STARS AT OILERS, G34 2014-15

How many players do the Oilers need to contend? What position do they play? If the Oilers could wave their magic wand and add Sergei Bobrovsky, Niklas Hjalmarsson and Martin Hanzal, are they suddenly a contending team? Is that enough? I don’t think the team is so far away that Craig MacTavish should consider a massive overhaul but that’s very possible in 2015 (Jan-July).

TSN ANALYTICS

TSN ANALYTICS

As you can see the story improved this season (I have no idea how much Dellow’s input impacted these numbers and am biased, so will mention that he started working with Eakins in time for fall 2014). These are good arrows ladies, and with good goaltending and a power play that worked, things might have worked out better. I’m not saying this is a great club, but as with Tom Renney the Edmonton Oilers appear to have cut bait with a coach heading in a good direction. There is NO guarantee Todd Nelson will adopt the policies of Dallas Eakins but there is evidence he should take entire parts of the train and use it as his own.

O'Connor

• Elliotte Friedman: There’s a teammate of [Jack Eichel] by the name of Matt O’Connor. He’s a goaltender, 6-foot-6, he’s going to be 23 in February, he has a 1.67 goals-against average. O’Connor is going to be a free agent after this year. There’s a lot of interest especially by Canadian teams. Toronto met briefly with him earlier today. Craig MacTavish met with him briefly after a game a couple of weeks ago and it’s expected Oilers will meet with him further. O’Connor is going to have a lot of interest, Vancouver and Ottawa also among those teams taking a look. Source

rishaug hall

• Elliotte Friedman: Taylor Hall? Craig MacTavish has been trying to make trades for almost two years. Can something as complex as a Hall deal really get done now? Part of me wonders if Hall’s name is out there to see how he responds. Does he get to a higher level, showing a desire to stay? Lots of other questions, such as: who is making this decision? We know there is a “forensic audit” of the organization being done, with Bob Nicholson playing a major role.

I think trading Taylor Hall is insane. If you’re going to make a Seguin-style deal you lose 10 times out of 10. If you make a blockbuster “Hall for Johansen” trade then it’s probably going to be a premium (L for C) and screw them Hall’s signed for a long time at a great number. I honestly don’t see Edmonton winning a Taylor Hall trade. Unless his knees are spent, this is a major bad idea.

POSSIBLE LINEUPS (FORWARDS)

• Hall—Nuge—Purcell
  • Perron—Gordon—Eberle
  • Yakupov—Lander—Pitlick
  • Hendicks—Arcobello—Pinizzotto

It’s a nice landing spot for Anton Lander, that could be an effective line. The young Swede is also getting power-play time (based on practice) so this last chance Texaco with the Oilers looks like a real jump to the pump. Good for him. I’ve always believed five years is a must when it comes to prospects and in Lander’s case an extra year was required because the organization handled him so badly in year one. I’m not convinced he’ll be a power-play stud, but he’s familiar with Nelson’s system and that’s a very big item as he tries to gain NHL traction. I’ll be cheering like hell for him.

LOOKING FORWARD

I’m noticing lots of verbal about the transition to Todd Nelson paying immediate dividends. “They’re driving to the net with authority” and “Justin Schultz looks like a free man” are being shouted but the evidence suggests (to me) we’re seeing things in a way that has the script written and the mind searches for visual evidence. I’ll be looking for evidence of Justin Schultz playing well without the puck and will also check to see how many actual chances (and second chances) Edmonton gets this afternoon. Very important to find the evidence and then write the story.

578 Responses to "STARS AT OILERS, G34 2014-15"

« Older Comments

oilleak2014: what about goddamn ference it is all yaks fault again get a grip

I have a firm grip. Comes with age. 🙂

I understand you’re frustrated but Nail is still earning the stripes veterans did many moons ago. I think the penalty might have sunk him tonight but am not sure.

2. flyfish1168 says:

Lindy puts Trevor Daley out there in shoot out because he is defensemen and is a shooter.
    Nail is a shooter but has never seen the shoot out. We are losers because ?

3. Bag of Pucks says:

By my eye, Yak was invisible for most of the game.

Not surprised that Nelson doesn’t reward him with a shot in the shootout.

Yakupov is effective when he’s moving his feet and hard on the puck. Unfortunately he has a ton of shifts where he does neither.

Like the kid and am pulling for him, but we can’t expect an HC who’s got a half season to make his mark to gift opps to players who aren’t getting it done.

Love how Nelson is managing Hall and Schultz so far.

Starting to sour on Scrivens. Appears his puckhandling will always be a significant weakness. Small goalies can’t afford that.

4. LMHF#1 says:

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers·33s 33 seconds ago

#Oilers have assigned forward Anton Lander to the AHL’s @OKCBarons.

G-zus effing Christ…

Tried too hard I guess.

5. hags9k says:

Lowetide: He benched Yakupov. Maybe that’s part of his soluton. Listen, guys, this isn’t going to be pretty.

Breakups rarely are.

6. My Darkest Days says:

fifthcartel:
    Lander sent down already? What?

He didn’t score in the shootout. He blew his chance. #becauseoilers

7. leadfarmer says:

I think Yakupov is behind Scrivens on the shootout shooters list. If that were to happen Scrivens would step on the puck, then fall, and accidentally kick it into his own net.

8. Bag of Pucks says:

flyfish1168:
    Lindy puts Trevor Daley out there in shoot out because he isdefensemen and is a shooter.Nail is a shooter but has never seen the shoot out. We are loser because ?

Think the main reason we’re losers is the Gtending and the team rolling 3 rookie D every night.

Particularly on a night when the team gassed a 3 goal lead.

9. leadfarmer says:

Man I’m glad I went to work when it was 5-2.

Aren’t they just the suckiest bunch of suck that ever sucked.

LMHF#1: But why never have him shoot? He’s never even been a secondary option when he should’ve been top 3 from day 1.

It’s a mystery from here. He’s all neurons firing, you’d think goalies would be driven crazy.

11. G Money says:

Well, see, that’s part of the mystery.

Yak was easily the team’s best forechecker tonight. He created a golden opportunity out of nothing at one point (then bobbled the puck, which is par for a guy with zero confidence).

He also wasn’t much of a defensive liability. He made as many good plays as bad that I could see, and was also one of only two players with an even 5×5 Corsi on the night (everyone else was negative), with Eberle at 37.5% and Perron at 35%.

Jultz gets yelled at, Ference and Hunt were absolutely awful … but Yak gets benched.

I don’t get it.

“We were sitting back on our heels in the second half of the game, and that can’t happen. We need to develop mental toughness.” – Nelson

13. SwedishPoster says:

Lander back down? What the actual fuck? Unless this is some paper pushing I’m losing it.

14. danny says:

Lowetide: Let’s begin by asking ourselves why the coach chose Hendricks. As I understand it, Hendricks has a pretty good shootout record. Why would he choose Lander? The coach knows Lander.

Look, I’d have chosen Yakupov too. However, there’s a new coach in town and he’s going to do things a different way. And it’s also true Nail isn’t forcing the issue.

It makes sense to me that you try to foster that potential as much as possible. I mean I can’t say that’s not what they are trying, but it seems like a weird way to do it by my eye.

It seems like if he flops , the organization are content that it’s not a big deal and they really don’t care too much either way.

G Money: Well, see, that’s part of the mystery.

Yak was easily the team’s best forechecker tonight.He created a golden opportunity out of nothing at one point (then bobbled the puck, which is par for a guy with zero confidence).

He also wasn’t much of a defensive liability.He made as many good plays as bad that I could see, and was also one of only two players with an even 5×5 Corsi on the night (everyone else was negative), with Eberle at 37.5% and Perron at 35%.

I don’t get it.

Penalty is my guess.

danny: This is a pretty straight forward explanation of what’s happening, but the thing I’m left asking is if you have a 1st overall pick that scored a tonne in his rookie year, hit the skids, and become a footnote night after night, should it be completely on hm to climb out of this?

17. G Money says:

LMHF#1: G-zus effing Christ…

Tried too hard I guess.

Holy fuck, are you kidding me?

After Yak, Lander was next at 48.5% 5×5 CF%. Despite being -2 like Yak, he had little to do with the mistakes on the goals against (in one case he got some blame, but as someone pointed out, the ref ran some interference on him), and by eye was involved in way more plus plays than minus plays.

18. G Money says:

Lowetide: Penalty is my guess.

Heh heh, yeah, he should never have held the stick while hitting that guys elbows with his head that many times.

19. oilleak2014 says:

Lowetide: Penalty is my guess.

That makes sense with Yak. I. Agree that 4on4 seemed to turn things for Dallas

20. flyfish1168 says:

G Money: Well, see, that’s part of the mystery.

I don’t get it.

What I need is an explanation on why Anton is sent back to OKC. Arco had a good game but that is far from the norm.

21. danny says:

Lowetide: Well the answer, and you’re not going to like it, is an Eagles song. Already Gone.

Yeah that’s kinda my overall conclusion that I’m getting at. They really seem to have lost any desire or focus to turn Yak into a player. The numbers beg the question if there’s one even there sure, but the skill and pedigree say it’s foolhardy to not even care.

They’re literally drunk off elite draft talent. One casualty no big deal.

22. LMHF#1 says:

G Money: Holy fuck, are you kidding me?

After Yak, Lander was next at 48.5% 5×5 CF%.Despite being -2 like Yak, he had little to do with the mistakes on the goals against (in one case he got some blame, but as someone pointed out, the ref ran some interference on him), and by eye was involved in way more plus plays than minus plays.

Umm…wrong quote?

G Money: Holy fuck, are you kidding me?

I think LMHF is on your side here.

24. hags9k says:

OK fair enough. I wasn’t there in my head yet, was still holding onto hope. But you are right, tonight is strong evidence he is on his way out the door. Great management team this one.

25. danny says:

Does Lander have to pass through waivers ?

26. "Steve Smith" says:

leadfarmer:
    I think Yakupov is behind Scrivens on the shootout shooters list.If that were to happen Scrivens would step on the puck, then fall, and accidentally kick it into his own net.

If that happened, would it count as a shootout goal against the Oilers? Like how, in the CFL, it’s possible to convert on the other team’s touchdown?

27. Bag of Pucks says:

They may have wanted Drai to watch a game from the press box.

Leon may have had a minor injury requiring a 1 game callup.

MacT may prefer at bats for his 3OV over Tambi’s 2nd rounder (Lander)

Or maybe, just maybe, Arco responded to the threat that Lander represented with a 2 goal game.

28. "Frank The Dog" says:

Ok, I’m calm now.
    We need to give this coaching team a clean sheet starting with the game they took over. This would be game 3.
    Until tonight, they’ve only scored more than 3 points once since October (against Vancouver).
    We got 29 Shots For – but 45 against a shaky Scrivens. Methinks he’ll coma back, needs to play in the A for a while to regain his confidence. 10+10+10+10+5. the Offense did their job.

So was the O cheating all night or did the usual prospects stand and watch? Looking forward to the insight from those who watched the game.

29. "Steve Smith" says:

Bag of Pucks:
    By my eye, Yak was invisible for most of the game.

Not surprised that Nelson doesn’t reward him with a shot in the shootout.

30. kinger_OIL says:

Lander probably said something in the locker room, post-game that MacT didn’t like, would be my guess. Called out a player, or a coach for the gong-show? Either that or Nelson just doing him a favour? Does he have to pass through waivers?

31. danny says:

“Steve Smith”: How about, instead of using the shootout as an opportunity to reward players, we use it as an opportunity to win hockey games?

*slow clap* Well done sir.

32. flyfish1168 says:

Bag of Pucks:
    By my eye, Yak was invisible for most of the game.

Not surprised that Nelson doesn’t reward him with a shot in the shootout.

Love how Nelson is managing Hall and Schultz so far.

At this point of the game its about giving yourself the best chance to win it not about punishing yourself and the team. So why is the team losers?

33. VanOil says:

Great song. Sad, Sad, Sad on a Sunday night.

I was hoping you were going to go with Take it Easy but hope fled long ago with this team.

34. cabbiesmacker says:

When the players come out to start the game the music in the background should be Yakkety Sax per the Benny Hill fast motion cluster.

Outshot 45 – 29. Not going to crank out too many wins doing that.

35. "Steve Smith" says:

cabbiesmacker: Outshot 45 – 29. Not going to crank out too many wins doing that.

Unless you’re playing the Oilers, of course.

36. G Money says:

LMHF#1: Umm…wrong quote?

Lowetide: I think LMHF is on your side here.

I know, I was agreeing with him. My “holy fuck!” was the shock at the tweet you posted, which LMHF also was responding too, not a disagreement. Clearly it didn’t read that way! Sorry LMHF!

37. LostBoy says:

Maybe I’m coming in late, haven’t read most of the thread.

But people seem upset that Yakupov didn’t get the nod in the shootout.

Newsflash: Nail Yakupov has never been used in a shootout, even once, in his NHL career.

I don’t personally know whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

Krueger didn’t use him. Eakins didn’t use him.

So I’m just saying it’s not exactly surprising even in one that went this deep that he didn’t get a chance.

Hendricks used to be really good at it. I think that’s probably a thing of the past, but still. Lander wasn’t really good in the AHL (I think one goal lifetime) but he got plenty of attempts. Arco had scored twice in the game.

You have to think that if Yak was showing major chops at this in practice he would at some point in the last three years been asked to try it out for real.

Just don’t see this as a biggie. Interested to see him get a chance, but don’t disagree with the choices tonight.

38. "Steve Smith" says:

G Money:
    I know, I was agreeing with him.Clearly it didn’t read that way!

Fuck you; you are history’s worst monster.

39. danny says:

danny:
    Does Lander have to pass through waivers ?

Anyone?

40. LMHF#1 says:

LostBoy:

Krueger didn’t use him.Eakins didn’t use him.

Not a newsflash. Well known and remarkably idiotic.

Can someone find his OHL #s? I remember them being quite good.

41. G Money says:

“Steve Smith”: Fuck you; you are history’s worst monster.

And I’m not sorry about that either.

42. LMHF#1 says:

G Money:
    I know, I was agreeing with him. My “holy fuck!” was the shock at the news LMHF had posted, not a disagreement.Clearly it didn’t read that way!

I’d hoped it was that, but there was also the possibility that you thought I’d been sarcastic.

Not like that ever happens.

danny: Anyone?

I don’t think he was here long enough

44. G Money says:

P.S. Does anyone know how one goes about becoming history’s best monster?

45. LostBoy says:

In a microsample, the Oilers have not trailed entering the third so far since the coaching change, and have had two rare leads.

Dead cat coaching change bounce, or progress, dunno. If they don’t turn it into a win really soon, doesn’t matter anyway. (I mean, I know nothing matters and what if it did in terms of the season, just mean whether this little uptick is due to the firing or to actual new coaching.)

46. Ben says:

I can’t even imagine how awful the wing position on this team will look by the time they fix G and C.

47. Bag of Pucks says:

People convinced that Yakupov in the SO gives the team a better chance to win with nary a shred of data to support that argument. Interesting times.

You monster! How are we going to be McDaviding in the fall with this kind of thinking!?!!??

49. "Steve Smith" says:

oilleak2014: what about goddamn ference it is all yaks fault again get a grip

danny: Welcome to the blog. I Agree with you on this, and LT doesn’t ever mind ppl disagreeing with him… We usually try to keep things constructive and friendly… Cheers

Punctuation is also encouraged.

50. flyfish1168 says:

Sather was smart enough to play a well rested Petr Klíma instead of wasting his talent on the bench

51. "Steve Smith" says:

Bag of Pucks:

Well, as already pointed out, we can’t refer to Yakupov’s professional shootout percentage. But we can certainly refer to Lander’s.

52. Bag of Pucks says:

Not sure why this is an either/or situation in your mind.

It’s actually possible for Nelson and the team to do both.

53. danny says:

Lowetide: I don’t think he was here long enough

54. LMHF#1 says:

flyfish1168:
    Satherwas smart enough to play a well rested Petr Klíma instead of wasting his talent on the bench

Muckler! One of the two capable coaches this team has had.

55. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks:

How about this:

Arcobello – 76 games 11 goals (0.14 gpg)
    Hendricks – 370 games 34 goals (0.09 gpg)
    Lander – 95 games 2 goals (0.02 gpg)

Yakupov – 145 games 32 goals (0.22)

Despite Yak’s well publicized slump, his goal scoring rate is 3/100ths behind the other three guys PUT TOGETHER.

56. G Money says:

Pouzar: Hendricks was 50% on the S.O. going into tonight.

But carry on.

Well, yes, but if super small samples are valid for consideration, then it should also be considered that Yakupov has never been stopped in an NHL shootout.

57. flyfish1168 says:

Pouzar: Hendricks was 50% on the S.O. going into tonight.

But carry on.

on 2 attempts. not much data in my books. Shooters has a better chance

58. "Steve Smith" says:

flyfish1168: on 2 attempts. not much data in my books. Shooters has a better chance

59. G Money says:

Lowetide: You monster!

“Steve Smith” is not half the monster that I am. As has already been established by credible sources, I am history’s worst monster, and well on my way to becoming history’s best monster.

60. flyfish1168 says:

LMHF#1: Muckler! One of the two capable coaches this team has had.

Damit I met Muckler thanks

61. Pouzar says:

Seriously….the vitriol on here for Hendricks being chosen in the shootout is top 3 of some the stupidest shit I’ve read here. HFOilesque. I am probably responsible for the other 2 but I digress…………..

62. VanOil says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Punctuation is also encouraged.

Fuck! you, are. Right?

63. flyfish1168 says:

“Steve Smith”,

nope 2 only

64. oliveoilers says:

Not again?

G Money: Steve Smith is not half the monster that I am.As has already been established by credible sources, I am history’s worst monster, and well on my way to becoming history’s best monster.

I’m going to need to see some kind of proof

66. G Money says:

Lowetide: I’m going to need to see some kind of proof

“Steve Smith”: Fuck you; you are history’s worst monster.

G Money:
    P.S. Does anyone know how one goes about becoming history’s best monster?

Q.E.D.

67. oliveoilers says:

So, what’d I miss? Was busy bottling home made hooch and eating maple mustard pulled pork that had been slow roasting since my boys woke me at 530am. Gotta do something until 8-830am when LT rises and shines.

It looks like Dallas had score effects but someone forgot to tell them that comebacks are supposed to be spirited yet ineffectual. Was there any PDO meat? Or was it the goalie, stupid? How tall is Scrivens?

Woodguy,

This game is as winnable as it is lose-able.

I think there may be goals.

I should wear a swami head dress and sell prognostications.

I almost drove off the road on the way home when they said Lander was sent down.

Nelson parks Pinizzotto, Yak and Pitlick when he shortens his bench, Gazdic and Aulie are in the rafters eating popcorn and Lander gets the bulls eye after leading the team in shots.

Hunt is garbage when not on the PP, Ference is done a NHL level player (saw him just awful tonight), Aulie is collecting a NHL pay cheque and Marincin is picking Lander up from the airport in OKC.

MacT needs to be removed as the GM immediately as his ability to evaluate players is terrible and he may do irrevocable damage to the franchise.

I’m serious.

They’re talk of blowing up the core this summer and the guy with his finger on the button prefers Pitlick, Pinizzotto, Gazdic, Aulie and Hunt to Lander and Marincin.

Fuck these people.

Also,

Lucky they didn’t get 10.

69. Bag of Pucks says:

G Money: How about this:

Arcobello – 76 games 11 goals (0.14 gpg)
    Hendricks – 370 games 34 goals (0.09 gpg)
    Lander – 95 games 2 goals (0.02 gpg)

Yakupov – 145 games 22 goals (0.22)

Arco was having a good game. HCs will often go with a ‘hot hand’ in the shoutout.

Hendricks is good in the shoutout historically. Really not sure why you’re leaning on game s% for your reasoning. The shootout is a different animal

With Lander, I think this was his game to ‘prove it’ to MacT so they gave him every opportunity with that in mind.

Btw, I think it s fair to point out that I’m not endorsing Nelson decision process her. The team lost so obviously there were some flaws in the thinking. Simply providing some input on some of the factors that may be influencing his decisions.

70. Pouzar says:

LMHF#1: G-zus effing Christ…

Tried too hard I guess.

No Words for this organization. Just wow. I thought Lander looked really good.

71. G Money says:

oliveoilers: Not again?

Maybe they just need some experience. As either FrJohnK or FrankTheDog (all names that start with the letter F look the same to me) mentioned earlier, prior to tonight’s game, the Oilers had spent a total of 38 minutes with a 2+ goal lead this entire season!

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Ference
    Scrivens
    Nikitin
    Hunt

Do not need to see them after New Years, please.

This is the correct list.

73. PhrankLee says:

I..this goalie we have…we…

Uh, I….

That was incredibly embarrassing.

The GM is in the desert.

Jay Feaster is laughing. Jay, god damned, Feaster.

74. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks,

I get that this rationale might allow you to put one of those guys in ahead of Yak.

Yak is a 1OV with a deadly shot who’s struggled to find himself in scoring positions.

Arco has a muffin of a shot but did have two goals.

Hendricks’ shootout record is illusory, 1 goal in 2 attempts means nothing. (EDIT: or is it 9 of 18? Not sure which now. 9 of 18 makes it slightly more defensible) And tonight’s embarrassing non-goal certainly showed why (in 8 seasons), he’s only ever been picked twice (or is it 18?).

And Lander is here for a bunch of reasons, none of which have to do with scoring goals in the NHL.

So yeah, one of those guys ahead of Yak makes sense.

All three of them is a continuation of the same irrational decision making that, as WG put it, allows this team to put Pitlick, Pinizzotto, Gazdic, Aulie and Hunt ahead of Lander and Marincin.

Irrational bordering on insanity.

75. "Frank The Dog" says:

G Money: Maybe they just need some experience.As either FrJohnK or FrankTheDog (all names that start with the letter F look the same to me) mentioned earlier, prior to tonight’s game, the Oilers had spent a total of 38 minutes with a 2+ goal lead this entire season!

That would be the other F.

76. LostBoy says:

I’m not sure I understand what’s being said re: Hendricks, but coming into this season I believe he was 9 of 18 in shootout attempts. I think tonight was his first try this season (think we only went two deep in our first shootout loss).

However he hasn’t scored in the shootout since leaving the Captials. He was 1 for 3 for them in 2012-2013 and I think he’s ofer since with Nashville and Edmonton.

77. G Money says:

“Frank The Dog”: That would be the other F.

In fairness, you both start with ‘Fr’, not just F!

78. rich says:

Don’t get the plan w/Lander at all.

Yes he was on the ice for 2 goals against, but look at what happened and tell me he was responsible and I’ll tell you that you’re smoking the drapes.

Unless this was a 1 game plan to sit Draisaitl and bring him immediately back (w/Lander going down). Still, it does not make sense.

I don’t get Oiler management at all. Makes no sense re: handling of Lander, makes no sense re: handling of the defense. Hunt was brutal tonight – again. He’s shown no ability to play at this level but you play him because he brings offense? And here I thought the job of being a d-man was to keep the other team from scoring. He stands by his man on the first goal and doesn’t do what you teach d-men to do back in peewee’s. Good grief.

Ference and Petry are 33 games in this season and still have to be told to do a better job with gap control? Sorry, I like Petry but they struggled all night.

And the goaltending is just brutal.

If not for this blog I’d have given up on this group long ago, and still, I’m not sure why I even bother.

79. oliveoilers says:

Woodguy,
    “Also,

Scrivens spends more time on his belly than any goalie that I’ve ever seen. What a non-stop gong show he is when he’s in net.”

80. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy:
    Woodguy,

This game is as winnable as it is lose-able.

I think there may be goals.

I should wear a swami head dress and sell prognostications.

I’m serious.

Fuck these people.

Also,

Scrivens spends more time on his belly than any goalie that I’ve ever seen.What a non-stop gong show he is when he’s in net.

Lucky they didn’t get 10.

You saw all this and you paid for overpriced hooch tonight. Must be a loyal fan

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    How many games of Yak not playing at all in the second half of the 3rd period or OT while watching his team lose anyway before he’s had enough? Just curious what his mentality is at this point.

I’d ask for a trade and bluff the KHL (there will still be some teams with money and he’s famous) to get moved.

RFA this summer.

I doubt he signs here.

It’s the goalie stupid.

I clench my kegels every time DAL was winding up for shot tonight.

I can now stop my pee mid stream.

83. G Money says:

BUF leading BOS with just a few minutes to go, then they coughed it up and lost in OT. CAR lost. Still mostly a two horse race to the bottom.

G Money:
    interesting tell on Yak.

Heard on the radio that Yak has exactly 0 shoot out attempts in his NHL career.

Picked #1 over all because of his scoring.

Because Oilers.

85. flyfish1168 says:

PhrankLee:
    I..this goalie we have…we…

Uh, I….

That was incredibly embarrassing.

The GM is in the desert.

Jay Feaster is laughing. Jay, god damned, Feaster.

Trust me Peaster is not the only one laughing

86. G Money says:

oliveoilers: I can’t remember which game it was, but it was a road game and I was watching their feed. The commentators were pissing themselves laughing because somebody in the locker room had called Scrivens ‘The Bear Rug’ and the penny didn’t drop until they watched the game and saw Scrivens doing the Pac-Man at a puck.

I don’t remember him doing that last year. Wonder if it’s part of the same ‘lie down on the PP’ disease infecting the team this year.

An extreme variation of Jultzing, where you not only stop skating and swipe half-heartedly at the puck, but you actually lie down?

87. G Money says:

Woodguy: I clench my kegels every time DAL was winding up for shot tonight.

I can now stop my pee mid stream.

LOT of clenching happening on the ice tonight too.

88. Dicky94 says:

Woodguy,

Right on! You can have several piss shivers that way. Good stuff!

89. oliveoilers says:

Lander’s sent down because the TEAM didn’t hold on to a three goal lead? Well, it’s called common sense, yet it’s very rare in Kingsway these days….

Ok, over/under on the length of Lander’s side-burns. I’ve got 3″, but surely you’d need to know what MacT considers to be abhorrent for a gentleman hockey player to sport.

90. Pouzar says:

I will give you one more crack at posting the right numbers.

91. oliveoilers says:

G Money: I don’t remember him doing that last year.Wonder if it’s part of the same ‘lie down on the PP’ disease infecting the team this year.

I don’t know what it is G, but I know I don’t like it. I hope we haven’t swapped Chabot for history’s worst monster.

92. LMHF#1 says:

Here’s Yakupov going 3/4 in a single shootout. Against frigging Bobrovsky.

93. LostBoy says:

Woodguy: Heard on the radio that Yak has exactly 0 shoot out attempts in his NHL career.

Huh. And I was just told a bit upthread that this was a Well Known Fact.

Ralph wanted to win, that season wasn’t a tank job/disaster/tough love scenario for Yak. Krueger’s team went to five shootouts. He didn’t use Yak once.

Maybe it is idiotic, dunno. But I’m going to defer to the coaches on this. If he was showing the goods on shootout tries in practice, I’d assume he would have gotten used.

94. Pouzar says:

G Money:
    Bag of Pucks,

Arco has a muffin of a shot but did have two goals.

Hendricks’ shootout record is illusory, 1 goal in 2 attempts means nothing. (EDIT: or is it 9 of 18?Not sure which now.9 of 18 makes it slightly more defensible)And tonight’s embarrassing non-goal certainly showed why (in 8 seasons), he’s only ever been picked twice (or is it 18?).

So yeah, one of those guys ahead of Yak makes sense.

Irrational bordering on insanity.

It’s 9 of 18.

And yes. It’s totally defensible.

95. oliveoilers says:

flyfish1168: Trust me Peaster is not the only one laughing

And King Henrik. But it’s very short sighted of him. When he’s winding down in his career and Slats is looking for the succession to the throne, maybe he throws his puppies in YEG a bone….Laugh on, MFer, laugh on, it’s just business to Slats.

96. jake70 says:

I actually am enjoying all the bizarre roster moves, makes the blog quite entertaining.

97. pocession charge says:

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers·33s 33 seconds ago

#Oilers have assigned forward Anton Lander to the AHL’s @OKCBarons.

I don’t get that one. I thought he played a decent game. Lost his man after falling in the neutral zone. Other than that he looked pretty good. Serious case of sideburns.

I’m assuming that Nikitin is coming back and Lander loses the spot for him. Should be Draisaitl going to junior but this management group knows better. Their track record is proof positive.

98. Pouzar says:

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 2h2 hours ago
    Current #Oilers, ranked by all-time success rate in NHL shootouts (min. 10 tries):
    1. Hendricks (50%)
    2. Eberle (45.2%)
    3. Hall (30.8%)

99. Pouzar says:

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 2h2 hours ago
    Hendricks is also 10-for-19 in AHL shootout attempts; 19-for-37 between AHL/NHL entering tonight.
    He’s a legitimate shootout choice.

100. flyfish1168 says:

Pouzar: I will give you one more crack at posting the right numbers.

101. oliveoilers says:

jake70:

“And some men just want to watch the world burn.”

You are right though. It’s nothing if not entertaining.

G Money: How about this:

Arcobello – 76 games 11 goals (0.14 gpg)
    Hendricks – 370 games 34 goals (0.09 gpg)
    Lander – 95 games 2 goals (0.02 gpg)

Yakupov – 145 games 32 goals (0.22)

Well done.

103. "Steve Smith" says:

Pouzar: It’s 9 of 18.

And yes. It’s totally defensible.

I don’t have a problem with Hendricks in the shootout. I did when he was announced, but then Michaels and Stauffer gave his career stats, and it reminded me of the days where Cabbiesmacker would get all indignant about Horcoff being put out in the shootout, and then I would cite Horcoff’s career statistics, and then Cabbiesmacker would stop talking for a while. The skills required to score in the shootout are such a small subset of the skills required to score during hockey games that it’s perfectly normal for some great shootout players never to score during hockey games, and for some great scorers to suck in the shootout. So that’s fine.

Arcobello, I can see, sort of. I wasn’t incensed about that one.

But Lander’s selection, particularly with his being sent down right after the game, reeks of being a reward for “compete level”, rather than being a decision with a mind to winning the hockey game.

(And if we’re making shootout selections with McDavid in mind, we should have led with Ference or somebody. Instead, it was Hall. So I’m pretty sure the Oilers were at least nominally trying to win the game.)

104. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: Subscribe

So you had an issue with Hendricks over Yak in the shootout?

G Money,

I heard 9/18 on the radio on the way home.

I usually don’t get up tight about who gets picked in the shoot out.

Teams practice it and there are some guys who are good at it who you wouldn’t think (like Horcoff) and natural goal scorers who aren’t.

That being said no attempts for Yak in his entire NHL career is a firing offence for everyone.

oliveoilers:
    Woodguy,
    “Also,

I can’t remember which game it was, but it was a road game and I was watching their feed.The commentators were pissing themselves laughing because somebody in the locker room had called Scrivens ‘The Bear Rug’ and the penny didn’t drop until they watched the game and saw Scrivens doing the Pac-Man at a puck.

Awesome.

107. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    The one positive takeaway from this game so far is how comfortable Lander has looked out there this time around.

Damn it, I spoke too soon. What do you do when your team takes your silver lining away amid the darkest, biggest storm cloud, ever? 1 win in, what over a fifth of the season, nearly a quarter?

Lander played the best I’ve seen him play in the NHL. Looked confident.

Shoot me.

LostBoy: Huh.And I was just told a bit upthread that this was a Well Known Fact.

Ralph wanted to win, that season wasn’t a tank job/disaster/tough love scenario for Yak.Krueger’s team went to five shootouts.He didn’t use Yak once.

Maybe it is idiotic, dunno.But I’m going to defer to the coaches on this.If he was showing the goods on shootout tries in practice, I’d assume he would have gotten used.

To Ralph’s defense he had Eberle and Gagner who were both pretty good for a while.

(aside) See? I don’t hate Ralph.

Just didn’t do much with the team.

Pouzar: So you had an issue with Hendricks over Yak in the shootout?

Not at all.

110. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Hendricks, fine. But your season is lost anyway. Give Yak a try over Arco or Lander!

111. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: Not at all.

I will go on and bitch about Lander being sent down now.

I think the whole “plan” was for MacFuck to call Lander up for 1 game to show Drai how a defensive center should play. I really believe that.

112. LostBoy says:

Woodguy: G Money: How about this:
    Arcobello – 76 games 11 goals (0.14 gpg)
    Hendricks – 370 games 34 goals (0.09 gpg)
    Lander – 95 games 2 goals (0.02 gpg)
    Yakupov – 145 games 32 goals (0.22)
    Well done.

Sorry, but this is a wee bit silly.

During Dany Heatley’s four golden years in Ottawa, he scored 180 regular season goals, but managed 3/19 in the shootout.

They aren’t necessarily the same skillset. Sometimes elite goalscorers are good at shootouts, sometimes they aren’t. Sometimes pluggers like Hendricks are.

113. flyfish1168 says:

I wonder if Anton knew he was up only for one game. If he didn’t he must have pi$$ed his pants when he was told.

114. Bag of Pucks says:

I would suggest if you really want an effective postmortem of this game, you focus the bulk of your energies on looking at why they gassed a 3 goal lead, and not nearly as much on shooter selection in the ‘ bonus round.’

With a 3 goal lead, you HAVE to win that game in regulation and deny your opponent any points in the standing.

115. Pouzar says:

Wrong sport…thought it was funny

Jon Gruden ‏@Faux_Gruden 6m6 minutes ago
    Wilson throwing a TD pass to Wilson is the wildest thing I’ve ever seen. The ball is even made by Wilson. My mind is about to explode, man

More on Ference.

Why is he out there 4 on 4?

I’m convinced a key reason why they never have the puck 4 on 4 this year.

Just gives it away in ozone with weak open shots from the point or dumping it to an open corner.

4 on 4 hockey is a big game of keep away and Ference is like the kid who couldn’t skate so he’d just throw the puck away as soon as he got it.

Poor pinching decisions tonight.

If you’re gonna pinch at least stop the puck or the man.

Ference let both by him often enough that you’d wonder if he’s skating bowlegged and they were just chipping it between his legs and stepping around him.

The next two years are going to be worse.

That’s a contract that needs to be moved but he’s one of MacT’s guys so you know he’s like furniture.

117. flyfish1168 says:

LostBoy: Sorry, but this is a wee bit silly.

They aren’t necessarily the same skillset.Sometimes elite goalscorers are good at shootouts, sometimes they aren’t. Sometimes pluggers like Hendricks are.

We will probably never know. But I will laugh my pants off just like feaster if turns out to be like Tarasenko on his new team

LostBoy: Sorry, but this is a wee bit silly.

Both Steve Smith and I mentioned that its a special skill, so no argument there.

I was impressed that Gmoney came up with some credible stuff so fast for his argument.

Pouzar: Then we agree. Some people are lumping Hendricks in with the Arco/Lander choices in the shoot out over Yak which is silly.

I will go on and bitch about Lander being sent down now.

I’m just gobsmacked that he’s never got a sniff at the shoot out.

Boy the Oilers just fuck every thing up in their own special way don’t they.

Hey Godot!!

Why did your man Ralph never use Yak in the shootout?

HE RUINED YAK!

120. Ryan says:

Woodguy,

Woodguy,

Dude, what are you talking about? Mact never makes mistakes. 🙂

121. danny says:

Sigh.

Mickey Mouse.

122. Pouzar says:

Woodguy:
    More on Ference.

Why is he out there 4 on 4?

I’m convinced a key reason why they never have the puck 4 on 4 this year.

4 on 4 hockey is a big game of keep away and Ference is like the kid who couldn’t skate so he’d just throw the puckaway as soon as he got it.

Poor pinching decisions tonight.

If you’re gonna pinch at least stop the puck or the man.

The next two years are going to be worse.

I made the same comment about Ference last game. It’s like what’s he going to do? At least Jultz has a chance of winning it in OT.

123. Pouzar says:

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 58s59 seconds ago
    #Oilers demote Anton Lander. Presumably they have their reasons.

Ryan:
    Woodguy,

Woodguy,

Dude, what are you talking about? Mact never makes mistakes.

Not in his mind.

In the state of the team presser before Eakins got sacked Gregor straight up asked MacT if “it was a mistake to start the year with 2 NHL C’s”

MacT :”No”

Sack em all.

125. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: I’m just gobsmacked that he’s never got a sniff at the shoot out.

Boy the Oilers just fuck every thing up in their own special way don’t they.

Hey Godot!!

Why did your man Ralph never use Yak in the shootout?

HE RUINED YAK!

Count me in as gobsmacked. I had no idea Yak has never had an attempt before tonight.

126. Gerta Rauss says:

danny: Did he clear waivers already? I thought the 10 games or 30 days was for eligible players that already cleared to become re-eligible.

I think

Not sure why he was brought up for just the one game, although as someone mentioned above, I bet we see Nikitin activated tomorrow

127. danny says:

Losing Petry and trading for sole negotiating rights so you can give his money to Nikitin, is a crippling decision moving forward. I have no idea how we replace Petry let alone IMPROVE.

I’m afraid I agree with WG. I don’t think we can trust MacT to navigate through this and we are at a junction where mistakes can no longer be made. We dodged Clarkson via dumb luck.

It’s bleak man.

128. "Frank The Dog" says:

pocession charge: I don’t get that one.I thought he played a decent game.Lost his man after falling in the neutral zone.Other than that he looked pretty good.Serious case of sideburns.

I’m assuming that Nikitin is coming back and Lander loses the spot for him.Should be Draisaitl going to junior but this management group knows better.Their track record is proof positive.

Their track record is 3 fucking games and all 3 were close. In fact each was closer than the prior game against that opponent:
    Game 1: Against Arizona – Winning goal against scored 4:49 into OT. Prior loss 5-2.
    Game 2: Against San Jose – Winning goal against scored at 19:59.7 of the 3rd. Prior loss: 5-2!
    Game 3: Against Dallas – spits – Winning “goal” against scored in round 8 of the SO FFS.
    Prior loss 2-3 Winning goal scored at 17:42 in the 2nd.

Yes I know we gave up a 5-2 lead that we had in 13:17 of the 2nd. But when last did this team score 5 goals against a WC team?

That would be last season.

The leash is short, the hysteria is high, we have no clue why they are doing the things that make absolutely no sense to most of us, all we can do is have a beer, or another one, or engage in something more pleasant and relaxing, and then do that again, and see how it all plays out.

I’ve seen more progress in the last 2 games than I’ve seen since Nov 9 when they beat NY.
    Let’s give this bunch a few more games, ok? The O is scoring goals again. Ramsay should probably be polishing his resume if he’s making these calls. Nelson did well in OKC with a worse roster than this – ok, against AHL opponents but still.

There must be some number of games that is reasonable to give him to settle in, I last saw 10 after MacT moved back upstairs.

Time, ladies, time.
    #Ache4Eichel

129. danny says:

Gerta Rauss: He cleared in Sept after the training camp cuts. I believe the clock starts ticking again after he is recalled to the big club(re-entry waivers were abolished in the last CBA)…so the 10game/30 day clock started yesterday, making him waiver exempt and assignable to OKC directly.

I think

Yeah I found that after. Forgot he cleared in the beginning of the season. Too bad for the guy. He seems like a Lars Eller kinda player but can’t get it to launch.

130. Pouzar says:

“Well, nobody’s going to say Anton Lander didn’t get a fair crack at the NHL. He had six shots, four hits and won 69 percent of his faceoffs in his latest one-game call-up, so naturally the Edmonton Oilers – loaded to the gills with centres who do all that stuff – shipped him off to the farm moments after the end of that game.”

Willis

131. Hammers says:

Woodguy:
    More on Ference.

Why is he out there 4 on 4?

I’m convinced a key reason why they never have the puck 4 on 4 this year.

Poor pinching decisions tonight.

If you’re gonna pinch at least stop the puck or the man.

The next two years are going to be worse.

We all said that Eakins was McT’s guy but his gone . Ference & Nikitin may be gone by either buy out or eating some of the contract’s . We can wish .Actually all we really seem to have is wishing .Never thought I would say it but McT has to go . Not sure if anyone agrees but they should have kept playing all 4 lines and I wonder if that was McT or Nelson.

132. G Money says:

LostBoy: Sorry, but this is a wee bit silly.

Yes, it’s a special skill, and pluggers sometimes can score on the shootout and elite goalscorers can’t. But “sometimes”? No. How about “occasionally”? Or “rarely, but at least not never”?

For every plugger in the shootout, there’s five or ten elite goalscorers leading the pack, and with good reason. That’s why DAL started with Spezza, Seguin, and Benn, and EDM countered with Hall, Eberle, and Perron.

After that, the question is how you maximize your success rate.

Hendricks, the leader of the pack, has all of 18 attempts in eight years, with few attempts or successes in the last few. Neither Arco nor Lander have any track record of scoring at even strength OR in the shootout.

So you can defend having one of those guys – Hendricks in particular – ahead of Yak.

But all three of them? Given the only information you have is their seasonal scoring, and given the vastly different track records of scoring prowess, the idea that it’s reasonable to try all of Hendricks AND Arco AND Lander ahead of Yak is not silly, it is outright stupid.

133. G Money says:

Pouzar,

It is conceivable at the end of this season that all of Petry, Yak, Lander, and Marincin will want out. With good reason.

While Edmonton is desperate for scoring, capable depth centres, and capable defensemen.

The team needs to rename itself the Edmonton WTFers.

134. Numenius says:

flyfish1168: I heard from broadcast tonight 2 attempts. I see some people posting 9/18 I find that extraordinarily high scoring rate. Not that its not possible.

Dude – the evidence for 9/18 is here. Hendricks is legit. The “Paralyzer”.

He hasn’t been good lately though.

135. "Frank The Dog" says:

Just got to watching the replay, is it possible that the team was gassed? Seriously. IIRC someone on this blog mentioned prior that the fitness testing Eakins did was different to the testing they did prior, and was more suited to marathon running than the repetitive short sprints one gets in hockey.

Is this fact or fiction? If anyone else remember that post please help me out here.

136. oliveoilers says:

danny:
    Sigh.

Mickey Mouse.

Mickey Mouse wears an Oilers watch.

137. Pouzar says:

G Money:
    Pouzar,

It is conceivable at the end of this season that all of Petry, Yak, Lander, and Marincin will want out.With good reason.

The team needs to rename itself the Edmonton WTFers.

I really believe all those guys are already at that stage. I know I would be. Accountability is non-existent with this franchise. It’s a joke. I really wish I could believe that the Cartel was putting a full court press on to finish 30th but they just aren’t that smart. The Lander call up coupled with the Nelson hiring gave me some hope. But alas….the rug……..

138. fuzzy muppet says:

1 win in TWENTY GAMES

A #1 OV pick Rotting on the vine.

It’s absurd. Yak has had like 2 games on the top line in 2 years. He’s got the lowest Ice time of any #1 pick in 20 years . Yeah he’s invisible , he’s playing with anton Lander and Tyler Pitlick on an AHL line. What the hell are they doing? It’s mind-boggling.

This whole bunch of losers, from the top on down, needs to go. Burn it to the ground.

G Money: Q.E.D.

Well, OKAY, I GUESS that’s enough.

Woodguy: I’m just gobsmacked that he’s never got a sniff at the shoot out.

Boy the Oilers just fuck every thing up in their own special way don’t they.

Hey Godot!!

Why did your man Ralph never use Yak in the shootout?

HE RUINED YAK!

Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, and Horcoff. Gagner regained form. Eberle has always been good. Hemsky is career over 30%. And Horcoff might be career over 30% also.

Yak was happy with Ralph though. Ralph (either lucky or good) was able to get Yakupov lots of opportunities to use his shot, particularly on a dynamic PP#2.

141. Pouzar says:

Maybe the Lander demotion is one of those paper transactions or sumpin……right? right?

142. LostBoy says:

G Money

But that’s not the only information anyone had to go on. Anton Lander has taken 12 shootout attempts for Nelson in the AHL (albeit only scoring once). Arcobello obviously scored two goals in regulation this very night, while Yakupov road the pine. Lander and Arcobello have also actually participated in an NHL shootout before, albeit without success.

Arcobello, ahem, also has 7 goals this season to Yakupov’s 4.

I don’t think there’s any evidence-based case to be made that Yakupov, who no NHL coach through three seasons has saw fit to deploy in the shootout, was the *obvious* person to send out.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t have preferred to see him, just saying there’s no strong basis to say not seeing him was a stupid decision.

Re: Lander. It might be something like they have no plans to play him Tuesday and he’ll be back after the Christmas break. Knowing the NHL there’s a rule about calling people up around Christmas. I’d hate for that to be Anton’s last chance.

144. TireFire says:

Woodguy:
    More on Ference.

Why is he out there 4 on 4?

I’m convinced a key reason why they never have the puck 4 on 4 this year.

Agreed, Ference has been particularly awful at the last couple of 4 v 4. Unfortunately, he’s there because of limited options. In order to limit Hunt to low minutes, they’re already playing their other two LD options a lot. 25:45 for rookie K-bomb so Hunt can be protected. They can’t limit Ference and Hunt, so we get loads of Ference.

It’s a goddamned shame. They really need a better option in the Hunt slot.

145. gogliano says:

PROJECTED POINTS STANDINGS

NJD: 70
    BUF: 70
    AZN: 67
    CAR: 55
    EDM: 51

146. pocession charge says:

fuzzy muppet:
    1 win in TWENTY GAMES

A #1 OV pick Rotting on the vine.

It’s absurd.Yak has had like 2 games on the top line in 2 years.He’s got the lowest Ice time of any #1 pick in 20 years .Yeah he’s invisible , he’s playing with anton Lander andTyler Pitlick on an AHL line. What the hell are they doing?It’s mind-boggling.

This whole bunch of losers, from the top on down, needs to go.Burn it to the ground.

It’s spelled ‘loosers’. Try to get it right.

147. book¡je says:

148. Numenius says:

This makes sense. Before the game had even started today, Nelson said that Drai was playing on Tuesday for sure. So Lander’s play wasn’t going to make a difference about that.

They probably want to make best use of the time that he’s waiver exempt, so they’ll return him for every game he doesn’t play rather than scratch him.

book¡je: I fear that this site might turn into a kind of Godot-ish anti MacT kind of site once MacT acts on his deep seeded beliefs that Yak, Lander, Petry, and Marincin are hopeless and he trades them for the next David Clarkson…

I think we’re already on that railroad line. 🙂

fuzzy muppet:
    1 win in TWENTY GAMES

A #1 OV pick Rotting on the vine.

Yes. I’ve no real idea why they didn’t use Yak tonight and I don’t think that’s the burning issue with this player. The burning issue is every game he’s played since spring 2013.

151. book¡je says:

Lowetide: I think we’re already on that railroad line.

152. wheatnoil says:

This makes the most sense. Lander only has 10 games or 30 days of being waiver exempt. If Drai is playing on Tuesday, then Lander couldn’t draw in again until the 27th. So they save 5 days of Lander’s waiver exempt period. That would be logical asset management at this point.

However, this is the Oilers and when a guy has sideburns, logic often goes out the window. So he’ll probably be traded to Detroit tomorrow for a 6th rounder and end up playing 500 games in the league for them.

book¡je: I know, but like me, there is still a part of you that believes hopes that MacT is primarily a rational hockey manager who will learn from his mistakes and start making good decisions 99% of the time instead of 85% of the time (with the other 15% being batshit crazy decisions).

That’s actually exactly how I feel. He’s really pissing me off because I KNOW he’s smarter than this.

154. 106 and 106 says:

cabbiesmacker,

Were you at my house tonight – that’s exactly the song we sang when we began falling apart – do I know you?

155. cabbiesmacker says:

“Steve Smith”: it reminded me of the days where Cabbiesmacker would get all indignant about Horcoff being put out in the shootout, and then I would cite Horcoff’s career statistics, and then Cabbiesmacker would stop talking for a while.

Interesting synopsis which I’m sure over time has grown in relevance for you.

1. I don’t remember carping about it to the degree you’re suggesting but I do understand your need to be right on the internet. Perhaps it’s your profession?

2) Enlighten me on the impressive stats you threw at me to elicit said silence big fella. Coinciding with my time on this blog Horcoff had 4 SO attempts – one successful. Hardly silence inducing I’d suggest

3) In 2012-13, Horcoffs last year as an Oiler he was given 0 attemots – I guess better “options” had come along

4) As far as historical stats are concerned? I fart in your general direction. He had a nice shootout season in 2009-10. Big whup. I knew a girl that was really good looking in high school. Saw her 20 years later and she was fugly. Some things change over time I guess.

5) You’re the coach of a hockey team with Crosby. Koivu, Ovechkin and Shawn Horcoff on it. It’s the 2010-11 season. Which one of those three do you bump in the SO due to Horcoff being lights out the season prior? It’s called “options.” It’s called the laws of likelihood. It’s called use better “options” if they’re available. When the Oilers got some Horcoff hit the S/O sidelines.

6) 2 seasons in Dallas – 2 SO attempts – He’s 50% after tonight – S/O STUD – 8th shooter tonight, after 2 Dmen and Vern Fiddler – I bet he supplants Spezza, Benn, and Seguin as a S/O “option” now that his awesomeness has been realized.

Last but not least, it would take a lot to make me stop talking even for 5 seconds. I doubt you pimping Shawn Horcoff as a viable S/O candidate would do it. It’s more likely I just got bored with the discussion and dozed off.

156. cabbiesmacker says:

106 and 106:
    cabbiesmacker,

Yes. Buy better beer and snacks next time ok?

157. cabbiesmacker says:

“Steve Smith”: Unless you’re playing the Oilers, of course.

Centre square on the ol bingo card.Used to be because the team was soft. Now it’s because they’re soft and suck.

Someday we’ll all be in the same old folks home. We’ll remember these little arguments we had over many years and they’ll have hilarious ends. Bedpans (full) and mashed potatoes will be the weapons of choice, and we’ll no doubt be in shit with the nurses.

McCurdy will come visit us on Thursdays and read the collected works of Damien cox. He’ll tell the nurses we’ve requested it and will torture us for an hour a week while bringing but not reading “The collected works of Jonathan Willis” which will be at his side.

We’ll sit there in a big circle flinging dung and mashed potatoes. I suspect Horcoff will be a lightning rod well into the century.

159. book¡je says:

cabbiesmacker:

Ok, recently Shawn Horcoff went one for one and buried the Oilers in a pit of misery. Yakupov was not seen because the depth of his misery is greater than everyone else on the team.

160. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:
    Woodguy,

This game is as winnable as it is lose-able.

I think there may be goals.

I’m serious.

Fuck these people.

Send them an email. After tonight you’re a Tier One fan. They’ll listen to you. They care about you.

I think they know a thing or two about listening if there ever was a concern.

9 ring circus.

161. cabbiesmacker says:

book¡je: Ok,recently Shawn Horcoff went one for one and buried the Oilers in a pit of misery. Yakupov was not seen because the depth of his misery is greater than everyone else on the team.

I bet Yak is so fast he’d have scored a hat trick given the chance. He did have that one year with Horcoff showing him the S/O ropes so ya never know man.

Mike Bossy had 9 consecutive 50 goal seasons including his rookie. His shootout stats stink.

162. cabbiesmacker says:

I’m in one already and the best thing about it is not remembering anything that happened before this morning.

Who is this Horcoff fellow?

163. Younger Oil says:

I was able to go to the game tonight, usually get to see one in person per year, here are a few things that I noticed that haven’t really been mentioned:

1. The most noticeable Oiler tonight was actually Pitlick IMO. Laid a punishing body check on every single person he could, even when he was gassed at the end of a shift. Nobody else came even close to that effort level.

2. Yakupov was absolutely snakebitten tonight. Zebras were against him, and the puck just kept rolling off of his stick, but he never stopped trying. Would have liked the coach to throw him a bone in the shootout, but oh well.

3. Also relating to the shootout, the coaches took a rather long time to send out Lander for his shootout attempt. Kind of seemed like they were looking up and down the bench and going “Well shit…now what?”.

4. It was really nice to see Hall get a couple of goals, but they have to find a different way for him to do breakouts, he is just so predictable. He consistently either skates straight into 3 defenders and gives the puck away, or stops, turns back, and passes to a teammate who is coasting, totally taking away the momentum of the rush and allowing the defenders to easily snuff out any attack.. This happened with Yakupov a few times as well. Playing Yakupov with Hall, and have them both come at the defence at full speed at the same time could really confuse the opposition, and elevate both players IMO.

5. You could tell from the moment after the 5-2 goal that they were playing to get into OT. Not playing to extend the lead, or even defend it, but prolong the bleeding as long as they could until the end of the third period. Would like to see what the stats were, but I think they got outshot something like 32-8 after that point (that could be totally wrong though).

6. There was a 30 second shift in the third with 3 wingers on the ice due to Perron coming on for a center. Not sure if this was intentional, but it was baffling. Also, in OT, there were probably 3 circumstances where they had Hall take faceoffs, and then changed him and Eberle on the fly for 2 centers (Nuge and Arco). Would have liked to see the centers take the draws to give us a better chance at possession.

7. Regarding the Stars, Hemsky was by far the most talented player on the ice for either side tonight. As always, had the puck on a string the whole time. I know we’ve talked about getting Eakin as a C for a while, but he was barely noticeable tonight, and was -3 to boot, definitely saw him bad.

164. icecastles says:

cabbiesmacker: Last but not least, it would take a lot to make me stop talking even for 5 seconds.

165. SwedishPoster says:

I’ve seen Yak look great in the shootout in the KHL so it’s odd he never has gotten the chance with the Oilers. Not that odd he didn’t get called upon last night since he sat on the bench a lot at the end of the game. On the other hand it could have been a way to get some confidence back, it’s not like it could get any worse.
    Lander looked stronger and more confident than I’ve ever seen him. I’m sure there’s some waiver thinking behind this but how about playing the best players instead if overthinking every bloody thing. I mean it’s not like thinking is a strength of the Oiler brass.

And if they want Drai to draw back, why not move him to the wing? Play him as lw with Yak and Lander, Yak creates way more from RW anyway, the zone exit issue is another case of overthinking imo, the last game before being moved back to the left his exits looked better as well.Let Pitlick play on the 4th line. Sit Pinnizotto. Problem solved.

Ofc playing the best team would mean Marincin getting back up. I do like Hunt on the PP but too many bad defensive plays for my liking.

Very scrambly game last night, looked pretty good until they backed off. This is a very fragile team. It’s quite obvious that MacTelson has let off the defensive mindset a bit, my guess/hope is that it is to get the players going offensively, to start feeling it before they try to tighten things up. That’s what I would do. Would ofc help if they put the best possible roster on the ice for at least a few games.

166. GCW_69 says:

So, MacT is 36 – 64 – 16 as GM. You asked for it. You got it.

So sad that those of us who didn’t want MacT as GM have to endure it with you.

167. lance says:

Because of a post describing Gadzic pinz ect in the PB instead of MM and Lander on the roster, now Yak with another shiv and I wonder how much of this has to do with players refusing to take steroids/HGH. It’s honestly the only thing I can imagine that even begins to explain some of the daft.

What a disaster of an organization. I think the analytical quality here is spectacular but honestly I want this group to fail. I cannot cheer for this group to win because that would only reinforce this mgmt model. And in hindsight it was the Souray fiasco that started my slide as a fan of this club. Especially one that still needs everything he could bring.

I was born in Edmonton and spent thirty years there. I owe this team zero support, my birthplace provides no obligation to any corporation and my allegiance is totally violated.

icecastles,

WTF is this? I read everything he writes, appreciate him immensely and mostly skip your posts. Your comment here is deliciously Orwellian – where I think he’s one of the best contributors here, you call him mostly wrong while offering no substantial evidence to back up your egregious personal attack. Did you learn that ploy in western Ukraine? I am so sick of fascism and the corresponding prescriptive perspectives that produce ridicule and slander in place of objectivity and tolerance.

Where Yak goes, my loyalty will likely follow. I don’t really care about winning, I don’t care who wins. To break a spirit like his, to cull his passion is unforgettable to me. For me people will always be more important than any final score. These players are not chattel. I have almost no sense that Katz (or Fascicles) have any sense of this. It’s impossible to care for people more than geopolitics and still support American colonialism. It seems to be nearly impossible to support this oiler organization for almost all the same reasons.

Lander down? Unfuckingbelieveable.

168. PhrankLee says:

G Money: (all names that start with the letter F look the same to me)

I found this amusing. There is a poster round here I refer to out loud as Fredo Naismyth.

🙂

169. PhrankLee says:

flyfish1168: Trust me Peaster is not the only one laughing

The point was that a shamed and failed GM of our rival team who is now a boot licker in Tampa need not find the humility gear when Tweeting mirthfully about our team and it’s performance.

I was conveying incredulous irony.
    But clearly failed!

170. theres oil in virginia says:

I think the best part of the game was that sequence where Scrivens made a great save, and while the announcer was saying “What a save by Scrivens!”, the unmarked Stars players scored on the rebound. Or, maybe it was Horcoff camped out in front of Scrivens, and allowed to backhand the puck right past him without so much as a shove from a defender.

Oh, those goalies.

Woodguy was right: there will be goals.

This string of one goal losses has sucked whatever confidence this team once had. They’re heads are just not in it. What makes it worse is that the team has just enough incompetence to ruin whatever the competent players get going. Brad Hunt is not an NHLer. Ference is heading that way. I figure with Ference, he just needs the right partner, like RTB said, but we don’t have that guy on the roster. And so on.

171. cabbiesmacker says:

icecastles: I was wrong: Cabbiesmacker DOES occasionally say something that’s not flat-out wrong.

“You can’t handle the truth!” (spoken in angry voice with fist shaking)

172. jp says:

“Steve Smith”: I thought I heard them say on the radio that it was a much larger sample than that?

flyfish1168:
    “Steve Smith”,

nope 2 only

Probably already posted, but it is a larger sample. Hendricks is 9/19 career after last nights miss.

Edit: That’s #11 in career SO% among players with 10+ attempts. Hendricks is elite at something, though he didn’t look it last night.

173. Black Frank (the dog) says:

Hey GMoney, this is to help you deal with less “F’s” on this blog. For today, anyway.

174. russ99 says:

You can’t rip on Yakupov when he’s out there with Lander and Pitlick, basically AHL players.

He needs a NHL center that can get him the puck in good scoring areas, he;s not going to grind out goals in the cycle, he’s just not that kind of player despite Eakins trying to turn him into one.

If he gets quality linemates here or elsewhere, then he’ll take off.

I hope it’s here.

175. Really? says:

Late to the thread but a couple of observations:

It is obvious that Yak’s stock has plummeted lower than oil prices. They won’t even use him in a shoot out and he was selected first overall because he is a shooter.

Ference may have been a decent D man at some point in time but he instinctively makes some of the worst reads I have ever seen and is not strong enough to be an NHL D man. He is horrendous in all three zones. His ability to keep the puck in the offensive zone is non existent, his pinches are criminal and his passing is pathetic.

Scrivens is the WORST puck handler I have ever seen at the NHL level. He makes more mistakes handling the puck than Yak, Hall, Eberle, Ference and Schultz combined. It almost looks as if he is trying to get assists on opponents goals. It is also obvious that when Eakins talked about the swarm Scrivens thought he said the swim. I have only seen the ‘swim’ used by peewee goalies and even they did it better than Scrivens.

The only good thing to take away from this game is that when the Oilers cause some traffic in front of the opposing goalie they actually have a chance to score.

176. Pajamah says:

With the demotion of Lander and Marincin, I’ve completely checked out.

If you need me (you won’t), I’ll be on twitter cracking wise about Todd Nelson only smoking Marlboros, and making sure his zippo flame is atleast 6 inches so that he looks more bad ass.

« Older Comments