PENGUINS AT OILERS, G52 2014-15

The one great thing about being an Oilers fan is there’s always a trade coming around the corner. Craig MacTavish started his GM career having fun, fun, fun but has slowed since Bob Nicholson took the T-Bird away (Bob Nicholson took the T-Bird away). I expect we’ll see some real activity in the coming weeks and one of the key indicators for Edmonton is a road trip. After tonight, the town team travels to Toronto, Newark, Long Island, Montreal, Ottawa and Winnipeg.

DEAL OR NO DEAL

PLAYER % RETURN
JEFF PETRY 90 3RD RD PICK
VIKTOR FASTH 75 5TH RD PICK
DEREK ROY 70 4TH RD PICK
ROB KLINKHAMMER 30 6TH RD PICK
BOYD GORDON 20 2ND RD PICK
MATT HENDRICKS 20 3RD RD PICK

TSN did this last night so I thought it might be cool to post this and then tweak as we get closer. I’m not suggesting the Oilers trade Gordon or Hendricks (or Klinkhammer) but if any overpay is out there, well, if the value is there MacT will have to consider it. AND I’m not saying Gordon should be moved for a second-round pick, that’s an estimate (as they all are) of current return. Settle down, for Gord sakes. I expect we’ll see two deals for sure—Petry and Fasth—with Roy also possible. I haven’t listed Andrew Ference despite rumors because I don’t believe it. If the LA KIngs trade today for Jeff Petry it wouldn’t surprise me at all. Hell, we might get to see Luke Gazdic play defense! That’s a MacT move from a dozen years ago.

THE MATTI VIRMANEN FAN CLUB

Matti Virmanen’s draft bets—Samu Perhonen, Frans Tuohimaa—and his free agent bets—Anton Belov, Jesse Joensuu, Iiro Pakarinen, Lenny Petrell—may not seem like an enormous contribution to the cause. Then again, it only takes one and that one may be Pakarinen. The Oilers haven’t (that I can see) spent too many bullets in Finland and they don’t have any home runs. Pakarinen might be the one, though. He’s clearly talented enough to be a complete player in the AHL and next step is NHL. The Oilers have some nice things in the minors—Martin Marincin, Bogdan Yakimov, Dillon Simpson—and adding a free agent Finn who can make the grade is a very nice item.

HAVE YOU EVER NOTICED?

Watch something long enough and you see patterns develop. One of MacT’s traits as a coach was complete indifference to draft pedigree. During his time as coach, the first round picks (Rita, Mikhnov, Hemsky, Niinimaki, Pouliot, Dubnyk, Schremp, Cogliano, Gagner, Plante, Eberle) didn’t have any edge over the depth guys. His best players (Pisani, Horcoff, Chimera, Stoll, Greene, Brodziak) came outside Round 1.

What does that mean for the current group? Well I’d guess that Bogdan Yakimov, Jujhar Khaira and Greg Chase probably have a better than normal chance at making it. Craig MacTavish cheers for the underdog, to a fault. That’s one reason I think Brandon Davidson has as good a chance as Martin Marincin in this organization.

LAST 10 GAMES

OILERS BOXCARS LAST 10

Several forwards are sky high in the shooting percentage (Eberle, Pouliot, Roy, Gordon a little bit) and of course many are too low based on their established levels (Hall, Nuge, Nail). So much of this road trip depends on what we hear about Hall and Pouliot this morning. If both are injured, and Pakarinen plus Gazdic play tonight, what will the lines look like? I think Yakupov might be your 1L. Viktor Fasth has been outplaying Ben Scrivens of late, his trade value is improved (is my guess). I don’t know that the Oilers win tonight, but stopping Todd Nelson is proving to be harder than most NHL teams think it will be—it may be his death stare. Jesus Lord the man can look intimidating. I suspect he’ll wear a leather jacket with a switchblade logo should the team every make the playoffs.

Oilers have a very interesting prospect here, I hope they sign him and put him in Bakersfield. Laleggia should be a PP demon and could eventually make the show on that one item alone. Is he better at that discipline than Brad Hunt? Hunt is 31, 3-10-13 on the power play this season, Laleggia is 24, 3-3-6.  Hunt has 97 shots this season, Laleggia 89 (in 7 fewer games). Hopefully we get to compare both next season in California.

locklear1

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy show with a range of topics. This morning, 10, TSN1260.

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. Is Klefbom—Schultz real, Is Todd Nelson the Fonz?
  • Ask the Coach with Dan Auchenberg of Vimy Hockey. Basic skills and their supreme importance.
  • Andrew Bucholtz, 55-Yard Line. NFL raids impacting CFL free agency.
  • Jeff Krushell, Krush Performance. 10 days (or so) to pitchers and catchers!

10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Talk soon!

370 Responses to "PENGUINS AT OILERS, G52 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. Auston Matthews '16 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: But I wonder if it’s really about stupidity so much as it is about hubris?

A lot from column ‘A’, and even more from column ‘B’…

And please, don’t ever remind me of that nixed Comrie trade again!

Didn’t see it announced, but was on the Oilers’ website and see that they have Nikitin listed as on the IR.

That means 22 on the active roster including Hall and Pouliot.

I hope a Dman tweaks a knee in warm up.

3. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy: I hope a Dman tweaks a knee in warm up.

Pakarinen would just play D.
    He’s done it in Europe and he’d probably be an improvement over Double Agent.

G Money: If it’s any consolation, the most extreme game predicted is PIT 9-0.

Also, the program doesn’t account for recent disturbances in the force such as Perron trade, Nelson’s stare replacing Eakurus’ hair, or Fleury.Also does not yet properly account for special teams (will try to do that between periods).

PIT doesn’t shoot as much on the PP as you’d think, but their shooting has been deadly this season.

So go for the over I say!!!

Oh I’m all over the over.

I like to *enchance* the computer picks with my own knowledge.

I don’t even know how you are weighting everything.

5. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Thanks, LT for the link.

Some interesting comments. Some posters were spot on about Prendergast. Then I saw this:

GODOT10 says:
    May 14, 2009 at 1:13 am
    Nash is Horcoff’s replacement. There is no need to rush him.
    Nash has something most other prospect doesn’t have, and that is an option for an education and a career other than hockey.
    If the Oilers want players to leave college, they better fix their farm team.
    Prendergast signed a bunch of veteran turkeys last year for Springfield, and delayed or damaged the development of many players because of it.

By Prendergast you really meant “Eakins,” right, Godot? 😛

Woodguy:

That means 22 on the active roster including Hall and Pouliot.

I hope a Dman tweaks a knee in warm up.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Any LT people in Toronto want to get together at a pub to watch the game this Saturday? Strength in numbers, haha. Kinger you’re GTA based right? Rom? Anyone else?

You on twitter?

DM me and we can talk about it.

8. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    I’m hitting the over on the game tonight.

Fleury looks primed to take a very good team out in the first round.

Since Dec 23rd Fleury is 38/39 NHL goalies who’ve played at least 240min in that time with a .882 5v5 SV%.

The bizarre love of Fleury has cost PIT at least 1 Cup, maybe 3.

They look very good this year with an overall 52.9% SAF (good for 9th in the NHL)

Fleury might cost them in the first round this year.

As an Oiler fan with their 1st pick, I hope the trend continues.

Funny you mention this because I’ve had some friends say the Oilers should run Fleury tonight to improve their draft chances, to which my response is to leave him well enough alone and run their D instead.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10: If Laleggia is signed, then Hunt should NOT be qualified.They are basicallythe same player.Laleggia and Osterle need the power play time in Bakersfield, and all Hunt is is an veteran AHL power player guy with no NHL potential who would be taking key development time away from capable actual prospects.

Brandon Davidson should get the contract over Hunt, because he can be the defensely responsible guy breaking in Laleggia at EV.

Sure.

But, the question was: do you try and flip Hunt this year for some minor something or other?

10. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Sure. Will do.
    Just followed you. @GmanBackpacker

11. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: They’ll call up a blue for the road trip because they’ll need one when they trade Petry.

12. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Sure.

As a fan who has seen the organization prioritize Hunt over Marincin and Davidson, yes. Please send him away. For their sake and ours.

RexLibris: Which, if I’m counting my fingers and toes correctly, would still leave them with six defensemen.

Sure. you’re forgetting Gazdic.

14. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Sure. you’re forgetting Gazdic.

No, I count him with my fists. Feels more authentic.

15. John Chambers says:

Man is this ever the year to be trading picks at the draft for established talent. Arizona, Toronto, probably Carolina will all be manoeuvring for picks and nearly everyone is for sale.

Kessel, Hanzal, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Staal, Van Riemsdyk, Bozak. The real attractive talent is OEL and Justin Faulk, but I’m not sure they’re available.

You could probably upgrade Eberle to Kessel, which would make a Hall / Kessel / Pouliot / Yak setup as your top wingers absolutely mind-blowing. Run RNH-Hanzal-Gordon as your top 3 Cs and watch out.

16. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Ha, never realized but Derek Roy has such a hipster haircut/beard ha ha.

17. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

That’s got to be the last shift for Gazdic for a while. Big heart but he is a liability out there.

18. VanOil says:

#20’s contribution to that last shift was staggeringly ineffective.

19. Captain's Log says:

I know this is a strange early game but where is everyone? 10 minutes between posts….

20. John Chambers says:

Fasth might be worth retaining if you can get him for $4M over two.

21. Zelepukin says:

This definitely looks like a more confident Oilers team.

22. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

That was an own zone tire fire. Three turnovers on the same shift. Fasth, fortunately, sharp so far.

23. Zangetsu says:

I wonder if the reason we haven’t called anyone up is so nelson is forced to play gazdic.

24. Zelepukin says:

Malkin line against our 2L is not a good match up.

25. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Zelepukin:
    Malin line against our 2L is not a good match up.

Yeah – they’re new LW is a terror out there!

26. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Captain’s Log:

No internet in LT’s garage?

John Chambers:

Kessel isn’t an upgrade. And even if you disagree with that, value for money is what matters, and Eberle at $6 million for 4 more years is much better VforM than 7 years of Kessel at $8 million. Kessel is a fat boy. if you aren’t training in your twenties you are going to decline really fast once 30 hits. The last 4 years of Kessel’s contract are going to be horrid.

28. TheOtherJohn says:

G Money,

if I understand the comments on sample size correctly we have no clue what type of keeper Scrivns is: a solid NHL starter; a career back up or someone who shuttles between the AHL and NHL for the bulk of the balance of his hockey career. We have insufficient info to make that conclusion. We do know that over his 50+ games in 2014 and 2015 his sv% has been less than .900 Sv %

29. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Anyone testing the corsi possession theory in this game tonight? You might want to throw away the stopwatch, and just glance at the calender occasionally…

30. Captain's Log says:

No Craig the shot clock is not deceiving. 10-5 is about right given the puck has been in the Oilers zone for 60% of the time.

Ugh what a stupid small sample size comparison.

31. TemujinBC says:

Who called the Over on this game?

Yergh!

Sorry, barbequing (damn family and their requests!). Horrid period but the Pens are good. If they get 25 shots on Fleury they’ll score three goals #hot #take

33. VanOil says:

Sorry, barbequing (damn family and their requests!). Horrid period but the Pens are good. If they get 25 shots on Fleury they’ll score three goals #hot #DOG

ftfy

34. LostBoy says:

That basically felt like the equivalent of an okay road period for the OIlers. Be interesting to see if Nelson can do anything to change the dynamic in the intermission. The Pens are getting away with little half-pick after little half-pick in all three zones. Fasth had a great period.

35. Captain's Log says:

godot10: Kessel isn’t an upgrade.And even if you disagree with that, value for money is what matters, and Eberle at $6 million for 4 more years is much better VforM than 7 years of Kessel at $8 million.Kessel is a fat boy.if you aren’t training in your twenties you are going to decline really fast once 30 hits.The last 4 years of Kessel’s contract are going to be horrid.

Kessel > Eberle is not a matter of opinion it’s a matter of fact.

Going back to 2011-12:

Kessel – GP: 264, G: 114, A: 145, P:259
    Eberle – GP: 256, G: 93, A: 118, P: 211

Unless you think Eberle brings some intangibles that Kessel doesn’t? No?

I agree that Kessel’s contract is much worse and would not want him for that reason.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

thought you all might be interested in this

Romulus’ Apotheosis @RomulusNotNuma · 2h 2 hours ago
    NCAA #Oilers’ Prospects’ Shots Per Game Rates
    Laleggia 3.71
    McCarron 2.71
    Campbell 2.64
    Muir 1.92
    Vesel 1.73
    —-
    For reference:
    Eichel 3.88

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That’s a hell of a number for Laleggia.

Well, that happened.

39. John Chambers says:

godot10,

He’s got a real Dany Heatley shine to him, doesn’t he?

Eberle is probably on average a 60-pt player, while Kessel has been a 35g ppg player over the past 4 seasons. He is a legitimate offensive force in the vein of Taylor Hall.

Kessel over Eberle would be a definitive upgrade in the short term, but your point is valid about the final years of the deal.

40. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    That’s a hell of a number for Laleggia.

Wow!

Romulus Apotheosis:
    thought you all might be interested in this

Romulus’ Apotheosis @RomulusNotNuma·2h 2 hours ago
    NCAA #Oilers’ Prospects’ Shots Per Game Rates
    Laleggia 3.71
    McCarron 2.71
    Campbell 2.64
    Muir 1.92
    Vesel 1.73
    —-
    For reference:
    Eichel 3.88

Yep. He’s bona fide, he’s a suitor!

42. G Money says:

Woodguy: I like to *enchance* the computer picks with my own knowledge.
    I don’t even know how you are weighting everything.

It’s a little counter intuitive (unless you’re familiar with Monte Carlo simulations).

I take the home/away splits for shots, sh%, and sv% and combine them to produce a per-second probability of either team getting a shot, and then if a shot, a goal.

Then I literally simulate every second of the game using those probabilities to determine the outcome.

Of course, the outcome of that randomized process is pretty much nonsense on a standalone basis.

But the key is – you repeat that game over and over. In my case, I used 1000 iterations i.e. using the shot/sv/sh of these two teams, my computer simulated them playing each other 1000 times.

Now that individual sample, nonsense on its own, suddenly produces a huge sample of data.

Those are the results I’m posting when I show: % of win outcomes, predicted score, and most likely game outcomes with % likelihood.

Sounds dodgy, but these types of probabilistic simulations have proven hugely useful in assessing all kinds of situations (physics, medicine, oil and gas, financial, to name a few) where you can’t solve the probability problem in “closed form”.

Despite the talent on the ice, the simulation via the shot/sh/sv percentages actually suggest that this will be more likely to be a low scoring affair moreso than a high scoring affair.

That said, one thing I haven’t done yet is accounted for special teams. I’m also still using shots rather than Corsi, and need to account for recent trends in the statistics rather than just the entire season. But those are more tweaks than changes.

Basically, the simulation should show a pretty decent resemblance to what will happen in this game at ES.

43. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Fasth gives it to that fecking Prawn. Love it!

44. G Money says:

TheOtherJohn:
    G Money,

if I understand the comments on sample size correctly we have no clue what type of keeper Scrivns is: a solid NHL starter; a career back up or someone who shuttles between the AHL and NHL for the bulk of the balance ofhis hockey career. We have insufficient info to make that conclusion. We do knowthat over his 50+ games in 2014 and 2015 his sv% has been less than .900 Sv %

That’s right. Over the sample size we have, the result we’ve seen are not inconsistent with any of those underlying scenarios. At this time, we can neither confirm nor deny the existence of Scrivens the NHL Goaltender.

45. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

So many careless, sloppy plays since about the 10 minute mark of the 1st period.

46. Auston Matthews '16 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:

That’s when I tuned in. My bad.

Oilers look exactly like a team that doesn’t have their two best LW’s and fast forwards. Skating in mud. That’s why I don’t think Matt Fraser makes it here because they already have Purcell and some others.

48. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Holy shit, boys. Get your heads in the game. Man.

God awful play here.

49. John Chambers says:

This could be a 3 or 4-0 game if Scrivens was in net.

50. G Money says:

These are the “Against the Flames in the Third Period” Oilers.

51. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

The Oilers are getting chewed up by the Pens’ forecheck. Like destroyed at the moment. Without Fasth this game is 5-0.

Nail Yakupov is so close to finding the range.

53. Snowman says:

If we never see Gazdic on against Malkin again in our lifetime it will be too short a time.

54. G Money says:

Nail Yakupov is so close to finding the range.

One game away.

This is Yak’s 163rd game. In two more games, he starts his third full NHL season.

No more sophomore slump!

55. Snowman says:

Fasth looks miles better than Scrivens right now. Do we have to get rid of him?

When Fasth plays bad he still looks like a goalie. When Scrivens plays bad he looks like a guy who’s seen a goalie. When they play good there’s not much difference.

56. John Chambers says:

I don’t think the Penguins win Stanley again with this core. Crosby will be lucky to win another cup.

57. kooler says:

What’s with Purcell eyebrow shrugs?

58. G Money says:

This PP really demonstrates why you need a bomb from the point.

The Penguings aren’t respecting that at all, so they choke down low and cut all the below-the-circle plays out.

Can still score, but cuts the rate in half.

59. GCW_69 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    thought you all might be interested in this

Romulus’ Apotheosis @RomulusNotNuma·2h 2 hours ago
    NCAA #Oilers’ Prospects’ Shots Per Game Rates
    Laleggia 3.71
    McCarron 2.71
    Campbell 2.64
    Muir 1.92
    Vesel 1.73
    —-
    For reference:
    Eichel 3.88

If he was a forward, that would be exciting. But he is not. He is a tiny little defenceman that would be crushed by NHL forwards.

60. kooler says:

Get the puck to Yak at the dot.

61. Snowman says:

Petry… Why does it have to be this way…?

62. kinger_OIL says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You on twitter?

DM me and we can talk about it.

63. John Chambers says:

G Money,

Yak playing RD on the point seems appropriate.

If he can find a role there launching bombs it could be the bread and butter of his NHL career.

64. Captain's Log says:

What a difference it makes actually having a shot from the point. Whether it’s Petry or Yakupov those two change the dynamic of the powerplay.

Why Schultz is still on the #1 powerplay…or not at least paired with one of those two…I don’t know.

65. G Money says:

John Chambers,

A PP with Yak launching shots at every opportunity from almost anywhere would be a good thing!

66. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Shit. That hurts.

You know what hurts more? Two more years of Ference.

67. Captain's Log says:

Fuck you Oilers. Seriously. Fuck you. Why do you have to pull shit like this.

The Penguins are actually playing hard for the last 30 seconds, the Oilers are ready to hit the locker room already.

68. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

kinger_OIL: I’m actually going to the game Saturday: my brother in law, an insufferable Leaf Nation Fan is actually in a daze this year, as he’s been so smug for years about our annual Leafs/Oiler game: poor bastard can’t figure out why his team, with Lupul as a key cog, isn’t doing so hot now…: would be fun to have a t-dot LT Oil game day though….

69. G Money says:

For the Oilers, is a two goal lead or a two game deficit going into the third safer?

I’m gonna go with deficit.

70. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

G Money:

I’m gonna go with deficit.

71. G Money says:

Captain’s Log: Fuck you Oilers. Seriously. Fuck you. Why do you have to pull shit like this.

See, I told you. These are the “Against the Flames in the Third Period” Oilers.

Nothing infuriated me this season as much as that third period did last Saturday. Gutless, heartless, and brainless.

At least the Penguins have talent.

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I liked that PP.

It’s also good to see them properly losing. This winning has been getting me down.

73. G Money says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: If by “safer” you mean we won’t have our hopes dashed yet again (San Jose was too much stress for me as well), then yes, it’s safer.

I’m thinking more like “probability of winning” safer.

Odds of winning with a two goal deficit going into the third: 1 in 5.

Odds of winning with a two goal lead going into the third: 1 in 6.

74. 8p0intgame says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

If I recall correctly, you were talking about the price of oil earlier in the day. If I may ask (I know this is a hockey blog but NYOil seems to be an expert on the matter), what does that mean for Canada, specifically Alberta, and the economy?

Also, curse of former Oilers strikes again.

75. sliderule says:

This game is like against Calgary.

The oilers come off the ice gasping like beached fish.

The pens look like they are skating twice as fast as oilers.

Some of the better players look like they celebrated the win in California too much.

After seeing this I say tank away.

76. G Money says:

8p0intgame: Also, curse of former Oilers strikes again.

I was going to say, we should ask LT to compile an official list of Oiler Killers, but then I think the list of NON Oiler Killers would be a shorter list.

77. Heinz 57 says:

RexLibris:
    Weren’t we just talking about this?

I scanned his book for ten minutes, and it never got beyond 99% apple pie. Stiglitz is a favourite NeoCon punching bag. With his name mentioned so frequently in the preamble—as a voice of wisdom—I already know where this book is positioned without suffering through to a substantive claim (with or without the awe-inspiring British accent).

If you can’t make everyone involved in 2008 sound like blithering, rapacious, two-faced idiots you’re not trying very hard. If there’s a value add here, I wish it were more prominently positioned.

———

Today I was reading Servant Leadership: A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power & Greatness by Robert K. Greenleaf, originally published in 1977 then republished in 2005 with a laudatory foreword by Stephen R. Covey and a laudatory afterword by Peter M. Senge. The imprint on my copy is Paulist Press, and sure enough this press places their logo of the wire-frame dove on the back cover.

This bit from page 32 is typical of the tome:

As a leader (including teacher, coach, administrator), one must have facility in tempting the hearer into that leap of imagination that connects the verbal concept to the hearer’s own experience. The limitation on language, to the communicator, is that the hearer must make that leap of imagination. One of the arts of communicating is to say just enough to facilitate that leap. Many attempts to communicate are nullified by saying too much.

The physicist and philosopher Percy Bridgman takes another view of it when he says: “No linguistic structure is capable of reproducing the full complexity of experience… The only feasible way of dealing with this is to push a particular verbal line of attack as far as it can go, and then switch to another verbal level which we might abandon when we have to…Many people…insist on a single self-consistent verbal scheme into which they try to force all experience. In doing this they create a purely verbal world in which they can live a pretty autonomous existence, fortified by the ability of many of their fellows to live in the same verbal world.” This, of course, is what makes a cult—a group of people who thus isolate themselves from the evolving mainstream. By staying within their own closed verbal world they forfeit the opportunity to lead others. One of the great tragedies is when a proven, able leader becomes trapped in one of these closed verbal worlds and loses the ability to lead.

I’m hot to the first paragraph, warm to the beginning of the second paragraph, and merely lukewarm by its end. Then it follows with this:

A commentator once observed: “If you have something important to communicate, if you can possibly manage it—put your hand over your mouth and point.” Someday we will learn what a great handicap language is.

Now I’m downright chilly.

Every time this book is on the verge of saying something profound it quickly slides back into crypto mysticism.

The funny thing for me is most of my “mountains of fill” were conscious exercises in expressive minimalism, which I went to some pains to Escherize if its self-consistency threatened to become overbearing.

I really do believe that excessive self-consistency functions as a pair of blinkers to the complexity of the real world.

———

From Why Isn’t Servant Leadership More Prevalent?:

Lao-Tzu wrote about servant leadership in the fifth-century BC: “The highest type of ruler is one of whose existence the people are barely aware…. The Sage is self-effacing and scanty of words. When his task is accomplished and things have been completed, all the people say, ‘We ourselves have achieved it!'”

Another Confucian aphorism leaning on that “scanty of words” things, while consuming green tea in the Masonic shadows.

———

This is the best criticism I uncovered:

The biggest problem with Servant Leadership is how frequently it is misunderstood.

In this matter, I don’t particularly fault the hearer. With every second paragraph retreating into crypto mysticism, the miracle here is that this book is fully understood by anyone at all.

———

78. G Money says:

Heinz 57: Nelson seems to be doing a pretty good job on top of the foundation that Eakins built.

If Godot was Godog, you just rang the equivalent of Pavlov’s bell!

79. Snowman says:

Heinz 57:

HA! I’d love to hear this debate.

80. G Money says:

Nice to hear the commentators with some realistic thoughts on Yak.

Love when Yak plays with an edge, like that nasty little hit.

81. Pouzar says:

PVRd the game. Just caught up now. That rush by Arco late in the 2nd period where Aulie ended up on his stomach was all kinds of putrid. Jezzuz Keerist this organization is a mind f^ck.
    #freesomebody

82. G Money says:

Pouzar: #freesomebody

#freethefans

G Money: See, I told you.These are the “Against the Flames in the Third Period” Oilers.

Nothing infuriated me this season as much as that third period did last Saturday.Gutless, heartless, and brainless.

At least the Penguins have talent.

84. G Money says:

My description was actually of the Oilers against the Flames.

I don’t mind this game as much precisely because the Pengroins are an actual team.

85. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Gutless, heartless and brainless? I’d suggest young, overwhelmed and outmatched is a better description. You have to remember this is a team without Hall and Pouliot and their 2line W is on the other team.

Yeah this is a team with 2 hands tied behind their backs (Poo, Hall) and their ankles behind their ears(Gazdic, Aulie).

Nelson seems to be doing a pretty good job of levitating on top of the bottomless sinkhole that Eakins dug.

87. G Money says:

godot10,

Attaboy!

Why doesn’t Craig Simpson say MacT is wrong for not signing Petry to a new contract? He said Klinkhammer should be signed. He can’t bring himself to say that Petry should be signed.

He is unwilling to call out his friend and former teammate. A #FAIL in doing his job.

89. VanOil says:

Among the many things the forensic audit should examine is what decision making leading to Petry being a healthy scratch this year. He has been far and away the best defender this year and has been extra special under Nelson.

90. TemujinBC says:

I blame Woodguy and his fancy stats for Fleury’s shutout.

Ha!

91. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

8p0intgame,
    I typed this response for you but waited until after the game was done. Anything beyond this below, just find me on Twitter @GmanBackpacker and I can follow you back and can DM you. I hate being the harbinger of doom (to borrow the BSG phrasing from yesterday).

There are other posters here more qualified than I to talk about what it means to Alberta and Canada’s economies.

But there are a few things to keep in mind. It’s not just oil as it pertains to Canada. Oil weakness has directly impacted the currency,

Now this cuts both ways.
    If all your input costs are in Canadian dollars and you export to say, the US, you’re sitting pretty. You’re still selling your product for $1 down south, but you’re now receiving $1.25 Canadian.
    But, that’s a relatively small part of the Canadian economy.

The other side is that a weak Canadian dollar impacts the economy in other ways. The purchasing power that Canadians have is eroded. Today we saw the Ivey PMI (Purchasing Managers Index) for January released. This is a key economic number that tries to capture a broad slice of the Canadian economy (explained here: http://iveypmi.uwo.ca/english/). This figure came in at a shockingly low 45.4 (anything sub 50 implies contraction) vs. expectations for 53. Canada could be staring a recession directly in the face (it’s coming) and business confidence is eroding.

The West faces some serious austerity in the form of shuttered oil facilities (others can tell you more about this). Some companies will be able to weather a short-term drop in oil prices, but all indications are this imbalance will continue. The US Department of Energy today released figures for oil inventories south of the border. An increase of 3 million barrels was expected; however, the actual increase came in at double that, 6 million barrels. This led to a knee-jerk drop in oil prices. Despite the best efforts of US oil firms to cut rig count and reduce some production, bottom line is it’s not working, yet.

Later in the day, more bad news came out of Europe, with Germany essentially rejecting the terms of Greece’s proposed renegotiation of their austerity measures. This depressed oil prices further, along with news that the ECB would no longer accept Greek debt as collateral.

Now, in terms of market dynamics, hedge funds and CTAs (commodity trading accounts–Man Group in the UK is one of the most famous) trade aggressively around futures in oil. Futures are extremely liquid, and you don’t have to settle your trades with physical, actual oil as long as you unwind or close out your trade before the required delivery date (in the future-hence “futures.) These funds have been speculating heavily in declining oil prices. Many of them were very late to the game although all kinds of signs of weakness were there in the early stages of the autumn. One of the most popular trades to start this new year, however, was to short oil further, betting on a decline towards the low levels seen during the financial crisis. The open short interest in oil futures climbed sharply to start the year, yet prices began to trade sideways, failing to aggressively break lower like we had seen in the past few months, yet these speculators kept shorting oil futures, trying to get the market to crack one more time and drop to ~$35. Now as Jesse Livermore will tell you (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Lauriston_Livermore), and I do recommend “Reminiscences of a Stock Operator” as a great, general reading book, if the prices stop falling when you’re selling, you best close out your position. Yet these funds did not. Last week, as we had January month-end, we saw some books being marked to account for the first month’s returns. As short interest was quite high and prices hadn’t really declined, a few funds began to cover their positions. This drove the futures back above $48, where it was known that a large quantity of “stop losses” had been set up (most of the shorts had been put on ~$46 during the past few weeks so these funds decided they didn’t want to lose more than, say 5% on their trade so they protected themselves). The move above $48 triggered some furious “covering” of these losing bets, which drove prices ever higher. Further stops were triggered yesterday and we saw a “panic” buy in the markets, taking oil up 10% intraday at one point, to as high as $54.

Now I, and several other posters here, more astute than I, had been warning of a relief rally to come for the past ten days or so, one which would take oil up, but likely not beyond $60. We saw that unfold. Now, high short interest means that speculators are bearish on the future price of the underlying security, in this case, oil. However, the short interest, if it’s high, is often a contrary indicator. When every last guy is in there short, well, there’s only one way to close out your position and lock in profits, and that’s to buy them back. It gets worse if you’ve shorted too late and you’re under water. When others start to cover, you can easily get carried out. Oil rallied 20% in a week as of one moment yesterday at $54 (from $45~54). There was so much pain out there for shorts. Many of them were forced to cut and cover. However, now many of them have closed out their positions. There is less demand, therefore, to buy in the market. And so once that tipping point was reached and today’s bad news was announced, the path of least resistance again became lower. That’s what we’re seeing in oil prices.

It’s all indicative of this likely not being a quick, V-shaped recovery. Something needs to give. Like Saudi Arabia needs to agree to significant cuts (right now they are happy to rely on their reserves and let the weaker players shake out).

The Bank of Canada has reacted almost like a speculator. Instead of keeping the long-term interests of Canadians in mind, it has decided to reverse course on potential rate hikes to slow the housing market bubble down, and instead conducted a surprise interest rate cut in order to combat the falling energy prices and the risk to the markets. They haven’t learned the lessons from the other central banks. It was a very short-sighted move that weakened the Canadian dollar further and really isn’t going to do a whole lot for the economy. They’ve weakened Canada’s position by doing so, in my opinion.

All in all, it points to a continued bumpy ride. There are a lot of reasons to be concerned at the moment in terms of markets, and markets are generally considered to be 6 months “ahead” of the broader economy. Considering the recession in energy began in the fall, the PMI # we saw today was pretty much spot-on 6 months afterwards. Hold on to your horses.

DM me with any further questions.

Let’s talk hockey. 🙂

92. G Money says:

SkyreachNet predicted a 48.5% chance of a Penguins regulation win (+8.4% including OT/SO).

A 2-0 PIT win was the 11th most likely outcome at 3.2% (most likely being a 2-1 win at 6.3%).

93. gmac2412 says:

Woodguy: I don’t see a “Stanley Cup Runner Up” line.

They are offering an “Each way” bet at half the winner odds for the Stanley Cup. Half of the 66/1 I got on their mobile app a little earlier today.

94. Pouzar says:

Pouzar:
    #freesomebody

This was the same play I was talking about:

Woodguy ‏@Woodguy55 56m56 minutes ago
    Can MacT watch Aulie tonight and actually think “He’s better than Marincin”? AcroGoddambello back Aulie all the way to the net.

95. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Pouzar: This was the same play I was talking about:

Woodguy ‏@Woodguy5556m56 minutes ago

But he’s best at box protection!

96. rickithebear says:

Nail Yakupov is so close to finding the range.

Now if he could just find his side of the ice.
    Is it surprising yak was most successful with Horcoff his first year.
    hemsky made yakupov look linear.

97. rickithebear says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: But he’s best at box protection!

marincin 2.08 EVGa/60

Aulie gets way worse results than marincin

Aulie 1.48 EVGA/60

98. RexLibris says:

Missed the game because I had to work. Well, okay, “missed” may not be the best term to use.

Checked the score, then went to WoI which showed the Corsi battle at 49/16 for Pittsburgh.

I’m picturing the Oilers replacing their sticks with ringette sticks pre-game. It would explain a few things.

99. rickithebear says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL":
    8p0intgame,

DM me with any further questions.

Let’s talk hockey.

Half at work are investing in tangible precious metals; Platinum; Gold; Silver.

the other half in viscious metal: Lead

I have both!

100. fifthcartel says:

godot10,

Also compared Yakupov to a dog, which was pretty questionable. I see what he was trying to say, but he phrased it horribly.

Respect, ladies.

102. Auston Matthews '16 says:

fifthcartel,

Yeah – instead of humping a leg, he should be sticking his nose in a crotch?

103. Captain's Log says:

Seems like one of those games where a veteran team comes in, does enough to get a lead and then shuts it down to save energy. Am I about right?

104. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

rickithebear: Half at work are investing in tangible precious metals; Platinum; Gold; Silver.

the other half in viscious metal: Lead

I have both!

He he, love you, Ricki.

105. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Did I miss something? Or was I the cause of the infraction (“He said ‘central bank’, which is surely a 4 letter word”).

Ha ha.

Well, that was a good lesson for the Oilers. They flat out got owned. Outworked and outsmarted tonight. It happens. Fasth really held them in there, otherwise it was a gong show.

106. TemujinBC says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

You keep that ekernomics #fancystats talk outta here boy!

107. hunter1909 says:

the other half in viscious metal: Lead

I have both!

I used to know this alkie IBM employee. The dude used to drink a half bottle of cheap whisky every night, but once upon a time had real potential. Dead now. Anyway, he’d occasionally come up with the odd gem, such as:

“When the nukes come, I see them(THEM being the rich) trying to turn their gold into lead”

That sort of shit.

Or:

“Try counting to ten, when you’re in a phone booth full of hornets”.

108. VanOil says:

G Money: SkyreachNet

I look forward to the installment when old school SkyreachNet shots battles with newby SkyreachNet SAF. I hope our new overlord will one day smile on the Oilers.

109. hunter1909 says:

The game? Imagine paying to go to see this crap.

Tier one fans, lol.

110. hunter1909 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: They flat out got owned. Outworked and outsmarted tonight.

Yes, but at least Arcobello and Perron got points.

111. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

TemujinBC,

Ha, yeah. I saw dem good. I hope 8pointgame read that. Ha ha.

Flames up 3-0 on the Sharks. Conflicted. Sharks missing the playoffs would mean we may get some players from them, but I don’t want them to miss while the Flames get in. Time for whisky and a book. Blah.

112. Suntory Hanzo says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL",

xNYC,

That was a great Coles notes of the Oil trade. No…not that kind…

I appreciated that.

I love this blog for things like that. And ScarJo. And CoffinTents.

113. hunter1909 says:

rickithebear: Is it surprising yak was most successful with Horcoff his first year.

What about Yakupov seeing his confidence and overall game destroyed by Dallas “Chickenhawk” Eakins?

114. Cameron says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

(in the voice of Ilya Bryzgalov)

why you heff to bee soo med?

115. hunter1909 says:

Captain’s Log:

Yes. At least we can console ourselves with the fact that the Penguins stink, and are destined to never win another cup.

116. hunter1909 says:

I thought the Oilers played better than they usually ever did under Chickenhawk.

117. hunter1909 says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL",

You have time on your hands, right?

118. Tire Fire says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Seems pretty much everyone here in Toronto is going. Which means I should look for tickets, I guess. But man, they’re expensive here.

Not standing room tix, my man, they’re where it’s at for us po’ boys. I’m looking forward to it, let’s develop some secret Lowetide nod that we can exchange at the game.

119. hunter1909 says:

godot10:

Nelson is a great, old timey style hockey coach.

Chickenhawk Eakins should offer to fight him in a barn or something.

120. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Cameron:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

(in the voice of Ilya Bryzgalov)

why you heff to bee soo med?

Ha ha. No, no. Some of my best friends are Flames fans. They’ve finally stopped trolling me now, though. I think they even feel bad and realize it’s not the fans’ fault. Ha ha. I actually enjoy watching Giordano/Brodie. Wish we had a pair like that. And it’s always fun to cheer for the little guy. But that’s all you will ever get from me. Hope you finish 9th so long as you don’t win the lottery. 😉

121. hunter1909 says:

How the f@@k can anyone bbq in February?

122. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Tire Fire: Not standing room tix, my man, they’re where it’s at for us po’ boys.I’m looking forward to it, let’s develop some secret Lowetide nod that we can exchange at the game.

123. book¡je says:

I think we can all agree what needs to be done now.

They need to remove the ping pong table from the dressing room.

124. hunter1909 says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL":
    8p0intgame,

Now this cuts both ways.
    But, that’s a relatively small part of the Canadian economy.

Now I, and several other posters here, more astute than I, had been warning of a relief rally to come for the past ten days or so, one which would take oil up, but likely not beyond $60. We saw that unfold. Now, high short interest means that speculators are bearish on the future price of the underlying security, in this case, oil. However, the short interest, if it’s high, is often a contrary indicator. When every last guy is in there short, well, there’s only one way to close out your position and lock in profits, and that’s to buy them back. It gets worse if you’ve shorted too late and you’re under water. When others start to cover, you can easily get carried out. Oil rallied 20% in a week as of one moment yesterday at $54 (from $45~54). There was so much pain out there for shorts. Many of them were forced to cut and cover.However, now many of them have closed out their positions. There is less demand, therefore, to buy in the market. And so once that tipping point was reached and today’s bad news was announced, the path of least resistance again became lower. That’s what we’re seeing in oil prices.

DM me with any further questions.

Let’s talk hockey.

125. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

hunter1909,

Soon, I will have a lot of time, yes. Although probably limited internet access. Will be heading out on a long, long road trip in about a month.
    So getting my fix of posting in before I become one of those mythical creatures. Unicorns. Or “Steve Smith”

126. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

book¡je:
    I think we can all agree what needs to be done now.

They need to remove the ping pong table from the dressing room.

Ha ha. I laughed.

127. hunter1909 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    hunter1909,

No Starbucks?

128. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

hunter1909: How about this: A one horse economy is at the mercy of cyclical swings. Albertans have become idiot fat cats, and now they’re about to face reality.

129. hunter1909 says:

Methinks the Oilers could be competitive. They just need a few better players, lol.

130. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

hunter1909: No Starbucks?

131. hunter1909 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: I think we had that discussion of the comparison between what Alberta has done vs. what Norges Bank of Norway has done. I think Norway weathers this much better than does Canada because they’ve taken their oil surpluses and invested in businesses and property all over the world. And damn if the people working there aren’t ridiculously smart and professional (they are of the highest calibre).

132. Tire Fire says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL": Really? I saw standing room at like $130 on stub hub. That doesn’t seem cheap! And I’d be happy to stand for a reasonable fee. ha ha. That did not seem reasonable for the privilege of standing.

$70 bucks each from ticketmaster ages ago. Pricey to stand, but a deal compared to sitting close.

I also bought Blues/Oil tickets in Edmonton at the end of the month. I waited until the day after the Blues smashed the lowly Oil and the prices dropped way down. $48 per seat in the nosebleeds.

133. hunter1909 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: First few stops, not so much. The middle of the desert in New Mexico doesn’t really have many Starbucks. Mobile meth trucks maybe. Ha ha.

134. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Tire Fire: $70 bucks each from ticketmaster ages ago.Pricey to stand, but a deal compared to sitting close.

I also bought Blues/Oil tickets in Edmonton at the end of the month.I waited until the day after the Blues smashed the lowly Oil and the prices dropped way down.$48 per seat in the nosebleeds.

I was hoping for a similar last minute drop for this game, but I guess not in this town on a Saturday in the middle of winter. Not much else going on.

135. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

hunter1909: I’ve only seen Nevada. As an Oiler fan, the desert is the perfect umm…there’s a word but I’ve been drinking heavily and cannot for the life of me come up with it. Something about wandering, I do know that part.

Nevada is great, Arizona is great, Utah and New Mexico are another level of special. If you ever get the chance, please do a road trip out there and see some of the national parks and monuments. Almost makes you want to wander the desert for a decade.

136. hunter1909 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Nevada is great, Arizona is great, Utah and New Mexico are another level of special. If you ever get the chance, please do a road trip out there and see some of the national parks and monuments.

I remember seeing the grand canyon as an 8 year old. Long time ago, before barriers etc. Being more interested in life savers and hershey bars…

My fave spot on earth is northern Italy.

137. hunter1909 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

I’ve always got a soft spot for Texas.

138. Tire Fire says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Nice. I had no idea I would wind up in Toronto until November so couldn’t plan ahead. Then I hoped that the Leafs sucking and the Oilers sucking would lead to a drop in ticket prices. In New York, that happened. I bought primo seats, club seats right at the hashmarks where the Oilers attacked in the 1st and 3rd. I was right there for Yak’s game winning one-timer. But paid face value, $330 for those (MSG is expensive). I saved up for that and it was painful. Even more painful when people around me told me they got their seats for $100 on stub hub because season ticket holders didn’t want to see the Oilers in March. Haaaaaa

Try seeing a mid-week game in Detroit. I saw Robbie Nilsson score his TSN play-of-the-year finalist goal for 8 bucks via stub hub. Same thing where the spoiled-by-winning fans don’t bother with mid-season and mid-week games.

139. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

hunter1909,

Tuscany is amazing. Especially for food/vino/art.

140. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Tire Fire,

Wow. That’s awesome.

Reminds me of going down to the Kingdome to see the Mariners in 94. $5 a ticket to get in and then it was 4th inning onwards you could move down to any seat that was open. Back then they drew about 10K fans a game despite Griffey, Buhner, Martinez, Martinez, Johnson, Cora, Rodriguez. It was ridiculously good value.

141. 8p0intgame says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL",

Thank you, NYOil. There’s so much I can learn from the people on this blog, I appreciate you taking the time to oblige me (not that others haven’t in the past, I appreciate you guys too!).

142. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

8p0intgame,

Any time. Just DM if you have any other questions, etc.

Just finished doing game grades for Bruce and Jon.

What an excruciating job to write that up after such an awful game.

Here’s something I noticed when doing the write up:

TOI for Oiler Dmen vs Crosby and Malkin combined:

Petry 15:32, Ference 13:28, Aulie 12:58, Fayne 12:54, Klefbom 7:07, Schultz 6:54

Quite the sheltering for Schultz and Klef eh?

So Aulie plays the 3rd most minutes against those two eh?

That’s not good coaching.

At all.

Bruce just let me know that I’ve done 3 Oilers games for CoH this year and in all three the Oilers were shut out.

Clearly I’m the problem.

In related new MacT has offered me a long and valuable extension!

TemujinBC:
    I blame Woodguy and his fancy stats for Fleury’s shutout.

Ha!

Again, I am to blame.

146. RicaGreaser says:

hunter1909: Norwegians are vikings. They have incredibly hot women, told the EU to go sit on a stick, and basically understand the facts of surviving the bubonic plague. Albertans on the other hand have only existed for 100 odd years, believe in the easter bunny, and truly believe that sitting on a pile of oily sand makes them some kind of special breed.

It’s early morning here in Trondheim. After I wake up to feel bad about my “real” Oilers I look to see where my adopted Stavanger Oilers are and smile. Another key difference between Alberta and Norway.

RK TEAM GP W OTW SOW OTL SOL L PTS PCT GF GA PIM HOME AWAY
    1 Stavanger Oilers 38 26 3 0 0 1 8 85 75 158 83 611 16-2-0-2 10-1-1-6
    2 Storhamar Dragons 38 24 1 1 4 0 8 80 70 168 96 436 10-2-2-5 14-0-2-3
    3 Lørenskog IK 38 22 2 2 1 1 10 76 67 134 91 748 11-2-0-6 11-2-2-4
    4 Frisk Asker 38 22 3 1 0 0 12 74 65 138 86 557 10-2-0-7 12-2-0-5
    5 Sparta Sarpsborg 38 22 0 0 1 4 11 71 62 152 103 665 14-0-1-3 8-0-4-8
    6 Vålerenga Ishockey 38 18 2 0 2 2 14 62 54 151 111 618 8-2-2-7 10-0-2-7
    7 Lillehammer IK 38 16 1 3 0 1 17 57 50 119 117 494 9-3-0-8 7-1-1-9
    8 Stjernen Hockey 38 12 1 1 1 0 23 41 36 106 147 626 9-2-0-8 3-0-1-15
    9 Manglerud Star 38 3 2 0 4 0 29 17 15 73 181 770 2-2-0-14 1-0-4-15
    10 Kongsvinger Knights 38 1 0 1 2 0 34 7 6 54 238 716 1-1-1-16 0-0-1-18

147. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I also blame WG for the loss.

148. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Just watched Robert Wise’s Andromeda Strain. Not great. Pretty sure he was obsessed with Peckinpah at the time… lots of interesting cut out shots.

If the Oilers won all their remaining games, they’d have 97 points.

149. Hammers says:

Actually I thought they. did reasonable well without Hall & Pouliot against a team with Crosby & Malkin. In fact I think we would probably loose even if they played . We are a bottom feeder and 1 of 2 teams in the west and 6 in the East that won’t see a playoff game . I don’t understand why so many get pissed off when they loose to a team we have no right to beat.

Ricagreaser: Tell me about Kongsvinger Knights. I think they may be worth following. (BANG! Thud).

151. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy filled in for me and did our player grades at the Cult of Hockey.

He also “filled in” Craig MacTavish with a devastating grade & comment. We don’t usually grade the GM on a game-by-game basis (or the refs for that matter) but I told Woodguy, “tonight it’s your soap box, have at ‘er” and he did in his inimitable fashion. Well worth a read. (Of course we like to think that is true every game!)

Thanks, Darcy.

152. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy:

Clearly I’m the problem.

In related new MacT has offered me a long and valuable extension!

In Woodguy’s 3 games, Viktor Fasth has played each time, posting a cumulative 1.69 GAA and .935 Sv% to go along with a shiny 0-2-1 W-L-O record.

Don’t tell WG that goaltending is this team’s biggest problem.

Don’t tell Fasth that either. In 8 games that he has held the opposition to 2 or fewer goals, Fasth has a 3-4-1 record. Goal support an issue.

153. Bruce McCurdy says:

Just came up those last three shots short, dammit.

154. Suntory Hanzo says:

Woodguy..why you hate Oiler goalscoring so much?

155. RicaGreaser says:

LT, no need to go all the way back into the basement…if the first place Stavanger Oilers are too much of a shock to the system, the Swedish second division has a team firmly in a playoff spot called Rogle (ROO-glah). If I take off my reading glasses and look at their logo they make me feel happy too. Fourth overall.

Back to the Stavanger Oilers…there is a real connection to our hamsters as Pat Thoresen’s father is their head coach and his sister is the sales manager. Norwegian Oilers even do nepotism better than their North American counterparts…she’s easy on the eyes.

Katz and Co. won’t keep me down as long as I can pretend.

156. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

RicaGreaser,

That’s awesome. Is Sparta Sarpsborg’s logo like a cube or like a Spartan? Or somehow both?

157. RicaGreaser says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    RicaGreaser,

Marvin the Martian hiding in an equipment closet.

158. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

RicaGreaser,

That’s great. And they’ve been around since 1928? That’s fantastic.

And Trondheim. Looks so beautiful. Norway is high on my list to visit but is quite far out of the way from most places I go. Some day for sure. I just want to get lost in the landscapes. Thanks for sharing those standings.

159. frjohnk says:

Woodguy:
    Just finished doing game grades for Bruce and Jon.

What an excruciating job to write that up after such an awful game.

Here’s something I noticed when doing the write up:

TOI for Oiler Dmen vs Crosby and Malkin combined:

Petry 15:32, Ference 13:28, Aulie 12:58, Fayne 12:54,Klefbom 7:07, Schultz 6:54

Quite the sheltering for Schultz and Klef eh?

So Aulie plays the 3rd most minutes against those two eh?

That’s not good coaching.

At all.

Good job in the player grades.

I think people need to read this quote and let it digest a bit.

“Its interesting to note that this year under Dallas Eakins the Oilers won 7 games in regulation out of 31, and despite everyone talking about how much better they are without him, they’ve only won 3 out of 21 in regulation since he was sacked. (4 other “wins” have come in the shootout.) That’s not a defence of Eakins, but rather some cold water to help people to see that this is the same flawed team. I think its safe to say that coaching is really just a sidebar for what is wrong with this team.”

Bruce McCurdy:
    Woodguy filled in for me and did our player grades at the Cult of Hockey.

Thanks, Darcy.

Thanks for the great big soap box Bruce.

I appreciate you leaving in my MacT and Dmen match up rants.

I actually wrote this sober too!

frjohnk: Good job in the player grades.

I think people need to read this quote and let it digest a bit.

Thank you.

Crazy stat eh?

“The Oilers are waaaaay better under Nelson, corgi’s be damned!”

Actually……not really.

162. Lois Lowe says:

At least we can hope they choose to go in a different direction coaching wise in the off season. Nelson is not the coaching Jesus that Godot wants him to be.

163. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Lois Lowe:

I don’t know that it’s coaching. Looks like a personnel issue to me.

164. Yeti says:

I think we need more research on the relationship between corsi and shootout success.

Yeti:

Its been done: http://mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_640x430/public/flip-coin_5.jpg

166. frjohnk says:

Woodguy: Thank you.

Crazy stat eh?

“The Oilers are waaaaay better under Nelson, corgi’s be damned!”

Actually……not really.