YAKIMOV IN THE AHL

After a slow start, Bogdan Yakimov is showing up in a good way compared to other 20-year old AHL players. The Barons haven’t enjoyed many strong performances from 20-year old forwards over the years but the young Russian appears to be bucking the trend.

Top 20-year old scorers in the AHL, 2014-15

35. Troy Bourke (LAE) 27gp, 5-8-13
  36. Gemel Smith (TEX) 36gp, 5-8-13
  37. Brock McGinn (CHA) 42gp, 5-8-13
  38. Trevor Carrick (CHA) 43gp, 4-9-13
  39. Ryan Rupert (TOR) 23gp, 5-7-12
  40. Griffin Reinhart (BST) 29gp, 3-9-12
  41. Julius Honka (TEX) 38gp, 4-8-12 (18 years old)
  42. Slater Koekkoek (SYR) 41gp, 3-9-12
  43. Scott Laughton (LEH) 13gp, 6-5-11
  44. Josh Anderson (SPR) 39gp, 4-7-11
  45. Dylan Blujus (SYR) 39gp, 1-10-11
  46. Radek Faksa (TEX) 32gp, 4-6-10
  47. Henri Ikonen (SYR) 42gp, 5-5-10

The best 20-year old forward in Barons history so far was probably Teemu Hartikainen (66gp, 17-25-42). Yakimov is unlikely to pass those numbers but his January has been very good. Barons play tonight, I’ll update in comments section as well as posting on CHL and college scores.

70 Responses to "YAKIMOV IN THE AHL"

1. TheBusDriver86 says:

Unfortunately, Harti is not setting the bar very high and Yak isnt even reaching that. Hes trending up, which is good, but lets not get too high on this guy. I am looking forward to see how he does in the playoffs though, even if it is a small sample size.

2. Melman says:

Hopefully, like the big train he is, once he gets rolling in the right direction he can keep the momentum going. Let’s cross our fingers that the plan for Yak2 is to start next year in CA until he forces his way on to the big club.

3. Symbology says:

For a moment I read the title as YAKUPOV TO THE AHL and my jaw hit the floor.

4. JamesL says:

How much of Yakimov’s improvement has been adjustment to the AHL style, and how much of it has to do with increased TOI/opportunities given Lander’s promotion?

JamesL:

Great question, don’t know the answer but would guess a little of both.

6. johnnyshaka says:

Barons Gameday
    ‏@BaronsGameDay
    Tonight’s #OKCBarons lines: C. Hamilton-Williams-Pinizzotto; Moroz-Yakimov-Pakarinen; K. Jones-C.Jones-Ford; Mele-Khaira-Hanson.

Moroz getting a push? Has he earned a push?

7. JamesL says:

Moroz has earned a one-way ticket to the ECHL, imo. Having said that, let’s see if he can get anything done with quality linemates.

I don’t know if earned is the right word but it’s clear he’s an extra. Moroz should be playing and I think that means Bakersfield. It’s a good idea, he could come back with confidence in a month.

9. JamesL says:

Do you think Mitch Moroz has moments where, after another 0-0-0 game playing 6 minutes, he stares into his motel room’s bathroom mirror wondering where it all went wrong? That’s a dangerous pastime for young men, and the Oilers are to blame.

10. VanOil says:

I cannot let a list with Mikhail Grigorenko near the top pass with out a trade proposal.

Jultz + Pits 1st and D prospect (Gernat, Musil class) for Tyler Myer and Mikhail Grigorenko.

The Center corps would young but very talented and not small; Nuge, Draisaitl, Grigorenko, Lander and Yakimov. Keep Gordon and Roy around as place holders for a year.

11. Snowman says:

Watching the Erie v. Kingston game. Crouse does not belong in the top 10. He just doesn’t have the skill to warrant a pick that high based on 2 periods of play imo.

Strome is always around the puck and what playmaking ability and that Mcdavid kid is pretty good too.

12. JamesL says:

I really wonder if any team in the top 10 will be stupid enough to pick Crouse…. and I’m praying to Gord that that team won’t be the Oilers.

13. OilLeak says:

JamesL,

The Oilers deserve the blame regarding drafting Moroz so high. ECHL or AHL won’t matter much as Moroz doesn’t have the skill to be an NHL player.

14. Numenius says:

TheBusDriver86:

I’m encouraged when I see that Yakimov, a 3rd round pick, is on the same pace as Mantha (.45 p/gm), a 1st round pick, and trending upwards. We know from training camp that he has more to give than he’s been doing too.

15. Ryan says:

I keep seeing these Jaguar XF ads on this site. Lord knows if Lowetide had an affiliate program with Jaguar, I’d buy the car today just for his commission. That being said, I’m deciding between a 535i x drive and the Jaguar XF for another car purchase, thoughts?

16. johnnyshaka says:

-1 for Yak, Moroz, etc…

OilLeak:
    JamesL,

You don’t.

18. Snowman says:

JamesL,

That’s the part of the Oilers playing well that frightens me most. It would be so Oilers to play well enough to draft 4th or 5th and take Crouse and leave someone like Strome or Marner on the board in the unending quest for size and skill.

I look forward to picking Hanifin or Eichel or Strome (I don’t even want to think about McJesus) and I’m going to start having nightmares about Crouse.

19. johnnyshaka says:

-2 for Marty.

Not a good start for the Barons…

20. Snowman says:

Ryan,

My fiancees mother bought a BMW new from the dealership on 75th street that was expensive even by BMW standards and the service there for her has been outrageously, comically bad. Excellent sales people, do not give two craps after you sign on the dotted line.

I can’t comment on one car vs the other but I wouldn’t go to that particular dealership.

21. Gordies Elbow says:

This reminds me of your discussion on your radio show earlier this week (or maybe late last week.)

– The day of the draft, Moroz!?!
    – Winning the memorial cup, and holding up Pelss’ jersey, Moroz!
    – Playing in the AHL? Moroz!?!

I’m glad it’s not my son. Could you imagine, as a 20 year old who won the Memorial cup, to read what’s written about him? Embarrassing, and not for him.

Tyler Vesel scores, opening a slow night for Oilers prospects so far.

23. johnnyshaka says:

Yoinks! Barons down 3-0 while Marty was in the box.

24. johnnyshaka says:

Marty trying to do too much while trying to impress for a shot at a call-up?

Leon scored early now 10gp, 5-8-13

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Leon scored early now 10gp, 5-8-13

just scored another.

27. Klima's_Bucket says:

I can’t recall who posted the video montage in here a few days ago showcasing all of Slepyshev’s goals this year. But I couldn’t help but notice some guy named Hartikainen throughout those clips.
    Would be nice if the Oilers could get their hands on a guy with size and skill like that…

28. OilLeak says:

Lowetide: Yeah I can’t agree there. Sweeping statements about what 20-year old kids can’t do, while interesting, badly underestimate the player. Moroz spent two seasons in a shut down role and can pass/make a pass. He has speed and size. I don’t think he’s going to score more than 10 goals in an NHL season, hell he may never score 10 in the AHL, but I’m going to question anyone who says they know for sure.

You don’t.

I may have been a bit absolute in my wording, but doesn’t change the fact that Moroz is a below average prospect considering where he was drafted. I don’t trust his numbers from last year, he was physically mature player playing against smaller kids on a deep team.

Nagelvoort lost tonight but had a good outing, stopped 26 of 28, .929 SP

30. johnnyshaka says:

Klima’s_Bucket:

A guy like that could probably fetch us a mid-round pick at the deadline!

31. rickithebear says:

Strome and mcdavid perform at halls rate when they do not play together.
    They both gain 40% in production when they play together.
    When you join 2 1.65+ ppt players they kill it.
    When they play with 1ppg players. they are taylor hall

Taylor hall did not get to play with a taylor hall caliber player in his draft year.
    A bunch of 1ppg 17 year olds in there 19 yr season.

Crouse
    first unit line is .82 PPG
    2nd unit line .47 PPG
    His even goal scoring numbers say top 15 EVG scoring winger.
    his eVP NHLE is top 40 for wingers.

Playing with .69 players.

Connar Mcdavid is a generational talent when he plays with Strome.

When he does not.
    He is taylor Hall!

If he maintained his PPG away from strome.
    I might believe the pace.
    They both get the same reduction when split up.
    Anyone have an answer other than
    Hall playing with Hall.

32. kinger_OIL says:

LT – It would be helpful when you listed all the 20 yr old players to put in brackets which NHL team drafted with, for those of us who don’t know by heart all of the AHL/NHL affiliates…Even cooler, which round, which position they play, and which year they were drafted: assuming that information is simply a cut and paste. Else I have to do google searches on all the players…

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Van is shopping Kassian who is now on the 4th line pretty much exclusively and Hodgson is scratched tonight.

I blame Gillis. Somehow he managed to hex everyone in that trade. It’s the only explanation that makes sense for such wasted promise on all sides (not to say the book is written yet, here).

34. johnnyshaka says:

Moroz with a plus followed up by a fight.

Woot! Facepunching!

35. Younger Oil says:

I know this is a bit off topic, but I know Timo Meier has gained some interest around here as of late (for good reason), but as people are a bit concerned with Strome due to McDavid, do we think that Meier’s numbers are inflated due to Ehlers? It appears as if the two are playing together, and I was just wondering if there was any concern that Ehlers is carrying him.

He also has an October birthday, making him one of the older players in the draft.

Still think he would be a great pick in the 20-25 range though.

36. Gordies Elbow says:

OilLeak,

Sorry, does ” I don’t trust his numbers from last year,” mean “I don’t care about history, I never liked him, and I think that it’s OK to state that a 20 year old player doesn’t have the skill to be an NHL player.”

In my opinion, the gap between you and a valid scout is much greater than Moroz and an NHL’er. Moroz has a memorial cup ring. What do you have?

PS: Alan, do you have a link to your radio show where you talk about bloggers? I’d love to hear it again!

37. thejonrmcleod says:

Thought I saw Howson tonight while I was leaving the Mooseheads game. Was probably taking a look at Timo Meier.

Hunt scored from Davidson and Curtis Hamiloton. 3-2 Lake Erie.

39. Captain's Log says:

You don’t.

Yeah although I would argue to his original point that Moroz was drafted too high.

40. RexLibris says:

kinger_OIL:
    LT – It would be helpful when you listed all the 20 yr old players to put in brackets which NHL team drafted with, for those of us who don’t know by heart all of the AHL/NHL affiliates…Even cooler, which round, which position they play, and which year they were drafted: assuming that information is simply a cut and paste.Else I have to do google searches on all the players…

Because I’m feeling masochistic…

Charles Hudon (HAM – MTL) 43gp, 11-25-37
    Troy Bourke (LAE – COL) 27gp, 5-8-13
    Gemel Smith (TEX – DAL) 36gp, 5-8-13
    Brock McGinn (CHA – CAR) 42gp, 5-8-13
    Trevor Carrick (CHA – CAR) 43gp, 4-9-13
    Ryan Rupert (TOR – TOR) 23gp, 5-7-12
    Griffin Reinhart (BST – NYI) 29gp, 3-9-12
    Julius Honka (TEX – ) 38gp, 4-8-12 (18 years old)
    Slater Koekkoek (SYR – TBL) 41gp, 3-9-12
    Scott Laughton (LEH – PHI) 13gp, 6-5-11
    Josh Anderson (SPR – CLB) 39gp, 4-7-11
    Dylan Blujus (SYR – TBL) 39gp, 1-10-11
    Radek Faksa (TEX – DAL) 32gp, 4-6-10
    Henri Ikonen (SYR – TBL) 42gp, 5-5-10

Buffaio has some nice players developing in their system.

41. johnnyshaka says:

Hunt scored from Davidson and Curtis Hamiloton. 3-2 Lake Erie.

42. pocession charge says:

Ryan,

I own a 335xi and it’s a fantastic car; the 5 series is a bit heavier and less sporty to drive in the city. I don’t know much about the Jaguar XF but I have driven the Jaguar XKRS down in Las Vegas and what a car! Not a good comparison for the XF because it is a true performance car, but the brand was very nice (I liked it even more than the Gallardo). The only negative for me re: the Jag was the understeer.

I chuckled when I read the comment about BMW service. The guy is correct — BMW’s service is poor and it is not exclusive to the dealership on 75th (where I got mine). My first ‘real car’ after university was a brand new M3 that I bought from the west side location. The car was a dream but the service was a nightmare and they lost 40+ years of potential sales because of it. My wife drives a Mercedes and the service from the south side location has been top notch.

43. johnnyshaka says:

johnnyshaka: It’s the 4th straight game that Hunt has had at least 5 shots on goal and has 5 points during that stretch…coincidence? Hmmmm.

Make that 6 points…Hunt gets a helper on the tying goal by Ford with the net empty.

OT time!

44. The Duke of Hafford says:

What are people’s thoughts on Maloney saying that they would listen to offers for OEL. I would think the conversation would have to start with our first and Eberle and then some more. The Oilers should then try putting a package together for Myers built around Pits first and Schultz.
    OEL-Myers
    Klefbom-Petry
    Nurse-Fayne
    Maybe Petry becomes too costly to resign in this scenario.

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Drai with an assist 2-1-3
    Chase with 2 assists

46. johnnyshaka says:

Oesterle for the win!

God the Barons are good. holy man it’s been two decades since the Oilers had a minor league team like this one.

48. kinger_OIL says:

RexLibris: Because I’m feeling masochistic…

Charles Hudon (HAM – MTL) 43gp, 11-25-37 Brendan Leipsic (MIL – NSH) 39gp, 4-27-31 Connor Brown (TOR – TOR) 41gp, 11-20-31 Mikhail Grigorenko (ROC – BUF) 36gp, 10-20-30 Alexander Khoklhlachev (PRO – BOS) 36gp, 10-20-30 Emile Poirier (ADI – CGY) 34gp, 12-15-27 Connor Carrick (HER – WSH) 40gp, 6-21-27 Kerby Rychel (SPR – CLB) 38gp, 12-14-26 Chris Tierney (WOR – SJS) 24gp, 6-17-23 Tuevo Taravainen (ROC – BUF) 33gp, 6-17-23 Nick Kerdiles (NOR – ANA) 43gp, 8-15-23 Derrick Pouliot (WSB – PIT) 27gp, 7-15-22 J-S Dea (WSB – PIT) 37gp, 10-9-19 Henrik Samuelsson (POR – PHX) 41gp, 8-11-19 Ryan Culkin (ADI – CGY) 34gp, 1-17-18 Justin Auger (MAN – LAK) 38gp, 6-12-18 Taylor Leier (LEH – PHI) 39gp, 9-9-18 Ryan Pulock (BST – NYI) 29gp, 12-5-17 Ville Pokka (ROC – BUF) 38gp, 6-11-17 Bogdan Yakimov (OKC – EDM) 38gp, 6-11-17 Stefan Matteau (ALB – NJD) 39gp, 5-12-17 Andreas Athanasiou (GR – DET) 25gp, 7-9-16 Brendan Gaunce (UTI – VAN) 40gp, 4-12-16 Ryan Hartman (ROC – BUF) 43gp, 7-9-16 Jake McCabe (ROC – BUF) 38gp, 2-13-15 Hunter Shinkaruk (UTI – VAN) 40gp, 6-9-15 Phil Di Giuseppe (CHA – CAR) 43gp, 6-9-15 Matt Dumba (IOWA – MIN) 20gp, 5-9-14 Anthony Mantha (GR – DET) 31gp, 7-7-14 Petteri Lindholm (CHI – STL) 33gp, 6-8-14 Robert Hagg (LEH – PHI) 36gp, 3-11-14 Scott Kosmachuk (STJ – WPG) 42gp, 8-6-14 Marko Dano (SPR – CLB) 28gp, 8-5-13 Jesse Graham (BST – NYI) 32gp, 2-13-15 Troy Bourke (LAE – COL) 27gp, 5-8-13 Gemel Smith (TEX – DAL) 36gp, 5-8-13 Brock McGinn (CHA – CAR) 42gp, 5-8-13 Trevor Carrick (CHA – CAR) 43gp, 4-9-13 Ryan Rupert (TOR – TOR) 23gp, 5-7-12 Griffin Reinhart (BST – NYI) 29gp, 3-9-12 Julius Honka (TEX – ) 38gp, 4-8-12 (18 years old) Slater Koekkoek (SYR – TBL) 41gp, 3-9-12 Scott Laughton (LEH – PHI) 13gp, 6-5-11 Josh Anderson (SPR – CLB) 39gp, 4-7-11 Dylan Blujus (SYR – TBL) 39gp, 1-10-11 Radek Faksa (TEX – DAL) 32gp, 4-6-10 Henri Ikonen (SYR – TBL) 42gp, 5-5-10

Buffaio has some nice players developing in their system.

Thanks Rex, hope that wasn’t too much work!: positions would help as well: and draft year, but I’d take Buffalo, with 5 players in the range or much better than Yak’s numbers all day (andI think at least one of BUF’s is a D to boot..). Pit has 2 and Calgary 2 as well (so 2x). My instinct is that the worst team for the last 8 years would have more than one top-30 points in the AHL, but what do I know?

49. Gordies Elbow says:

Cape Breton Oilers?

50. johnnyshaka says:

Gordies Elbow: Cape Breton Oilers?

Yes b’y! 😀

51. HiddenDarts says:

RexLibris,

Let’s not forget that here ROC apparently means both Rochester AND Rockford.

I’m sure the Blackhawks would have something to say about this Buffalo prospect, Teuvo Teravainen!

52. oliveoilers says:

pocession charge:
    Ryan,

I own a 335xi and it’s a fantastic car;the 5 series is a bit heavier and less sporty to drive in the city.I don’t know much about the Jaguar XF but I have driven the Jaguar XKRS down in Las Vegas and what a car!Not a good comparison for the XF because it is a true performance car, but the brand was very nice (I liked it even more than the Gallardo).The only negative for me re: the Jag was the understeer.

I chuckled when I read the comment about BMW service.The guy is correct — BMW’s service is poor and it is not exclusive to the dealership on 75th (where I got mine).My first ‘real car’ after university was a brand new M3 that I bought from the west side location.The car was a dream but the service was a nightmare and they lost 40+ years of potential sales because of it.My wife drives a Mercedes and the service from the south side location has been top notch.

Shame about BMW service here. My first real car was a new 2001 BMW 328i coupe, when I was posted in Germany. Yes, I maxed it on the autobahn. It didn’t seem to matter which country in Europe I was in, the service was excellent. The car broke down once, the electronic module for the injection system (new fangled distributer) had kaput. I was on my way to my parents for xmas. The BMW tech said that BMW don’t even make spare ones, as according to the data base, one had never cratered. I was a little worried, but the manager said to leave it with him while they sent me for free lunch in the local pub. I went back and they had gone to an auction, brought an identical model and took the module off of that. They guaranteed it as a new part. I asked what he would have done if they hadn’t got the spare. “Oh, I would have let you have my company car until BMW could have sorted something out.” It was an M5. Wished he hadn’t got the part.

On a related note, my parents’ Ford failed an MOT (UK yearly car inspection) for a faulty fuel cap they didn’t stock. They were told to take the bus home, or a taxi. They live in the middle of nowhere in a farm house. They basically had to prove there were no bus routes and that a cab wouldn’t drive there before they gave them a clunker.

Perhaps that Ford dealer expanded to a BMW franchise in Edmonton?

53. oliveoilers says:

Ryan:
    I keep seeing these Jaguar XF ads on this site.Lord knows if Lowetide had an affiliate program with Jaguar, I’d buy the car today just for his commission.That being said, I’m deciding between a 535i x drive and the Jaguar XF for another car purchase, thoughts?

F-Type. Please buy an F-Type.

54. misfit says:

The Duke of Hafford:
    What are people’s thoughts on Maloney saying that they would listen to offers for OEL.I would think the conversation would have to start with our first and Eberle and then some more.The Oilers should then try putting a package together for Myers built around Pits first and Schultz.
    OEL-Myers
    Klefbom-Petry
    Nurse-Fayne
    Maybe Petry becomes too costly to resign in this scenario.

Sounds like one step forward and one step back to me. Getting OEL would be a win, even if the “some more” was fairly big. Giving up what it would take to get Myers and only getting Myers back is almost definitely going to be a loss. Fortunately, I think Schultz is a similar situation to Myers in that his trade value is probably higher than his win-you-games value, only maybe to a lesser extent on account of his trade value probably not being all that high either. I still don’t think it’s worth doing.

We all just watched Myers play against us last night, and I don’t know how anyone could have come away from that thinking “we should trade for that guy” the next day.

But back to OEL. Maloney may have said he’d listen to offers, but the kind of offers he’d have to hear to actually trade him are not offers anyone would ever give him. He’s untouchable.

Gordies Elbow: Cape Breton Oilers?

What Johnny said!

56. Black Frank says:

Ryan:

XF is sexier but do you want to spend more time on the road or driving a rental while your XF is in the garage? Sex vs. reliability. You could also look here for alternatives: http://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/5-series

57. Hammers says:

Are the Barons continuing on with winning from the groundwork by Nelson and his staff or are these players just that good . Maybe a bit of both .Lander would have to clear waivers to go back for a Barons cup run wouldn’t he or am I wrong ?

58. stush18 says:

kinger_OIL,

I find it interesting that the too three players are not first rounders, or as far as my knowledge anyways. And ya we should have more players there.
    Ive noticed buffalo has done of good job of drafting and trading for other prospects. Im sire not all of those players were drafted by buffalo.

Why cant we have nice things?

stush18:
    kinger_OIL,

Why cant we have nice things?

Our best 20 year olds are in the NHL.

60. stush18 says:

We don’t have any twenty year olds in the nhl. Next year maybe with leon. But our twenty year old is in junior playing on a stacked junior team.

The point was beside our first round picks, we havent gotten enough production out of our draft. Sure the book isnt written, and we started with nothing, but a team with our record the last few years should have better, or at least more, prospects brewing in the ahl. I get that our defense is a “strong point”, but realistically, marinicin is the only dman you could bet on from that team. And every other nhl team has at least one player equivalent to him.

Our drafting is not strong enough, nor is our pro scouts who should be identifying players/prospects to take flyers on.

The only player we have signed as a free agent that is performing well enough to consider legit is iro.

stush18:

This is Nail’s 20-year old season.

62. gr8one says:

RexLibris: Because I’m feeling masochistic…

Buffaio has some nice players developing in their system.

Whatever the source was for this info is kind of misleading in that (ROC) stands for both Rochester AND Rockford. Teravainen(name mispelled from the source as well) and Hartman are actually both in Chicago’s system and not Buffalo’s.

[EDIT]

Ville Pokka too. Pretty impressive for Chicago.

63. cabbiesmacker says:

kinger_OIL: Thanks Rex, hope that wasn’t too much work!: positions would help as well: and draft year, but I’d take Buffalo, with 5 players in the range

Three of the 5 shown as Buff’s property are actually Chicago’s. TT and Hartman were draft picks and Pokka came over in the Leddy trade.

64. frjohnk says:

Lowetide: This is Nail’s 20-year old season.

Its actually his 21 year old season.

He is currently 861st out of all 21 year old forward seasons in points per game.

I had to eliminate defensemen because it only goes to 1000

frjohnk: Its actually his 21 year old season.

I had to eliminate defensemen because it only goes to 1000

Typically (traditionally) a players age on opening night is their age for that season. Nail was 20 on opening night.

66. frjohnk says:

Nail was born Oct 6

Season started Oct 8th if I remember correctly.

So it should be his 21 year old season if that was the case.

I think some data bases use the late birthdate cut off in Sept. Just like the draft. Hockey DB I believe uses that number.

Other data bases like Quant hockey use Jan 1 as the start

67. John Chambers says:

Symbology:
    For a moment I read the title as YAKUPOV TO THE AHL and my jaw hit the floor.

Makes ya think –

Larionov would be pissed, but the player might be far more ‘NHL-ready’

68. hunter1909 says:

John Chambers: What if Yakupov had been in the AHL all season (and last) – where would he sit on that list?

More like: “What if Dallas(I take my children on 5 mile hikes to build character)Eakins had been in the AHL all season(and last)?

As in: exactly where he belonged.

69. deankb says:

kinger_OIL,

Truly not to sound like a dink, but if they are all 20 they should be in the same draft class. So if you pull up the draft from 2 years ago they should all be on there with the position (at the time) and the team picking…

70. stush18 says:

deankb:
    kinger_OIL,

I was assuming he was 21. He turns 22 this year. Either way we would still only have two players on that list.