OILERS AT COYOTES G32, 2014-15

Todd Nelson makes his NHL coaching debut tonight with Craig MacTavish alongside, or vice versa. I doubt it matters to Nelson, this is a long time coming and there’s finally a real opportunity to become an NHL head coach full stop. As for the rest of these Oilers, losing a coach can’t be fun but today a new opportunity dawns. Winning is still the object of the game.

hall twitter on eakinsThere are individuals who will look to make light, or mileage, or reads from yesterday’s news, but I think the wise man (or woman) watches things unfold. The adjustment period will take some time but Craig MacTavish was a very good coach in this league and I’m sure he’ll see things that can be fixed. He isn’t superman—bloody get ready for some of the craziest power-play adjustments you’ve ever seen—but 5×5 this team should be tight when things settle.

The concern is really personnel. I don’t think this team has iced an ideal lineup much this season because there’s always something. That’s what happens to losing teams. It is my sincere hope that we see Martin Marincin and Anton Lander up with the big club soon, certainly after Christmas. What would a solid Oilers lineup look like with everyone healthy? If Boyd Gordon and Benoit Pouliot return and Niki Nikitin can be sort of good, then there are some nice options for this team.

I’m not certain Craig MacTavish believes recalling Martin Marincin and playing him over Keith Aulie or Brandon Davidson is a good idea and that’s a big concern for me. I’m not certain that Craig MacTavish believes recalling Anton Lander and playing him over Luke Gazdic or Steve Pinizzotto is a good idea and that’s a big concern for me.

Who knows? Maybe Todd Nelson and Craig MacTavish will help each other out. It’s possible.

• Dallas Eakins, June 2013“I don’t coach a team. I coach anywhere from 23 to 27 individuals. The way you coach players now is you get them one-on-one. You grab them for lunch, you hit them at the coffee machine. It’s small group meetings, it’s one-on-one meetings and it’s constant. It’s every day. You’ve got to know their triggers. You have to look under a lot of stones sometimes to find out what makes a guy tick. But once you’ve got it, you can really help push him in the right direction.” Source
  • Todd Nelson“Being a head coach is more or less managing people, trying to get players to care more about each other than themselves.  I really enjoy that aspect.” (via Patricia Teter‘s twitter account)

One thing appears certain: The Oilers’ players will have a coach with a different approach. Will it be successful? No idea. Based on comments from everyone I follow, Nelson appears to be genuine. I NEVER tell people what to do, but Neal Livingston is a wonderful writer who has a gift for passing along valuable information in a very compelling way.

pakarinen hamilton ferguson 1415

BARONS CALLUP?

So far this season, the Oilers have called down to Oklahoma City for several players:

• Steve Pinizotto 13GP, 1-1-2
  • Tyler Pitlick 7GP, 1-0-1
  • Iiro Pakarinen 5GP, 1-0-1
  • Martin Marincin 12GP, 0-1-1
  • Oscar Klefbom 10GP, 0-1-1
  • Keith Aulie 12GP, 0-0-0
  • Brandon Davidson 3GP, 0-0-0
  • Bogdan Yakimov 1GP, 0-0-0

I don’t really understand why they sent Pakarinen or Marincin down in the first place. They are joined by a few other candidates in OKC:

• C Anton Lander 24GP, 6-18-24. No idea why he hasn’t seen action this year.
  • R Iiro Pakarinen 19GP, 10-4-14. Absolute no-brainer recall.
  • L Curtis Hamilton 23GP, 5-8-13. It’ll be interesting to see if he can stay healthy long enough to get a recall.
  • D Jordan Oesterle 25GP, 4-6-10. College blue has chaos defensively but can post offense.
  • C Bogdan Yakimov 20GP, 1-6-7. Too soon really but MacT likes him and may want to see him in the NHL.
  • D Martin Marincin 7GP, 0-2-2. Excellent young blue should be in the NHL. This team needs to find its future.
  • G Laurent Brossoit 10GP, 2.59 .917. MacT traded for him wouldn’t be surprised to see him called up for a game.

hall15

TRADING HALL

• Taylor Hall:  “You hear things. Whether the rumours are true, you never really know (but) the best teams in the league don’t break up their core. They’re not trading guys because they’re winning so it’s on us to improve and do whatever we can to get respectability back this year.” Source
  • Darren Dreger: “Yeah. I think it speaks from a willingness to adapt. So I am choosing my words carefully in saying that. I don’t – I’m not in that room… We gather our information from the sources that we have and my sense is Taylor Hall has a pretty specific way/vision of how he sees he needs to play, and maybe how the team needs to play. And he isn’t really open to the idea of change. And that’s a problem.” Source
  • Bob McKenzie: “I don’t know that he’s uncoachable. I suspect that – if I had to guess, and it’s only a guess – if they’re thinking of trading Taylor Hall, Taylor Hall might be the first guy to say, ‘great’ after everything he’s been through. But when I look at this, I think Dregs is right. I think everything is going to be on the table and that includes, potentially, Taylor Hall.” Source

Look I don’t like this story any more than you do—Taylor Hall is all that and then some more—but we don’t know the inner workings of this team and we can’t be confident in the management of this team. That’s really what this season is about, the lack of confidence in management to make good decisions. Craig MacTavish made some good bets in the summer but didn’t get close to giving his coach a center depth chart that could win hockey games. That’s a problem because it speaks to competency. The team never came close to icing a balanced lineup and again that speaks to competency. They chose wrong on the goalies, and again……

That said, if you’re asking me if the Oilers will trade Taylor Hall, my answer is no. Unless he’s asked for a trade—and that is possible, folks—and even then the club has every right to keep him until full value is offered by another team. The thing about Hall is this: He’s the franchise player. We can talk about what-if’s in terms of McDavid and Eichel but there’s no guarantee either player ends up in Edmonton. Whatever the problems are involving Hall, real or imagined, they should be solvable with a winning team and a good environment. Taylor Hall went through four years of hell and back—I suspect he’d like to be here for the good times. That’s my opinion, anyway.

Taylor_Hall

As for Hall being a drag, it’s always wise to be careful when throwing around opinions about another person who we don’t really know. People may have met the young man when he was not at his best, but that’s not really the same as being a drag on an entire organization. These Hall items were no doubt planted in the moments after the firing for a reason, but I’ve no idea who planted them or why they’re so strong. It’s always best to take the word of the people involved.

• Taylor Hall: “I got drafted by the Oilers and I love the franchise, I love the city. Standing here, having a new coach again, really makes you look in the mirror and wonder what you’ve done wrong.” Source

I will leave you with one more thought on the matter: Losing teams ALWAYS focus on the wrong thing. Always. They just can’t help it. This scenario reminds me of the time the Montreal Expos slipped in the standings and decided the problem was their All-Star catcher Gary Carter. Carter was a unique player (power-hitting catcher who could actually catch) and the Expos dealt him to the Mets for four guys you’ve never heard of, before or since.

Losing organizations do supremely stupid things. In this way, the Taylor Hall trade rumors are less about Taylor Hall and more about the Edmonton Oilers. If you’re worried about a Taylor Hall trade, be worried about the organization entrusted with putting a good team on the ice. They are the same people who felt it was a good idea to start the season with two NHL centers and mud.

That my friends is the worry. Simple, beautiful competence. There was a time when the Montreal Expos looked at their entire roster and decided the problem was their most uniquely-talented player. Don’t tell me it’s impossible, I’ve seen it before.

The one reason you should feel confident it won’t happen? The Edmonton Oilers are an absolute laughingstock league-wide. If they trade Hall, they won’t get full value. If they don’t get full value, those $7 Stubhub Oilers tickets are going to be going for $3 or less.

The Edmonton Oilers would be better off keeping Hall and trading management. It has come to this.

margret5

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Today at 10, once again a very fluid show. Sceduled to appear:

• Live coverage of the Dallas Eakins media avail.
  • Jonathan Willis, Oilers Nation and Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk about the coaching change and what else may come. Jon also has a lot of great information about Todd Nelson, so we’ll discuss the new coach.
  • Jeff Chapman, Copper and Blue. Jeff has a unique take on things and I’m looking forward to finding out what he thinks of the moves this week.
  • Dennis King, Oilogosphere Icon. We were cut short yesterday and I want to pick his brain about this Hall thing.
  • Calls and texts from you. About 11:25 I’m hoping to open the phone lines. Our show gets really good callers, so feel free to join the fun. I won’t cut you off or anything!

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. See you on the radio!

575 Responses to "OILERS AT COYOTES G32, 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. RexLibris says:

Rangers up 4-0 with 13 shots on Karri Ramo.

#Regression

2. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Bag of Pucks: No way n hell he’s not watching this game. Wouldn’t you?

It’s like running into your old girlfriend with her new man. You don’t want to talk to him, but you have to, and when you do, you’re hoping like hell he’s a humourless dweeb with a crappy job.

Yup, have to agree with this. He said he told MacT he’d be available at any time to help and he’d stay in the city until he finds his next opportunity.

P.S.- Lordy, Tarasenko- what a sniper. He got picked in my draft one pick before me in the 5th round 🙁
    Had I got him instead of Granlund, (the Minny one), whom I took, I’d be leading my league.

Bag of Pucks: No way n hell he’s not watching this game. Wouldn’t you?

No. I wouldn’t. I’d maybe PVR it but getting some distance is important.

4. G Money says:

They should create a new category of score effects, called “Oiler effects”. That’s where you go into a defensive shell when you’re up 1-0 with most of the game to play.

I suspect this team’s Jultzing ways will try Nelson’s patience pretty soon…

5. flyfish1168 says:

six in a row yaaaah baby
    You can put it in the loss column

6. hodgkins says:

Bag of Pucks,

If the movie is on with the kids, you’d hope he’d be in the room with them but I suspect he’s sneaking away to catch the game. Nothing about the past day has taken his connection away from those players.

Must be tough, but at least his family won’t go hungry.

7. G Money says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: I admit I nearly shed a tear when I watched his press conference. He wasn’t the right coach for this team, but he is a good man.

I’m OK with Eakins being let go – no coach should survive this teams record.

But I despise those who (without knowing sweet fuck all about him) cast aspersions on his character, make fun of his appearance, etc. Pathetic.

8. judgedrude says:

Woodguy: Ty Cobb thinks Williams and Jordan are cute little wannabes.

From a dark corner of the room, Stan Weir sneers at those who use the words cute and little.

9. John Chambers says:

G Money,

It’s part of their endemic lack of confidence. They don’t feel they deserve a lead and therefore don’t know how to play with one.

Probably a worse plague on the team than lack of talent or coaching tactics.

Like, how pumped up do you think the Oilers dressing room feels prior to a game against LA?

10. GCW_69 says:

Oilers are reeling.

11. Pouzar says:

Well this period has sucked ass. I shoulda stayed away.

12. G Money says:

John Chambers: hey don’t feel they deserve a lead and therefore don’t know how to play with one.

Perhaps just lack of experience, no?

Although in fairness, it seems to me that Bettman Favoured American Team Officiating Standards have been put into full effect.

13. Ryan says:

Some of you may notice posts of yours have been deleted/altered. We had a respect issue and I’m cleaning up most of it. Thanks so much, no one has been banned.

Thanks. I haven’t been banned whoot!

14. magisterrex says:

G Money: I’m OK with Eakins being let go – no coach should survive this teams record.

But I despise those who (without knowing sweet fuck all about him) cast aspersions on his character, make fun of his appearance, etc.Pathetic.

100% agree.

Looking forward to less personal MacT attacks, too.

15. TemujinBC says:

THAT”S the Ben Scrivens we all know and love.

16. Captain's Log says:

All 4 Oilers on one side of the ice on the PK. Multiple times.

If they really want the D to commit hard on the half wall then the weak side forward needs to drop much lower

17. Zelepukin says:

Jultzing in full effect this game.

18. GCW_69 says:

Shots 19-5 Coyotes so far this period.

19. Bag of Pucks says:

Incidentally, if Brad Hunt’s first name was Mike, he’d instantly become my favorite player on these broadcasts.

20. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Oilers making the Coyotes look like the Black Hawks.

Scrivens is the only reason why it’s not out of reach already.

21. TemujinBC says:

Ference bailed out by Scrivens.

Oh Captain my Captain

22. BARREN BREGER says:

A very good source of mine told me that Oilers management seriously thought about just switching Eakins and Nelson positions to see if the problem was coaching or players in Edmonton. Apparently Messier talked them out of it on advise from his old pal Glen Sather. Rumblings that Messier pushing hard to be the head coach next year, quote ” I still have a good grip and would love to grab these little pukes by the throat and teach them what it means to be an Oiler”.

23. Ryan says:

TemujinBC:
    Ference bailed out by Scrivens.

Oh Captain my Captain

O Captain! My Captain! our fearful trip is done;
    The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won;
    The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
    While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:

BARREN BREGER:

Lotta former NHL players want these young Oilers boiled in acid.

25. Bag of Pucks says:

Tobias ‘Easy’ Reider

26. Zelepukin says:

Jultz inability to win any puck battles or break out our zone, probably wastes about 80% of our top line’s shifts.

27. G Money says:

TemujinBC:
    Ference bailed out by Scrivens.

Oh Captain my Captain

28. hags9k says:

Zelepukin,

I am in the camp that says the most pressing roster need on this team is a #1D. Above a center or a goalie on my wish list.

Godspeed Darnell, no pressure.

29. Captain's Log says:

Schultz broke that up and then proceeded to give the puck away. Saved by the buzzer.

30. PhrankLee says:

Wow. Scrivy.

31. jp says:

So the Coyotes are the 2nd worst team in the conference….

32. danny says:

Shots 26-5 in the 2nd period. Wow.

The Corgis need to be euthanized 🙁

33. Captain's Log says:

Who is this guy in the grey suit? Did he really just give Gazdic a pass on that?

34. danny says:

To think I was worried the coaching change might McScrew us.

Gazdic is no Stortini as a hockey player.

36. Derek says:

Schultz and Hunt gotta be approaching 5% Fenwick for on the night.

37. The Full Nelson says:

Lowetide: boiled in acid.

Do you really have to boil the acid? I mean, like – exactly how cruel do you have to be? I think just the acid would really be sufficient to cause immense suffering, if there’s ever a concern…

But after Messier’s hiring as HC, we’ll need to boil that shit!

38. danny says:

Does anyone happen to know any models of cars that have a 5×120 bolt pattern?

39. TemujinBC says:

G Money,

The MacT face will never get old

40. hags9k says:

Cmon Oil, rally time in the 3rd, let’s win one for the Gipper.

41. Bag of Pucks says:

I realize now that Kassian wasn’ t trying to break Gagner’s jaw with that stick to the face.

He was probably just as annoyed as I am by the sight of that frickin’ dangling mouth guard and was helping him to insert it correctly.

42. PaperDesigner says:

I think this team now believes they are as bad as the standings say.

There is no way that the team that was putting up the numbers we saw earlier in the season should be getting this badly outgunned by the Ari-friggin’-zona Coyotes!

43. PaperDesigner says:

Have they simply had their spirit broken? Have they collectively become clinically depressed? I’m searching for a rational explanation, and frankly, this seems to defy any.

44. G Money says:

Derek:
    Schultz and Hunt gotta be approaching 5% Fenwick for on the night.

EV Corsi:

Drai, Yak, Gazdic, Eberle, all about 20% give or take.
    RNH, Hall at 35%.
    Hunt, Schultz at 38% give or take.
    Only Davidson (?), Fayne, and Perron over 50%.

It’s a team [lack of] effort.

45. stush18 says:

Couple things to comment on today

First oiler game ive been able to watch in a lomgtime. Do the players look tired? When you watch there strides, they start cheating pretty early and you can see the improper mechanics start to come out, which actually makes everything worse. Hall, nuge ference drai pitlick and perron all seem slow and cheating there akating styles to my eyes.

Could be early, but are we seeing the results of schwarz working with scrivs. The announcer mentioned he is tracking with his head first, something i believe was mentioned that schwarz works on.

Gazdic cant handle the puck. Love him but he cant handle the puck, and hes not really playing an “energy” game.

Drai needs to be sent down. Hes too slow and is getting exposed.

Mact put hall in between perron and ebs?

I dont know whether or not its by design but the oilers seem to overload whatever lane the puck is in. I dont know if thats coaching or young players, but that seems folly to me.

I am only 21, part of the younger generation. I agree, a lot of kids my age are soft and spoiled. Ive grown up watching it. Everyone complains about everything. The worst part is being lumped in with the generalizations of everyone else tho. I may be young, but i still enjoy my firewood stovetop oatmeal for breakfast before i walk uphill both ways to work.

46. danny says:

That guy in the Rogers commercial that says “The ref was in the perfect position to see it!” Has such a shitty and smug tone. Messier should have pulled that jersey over his head and gave him the business.

47. The Full Nelson says:

danny:
    Does anyone happen to know any models of cars that have a 5×120 bolt pattern?

You going out looking for new tires?

48. Ryan says:

Good gord, I don’t watch this shit show anymore.. But shots of 27-5 in one period vs the Yotes? Goodbye Corgi’s

49. oliveoilers says:

TemujinBC:
    G Money,

The MacT face will never get old

In millennia, when the sun goes dark and nobody can see, somebody will ask “who is this MacT? What did he look like, describe him!” And an old wise man will reply “imagine if WTF had a face….Like that. Perpetually.”

50. dessert1111 says:

I’m still catching up on this thread but I wanted to chime in on the very interesting discussion about millenial motivation.

I am 25 living in Victoria. I too have noticed a lack of motivation/ work ethic in my generation. I think there are several contributing factors:

– With hyper-access to information, our attention spans have shriveled. There are so many things competing for attention which in itself can be exhausting

– We grew up relatively privileged, but with the worsening economy our adult lives have not been as easy as anticipated – we largely expected to find steady, comfortable work in a field we like, and that simply is not a really for most people. Alberta might be an exception, I’m not sure. I have a Masters degree and work at a restaurant, for example, and it’s not from lack of qualifications or trying

– I think regional effects are very real. Southern Ontario doesn’t have quite the same mentality as this island, I don’t think

I know some of this has been mentioned, but I just wanted to chime in with my perspective. To sum up, I think a decreased motivation is accurate for the millennial generation, but it’s a complicated and multi faceted issue that compounds with economics and technology, both of which have been in tumultuous flux over our development.

51. "Frank The Dog" says:

magisterrex: 100% agree.

Looking forward to less personal MacT attacks, too.

This would be an even better blog without any attacks on anyone’s character. That still leaves lots of room for derogatory comments. 🙂

52. G Money says:

danny,

Check out the running Corsi chart on war-on-ice.com.

Pretty much dead even for the first 21 minutes.

Then a PP for the Coyotes, and after that the Dogs absolutely run away with it. Almost comical. The last five minutes of the period, the Oilers didn’t have a single event in their favour.

53. oliveoilers says:

Ryan:

Fire the coach!

54. G Money says:

The Full Nelson: You going out looking for new tires?

Not only did I feel compelled to click on the link, but for some reason I’m now mildly disappointed that none of my cars is on the list.

55. anonymous says:

This is the equivalent of the principal coming in to get the class settled for the supply teacher. As much as I disliked Eakins, it would have been preferable to just have Ramsey or another veteran coach finish the season before hopefully cleaning house.

I get that cronyism is prevalent in most organizations but this is a whole new level.

56. danny says:

The Full Nelson: You going out looking for new tires?

Trying to find winter steelies for my car, and nobody local is carrying that bolt pattern. Was the Ning I might check dealerships if any other brand carried the same pattern. According to that chart I might be able to get them at the Cadillac dealership. My dealer is all out and it’s 2 weeks from everywhere.

57. hags9k says:

“It’s not how hahd ya hit. It’s how hard ya can get hit and keep movin fohwahd. That’s how winnin is done!”

If there was ever a concern.

58. Bag of Pucks says:

dessert1111:

I know some of this has been mentioned, but I just wanted to chime in with my perspective. To sum up,I think a decreased motivation is accurate for the millennial generation, but it’s a complicated and multi faceted issue that compounds with economics and technology, both of which have been in tumultuous flux over our development.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the post. Good luck on finding work pertinent to your degree. Persistence will pay off eventually!

Boil the acid.

60. Ryan says:

anonymous:

I get that cronyism is prevalentin most organizations but this is a whole new level.

You can only imagine my consternation here… Nelson manages a decent effort this year and he grabs the position from a more qualified applicant next season. That would be a perfect #becauseoilers.

61. cmcousine says:

Did I just see two shifts in a row in AZ side of the ice? I must be seeing things…

62. cmcousine says:

Jultz has a WIDE OPEN point man and he sends it sharp angle into a gaggle of players. Sheesh.

63. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Oilers with a lot of shots directed at the net but tons of misses and blocks. Would be nice to see a few actual saves.

64. Pouzar says:

Seen enough of Pinno/Gazdic. Please recall Lander/Hero.
    Ditto for MM.

65. anonymous says:

Ryan: You can only imagine my consternation here…Nelson manages a decent effort this year and he grabs the position from a more qualified applicant next season. That would be a perfect #becauseoilers.

Mact can’t win here, if they do turn it around he looks incompetent for sticking it out with a bad coach for so long.

66. "Frank The Dog" says:

If Nelson turns this group around he deserves the HC position in a positive way.

67. G Money says:

Ryan: Nelson manages a decent effort this year and he grabs the position from a more qualified applicant next season.

If Nelson can turn this thing around inside of one season, he deserves the opportunity next year.

68. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

So Hunt has a better shot than Yak, apparently.

69. G Money says:

Damn you Frank the Dog! Your character stinks! You look bad!

70. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Nothing like seeing a 4th liner ice it instead of taking one more stride.

Edit- and then take a friggin holding penalty afterwards. Oy vey.

71. danny says:

Gags took a shot at Hendricks as he was leaving the ice. Might see the quick turtle drop the mitts before it’s over.

72. G Money says:

Bettman American Team Officiating Standards in operation once more.

Refs were getting worried the Oilers might actually win this and put their bonuses at risk.

Steve Pinizzotto takes a penalty but he’s a big part of the future, so…

74. TemujinBC says:

Pouzar:
    Seen enough of Pinno/Gazdic. Please recall Lander/Hero.
    Ditto for MM.

Wellp, ya don’t have to see Pinno for two minutes (or less)

75. pocession charge says:

Pouzar:
    Seen enough of Pinno/Gazdic. Please recall Lander/Hero.
    Ditto for MM.

Part of my post game comments from last Friday’s game that I attended: The Oilers 4th line does not provide any tangible contribution to the team. What does the coaching and management see that we don’t?

Tyler Pitlick is having a solid night.

77. cmcousine says:

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m kinda liking Pitlick.
    *edit* glad to see LT agrees!

78. danny says:

When EDM gets a little offensive zone time it feels like a big deal. Kevin Quinn thinks so too.

79. G Money says:

Definitely seeing him good tonight. Only -1 on EV Corsi after two periods, which is not only impressive considering that the team is being outCorsi’d 2:1, but his CF of 9 means he’s been on for basically half the team’s shot attempts.

80. pocession charge says:

danny:

Gags has already lost enough teeth.

81. hags9k says:

Nice to see someone hit.

82. cmcousine says:

I’m thinking they’re liking Hall for the side shot.

83. danny says:

It doesnt feel like a Coyotes game without Woodguys Hanzal comment.

84. TemujinBC says:

Holy snappers Drai with a nice dangle there.

He really is gonna be a player.

85. stush18 says:

Hall and ebs ive seen this game both get mad at players. Hall at hendricks, ebs and yak.

Yak has got those quick russian hands, but he seems like hea never skating. Id hate for us to give up on him, but i dont know how we unleash him. I feel like there is a dynamic goal scorer, but i dont know how to break him out.

Also i have no idea where to put hall on the powerplay.

86. Colieo87 says:

4 shots on goal for the power play of twice Holy fudging fugical

87. oliveoilers says:

Bless the Yotes colour guy, calling penalties without prejudice!

88. Pouzar says:

Tyler Pitlick is having a solid night.

Yes he is. There is 3-4 like him in OKC that could help right now.
    I’d rather Ewanyk playing than half this team right now.

89. G Money says:

Hall needs to shoot quicker at that point. His delay gave Dubie a chance to get set up.

I watched the PP again. Watch from 1:19-1:12 – seven full seconds where Hall has the puck and does nothing but stickhandle a bit against the boards. Zero movement. That’s a full 5% of the penalty wasted.

Seven seconds on the powerplay set up with full possession in the zone should be what – two, maybe three passes?

90. GCW_69 says:

If Davidson survives tonight playing with Fayne the kid deserves a star. That’s a rough pace to toss a rookie, especially a late round pick.

91. Pouzar says:

“Yeah MacT………it’s called a timeout……..”

“Oh yeah?!?!?!”

92. "Frank The Ugly Smelly Dog" says:

Not playing like a team that’s given up.

93. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Yak needs to shoot more. Goalies can’t handle it well. At least rebounds occur.

94. PaperDesigner says:

Yakupov could be a really good player if you could teach him how to think the game of hockey.

He’s made some smart plays, this game, though.

95. Pouzar says:

Man if this team doesn’t call up Lander soon I am gonna loose my sh!t

96. PaperDesigner says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Yak needs to shoot more. Goalies can’t handle it well. At least rebounds occur.

I think part of the problem is that he only hears one thing at a time. Remember when the criticism was that he didn’t share the puck enough? He just starting passing the puck all the time. Then he was criticized for not shooting, since he was drafted as a goal-scorer? I seem to remember he suddenly had a game with ten shots.

It’s like he doesn’t make any subtle changes, only radical ones.

Someone needs to tell him that he needs a game that involves him keeping his legs moving, shooting, distributing the puck and playing a defensively responsible game. He can’t just pick one, and neglect everything else.

97. "Frank The Ugly Smelly Dog" says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Yak needs to shoot more. Goalies can’t handle it well. At least rebounds occur.

Tatars don’t make good androids.

98. flyfish1168 says:

ok I was over zealous earlier

six in a row yaaaah baby
    You can put it in the loss column

NYR 5 phlegms -2

99. PaperDesigner says:

Pouzar:
    Man if this team doesn’t call up Lander soon I am gonna loose my sh!t

I think Hendricks centering Gazdic and Pinnizoto plays an important role on this team. Namely, they help our chances at McDavid.

100. Ice Sage says:

OK. OT. this is where we see if these coach guys can not be caught in the headlights. Petry Fayne Hall Nuge to start ?

101. Bag of Pucks says:

Remember Teddy Purcell’s first game when looked like he might be a solid acquisition?

Small sample size….

102. cmcousine says:

Seriously, what’s wrong with trying Jultz on the wing? Kid can dangle, he just can’t play defense.

103. stush18 says:

SCCCHHHULLLTZZ

Wow. Love it.

104. Zelepukin says:

Ference, aka meat hands.

105. PaperDesigner says:

cmcousine:

If they didn’t have a dire shortage of defenceman, they might actually give that a try.

That was almost a gorgeous goal by Schultz.

107. G Money says:

That Chipchura looks like a useful and versatile player. Why can’t the Oilers acquire guys like that?

108. YEG FOLK says:

lance: I hear Russia is only accepting physical gold as payment for oil, coal, and gas.In the third quarter of this year, they apparently amassed more physical gold then all other nations combined (including China.)

petrodollar = shitcoin.

Weird thread today. This nugget caught my attention. Remember Warren Buffet talking about his distaste for gold as an investment:

If you molded all the gold in the world into a cube, Buffett says, it would be about 68-feet per side. This is four feet shorter (and considerably wider) than a tennis court. As Buffett observes, it would fit comfortably in the middle of a baseball infield. The value of all that gold at today’s prices, Buffett observes, would be about $10 trillion.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/buffett-on-gold-2012-2#ixzz3M7sq9wmh

Oil related, is it just me or does it see that there has been more conversation amongst the coaching staff and with players on the bench tonight, then the whole Eakins era combined?

109. G Money says:

Zelepukin:
    Ference, aka meat hands.

Meat head. Meat hands.

Ference personifies regression to the meat.

Andrew Ference is simply awful here in OT. LH side really low ebb right now.

111. Pouzar says:

Ference is more useless 4 on 4 if that’s even possible.

112. PaperDesigner says:

That was almost a gorgeous goal by Schultz.

And Schultz is almost a defenceman. Zing!

113. "Frank The Ugly Smelly Dog" says:

YEG FOLK: is it just me or does it see that there has been more conversation amongst the coaching staff and with players on the bench tonight, then the whole Eakins era combined?

Coaches definetly seem a lot more engaged than Dallas was. Completely different styles.

114. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Oh Oilers… ha ha ha. Too perfect.

115. delooper says:

Ouch. 0.3 s

116. G Money says:

0.3 seconds left.

MacT face!
    MacT face!

117. "Frank The Ugly Smelly Dog" says:

0.3 of a gord dam fucking second. 3 freaking tenths.

118. Pouzar says:

Man what have we done to deserve this. Wow.

119. Ice Sage says:

LOL OEL

What a classic!

Good game. Didn’t like their chances in any shootout.
    Baby steps – how the coaches help the lads learn from this is the key.

120. PaperDesigner says:

Well… they lasted longer than they usually did.

121. LostBoy says:

I’m not sure what this team deserved.

But it didn’t deserve that.

122. TemujinBC says:

Scrivens has faced his share of blame and criticism this season but if he ever earned a W, that was the game.

Not sure he could have played that one any better, he was in good position, above the blue paint. Just a perfect shot.

123. Pouzar says:

But HFOil said OEL has been terrible this year………wtf?

124. flyfish1168 says:

That was almost a gorgeous goal by Schultz.

I hope MacT doesn’t fall in love and remember this one schultz play. schultz will never be as good as OEL

125. Zelepukin says:

I’m sure Yaks, Drai and Perron were sitting on the bench thinking, ya clearly the two AHLers of Pits and Arco are going to be a good use of time.

126. striatic says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAAAA!

oh man .. wow .. the hilarity.

127. frjohnk says:

Tough way to lose.

Noticed no Draisaitl or yak in OT.

128. G Money says:

How many good games from Scrivens and Fasth before we declare Chabot to have been a big part of the problem?

129. PaperDesigner says:

frjohnk:
    Tough way to lose.

Noticed no Draisaitl or yak in OT.

130. "Frank The Ugly Smelly Dog" says:

MacT and Todd get some slack here. This was the last of the Dallas coached games, and this was one of the closest losses ever. Not sure when a win will come though.
    #GoodGameBen

131. PaperDesigner says:

G Money:

But it certainly doesn’t reflect well on him that they start to turn it around after he is fired.

132. "Frank The Ugly Smelly Dog" says:

G Money:

I’ve seen enough to believe that.

133. Zelepukin says:

I didn’t think it was possible but somehow Hunt has mastered the impersonation of Marc Andre Bergeron. Right down to the bone-head giveaways. He just needs to attempt a couple hip checks and MacT will lock in his roster spot for the rest of the year.

134. Zangetsu says:

Nice to see something other than that dtupid face after the goal.

135. G Money says:

As much as I’d like to blame someone for that goal, it was mostly bad luck set up by Eberle falling over at the Arz blue line.

That set up a momentary three on four, and the Oilers were actually in the right position until the point where Nugey’s man was covered by Hunt, at which point Nuge was just too far over to cover the trailer (OEL).

Unfortunately, that’s often how goals are scored in the NHL.

136. Derek says:

You can’t ice a 6 man defence in the NHL that includes 3 of Ference, Schultz and Hunt and win a hockey game. The best you can probably do is give up 45 shots to the second worst team in the West and grab a loser point.

137. flyfish1168 says:

Zelepukin:

138. YEG FOLK says:

Tough finish for Scrivens, needs to make the save. But good lord this team needs to score more than one goal a game and give these gaolers just a bit of run support.

139. striatic says:

There’s a kind of genius in the way the Oilers manage to lose hockey games.

Something truly sublime.

140. G Money says:

PaperDesigner: Eh… this is the hard part of not being able to see coaches actually perform their job. It’s entirely possible that this is coincidence, and their poor start had nothing to do with them.

I recognize that, but often that’s all we have to go on. By the time the game starts, the coaching (apart from deployment) is already done.

That said, (and I know that I’m the farthest thing from a goalie expert), to my eyes Scrivens wasn’t just on his game, but he seemed technically sounder.

That could just be adjusting my impressions to fit my theory, but that’s why I asked – if both goalies suddenly consistently play better and also appear to be technically more sound, how long before the supportably logical explanation is Chabot?

141. oliveoilers says:

YEG FOLK:

Is somebody in jail?

142. jzed says:

I’m sorry, but I’m heart sick at yet another, “Eberle has to keep that puck wide, hit him, pin, oh no , not another fall down and flail at the puck as it heads toward our net” moment. A sad, wimpy play that screws over our under seige goalie who kept us in this freaking game. I’m done , see you all next year.

143. Colieo87 says:

I’m sorry but I got a good laugh at the comment after a few here posted 0.03 seconds left. Like wow I knew the team was going not win tonight but after seeing Ben try bring a goalie I wanted him to. Sad luck or state of affairs for this team.

144. Ice Sage says:

oliveoilers: Is somebody in jail?

#freetaylor

145. Zelepukin says:

Derek:
    You can’t ice a 6 man defence in the NHL that includes 3 of Ference, Schultz and Hunt and win a hockey game.The best you can probably do is give up 45 shots to the second worst team in the West and grab a loser point.

lol, so true.

We did have a real PP where we magically carried the puck into the zone without any drop passes! #oilerspositives

146. OilLeak says:

flyfish1168: Yak should be getting about 18 minutes a night. An article a few weeks back with numbers saying he gets better with ice time. Yak also gets the least ice time of all 1st overalls.

Sorry I can’t agree with that, Yak and Drai were amongst the worst players on the ice tonight. Arco, Pitlick, Perron had the toughest zone-starts and the best results on the night from a possession stand point.

147. Bag of Pucks says:

Looking for a positive, the team is going to need stellar goaltending if they’re going to turn this thing around. They got that tonight.

Don’t understand killing Nuge’s line with Purcell. I’d move Perron there. Arco’ line is useless anyway.

This is a two line team until Pouliot and Gordon get back.

Oh yeah, and Pakarinnen in for Gazdic. Or maybe Curtis Hamilton for a game or two?

148. stevezie says:

That was almost a gorgeous goal by Schultz.

Schultz has some moves. I am still glad we signed him and still have some hope for him to be something good (though never a norris winner, obviously).

I am constantly amused by the near universal hatred of Schultz and defense of Yak when they are so similar. Both have tantalizing tools that should add up to a great hockey player, but don’t. Or at least haven’t yet. The biggest difference is usage.

It’s not Jultze’s fault someone made him the team’s number 1 d-man. Usage makes Yak easy to cheer for (play him more!) and Justz easy to hate (play him less!), when they are in almost the exact same position.

The other difference, of course, is enthusiasm. Yak looks like a kid out there, how can you not love Yak? Did anyone else hear Jeff Marek reference Yak ignoring the coach and ditching a bag skate? I don’t remember hearing about this.

149. McSorley33 says:

Weird glitch at NHL.COM says Coyotes registered 27?shots in the 2nd period…..

150. Frank The Dog says:

The big tell starts with seeing the coaches’ reaction to this loss. Who gets sat, who comes up, who goes down, how the next set of lines look.

But we can’t pin this lesson on MacTellie

151. russ99 says:

I really hope this was one last game with Eakins lines and systems so MacT and Nelson can see how broken things really are.

Cause we saw an awful lot of the same old, same old, especially on offense.

Hopefully MacT and Nelson can start to institute changes soon.

I think if I see Hall and Eberle stuck in the corners making the safe play behind the net to keep posession one more time I’m going to vomit. What a waste of their talents.

Even Omark could get the puck to the crease from the wall, just saying.

152. frjohnk says:

G Money:

The thing is that Fasth and Scrivens have both put up really good numbers in other places and they also did fairly well here at the end of last year.

So do we blame the shitty save % on the goalie environment?
    Goaltending coach?
    The goalies themselves?
    Bad luck?

153. Alpine says:

Bag of Pucks,

And iff you’re looking for “toughness”, Moroz could probably step in and be more useful than Gazdic. Hell, even Kale Kessy could.

Alpine:
    Bag of Pucks,

Kessy out for the season.

155. Genjutsu says:

Lowetide: Kessy out for the season.

Perfect

156. AZOIL says:

So Nelson was always with the forwards behind the bench too. When it was second period he was at the other end talking with them and encouraging them etc. Trying to spark something I guess. MacT was pretty quiet and mostly observed.

Pissed they scored with only .3 left. Ah well, on to the next.

157. SwedishPoster says:

In another league Anton Lander had another 2 point night as OKC wins 4-1, a goal and an assist for Lander. But I’m sure Gazdic and Pinnizotto put so much fear into the other team by maybe dropping the gloves and punching one of the other teams tough guys every fifth game it’s well worth it. One thing is for certain, Lander wouldn’t have missed picking up McMillan on the 1-1 goal.

The team looked focused if far from great in the first, completely broke down in the second and did ok getting back in the game in the third and OT.
    They make less stupid defensive mistakes but are complete rubbish offensively, very rarely gets anything going. The first line just isn’t working, Hall and Nuge are not clicking at all this season. The Drai line didn’t get anything good out of any of its players individually and were full disjointed as a group. The Arco line at least had some shifts where they put some pressure but lacked the individual skill to create at a consistent basis. The fourth line is the tank line, useless unless they get a shift to dig at the walls but even then they have no skill to actually create something real.
    The Fayne-Davidson pairing was the best by far, Davidson looks like he could end up a real solid defensive defenseman, just goes about his business calmly. Hunt-Schultz looked ok when they got some offensive time, godawful everywhere else, Hunt looked good on the PP. Ference-Petry was all kinds of bad for the most part, Petry with a couple of dumb penalties, Ference with just terrible puck management.

Scrivens awesome.

Todd Nelson certainly has his work cut out for him. The first thing he needs to do is get the right players up to the NHL. The second is to put together some working forward lines because right now none of them are clicking.

158. cabbiesmacker says:

Bag of Pucks:

Somebody should go all Franzen on him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfQghQ6_1Qg

159. cabbiesmacker says:

danny:
    Shots 26-5 in the 2nd period. Wow.

The Corgis need to be euthanized

Unleash the squirrels.

160. bill needle says:

Fire the coach.

161. Capitalist says:

BlacqueJacque: The Great Depression was the symptom of the same disease we’re suffering from now – runaway unrestricted capitalism.

Puh-lease, comrade. Union hall is down the street and one block to your Left. Capitalism has resulted in the people of the Western world being the most materially secure in the history of this 6-billion-year-old planet. You make the choice to work 14 days x 12 hours a day. I work 180 straight days in the summer – for and by myself – then spend half the winter in Victoria and the other half in US America. I’ll never be rich, but I’m better off than just about anybody who was ever born or died before me.
    Choices, man. We all make ‘em. Stop whining. And learn some economics.

162. PhrankLee says:

Lowetide: Andrew Ference is simply awful here in OT

And this guy is twice the player he was last year. That really hurts.

I cannot believe he plays this badly being the imported captain.

For me it simply proves that the assessment committee is drunk most of the time. I was hoping for him to be, at best, a non-factor.

Denied!!

163. PhrankLee says:

frjohnk: So do we blame the shitty save % on the goalie environment?

I believe it has something to do with allowing chances you don’t get after pee wee in the NHL.

That and the fact that both goalies are simply not good enough. Thinking they would be is at best, optimistic and at worse hubris.

No other team in the NHL was after either of them to be the #1 goalie.

The decision makers better be saddled with restrictions we are unaware of. Because through the entire line up over the last 8 years we have more than our share of….”Try him out..maybe he will blossom.”

Which is fine as long as they are changed out if they cannot make a difference.

164. jp says:

PaperDesigner: We can’t have defensively irresponsible players on the ice in OT! We need shutdown stalwarts only, such as Brad Hunt and Justin Schultz!

So I guess we can safely conclude the Hunt-Schultz riverboat experiment was not an Eakins brainchild.

165. jp says:

Derek:

Your theory will get ample testing over the next month or so.

166. RicaGreaser says:

Dave Tippett: Good morning Dubie…I hear MacTavish is behind the bench tonight. I think I’m going to start Smitty since MacT thinks you are the shittiest goaler ever.

Devan Dubnyk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr3sBks5o_8

Dave Tippett: Point well made. Start’s yours.

Oklahoma City Barons @okcbarons · 2h 2 hours ago
    The @EdmontonOilers have reassigned goaltender Tyler Bunz to the #OKCBarons from the @Wichita_Thunder.

Edit:

Bachman hurt last night and Bakersfield is in Alaska so Bunz was the closest goalie under contract.

h/t to Patricia Teter @Artful_Puck for the info

She’s a good follow for all things OKC and hockey in general

168. PhrankLee says:

Nice short shifts last night. Nice PK as well. The Arizona PP is very good.

169. jp says:

Woodguy:
    Oklahoma City Barons @okcbarons·2h 2 hours ago

Edit:

h/t to Patricia Teter @Artful_Puck for the info

She’s a good follow for all things OKC and hockey in general

170. Ca$h-Money! says:

jp: Bakersfield is in California, but you’re right that Wichita is much closer to OKC. The Barons don’t play until Thursday though. Maybe they want a 2nd goalie for practice? Maybe they’re rotating AHL call-ups? Bunz and Tuohimaa are both having decent but not great seasons, not much to choose between their stats: http://echl.com/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_goalies. This is surely last chance Texaco for Bunz and the Oilers.

No, no.

The Bakersfield Condors Hockey team is currently in Alaska playing hockey in Alaska.

Ca$h-Money!: I think he meant that the Bakersfield Condors are playing the Alaska Aces tonight.

173. jp says:

Woodguy: No, no.

Oops!

the people train don’t run through Wichita. People train runs through Stubbville.

175. v4ance says:

Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud
    KHL bosses meeting right now. Discussing an across-the-board salary cut, limiting the number of foreign players. So, the fairy tale ends…

KHL players may have to give up 50% of their salaries as the league is contemplating the financial crisis response. And so it goes…

Meanwhile, RUS’s soccer league (which, by FIFA laws, must pay its foreigners in Euros and USD) is facing mass fire sales by ALL teams.

Recap: It sounds like the KHL will try to hold onto stars like Kovalchuk and Radulov with “under the table” payments. For everyone else, the prospect of “stable” AHL/NHL jobs and paychecks will be too overwhelming, especially since there will be a limit on foreign roster players. An exodus to match the 1990s fall of the iron curtain, will start next year. Teams should be able to pick up one or two good depth players for the NHL and the AHL should be overflowing with increased levels of competition as the “Brandon Bochenski’s” of the world, cross the pond back to N. America.

(edited for update on salary cuts and FIFA info)

« Older Comments