RED WINGS AT OILERS, G41 2014-15

Darnell Nurse hammered Pavel Buchnevich and the Russian hammered back, in what was, at least for a moment, gridiron brought to ice. The power and the determination, the power and the glory, belonged to Canada. Darnell Nurse and his teammates shed the blood, sweat and tears in a game I’ll remember for a long time. The beautiful game of hockey is alive and well.

The Oilers need Nurse to be 23 right now but that isn’t how it works. I’ve mentioned this before but Larry Robinson spent over 100 games in the AHL and at least some time in the minors should be the assumed route for this terrific young prospect. I really like his speed, he can close a gap in a heartbeat and he can certainly carry the puck to safety. I don’t know that we’re going to be talking about his offensive creativity (remember this is ‘saw him good’ in a small sample) but he can roam the earth and the tools are there.

There was a lot of talk on the blog and on twitter last night about Nurse and what kind of player he’ll be in pro. I think it’s important to remember a couple of things, beginning with the fact that prospects who are progressing (as Nurse is) are not yet the sum of their parts—so making any sweeping statements is unwise. It is fair to project into the future based on established levels but we need to be mindful that the player is still matriculating. Here’s what I wrote last month in ranking Nurse as the No. 2 overall prospect in the system:

• Based on his skating, size, and mean streak, I think we’re looking at a top drawer defensive prospect and someone who stands a good chance of making the big team in October 2015. I don’t see him as a power-play monster but he’s so strong and long (with terrific speed) it’s possible he plays well over 20 minutes a night anyway. If Nurse can stay away from injury, and learns the finer points of the NHL game, I suspect he’ll have a long and productive career. Source

NHL ROOKIE BLUE, 2014-15

rookie blueThese are arranged by Corsi for 5×5 %. Young Klefbom is among the group not getting a ZS push and all but Ekblad are second pairing (this is BTN and HockeyAnalysis.com) and the Corsi’s are fairly strong for a rookie group save Zadorov who is playing in a tough spot. Klefbom is playing 21:23 and that’s a lot but if you’re going to audition a player then getting him sorties in a lost season isn’t the worst plan—if he can keep his head above water.

I expect we’ll see Darnell Nurse getting similar opportunities next season, perhaps after 35-40 games in the AHL. Unless there’s a managerial change of direction, these young men are on the fast train. Larry Robinson played 112 AHL games, Oscar Klefbom 57. It’s a different era and the Habs had amazing depth but it’s also true the Oilers fast track. We should expect Darnell in the fall, possibly paired with Mark Fayne on a second pairing with tougher zone starts.

pitlick ferguson 1415

IF IT’S NOT ONE THING IT’S ANOTHER

• Joanne Ireland: He left the New Year’s Eve game with a lac­er­at­ed spleen and will spend the next three months avoiding any con­tact. For the next month, he will not be al­lowed to work­out. No weights. No car­dio. No ex­cep­tions. Source

Tyler Pitlick can’t get a break and this one might cost him his Oilers career. The club made a deal last week for Rob Klinkhammer who may end up winning the job Pitlick was applying for (fourth-line winger). It’s a tough break for the 2010 second-round pick and it’s anyone’s guess where he lands next season.

WHICH WAY YOU GOIN’, LEON?

Leon should be traded some time today, imagine it’ll be Kelowna or Victoria and either spot is a good landing place. I’ll speak to Guy Flaming on the subject this morning but it’s important for Draisaitl to play a lot and post tons of points. I’m not wise enough to know if the the three months he spent in the NHL will hurt his development but do know that Draft +1 is important for these kids to play and to dominate. Godspeed, Leon Draisaitl. Knock ’em dead, kid.

LATE ITEM

A great article from DVD just up in the last hour, must read. Among several terrific quotes comes this from Taylor Hall: “McDavid is a great player and he’s going to be a special talent, but I don’t think there is anyone in this room that necessarily wants him to be on our team next year.”

wood14

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Today’s show begins at 10 sharp, TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, Cult of Hockey, Oilers Nation, All the Other websites. We’ll talk Nelson, WJ’s, Leon.
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. We’ll talk WJ, Leon, WHL Deadline.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. We’ll talk Carlyle, how Toronto can turn their possession numbers around, end of the enforcer.
  • Travis Yost, TSN. Oilers under Nelson: Are they better or losing the possession game?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Talk soon!

359 Responses to "RED WINGS AT OILERS, G41 2014-15"

« Older Comments

#JustSayNoah

2. kooler says:

Bag of Pucks,

I bet there are some good mullet pics out there.

3. spoiler says:

Ben: What’s “facetioused”?Is that some sort of gay mafia thing??

Nope, but outted is.

4. frjohnk says:

jzed:
    Give Yak some time on the PP. He’s just forgotten all the stuff he did in Jr. BECAUSE HE HASN’t been on the PP since Jr.

Yak PP time and points/60

2014.15 1.9min/game 2.4 pts/60
    2013.14 2.1 min/game 2.8 pts/60
    2012.13 2.4 min/game 4.8 pts/60

5. Lucinius says:

Carolina loses, damn. They had the lead, too.

6. oilersfan says:

The major problem with hanifin from the oilers perspective is that he shoots left. So do nurse , Klefbom , and Marincin.

So thAt gives us three high end LD, 0 rd

I wonder if we could trade hanifin for seth jones considering redline report says hanifin is better

7. Bag of Pucks says:

kooler:
    Bag of Pucks,

I bet there are some good mullet pics out there.

Google Images search for “Todd Nelson hockey mullet” doesn’t yield the holy grail, BUT it does bring back a photo of Samwise in a Lightning jersey, Ryan Smyth in a ‘Dave Babych All Star’ jersey, Jean Claude Van Dumb and a pic of some guy licking his hockey stick.

The Interweb is fun.

8. Pouzar says:

Lucinius:
    Carolina loses, damn. They had the lead, too.

twice

Tyler Pitlick, just before he falls out of the pressbox.

10. linkfromhyrule says:

Re-sign Jeff Schultz immediately!!

11. Lucinius says:

Jeff Schultz is better than Justin Schultz at defense.

12. Pouzar says:

Schultz made such a great play Quinn called him Jeff.

13. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Tyler Pitlick, just before he falls out of the pressbox.

I laughed, but I feel so bad for the kid. I can’t blame the Oilers for that pick. Never got a fair shake due to health.

Pouliot is already a favorite of mine. Wonderful on the Pk.

15. Pouzar says:

Abdelkater or whatever the **** it is….is such a goofy name…lol…kills me every time.

16. Lucinius says:

I haven’t watched a ton of games lately, but the special teams looks a lot better than it did earlier in the season. Is it personnel usage, a change in tactics, or just.. stuff?

17. G Money says:

Pouzar:

It’s an anglicization of his family name, Abdul Qadir. From Jordan I think. I’m sure you’d never make fun of a name because of its ethnic origin, right?

18. Pouzar says:

G Money: It’s an anglicization of his family name, Abdul Qadir.From Jordan I think.I’m sure you’d never make fun of a name because of its ethnic origin, right?

I’m not that smart G….i mean dumb

19. Derek says:

I yearn for the days (yesterday) when I cheered for a hockey team that could make two consecutive passes on a breakout.

20. Pouzar says:

Rob Torres!

21. Lucinius says:

Ah, refs.. giving a penalty after not.. well, calling a penalty.

22. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

That’s blindside and interference. But if they didn’t call a penalty at the time, how can they do that after the fact? Looking at the scoreboard replay or listening to Franzen chirp?

23. G Money says:

Pouzar,

I’m sure you are! No, wait, I’m sure you aren’t! Wait. What?

24. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:
    Rob Torres!

Yup

25. G Money says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:

It’s the Red Wings. They have “respect” i.e. they feel they get to call their own penalties.

You knew the Oilers were going to be constantly playing a man down from that Purcell penalty, which is in the running for weakest penalty called so far in 2015.

26. Lucinius says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

It is a penalty. Also, technically, they can call a penalty after talking with the other ref and linesman now. Glad they didn’t, however, as there was no call on the play.

27. frjohnk says:

Datsyuk schooling RNH

28. Lucinius says:

RNH got a nice display there of the skills of a great two-way center he needs to emulate more.

29. G Money says:

It’s my opinion that Nikitin does look better uninjured. Not good, but nowhere near say Whitney or Schultz bad. Anyone agree?

30. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Lucinius,

Yes, I realize they can call upon consultation, but in this case the optics were bad as it looked like no one saw it and called it based on replay or the complaint. But no penalty call so all good. I do agree it was a blatant interference penalty. No head shot, but might even warrant a fine from the league office for the blind side aspect of it.

31. Lucinius says:

Red Wings showing some of that old Red Wing puck magic..

32. G Money says:

Lucinius:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

It was a penalty as a play, but as none of the refs or linemen called it at the time, to call it after the fact either meant they got talked into it by Franzen, or they watched the replay, neither of which is kosher. Would have been on par with the flag that was picked up on the blatant holding/pass interference in the Dallas-Detroit (ironic… ?) game this weekend.

33. Lucinius says:

Wow.. Backes with four goals against Arizona tonight, for St. Louis.

34. Pouzar says:

Is this the NBA?

35. G Money says:

Another rather embarrassing penalty call. Maybe a make up call, but the refs already owe the Oilers at least two.

36. Lucinius says:

Another soft call. And we actually trail.

37. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

G Money,

Yes, I can’t type properly today. That’s what I was trying to say. I swear I haven’t had a drink. Maybe that’s my problem.

38. G Money says:

Lucinius:
    Wow.. Backes with four goals against Arizona tonight, for St. Louis.

Now that the season series with the Oilers is done, ARZ are a real dangerous dark horse in the competition for DFL.

39. Pouzar says:

I really am unenjoying the Remenda era.

40. Derek says:

5v5 CF favors Detroit 38 – 17
    Scoring Chances 20 – 2

Edmonton leading in hits 14-13 though. Take that.

41. G Money says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: I swear I haven’t had a drink.

No wonder the Oilers are down. IT’S YOU!!!!

42. Zelepukin says:

Jultz getting schooled every, single, shift.

43. Lucinius says:

Calls aside.. Red Wings deserve to lead after two periods.

Also, Red Wings showing the Oilers what fantastic stick work looks like. I wish half our players used their sticks like the Wings do. Instead, most of our players often have their sticks at waist level.

44. PunjabiOil says:

Lets not kid ourselves – this is the same poor team, who is getting better goaltending lately, and a softer schedule.

45. Pouzar says:

G Money: No wonder the Oilers are down.IT’S YOU!!!!

46. Lucinius says:

PunjabiOil,

They are player harder, though. Clearly more effort on display. Sad, but the lack of effort was a big reason for the fan anger towards the team, imo. Hardly the only reason, of course…

47. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

G Money,

Ha ha. Normally I am forced to drink heavily in order to make it through a weeknight game here on the East Coast. And we have 9 wins in half the season to show for it. So uh, yeah, I don’t think that’s it! 🙂

That was a strong period by Detroit. They got a call but that’s a veteran team and they were screwed on the Klinkhammer interference and you knew it was going to be accounted for at some point.

It’ll be interesting to see how things go in the third period. EV 30% Corsi For after two, those 40%’s are calling….

49. Derek says:

PunjabiOil:

This should help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlyvBRgPiY

Put it on mute and enjoy.

50. PunjabiOil says:

This should help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlyvBRgPiY

Put it on mute and enjoy.

Oh I’m enjoying it. As Lebrun said, “take a knee”

The Oilers would be better off with Connor MacDavid or Jack Eichel rather than meaningless wins at this point of the season, especially when many of them are undeserving or due to puck luck. Wins don’t carry over to next season. Drafting 1st or 2nd is the greatest good for this entity.

It just is.

51. G Money says:

Pouzar: No…it’s my fault….last time I mocked someone Gaudreau scored the OT winner against the Kings after being down 3-1 late….now Applicator has gone supernova.

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    G Money,

Fair enough. In any case, Pouzar is stepping up and taking some accountability.

See? This team really does suck because of us fans!

52. Lucinius says:

Derek: This should help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlyvBRgPiY

Put it on mute and enjoy.

Eh, as bad as things are in Oiler-land.. I think a video like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlyvBRgPiY, of everyone’s favourite hurdler is more likely to help.

53. Pouzar says:

Yak with Roy and Poo

54. Pouzar says:

Blatant hook on Roy there. Jezzuz H

55. Derek says:

Pouzar:
    Yak with Roy and Poo

I read this and had to tune back in, just in time to see Yak and Roy run into each other on the PP causing a 2 on 1 the other way. My first instinct was the correct one. Goodnight all!

56. G Money says:

Pouzar:
    Blatant hook on Roy there. Jezzuz H

57. Pouzar says:

Not loving Hall tonight.

Watch him score now.

58. jzed says:

Wow, that looked like an Eakins PP. Hall swooping around where he wants te puck to be instead of where it is. When it’s not going, hit someone. Start channeling the Moose already.

Nail Yakupov, appearing in Lost three nights a week at Rexall.

60. Pouzar says:

G Money: They might be the better team, but they get away with murder, and they also get gifted two or three undeserved PPs every game – at least against the Oil.

They get away with interference all the frickin time.

61. Lucinius says:

And… that doesn’t get called…

62. Pouzar says:

Fasth says fuck it….I’m calling the penalty

63. G Money says:

Lucinius:
    And… that doesn’t get called…

If it was 3-1 Wings already, it would have been called, guaranteed.

64. Pouzar says:

Just wow.

65. G Money says:

Absolutely blatant interference on Eberle there.

66. jzed says:

Put the zebras in the rafters, all hooked up with state of the art cameras and , hell , have 10 of them ringing the rink. They do not deserve to take up space on the ice. Surprised Nuge didn’t get a penalty for stepping on a Detroit stick.

Oilers are in this one and that’s progress. I’m not in favor of piling up points but wouldn’t mind if they tied this one just for fun. Either way it’s been a good night for showcasing (Petry, Fasth) and coach Nelson has them caring.

Probably too much,

68. Gerta Rauss says:

I think if you look closely Yakupov’s hair is actually on fire

69. PunjabiOil says:

Absolutely blatant interference on Eberle there.

When good things happen, you don’t question them.

70. G Money says:

This is a real good education game for the Oilers, because this is how they need to learn to play. The Wings don’t play ‘heavy’ hockey like the Kings, and they aren’t a particularly big team.

But they are absolutely determined to keep the puck when they have it, relentless at taking away space everywhere on the ice when they don’t have it, and their sticks are crazy intense all the time (unlike the Oilers, who by comparison are *extremely* casual with their sticks, even with the puck).

71. John Chambers says:

G Money,

Holy smokes, it’s like the Oilers can’t win a puck battle or make a 10-foot pass.

72. G Money says:

PunjabiOil:
    Absolutely blatant interference on Eberle there.

When good things happen, you don’t question them.

I get the whole ‘winning is foolish right now’ thing, but at the very least I want engaged and entertaining hockey. And when the refs are wearing the other teams jersey, it’s not entertaining.

73. Pouzar says:

14 dudes on their roster with at least 1 year of AHL experience. Nuts

74. Pouzar says:

As you wish LT.

75. Lucinius says:

If the Oilers get a point out of this game, Nelson needs to be named the Voodoo Priest.

76. G Money says:

John Chambers: Detroit excels at all the small aspects of the game / the Oilers are very poor at these.

Yeah, I think Babcock is rightly revered as a coach, and that’s one of the ways it shows.

77. G Money says:

Beauty!

This is one of the things about the Oilers – when they get ants in their pants (usually when they’re down), they really CAN play with the kind of intensity the Wings bring, and it’s NOT just score effects from the other team letting down, it is the Oilers ramping up to 100%.

That may be the most frustrating thing about this team. When they flash potential.

Eberle (Nugent-Hopkins, Hall) 2-2

79. Suntory Hanzo says:

We have a chance of Calgarying this game?

80. jzed says:

Refs suck chant until the end of the game would be appropriate

81. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Noooo Pouliot strikes with the old of-zone unnecessary, boneheaded penalty yet again!

82. Pouzar says:

Wow Poo

83. Zelepukin says:

Pouliot gonna poo.

84. Pouzar says:

Any chance these a-holes even this up?

85. fifthcartel says:

Love that Pouliot penalty. That was a direct order from upstairs.

86. G Money says:

Who didn’t see that coming? It wasn’t even as blatant as the hook on Roy behind the net during the PP, but of course, now that the Oilers have tied it, the refs cannot let that stand.

Benoit Pouliot is kind of a dink.

88. Lucinius says:

Well.. it was a well deserved penalty. You don’t spear a guy there!

89. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Don’t say I didn’t warn you all 😉 ha ha. Come on boys, kill this one off for Poo

90. Pouzar says:

What a bone head penalty there. And of course the refs don’t miss it.

91. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

G Money:
    Who didn’t see that coming?It wasn’t even as blatant as the hook on Roy behind the net during the PP, but of course, now that the Oilers have tied it, the refs cannot let that stand.

What? He speared a guy in the junk. Was a dirty play!

92. Pouzar says:

F^ck off Pouliot.

good night all.

Tough break there, Oilers lose the game because of Pouliot, but that’s not a bad outcome. They don’t need these points.

94. Lucinius says:

That was totally directed in by Hendricks. Oilers!

95. LMHF#1 says:

Good gawd does Ference suck.

One of the first things you ever learn in hockey is not to chase behind the net on the PK like that. Completely screwed that play up.

96. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Pouzar:
    What a bone head penalty there. And of course the refs don’t miss it.

That’s called a “Pouliot.”

It’s his specialty. Seen that plenty of times in person at MSG.

And that’s why we all have a love-hate relationship with Poo.

Add that to yer quote books.

97. dangilitis says:

If the Oil somehow had pulled it off, their record against the East would have been equivalent to Anaheim’s at 8-4-1, to go with their 2-18-8 record vs West.

I know Perron and Arco trades skew things a bit, but right now, the top line has 31 goals, and the rest of the team has 45 goals. There is a good reason why those 3 are untradeable right now. I don’t see any other pure goal scorers on this team, and Perron was the next best thing and he’s gone.

98. PunjabiOil says:

Phew. That’s a relief.

99. jzed says:

Pouliot gets to pay for the next team supper

100. G Money says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: What? He speared a guy in the junk. Was a dirty play!

Watched in slo mo. Pouliot was cross checked as he skates behind the net. As he separates and skates away, he whacked the Red Wing in retaliation. No spearing, just a slash, and a long distance one at that. Beauty embellishment bought in full by the refs.

101. Lucinius says:

Well, Nelson falls to 0.600 on the season and an even goal differential. Tough loss against a much better team.. but it was far more enjoyable than many Oiler games had been prior to Christmas.

102. PunjabiOil says:

Good gawd does Ference suck.

But guys, Andrew Ference works out at 6 AM!!!

103. John Chambers says:

Why do the Oilers suffer the worst luck? Are we paying for the 5 Stanleys, or is this because of the Vanek and Penner offer sheets?

104. Pouzar says:

G Money: Watched in slo mo.Pouliot was cross checked as he skates behind the net.As he separates and skates away, he whacked the Red Wing in retaliation.No spearing, just a slash, and a long distance one at that.Beauty embellishment bought in full by the refs.

The refs can still **** ***.

Brutal non calls all night.

Like I said yesterday, This team is not finishing 30th. No way. So forget McEichel and win some damn games.

105. G Money says:

John Chambers:

Well, to be honest, I hated the reffing but the outcome was probably well deserved.

106. hags9k says:

Poo and Hendricks really want to play with Connor. Spear then the strong finish by Hendricks. You just have to laugh at this point.

107. PunjabiOil says:

SOG were 41-23 Detroit.

108. LMHF#1 says:

John Chambers:

That wasn’t luck, it was idiocy.

109. LMHF#1 says:

Pouzar: The refs can still **** ***.

Brutal non calls all night.

Welcome to playing Detroit.

Complete and utter BS for 20 years now.

110. frjohnk says:

Even strength corsi

Detroit 65%
    Edmonton 35%

Scoring Chances for Detroit 28
    Scoring Chances for Edmonton 6

we had five 2 on 1’s against.

111. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

PunjabiOil:
    SOG were 41-23 Detroit.

112. Pouzar says:

LMHF#1: Welcome to playing Detroit.

Complete and utter BS for 20 years now.

Man I can bitch and moan with the best of them but I rarely complain about the officiating. But this was especially gruesome tonight.

113. LMHF#1 says:

On the plus side, Fasth was outstanding.

114. G Money says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Yes, going to be interesting to see how this goes over 40 games as the “eye test” says Oilers look like they have more jump under Nelson. The points percentage agrees. But PDO is bouncing hard and the corgis are fading into the 40s (30s).

Based on the 20 game benchmark for a new coach to ingrain his system, I think the time to start looking at the Corgis is starting on or about Feb 2nd. Until then, “change” and “decline” should be expected to be synonymous. I do like the jump the team shows, and the PP looks improved without a doubt.

NELSON MUST BE STOPPED.

115. jzed says:

Interesting to see if Poo gets shit on post game by Nelson

116. Pouzar says:

We can’t finish 30th right? Right?

ok ok….I have calmed down.

I’m back on the wagon!

117. G Money says:

LMHF#1:
    On the plus side, Fasth was outstanding.

Both goalies regressing to the meat. Steak by the looks of it.

118. G Money says:

Ericksen admits he cross-checked Pouliot prior to getting whacked …

119. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Todd Nelson must be stopped

Babcock’s on it.

120. RexLibris says:

Nice to see Yakupov getting ice time late in the game, there.

I wonder if Nelson looks at him and thinks “hey, if I can turn Curtis Hamilton into a hockey player, I can fix Nail Yakupov”.

121. jzed says:

Ericksson almost slipped up and admitted the embelleshment, ya Detroit is happy with the officiating.

122. G Money says:

RexLibris:
    Nice to see Yakupov getting ice time late in the game, there.

Man, I hope so. He made Jultz look like a real NHL player the first 20 games of the Krueger season. The two quick nasty shots that Yak took late are the kind of thing Yak needs to do ten times a game.

123. RexLibris says:

Tough break there, Oilers lose the game because of Pouliot, but that’s not a bad outcome. These aren’t the points they’re looking for.

Fixed.

124. Pouzar says:

RexLibris:
    Nice to see Yakupov getting ice time late in the game, there.

He needs to stay with Sh!t and Roy for a while.

125. frjohnk says:

First 20 games with Eakins

Oilers averaged 14.45 “box shots” for per game.

First 4 games with Nelson

Oilers averaged 10.5 “box shots” for per game.

Detroit game is not up yet, but Im pretty sure its less than 10.

4 games with Nelson. 5 tip in/deflection shots

Before Nelson. 36 tip in/deflection shots.

Still only averaging about 1 per game.

Calgary averages 2 per game.

126. G Money says:

CAR, BUF, ARZ all managed to lose tonight, but NJD won (v BUF) and COL managed to beat CHI, so the Oilers didn’t lose any real ground tonight in the Race to McJesus, but didn’t make up any either.

127. Zelepukin says:

Pouzar: He needs to stay with Sh!t and Roy for a while.

Agreed. Not hard to see that Yaks-Lander-Fraser is just a waste of ice time. Nelson is still playing Jultz with Nikitin for 3-5 shifts a game, so Nelson needs to fix that next.

128. RexLibris says:

G Money: Man, I hope so.He made Jultz look like a real NHL player the first 20 games of the Krueger season.The two quick nasty shots that Yak took late are the kind of thing Yak needs to do ten times a game.

Which is to say, he took the body, stripped the puck and made a not-boneheaded pass to an open winger.

He, uh, played defense. Which I guess is a thing these days.

Lander had a beautiful pass away from the boards to spring a linemate for a zone entry late as well.

129. teddyturnbuckle says:

Might be time to sit Yak. Too bad we can’t send him to the AHL he is getting worse.

130. Zelepukin says:

RexLibris: Yeah, I noticed Schultz in a “man, I bet this has WG speechless right now” kind of way.

He, uh, played defense. Which I guess is a thing these days.

By my eye Jultz is still no more a d-man than Eberle is. He can probably break up a 2-on-1 better than a forward but once the puck is in the corner he plays like a winger, often even worse. Forget it about it infront of the net. The opposition can do whatever they want at that point.

131. G Money says:

RexLibris: I think Nelson was developing these players like a man turns chess pieces on a lathe only to deliver them to Eakins who decided to use them for checkers instead. With all due respect to Eakins whom I believe could still be a good coach, I also believe there was something of a disconnect between what Nelson was developing and how Eakins was deploying, or at least was instructed to deploy if we want to entertain that theory.

Yeah, I can see that potentially having played a part.

You know, this is 100% speculation and as completely made up as Godot’s nonsense, but my sense of the personal style, demeanour behind the bench, etc. of the two men makes me *think* that the coaching approach might be something like this:

– Eakins says: “don’t do that, that’s a bad mistake!” It works with veteran players who know what to do and can use the feedback to prevent them from falling into bad habits. Massive fail with young players lacking the fundamentals. Would explain why the veterans like Gordon and Hendricks have played so well under Eakins while the youngsters have all regressed.

– Nelson says: “you made a mistake, what I want you to do is *this* instead!” And the message slowly gets through in a positive way. Veteran players still play well, but youngsters progress rather than regress.

Again: 100% conjecture. But like my previous “Vo2Max” training theory, I’m floating a trial balloon to try and explain what it is (I think) I see.

132. fifthcartel says:

Best part of Thursday’s Canes vs Sabres game is that someone has to win. Hopefully a three point game arises and with a stretch of Chicago, Florida x2 , St. Louis, and Tampa Bay coming up, the Oilers have some serious ground to potentially create in the #McJesus sweepstakes.

133. RexLibris says:

fifthcartel:

Yeah, I was looking at those games thinking the Florida ones are the only ones that we can sit back at a distance and say “well, maybe”. The rest, at least on paper, look like pretty tough sledding. Maybe not guaranteed losses the way they would have appeared a month or more ago, but certainly not ones we could reasonably expect to win.

134. jp says:

RexLibris:
    Nice to see Yakupov getting ice time late in the game, there.

Would be almost like getting another #1 OV pick.

135. RexLibris says:

G Money,

That’s a fair suggestion.

The only wrinkle is that Eakins used to coach in the AHL and was credited with helping to develop players like Kadri. I think he is a teacher as well, and the stories about the pace of his practices would seem to reinforce it. However, he did do better with veterans than younger players at the NHL level and the way Hall, Eberle and Yakupov slid back under his tutelage gives rise to some interesting questions about his approach when he was here.

136. dangilitis says:

G Money: Yeah, I can see that potentially having played a part.

– Eakins says: “don’t do that, that’s a bad mistake!”It works with veteran players who know what to do and can use the feedback to prevent them from falling into bad habits.Massive fail with young players lacking the fundamentals.Would explain why the veterans like Gordon and Hendricks have played so well under Eakins while the youngsters have all regressed.

– Nelson says: “you made a mistake, what I want you to do is *this* instead!”And the message slowly gets through in a positive way.Veteran players still play well, but youngsters progress rather than regress.

Again: 100% conjecture.But like my previous “Vo2Max” training theory, I’m floating a trial balloon to try and explain what it is (I think) I see.

Basically, if your implication is correct, then Eakins’ strategy wasn’t working because he was not coaching…

137. dangilitis says:

The irony of it all was that when I first heard Eakins’ views on coaching/teaching, these strongly emphasized getting to know players as individuals/human beings, and then motivating them individually and finding ways for them to succeed. Very humanistic approach to education, striving for self-actualization amongst players for their betterment of and ultimately the benefit of the team. What we saw was a lot of X’s and O’s and systems-based instruction, a lot of talk about the team play, and occasional jabs at individuals.

Having followed Nelson since his hiring in OKC, he seems to espouse what I heard from Eakins, and practices what Eakins preached more soundly. Because the Oilers are essentially playing on a development team in a non-development league, Nelson’s methodology seems more sound, but would probably play out better for an NHL team as well, for the reasons you mentioned (vets get it but still respond to direction, youth need it more any ways)

138. G Money says:

dangilitis: But a coach, in my opnion, is mainly an educator, not a disciplinarian. You are basically implying that Eakins forgot how to facilitate learning amongst his young, inexperienced players, rather, he just informed them what they were doing was incorrect without any guidance as to how to succeed.

Well, I think you could make the argument that there is no single right way to coach, just as there is no single right way to teach, manage, etc. But I think it is quite supportable to argue that Eakins did NOT facilitate much in the way of learning amongst the young inexperienced players, but the veterans did quite well under his tutelage. I also think Eakins seemed to understand what was wrong and what was needed, so it wasn’t a failure of understanding.

So I’m suggesting not that he was not coaching, but that his coaching approach was not well suited to the team. As I said, trying to come up with a theory that fits the observations.

RexLibris: The only wrinkle is that Eakins used to coach in the AHL and was credited with helping to develop players like Kadri.

When Eakins’ background as a teacher/developer is brought up, Kadri is always brought up as the example. That said:
    – Kadri may have developed or improved, but I don’t think we can hold him up as any sort of world beater
    – To be considered an effective teacher, there has to be more than one, doesn’t there? Kadri seems to be the only example consistently brought up. Truth by repetition?
    – I have heard that the youth level of the teams he coached is overstated – that they were in fact more veteran than young. Not sure if I’ve seen anyone formally verify that, but that would be consistent with his results in Edmonton

139. G Money says:

dangilitis: a lot of talk about the team play, and occasional jabs at individuals.

Agreed. In fact, part of what drives my theory is a. the seemingly negative reinforcement approach that Eakins appears to project through the media, demeanour, etc. vs. b. the positive approach that I saw from Nelson on some clips that I watched on Oil Change a couple of years ago.

Again, just floating a theory, but trying to fit it with observations of both the two men as well as what we have seen from the players.

140. RexLibris says:

G Money,

Those are very good points and the item of Kadri that we’ve both discussed could also be the result of what we’ve also discussed here previously, that is that Eakins’ stock was high partially as a result of the work of the Toronto media.

He was a star coaching candidate based to some extent on his resume, but we can’t forget that for awhile there the media, fed mainly by TSN, was pushing first Guy Boucher, then Jon Cooper and then Dallas Eakins.

When Ralph Krueger was hired Tom Renney said he was ready to coach and I recall the After Hours interview with he, Scott Oake and Kelly Hrudey where Hrudey could barely take his eyes off Krueger for all the admiration he was showing him.

All these men came to us highly recommended and well thought of within the hockey community with a resume to recommend them, although whether it justified their ultimately being hired is another matter.

With the exception of Renney, they have been disappointments to some degree. I like what I’m seeing from Nelson’s team thus far, but I’ll need to see a whole lot more before I’m ready to suggest the Oilers need look no further for next year’s head coach.

141. Zangetsu says:

G Money,

I never considered him a teacher. That was TO smoke. They thought he was god because he was part of the leafs. Most in TO including many media guys can’t see past the desolate wasteland we call Saskatchewan to evaluate the true western teams.

142. Zangetsu says:

dangilitis,

Disciplinarian coaches never did it for me. I had a few who really pushed us hard, yelled and screamed, but they were really nice when we weren’t playing. So I wouldn’t really call them true disciplinarians. Best coach I ever had set the tone, set the rules, held people accountable for breaking the rules, but was very quick to forgive and give chances. The oilers imo need a guy like him. Someone to set the culture. To hold players accountable, but give them every opportunity to thrive. More than anything this team needs to find itself an identity.

143. riffraff says:

Nelson is a hockey guy, Eakins is an Eakins guy.

144. SwedishPoster says:

I think Eakins is a lesson in that if you want to hire from another org, you probably shouldn’t pick a guy from what has to be the worst franchise in the history of the NHL if you consider money and hockey culture. Toronto Maple Leafs is a badly run org and has been for decades. Why look there for coaches and players you hope are unsung heroes? If there’s any team in the NHL where a player will not fly under the radar and play well in the AHL without getting noticed it’s Toronto.

Fasth finally looked like himself tonight. He’s a high density goalie and tonight he showed that, very calm and collected in net. He gave Hall a piece of his mind after his bad giveaway as well.

Yak needs a shrink. Hope he gets some games with Pou and Roy, ended up in better positions and got some quick shots off that got blocked in the third.

What’s up with Pouliot and those dumb freaking o-zone penalties? Not the first time but probably the most stupid so far.

145. SwedishPoster says:

Fasth also did some solid reffing tonight. Probably hadn’t read the refs memo on how all calls should be slightly tilted in favour of the Wings. When in doubt, favour the Wings, old ref saying….

146. Tarkus says:

In light of Backes’ 4-goal performance:

Who was the last Oiler to pop 4 in a game? The mercurial Alexander Selivanov?

147. Ca$h-Money! says:

Tarkus:
    In light of Backes’ 4-goal performance:

Who was the last Oiler to pop 4 in a game?The mercurial Alexander Selivanov?

Sam Gagner vs. Chicago?

148. PhrankLee says:

Victor had a really good game. He will improve both his numbers with that one.

Channeling a little inner viking, as it were.

I would like to see him improve both stats through the second half here so we aren’t trading him for a 5th.

Though there are a few around here that would, seemingly, trade their mother (in-law) for a fifth…of single malt.

149. russ99 says:

frjohnk:
    First 20 games with Eakins

Oilers averaged 14.45 “box shots” for per game.

First 4 games with Nelson

Oilers averaged 10.5 “box shots” for per game.

Detroit game is not up yet, but Im pretty sure its less than 10.

4 games with Nelson.5 tip in/deflection shots

Before Nelson.36 tip in/deflection shots.

Still only averaging about 1 per game.

Calgary averages 2 per game.

Getting in space to shoot in high scoring areas beats garbage goals anytime.

I love how Nelson has minimized the cycle around the wall and emphasized getting the puck to the magic box. Even if those shots are down they sure seem like higher percentage shots to me.

If we keep doing that the garbage goals will come. I’d like to see some of our veteran wingers crash the net a bit more, though.

150. wheatnoil says:

I actually quite like Nelson, but before we attribute too much success to him, let’s remember that Edmonton was brutally dominated last night (as evidenced by shots, scoring chances, corsi, flow of play by eye) and Fasth kept them in the game. If the Oilers had that kind of goaltending in October, Eakins would still be the coach.

I remain unconvinced that this team is that much better but I am open to being swayed.

151. rickithebear says:

without pouliuots brain fart:
    todd nelson is likely 2-0-3 or 3-0-2

Since regulation wins are the on;ly reflection of playoff success.
    Todd Nelson would be 1-0-4
    but he is instead 1-1-3

HIS 1st reg loss.

152. Snowman says:

This team is clearly not better. They do some things better which translate into better hockey and might get them a couple extra points over the course of the year (the forecheck under Nelson looks much better so far). The goaltending is hiding reality a bit here.

However, they are still going to be utterly dominated by top teams, and middling teams and occasionally bad teams. To me the last few games are a step in the right direction in terms of effort, tempo and simplifying the game. Still miles and miles to go before real progress is seen but they’re at least facing the right direction at the moment.

In addition, I’m not sure why people think the Easter teams have a better chance losing.. They play weaker teams more often… I’ll take the Oilers losing to the West over anybody losing in the East. We only win in our own conference when the other team loses.

153. book¡je says:

riffraff:
    Nelson is a hockey guy, Eakins is an Eakins guy.

Let’s stick to intelligent and/or witty discussions about hockey and leave the playground level of rhetoric to other places on the Internet.

154. PhrankLee says:

book¡je: This is simply a nonsensical statement. Next we will be blaming Eakins hair for the team’s woes – oh, wait, that’s allready come up.

To be fair it never came up like that.

It was more along the lines of the team was doing better because our wives found Nelson eminently more bangable than Eakins.

Now that notion is juvenile, puerile, and all sorts of other ile but it was never touted as to why the oilers played badly.

We all know why they play badly…

And if Smytty’s mullet is magic, I dare you to deny that here, Nelson can be Rico Suave, Sven Gali, George Clooney all rolled up in one for our adoring wives.

155. Unicorns says:

The team has accumulated quite a few players that are below average skaters at the NHL level IMO. A step behind, posing no threat on attack. The hockey I like is about speed which puts opponents back. The only way slow works is for a grinding style with board battle monsters. Hardly the Oilers.

Lander, Fraser, Nikitin to start were painful. Contrast that with Petry’s fluid speed and how he closes down on players and moves the puck ahead because he can create a lane through movement. You can’t pin him in.

Watching the awful technique of too many players was also painful. Unpracticed, undisciplined, losing most one on ones. Good players do the same play the same way most of the time unless forced to do it differently by the play.

That’s why they are good, a practiced effective technique, like Gordon on face offs with his unusual style. Oiler forwards play along the boards other than a few guys have no idea what to do, how to get position, how to use their stick, and they mostly get nothing done.

The skill allows the odd breakthrough like Eberle last night. But his sneaky scoring was predicated on the higher than his level of play from Hopkins and Petry.

If Nelson can teach these guys how to do the little things right give him a lifetime membership to the Old Boys Club and the key to the exec bathroom.

MacT needs to stop acquiring immobile players. It doesn’t work these days. People go on about the Wings’ great young players – they aren’t big, they aren’t Stamkos, but they are blazing fast and get their noses dirty. Unless a player is ridiculously talented speed really makes the player a much better player. And nobody’s much good that won’t go to where the goals are scored.

Holland gets players with speed and backbone, Babcock makes them play that way. There are lots of smaller aggressive players that have success because they play without fear, ours just won’t play that way often enough.

If the Oilers manage to snag Mike that would be a coup. Other than him, there aren’t many recycled coaches I would hire to replace Nelson at this point.

156. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Jeff Petry is too good for the Oilers.

If I were in charge, I’d go to him with a mea culpa, a sincere apology, and 5x $5M and hope the takes it.

When he goes to another team, the hockey world is going to see that he was legit.
    It might have been his daddy whose name was (Dapper) Dan, but Petry is bona fide.

« Older Comments