HALL DAY-TO-DAY, PETRY DAY-BY-DAY

Coach Todd Nelson told us that Taylor Hall is ‘day to day with a bone bruise’ and that’s good news for Oilers fans. Whatever else you think about Taylor Hall (I’ve found a wide range of opinions on this player, which is baffling), arguing the team is better without him is insane. I can’t imagine he’ll pass on the Buffalo game unless they put him in a straitjacket so will assume we’ll see Chance tomorrow.

PETRY

Still can’t get over how well he’s playing lately and last night was splendid. Physical, reliable, rangy and speedy, I keep hoping MacT sees him good and has a change of heart. Never say never, and we know Dellow will be in there like a dirty shirt talking up the college man. Let’s not get our hopes up but if the coach and GM see a corner being turned? Music! Price won’t be cheap though. Thanks again Mr Tambellini.

AHL PACIFIC

All over the webs today, the AHL is moving west and until California slides into the ocean it looks like the NHL’s Pacific Division will also house an AHL division in the land of milk and honey. The Oilers may have a helluva team there next season (Nurse, Leon, others) but the other clubs are developing talent at a fever pitch too. It’s the first thing we can get a little excited about, as the head-to-head against AHL Kings and Ducks should by dynamite. Television? I’d subscribe.

Leon’s back and should be able to put on quite a show for Edmonton fans. There are rumblings his defensive game is an issue in the WHL but these are early days. I don’t think we should worry too much, as Leon has the acumen to play the middle (we saw that in the NHL) so this might be a demotion hangover or a systems thing. Leon is delivering offensively (8gp, 4-8-12) and that’s the most important thing. Dominate offensively, have a deep run, come back next fall and start all over again. These months in junior are going to be important for Leon and the boxcars are mammoth. Have success at this level and then meet the next challenge.

33 Responses to "HALL DAY-TO-DAY, PETRY DAY-BY-DAY"

1. VanOil says:

I wonder/hope if Pavel Zacha’s injury (out for 2 or 3 weeks) will accelerate his falling on the draft boards. I would love for him to fall all the way to the Pits Pick.

Is there any TV tonight for Draisaitl’s big return to Northlands?

2. russ99 says:

My only problem with the AHL West division is that it erodes the traditional upstate NY/Mass/Conn AHL hotbed, and if say the Kings move the Monarchs, would Manchester ever get a AHL club again?

It’s punishing fan bases who have highly supported their team to bring the affiliate closer to home.

So for now it’s looking like us, San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Colorado and Phoenix, with Vancouver back to Abbottsford and Calgary likely following in 2016 – and Winnipeg dumping the maritimes for Thunder Bay.

I can’t help but compare this to Bettman expanding the NHL to non-traditional markets…

3. Zangetsu says:

If i were coach we’d be playing shoot the duck all practice with slapshots. Buffalo is a must lose game.

I don’t think buffalo gets mcdavid or eichel. I think many are forgetting they are a cursed sports city. Nothing good will ever happen to fans there. They are doomed to be taunted by happiness only to be disappointed.

russ99:

I definitely believe Manchester is moving.

5. KSC10032 says:

I’m frequently accused of being too cynical, but I’m hoping the Oilers are being honest — in this instance — about the true nature of Hall’s medical situation.

They’ve clearly been guilty of fudging injury reports in the past and the lingering stench of Souray’s past claims @ the Oilers management pressuring players to come back too soon is still in the air.

Until there is reason to have 100% faith in such matters, I believe there remains questions about Hall, and others, playing hurt.

6. HiddenDarts says:

russ99,

I sometimes wonder if that region is far, far over-saturated with hockey teams. This is the American Hockey League, right? Not the Northeast American Hockey League.

Will those cities ever get teams again? Well, according to this:

As you can see, Manchester is the attendance winner amongst these teams at #13 in the league, and then Norfolk at #16.

After that, you can see that every team here is in the bottom 7 of the AHL as far as attendance goes.

So Manchester, probably. Norfolk, maybe. But the other teams nobody seems to care about anyway!

7. hunter1909 says:

KSC10032:

This is the reason Lowe+MacT needs to go. They’re together on record playing hard case together as they both mock the young players of today.

Darnell Nurse looks as ornery a player as the team’s had since McSorely.

8. hunter1909 says:

Just because there’s a historical chance of a defense prospect busting hardly makes for not drafting any in the top ten of the draft. Or top five.

If your team is serious about winning, they go for it.

9. supernova says:

russ99:

russ99,

I personally think some of these markets will have other teams move back into them in a few years.

A domino effect.

It sounds like Manchester has been a plus AHL franchise for years, typically every offseason we are looking at which AHL teams are still stable.

On the same note I also sort of expect OKC to re-emerge after a few years as a spot for minor pro hockey. Either AHL or ECHL. Also NBA might take a dive if Kevin Durant leaves.
    If the AHL is successful in California, it is logical that the next few states will look to get teams in the west central part of the country.

The California AHL move should have lots of impact good and bad on many markets.

10. Tire Fire says:

It was nice to see MC79 stop in to see who’s still alive around here. Too bad he doesn’t have time to come here more often, I have a theory I really want to run by him. It could really revolutionize the field of puck bunny spillover.

11. v4ance says:

Tire Fire,

I sense that Tyler will be busier than ever with Oilers soon. With addition of corsi/fenwick to NHL.com, they can officially be used in arbitration hearings. Every team will need an analytics specialist to help teams win in arbitration and Tyler’s already in place.

v4ance:
    Tire Fire,

I sense that Tyler will be busier than ever with Oilers soon.With addition of corsi/fenwick to NHL.com, they can officially be used in arbitration hearings.Every team will need an analytics specialist to help teams win in arbitration and Tyler’s already in place.

13. LadiesloveSmid says:

Tire Fire:
    It was nice to see MC79 stop in to see who’s still alive around here.Too bad he doesn’t have time to come here more often, I have a theory I really want to run by him.It could really revolutionize the field of puck bunny spillover.

Really did like his twitter and thoughts on most players/teams. Miss that, though hopefully it pays off with the oilers

14. jake70 says:

“I can’t imagine he’ll pass on the Buffalo game unless they put him in a straitjacket so will assume we’ll see Chance tomorrow”

This suggests you think the player has some say in his return from injury? Even if they want to “put him in a straight jacket” because they are concerned about his health? Point here is many think they rush players back from injury – I wonder how much the players contribute to the decision. After the Souray fiasco, I just can’t see the Oilers messing with this, and the player agents would be well aware of Souraygate and would be part of free agent discussions and they still sign free agents, not high end, but nonetheless.

15. jake70 says:

HiddenDarts:
    russ99,

Will those cities ever get teams again? Well, according to this:

Out here in Atlantic Canada, we had AHL teams in Halifax, Sydney, Fredericton, Saint John, Moncton, Saint Johns (presently) and Charlottetown over the years. All gone and basically now are all QMJHL cities. AHL has been a fickle league, never know where a team will pop up or fold their tent.

16. lance says:

Better without Hall? No one actually thinks that. I do wonder what pieces they could get in a trade, if he could return doughty oil do it in a second. If its ryjo and a series of 1st’s, again, go. But no one thinks the team is better without Hall.

Listening to quotes over the last six months or a year, he seems to be a different bird than before. To me there is real hope that chance has changed. I mean, I did have some semblance of success in my youth and its a bitch to repeat. I was certain that I was set up for success in all fields and when that realization sunk in that in fact I was not, it was a tough bit. Emerged humility, some arcane philosophical prowess, a functional marriage and a wild new career. Change can happen. I do believe your boy has done this work. But better without? Like addition by subtraction? I believe no one actually is suggesting that.

How are the donations rolling lately? Is it time we all re-up?

17. Snowman says:

I’m not sure a bone bruise is a positive. Bone bruises can be severely painful for months. I don’t think its likely but its possible that this injury could be his longest lasting injury to date.

I wish I could have had a chance to read some of Tyler’s work. I didn’t really start paying attention until the very tail end and now I feel as though I missed out on an education. (Although LT, WG and others are certainly teaching me more than I can handle)

18. eidy says:

Interesting read on Aiden Muir. Only 2 months older than Leon. Good to see he is getting some good minutes as a freshman as well as some time on special teams

I also wonder if Edmonton doesn’t view Muir’s teammate Kenny Morrison as a Petry replacement. He was linked to Edmonton in the past and they got Oesterle from there last year. Last year he was at LAK development camp, but the year before he was in Edmonton I think

No points for Leon tonight, Jarry was the star. I’ll have Corey Graham on tomorrow’s show to talk about Leon’s game. The increase in minutes from NHL to WHL must be interesting.

20. smellyglove says:

I dunno about Drai…

9 games, 12 points. He’s draft+1 with NHL experience and on a 109 point pace (82 game season). Using Desjardins’ 0.43 WHL-NHL conversion, that’s a ~45 point pace. Not exactly knock it outta the park pace.

21. Hammers says:

The thing with a player like Hall is his gung ho and the decision shouldn’t be his but the medical staff . At this stage his playing or he would be on IR and Pakirinen called up . If Gazdic plays again Nelson may as well kiss his chance good bye . Time for some trades or at least a recall or 2 . I expected it by the end of this month but any time now will suit me .

22. Suntory Hanzo says:

Side question:

The Vancouver Province (like Edmonton Sun) posts a small section on advanced stats after every game in the writeup – generally Corsi. Do the Edmonton Papers do that?

23. Tire Fire says:

LadiesloveSmid: I don’t know how much of it would be credited to how busy he is. I’d think you just can’t post what you think of an org’s move/what an org should do/critique-comment on players when you work for them.

There’s a chance I wasn’t being super serious about my “theory” of puck bunnies spilling over onto the team staff…

24. Suntory Hanzo says:

russ99,

I would love for the AHL to come back to Abbotsford. Those games were fun. Cheap – especially on the $1 Hotdog and $2 Beer night. Except for seeing students there on the cheap…awkward…

25. book¡je says:

Lowetide: Good point. I’d also have him run some models for minor league/major league numbers. There ARE players in the AHL whose age/offense implies future success. they should be available for less than 100 cents on the dollar

Kevin – “Hey Taylor, can you measure how clutch a player is with your fancy stats?”

Tyler – ” It’s Tyler, and no, you can’t really measure clutch because its not really a thing.”

Kevin – ” Tyler – Taylor – I don’t see any difference, now what the hell are you going on about, of course clutch is a thing. I played with Glenn Anderson – huge clutch guy! A little different, but still – clutch.”

Tyler – ” Glenn Anderson scored at the same rate in the playoffs as he did in the regular season.”

Kevin – “That’s the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Can you at least count? Can you count up to six? I got six reasons that tell me that clutch exists, now get the hell out of here”

Tyler – “Sigh…”

smellyglove:
    I dunno about Drai…

New team, new linemates, playing probably 8-10 more minutes a night. I suspect they sent him down in time. If Kelowna has a long run this spring he should post some very good numbers.

27. Capitalist says:

Clutch doesn’t exist now?
    This is why the Oilers and Leafs will always be failures.
    While they beat the bushes looking for some under-valued 5-11 175 FW with well-groomed Corgis, the teams who win Cups will be just getting good players, which haven’t been a mysterious, undiscovered element on the Periodic Table.
    You didn’t invent fire, nerds.

Capitalist:
    Clutch doesn’t exist now?
    This is why the Oilers and Leafs will always be failures.
    While they beat the bushes looking for some under-valued5-11 175 FW with well-groomed Corgis, the teams who win Cups will be just getting good players, which haven’t been a mysterious, undiscovered element on the Periodic Table.
    You didn’t invent fire, nerds.

If clutch exists, it shows up in the numbers. History tells us that if you wait for a large enough sample, truth is out there. Glenn Anderson WAS clutch, all the time! Or he wasn’t clutch at all and scored at an equal rate through his career.

This is the kind of thing that we all stumble on, or at least the non-math folks so, but there’s a simple explanation.

29. LMHF#1 says:

You can safely call a guy like Mariano Rivera clutch then, yes?

ERA dropped more than a point in the post season.

30. SoCaloil says:

….house an AHL division in the land of milk and honey

Wisconsin ?

More like lettuce and grapes 😉

I think this reshuffle will be good

On a side note, will the oil kings remain in the coliseum next yr?

31. Kmart99 says:

eidy:
    Interesting read on Aiden Muir. Only 2 months older than Leon.Good to see he is getting some good minutes as a freshman as well as some time on special teams

I also wonder if Edmonton doesn’t view Muir’s teammate Kenny Morrison as a Petry replacement.He was linked to Edmonton in the past and they got Oesterle from there last year.Last year he was at LAK development camp, but the year before he was in Edmonton I think

Nice read. Hope he can bump up that offense with some extra minutes next year.

32. oliveoilers says:

v4ance:
    Tire Fire,

I hope the inclusion of corsi/fenwick in arbitration doesn’t happen – players on crappy teams would get paid less than players on good teams, leading to nobody wanting to play for crappy teams. There would be a lot of unforeseen implications, both long term and short term.

33. rickithebear says:

smellyglove:
    I dunno about Drai…

Leon was an age based NHLE of 70 pts He is currently performing at a 50 Pt pace.
    Versus
    Bennetts 85pt.
    But a 5’11.5″ 180 lb playing a power game. Concern for injuriy cycle.

Every player has there attacking tendency in Junior.
    Early Production is dependent on
    Draisatl seems to allways attack from the right side.
    Deeclerates past center of half circle.
    He has to strengthen to learn a more effective drive.

But the player he most reminds me of Hossa.
    6’1″ 210lb great puck distribution.
    Good luck getting the PUCK.
    His 18 yr WHL season said 55PT
    .14 PPG NHL @ 18
    .50 PPG @19
    .71 PPG @ 20
    .82 PPG @ 22 playing with Alfredson; Bonk;

I suspect based on Draisatl’s tendency he might end up being a set-up right wing.
    He will need to Work on his shot like RNH.