RANGERS AT OILERS, G31 2014-15

Shame. Shame on the Edmonton Oilers. This is the fifth year of Taylor Hall’s NHL career and he hasn’t been close to a playoff game. Five years is a long time but it’s a drop in the bucket compared to the long suffering of Oilers fans through these years. The year is ruined, the decade is ruined and now they’re working on the century. When will it end? When will this team begin to win hockey games consistently and contend? When will fans be able to enjoy themselves during an Oilers game? Don’t know.

Shame on the Edmonton Oilers. Shame on Craig MacTavish. You can say (and he did) that it’s unfair to include him in this mess, he has been on the job for less than two full years. That is not technically true—he was hired as a consultant in 2012, and one imagines MacT had sweeping powers, just as Bob Nicholson may have today—but even with that the decisions of the MacT era are incredibly similar to previous Edmonton regimes.

draisaitl capture 1

During his media avail Friday last, MacTavish said any decision made in regard to Leon Draisaitl would be made with the player’s best interest in mind. Doing what’s best for the player. Man we’ve heard that before, about Sam Gagner and Nail Yakupov and on and on and on. Leon Draisaitl probably loses sleep at night fretting over being sent back to junior (or Europe) but if the team has his best interest (long term) in mind that’s exactly what they’ll do. Short term pain, long term gain. The Oilers don’t turn back on a decision because admitting you’re wrong isn’t in the playbook. You know what the best thing for Leon would have been? To be drafted by the Calgary Flames.

katz

The Edmonton Oilers under Daryl Katz have been a simply awful organization. From threats to move to Seattle because bully to the current state of affairs on the ice. And we get ‘Daryl is very upset’ as a response. WHO CARES? Do something Daryl. Reduce ticket prices, throw in another $10 million on the arena, free beer Sundays, something.

“Daryl is very upset” doesn’t mean one damn thing. NOT plucking Kyle Chipchura off waivers a week ago is absolutely the personification of ‘we’re drilling down for the No. 1 overall pick” and frankly the league should step in.

Shame on you, Edmonton Oilers. You’re robbing the fans, Taylor Hall and yourself of the most precious thing: Time. Every day of suffering is another day of good feeling wasted and yet the decisions of the past are rinsed and repeated.

Shame, shame, shame. Shame on you.

MACT’S MEN

brossoit ferguson 14153Ordinarily this morning I’d talk about Anton Lander, who is a perfect fit recall for the Oilers at this time. However, it’s fairly clear the Oilers have a plethora of players in OKC who are on the ‘bad bad man’ list for one reason or another—Lander, Martin Marincin—so let’s talk about players who are in fact part of this organization’s future under Craig MacTavish. Until the Edmonton Oilers are run like an actual hockey team, where good performance is rewarded, it’s about all we can do.

rodgers brossoit

That’s some very nice progress by Brossoit and there’s no denying it. He did not project as an especially spectacular prospect when Edmonton traded for him, but Bob Green (who may end up having a stronger voice in the New Originals Oilers front office 2015) looks like a pretty smart man this morning. Edmonton should keep Brossoit on the farm for this and next season to make sure he’s a player, so you can assume he’ll be recalled later today.

FINDING RYAN

pitlick ferguson 1415 At practice yesterday the Oilers used Matt Hendricks (1PP) and Tyler Pitlick (2PP) as guys who will go to the net and do their Ryan Smyth impersonations. Smyth was a brilliant player in this area, one of the very best I’ve ever seen. WHY isn’t he coaching this for, you know, the Edmonton Oilers? Seriously? I’m asking because I don’t know. It seems to me Smyth would be a really good candidate to spend time with Tyler Pitlick or Matt Hendricks (or Mitch Moroz or Jujhar Khaira) and teach them about shielding the goalie without taking a penalty, or tipping pucks and how to get good at it. Ryan Smyth. Hire him. And get Billy Moores back in there while you’re at it, I suspect the ideas department could use an upgrade.

WASTE NOT, WANT NOT

Martin-Marincin-perry nelson usa sports

With Martin Marincin well on his way to joining Jason Chimera, Kyle Brodziak and Andrew Cogliano as excellent NHL players the Edmonton Oilers were too good for, it’s worth speculating what ‘might have been’ with the Oilers blue line before the Oilers break up the band. Jeff Petry and Mark Fayne would have been a nice RH tandem moving forward, and LH might have offered the team Oscar Klefbom, Marincin and eventually Darnell Nurse. Marincin’s shortcomings—skinny, not physical, sideburns—are maladies that afflict the young and many of them will likely be overcome by Marincin through the natural progression of aging. It’s going to be painful watching him sent away for 10 cents on the dollar and combined with the Petry trade it will be such a disaster for this organization.

I think Riley Nash and Tobias Rieder may have had the right idea.

ANYONE BUT MARINCIN

hunt ferguson 1415The Oilers have recalled Brad Hunt from OKC this morning. Free Martin. Send him to a good team so he can get on with the business of doing what he was put on this earth to do: Play good hockey for a good hockey team. The Edmonton Oilers are a bad hockey team in the National Hockey League and they make decisions based on things other than winning.

hunt recall

482 Responses to "RANGERS AT OILERS, G31 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Schultz afraid of getting hit by Carl freakin Hagelin. The giant from Sweden. Good Gord he has so much to work on.

2. TemujinBC says:

Captain’s Log: That would be amazing! Wow! I’ll have to find something interesting to send your way…

What’s your e-mail address?

westcoastchaos@gmail.com

I’ll probably drop in a bunch of shit beer too, ha!

Snowman:

I plan on it. Unfortunately, it seems that all great women cheer for the Roughriders.

It may be her only flaw.

God. It’s incredible. Damn Roughriders.

4. smellyglove says:

Legitimate question:

if the Oilers are supposed to be a team filled with young offensive dynamos, why were the bottom 3 in goals per game both last year and this year?

smellyglove:
    Legitimate question:

6. Gerta Rauss says:

smellyglove,

Because we’re not a team filled with young offensive dynamos

7. teddyturnbuckle says:

Can’t be long for Eakins now .

8. Pouzar says:

Well we know Rod hangs out here.

Rod Phillips ‏@oilvoice37 1m1 minute ago
    Oilers loose another they played hard against thew rangers who were playing their second in a row. It just continues.

9. gogliano says:

smellyglove:
    Legitimate question:

Because Oilers.

10. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Also a legitimate question, this stretch of 20 games is approaching the worst 20 games in Oiler history, is it not? I remember ’93 the team started something like 3-18-3 before Teddy Green got fired, but this is, what, 3 wins, 19 losses in the last 22.

11. OilClog says:

This orgnization wants to truly kill it’s fan base.

12. RMGS says:

Kitchener:
    geowal,

Not sure what I like better:Quebec beer, Quebec players, or Quebec women.

(shakes head)

Quebec women take the cake(says the prairie kid who married one)

I second this.

The Oilers lose again, but I get to dormir avec ma belle tout de suite.

13. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Lowetide: Because they aren’t playing anything close to a game that uses their skills properly.

I’d add that Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle are the only two players that have had seasons you could classify as “offensive dynamo.” Love Nuge and he started year one like he would be an offensive dynamo, but he isn’t there yet. Yak? Nope. Schultz? In the AHL only.

So uh, yeah, I would say that assessment of the team is misguided.

14. danny says:

Well… They didn’t play too bad and they got 2 points in the McRace for Last Place.

And Modest Mouse announced their new album is released on March 3rd.

Things could be worse… but not worse than fruity beer. Blech.

15. Hammers says:

That’s the key and typically that falls on coaching & his choice of players . . Can’t get over all the players shooting % .

16. Genjutsu says:

McAwful

17. Captain's Log says:

Well yet again that was far too easy of a game for an opponent coming into Rexall.

One positive was that the Oilers actually generated some half chances with the net pulled. Not a great looking 6-5 but a step in the right direction.

Given how often the Oilers are going to be down 1 goal or 2 heading to the end of the game I wonder if Eakins is running drills for 6-5 scenarios?

18. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

RMGS: I second this.

The Oilers lose again, but I get to dormir avec ma belle tout de suite.

Lucky guys. Now that I’m single, I get to instead get a bad night’s sleep to start off my week as I stay up late to watch my team lose yet again and barely show any effort until the final 2 minutes of the game. Why do I bother again? #becauseOilers

19. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

danny,

Yes, thank you! I’m not completely alone on that then.

20. OilClog says:

Before Hall is traded, gut this management, let the new people make the trades.

Pay Babcock 8million a year.

21. edoil1 says:

Genjutsu,

Somehow I think the Oiler’s, are the only team that could turn him into McRib.

22. frjohnk says:

17 goals in the last 12 games for the oilers.
    I think Gretzky scored 17 goals in 12 games once as well.

23. Hammers says:

Gordies Elbow:
    Eastern Oil,

I think that the value of most players is below what the fans believe, and that an empty slot in a 50 man list has more value than many players on many nights.

I think that Chipchura doesn’t help the team win in the short term, and doesn’t help (and quite possibly hurts) the team next year. I can understand why they didn’t pick him up.

I think that the Lander situation is more of a challenge – he’s waiver eligible, and they likely think he’s good enough to be a replacement player and would be picked up by another team. Personally, I go back to point #1. I think that the value of most players is below what Oiler management believes.Call the man up!

You hit the nail on the head and that includes the #1 overall choices .

24. oliveoilers says:

dangilitis: I’m unimpressed with your ability to read someone’s response, followed by any semblance of a counter argument that does not include an accurate representation of what that individual suggested.

I never once stated an inaccurate belief in that we needed to trade for Chipchura. Even if I did, my bottom line has always been that If that is your tipping point, that the Oilers needed Chipchura as their 4th line C and passed on him – if this is what you think is the straw that broke the camel’s back, then a) you must really like to torture camels, and b) I would much rather have someone else play armchair GM than you. Fin.

For god’s sake, stop this inane rambling about Chipchura torturing camels. It’s just sick and wrong.

25. jake70 says:

OilClog:
    This orgnization wants to truly kill it’s fan base.

Just did quick check. Last 58 home games (41 last year + 17 this year).
    Scored 1 goal or less = 24 times.
    Shut out = 10 times.

I am not there but you read comments often that Rexall is quiet. No wonder.

26. Pouzar says:

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 8m8 minutes ago
    Lundqvist on the #Oilers: “They played not to make any mistakes.”

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 5m5 minutes ago
    “I could tell early on they were sitting back.” More Lundqvist on #Oilers

27. Zangetsu says:

frjohnk,

I doubt it. If our Brad Hunt can’t get it done, it’s impossible.

28. oliveoilers says:

Don’t be fooled into thinking that was a close game tonight. We didn’t look close to scoring. In fact Jultz had the best chance on his own empty net.

29. oliveoilers says:

Pouzar:
    Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis8m8 minutes ago
    Lundqvist on the #Oilers: “They played not to make any mistakes.”

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis5m5 minutes ago
    “I could tell early on they were sitting back.” More Lundqvist on #Oilers

Henrik should be careful. MacT will trade him if he keeps bad mouthing the team.

30. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Pouzar,

Yup, corsi, fenwick may tell a different tale but this was one game where the Oilers barely mustered a thing against a tired Rangers team who sat back as well and played a nice road game. It didn’t feel like a close one at all.

The Oilers only have one real weapon.

Speed.

Eakins has coached that out of them now.

He’s lost me.

MacT lost me this week and now Eakins lost me this week.

No fun being a fan of this team anymore.

32. Bank Shot says:

Captain’s Log:

“Visually” they have made a lot of “steps in the right direction” this season.

I think they need a new compass.

33. Pouzar says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Pouzar,

Sounds like I picked the right game to miss.

34. Pouzar says:

Rob Tychkowski ‏@Sun_Tychkowski 11m11 minutes ago
    “We don’t have much going. That’s all I’ve got.”- David Perron’s post game interview.

35. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Rob Tychkowski ✔ @Sun_Tychkowski
    Oilers are 1-1-1 when leading after the first period. This is the 31st game of the season.

That. Just. Says. It. All.

If the Oilers had scored first tonight they probably would have won it. How do they muster nothing against the Rangers, at home, in this situation?

36. Zangetsu says:

Fun fact, in his last 12 games Seguin has 11 goals.

37. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Pouzar,

Yeah, you missed nothing. I wish I’d just gone to bed. Alarm clock in 5 hours and I’m going to be bitter in the morning I stayed up late to watch another zero effort outing.

38. "Frank The Dog" says:

#ThankYouDaryl.
    2014-15 19-50-12 extrapolated from 7-19-5 after Rangers game.
    2013-14 29-44-9
    2012-13 32-38-12 extrapolated from 19-22-7
    2011-12 32-40-10
    2010-11 25-45-12
    2009-10 27-47-8

2008-09 38-35-9 This is a statistical carry-over from the EIG.

EIG

2007-08 41-35-06
    2006-07 32-43-07 Team gutted through exodus of top guns.
    2005-06 41-28-13
    2003-04 36-29-12-5
    2002-03 36-26-11-9
    2001-02 38-28-12-4
    2000-01 39-28-12-3

Turns out the bad old, underfunded, team gutting EIG were in fact the golden days – compared to now. But it’s not all bad. EIG couldn’t afford a development system, however Tambellini,UNDER KATZ gutted the pipeline. Nonetheless, we do have a good development system. It’s just the big club that’s completely broken. Lowe is a constant between Daryl and the rest. But, Lowe’s teams did better under the EIG than under Daryl. Pat Quinn, bless his soul, did well until he came to Edmonton. Tom Renney and Ralph Krueger did well before they came here, and after they left. Dallas did enough in the Center of The Universe to be a hot coaching commodity when MacT hired him. MacT’s record under Katz was pretty much the same before Katz, likely because it was too soon for Daryl to stick his fingers in the pie.

Under the EIG the fans could reasonably expect 36 to 41 wins per season. Under Daryl we can reasonably expect 19-32 wins, and that’s is the team wins 1f more games which WG may bet on but not this dog. Put simply Daryl’s best is equal to the worst year the EIG ever had.

#ThanksDaryl!

39. Pouzar says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Pouzar,

I watched an episode of Mad Men and a movie with my wife. Time to stop fretting over this mess and get on with living. What a clusterf^ck this organization is.

40. Hammers says:

Can someone start a rumor McT ordered to fire Eakins and go behind the bench himself . Oh I just did .

41. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Pouzar,

Good choice. Keep the missus happy.

42. book¡je says:

Woodguy:
    The Oilers only have one real weapon.

Speed.

Eakins has coached that out of them now.

He’s lost me.

MacT lost me this week and now Eakins lost me this week.

No fun being a fan of this team anymore.

Yep, I am also pretty clear and pretty sad. A team can’t be this bad without failure in every role. I watched Halls’s line dominate other teams 3 years ago. I know they benefited from high shooting percentages, but they were still pretty good.

Too many bad decisions suggest they are narrowmindedy focusing on a few factors while totally ignoring the rest.

Maybe this is Eakins final game. Hopefully (if he goes), he was also influential in terms of roster decisions and the bad roster moves go away with him as well.

43. "Frank The Dog" says:

It’s not Lowe, it’s not MacT, it wasn’t Quinn, nor Renney, nor Krueger, it’s not the players. The constant is the hands-on owner no matter how fervently his employers deny that. Their jobs depend on that.

#ThanksDaryl!

44. Clay says:

Without a doubt, the highlight of this game was the Big Georges interview. And it wasn’t a good interview.

45. GCW_69 says:

You have to think Krueger checks in with TSN once and a while and has a real chuckle at MacT’s expense.

46. Pouzar says:

What scares me is I don’t believe this organization is trying to tank.

47. the_Fab_5 says:

Woodguy:
    The Oilers only have one real weapon.

Speed.

Eakins has coached that out of them now.

He’s lost me.

MacT lost me this week and now Eakins lost me this week.

No fun being a fan of this team anymore.

other than Hall and maybe RNH…who’s fast on this team?

they’re a lot of things…speed isn’t one of them

48. smellyglove says:

Anyone still attending the games? What’re they like? Are Main St. Edmontonians walking into Rexall with thoughts of a win before puck drop? Are they jaded? What do they talk about? Do they speak of patience and promise?

Posted from Vancouver.

49. Bank Shot says:

the_Fab_5: other than Hall and maybe RNH…who’s fast on this team?

they’re a lot of things…speed isn’t one of them

Yea, the last fast team they had was probably 10-11.

Basically all of the speed has been purged.

They are slow, small, and soft so they have that going for them.

50. PaperDesigner says:

The Edmonton Oilers are on pace for a 50 point season.

Since the introduction of the shootout, and thus, the guarantee of one team winning every game during the 2005-2006 season, there have only been three teams that have finished with less than 60 points.

The 2005-2006 St. Louis Blues finished with 57 points.

The 2006-2007 Philadelphia Flyers finished with 56 points.

The 2013-2014 Buffalo Sabres finished with 52 points.

The last time an NHL team finished a season with 50 or fewer points? The 1999-2000 Atlanta Thrashers, who had 39 points. That was their first season in the NHL.

The Oilers aren’t merely bad. If they end the season this way, they’ll be historically awful.

51. TemujinBC says:

PaperDesigner:
    The Edmonton Oilers are on pace for a 50 point season.

Since the introduction of the shootout, and thus, the guarantee of one team winning every game no matter what, in the 2005-2006 season, there have only been three teams that have finished with less than 60 points.

The 2005-2006 St. Louis Blues finished with 57 points.

The 2006-2007 Philadelphia Flyers finished with 56 points.

The 2013-2014 Buffalo Sabres finished with 52 points.

So you’re saying you can hook me up with cheap game tickets?

52. PaperDesigner says:

TemujinBC: So you’re saying you can hook me up with cheap game tickets?

If I wasn’t of the “broke university student” persuasion, yes. 😛

Oh, and one more fun factoid–remember how 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 were supposed to represent the absolute low points for the franchise, where they finished dead last in the NHL? They finished with 62 points, twelve ahead of their current place.

53. TemujinBC says:

PaperDesigner,

Setting new standards is what #becauseOilers is all about.

Yergh
    Yergh
    Yergh

54. vesci says:

frjohnk,

Iirc in 1981-82 when Gretzky scored 50 goals in 39 games he had 31 goals in 30 games and he went on to score 19 goals in the next 9 games, so yes Gretzky did score more than 17 goals in a 12 game stretch by himself.

I long for the old days.

55. pocession charge says:

Pouzar:
    What scares me is I don’t believe this organization is trying to tank.

Me either. Just total incompetence. This is the nadir.

56. vesci says:

In fact Gretxky had 15 goals between games 35-39 including 4 in game 38 and 5 in game 39

57. pocession charge says:

teddyturnbuckle:
    Can’t be long for Eakins now .

Godot has the confetti ready to fly.

That was not an enjoyable hockey game.

59. Clay says:

pocession charge: Me either.Just total incompetence.This is the nadir.

I hate when people use the word “nadir” to describe the Oilers, because every time it gets thrown out there, things get worse.

Let’s all just agree to wait until better days are here, and call the bottom of this pit in hindsight, mkay? Because there are plenty of ways this could get worse.

60. frjohnk says:

Oilers get a good goaltender performance and can’t even show up to score a goal.

Guaranteed next game oilers score 3 or 4 but oiler goalie gets lit up for 2 more than oilers score keeping the streak alive.

61. Kmart99 says:

Is this the worst oilers roster ever assembled?

62. Kmart99 says:

Fire everyone. EVERYONE.

63. Oddspell says:

I think if the Oilers were actually making changes and falling short, I’d be a lot more content. The fact that there’s no urgency to win NOW is what really pisses me off about this team.

64. Kmart99 says:

They just suck so much.

65. Dicky94 says:

Officially can’t bring myself to watch this team any longer. Going to give them a break until there is a trade or a reasonable call up. It’s just not good hockey anymore and I feel so bad for the season ticket holders. This is the worst i have ever seen them and I am afraid that i could be losing interest in my favourite team. At least the World Juniors are just around the corner. Please hurry summer.

66. hags9k says:

Why are people still worrying over the roster moves? Or Jultz’s icetime? Marincin has been identified as a threat to the draft position. Coaching change? No chance. Eakins has been identified as a boost to draft position.

If we want to be hard on MacT for sending this team to battle unprepared at the start of the year fine. But don’t waste your breath criticizing anything from here on out.

Marincin. Jultz, Eakins, Chipchura. It’s all Katz.

We are intentionally tanking for McEichel people. Get out of denial.

67. hags9k says:

the_Fab_5,

Yak is fast, but never gets the puck with speed. Ever.

I remember someone talking about playing with Jagr, and they said that if Jagr circled back and picked up speed through the neutral zone, he expected the puck every time, and would tear a strip off a teammate if the pass didn’t arrive when he wanted it.
    That needs to be Yak, when he gets on the ice, get to speed and get fed the puck.

Speaking of Yak, he needs to be told to hang onto the puck. I for one would like to see more of the play go through him. He is too afraid of the coach now to stickhandle, just hot potatoes it somewhere safe. Thanks coach, great to see you have our #1 overall Russian sniper rounding into fourth line plugger material.

He needs to have the puck much longer. Sit him down and show him Patrick Kane tape. He could play that game, has all the tools. Make him a feature player, get him strutting out there.

68. OilClog says:

The fact that people use the Oilers as a punchline and they don’t even watch hockey..

My friend, “I just Oiler’d my beer all over my taco”

He hates hockey, he’s convinced me to stop watching. have to admit his antics are far more entertaining.

69. MrEd says:

I think that if this continues (even for another game or two) that a coaching change this season should be inevitable and the only real choice that the Oilers have is Todd Nelson. He is familiar with most of the line-up and from what i can tell is someone that the players in the organization enjoy playing for. Let’s play again.
    There is a small degree of separation between him and Ramsay with the Atlanta organization. i suspect that the two of them are familiar with each other which would temper the change. No doubt that this would be a contentious with the fan-base because the Thrashers were not good, BUT relationships really are everything and so it fits.
    (Dealing with Acton is the hard part of this scenario. (A lark won’t fit for a his replacement))
    Eakins is not right with this team.

70. SwedishPoster says:

This is so bad, so so bad. Lundqvist had more dead on things to say about this team after playing one game against them than the GM and coach of this team has had all year. Everything is terrible. It’s like an old delta blues song “I’m in hell and the devil won’t even let me stay here”.

Everything is a complete mess.
    The roster moves are bizarre.
    The players don’t care anymore.
    The fans are completely jaded. More and more are spacing out.
    The coaches and management has no clue whatsoever about how to balance accountability and building confidence.
    The coaches can’t muster anything resembling systemic play offensively.
    The D looks like what you teach 10 year olds, “you can’t all run around, one of you has to stand in front of the net, no need to move your feet or anything, and the wingers, it’s enough if you lazily poke check once in a while, no need to consider positioning as a winger, none at all.”
    The PP is a disaster.
    The fourth line has gone from “wagon line” to “tank line”, such a pointless pile of rubbish whenever they’re on the ice.
    The Edmonton media are like little kittens interviewing players and coaches.
    The locker room is poisoned worse than Hamlets father, a poison that has trickled down from upper management and spread like the mumps. No player seems to enjoy playing anymore.
    The only bright spot is the AHL team. And soon enough we’ll lose the coach doing a great job on that team, probably giving the spot to one of Lowe or MacTs old buddies.

Everyone in upper management needs to go, right this second. Whoever ends up in charge gets to evaluate coaching but I don’t see any point in keeping Eakins anymore, I was willing to give him a shot to redeem his first year, but when there is nothing resembling a structure in the way the team plays after a season and a half, not one player on the team playing with confidence nor purpose and every single player regressing individually I don’t see how he keeps his job. The team makes less glaring mistakes, I’ll give him that, but at the cost of the team looking like they have anything resembling an own gameplan, any kind of consistent teamplay. Like Lundqvist said after the game, they play to not make mistakes. They have zero tactical identity, they’re unable to take charge and get the games where they want, probably because they don’t know where that is.

It’s obviously not all on Eakins, This is a roster packed with coach killers, so I’m not at all certain he’s a bad coach, but he clearly isn’t the right guy for this group. The coach killing squad has him lined up and ready to shoot and he’s got no clue on how to get out of there.

If Eakins is fired the next step is the roster. I would give the (yet another) new coach at least a few weeks, probably most of the season, with the main group at hand, (after making the obvious roster moves ofc) to see what he’s got, if he can get them going, before starting to look at any trades.

And before the arrival of the new coach the new GM needs to talk to the players in private, each player on the 50 man roster, calling them out, the core guys in particular, on killing yet another coaching career, getting yet another GM fired, making it clear that from now on it’s carte blanche. No core players exist. No captains exist until someone has shown enough leadership to get a letter. No draft pedigree exist, the minute the draft is over, draft position is completely moot and this needs to be preached to every future pick this org makes as well. No special treatments. No gifted spots on the team. No gifted minutes. No gifted PP time.
    Everyone is allowed to make mistakes, offensive players need to have the coaches blessing to take chances, but if you keep making the same mistakes, if the chances you take do more harm than good, you need to adapt or get your ice time cut and if that won’t help it’s PB/AHL/TRADE for you.

This is such a sad state. It’s embarrassing to think we might get “rewarded” with a fantastic player at the end of this.

End rant. For now.

71. SwedishPoster says:

MrEd:
    I think that if this continues (even for another game or two) that a coaching change this season should be inevitable and the only real choice that the Oilers have is Todd Nelson. He is familiar with most of the line-up and from what i can tell is someone that the players in the organization enjoy playing for.Let’s play again.
    There is a small degree of separation between him and Ramsay with the Atlanta organization.isuspect that the two of them are familiar with each other which would temper the change. No doubt that this would be a contentious with the fan-base because the Thrashers were not good, BUT relationships really are everything and so it fits.
    (Dealing with Acton is the hard part of this scenario.(A lark won’t fit for a his replacement))
    Eakins is not right with this team.

Agreed on Nelson. Give him the rest of this season as the interim to show us what he’s got. He seems like a guy the players enjoy playing for, even a pissed off Ben Eager really enjoyed playing under him and every guy coming up looks well-coached to me, especially the D-men. If he fails there’s a better crop of coaches available in the summer and if he turns the team around, well there you go. If he’s given a shot and fails there might be a better chance he stays on as head coach in OKC as well.

72. PREDICKTER says:

SwedishPoster:

Everything is a complete mess.
    The roster moves are bizarre.
    The players don’t care anymore.
    The fans are completely jaded. More and more are spacing out.
    The coaches can’t muster anything resembling systemic play offensively.
    The PPis a disaster.
    The Edmonton media are like little kittensinterviewing players and coaches.

End rant. For now.

Very well said. You win the internets tonite. MSM should put this on the front page of the sports section.

73. anonymous says:

So this is what coaching continuity looks like? Has this team been shutout more under any previous coach?

Mact talks too much, puts his foot in his mouth and has no idea how to remove it. Don’t blame MacEakins? Bullshit. At least the kids were scoring and smiling before these two clowns showed up. Bold moves my ass. How this team can allow these inexperienced clowns to ruin it is amazing. Assholes.

II now prefer Pocklington over Katz.

74. RicaGreaser says:

I think the point at which I learn to hate this team is possibly a real thing now. I can’t even enjoy the wheels falling off in Calgary and Vancouver because the Edmonton dumpster-fire is so bright it hurts my eyes.

Some fucking birthday.

75. HolyCow says:

The Oilers are now 177-247-60 since Daryl Katz purchased the team. The constants are K.Lowe, C MacTavish and S Howson. A blind man can see the problems.The Oilers need to lose the right to pick higher than 30th this coming draft. Intentional losing is not to be rewarded

76. Surly says:

I moved to Calgary this summer thinking it would be a good season to be an Oiler fan in Cowtown. Oh how wrong I was. The Flames free-fall is the only meaningful thing to cheer for making the four remaining games the only must-see-TV left this season.

Firing everyone and appointing Nicholson in charge of finding the next GM is the right move IMO. He might not have experience running an NHL team but I suspect he has strong and wide-reaching relationships throughout the league which would be more important as President of Hockey Ops. Hire the right GM…let him run things…be a sounding board when called upon.

So fun being a fan of the laughing stock of the league.

77. Ryan says:

Two nights in a row and the same dream. Colorado somehow wins the draft lottery and we draft third overall.

Hall was the 2nd best player in the Western Conference next to Toews in the lockout season, and going supernova.

100 games of MacT and Eakins and Ference, coming in with three jackboots to his throat, and he is a powder puff.

79. PhrankLee says:

What a thread. All I’m missing is Rikithebear’s excellent numbers detailing our historic crap fest as a team.

Shame indeed, LT. Well met.

I keep going back to the MacT description of how the team never dictates the play and he used an interesting word talking about how the team could only “absorb” the push back when leading.

Is he not subtly admitting that they are losers? It was a stunning moment to me.

Put any of these core guys(including 19!!) in the top six (you know what I mean) of any Western team, minus Colorado maybe Arizona and you improve your team, full stop.

But together they “absorb” the opponent’s attack. (which would be fine if they did that absorbing TOGETHER)

There is no mistaking the sexual innuendo there, so apologies to the sensitive.

Oilers are getting bent over and screwed in every measurable way.

80. Dicky94 says:

Ryan,

I hope that happens because what they are doing to achieve that #1 pick is just wrong.

81. Unicorns says:

No coach could win with this roster. What concerns me is the attitude coming down from above which seems to be blaming the players and making excuses. Eakins says the right things but his players are seemingly miserable and he is not creating any evidence of a style of play as Swedish mentioned, and his players as a group and are not playing well.

Blaming the players for this mess is a very big mistake and could create problems that aren’t solvable without moving people. They were put in a position to fail and guess what?

The concerns for me are as what Swedish said: there is little evidence of a system that suits the roster and type of players they have. They shouldn’t be winning, but we should be able to see it taking shape, older Oiler fans have been through this before, and what they were doing then hadn’t been done before and many didn’t like it, but you could see something was happening and they were bursting with passion and confidence.

I think management bought into hype again when they hired Eakins. I was disheartened to learn that they had interviewed Cooper. I thought he was in the Tampa system and didn’t come available. But he wasn’t the sexy choice I guess. Of all the things about this season reading that is second worse for me only behind the collapse in the morale of the younger players, the ones who still have the dream alive, hopefully.

Cooper had won at every level, taking losing teams and turning them around, worked his way up. Eakins didn’t go through that process and had his final pre-NHL success with a stacked AHL team. These kinds of errors in judgement are what are killing the team and need to stop. Tampa’s roster is not much if any better than the Oilers. They have Stamkos and Hedman but two great players and the Eastern conference don’t make a winning team necessarily. There is good coaching happening there, 6-3 vs the west, +23 goal diff, 53.3CF%.

At some point Katz has to see that all of the talk is leading nowhere. I doubt Rexall employees have that leeway. He can keep all the guys on the payroll, there is no management cap, but let someone else run the team if this doesn’t change soon.

82. Brad Hunt recalled as the Edmonton Oilers desperately search for some power play offence | Edmonton Journal says:

[…] Hunt’s recall has not generally been popular. TSN 1260’s Allan Mitchell (better known by his internet handle Lowetide) is generally as reserved as they come but he framed the Hunt recall as an ‘anyone but Marincin’ move on his blog this morning: […]

« Older Comments