NO. 17 PROSPECT (winter 2014) ANTON SLEPYSHEV

The Edmonton Oilers took forever to commit themselves to a Russian pipeline but they’re all-in now. Yak is in the NHL, Yak2 is on the way and one of their top prospects on the wing is Russian Anton Slepyshev. He’s free to sign in North America this summer and should be successful in the AHL. Is he an NHL talent? Can he replace one of Hall, Eberle, Perron or Pouliot on the skill lines?

PREVIOUSLY NUMBER SEVENTEEN ON THE LIST

• December 2004: L Alexei Mikhnov (2)
  • December 2005: L Alexei Mikhnov (2)
  • December 2006: C Jonas Almtorp (0)
  • December 2007: G Jeff Deslauriers (62)
  • December 2008: D Johan Motin (1)
  • December 2009: D Cody Wild (0)
  • December 2010: L Teemu Hartikainen (52)
  • December 2011: D Dillon Simpson (0)
  • December 2012: D Colten Teubert (24)
  • December 2013: L Anton Slepyshev (0)

We’re in the ‘Hail Mary’ section of the list, even the first and second rounders who landed here were suspects more than prospects when they arrived. Jeff Deslauriers had a little rumble there and Teemu Hartikainen could still have a career. Dillon Simpson and Slepyshev (second year in a row at No. 17) remain hopefuls from this list.

slepyshev tweetWHAT THEY SAID ON DRAFT DAY

• Pronman: Slepyshev was passed over in last year’s draft, mostly due to signability concerns. Despite being ranked 17th in last year’s Hockey Prospectus draft rankings, he falls to 45th this season, simply due to the depth of the draft class. He is an above-average skater, with agility and free movement, as his shiftiness makes him hard to check. He has a plus shot and he knows it, as his mentality is often shoot-first, even from distance. He can still make plays, and he does not have tunnel vision, but his playmaking skills are not his best element. His physical game has progressed, and he has added strength since last season. He can protect pucks moderately well. He will display physical effort, although it could be better at times. He also needs to work on his defensive game.
  • ISS Scouting Report: “Perhaps the best player that was most shockingly left off the draft board last year, Slepyshev came back strong this year. A talented two-way player with good spirit, Slepyshev has great hands and can really make things happen from the perimeter with the puck. He shows good work ethic, can play physical and also can be a real pest to play against. He shows good power elements in his game and can protect the puck well and isn’t afraid to go into the dirty areas of the ice. Saw good minutes for Russia at this year’s WJC and should be in line to be one of their top weapons for next year’s event.”

ANTON SLEPYSHEV KHL, BY SEASON

PLAYER BOXCARS TOI/GAME POINTS/60
SLEPYSHEV 2011-12 KHL 39, 4-3-7 8:55 1.21
SLEPYSHEV 2012-13 KHL 26, 7-2-9 12:40 1.64
SLEPYSHEV 2013-14 KHL 36, 3-5-8 10:18 1.29
SLEPYSHEV 2014-15 KHL 39, 5-7-12 10:44 1.72

Slepyshev has recovered nicely this season, scoring at a solid rate for his KHL team. I’m not certain it’s enough to play in the NHL on a skill line, but it’s comparable to Teemu Harikainen on the same team (2.10) when you factor in PP time (Harski has PP goals, Slepyshev none).

PREVIOUS TOP 20 RANKING

• Summer 2013: 7
  • Winter 2013: 17
  • Summer 2014: 18
  • Winter 2014: 17

I thought about ranking Slepyshev higher but he’s still playing less than 11 minutes a night. That’s a tell for me—the KHL coach has better options—and Slepyshev is no longer a kid (21 in May). Even with this ranking he is among the Oilers top prospect wingers, with only Iiro Pakarinen (No. 5), Tyler Pitlick (No. 10) and Jackson Houck (No. 11) ahead of him. Guys like Marco Roy or Greg Chase may move to wing but the skill winger position is wide open on the prospect tree.

KHL Season 2011/12

14-15

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING THIS SEASON

• Corey Pronman, ESPN: Anton Slepyshev-EDM played 7 minutes today in the KHL, but he was able to get on Russia’s National Team? #doesnotcompute
  • Corey Pronman, ESPN: In the Karjala Cup (don’t ask), Slepyshev-EDM played for Russia’s Mens National Team. In 3 games, Slepyshev got 2 points.
  • Lowetide Blog: We will have a good chance to see Russian Anton Slepyshev at the Spengler Cup over Christmas. If he can cover over next fall and score well enough, it will give Edmonton a badly needed skill winger.

THE FUTURE

It is so very hard to project these Euro kids because the KHL is a top pro league in Europe and he’s losing playing time to good players (fewer at-bats, tougher pitching). However, he’s 20 now and should be earning it, we haven’t see that this year. His points-per-60 is encouraging and I’m looking forward to seeing him at the Spengler and as an AHL player. I can’t say with authority that he’s shown enough for us to expect him to be a feature player as a rookie in the minors. He is certainly worth signing in my opinion. He could be badly underrated at this number but I’m comfortable putting him here based on the evidence available.

2013 NHL DRAFT

• Darnell Nurse, No. 7 overall. Good arrows, played 2 NHL games and made WJ team. No. 2 overall prospect.
  • Marco Roy, No. 59 overall. Scoring well after early injuries. No. 11 overall prospect.
  • Bogdan Yakimov, No. 83 overall. Mammoth Russian progressing smartly. No. 4 overall prospect.
  • Anton Slepyshev, No. 88 overall. Slick Russian winger with slight uptick in the KHL. No. 17 overall prospect.
  • Jackson Houck, No. 94 overall. Struggling some this season. No. 12 overall prospect.
  • Kyle Platzer, No. 96 overall. Emerging as a quality NHL prospect this year. No. 9 overall prospect.
  • Aidan Muir, No. 113 overall. Now in college, scoring a little. Candidate for winter 20.
  • Evan Campbell, No. 128 overall. Scoring well in college this year. Candidate for winter 20.
  • Ben Betker, No. 158 overall. Huge defender continues to progress. Candidate for winter 20.
  • Greg Chase, No. 188 overall. Signed a contract, strong camp, finding his way on the coast. No. 6 overall prospect.

Slepyshev is the seventh player from the 2013 draft to make the top 20. That draft and the 2011 edition are much stronger than 2012 and 2014 and should deliver more NHL players. It’s important to remember though that not everyone will make the NHL and play 200 games. If the Oilers get three players from this draft who make that plateau it should be considered a strong year. Right now, I would not put my money on Slepyshev being one of those players.

65 Responses to "NO. 17 PROSPECT (winter 2014) ANTON SLEPYSHEV"

1. Pouzar says:

Slepy with Bogdan Handzus in Bakersfield next year? Yes please!

2. haters says:

A thought on his TOI. If I’m the coach of that team im thinking, why invest time in a player that’s not going to be here next year. ?

Captain obvious I know, but watching him play suggests he’s more than a 12 min a night guy.

Pouzar:
    Slepy with Bogdan Handzus in Bakersfield next year? Yes please!

It could be a dynamite combination. Slepyshev has good speed and size, plus he can post numbers. I go back to thw WJ’s where he really played well. The KHL is a crapshoot for prospects

4. Pouzar says:

haters:

I am sure Slepy is not long for the KHL now. Hopefully he comes over and plays a ton in the “A”.

5. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: It could bea dynamite combination. Slepyshev has good speed and size, plus he can post numbers. I go back to thw WJ’s where he really played well. The KHL is a crapshoot for prospects

Oilers prospects Anton Slepyshev and Bogdan Yakimov helped lead Russia to a 2-1 win over Canada on Sunday to capture the Bronze Medal at the 2014 World Junior Hockey Championship.

6. Pouzar says:

Slepy, Chase, Platzer……………keep the line movin and get that player development machine goin. Only way out of this mess.

7. eidy says:

He is 12th in ice time, 6th in points, and 4th in SOG and shots/game. He is good enough to play internationally for Russia but 4th line for his KHL team.

Its like the oilers are guiding his development in the KHL.

eidy:

Its like the oilers are guiding his development in the KHL.

The KHL, man. I’m not kidding. It is a WEIRD place for young players.

9. russ99 says:

Holy cow, Taylor Chorney’s back in the NHL, playing 4th line center for the Pens tonight.

Will be immortalized forever in Oilers history for the Shift of Doom.

Wanna see how far we’ve come in the rebuild, watch that. 🙂

10. rich says:

russ99,

So perhaps there is hope for Brad Hunt?

11. russ99 says:

rich,

Hey, at least he can get off the ice. I so don’t miss being trapped in our own zone like that.

12. kinger_OIL says:

Oil Pipeline not looking good: just reading the summary: Yakimov, with 2 goals, is the # 4 prospect on our team (and what 2nd F). I wonder how many teams in the league have a 2 goal scorer as their 2nd best offensive prospect… Scary Scary. Miles and years away from being good. I’m working on a post contrasting and comparing the Oilers to AIMCo. Both have “monopolies”, both are accountable to stakeholders, and both don’t have to worry about money flowing in, and both are the only game in town in their respective fields. Over the same period (AIMCo founded in 2008, Katz buying the OIL also in 2008) these two unique Edmonton institutions have evolved (well one devolved, the other knocks it out of park). AIMCo can’t really “fail”, from a gathering of assets perspective, given the lack of competition, and who they represent, yet they have developed into world-class asset managers. The OIL don’t have any competition, and have always sold out, yet they have developed into a Mickey Mouse organization…I will put on my teenager, know it all Hockey Helmet, and add to it my adult finance Helmet, to explore the differences in stakeholder accountability in the two, and how Katz could learn from AIMCo.

kinger_OIL:
    Oil Pipeline not looking good: just reading the summary: Yakimov, with 2 goals, is the # 4 prospect on our team (and what 2nd F).I wonder how many teams in the league have a 2 goal scorer as their 2nd best offensive prospect…Scary Scary.Miles and years away from being good.I’m working on a post contrasting and comparing the Oilers to AIMCo.Both have “monopolies”, both are accountable to stakeholders, and both don’t have to worry about money flowing in, and both are the only game in town in their respective fields. Over the same period (AIMCo founded in 2008, Katz buying the OIL also in 2008) these two unique Edmonton institutions have evolved (well one devolved, the other knocks it out of park).AIMCo can’t really “fail”, from a gathering of assets perspective, given the lack of competition, and who they represent, yet they have developed into world-class asset managers.The OIL don’t have any competition, and have always sold out, yet they have developed into a Mickey Mouse organization…I will put on my teenager, know it all Hockey Helmet, and add to it my adult finance Helmet, to explore the differences in stakeholder accountability in the two, and how Katz could learn from AIMCo.

14. The Full Nelson says:

rich:
    russ99,

So perhaps there is hope for Brad Hunt?

Yes – I hope that he’s playing 4th line center for the Penguins tomorrow.

15. Ryan says:

russ99:

Will be immortalized forever in Oilers history for the Shift of Doom.

Wanna see how far we’ve come in the rebuild, watch that.

Wow. I thought you were fucking with us.

16. rich says:

Yakimov has been injured, is adjusting to the NA game (smaller ice) and is at .375 PPG. Maybe it’s an indictment of the the pipeline that he’s ranked so high right now, but he’s a 20 year old who is finding his game. He just needs time and is going to be alright.

Would sure be nice if the pro scouts could find a few useful players so we aren’t in such a hurry to push kids to the show before they’re ready for it.

17. book¡je says:

Thank goodness you are talking about prospects now. After your last article I was getting all sad and mopey and I was going to donate to the fire Lowe campaign. Now I feel all warm and happy inside because I know the future is going to be wonderful!

18. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: One thing about Yakimov is he spiked a little on the weekend. I don’t disagree with your overall point, but he went 2GP, 1-1-2 with 10 shots on the weekend. He may be finding his way.

I his first game with top 6 minutes he fired 7 shots on goal and was boss. Now with Lander back he will get 3rd line duty again.

book¡je:
    Thank goodness you are talking about prospects now.After your last article I was getting all sad and mopey and I was going to donate to the fire Lowe campaign.Now I feel all warm and happy inside because I know the future is going to be wonderful!

I actually do feel a little guilty. I’ll attempt to disguise my true feelings tomorrow. 🙂

Lowetide: I actually do feel a little guilty. I’ll attempt to disguise my true feelings tomorrow.

Don’t.

Tell the truth.

Very encouraging article. Todd Nelson is a reasonable man

Man I’m going to miss Yak.

22. cabbiesmacker says:

Very encouraging article. Todd Nelson is a reasonable man

Makes zero sense to me. If you’re going to appoint an interim coach let him coach and implement his own systems instead of meddling ffs. Clueless.

23. SwedishPoster says:

Lowetide: The KHL, man. I’m not kidding. It is a WEIRD place for young players.

Seniority and politics seems to be holding a lot of clot in the KHL. If you’re payed top rubel you’ll almost always get the nod over younger players. Every time I see Ufa Slepyshev looks like he belongs in the top 6, to me he’s a far better player than Harti who gets the silverspoon minutes every game. The positive side of this is that a youngling will learn to battle for his toi.
    Slepyshev is an intriguing player, he’s got some twoway ability to go with soft hands and a great shot. From what I’ve seen he prefers lw, playing on his off side, so the Oilers will probably force him to play rw because they’re smarter than everyone. Anyway, to me he’s already a far better player than Houck, Roy and Platzer and his game should translate well to NA ice.
    In wjc I remember noticing similarities between him and Filip Forsberg, Filip was stronger and better overall but both were great at controlling the puck. I’ve seen that ability in the KHL as well but he needs to get stronger to be able to fight off the d.

24. RMGS says:

Very encouraging article. Todd Nelson is a reasonable man

cabbiesmacker: Yeah he is. Can you think of one good reason for Macdinosaur to be behind the bench at this point? It’s not like he needs to do player assessments in advance of the big trade he’s going to pull the trigger on.

Well, it’s going to be tough for MacT go upstairs now! Have to wait for a loss.

RMGS: LT – I believe you wrote once or twice that you would never forgive the Oilers if they ruined Yak. Apologies if my memory fails me, but if you do hold that position, how close are you to reaching that point?

It’s part of my issue with MacT currently. Schultz and Yakupov aren’t progressing and the team is handling them differently. I understand the lack of D but Schult’s position (RH D) is one of the deeper spots on the team. It’s a strange way.

27. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Woodguy: “I don’t want to make something crazy, or start to worry about it, or hit the walls with my head about it.

Man I’m going to miss Yak.

Me, too.

I don’t know how you see anything encouraging in that article, LT. I get what you are saying about Nelson, but for Yak, I think lip service now is too little, too late. I know Nelson sees it as his first look at Yak and he will work on things with him, but it’s just like when Eakins preached patience in his exit interview because MacT and he hadn’t been on the job long. Well, Yak’s been here nearly 3 years now and clearly his spirit is broken. Nelson can say what he likes, but it may already be too late.

I hate the Oilers for this. I really do. It’s the number one thing they’ve done that makes me hate management in this 2007- era. I have almost as much hate for how they’ve put Taylor Hall in a position to have become clear second fiddle to Tyler Seguin, “hands down the better player.” Ugh. Shouldn’t have ever gotten this bad.

28. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

I will ask it again here. Who takes the fall for Moroz?

29. Pouzar says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    I will ask it again here. Who takes the fall for Moroz?

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    I will ask it again here. Who takes the fall for Moroz?

I think one should wait till next January a year from now before declaring Moroz a bust. Remember he is a guy who may be capable of playing with skill players, but not generating on his own. So it is not surprising that progress in OKC is going to be slow. #StartingFromTheBottom

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    I will ask it again here. Who takes the fall for Moroz?

No one. They knew they were drafting a guy out of order but he was ranked top 60.

32. Pouzar says:

Meanwhile….guess who sits at 13th in league PDO? 🙂

33. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Pouzar: Thought he played his best game by a wide margin last time out. Looked really good.

Didn’t see his last game. Thanks.

godot10,

Not calling him a bust yet.

This is closer to what I was getting at. Case of smartest men in the room taking a guy too high. His player type is always slower to develop, but man, outside the top 17? Ouch. I guess he is coming next or one after at the latest?

Someone should be answering for this decision, but I guess there is no one to answer to on it.

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Didn’t see his last game. Thanks.

godot10,

Not calling him a bust yet.

I think you could make a strong case that the Oilers drafted for need. Is that on MacGregor? Don’t know. The GM may have said ‘we need a big winger who can bang and crash” because that was a stated need at the time.

It’s a witch hunt now so it’ll be MacGregor but we’ll probably never know the dynamic.

35. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

I wholeheartedly agree that Stu will probably take the fall for the witch hunt that begins and ends with the “3 total goals by Oiler 2nd round picks other than Rieder since 2007” or whatever that stat was that has been making the rounds in the MSM nationally.

Edit- wasn’t saying Stu should take the fall per se. I think the buck should stop further up the food chain. But sht rolls down hill as they say. Or they could just blame Tambo again for this one.

36. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Pouzar:
    Meanwhile….guess who sits at 13th in league PDO?

37. Pouzar says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: I’m all for schadenfreude, but gosh the beautiful province of Alberta staring at 7 and 9 game losing streaks at the same time? Man. If only the Oilers hadn’t gone one win for a quarter of the season, some us who made bets with Flames fans would still have hope at this point of passing them!

Maybe they can play Rock/Paper/Scissors Saturday night instead?

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL": I think you could probably make a very strong case Stu was instructed to select the best power winger available, I don’t disagree.

I wholeheartedly agree that Stu will probably take the fall for the witch hunt that begins and ends with the “3 total goals by Oiler 2nd round picks other than Rieder since 2007″ or whatever that stat was that has been making the rounds in the MSM nationally.

Yep. He’s in ‘a hell of a spot’ to quote Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

39. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Lowetide: Yep. He’s in ‘a hell of a spot’ to quote Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

LOVE that movie. But we could also tie in MacBethvish with the blood on his hands, “Out, damn’d spot! Out, I say!”

40. Pouzar says:

Flames with 8 shots on goal.

.864 Save %….PDhO ho ho!

41. cabbiesmacker says:

Lowetide: Well, it’s going to be tough for MacT go upstairs now! Have to wait for a loss.

This is a BS exercise and I can’t believe Todd Nelson let himself get set up this way. Did MacTavish promise him no worse than an assistant position when he does hire the next anointed one?

Zero plan. Zero clue. Fire another one via skype Mr Class.

42. Pouzar says:

Curtis Hamilton has 16 points in 27 games tying his career high from last year (43 games played).

43. cabbiesmacker says:

Pouzar:
    Flames with 8 shots on goal.

.864Save %….PDhO ho ho!

That bad and still 16 points and +37 goal differential ahead of the Oilers. Things are tough down there right now but damn. Theres shitty and then theres runaway trains of ineptitude.

They were smart enough to 86 their GM problem too. We get speeches rife with pass the buck instead.

44. Pouzar says:

Laurent Brossoit has 8 wins in 14 games with a 2.44 GAA and a .923 Save %.

45. Black Frank (the dog) says:

cabbiesmacker: Heh? He shouldn’t have been there for even One game LT. Bad optics and reeks of a man who doesn’t have a clue how to get things back on track. either leave Eakins there and gut out the rest of the season, take the reins over yourself….and gut out the rest of the season, or appoint a new guy and see what he can do with this band of misfits.

Zero plan. Zero clue. Fire another one via skype Mr Class.

I respect that

46. dangilitis says:

Dubnyk has record of 6-3-2 and SPG .919 puts him tied for 14th in the league. Replacing Mike Smith with his 5-14-2 record and 0.889 SPG heading into tonight, both of which will take a further hit.

1. Coaches and GMs are stubborn league-wide when it comes to the notion of a starting goalie, rather than playing the hot hand. I would love to see some data as to how many games a team will throw away because of honouring egos. There are very few elite goalies who prove season in and season out that they are the best on their team, and the rest should have no job security.
    2. Dubnyk will soon be the #1 goalie on Arizona, giving them a season nearly identical to the one he gave Edmonton before he was skewered and sent away for a 4th line grinder earning 3 million a year, I believe
    3. Scrivens and Fasth have a similar SPG, winning percentage and shootout SPG. Picking the goalie on any given night should be the least important roster decision this coach/GM should be making. Deploying the D and F, as well as deciding which should be recalled would be far more important for winning games.
    4. If I had a choice between 2 near identically performing goalies, one who has truly played well for this team in the past for a decent stretch of games and has put the onus on himself for his performance, or another who has done shit for this team, and yells at his teammates on the bench to deflect blame away from his own shitty performance… now, is this really even a newsworthy decision?

47. Pouzar says:

dangilitis,

Weak sauce man. Get the facts straight if yer gonna slag on the guy.

48. Really? says:

It is incredible to me that anyone is even remotely satisfied with the draft results of the Oilers since the start of this re-build. Aside from their first picks (Hall – 1st, RNH – 1st, Yakupov – 1st, Nurse – 7th and Draisaitl – 3rd) they have accomplished nothing. I venture to guess that almost any fan who regularly frequents this site would have done at least as well as the Oiler brain trust in selecting in these spots.

When drafting late in the first round they have acquired Eberle – 22nd, which was a good pick and Klefbom – 16th? who is still a work in progress. Despite high second and third round draft positioning almost every year, they have nothing to show for their efforts. Our pipeline of talent is almost non existent when it should be loaded with young players at almost every position.

When you consider the level of pain these draft positions represent for the Oiler fans who support this team, the incompetence displayed is inexcusable. As for MacT, he claims that deals are hard to make. Of course they are, that is why he gets paid a substantial salary. I only hope starts earning it.

49. dangilitis says:

Pouzar:
    dangilitis,

Weak sauce man. Get the facts straight if yer gonna slag on the guy.

You have no clue how strong my sauce is…
    Oh, you’re implying I don’t have my facts straight, is that it?

Is it that I got his salary wrong, which is why I qualified it with “I believe”? Perhaps you don’t realize that 1.85 million is too much for a 4th line winger to be earning, just as 3 million is too much?
    Or perhaps, you missed the gist of the obvious suggestion that was more directed at the ineptitude of management rather than a “slag” on Hendricks. The suggestion that we didn’t have to waste any bullets to acquire Scrivens and Fasth, who have been barely able to provide replacement goaltending options for Devan fucking Dubnyk, who we had for free after developing painfully. And they are going to make the same mistake with Petry.

I’d love to understand what makes you the determinant of strong sauce, but if you can’t appreciate the comments for what they are, maybe reading and then clarifying will help you. That is, if you care to have an intelligent dialogue, which seems like a big if for someone who responds with shit that my teenage cousins spew…

50. Hammers says:

Arizona will be pissed tomorrow night after the Canucks game .5-1 van

51. Black Frank (the dog) says:

Hammers:
    Arizona will be pissed tomorrow night after the Canucks game .5-1 van

Oilers will be pissed about their last loss. Should be a good game.

52. cabbiesmacker says:

Black Frank (the dog): If you listened to what Nelson and MacT have said, MacT has stepped in to help give Nelson a soft landing under difficult circumstances. He’s put his money where his mouth is by taking on the most unpleasant of roles in kick starting a moribund offense that scored 5 goals last time out.
    I respect that

And MacTavish is a noted offense builder now? Just get out of the way already. Nelson’s perfectly capable of wringing wins out of shitty lineups. He’s been working with Oiler management acquisitions in OK for 4 years now. No soft landings required.

It’s also proof positive that this team gets coached the way management, not the guy standing behind the bench, wants it coached and that’s worked pretty well the past few years.

“Welcome to the company Jim. We brought you on board to get us turned in the right direction and breathe some new life into a sinking ship BUT, we’re gonna stand right behind you looking over your shoulder, making sure you do things the way we’ve always done them. We have a reputation to uphold afterall.” Brilliantly Bold.

53. cabbiesmacker says:

Black Frank (the dog): Oilers will be pissed about their last loss. Should be a good game.

54. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Pouzar:
    Meanwhile….guess who sits at 13th in league PDO?

Man, I had a feeling you were going to jinx it. Johnny F’ing Hockey (spits). More points than any Oiler. Just adds to the humiliation of this season.

55. PhrankLee says:

I would like to see them pissed off. Just once. It hasnt happened yet. It would be the first step toward controlling the play on the ice.

56. sliderule says:

It shouldn’t surprise anyone that Mact went behind the bench with Nelson.

He was micromanaging Eakins from the press box for most of last year and all of this year.

This micromanaging was partly in response to a lot of his GM work being micromanaged by Lowe.

If you don’t beleive this then you don’t know the oilers.

57. Dark Asia says:

Exactly – anyone who doesn’t see Mr. 6 Rings fingerprints all over this dumpster fire of a franchise is simply ignoring reality. Nothing changes until the boys on the bus are driven off a steep cliff into oblivion and are let nowhere near the day to day operations of the team.

sliderule:
    It shouldn’t surprise anyone that Mact went behind the bench with Nelson.

This micromanaging was partly in response toa lot of his GM work being micromanaged by Lowe.

If you don’t beleive this then you don’t know the oilers.

58. Ryan says:

Dark Asia,

The funny thing about the Calgary rebuild aside from their lucky start is that they really haven’t made any blockbuster trades or signings. However, they didn’t hire a coach without NHL experience or spend three draft picks on 2 sub replacement level goalers. They also didn’t hand out a $9 million dollar contract to Nikitin or try to handcuff the franchise with Clarkson.

The positives of Mact’s work isn’t nearly enough to counter balance the egregious errors nor terrible drafting.

59. Pouzar says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

WHAT.THE.F^CK.

Sorry. Jezzuz. Gord hates us all.

60. Ca$h-Money! says:

Ryan:
    Dark Asia,

The funny thing about the Calgary rebuild aside from their lucky start is that they really haven’t made any blockbuster trades or signings.However, they didn’t hire a coach without NHL experience or spend three draft picks on 2 sub replacement level goalers.They also didn’t hand out a $9 million dollar contract to Nikitin or try to handcuff the franchise with Clarkson.

Nikitin @ 9 over 2 is roughly equal to Engelland @ 9 over 3. Difference here is that Calgary has the cap space to absorb the move more effectively than does Edmonton, but in terms of the reasonableness of the two bets I prefer the shorter term and the fact that at least Nikitin has reasonable (relative) upside.

But otherwise their Goalie moves have turned out to be more effective, and their coach does seem to know what he’s doing.

And it’s hard not to cheer for Johnny Hockey, if I’m being honest.

61. Black Frank (the dog) says:

cabbiesmacker: He’s never coached these players so how does he provide a soft landing? Is he talking contracts as he stands back there? Instead they get to have a guy standing behind them that’s made and is making more moves that keep the team stagnant.

“Welcome to the company Jim. We brought you on board to get us turned in the right direction and breathe some new life into a sinking ship BUT, we’re gonna stand right behind you looking over your shoulder, making sure you do things the way we’ve always done them. We have a reputation to uphold afterall.”Brilliantly Bold.

If I was Todd Nelson I’d prefer MacT handling my offense over Acton any day of any week while I got up to speed on everything else. Soft landing = not hanging Nelson out to dry. It’s the right thing to do.

62. Black Frank (the dog) says:

cabbiesmacker: A couple more weeks and they can be pissed at pretty much every team they play then.

That too.

63. ZDENO'S CIGAR says:

Seems like Mact will have the team coached his way no matter what, why else would he be on the bench now other than to instruct Nelson on how he wants things done.

64. Ryan says:

Ca$h-Money!: Nikitin @ 9 over 2 is roughly equal to Engelland @ 9 over 3.Difference here is that Calgary has the cap space to absorb the move more effectively than does Edmonton, but in terms of the reasonableness of the two bets I prefer the shorter term and the fact that at least Nikitin has reasonable (relative) upside.

And it’s hard not to cheer for Johnny Hockey, if I’m being honest.

The more I think about it, the two biggest mistakes mact made were his coaching hire and the goalie debacle.

If we could go back in time…have Mact fire Krueger then go out and hire an actual NHL coach. Didn’t have to Babcock or Hitchcock… Just someone with a reasonable amount of NHL head coaching experience who wasn’t too long in the tooth or far removed from the gig. Not a world-beater, just an actual NHL coach.

The maybe we don’t see the swarm defense tear apart Dubnyk… 3 draft picks traded for two below average goalies… Or maybe you just do the Scrivens deal since it was cheaper and keep Doobie as the backup to ride out the year…

Who knows? All I know is that if you do the math… This is a math blog isn’t it…? 🙂

We have what Devan Doobie + 3 draft picks headed out for a 4rth liner and two mediocre back up goalies… Not. Good.