The trade deadline is 39 days away and we’ll see a few recalls to Edmonton over the final weeks of the 2014-15 season. Trades, injuries and ‘getting a look’ at some expiring RFA contracts could all contribute to the names we see over the next few weeks. Here’s a quick look at some of the names we may see before season’s end.
- R Iiro Pakarinen, 36GP, 16-11-27. RFA 2016: He’s the most likely player to be called up but there doesn’t seem to be a player at his position heading out of town. Eberle, Purcell, Yakupov and new hire Klinkhammer are all in the NHL and likely to remain. Injuries may contribute.
- D Martin Marincin 24GP, 0-6-6 RFA 2015. I think the Oilers will retain him but am unsure about a recall. Marincin’s punishment this season is extremely similar to Theo Peckham’s and there’s a chance they trade him or allow him to sign in Europe while retaining his rights. There’s a fracture here, would give money to know what he said, and to whom.
- C-L-R Andrew Miller, 40gp, 15-19-34 RFA 2015: Miller has been playing well over the last month and with Arcobello gone there may be an opportunity. The Oilers may want to get a look at him and Miller can play multiple positions. I’m not sure he’s seen as an NHL option by the Oilers.
- D Brad Hunt, 27gp, 8-19-27 RFA 2015: I think the Oilers have him surrounded but they may call him up when Petry is dealt and Nikitin is moved to right side. He certainly helps the power play.
- D Brandon Davidson 28gp, 2-4-6 RFA 2015. They like him
- L Curtis Hamilton 36gp, 8-12-20 RFA 2015. Hamilton took forever to show an offensive pulse but it appears to have arrived. If he were in the Detroit system one suspects he would be viewed as a prospect, I’m not sure how the Oilers feel about him.
- D Jordan Oesterle 41gp, 5-14-19 RFA 2016. Puck-moving defender has some chaos in his game but there’s no doubt he can also help offensively. College man, his progress this season must have been noticed.
- C Bogdan Yakimov 37gp, 6-10-16 RFA 2017. Big man probably needs this and next season in the AHL but the Oilers don’t waste time with guys they like and this is a MacT selection. That may contribute to another cup of coffee this season.
- R Steve Pinizzotto 13gp, 1-9-10 UFA 2015. He played well enough in the NHL to stay in my opinion, not sure if he gets another chance. These guys sometimes cash in with a solid Euro contract, KHL situation may change that option.
- D Dillon Simpson 38gp, 2-7-9 RFA 2017. Quietly playing himself up the depth chart and these college men usually step forward in their first 100 AHL games (or less). It’s tough to know what the organization feels about him but it wouldn’t surprise me if he gets a cup of coffee.
- G Laurent Brossoit 22gp, 2.62 .915 RFA 2016. A recent shoddy effort has his numbers hurting but this has been a strong season for the goalie. Edmonton may want to reward him down the stretch with a cup of coffee.
- L Josh Winquist 16gp, 4-4-8 unsigned. This is an interesting item to follow, Edmonton needs to make a decision on him before the off season. He’s improved and moved up the depth chart and I think he gets a contract. Will he play in the NHL this season? Unlikely.
BARONS SCORING (RE) 2014-15
|R MATT FORD||66||26||26||52|
|C BOGDAN YAKIMOV-rookie||64||22||23||45|
|R ANDREW MILLER||65||14||30||44|
|D BRAD HUNT||57||7||33||40|
|C JASON WILLIAMS||60||15||21||36|
|L RYAN HAMILTON||56||15||17||32|
|L IIRO PAKARINEN-rookie||60||17||14||31|
|L MITCHELL MOROZ-rookie||70||15||15||30|
|L CURTIS HAMILTON||60||13||15||28|
|R STEVE PINIZZOTTO||57||11||17||28|
|D MARTIN GERNAT||64||5||20||25|
|C JUJHAR KHAIRA-rookie||57||7||16||23|
|C WILL ACTON||44||6||17||23|
|L JESSE JOENSUU||35||10||11||21|
|C TRAVIS EWANYK||61||6||10||16|
|R MITCH HOLMBERG-rookie||35||7||7||14|
|D BRANDON DAVIDSON||65||4||10||14|
|D DILLON SIMPSON-rookie||50||3||11||14|
|L KELLEN JONES-rookie||28||3||9||12|
|L JOSH WINQUIST-rookie||35||7||4||11|
|D C.J. LUDWIG-rookie||35||3||7||10|
|C CONNOR JONES-rookie||28||2||8||10|
|D DAVID MUSIL||70||1||9||10|
|D GRAEME CRAIG-rookie||40||2||6||8|
|D JORDAN OESTERLE-rookie||50||1||6||7|
|D OSCAR KLEFBOM||25||0||5||5|
|L KALE KESSY||30||2||2||4|
Jordan Oesterle is kicking my ass, Dillon Simpson is about right and Pakarinen has already reached the RE. Rookies who aren’t getting (or weren’t getting) enough playing time to match the projections include Bogdan Yakimov, Mitchell Moroz and Jujhar Khaira. I did predict Winquist would have success.
Among veterans, I’m liking Miller, Hunt, Hamilton and Pinizzotto for covering the bet.
RE 2014-15 GOALIES
- Richard Bachman 40GP, 2.75 .915
- Laurent Brossoit 20GP, 3.00 .902
- Ty Rimmer 10GP, 2.90 .907
- Frans Tuohimaa 3GP, 3.33 .899
- Tyler Bunz 3GP 3.66 .885
Brossoit is killing it now, Bachman too. Opposite of NHL goaling this season. Barons play tonight, I’ll update as we roll.