OILERS AT FLAMES G36, 2014-15

The Christmas break done, it’s time for the Oilers to stumble, tumble and bumble to the official halfway point of the season. Tonight they’ll show up play in Calgary against the Flames and if the goalie is wobbly this could be over by 8:30. Such is the Saturday night forecast for the current Oilers fan.

FASTH TRAIN

fasth capture

Matty says Fasth which made sense miles ago, this is actually a smart decision. Let Ben relax for another few days and bring him in during the week, while also giving Fasth a chance to start two of three. There’s no reason I can see to prefer one goalie over the other—hell I’m starting to think Brossoit deserves a start at some point this winter.

• Jim Matheson: Oilers defenceman Nikita Nikitin (back) could return to the lineup Saturday. He was hurt in Winnipeg after absorbing an Evander Kane hit on Dec. 3. If he’s deemed ready, the Oilers will have to send a blue-liner — Brad Hunt or Keith Aulie — to their Oklahoma City farm team … Winger Matt Hendricks (ill), who missed the Arizona loss, could be back. Source

So there are a few lineup issues to ponder this morning. I would really like to see Hendricks back—the club badly needs that 4line to get back to work—and if Nikitin is healthy and has his motor skills he should be an upgrade on at least one LHD. I’ll bet the Oilers send Aulie back but we wait.

REBUILD ALBERTA: THE TORTOISE AND THE UH, OTHER TORTOISE

yak draft

Lots of chatter going ’round about the brilliant rebuild taking place in Calgary. According to some, this Flames team is pretty much wrapping up the rebuild and can move on to planning the parade. Before we proceed with hammering out the names on our friend Stanley, let’s have a quick peak at a few things.

When we talk about the future, it’s impossible to avoid projecting current players into that future exactly as they are now. Our mind’s eye tricks us into believing—no, that’s not strong enough—adopting as gospel things that are simply not proven at this time. For instance, this article implies that signing Deryk Engelland was a solid plan and that Martin Marincin is part of a failed draft system going back many years. How many of us truly believe that to be true? Do you believe Martin Marincin’s NHL career is over? Do you believe Engelland is key to Calgary’s rebuild?

I’ve heard many good things about Josh Jooris this fall and none about Nail Yakupov and part of the brain adopts that as gospel now, but assumes it will be same until the end of time.

The truth is a new reality shows up every day. During the time off someone on the Oilers said ‘to hell with this noise’ and decided to commit themselves to what the coach is saying. Or some time after the trade freeze is lifted Edmonton will find a small piece (or a big one) that aids in moving the ball forward.

Nail Yakupov the Edmonton forward isn’t a failure until the Oilers give up on him, and if they do the failure belongs to the team, not the player.  The Nail Yakupov asset, the large slab of gold procured in 2012, is still there more or less. The only way to completely devalue it? Trade it for Josh Jooris.

We know this to be true. The trick? Remembering that truth.

yakupov100 The rebuilds in Calgary and Edmonton look a certain way this morning but we know (we really do) that a year from now it will be different. We remember. We remember. And we kind of laugh at ourselves, because how stupid we’ve been forgetting that one major thing that changes the entire equation.

Then the phone rings and a shot goes in from center ice and it’s that damn Josh Jooris scoring on the Oilers from center ice!

Trade them all!

Bastards!

We need to remind ourselves there was a time when Guy Lafleur was a failure, when Denis Potvin’s team won 19 games, when Charlie Simmer couldn’t get a job. We need to remember that Nail Yakupov is 21 years old.

CRAIG MACTAVISH

On his ‘eyeball-to-eyeball’ tour it would be a grand idea for MacT to remember some of these kids are, well, kids. Any number of them could kick his reputation around North America for the next 15 years. This is a dangerous time to wear a suit in the name of the Edmonton Oilers.

I don’t think Nail Yakupov will be here in October.

TODD NELSON

Todd Nelson can do the Edmonton Oilers and their fans a helluva favor by unlocking the Russian’s gifts. From what we know Yakupov is available (Islanders rumors running rampant) but the young man isn’t gone until the paperwork has been filed. Nelson played Yak 16:21 on December 23 and the Russian had four shots on goal. If the minutes continue and the shot total rises, then sooner or later the puck goes in. Nail Yakupov was born to fill the net and if Todd Nelson solves this riddle he could be coach for longer than six months.

Tonight could be a big night, in a good way. Godspeed, men.

320 Responses to "OILERS AT FLAMES G36, 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. GCW_69 says:

verdad2.0:
    Can we all hope thatMacTavish is fired before the start of the second period starts?
    An utter incompetent.

If Draisatl isn’t the most lost lamb in hockey history I don’t know you is.

MacTavish responsible for the travesty of having him in the line-up.

We could go on with all of the other inept moves and excuses.

Rushing Yak worked so well, what could possibly go wrong rushing Leon?

Brandon Davidson from Anton Lander and the Barons win.

3. Dee Dee says:

What about firing the guy that HIRED MacTavish?

4. flyfish1168 says:

GCW_69: This season is exactly what your GM made it.

No accountability from day one from management down

5. hodgkins says:

Heard Craig Anderson’s stats from Ottawa today, .929 SV% and the Senators are still middle of the pack team.

I know LT has said it, but it is the goaltending that is truly burying this team. A legit goalie would do wonders, but then again, so would a competent defense.

6. russ99 says:

Dee Dee,

Spot on.

IMO, it’s possible MacT could do a good job in a normal organization, but look at his support system – scouting blows because it’s riddled with lifetime hires, he’s saddled with inept old boy assistants brought upstairs and Howson, which is indefensible given his track record in Columbus.

All enabled by how Lowe runs hockey operations.

7. VanOil says:

hodgkins:
    Remind me of what the rationale is behind Hunt-Schultz as a pairing?What am I missing?

Decisions made by the last man to play professional hockey without a helmet are not for mortals to understand.

8. striatic says:

The Edmonton Oilers cannot be allowed to draft Connor McDavid.

I don’t care if the NHL has to rig the lottery, but Edmonton Oilers cannot be allowed to get their mitts on a generational talent.

The function of a seeded draft is to be good for the game as a whole by breeding parity, but the Edmonton Oilers have demonstrated over half a decider more that it does the reverse. It incentivizes teams to be bad, often intentionally so, to acquire promising talent, use that talent for marketing purposes, yet continue to be bad in order to perpetuate the cycle.

9. SK Oiler Fan says:

I haven’t watched for 5 or 6 games, just too busy with kids, but tell me how this team gets worse every period they play? Disturbing. There can’t be 21 players with no pride. every one of theses guys careers are being damaged. Just do it for yourself dammit. And fk, I was OK with the MacT hire, but fk, he should be fired for Drysadle in the lineup past game 9 let alone not letting him go to world Jr’s.
    Mngmt deserves every criticism thrown their way
    I need another rum

10. nez29 says:

This is the end, my newfound friend…
    I’m so glad I spent 880 to be a first-tier fan this year. Luckily I can sell my next tickets to my brother-in-law for less than cost, since meth doesn’t cost that much….
    anyone wanna buy the other 5 games I’ve got left?
    ba-ba-ba-ba
    ba-ba-ba-ba-ba I wanna be sedated
    perhaps need to be sedated?
    Feck me!

11. GCW_69 says:

russ99:
    Dee Dee,

Spot on.

All enabled by how Lowe runs hockey operations.

You don’t think MacT had say in Howson’s hiring? That goes against the narrative. You don’t think he could have changed out the scouts if he wanted to? That goes against the narrative. MacT is in charge. Anyone reporting to the GM is there because the GM wants them to be there.

12. TemujinBC says:

“Describe what your confidence is like”

Boy, these hard hitting intermission interviews are sure fascinating.

Yergh

13. PunjabiOil says:

MacT is the same guy that told Eakins he wants Bucky and Steve Smith as his assistants without directly saying it.

14. GCW_69 says:

flyfish1168: No accountability from day one from management down

Fire them all to be safe. Burn the fucking thing right to the ground. It’s our only hope.

15. G Money says:

striatic,

The problem with your reasoning is that the draft offers the opportunity to achieve parity, but isn’t nearly enough to allow for it. If the league was serious about parity, it would equalize the travel schedules of the teams and allow the northern outposts a discount against the cap, among other things.

If the consequence of managerial incompetence is to remove the idea that poor teams draft high, which is what the league has been doing, it punishes the fans moreso than the management.

16. jzed says:

Our D is the softest pile of horse shit. Schultz//Hunt are cowardly. Do I expect Pronger like play? No, just stand up and play the man, finish your checks, basic defenseman play. Bench Schultz and send Hunt back to his league. At this point, bring up Musil and Marincin. I know with Musil I’ll hear foot speed, foot speed , but he DEFENDS and HITS. We desperately need some D with balls .

17. danny says:

Woah woah woah. This wench that has been harassing Eberle on the ATB commercials is also accosting Giordano?

I don’t know what to believe anymore.

18. russ99 says:

Ducks goalie Andersen is the first I’ve seen faked out on a shootout chance by a broken off stick blade.

19. Zelepukin says:

hodgkins:

I know LT has said it, but it is the goaltending that is truly burying this team.A legit goalie would do wonders, but then again, so would a competent defense.

I don’t completely buy that at all. We equally give up prime scoring opportunities that not many goalies would have a chance on and tonight is a prime example of that. 2 break-aways and a bad bounce with a n extra push of Jultzing to guarantee it a goal.

20. jake70 says:

I’ve figured it out. Jultz has been taken over by the pods from the body snatcher universe. Distant, and devoid of all human emotion. May explain the seemingly permanent haze.

21. striatic says:

GCW_69,

Nuke it from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

22. PunjabiOil says:

Schultz//Hunt are cowardly.

Schultz, ideally, should have been moved in the summer when it was clear he wasn’t pushing the river.

Hunt, not Marincin, should be in the minors.

Stupid is as stupid does.

23. danny says:

Once an Oiler, always is a word in the english dictionary.

24. G Money says:

OK, I”m going back to trying to finish off Breaking Bad, which I’ve been trying to do for six months now…

My final question is – what kind of PP setup has Yak dipsy doodling in the slot while Draisaitl shoots, instead of the other way round? That’s the second time I’ve seen that.

25. Captain's Log says:

jzed:

No. This season is done. I might watch 6 more games all year so I don’t care if they even look competitive. Let Musil and Marincin play well in OKC so that when the Oilers upper upper management (Katz) goes scorched earth on things they are ready to join the team next year.

26. striatic says:

G Money: MacT, Katz, Lowe, etc. may not deserve to get within 1000 km of McDavid, but no fanbase deserves to watch him more than the Oiler fanbase. Period end stop.

Oilers fans can watch McDavid in some other city.

The sad truth is that “Connor McDavid on the Oilers” would not be “Connor McDavid” and that he would not be any more enjoyable for Oilers fans to watch than would some waiver wire pick up. Might even be less enjoyable due to the knowing guilt that your fandom is in part responsible for denying a planet of hockey fans the opportunity to see a generational talent actually be a generational talent.

27. book¡je says:

Competent goaltending would mask how terrible this management team is. Thank goodness the Oilers don’t have 0.924 goaltending.

MacT is running the same repetitive ‘shot from the point’ power play that he did as coach. Remove all creativity – pass it around and eventually get the guy to take a shot from the centre of the blue line. Repeat.

Schultz – Hunt continue to roll out there with Marincin in the AHL.

Honestly, the best thing Todd Nelson could do for his career right now is ask to be sent back to the AHL. In future interviews for real coaching jobs he can just say “The Oilers management asked me to come up and coach the team, but when I got there MacT was coaching the team, so I returned to my AHL position”. There is no hope for him here.

28. russ99 says:

jake70:
    I’ve figured itout.Jultz has been taken over by the pods from the body snatcher universe. Distant, and devoid of all human emotion. May explain the seemingly permanent haze.

Lol!!

Close, more like taken over by the MacTeakins, constantly putting him in situations he can’t handle as if repetitive failure will somehow get it all to sink in. His is the body language of a mentally defeated player.

Btw: where the heck is Craig Ramsey at? I thought he was going to help the defenseman, wouldn’t he speak up and say what an awful idea Schultz-Hunt, Schultz-Nikitin or Schultz-Ference is? And why he keeps getting ridiculous ice time?

He’ll never get better if they insist on making him do heavy lifting on D by pairing him with a guy who either can’t defend or can’t skate, or both.

29. Surly says:

Only the Oilers could find a way to have 2 defensemen without a stick at the same time.

30. frjohnk says:

PunjabiOil:
    After seeing Draisatl on that last power play, we can conclude is the worst waste of a draft choice in Oilers history.
    Yet to see any actual offensive instincts from him over 40 games.
    Junior hockey may be his ceiling.
    Come to terms with it.
    Even if MacTavish can’t

Probably a bit unfair.You don’t hit 100 points in your draft year without talent.Young players simply need time to develop.See Lazar, Lindholm, etc.

He’s got to work on his footspeed, and confidence is such a huge element of the game.The Oilers have wasted a half a season of development by playing him in the majors, but can still save the other half by sending him down.

Having that said, I probably would have taken Bennett (though no guarantees he’ll turn out better).

Once I heard that Bennett had that shoulder injury, I knew the oilers picked the wrong guy.

And oilers should have picked Murray not Yak cuz of Murray’s shoulder injury as well

31. jzed says:

The 2 d standing stickless….. One D pair is dickless, another is stickless, what next, Petry and Ference have the mumps?

32. PunjabiOil says:

Sam Reinhart put up 1 point in 9 games, and was sent to the minors.

I really suspect Draisaitl will be sent down. The fact that Bob McKenzie was tweeting about this during pre-season suggests the decision was made back in October

Of course as Bruce as alluded to, they are playing with fire in the event Draisaitl gets injured.

33. GCW_69 says:

Katz fails to understand that owning a professional sports franchise is a form of public trust. He had a responsibility to the community to run the franchise with at least a moderate degree of competence.

He clearly is the worst owner in hockey, and must be one of the worst in professional sports.

34. frjohnk says:

On the bright side, our corsi when trailing by 2 or more is almost 55%.

So games like this I expect oilers to pad their corsi stats.

But pretty sure Hillier won’t break a sweat

35. flyfish1168 says:

Hunt or Arco can do them selves a favor by taking out johnny yahoo

36. Pouzar says:

Bruce McCurdy: See you on Jan 4, Pouzar. That’s my bet, anyway. In the meantime. I hope you stick around the comments section here. I always value your input.

Thanks for the kind words Bruce.

Just got back from the in-laws at yet another Xmas party. I was the sober one for a change.
    So I just checked the score….noticed Scrivens was in net and shut the TV off. Time to catch up on my twitter feeds and comments here. Should be golden. Gotta grab a glass of vino!

37. nez29 says:

GCW_69:
    Katz fails to understand that owning a professional sports franchise is a form of public trust.He had a responsibility to the community to run the franchise with at least a moderate degree of competence.

True, that. Do you suppose he’s taken lessons from Donald Sterling on how to alienate a devoted fanbase in a sports-crazed city? Why weren’t we outraged after the Seatlle/Hamilton roadshows? Who sells flaming torches and catapults?

38. danny says:

Can anyone expand on what CBC just mentioned regarding Ference saying (I’m paraphrasing) ” in the NHL you should never need a few days off” or something like that?

Seems like a direct response to Hall saying the break might be nice and what everyone needs to get things going. (Again paraphrased)

39. frjohnk says:

danny:

No. I think it was that ference was implying that the days off are nice but what the oilers need are a few wins.

danny:

I don’t think it was a response, iirc they happened basically at the same time (in response to the ARI loss).

41. striatic says:

At least Edmonton Oilers versus Score Effects is a consistently fair fight.

42. Pouzar says:

Brandon Davidson from Anton Lander and the Barons win.

If only there was an NHL team these guys could help.

43. jzed says:

Calgary on autopilot , unwilling to pile it on for fear that Katz senses a …. nadir , and decides to fire all his buddies. Fuck you Phlegms.

44. rich says:

Get home from the Phil v Nash game in time to catch the 2nd period and this one is already over.

Pathetic. P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C.

Can’t thank Lowe-MacT-Howson enough for another brutal game. You guys just make watching my favorite team such a pleasure.

Mr. Katz, can’t thank you enough for enabling them. Why don’t you just sell the team so we can get an owner who won’t put a bunch of incompetents in charge. Please.

45. verdad2.0 says:

The Flames quite trying and the Oilers remained utterly ineffectual.

One could itemize the various deficiencies of this team, player by player.

But I think we call know that when a competent POHO is installed most of this team will be gutted.

Wish it were otherwise.

46. TemujinBC says:

That human bowling intermission show looks pretty entertaining.

So that’s something.

47. jzed says:

“Edmonton trending in a positive way…. ” The Oil sure do make the commentators and play by play people work hard at their bullshitting.

48. edoil1 says:

Smartest reporter(John McKinnon) and question asked prior to the latest demise of the latest rebuild,He had it nailed,How can an inept management group fix their own problem’s.In any other sport or business has this happened?Doubt it,and why keep deflecking blame,the public is smart they know what’s going on,this is not the CIA,this is a hockey team.Put a hard working proud hockey team on the ice or resign,we deserve at least that,a few wins too.End of rant

Nuge gets his 10th from Schultz and Ference, I don’t think it stays. Schultz will get the goal.

50. VanOil says:

The Oilers Corsi #s tonight are likely comparable with Petry in the Box or on the Bench.

51. RexLibris says:

As of this writing the Edmonton Oilers are ten points back of the 27th and 26th place teams in the National Hockey League with a goal differential one greater than the heavily handicapped Buffalo Sabres.

For those wanting a change of administration with this franchise, this season thus far represents the greatest possible opportunity to date.

52. Gerta Rauss says:

Yeah, it hit a couple of Calgary skates

The Oilers will get 1 more here and then an empty net flurry will come up 1 short, but just enough to give us that moral victory

53. teddyturnbuckle says:

Nuge getting his clock cleaned in the face off dot again.

54. Gerta Rauss says:

Gerta Rauss: Yeah, it hit a couple of Calgary skates

or not

55. rich says:

Memo to Jack Michaels:

End of comeback.

Couldn’t have come from a better guy to, Glencross. You know, the guy that our POHO couldn’t be bothered with because he wanted to go whale hunting.

56. book¡je says:

You know what bloggers across the Oilohosphere agree upon – Schultz-Hunt is a terrible idea and Marincin would be a better option than either.

57. JonyPro says:

Why the fudge didn’t they sign Glencross?!!!!

58. RexLibris says:

Now, I’m not watching the game, but the TSN ticker would suggest the Oilers gave up a short-handed goal whilst on a 5-3 powerplay.

How is that possible?

Seriously. That seems to be on a level of incompetence hitherto only read about in old folktales.

59. Gerta Rauss says:

rich,

I was sure they had Hossa locked up…sure of it…they just needed to shore up the goaltending first

60. VanOil says:

Please Please McNelson play;

Marincin-Petry
    Kelfbom-Fayne
    Ference-Davidson/Musil

For one game this season, preferably the next one against Calgary. Don’t worry the goalies will keep you in the McJebus hunt.

61. nez29 says:

Nice d-zone coverage there. Maybe the Oilers are a sort of civic-boosting project? You know–no matter how bad a day you’re having, or how incompetent you think your superiors are, there’s the Oilers.
    #becauseOilers

62. Captain's Log says:

You know the Oilers have lost the attention of their fans when posts are coming a minute a part rather than several per minute

63. Gerta Rauss says:

RexLibris,

nah…even strength, just more tom foolery

64. verdad2.0 says:

Can we all now agree that MacTavish should never despoil the ranks of the Edmonton OIlers ever again.
    Anyone who promotes Schultz and Draisatl to the ranks of NHL players, just as one example, should be fired.
    The fourth goal just scored by the Flames is a classic example of inept players that should never have been in the NHL.
    A real GM would have either flushed them out long ago or never wasted the draft choice in the first place.

And as an adjunct, can Taylor Hall ever play the game to win? Its not about just yourself..

65. RexLibris says:

Gerta Rauss:
    RexLibris,

nah…even strength, just more tom foolery

I think you mean Tom Gilberty. Let’s stick to the traditional goats, please.

Thank you for the clarification, although, giving up a SHG on a 5-3 would be very BecauseOilers, would it not?

66. jzed says:

at least Pitlick knocked a phlegm on his ass. Baby steps

Hall trying to block a shot with his face is not something I’d like to see in a lost game.

68. flyfish1168 says:

schultz is such an outstanding defensmen.

69. rich says:

Nelson looked like he wished he was anywhere but there on the bench next to MacT.

70. verdad2.0 says:

Its one thing to dream that Schultz would be just sent away.
    But who is the incompetent that believed that he can play defense?

This is so obvious.

It doesn’t justfiy rationalizing.

71. teddyturnbuckle says:

Hiller doesn’t have a drop of sweat on him on that close up.

72. pocession charge says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Woodguy,

Woodguy, I hate to do this, but after the Arizona game and you said this has to be the low, I said, no way, we’ve all got to stop calling the nadir. It only gets worse when we do. So uh, yeah. Stop it!

No this is certainly the nadir.

The nadir is not a single game, but the entire season. It is not really possible to get much worse. DFL, players performing worse than ever, fans apathetic.

How can this be any worse?

73. book¡je says:

Wow, any day now MacT is going to fire the scouts…

The good news is that the team and players have given up on MacT and Lowe and I have never seen a GM and whatever Kevin Lowe is survive that situation. People are starting to criticise Hall, but honestly, the best thing that the star players can do at this point is to NOT show up to play. They can’t actually not show up as they would be in breach of contract, but they can stop playing with any effort or heart. Great – don’t give Katz any chance to keep MacT and Lowe.

I felt a lot of the moves made by MacT were defensible over the summer, however, in seeing the promotions/demotions on the team and the deployment of the roster – its clear that MacT is unable to assess players in an objective manner. He has to go.

Nobody would have been more thrilled than me for the team to turn it around and start winning after Eakins was fired (or before), but its simply not possible. He won’t even deploy his best line up when his team is desperate to win. He is not competent.

I hope that the Oilers don’t win a game until he, Lowe and Howson are fired simply because there is no way that this team ever is competitive under them.

74. rich says:

Glad they didn’t score at the end. Didn’t deserve it for another gutless performance.

Only thing I liked in the 3rd was that Hendricks stepped in for Ference. Nice to see.

Goodbye Klowe
    Goodbye Howson
    Goodbye MacT
    It’s time for you to go

75. pocession charge says:

striatic:
    The true nadir will be next season when they are just as bad [or worse] in the publicly subsidized arena.

Still at the Rex next year….but they’ll still be awful.

76. Gerta Rauss says:

pocession charge: How can this be any worse?

Craig MacTavish can trade Taylor Hall at the draft for Milan Lucic

/cynic

77. Gerta Rauss says:

deleted

78. edoil1 says:

I don’t post often,but now it almost feel’s like the twilight zone to me,after being a fan since Edmonton Garden’s WHA day’s and the Cup’s and the pre salary cap years,who would have predicted such a bad situation.Feel sorry for the young guy’s hung out to dry they deserve better.We had crappy team’s in the past,but none had 3 no1 draft pick’s,Why is Mct behind the bench?to further piss off his players that he gave an inept coach to start with?They are in the I /don’t give a fuck/Iwant out of here mode already.Go on the TSN website the fan’s are feeling sorry for oiler fan’s/laughing at our management group.
    My solution draft a centre,pay big for a real goalie,trade 2 or 3 wingers for another center and D.The (modern)Edmonton Oilers the only team in NHL history to try to build with friggin winger’s.

79. Dee Dee says:

pocession charge: No this is certainly the nadir.

The nadir is not a single game, but the entire season.It is not really possible to get much worse.DFL, players performing worse than ever, fans apathetic.

How can this be any worse?

Don’t give these guys any ideas.

Coach Messier, coach Buchberger.

Trading away players to ensure the tank and putting some of those people that scrape the ice with shovels during the break on the roster.

Putting a Sea Lion in net.

Lots and lots of ways they could get worse.

80. Younger Oil says:

I know this record is probably impossible to find, but does anyone know what the longest stretch of games with only one win is in the shootout era?

21 games (and counting) seems like it would be up there.

More than a quarter of the season, with only one win.

Fun fact: We have the exact same number of points that Buffalo had after 36 games last year. Except they had 9 wins compared to our 7.

For those wondering, after 36 games last season the Oilers had 11 wins and 25 points after 36 games. And we thought that things could never get worse than that.

81. pocession charge says:

Dee Dee: Don’t give these guys any ideas.

Coach Messier, coach Buchberger.

Putting a Sea Lion in net.

Lots and lots of ways they could get worse.

You mean they would finish even more last?

82. pocession charge says:

Dee Dee:

Putting a Sea Lion in net.

This was pretty funny, btw, but the current goalies aren’t too far off. Scrivens kind of flops and lunges in net like he’s patterned his style from watching sea lion videos.

83. Hammers says:

Watched first 9 minutes and the 3 goals against Fasth , then in came Scrivens Then turned it off . Checked in for the final score . My expectation is that Lowe again offers to resign and this time Katz accepts it and that McT lets Nelson take over the sinking ship as of the next game .Eakins maybe the Lucky one .

84. Younger Oil says:

I know that it’s probably too late for many people to see this, but I looked up the last time in NHL history that a team had 7 or less wins after 36 games. The last time a team had a win total this low was the 2001-2002 Atlanta Thrashers, who also had 7 wins for 21 points in 36 games.

85. TemujinBC says:

Might be time to have a Free-For-All Sunday with no deleted posts and no limitations. Title of the blog post: Beware all those who enter here.

So everyone can just let it all out.

86. pocession charge says:

TemujinBC:
    Might be time to have a Free-For-All Sunday with no deleted posts and no limitations.Title of the blog post: Beware all those who enter here.

So everyone can just let it all out.

I sense a classic LT ‘fuck’ wall of text coming up!

87. delooper says:

Had the score on display on my cell phone. Dad’s visiting and we couldn’t bear to watch the game, let alone discuss the Oilers much, or look at Lowetide. We usually watch every Oilers game together whenever we’re in the same town. Came here to check if I missed anything important. Apparently not. 🙁 Sigh.

88. dwillms says:

Younger Oil,

From what I found the 10-11 Islanders went 1-17-3 in a 21 game stretch, and the 09-10 Pat Quinn Oilers went 1-18-2 over 21 games.

89. Oilanderp says:

I have learned over the years to put up with a lot of shit with this team, but if the Oilers trade Yakupov for pennies, I will have to seriously reconsider my allegiance.

I have no real feeling of what that even means as I’ve never before considered it, even through all these tanks…

The day they trade Yakupov for nothing very well might be the day I trade in my 35 years badge.

God damn this team for making me even think about this sort of shit. They had better not fuck it all up. They had better not.

90. Gret99zky says:

This is one of the best posts/threads on this blog recently and I hope to see/read more like it.

Shame, shame, shame on you Edmonton Oilers.

91. dwillms says:

dwillms:
    Younger Oil,

And if you consider over multiple seasons, the Blues went 1-16-5 over 22 games from the end of 05-06 to the first 3 games of 06-07

92. Younger Oil says:

dwillms,

Great work, thanks! So you haven’t found anything greater than 21 games in a single season, or did you just mention the ones that matched 21 games?

93. dwillms says:

Younger Oil,

That’s all I’ve been able to come up with. I know there were longer streaks pre-shootout like the 92-93 Senators going 0-23-1.

But from what I could find, 21 games in a single season was the longest in the shootout era.

Pretty incredible we’ve done it 2 times now the past 6 seasons.

94. G Money says:

The Edmonton Oil Tankers – off the rails again!

95. Walter Sobchak says:

The league needs to step in and take that draft pick away.

as an Oiler fan I am disgusted, as a fan of the game I’m embarrassed.

I consider MacTavish to be the worst GM this team has ever had.

He’s absolutly destroyed the soul of this team………again.

96. bendelson says:

Missed the game tonight.
    While out with friends for dinner, my buddy quietly mentioned it was 3-0 Calgary very early…
    We both laughed, shook ours heads in disgust, then carried on with a nice evening.

Fuck the Oilers.

97. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Really, you’re going to tell me the nadir is this whole season? I respectfully submit that last season was seen by many far smarter than I, as the nadir. I thought I was well on the low end in predicting 80pts for Book!je’s challenge. Here we are and 65pts looks like a dream.

Clean house. Now. Darryl, you’re a presumably smart businessman
    Why are you letting these twenty five years ago losers run your franchise to the ground?

98. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Oilanderp,

You’d better think long and hard of it. It is coming.

99. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Younger Oil,

No, no we didn’t. We knew full well it could get worse. We hoped it wouldn’t but we’d be lying if we said it didn’t at least cross our minds

100. jake70 says:

The 4th goal was killer. Can someone tell me what was going on in Yak’s brain on that sequence?

101. Maverick says:

Just got up early to watch the game on PVR…..I should have stayed in bed. That was not a good effort all around for the Oilers. Too many holes in the roster to even list, I think Bruce was being kind with some of his rating at the Cult.

As this post does revolve around Yakupov, yes he was minus -2 but by my eye most of his shifts were with; 3 rookies and Schultz. Draisaitl, Pitlick, Hunt and then Schultz. If this is the soft minute parade on how to get the best out of Nail, not sure it’s the best plan. I will miss him when he’s traded.

(I’m sure there is a website (Woodguy would find it) that has the TOI and line mates)

102. SwedishPoster says:

Maverick:
    Just got up early to watch the game on PVR…..I should have stayed in bed.That was not a good effort all around for the Oilers.Too many holes in the roster to even list, I think Bruce was being kind with some of his rating at the Cult.

As this post does revolve around Yakupov, yes he was minus -2 but by my eye most of his shifts were with; 3 rookies and Schultz.Draisaitl, Pitlick, Hunt and then Schultz.If this is the soft minute parade on how to get the best out of Nail, not sure it’s the best plan.I will miss him when he’s traded.

Despite those linemates he was one of few Oilers who created anything or had any jump all night.
    Tyler Pitlick is a fourth liner, he can skate and hit but despite a good shot he’s a black hole offensively, no hands, hockey IQ, 4th liner if he improves his D.

The team as a whole needs a shrink, they hate stepping onto that ice, most of them are playing scared.

What they don’t need is the General (micro)Manager standing on the bench trying to be on it. I may be reading something that ain’t there but to me it looked like there was some tension between Nelson and MacT. Nelson was probably thinking ‘get your hands off my NHL chance’. He’s in a tough position Nelson, he knows NHL HC jobs are scarce so he can’t mouth off his boss but sweet lord it must be annoying having the desperate GM watching over your shoulder. Being on it.

103. PREDICKTER says:

jake70:
    The 4th goal was killer.Can someone tell me what was going on in Yak’s brain on that sequence?

104. Dark Asia says:

You know the rest of the league is laughing their asses off at these classless, clueless bumblers – and nothing will change until the management suite is swept clean. Two years ago I became Dark Asia when the majority were singing happy days are here again after MacT was gifted a job he didn’t deserve and he fired Kruger via Skype so that he could bring in “the hair”. I said it was an absolute disaster – fans would regret that whole episode – and here we are. MacT and Lowe deserve nothing but the door hitting them in the ass on the way out for what they’ve done to this franchise.

105. thepeetso says:

PREDICKTER: . The game was over when they decided to play Schultz/Hunt in the same game.

At the same time no less.

Its baffling.

106. jake70 says:

PREDICKTER: The game was long over before that goal. Plus as Craig Simpson put it “Justin Schultz was covering nobody AGAIN”. The game was over when they decided to play Schultz/Hunt in the same game.

Oh agreed, that goal was a comedy of errors. It was just watching Yak puckwatch and float toward Glencross as he scored that stood out for me. .

And Nuge hits another crossbar. I am encouraged by that actually. He was shooting pucks wide a whole lot last year – this year he is scoring or hitting posts. Who was on his line when Hall was out? – Put that line back together – he was in beast mode then.

107. Bobbin Roundlee says:

What happened to accountability? Schultz and Hunt were blasted by the Hockey Night in Canada between period commentators. Lazy? Looks disinterested? That was Jultz they were talking about.

When will MacT’s experiment end? Jultz = Joke = Norris?

BTW for all those hollering for Eakins job I know that it is only a few games in but seems to me that the results are the same?

108. Bobbin Roundlee says:

jake70,

jake70:
    And Nuge hits another crossbar.I am encouraged by that actually.He was shooting pucks wide a whole lot last year – this year he is scoring or hitting posts.Who was on his line when Hall was out? – Put that line back together – he was in beast mode then.

I think that Nuge is actually hindered playing with Hall. He was a monster when Hall had his knee hurt earlier in the season.

Is it possible that Nuge is a far superior player to Hall?

109. russ99 says:

Bobbin Roundlee

MacT’s post firing comments about Eakins not doing anything wrong are coming home to roost. No Eakins yet the same plan and same results are not surprising.

I hope Nelson gets a fair shot to change things up, because if MacT’s philosophy about how we should play and how players are utilized are the core problem here, and he’s still obstinate to change despite all evidence to the contrary, Nelson doesn’t have a chance.

110. SwedishPoster says:

jake70: Oh agreed, that goal was a comedy of errors.It was just watching Yak puckwatch and float toward Glencross as he scored that stood out for me. .

Schultz, Pitlick and Huntwere the worst Oilers on the play. Yak was the one trying to get first on the puck on the blueline when Pitlick had put himself out of position, he was never getting back to reach Glencross who was Schultz man. Hunt should have done better cutting the lanes behind the net as well.

Edit: I agree that Hall and RNH should be seperated. I want Hall and Yak on the same line, don’t care if it might be iffy defensively, they’ve looked dangerous the few games they’ve had together. RNH looks like he doesn’t want to take up too much space when with Hall.

111. Really? says:

Taylor Hall is an incredibly gifted hockey player physically. He does not, however, seem to be gifted at the same level mentally. While making some excellent offensive plays he is also guilty of repeated bone head errors which lead to turnovers and opposing goals.

Hall has a motor that seems to run almost non-stop during most games and the effort is there. He does not, however, seem to be a great team guy. He certainly did not support RNH and Eberle during the scrum last night and demonstrations of team spirit from him are rare. Could he in fact be a problem in the room? Was Lindy Ruff right and we are all just too dazzled and too stubborn to admit it?

112. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Really?:

Finally!

Someone with the courage to say what we’ve all been thinking.

Taylor Hall is a bum. A cancer on the team. Time for some addition by subtraction.

113. SwedishPoster says:

Lander with another helper on OKCs gwg last night. 5 sog.

114. thepeetso says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Finally!

Someone with the courage to say what we’ve all been thinking.

I don’t want to see Taylor Hall traded. But I have the feeling that Taylor Hall may no longer feel the same way.

Its a damn shame.

#4 was once the solution . . . is he still?

Has the ineptitude of Oilers Mgmt. turned him into the problem?

115. book¡je says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Finally!

Someone with the courage to say what we’ve all been thinking.

Is Toby Peterson available? Guys like him never have the puck so they don’t have any problem with giveaways

116. book¡je says:

I just hope Katz loves Taylor Hall more than he does MacT and Lowe!

117. sliderule says:

russ99,

Mact said Eakins was not doing anything wrong because he was doing exactly what Mact wanted him to do.

Mact is carrying on the micromanagement with Nelson by getting up real close on the bench no less.

The result of all this is we see our Norris candidate playing with two AHL rookies and a CHL center..

Nothing changes with the oilers.

118. rich says:

Dark Asia,

As someone who was willing to give MacT the benefit of the doubt when he made the change (new GM deserves to have his man as coach) this is in retrospect prophetic.

I know I’ve become a johnny-one-note on the need to clean house but this is just so obvious.

Can’t stand Burke but he was bang on when he said a few years back that Lowe was going to run the Oilers into the sewer. This has been in the works a long time.

If MacT is allowed to fire the scouts as another scapegoat for his joint culpability it will be another sign that Katz doesn’t get it.

The Oilers are a laughingstock right now. There’s no pushback on the ice. The hockey ops dept is a disaster.

Clean house.

119. sliderule says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Taylor Hall approves of your message.

« Older Comments