don’t really have a starter behind him and I doubt they’re willing to bet on Scrivens or Fasth the rest of the way. So not Rask.

That pretty much leaves Kelly. I don’t see the Oil giving up much for him. Certainly not Perron or Petry. Arco? But then we’re taking on too much salary. Would have to use LTIR credit.

107. El Duderino says:

Absolutely deeeelighted DFL and I have no concern about him knowing a thing or two. I am not surprised at all. Stay the course I say.

108. Ice Sage says:

Austin Matthews ’16:
    GlenX ties it up in the third.

Yep, Glencross and Hejda looking solid. Who knew? Oh yeah, everyone here.

How about those Unsustainable Flames?

109. Austin Matthews '16 says:

Ice Sage: Yep, Glencross and Hejda looking solid.Who knew?Oh yeah, everyone here.

How about those Unsustainable Flames?

UnsustFlammable.

How about those Unsustainable Flames?

Stoll, Greene, Torres, Glencross, Pitkanen, Hejda….and now Horcoff, Petry.

They gave Robert Nilsson 3 x $1.5 million, but didn’t have the time of day to give Glencross 2 x $1.2 million.

111. hunter1909 says:

Lucic just got KO’d by that CBJ player and Boston understand his days as an intimidating force are numbered.

For this reason, should there be a trade Lucic will be an Edmonton Oiler.

Or, perhaps another, cleverer team is waiting in the wings to poach Yakupov for that elusive 3rd line(to be instantly elevated to the 2nd line) centreman that MacT craves.

I remember the days when Sather routinely plugged holes in the lineup, which helped keep the juggernaut going. Then, no one worried, because Slats was one of the best horse traders in hockey.

Be afraid.

112. hunter1909 says:

“So long as he’s able to take slavish directions from the coach that go against every fibre of his hockey DNA, we’ll take him” MacT

113. hunter1909 says:

Ha ha the only thing worse than a stupid manager, is a panicked stupid manager.

114. TemujinBC says:

Maybe Eddie Lack is available :-/

115. TemujinBC says:

Oh, and Niemi sporting the 0.765 sv% tonight for the Sharks.

That’s so terribad even Scrivens is shaking his head

116. Alpine says:

godot10,

At least Stoll, Greene, and Pitkanen returned good NHL players in trades. Greene in particular was stuck down the depth chart here and rumour has it, Pitkanen liked Edmonton less than Visnovsky’s wife. Those trades in isolation weren’t bad, it was not replacing anybody involved in them down the road that was horrendous. Especially when Stoll’s replacement in Brodziak was purged later on.

117. "Frank The Dog" says:

G Money: Geez, why not bet some beers?

Look. If we’re 2-10 in the next 12 WG will quit anyway, so will I and so will more than a few other on this blog, maybe even LT.
    But this I will do: I’ll buy WG a case of frosties of his choice from his local liquor store the day this team wins their 3rd game of the next 12 under Dallas Eakins. MacT goes behind the bench, bet’s off.
    I don’t need a payback if I’m right. I could not possibly celebrate such an appalling situation with my favourite hockey team, and besides I value WG’s comments.

118. RexLibris says:

LT, I’ve a name for you to research as a possible What Does It All Mean lady.

Peggy Dow, notably played Nurse Kelly in “Harvey”.

Stunning woman.

Anyway, as the Eberle trade talk goes I think we can expect this to fall one of two ways: either MacTavish does this like Perron or like Smid. One he took time and found the right trade partner, the other he moved without any shopping around.

He’s shopping Eberle and if so there must be some interest. If Boston starts getting into it I wonder if others don’t look at getting involved. Landing Jordan Eberle sounds like the kind of thing that would appeal to a GM like Glen Sather.

Bobbin Roundlee:

I assume the trade happens during Jamieson’s show (shakes fist)

120. RexLibris says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Columbus wins. Edmonton all alone, DFL.

Don’t forget they are closing fast on Buffalo’s horrendous GA. Five more to tie, six to take it.

“Lose eleven for number 97”

What do you think?

121. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I assume the trade happens during Jamieson’s show (shakes fist)

You need an angry shout at Jamieson like Superintendent Chalmers of the Simpsons.

122. spoiler says:

Where is the fit with Boston?

Unless they convert Lucic to a RWer, I don’t see one.

Boston has been desperate for good RWers, I think if it was achievable they would have already tried it.

Oilers need D and C and Boston isn’t exactly thick at either slot.

I think the Chia is kicking tires and having Kipper for breakfast.

123. VanOil says:

Old School G:

Lucic has 3 year left as an effective NHL player. His role in the NHL in analogous to a Running Back in the NFL. They only last until 29 and they degrade quickly on the way to 29. Smarter minds have done studies and stuff on this issue. I have had too many head shots in my life to quote them here but I caution that chasing Lucic is with significant assets is poor management. Oilers of course are famous for poor management.

124. Gret99zky says:

Austin Matthews ’16:
    Some guy is reporting this:

Stephen WhynoVerified account
    ‏@SWhyno
    #Oilers announce Craig MacTavish will address media tomorrow morning.

I’m late to the party.

RE: the scrum: I don’t see any advantage to addressing the media at this point in time.

MacT will either telegraph his next move or expose himself as not having a viable plan for this season. If the media do their jobs they will crush him. (they won’t) No positives can come of this. None.

Also, I understand many fans are loyal to Lowe, MacT, Howson, and Eakins. It’s not in some posters nature to call people out or want people fired. They offer more time and patience than can reasonably be expected. Honorable, really.

But for the life of me I cannot believe, I refuse to believe that this group of men are the best available to manage and lead this team out of the wilderness. There are more qualified men out there. I am sure of it.

And Katz hasn’t shown any interest whatsoever in finding them.

And so here we are.

125. spoiler says:

spoiler: It can’t be Kelly. I don’t see any value in that trade at all. Surely MacT doesn’t.

RexLibris:
    LT, I’ve a name for you to research as a possible What Does It All Mean lady.

Peggy Dow, notably played Nurse Kelly in “Harvey”.

Stunning woman.

Speaking of Kellys…

Peggy Dow was the beauty of her day. College educated, Louisiana-bred she hit Hollywood like a hurricane, was fast-tracked and appeared on the cover of Life in a year and in nine movies within two years.

She would find her Prince (oil fortune), drop out of Hollywood and have her role in her next movie rush-filled by Grace… Kelly. Who would find her own Prince a few years later.

If you think of Harvey as being an Irish Celtic pooka story, spinning around Nurse Kelly, it kind of makes you feel like you just fell down a hole…

126. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: He avoids contact like the plague.

That’s his biggest issue and it causes almost all his defensive deficiencies.

Its not the Oilers that made him that way and that’s why no one will fix him.

127. oilerrelio says:

ok, so why aren’t we putting schultz on a wing?

128. RicaGreaser says:

Nashville forward Mike Ribeiro had one goal and two assists; he has five points in the past three games.

“I’ve been closer to the net,” Ribeiro said. “It’s hard to score from far away in this League so I’m trying to really get close to the net and get tips, rebounds, goals like that.”

This would have been such a nice piece to have…

129. Pouzar says:

RicaGreaser:

This would have been such a nice piece to have…

An ideal soft minutes point producer. Wasn’t going to come to EDM though.

130. MenovOil says:

Saw a sgement on TSN yesterday where Darren Dreger and Bob MacKenzie said that Lowe will be leading a “forensic audit” into what’s going wrong with the Oilers.

*Sigh* Low still involved in this, there is no hope.

Oh well, if we go winless against the WC for the rest of the 2014 calendar year, maybe something will be done…

131. Bank Shot says:

Pouzar: An ideal soft minutes point producer. Wasn’t going to come to EDM though.

I don’t believe it. He’s making $1 million.

Had the Oilers offered him Nitikin money I don’t see how he could have turned it down.

132. GCW_69 says:

Friedman was on Fan590 this morning. Said oilers have begun exploring the possibility of trading Hall. Said they are setting the bar very high to trade him.

It scares the shit out of me to think about this management group making a Hall trade.

133. v4ance says:

If we’re thinking crazy trades:

TO Philly Nikitin + Jultz + Draisaitl (~$9.3 M)

To Edmonton Lecavalier + Couturier + Luke Schenn +2015 1st ($9.875 M)

Both would be trading 2 “problems” to the other.

In Lecavalier, the extra 2 years on his contract would make a larger buyout than Nikitin’s, so Edmonton gets the short end there. Both Jultz and Schenn have underperfomed expectations in their respective cities. Draisaitl should be viewed to have more upside than Couturier in the future. The 1st rounder from Philly compensates EDM for giving up the better offensive C prospect, the better offensive D and taking a more onerous buyout via Lecavalier’s extra years.

Philly gets cap relief and more flexibility for 2015 onwards. Edmonton looks at getting an extra lottery ball for this year’s McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes with a view that the possible C depth chart will be McDavid/RNH/Couturier in 2 years.

134. Bobbin Roundlee says:

RicaGreaser:

This would have been such a nice piece to have…

Wasn’t that what was hoped Ryan Smyth could instil in his team mates? Oh yeah, and a solid work ethic too. Fail.

135. RicaGreaser says:

Bank Shot: I don’t believe it. He’s making $1 million.

1. The FAs we can attract are either broken or cap-killing overpays.
    2. The pieces we have available to deal can hardly bring what’s needed to make this team better (to the extent needed to overcome Because Oilers).
    3. The talent on the farm is excellent AHL talent, but too spotty as NHLers to indicate we have ever had a clue about developing talent from round 2 or later.
    4. Because of 1-3 above we rush our top end picks into the show and completely mess with their heads. Exception Darnell Nurse, but it’s early yet. Klef’s shoulder injury might have been the one thing that saved him so he had the chance to mature into what will probably be a solid NHL career.

A word on Justin Schultz. Obviously not what we thought we were getting, and I think there are few questions left to ask there. WG is right about what you can’t fix in this kid. He is that talented hire who falls into a great spot in a mediocre organization and is happy as long as the checks keep coming and he gets to do a job he enjoys. For him, I hope he can’t read, because it is not in his makeup to become what we want from him. For us…I hope his reputation and “we can fix him” gets him on someone else’s payroll tomorrow. I don’t even care if he turns into Bobby Orr, Paul Coffey and Scott Niedermayer all in one as soon as he leaves. Just. go.

Thoroughly disheartened. At least we have this blog.

136. Bobbin Roundlee says:

MenovOil:

*Sigh* Low still involved in this, there is no hope.

Isn’t this kind of like the “physician heal thyself” thing? No way that you have the police investigate themselves internally or a financial institution audit themselves. Third party all the way.

137. Austin Matthews '16 says:

v4ance: TO Philly Nikitin + Jultz + Draisaitl

Hmmm… I don’t think you can let Draisaitl go. In two years Vinnie is gone, and you’ve got Couts for Draisaitl, which doesn’t improve the Oilers down the middle.

138. Ca$h-Money! says:

Austin Matthews ’16,

I think it’s more about clearing up space from Nikitin/Jultz than it is about Drai for Couts… the idea likely being addition by subtraction.

Not saying I think it’s a good move though.

139. Austin Matthews '16 says:

Ca$h-Money!: Nikitin/Jultz

Oh, I’m on board with that part – certainly! But I see the loss of Draisaitl in even one year, as too big of a price in the long term.

Couts + Draisaitl + RNH? Three thumbs up!

140. jake70 says:

Bruce McCurdy: Schultz’s flyby of Kane on the game winner was little short of pathetic. Nuge got sucked over to support the puck battle but there was no battle, not even a tiny one. Schultz bailed, Kane got the puck cleanly back to the point, & RNH couldn’t back out there quickly enough. But at least he was fucking trying.

I just watched the goal about 5 times. Not once does Nuge look back to the point to see where that player is. He committed to going to the puck battle but ..not really. So he basically was in no man’s land there.

141. Dicky94 says:

v4ance,

Drai will be ten times the player Couturier will ever be in a few years. No way to that trade.

142. Bank Shot says:

Dicky94:
    v4ance,

Drai will be ten times the player Couturierwill ever be in a few years. No way to that trade.

Will he? Couturier was much better in his first NHL season than Draisaitl has been. They both stepped directly into the NHL.

Plus if the Oilers are getting a Philly 1st rounder which looks to be top ten, they take that deal and run.

143. Bank Shot says:

RicaGreaser: That right there is the scariest thing for me about my beloved but obviously dysfunctional org. It’s why turning the good ship Oil seems so improbable.
    1. The FAs we can attract are either broken or cap-killing overpays.
    [/quote]

Yeah there is a lot wrong for sure. The current batch of prospects all look to have limited ceilings. Chase, Khaira, Moroz, Ewanyk, Yakimov. None of them are “pissing a drop” offensively in the NHL IMO.

Change of management is the obvious solution. It would have happened already if Katz wasn’t set on reliving the 80’s.

[quote]

It’s funny how he got so much rope for his first two season. There were a lot of posters that gave him a pass for his poor defensive play and blamed every thing wrong with his game on Nultz and Ference.

I had a few disagreements with WG in particular about how Schultz was not being held down by an anchor on his pairing and that he was a big part of the problem.

144. "Frank The Dog" says:

I’m feeling sick to the stomach right now at the thought of a possible presser that announces a blockbuster trade involving Taylor Hall.

Is there anyone out there that actually thinks this could be a good idea?

145. RicaGreaser says:

“Frank The Dog”:

Is there anyone out there that actually thinks this could be a good idea?

Hall straight across for Seguin I would do in a blink.
    😉

146. Bruce McCurdy says:

RicaGreaser:

This would have been such a nice piece to have…

Maybe an offer of five times market like Bank Shot suggests might have moved the needle, though if it ever comes to that for any player, we are officially screwed.

147. RicaGreaser says:

Bruce McCurdy: After being bought out by the Coyotes for being a bad influence, Ribeiro himself said he wanted to sign in a low-profile market while he was working on problems with his marriage. A Canadian team just wasn’t going to happen. (“Guess what, honey? We’re going to Edmonton!!”)

I might consider NN worth about a fifth of the nut on him right about now.

Jokes aside, thanks for clearing that up Bruce. The Oilers overpaying for a bad influence with a dodgy marriage would not have gone well.