OILERS AT BLUES, G44 2014-15

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was chosen to the All-Star team and that’s a big deal. At age 21 he’s beginning to gain recognition across the league as a more complete player and that reputation should only grow from here. I’m hoping for a Dave Keon career, more would be music!

OILERS FORWARDS HOCKEY CARDS, 2014-15 (CURRENT ROSTER)

PLAYER BOXCARS CORSI FOR % OZ STARTS 5X5 PER 60 SHOOT %
TAYLOR HALL 37, 11-17-28 50.9 56.5 2.13 9.6
DEREK ROY 7, 2-4-6 50.6 63.7 2.07 50.0
BENOIT POULIOT 25, 6-5-11 50.4 56.5 2.03 17.6
RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS 41, 11-14-25 50.7 57.9 2.02 11.7
JORDAN EBERLE 42, 11-15-26 51.4 60.2 1.72 10.8
MATT HENDRICKS 38, 5-5-10 47.7 18.5 1.58 8.5
TEDDY PURCELL 43, 5-13-18 51.9 57.1 1.22 9.1
ROB KLINKHAMMER 4, 0-1-1 52.2 48.4 1.12 0.0
BOYD GORDON 38, 5-3-8 44.5 18.7 0.91 12.5
NAIL YAKUPOV 43, 5-6-11 46.3 66.2 0.91 5.8
ANTON LANDER 6, 0-3-3 41.3 39.4 0.85 0.0
MATT FRASER 7, 2-0-2 47.8 49.7 0.74 16.7
LUKE GAZDIC 13, 0-0-0 45.5 67.3 0.00 0.0

The Oilers best players are finally emerging as their best players, with Hall and Nuge past 2.00/60 at 5×5 and Eberle on the way. Some wonky shooting percentages have Roy and Pouliot riding high and young Yakupov in the dungeon but that should straighten out someday. Matt Hendricks is having a tremendous season, Boyd Gordon too. Anton Lander, come on down! He has a pulse at even-strength scoring. Go Anton!

OILERS DEFENSE HOCKEY CARDS, 2014-15 (CURRENT ROSTER)

PLAYER BOXCARS CORSI FOR % OZ STARTS 5X5 PER 60 EV TOI
OSCAR KLEFBOM 21, 0-2-2 47.6 47.1 0.32 18:38
JEFF PETRY 42, 4-6-10 51.7 43.8 0.48 18:25
JUSTIN SCHULTZ 42, 3-14-17 49.9 61.0 1.09 18:10
ANDREW FERENCE 40, 2-5-7 48.1 41.8 0.60 18:10
NIKITA NIKITIN 28, 2-5-7 48.6 53.9 0.56 15:46
MARK FAYNE 43, 1-4-5 47.3 45.8 0.38 15:22
KEITH AULIE 13, 0-0-0 51.2 45.2 0.00 11:48

Klefbom now leads all defensemen in EV TOI and that’s unlikely to change any time soon. Petry is having a terrific year—notice the four goals (leading the team among D) along with the best Corsi For % (this is 5×5) on the club AND the second toughest zone starts. Le sigh. Matty has him heading to Pittsburgh or Detroit, I still say the Rangers or Montreal could be in the mix. Thinking it’ll be Eastern Conference.

DRAFTKINGS CHALLENGE! first lineup

Many of you have tried DraftKings and I haven’t, so they’ve offered me a chance to try it out—and you can benefit! Here’s how it works: I’ve picked a team for tonight and you can challenge me. If you beat me, you get the ($2) investment for free. If you win money, even better! Here’s the details:

• Enter here!
  • Details:
  • $10,000 prize pool.
  • First place wins $1,000
  • $2 entry fee (FREE with first deposit).
  • Top 1,150 are paid.​
  • Starts on Tuesday, January 13th at 7:00 PM EST
  • Salary Cap Style Drafting. $50,000 to select 9 spots. 8 players and 1 goalie.
  • Roster Format: 2 C, 3 W, 2 D, 1 G and 1 Util.
  • First time depositors at DraftKings receive a 100% bonus up to $600

If you do play, let me know if you enjoy the experience. Thanks!

OILERS V ST. LOUIS HEAD-TO-HEAD

stl hthIt’s pretty clear Edmonton is overmatched by the Blues in most every category. One thing the Oilers have improved on this year is their shots for and against. A year ago they were 26.9-32.9 (-6) in shot differential per game, now it’s -2. Oilers have a score-adjusted Corsi of 47.9 and if they can sustain all of this to the end of the season there will be some good things to talk about over the summer. Not many, mind you.

The Oilers under Kevin Lowe, Steve Tambellini and Craig MacTavish have lost their way in talent evaluation as it applies to defensemen. Examples of both are everywhere: Jason Smith was acquired in 1999 during the Sather regime and we haven’t seen that kind of successful transaction since (although the Steve Staois pickup under Kevin Lowe was a gem and of course Pronger—that was a once in a lifetime deal). Here are the trades by Craig MacTavish to address defense since he arrived as GM:

• Dealt Shawn Horcoff for a year of wobby Phil Larsen.
  • Dealt Teemu Hartikainen for a few weeks of Mark Fraser, January 2014.
  • Dealt a draft pick and spent a pile of money on Niki Nikitin, summer 2014.

This is not an area of strength. Now, Steve Tambellini had his own mistakes in this area (third-round pick for Mark Fistric, Tom Gilbert for Nick Schultz, Lubo for Whitney) so it’s been a black hole pretty much since Pronger arrived in Edmonton. The likely nadir for the category though was the brilliant trade that brought Jan Hejda to town, where he was promptly ignored until finding an NHL home in another town. Hejda has now played 550 productive NHL games since leaving the Capital.

Craig MacTavish is not strong in this area and if we add his free-agent additions the argument becomes more clear. All of these things are in the past now, there’s nothing that can be done. I do think there’s a great opportunity here for MacT and this is signing Jeff Petry. The Oilers evaluation of defensemen—the same process that sent Jan Hejda away, that has Martin Marincin in the minors, that made the call on Niki Nikitin—has concluded Jeff Petry is not part of the future. Craig MacTavish could stop this silliness today by picking up the phone and beginning the negotiations to keep Jeff Petry here for the rest of the decade. He clearly has doubts about Justin Schultz or there would be a long-term deal in place. I hope Craig MacTavish changes his mind on this player and begins to turn around the (more than) decade long string of atrocious decisions along the blue. If your evaluation churns out a thumbs down for Jan Hejda and a thumb’s up for Niki Nikitin, what does that tell you?

The problem is you develop a past. Fools never learn. Is Craig MacTavish as smart as some of us think he is? Or will he eventually lose his GM job because he could not see the clear and obvious problem in evaluating defensemen?

We wait.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

federko33

Bernie Federko is from Foam Lake, Saskatchewan. Years ago, I drove to the town with my wife and friend Gord Wilson (who has since passed, miss you buddy) to give out an award called “The Town of Renown” from CKCK Radio in Regina. It was an annual award that (honestly) communities valued a lot. That’s part of the charm of Saskatchewan, you have to live there for a time to appreciate how good the people are, without agenda or expectation.

Anyway, the award was to be given out at the rink (everything in Saskatchewan happens at the rink) and this was summer so it was pretty empty save for the event (and the band and the food and the people). We got there about one hour before things got rolling and I wandered to the middle of the rink, turned around and saw:

• A monster clock
  • An enormous picture of the Queen
  • An even larger picture of Bernie Federko

That’s one of my favorite Saskatchewan stories. Old time clock, Queen, Federko. Throw in a hard day’s work and 12 Pilsner and that’s pretty much the story of the people of Saskatchewan. There’s a lot to learn about life in watching how people live every day and for me I’ve never forgotten my time in that province. Whenever the Oilers play St. Louis, I think of Saskatchewan, and it’s because of CKCK Radio, Bernie Federko and a picture of the Queen.

Today on the Lowdown, 10 this morning on TSN 1260:

• Jonathan Willis, Oilers Nation and Cult of Hockey. Oilers on the road, Petry and Roy/Klinkhammer.
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. His trip to UND, Oil Kings at the deadline and can Kelowna be stopped?
  • Kate Cimini, Bleedin’ Blue and The Hockey Writers. We’ll talk about the Blues chances, that great line of theirs and the goalie situation.
  • Jeff Hauser, Radio Hauser. College football championship and NFL weekend.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Talk soon!

269 Responses to "OILERS AT BLUES, G44 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. leadfarmer says:

Hemsky scores tonight. Would be tied for fourth on this team. Le sigh.

2. leadfarmer says:

You can always prep for an upcoming colonoscopy. # Things more fun than watching the oilers.

3. Ben says:

Derek:
    If Nelson is promoting Dump & Chase hockey I think he should probably spend a little more time teaching the Chase portion.The next puck they retrieve on the forecheck will be the first one.

Score effects usually allow the team that’s down in the game to get within spitting distance in shots, especially when the game is out of reach by the end of the first period, yet here we are, the blues with over a 2:1 shot advantage.

But that’s exactly the point: the first period they play ‘dump’, the next two they play ‘chase’. “Dump and Chase”.

4. Derek says:

RexLibris:
    I offer the following submission as a “thing” for my fellow Lowetideans: Things I did rather than watch the Oilers game!

Have a conversation with the girlfriend that opens with her saying, “We need to talk…”

Oops, this is more, things I’d rather do, than things I did!

I’m seeing a lot of dump, that’s for sure.

6. RexLibris says:

leadfarmer:
    If anyone wants a good mystery book recommendation the snowman by Jo Nesbo is an entertaining read.

Nesbo has a few good mysteries, iirc. There are a number of Scandinavian murder authors making the rounds now. Mankell is another who is a favourite of many with his Wallander series. Indridason and Lackburg are others.

7. Ice Sage says:

Here we go Oilers. Big comeback in the works – playing the long game, 5 year rope-a-dope, KLowe knows this con, Let’s go Oilers I got the ‘clap clap’ tanks for the memories

8. RexLibris says:

leadfarmer:
    You can always prep for an upcoming colonoscopy.# Things more fun than watching the oilers.

Oh, man. That is a doozy. High colonic or Oilers/Blues? Tough one. At least with a colonoscopy they give you medication so you can’t remember the procedure. Hey! I think I just found a new concession stand opportunity for Rexall!

Picture the busker now: “FOR-GET YOUR HEEEERE! ANYONE? FOR-GET YOUR HEEEEEEEEERE! $2.00 FOR A PERIOD, $5 FOR THE WHOLE GAME!”

9. RexLibris says:

Detroit downs Buffalo 3-1.

Oilers need to play this one smart. Losing is good, but keep the goal differential in mind, now. Best make it a 4-0 loss, just to be certain.

On another note, I’m going to the Buffalo game here at the end of January. Won’t that be a hoot!

10. PunjabiOil says:

There were reports the Oilers liked Mathieu Perreault, who had good underlying numbers,, and yet they got outbid by Winnipeg.

The NN contract squandered away opportunity and flexibility.

That’s on MacT.

11. frjohnk says:

I’m seeing a lot of dump, that’s for sure.

Yes, to me that is a sign of a coach ( system) that is trying to limit mistakes.

Continually using the dump in is the safest play from a defensive point of view when entering the zone, but it just chokes the offensive life out of a team

Eakins did that last year when he ran out of answers.

12. Ben says:

Carolina suffers a devastating win this evening….

13. Lois Lowe says:

I’m seeing a lot of dump, that’s for sure.

Dumpcano!

14. jake70 says:

9 shots on goal.

15. frjohnk says:

PunjabiOil:

The NN contract squandered away opportunity and flexibility.

That’s on MacT.

I dont buy that MacT sat idle trying to get another center. Since he started as GM, he has made the most trades by any GM in the league

According to WG, they had a deal in place for Anisomov this summer.

According to Friedman, oilers inquired about Johannssen when contract talks between Blue Jackets and him were stalled.

Also according to Friedman, Mact offered Olli Jokinen more than what Nashville did, but he picked Nashville.

Mact also went after Perreault but how did he know how much other teams would offer someone like Perreault. Remember Perreault become a UFA because Anaheim would not qualify him,

These are the “tried to get a 2line C” we know about. Im sure there other talks MacT had with other GM’s that we will never know about.

If there was a good deal out there MacT had the cap space to get something done, but there wasn’t a good deal out there.

Lois Lowe: Dumpcano!

dumpNADO!

Pouliot breaks the ice, nice setup on the PP. I think Schultz and Eberle on the assists.

18. El Duderino says:

freedomisamyth:
    Jeff Petry is definitely top 5 in my ‘narratives I hate’.

Fact: We have no idea what Jeff Petry’s agent has asked for, money wise.
    Fact: We have no idea if he even wants to sign.
    Fact: He usually plays the most out of any of the defensemen, and has been chosen to go against the opponents best most of the year.

Any narratives around the oilers not ‘liking’ Petry come from the flimsy evidence of:
    1) Being press-boxed, once or twice…just like practically every other defenseman (Ference notwithstanding, being captain and all).
    2) Only signing a one year contract.
    3) Vague accusations of the Oilers not liking his player type (Tom gilbert etc).
    4) Persistent rumors that there is very little chance of him being signed.
    5) Some quotes saying he’d be open to talking

There’s a million scenarios that can come out the facts as they are, such as:
    1) MacT isn’t interested in the player, despite them playing him more than anyone, which are clearly contradictory.
    2) MacT lowballed Petry in the summer and pissed Petry off and now he is not going to sign.
    3) Petry wanted more than MacT was willing to pay for a longer term contract, and so he signed him to a one year, hoping to get him to either sign a reasonable contract, or prove he deserves what he is asking for. The shitty year of the team made Jeff not want to come back anyways.
    4) MacT gave his cap room to Nikitin, so he can’t sign him now (there’s a million ways to rectify that so this one seems very silly to me, but I’ve seen it many times on here).

Which narrative you choose all depends on your bias, as none of them really has much evidence. The strongest piece of evidence though is that they play Jeff so much, so any narrative around the Oilers trading/not signing him because they don’t like him seems a bit weird to me. A narrative that they don’t like him enough to pay what he is asking for is still in play, but that’s not what most of you seem to be going for. It’s all ‘MacT likes crappy D and hates good d! and to fix things he just has to change his mind and give Jeff a call!’.

19. Ben says:

Glad to see the PP coming around.

Of the endless list of things that have gone horribly wrong this year, to me that was the least forgivable.

If the Oilers come back and tie this game, someone will have to be traded.

21. Ben says:

Buffalo on pace for almost -140 goal dif.

Record? -265, by the 1974–75 Washington Capitals. Goodness effing gracious.

Still, no way the Oil can out-skulk the Sabres. We finish 2nd. 5th place Calgary wins lottery. We take off-the-board BCJHL coke machine 3rd. Music!

22. hunter1909 says:

Despite Carolina’s tragic win, Oilers under Nelson seem bound to pass at very least Buffalo which impacts the McDavid/Eichel situation.

It’s becoming increasingly obvious that by the time MacT learns his job he might already be dead.

Is this how the Chicago Cubs got started?

I like Pouliot. He’s good.

24. hunter1909 says:

Nice pathetic play by Taylor Hall who probably has his trade request typed.

25. hunter1909 says:

I like Pouliot. He’s good.

You’ve been waiting since 2003 to say that.

26. Yeti says:

El Duderino: I just want to narrate that I really enjoyed your narrative about the narratives about the Oilers. You should narrate more often so we can narrate back to you about your narratives. However you may not like my narrative and you may wish to narrate back to me on that.

Just to note, I always prefer it when you meme me. Feel free to meme me more and more!

27. RexLibris says:

Neil Young Zuma. Man that’s a good record.

Rex: Things I’d rather do? Fight fires in 40 below.

Wow. I thought you held out hope yet. But that is bad!

28. Pouzar says:

Auston Matthews ’16: The Newsroom is also excellent.

I’ll be watching it soon.

Yeah I hear that’s a good one.

29. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: I was mulling this over trying to think of a way to turn it.

Well done!

Indeed!

30. Auston Matthews '16 says:

hunter1909: You’ve been waiting since 2003 to say that.

Hiyo!!!

31. Pouzar says:

hunter1909: You’ve been waiting since 2003 to say that.

Oh no he diiiitt-ennt!

32. oliveoilers says:

Let’s not be too disheartened. Of scheduled losses, this was a scheduled scheduled loss to a very good team that has scored eleventy billion goals in the last few games. It’s Florida we should have spanked in our own barn, not St Louis on the road.

Poo IS a scallywag, isn’t he?

33. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Pouzar: Yeah I hear that’s a good one.

Although I have an urge to watch The Purge. Not sure why.

34. Pouzar says:

Auston Matthews ’16: Although I have an urge to watch The Purge. Not sure why.

35. sliderule says:

We dress our “tough guy” recovering from injury.

The Blues only player that ever rubs it in oilers face is Backes.

Our so called “tough guy ” never goes near him.

Wtf .

36. Auston Matthews '16 says:

oliveoilers,

This was a ‘sure lock’, ‘no doubt ‘, guaranteed beat-down. It actually didn’t end too badly.

37. RexLibris says:

So, the Jets spanked Florida 8-2 and Pittsburgh beats down Minnesota 7-2.

A 4-2 loss to the Blues doesn’t look so bad in this context.

38. sliderule says:

Ii am so tired of oilers being pushed around like a bunch of pansies

I don’t want them to win another game if they keep letting everybody rub it in

Bring up Echl goons like isles did.It turned them into a team.

39. RexLibris says:

War on Ice has the score adjusted Corsi at 40/31 for the Blues, although I expect that flatters the Oilers a touch.

40. gmac2412 says:

leadfarmer,

I have read all of Nesbo’s Harry Hole series of novels. All a great read and definitely worth checking out. The Wallander books by Henning Mankel are also a good read.

If you are into that dysfunctional, alcoholic yet awesome detective type storyline that isn’t by a Scandinavian, I can highly recommend the Rebus series by Ian Rankin or the Banks series by Peter Robinson.

41. Lois Lowe says:

Pouzar,

The Wire is one of the best drama series I have ever watched. Tons of social commentary presented in a complex and nuanced manner.

42. RexLibris says:

gmac2412:
    leadfarmer,

Scots + Swedes = grisly murder authors.

Who knew?

43. hunter1909 says:

sliderule:
    Ii am so tired of oilers being pushed around like a bunch of pansies

I don’t want them to win another game if they keep lettingeverybody rub it in

Bring up Echl goons like isles did.It turned them into a team.

Forget it. Cerebral MacT wouldn’t even let Laraque fight back in the day.

44. oliveoilers says:

sliderule:
    We dress our “toughguy” recovering from injury.

The Blues only player that ever rubs it in oilers face is Backes.

Our so called “tough guy ” never goes near him.

Wtf .

Backes has 6G and 10pts in four games. And Gazdic would be on the ice at the same time as him why?

Oilers make strange decisions, but even they know Gazdic doesn’t share the ice with Backes or those like him.

45. hunter1909 says:

RexLibris: Scots + Swedes = grisly murder authors.

Who knew?

Cold weather climate tribes like to keep warm by feuding.

46. hunter1909 says:

Lois Lowe:
    Pouzar,

I like Fox News in much the same way.

47. hunter1909 says:

oliveoilers: Backes has 6G and 10pts in four games.And Gazdic would be on the ice at the same time as him why?

48. hunter1909 says:

Solid tank night.

49. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Pouzar: I hear The Wire is quite good…not sure when/where I can watch it but it’s on the list.

Somehow this shocks me. Must see television, but not around your young one! Unless ear muffs!

50. Diesel says:

My thoughts:

The Wire is fantastic.

DraftKings is a great platform that I use almost daily. The app is top notch.

Hello Ladies is a worthwhile new-ish comedy on HBO. Steve Merchant has always been top-notch.

The Newsroom is enjoyable if you can overlook the sometimes overwhelmingly gimmicky dialogue.

The Oilers are not a good NHL team.

sliderule:
    Ii am so tired of oilers being pushed around like a bunch of pansies

I don’t want them to win another game if they keep lettingeverybody rub it in

Bring up Echl goons like isles did.It turned them into a team.

I’m more concerned with the 60 minutes that came before it but I’m funny that way.

52. VanOil says:

RexLibris: grisly murder authors

I love this place I have just added 20 new novels to my to read list, and through the magic of the internet have them lined up and ready to read.

I knew tonight would be ugly but not download 20 novels of Scandinavian Noir ugly.

53. Snowman says:

Games like this are the toughest to watch. We’re miles from home and its raining harder by the minute.

54. Kitchener says:

McWin.

55. VOR says:

I’d recommend Jussi Adler-Olsen the Danish mystery writer. His Department Q series with the unbelievably lazy and difficult Carl Morck at the center of every book has breathed new life into the police procedural. Adler-Olsen manages to be very dark and very funny at the same time. These books (there are now 5 of them) also expose North America to the dirty underbelly of Denmark the happiest nation on Earth.

56. PerryK says:

hunter1909: Gadzic knows that unless he starts something he can pack his backs tonight. How about team mates?

If he was ever on the ice with Backes, why did he not pick anything? That is 2 games in a row that Nuge was getting “handled” by Backes! I don’t care what year or century this is! I know that it isn’t right to let Nuge fend for himself against that moron!

I think that Semenko TODAY, would have done better!

Frustrating!

57. Kitchener says:

Seems like a good week to be pessimistic. Even with the Bettman singles, here’s the league’s current win-loss standings for ultimate polarity:

Wins:
    29 – Nashville
    29 – NYI (!!)
    28 – Chicago
    27 – Anaheim
    27 – Tampa
    27 – St. Louis

Losses:
    27 – Buffalo
    25 – Edmonton
    24 – Carolina

I don’t support a strategy of tanking on purpose, but I can still cheer for McWins for kicks. If the Oil want to maintain their rep as a tank superpower, they have work to do.

58. PerryK says:

Change the coach if you can’t “arrange” that as a coach! Easy enough to arrange. No excuse for what Backes has done the last 2 games!

59. jp says:

RexLibris:
    You know, I was okay with Gaudreau as a player.

Small kid who’s been told he can’t cut it makes good on skill and a sense of the game.

Then I see this and it just ticks me off: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/flames-rookie-files-trademark-applications-for-johnny-hockey-1.181721

42 games in the NHL and you think this is appropriate? I get the marketing angle, but this just screams hubris to me.

Yeah that bothers me as well. I mean you’ve gotta make a living, but you do not need to trademark your nickname.

From his agent: “We were concerned that people were going to abuse the Johnny Hockey name, coming out with Johnny Hockey shirts and stuff and we wanted to make sure that did not occur,” Lewis Gross, Gaudreau’s agent, told TSN. “We felt that Johnny was going to be a special player and if he takes off the way we felt he could, he has the potential to have endorsement opportunities that could be very valuable.”

60. jp says:

RexLibris:

I really hate it when the Oilers lose to the other “worst” teams in the league.

61. Suntory Hanzo says:

Pouzar,

Bbillo@gmail.com

62. dangilitis says:

Horcoff 16 pts, Hemsky 17 pts, Cole 20 pts

How fucked up is it that these “rejects” would currently be producing top 6 offensive production on the current Oilers team? Not to mention veteran leadership and humility.

I should also point out that Hemsky wasn’t used effectively for half the season and Cole has been injured.

Petry is as good as gone. Maybe they can sell the draft picks they get in return for Sekera?

63. kooler says:

dangilitis,

Perron 2 goals 1 assist tonight.

64. 719 says:

kooler:
    dangilitis,

Perron 2 goals 1 assist tonight.

Rubbing salt in the wound?

65. Zelepukin says:

719: Rubbing salt in the wound?

Pretty easy when you’ve got Crosby and Letang giving you beauty feeds vs. trying to get end-to-end, then cycle the puck with yourself in the corners, then try and snipe from a ridiculous angle.

66. MenovOil says:

First two paragraphs of the Pittsburgh game report froma last night: “Languishing on a perpetually rebuilding team for more than a year taught David Perron a valuable lesson about confidence.

Good teams have them. Bad ones not so much. After wasting away in Edmonton, Perron has rediscovered his soft hands – and the back of the net – in Pittsburgh.”

*Sigh* Our teams is five years away from five years of not being a complete joke.

67. Ryan says:

MenovOil:

That’s about as close as a guy can come in this world to the proverbial ‘dying and going to heaven.’

One day you’re on the Oilers third line centered by Marcobello getting your teeth kicked in game in and game out…The next day you’re on the Penguins top line centered by Crosby. Jeebus.

68. Pouzar says:

Suntory Hanzo: Pouzar, The Wire is fantastic. Unlike any other show. The first season brilliant, the second odd as it changed focus of characters, then the 3rd on go back to great. I’m pretty judgy as a theatre and film teacher. We seem to have the same taste in shows. Feel free to email me and we can talk further. Bbillo@gmail.com

Cheers! will do

Thanks for the feedback everyone….what a place!

69. russ99 says:

Derek:

They’ve obviously moved away from the cycle and that helps us most nights.

Cycling against the large majority of teams in the West are playing right into our opponent’s strengths, i.e. we keep the puck, but we can’t do anything with it, as we saw for much of the season under Eakins’ possession-oriented systems.

As long as we’re getting quality shots, we don’t have to “chase”, i.e. force possession instead of getting the puck into high scoring areas, which is exactly what we did during our recent wins/Bettman points.

We had low chance of beating St. Louis on the road anyway, so I’m not going to assume Nelson is incorrect from this one game. The Panthers and Capitals road games will be a better tell.

« Older Comments