OILERS AT DUCKS, G29 2014-15

The Edmonton Oilers did some nice things in San Jose but lost a road game to a better team. No sin there, and LOTS of good signs for a young, building team. Leon Draisaitl had another strong game, Oscar Klefbom showed some nice skating and a howitzer from the point and Tyler Pitlick crashed and banged his way to a solid performance. You may not like it, but these are the things to discuss for the rest of the season (along with the draft). The Corsi’s were dancing, but the dogs were barking and the goalie wasn’t stopping pucks. Again.

pronman oesterle

A CONVERSATION WITH TODD NELSON

I spoke to Todd Nelson yesterday on Dave’s show, we chatted on numerous subjects—several items that may be of interest to you.

• On D who haven’t played in the NHL yet: “They’re all playing well right now, it’s a healthy competition. Jordan Oesterle is having a very strong season, his skating ability is excellent and he has the ability to skate out of pressure. Dillon Simpson makes smart plays and is adjusting to the AHL. The guy who has turned the corner for me over the last couple of weeks is Martin Gernat. Marty was very inconsistent at the start of the year, we had to communicate to him we wanted him to play with more intensity and more consistently, he’s bringing it the last five of six games.”
  • On prospects developing at their own pace: “Everybody has a different adjustment curve. We’re seeing that this year with Curtis Hamilton, he is having an outstanding season for us. This is his fourth year, people may have thought and I think even the coaching staff thought we’d see this game out of him in his second year, but he’s playing well and he’s a player knocking on the door for a callup.”

I like the Hall—Nuge—Perron and Yakupov—Draisaitl—Eberle trio’s, maybe we see them again tonight. Pitlick isn’t a scorer but he can do some things on a checking line and he’s certainly fast enough to forecheck and perhaps eventually penalty kill. For fun, here are the D TOI totals from last night:

1. Oscar Klefbom 23:22
  2. Jeff Petry 22:32
  3. Justin Schultz 22:05
  4. Andrew Ference 20:55
  5. Mark Fayne 20:33
  6. Keith Aulie 10:33

Is it too late for Calder Trophy contention? Probably. The kid can flat out play. I don’t know that Brandon Davidson will draw in tonight (this is his second recall, so one hopes he gets a chance) but if they scratch Klefbom for any hockey reason for the rest of the season there needs to be an investigation. And recall Marincin while you’re at it, men. Mr. Ference could use fewer minutes.

klefbom2221

Klefbom took the puck from deep in his own end and swept out from behind his net with authority. As he gained speed and exited his own zone, the young Swede first readied himself for a pass and then decided to carry it to the opponent’s blue line. It was SO good. Later, Klefbom destroyed a post with a stunning slap shot that could have changed the outcome of the San Jose game. This young man is bona fide. I spoke to Nelson yesterday about him, suggesting his speed was the key. Nelson acknowledged the speed, but is as impressed with his quickness and ability to recover on a play. Man, this is an exciting development, right in the heart of a massive weakness. I know it’s open season on the scouts but that was a fine selection.

IT’S THE GOALTENDING, STUPID eakins against san jose

The Oilers Corsi for % at 5×5 last night was 54%, but Ben Scrivens save percentage was .792. Fasth starts tonight, I’ve never seen a team that killed goalies like this one. I don’t know if there’s a goalie on the planet who can fit this wayward bunch, but MacTavish hasn’t found him yet. Good Christ this is four good men and one Bryzgalov now.

Taylor Hall is off his pace of one year ago by some margin now (projects to 59, scored 80 a year ago) but he usually market corrects just about the time I identify a slump. If your problem is Taylor Hall being off the pace that’s a good thing in one way: He should make it up in a fast hurry. He’s had a subpar season in many ways (turning over pucks in flagrant areas, poor coverage decisions), I’ll bet on him recovering offensively in the coming weeks.

PRIORITIES

As badly as this team needs a center, at this point I’m prepared to suggest goaltending is the bigger issue. Sending away draft picks and prospects is not a plan for the season (who cares if they lose 50 games?) but it’s pretty clear the Oilers will need to (once again) address the goalie position in the summer. Any preferences?

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

hepburn dog bike10 this morning, Lowdown with Lowetide on TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. Plenty to discuss, including one Swede up (the emerging Klefbom) and one Swede down (the forgotten Lander).
  • Sean Beissel, Donnan Hockey. Canada Winter games, and playing defense.
  • James Mirtle, Globe and Mail. How good are the Leafs? On pace for 100 points? We’ll find out what’s going on.
  • Corey Graham, Oil Kings PBP on TSN 1260. Struggling Oil Kings may mean deadline deals. We’ll talk to Corey.

10-1260 text,  @Lowetide_ on twitter. I’ll be sitting in for Dave Jamieson again, so stick around if you can. Same bat time, same bat channel.

445 Responses to "OILERS AT DUCKS, G29 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. Pouzar says:

VanOil:
    Watching Jultz try to break the cycle is humorous.

It really is. There are no words.

2. Ice Sage says:

And…
    another streak begins!

3. Gerta Rauss says:

thanks for that Lance, I appreciate the science of food, I like to know the “why” of things

4. eidy says:

That was a horrible last shift for perron

5. Zelepukin says:

VanOil:
    Watching Jultz try to break the cycle is humorous.

Poke checking the area between your feet and stick, unfortunately doesn’t do anything.

6. RexLibris says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    RexLibris,

I walked away upon being told I was making excuses for the Oilers. Not sure how he got that out of my criticisms. And absolutely on the “get them to trade us Backlund for him.” Guy actually used to work for the Flames organization. But no longer, sadly. He still makes no bones about telling me how good Gaudreau is, though.

I’ve been hearing this for years as well (not Gaudreau, but the general gist of it from Flames’ fans).

Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. The trick in most situations is to let the person speak their mind, listen, and then wait. Give someone enough time and opportunity, ie: rope, eventually they’ll hang themselves.

I mean, if you really want to throw something back at him you could always ask about those coveted assets they got back for Bouwmeester and Iginla.

Hanowski and Agostino are trending to be very serviceable career AHLers. Poirier has promise, but Klimchuk has a long way to go and is probably looking at, optimistically, being a 3rd line winger.

You could also grill him on their defensive prospect depth or Engelland’s contract, the Mason MacDonald/Hunter Smith draft picks (34th and 54th, respectively), and Burke’s inability to collect anything at the trade deadline for Michael Cammalleri.

To name a few. 🙂

7. Zelepukin says:

eidy:
    That was a horrible last shift for perron

Two horrible passes in a row.

8. RexLibris says:

I heart Nuge.

I saw him first!

9. G Money says:

RexLibris,

I saw him at the Rebels-Hitmen Teddy Bear Toss game at the Sad Dull Dome the year he was drafted. He was just like one of those lil bears!

10. Jon K says:

VanOil:
    I predict Eakins will notice Klefbom’s good play and start him as Jultz’s partner next game. The inevitable will happen a Klefbom will be returned to OKC to learn his lesson.

“Oscar, what the hell happened to your game? Ever since you were promoted to playing with Schultz it seems like you spend entire shifts in the defensive zone. Obviously consistency is still an issue for you. Some time on the farm will be good.”

11. Diesel says:

Nuge is our only player (currently) who feels like a threat in a 1 on 1 situation.

That is to say, if I were to choose one player to beat a d-man in a 1v1 on the rush or otherwise, it’s Nuge.

He is our best player and I don’t believe a 100% Hall poses the same threat, even with his top-end speed.

Fly high, sweet sweet Nuge. Carry us out of this mess.

12. Clay says:

Pouzar: It really is. There are no words.

13. "Frank The Dog" says:

VanOil:

iirc Klef did better than anyone else as a partner of Schultz. I recall him talking about it in the manner of being his babysitter. Not in those words though.

14. G Money says:

Leafs outshot 42-19 and win 2-1 in the coin flip.

Man, that Carlyle and his magic system are incredible!

15. Diesel says:

Clay: It’s funny, I logged in here just to see if others saw Jultz totally lost in his own end at the end there.

He is simply not physically equipped to dependably interrupt those sort of sequences.

The question is, why are we deploying him into those situations?

I’m not defending his poor defensive acumen, but there are other factors here. Beyond that, there are 4 other players on the ice; therefore, if we still can’t break up cycles *despite* Jultz’s disadvantage in that area then it is a question of pairings/player-type balance.

16. Captain's Log says:

Diesel: I think it’s important to distinguish Jules’s shortcomings as a D-man. The unbreakable puck possession we saw with about a minute left in our end was a result of his toolbox, not his brain.

The question is, why are we deploying him into those situations?

I’m not defending his poor defensive acumen, but there are other factors here. Beyond that, there are 4 other players on the ice; therefore, if we still can’t break up cycles *despite* Jules’s disadvantage in that area then it is a question of pairings/player-type balance.

Having Schultz on in the defensive zone in the last two minutes is on Eakins. If we win the draw Schultz is not the guy to get the puck moving quickly. If we lose the draw it’s essentially a 3 on 2 cycle for the Anaheim forwards. That said there are other defenders in the league with Schultz’s ‘toolbox’ who are able to make plays with their feet (getting to a puck first) or their stick to break up a cycle.

Play Petry and Klefbom in that spot and either one can skate the puck out (or pass it) and also have the will and strength to win the puck on the boards. Then if you’re really convinced Schultz is the guy to make it happen you sub him in as they go up the ice.

17. "Frank The Dog" says:

Does anyone feel that they played the best available line combinations and defence pairs, and doled out the minutes appropriately between the high and low performance tonight?

Hindsight being 20/20

18. Clay says:

Diesel:

I honestly think Hall hasn’t been “Hall” since the beginning of last season.

Lots of factors – new coach, C experiment, injuries to both knees, passed over for captaincy, constant losing, etc.

Whatever it is, he used to excite on an almost per-shift basis.

19. Diesel says:

Clay: I honestly think Hall hasn’t been “Hall” since the beginning of last season.

Whatever it is, he used to excite on an almost per-shift basis.

All things are possible and those are all things.

I would also add to that list the fact that he’s burned enough d-men around the league that they have adjusted to his speed and tendencies.

Adapt or die. (D-men)
    Evolve or die. (Taylor)

20. RexLibris says:

G Money:
    RexLibris,

I saw him at the Rebels-Hitmen Teddy Bear Toss game at the Sad Dull Dome the year he was drafted.He was just like one of those lil bears!

I remember watching him play the Oil Kings in the playoffs that year.

I’d been on the Nugent-Hopkins bandwagon from about December, when it looked like the Oilers were going to be drafting 1st overall…again.

Couturier was still getting the majority of the interest, but Nugent-Hopkins was posting almost identical numbers and was getting more well-rounded usage by the Rebels.

Watched one game in particular where he created a ten-bell scoring chance at one end and then stopped a similar chance against immediately following. When they were pulling bodies out of the pile in front of the net, Nugent-Hopkins was on the bottom with the puck.

#LoveAtFirstSight

21. "Frank The Dog" says:

Oddspell:
    Oh man, when Fayne and Klefbom are on the ice it becomes a totally different game. I wish we had 3 of both.

Put MM with Petry and that’s not too bad either.

22. Clay says:

Diesel: I think it’s important to distinguish Jultz’s shortcomings as a D-man. The unbreakable puck possession we saw with about a minute left in our end was a result of his toolbox, not his brain.

The question is, why are we deploying him into those situations?

Nick Lidstrom played at 6’1″ and 190lbs. Niedermayer was 6’1″ 200 lbs. Schultz is 6’2″ 196lbs.

I believe Schultz’s inability to break up a cycle has everything to do with his aversion to physically engaging other players, as well as simply not knowing what to do.

23. Diesel says:

Clay: I’m not being obstinate here, but I totally disagree with his size being the issue.

Nick Lidstrom played at 6’1″ and 190lbs.Niedermayer was 6’1″ 200 lbs.Schultz is 6’2″ 196lbs.

I don’t disagree with this.

I am more referencing the skills and attributes he possesses when I say ‘toolbox’.

Now, some skills and attributes can be learned, but there needs to be a lot of things that come together for that to happen ie. teammate insight/osmosis, coaching, usage/deployment…..

Those are only three, and I don’t think we can say we have utilized a single one properly.

24. RexLibris says:

“Frank The Dog”: Put MM with Petry and that’s not too bad either.

Interesting that even Nelson has said that Marincin needs some work.

I’m beginning to wonder if it isn’t MacTavish hating on Marincin so much as he’s taking his cue from Nelson.

Consider: we accept that Eakins takes his deployment cues and assistant coaches (up until this summer) from management.

Eakins says publicly that ahead of the Sochi Olympics he advised Marincin to almost literally walk in Chara’s shadow and learn as much as he possibly could from the veteran during the experience.

The Oilers played him through the final 40-odd games of last season and when Nelson has commended the play of other players there has often followed a call-up of that player when the opportunity arose.

25. Diesel says:

RexLibris: I don’t think we can assume that Marincin’s being in OKC is because MacTavish dislikes him. I think we need to at least consider the possibility that they think he could be a good deal better than he has shown thus far and are willing to invest the time to develop that ability.

26. RexLibris says:

Diesel: This is very possible. Unfortunately they do not have the track record to earn this sort of benefit of the doubt.

No, they don’t. But we’re seeing some small steps (Perron, Fayne, trading Gagner, adding Scrivens and Fasth, bringing in Craig Ramsay, removing Chabot) so maybe things are moving back towards 50/50 on the credibility scale, if only incrementally.

As much as we try not to be fanboys here, we should also guard against becoming overly cynical and seeing everything through the lens of bias over past sins.

27. Captain's Log says:

Yes, this x1000. Schultz is comfortable in one spot in his own zone – with his skates at the edge of the blue paint “protecting” the net front. He defaults to that always. It takes him a split second to leave the spot when the puck is available – I presume because he’s been standing there so strongly.

Let him sit for a game and just have him watch tape of these guys for 24 hours.

However I will mention that the players he is playing against are bigger every year.

28. "Frank The Dog" says:

RexLibris: Interesting that even Nelson has said that Marincin needs some work.

That’s a very encouraging perspective. I actually trust Nelson.

29. fifthcartel says:

Derek Van Diest ‏@SUNdvandiest 21m21 minutes ago
    Bob Nicholson was in Anaheim peeling back the layers of the onion. That would explain the tears in his eyes … #Oilers

30. Diesel says:

RexLibris:

This is something I talk about with my buddies. We are so conditioned (as Oiler fans) to crucify players for their shortfalls and mistakes that we often forget that this is what the game is largely predicated on.

There aren’t many goals scored in hockey that don’t come as a result of someone’s mistake. Mistakes, misreads, positional gaffs, and all sorts of blunders are common occurrence for every team. Some more than others, of course, but the real kicker is that most teams also have a last line of defence (goalie) that cleans up the mess when it happens.

The Oilers are like The Truman Show. A guy who is average by most measures but is so under the spotlight that people dissect, magnify and obsess over every aspect of his life.

Of course, the Oilers are anything but average in some ways, but the principle is the same: there is no room for error. *Every* little detail is scrutinized and the players are starting to play like they just caught on to the ruse.

31. Worlds Worst Sports Franchise says:

RexLibris,

The Oilers are in 30th.
    The Falmes are higher than that. Quite a bit higher, actually.
    Are you’re throwing Corgis at the Falmes from your glass house?

32. SwedishPoster says:

I must say I liked Davidsons game. Great sense of urgency, was quick to recognize danger and moves the puck swiftly and simply. Some physicality and quicker feet than what we’ve seen before in pre-season from what I recall. Some rookie-isms but that’s to be expected. That guy will be an NHLer, he keeps beating the odds.
    It kinda looks bad on Ference that every young D coming up from OKC looks better positionally and handles the puck far better than him, he battles but that contract is looking uglier and uglier.

Klefbom looks like he did in sweden before his injury, he’s got pretty much everything I look for in a defenseman except high end offense. He’s pretty efficient offensively since he moves the puck fast, knows when to shoot and when not to, but he lacks that high end offensive sense and playmaking skills. Other than that he’s golden, still needs to clear out some positional mishaps where he overcommits but they’re getting less common with every game. I’ve been preaching top pairing upside since I saw him as a 17 yo in the SHL, finally starting to show. Hope he can stay consistent.

When you’re trotting out a 4th line with Gazdic-Hendricks-Pinizotto you’re not going to win a lot of hockey games. There are better options available. I can live with ONE of Gazdic/Pinizotto every 3rd game to bring some energy and nasty. But they lose so much juice when they play more than 1-2 games in a row. Both of them game in, game out is stupid. Add to that Pitlick who pretty much brings the same blend of physicality, energy, lack of puckskills and crappy hockey sense and you’ve got way too much muscle without brain on the ice.

33. RicaGreaser says:

Clay:

But…he also appears to be a very weak 196. A 190 pound Nuge seems like a completely different animal just because it appears to be quality functional mass he’s added. When Stamkos got his man size it was all functional and turned him into the scary beast he is today. 6′ 2″ of weak with no taste for conflict is a lethal combination. Lethal to winning.

Woodguy,

I still don’t think the Oilers win, but I am taking the over.
    There will be goals.

1 for 2.

35. hunter1909 says:

Caramel Obvious: I’ll also note that this losing is really bringing out the tacit anti-intellectual fervour of Edmonton. I’m convinced that this is behind all the Eakins hate which, if you listen to the radio at all, is red hot right now.
    People don’t just want him to be fired because the team is losing. They hate him because he carries himself like an intellectual. They hate him because of the way he speaks. Hunter, is a good example of this.

Around 5 games ago I stopped watching the Oilers. Why? They no longer entertain me. I strongly suspect they no longer entertain a lot of people, but this is beside my point.

Around 3 games ago I stopped paying attention to the schedule. I do still look at the NHL standings, and see a 30th place team.

I don’t even live in Edmonton. I left Edmonton a long time ago.

I remember Edmonton as a pretty redneck, farm oriented community. The kind of “city” where you might find yourself laughed at for wearing a suit on 124th street at 2pm.

On the other hand, what little intellectual life Edmonton has, I always thought was pretty cool. People don’t need to be fancy to be intelligent.

Eakins as intellectual? I don’t get this at all. Eakins strikes me as a guy who’s desperately trying to appear together, above the “herd” etc. This fools some people. I work with very smart people who don’t put on airs like Eakins does. These people are smart. Eakins? What’s he ever proved at 40 years of age, aside from coaching the Marlies?

Sorry caramello, I don’t get the intellectual argument you’re demanding we all agree with.

It seems that you want to elevate something as dull as ice hockey into something magnificent. That’s cool. I just don’t buy it myself. I check my brain at the door whenever I follow sports. Sports to me, unless I’m participating is a diversion.

Eakins is currently running a team laden with under 25 year old talent into the rocks. He isn’t? What’s he doing? The team are all playing like shit. And that’s 100% down to Eakin’s and his pseudo-intellectual approach to wtf.

36. hunter1909 says:

The poster who mentioned farm boy Sutter wins this thread.

37. PhrankLee says:

Missing Pouliot and Gordon so badly, this team. Hendricks did a very good fill in job for Gordo. But he is not Gordo. Personally I would like to see Lander called up to cover that spot but he appears to be slightly out of favor. We put a lot of time into this guy and he needs a chance to fail. The “message sending” to players adds to the L column. In this light of examination MacT shows us what his real mandate is. Change the level of urgency, respect and responsibility. Damn the win/loss this year. We would be icing our best possible chance to win every night if we weren’t playing catch up with this locker room. I cannot think of any other reason to not ice the best team possible.

We are 1/3 through the season and Justin Schultz has FINALLY had his destructive, nonchalant, freeloading icetime cut. When that happens to Hall we will be talking about true accountability.

I can hear it now….Who’s gonna score the goals..? Well we are only capable of scoring 2 lately and this year is being used to send a new message from above. So send it fairly and send it to the “untouchables”. Jesus I hate that word in relation to a hockey team. Untouchable players eventually detect the weakness of management and use their good play as a weapon against current coaching staff.

Do the Oilers have an attitude/gratitude problem? If so it starts at the top. Ference seems to think so. As much as he is a limited player he is a very seasoned NHL vet. He says all the guys coming in from other organizations notice the attitude problem.

38. anonymous says:

The excuses for Eakins are beyond ridiculous. He sucks.

To simplify further, previous coaches with weaker rosters and man games lost exceeding 300 won more games.

The only weaker aspect of this team is management.

Assholes.

39. hunter1909 says:

Checking the standings(the stats I follow, silly me); Eakin’s Oilers currently on course for a phenomenal 19 wins. That’s as many as the Ducks!

I almost hate to imagine how they’d be doing without Eakin’s highly intellectual approach to team development.

40. MenovOil says:

God be good, we have the same amount of points as Carolina. There’s actually another team in this league that sucks as bas as us. I am quite shocked.

As I said in the middle of the losing streak, I have a hard time seeing this team reach 20 wins.

41. RMGS says:

frjohnk: Yup, my first born and the last nights baby both watched an oiler game at about 2 hrs old.

Gotta start them young

What’s the number for child services in your jurisdiction? 🙂

Congrats.

42. frjohnk says:

RMGS: What’s the number for child services in your jurisdiction?

Congrats.

ha ha.

thanks

43. Ca$h-Money! says:

MenovOil,

Of course they have 2 games in hand and a much easier schedule on the horizon… so…. ya….

44. Pouzar says:

Worlds Worst Sports Franchise: RexLibris, The Oilers are in 30th.The Falmes are higher than that. Quite a bit higher, actually.Are you’re throwing Corgis at the Falmes from your glass house?

Anyone know what Patrick Roy is doing today?

45. Ca$h-Money! says:

Pouzar,

Using his tears to polish his Jack Adams Award and praying no one takes it away from him.

« Older Comments