NO. 31-40: THE THIRD ROW

The Edmonton Oilers prospect list is not strong this December but it’s possible one of the (final) 10 names on the winter list could emerge as an NHL player. It’s a ragtag group of AHL enforcers, college scorers and junior snipers trying to find their way in the pro’s. It’s a long shot list but you never know.

bachman kessy ferguson 14-15

• No. 31 (44) L Kale Kessy (17GP, 3-3-6 AHL). Kessy arrived in training camp this year with an extra gear and it made a significant difference. Edmonton has a line of these players now (Gazdic, Kessy, Moroz) and I don’t really have any idea which one will turn out. Craig MacTavish got plenty out of Georges Laraque and Zach Stortini in their time, I wouldn’t rule out Kessy as an option down the line. Gone for the season due to injury.

campbell

• No. 32 (49) C Evan Campbell (15GP, 4-9-13 NCAA). The first member of the Langley Rivermen to be drafted, Campbell has been described as a ‘powerhouse center’ but at 6.01, 189 one imagines that’s an embellishment. He is scoring at the NCAA level but his age (21) suggests that he’s a long shot prospect.

mccarron22

• No. 33 (22) R John McCarron (11GP, 0-5-5 NCAA). McCarron is a big body who can drive to the net and sometimes help score a goal. Kirk Luedeke described him as a hardnosed player, a north-south guy who can score a little. The lack of offense this season means he’s a down arrow. He’s a strong winger, if he signs McCarron could surprise. His resume resembles Colin McDonald at a similar point in his career.

ewanyk ferguson 1415

• No. 34 (41) C Travis Ewanyk (28GP, 1-2-3 AHL). People forget about draft day, but he was ranked by Red Line at No. 64 overall (Oilers took him at 74). Here’s what they said: Redline: The quintessential power checking centre competes like a ******* every shift and is tough to play against. The problem for Ewanyk is that he can’t score, at all. I can’t imagine he finds a way to have a career.

bunz ferguson

• No. 35 (48) G Tyler Bunz (11GP, 2.39 .901 ECHL). There’s not much between Bunz and Tuohimaa (No. 30) but the young man hasn’t given us much reason to believe he’s going to succeed in pro hockey. He hasn’t played a lot and his best SP at one place in pro is .903.

winquist ferguson 1415

• No. 36 (38) L Josh Winquist (8GP, 1-1-2 AHL; 18GP, 5-18-23 ECHL). Young man is making an impression, first with his fine play in Bakersfield and then an early flurry in Oklahoma City. I’ve been told by a scout that he’s probably the smartest player on every team he joins but the foot speed issue is a legit concern. Still, this is a nice bet by the Oilers, better than a few of their recent draft picks.

zharkov7

• No. 37 (37) L Daniil Zharkov (6GP, 0-0-0 KHL; 28GP, 1-3-4 VHL). Big winger (6.03, 190) is lost in Russia at this point and we may never see him again. Makes the list based on size/speed and the fact we simply have no idea how much or little he’s playing. Scored 25 goals once upon a time in the OHL (at 18) so he makes the list despite feeble boxcars this year.

coughlin

• No 38 (29) C Liam Coughlin (34GP, 14-28-42 BCJHL). 20-year old wasn’t going to make this list but a surge leading up to Christmas gets him on it right at the end. 20-year olds in the BCJHL aren’t a goldmine for NHL teams, and his offensive totals fade compare to the Jones’ boys (Connor Jones scored 81 points in 51 games for the Vipers in 2009-10, age 19).

kellen jones ferguson1415 (Barons photos by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved).

• No. 39 (46) C Kellen Jones (3GP, 1-1-2 AHL ; 27GP, 7-18-25 ECHL) I think he might end up being Wayne Schaab (that’s a compliment) and I think the Oilers should give the twins a lot of time in the AHL over the next several years. Dynamite penalty killer from what I’ve seen.

Texas Stars vs. OKC Barons 4-16-14

• No. 40 (47) L Connor Jones (2GP, 1-0-1 AHL; 27GP, 10-26-26 ECHL) Much like his twin brother, Jones has certainly shown enough to hang around the AHL for the next several years. Look, we should expect never to see them again but they’re worth roster spots on the minor league team.

Not on the list are men like Kellen Lain, CJ Ludwig, Ryan Hamilton, Ty Rimmer, Graeme Craig and Keven Bouchard. Graduating from the list one year ago are (with last December’s rankings):

• No. 4 Martin Marincin (over 50 NHL games, now considered graduated)
  • No. 7 Anton Belov (over 50 NHL games, now considered graduated)
  • No. 12 Mark Arcobello (over 50 NHL games)
  • No. 13 Taylor Fedun (no longer in organization)
  • No. 18 Luke Gazdic (over 50 NHL games)
  • No. 27 Ryan Martindale (no longer in organization)
  • No. 28 Richard Bachman (over 30 NHL games)
  • No. 40 Cameron Abney (no longer in organization)

I’ll have an overview of the Winter 2014 list up tomorrow afternoon. This is not a strong list compared to 2010 winter or 2011 winter, but there is talent on this list and some of these young men should have an NHL career. Thanks for reading!

55 Responses to "NO. 31-40: THE THIRD ROW"

1. stush18 says:

Great job LT.
    Love these posts, makes it easier to be an oiler fan.

If you ever gave up on the oilers and wanted to start writing about the red wings, i certainly wouldnt say no. Not many writers like you on the interweb, and the wings are easier to stomach!

2. PeOiler says:

I’ve been listening to (the lovely) Jill Barber album ‘Fools Gold’ over the holidays here and she seems to have expertly channeled my attitude towards the Oilers these days in the song ‘Broken for Good’.

I quit pretending / I made up my mind / This happy ending / I will never find

This heart would go on if it could,
    but this time its broken for good.

3. rich says:

Oosterle (Lander, Miller).

Anyone know if the Oil need a C or not?

With today’s game (pending OT) Laurent Brossoit is top 5 in AHL save percentage .928

5. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Isn’t it worrying that the prospect group isn’t strong, as you say, but the team is also DFL?

6. book¡je says:

Oilers logic suggests that its time to trade away Scrivens and bring up Brossoit to depend upon as the new number 1 goalie.

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:

The Oilers have about 9 guys I’d estimate have a good to very good chance of making it to the NHL. they would have more but the Oilers under MacT have been trading draft picks at a fairly good clip. A guy like Slepyshev could surprise, Brossoit too.

the problem with pretty much all of them? They’re too young to help now. It’s a big issue and I do think MacT will need to cash a Marincin and something else for an established G, D or C.

8. rich says:

Miller (Yakimov, Simpson)

2-1 Barons in OT. Nice to see someone in the Oilers org get a win.

9. Zelepukin says:

stush18: makes it easier to be an oiler fan.

said no one ever.

10. nelson88 says:

The Barons are pretty much the only reason to follow the Oilers organization these days. MacT’s good and bad signings and trades aren’t what gets my attention/venom. The organizations handling of folks like Brodziak, Marincin, Dubnyk, Petry and Lander over the years have pretty much killed any respect I had for MacT. Not to mention firing your coach over skype, etc. etc. Until they cut off the arrogant head(s) I don’t give a shit about the Oilers.

Like the lists LT but think Lagesson should be higher and is going to be a solid 3-5 option for the Oilers in 3 or 4 years. I’m going to throw Muir out there as the “dark horse” who takes time to develop but will ultimately have a successful NHL career.

11. Zangetsu says:

I know I said I wasn’t going to be back, but I found this quote from Yakupov from a russian website that was translated. Not sure if you guys have seen it.

– Don’t you have friends within the team?

– I have many buddies there. I talk with everyone, I don’t have any bad tie with anyone of them. On the locker room there is a good working environment. But I can’t call anyone of them a true friend. The mentality is very different and there are a few things which I wouldn’t discuss with them. We have our interests, they have theirs, and everyone lives according to them. I’m not judging anyone, I’m simply very careful with people and I try avoiding doing bad things.

At this point, I think we have to rebuild the rebuild. Bring in all new management, and let them take over. Hopefully we can retool around our core and McJesus/Eichel, but we need solid management to do it. There is a culture of losing on this organization, and the way out comes from the top.

12. raventalon40 says:

Derek Roy on waivers

13. LMHF#1 says:

Zangetsu:

– Don’t you have friends within the team?

14. SwedishPoster says:

LMHF#1: All he really appears to be saying is what we already knew – he doesn’t go out boozing with the crew.

Damn lazy russian.

15. Zangetsu says:

LMHF#1,

Struck me as more than alcohol. I have heard some other things about oilers, but it would be wrong for me to pass it off as fact.

Bastard!

17. Ryan says:

raventalon40:
    Derek Roy on waivers

If Mact doesn’t claim him, the league should intervene. 🙂

18. frjohnk says:

Eichel would fit in perfect with oilers.

On the PP the US using that same drop pass as the oilers use.

Pass was dropped off for the last man which was Eichel. He tried to make a deke by the center line and was stripped of the puck and Germany went on a breakaway but didn’t score.

19. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Zangetsu,

I am friends with a girl who is good friends with a star on the team’s girlfriend since junior days and I concur, but again, something I’m not comfortable passing off as fact.

20. book¡je says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Zangetsu,

I know a guy who’s grandfather used to deliver milk to NYCOIL’s great uncle and honestly, I think that pretty much makes me an authority on the whole situation and I have no problem putting it out there. Taylor Hall, RNH, and Eberle have been engaged in waterboarding and rectal rehydration of detainees.

I may have mixed up one or two of the facts which could have been wrong in the first place, but I think its important to get this out there in a reliable way.

21. kooler says:

raventalon40,

Won’t happen. Best guess.

22. Zangetsu says:

I’m not trying to tarnish reputations or whatever, but I do think that MacT is in the dressing room to sort out some stuff about the core. I’m not sure management knows much about these guys off ice, but they should make it their business to know. Social problems within the team are evident, and steps need to be taken to fix the situation.

I know these are rumors, but they are far too prevalent to be completely false. There were rumors in the 80s that sone oilers used cocaine. At least some of those were true. Things like this often run deeper than you imagine. For example did you know certain former golden bears football head coaches took players to strip clubs after games on university budget. Things are starting to turn around there after years of losing. There was a lot of fishy activity there while they were constantly losing.

23. book¡je says:

…or Don Cherry apparently.

24. G Money says:

Also whoring. Boozing and whoring.

Enigmatic sonofabitch.

25. flyfish1168 says:

G Money,

Should be like world cup soccer teams. Coach demands players abstain from sex until it over.

That is the problem with our Oilers.

26. LMHF#1 says:

Lowetide: Bastard!

Who does he think he is, Joni Pitkanen!?!

27. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

book¡je,

Sure, I’m being careful not to point fingers or name names. What guys do or do not do on their own time is their business anyway. These things tend to manifest themselves more on bad teams. Nothing wrong with enjoying the life of a professional hockey player. People grow up, too. See Seguin.

Oh, and if it was confusing, I was replying to Zangetsu about Yak’s comments. Not about his interpretation beyond booze. I meant one of the guys likes going out a lot. I wasn’t insinuating anything other than going to the bars.

I realize now that by using the words “passing off as fact” I wound up echoing Zangetsu’s later comment, which was more pointed. I didn’t mean to do that, and so I apologize. I was referring to the original Yak interview

28. book¡je says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

I was mostly just trying to be ridiculous.

29. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

book¡je,

Well, you had a point and I was trying to be careful but you’re right I should just shut up while I’m behind.

30. LMHF#1 says:

flyfish1168:
    G Money,

That is the problem with our Oilers.

Someone want to run the numbers on this?

I’m sure volunteers and interest in that sort of analytics would be high.

Sex = testosterone = performance. At least in theory.

31. VanOil says:

LMHF#1: Someone want to run the numbers on this?

32. flyfish1168 says:

VanOil: No numbers for you but I have a source (not NYOIL’s source) that was directly involved in researching this at the Olympics. The source felt that quickies just before were performance enhancing, long sessions the night before were performance sapping. Source had a spouse with gold medal to support conclusion/claims.

Whatever the Oil is doing they should do the opposite to test the theory

33. Bobbin Roundlee says:

Zangetsu:

I know these are rumors,but they are far too prevalent to be completely false. There were rumors in the 80s that sone oilers used cocaine. At least some of those were true. Things like this often run deeper than you imagine. For example did you know certain former golden bears football head coaches took players to strip clubs after games on university budget. Things are starting to turn around there after years of losing. There was a lot of fishy activity there while they were constantly losing.

Nothing new here with young professional athletes. I happen to have grown up the same time the old gang, Messier, etc. were the talk of the town in the nightclubs, etc. Working in the media I heard countless stories of Glen Sather “rescuing” some of these young men who grew up to be hall of famers and all stars.

My daughters now the age of the young Oilers have first and second hand stories of stupid young men with too much money and fame doing the things that stupid young men do.

Maybe what this team needs is a Glen Sather kind of Coach/GM that will lay down the law when needed?

Every professional team that is without strong mentors has this problem. The Oilers need a few more mature mentors to guide the “core” and show them what it means to be a professional.

Okay. Here’s the deal. for some who are new to the blog, we don’t really get involved in the ‘whoring’ aspect of the players on the team. IF someone can tie ‘whoring’ and “whoring REL” to winning?

Then we can talk. Otherwise, please abstain from discussing the activities of these young men on the site. I will pause only long enough to add that if I had Taylor Hall’s money at his age I’d be dead by now. I’d also be in at LEAST one hall of fame #Corsi #whoring

35. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Lowetide: I will pause only long enough to add that if I had Taylor Hall’s money at his age I’d be dead by now.

Just paged down to the last comment, and it’s this! Lol! I go out to a hockey game, and miss some delicious commentary – #becauseme.

@LT: I’ve thought that many times – if I had _________’s money (Hall, Beiber…), what would I have done by now…

36. Zangetsu says:

To be fair I can’t imagine Hall doing a lot of whoring. I caught him on ehite once, and he was way too expensive for my taste.

37. G Money says:

In fairness, the only direct accusation that was made in this thread is that the enigmatic sonofabitch Yak does not go boozing or whoring, which presumably in Don Cherry’s books is also cowardly.

38. Hammers says:

Why does anyone care what young or old players do on there own time . What they do for the team and themselves on the ice is all that matters . If there not following what there coach asks in regards to fitness and effort then they should be gone , no matter the age . Seems Boston let Seguin go and his probably better because of it . Not every player fits with the existing group but that doesn’t mean he can’t fit on the team .Hopefully McT lets Nelson take full control as to both system and the players he wants plus I hope McT found out what he wanted to re the existing players .

G Money:

Yeah, but I wanted to write whoring and rarely get the chance

40. RexLibris says:

(Think Willie Nelson)

“Mama, don’t let your babies grow up to play hockey…”

Carpe Whorem.

41. G Money says:

Lowetide: Yeah, but I wanted to write whoring and rarely get the chance

RexLibris: Agreed, though. The chance in one’s lifetime to write such phrases as “whoring” is too precious to pass up.

I’m intrigued by the statistical opportunities though.

Like, where do the Oilers lie (heh heh) with respect to their WhoringFor, WhoringAgainst, and WhoringREL stats? And we know how to calculate WhoreShots, but how do we get to Whorwick and Whorsi? Count Shootdowns and CockBlocks?

And does anyone even want to contemplate WhoringWOWYs aka CorsiATrois?

42. G Money says:

VanOil: The source felt that quickies just before were performance enhancing, long sessions the night before were performance sapping. Source had a spouse with gold medal to support conclusion/claims.

I have tried both approaches and a host of others and still do not have an NHL career or an Olympic Gold Medal to my credit.

Will try again (repeatedly) and let you know what I find.

43. hunter1909 says:

Total shiteshow from MacT. Can’t GM to save his life, so returns to the bench in the most brutal way imaginable – letting the AHL fill in coach take all of the heat.

Despicable man, imo. I get it. He wears glasses so he’s really cool and smart, right?

Wtf does this assclown expect to learn? That Eakins fucked up the team so completely that every single player is regressing? Or that some players not named Ference think the Oilers are a complete joke?

Katz is the ultimate tool in this scenario. The worst NHL owner since Wirtz/Ballard. Wannabe 55 year old Bono, lol. Has turned out to be another sociopath – all talk and every action(Seattle, cough) to the contrary.

Kevin Lowe is officially bad Grandpa. Totally out of touch with reality. Equates good luck from being associated with Gretzky/Kurri/Coffey/Messier/Anderson/Fuhr to his knowing anything about hockey – aside from stealing Chris Pronger for 1 season. Then promptly lost him for nothing. Like Katz, treats the fans like so much cash cattle.

Three 1st overall picks and this gang that can’t shoot straight cannot even ice a mediocre team? Riight.

I no longer watch the games. Not even the highlights. Check box scores to seeing if Yak ever scores(he doesn’t). Keep on playing him with AHLers guys, way to go. Now THAT’S winning management.

I read a few comments on this blog, and the tone is akin to Dante’s Hell. Even Bruce McCurdy swears…and he’s the hands down, most rational Lowetide poster of all time. Shiiit.

I get it. Tank for another 1st overall pick. MacT+Lowe and their incestuous cabal in fact are geniuses. They’re geniuses all right – at destroying young hockey careers.

Trade Yaks to the Islanders already. Or even the Habs. That’s when I’ll finally know if there’s any pulse left in me for the NHL. Checking to see which team is closest to 29th place is hardly paying attention.

As an untermench level fan, I’m sure anything I say here won’t register on the KatzLowe egomania scale. On the other hand, opening night 2016 which looks to feature a moribund team of hockey ghosts, punctuated with a few select uberpluggers ala Ference should turn out to be a 7-2 losing hoot for all concerned.

And finally, what’s the plan for Canada’s last financially viable province, now that the price of oil has dropped? That rich, arrogant/ignorant place that produces a single product that no one particularly wants quite so much? Will people be taking out mortgages, so they can keep on buying season tickets?

44. Zack says:

Next up, advanced stats for bar hopping. Now we’ll really find out who’s “pushing the river”.

45. G Money says:

I heard the Oilers had their annual Skills Competition today.

Word is, they gave up two goals in the first minute and lost.

Baddump bump.

(Forgive me if someone’s already posted that, or something similar. But you know it had to be done)

46. G Money says:

hunter1909: As an untermench level fan, I’m sure anything I say here won’t register on the KatzLowe egomania scale.

If it’s any consolation, you barely register on mine either.

47. hunter1909 says:

G Money,

To be perfectly honest, nothing you write ever registers with me. You’re like someone from the U of A who walks around with Vancouver tourist stickers on his briefcase, earnestly hoping to look cool. Keep up the good work. Your family are very proud of you.

48. G Money says:

hunter1909: tourist stickers on his briefcase

I just wish I *had* a briefcase.

49. nez29 says:

Hey hey fellas….let’s play nice. Also, isn’t Yak a Muslim, at least culturally, therefore ruling out boozing? Of course, Cherry,ever enlightened, wouldn’t know or understand that.

50. book¡je says:

G Money:
    I heard the Oilers had their annual Skills Competition today.

Word is, they gave up two goals in the first minute and lost.

Baddump bump.

(Forgive me if someone’s already posted that, or something similar.But you know it had to be done)

I’m pretty sure I posted it in 2013 and 2012 at least, perhaps in 2011 and 2010…

This year it just seemed like piling on.

51. Dark Asia says:

Anger…… fire-spitting, hell-fire, relentless anger is the only appropriate response to what Katz, Lowe, MacT and every one of their hangers on have done to this proud franchise. Christ, Pocklington looks like St Francis of Assisi next to this venal, arrogant and inept crew. May they burn in hockey hell forever.

52. PhrankLee says:

Monday!

This is a weak list.

MacT said the scouting, essentially, undermines everything we are trying to accomplish on the ice.

I wonder what kind of extra stink that statement casts upon the future of these young men?

The hockey world is very, very small at this level. Being tainted with the touch of Oiler scouts may be a poison apple for more of these guys than is NHL normal if they were drafted anywhere else.

53. Pouzar says:

Ufa leading 1-0.

Looks like they like to work it to Slepy for the one timer on the first PP unit.

54. Pouzar says:

Slepy draws a penalty…….why??????????? wait for it………………………………..by going to the net.
    D-man takes him out.