OILERS AT DEVILS, G54 2014-15

Saturday night in Toronto can be tough, Oilers fans have seen good and bad in the big Smoke over the years. This past Saturday was truly noxious, complete with some of the worst defending since the 1974-75 Washington Capitals. 2006 was a long time ago, the rebuild keeps getting re-set and the team crumbles like crumb cake at the first sign of danger. What the hell? It’s exhausting to be an Oilers fan, can’t imagine what the team feels like. Taylor Hall flew home, Jeff Petry took the next day off and the furious fanbase licked their wounds and wailed at the Gods. The team crawled from the wreckage and headed to the birthplace of Frank Sinatra (actually Newark is 30 minutes from Hoboken, Sinatra’s birthplace).

LOWETIDE TOP 10, 2014-15

1. (1)C Connor McDavid, Erie Otters (OHL) Actual Jesus.
  2. (2)C Jack Eichel, Boston U (NCAA) Franchise player.
  3. (4)C Dylan Strome, Erie Otters (OHL) Exceptional offensive player, the good Strome and the other guy is terrific.
  4. (3)D Noah Hanifin, Boston College (NCAA) Complete skill set, just turned 18. Franchise blue.
  5. (5)R Mitch Marner, London Knights (OHL) Elite offensive player in junior, stunning skill.
  6. (8) D Ivan Provorov, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL). Considerable evidence he’ll be the best offensive defenseman in the draft.
  7. (6) D Oliver Kylington, Farjestad (SHL) Wonderful range of skills, could be best defender in the draft.
  8. (7) D Zach Werenski, Michigan (NCAA). May be hurt or helped by similarity to Hanifin. The better offensive player of the two.
  9. (10) C Nick Merkley, Kelowna (WHL).Powerful skater with terrific play-making ability.
  10. (11) L Evgeni Svechnikov, Cape Breton (QMJHL). Major skill, size, speed.

hall hit gif

HALL’S INJURY

• Todd Nelson: “It wasn’t responding like we wanted it to. He’s going back to get an MRI just to make sure that we know what we’re dealing with. Then we’ll go through the process after that.” Source

From Bobby Orr to Wendel Clark to countless others, I’ve seen this movie before. The individual injuries are one thing but for Taylor Hall to accumulation and the lost time is becoming a bigger factor in his career trajectory. He’s a brilliant player but he may never shine as brightly as we had hoped for on his draft day. A damn shame and a sobering backdrop to what will probably be the crowning of a new franchise king this summer. The modern Edmonton Oilers run through youth like armies at war: They are regarded as a never-ending resource. Godspeed, Taylor Hall. Here’s a brief history of Hall injuries:

1. March 5, 2011—suffers ankle injury and misses the remainder of the season.
  2. November 2011—left shoulder injury, misses 7 games.
  3. January 2012—head injury, misses two games.
  4. March 18, 2012—concussion, misses the remainder of the season.
  5. March 2013—hamstring injury, misses one game.
  6. November 2013—left knee injury, misses 7 games.
  7. November 3, 2014—sprained mcl (right knee), misses 6 games.
  8. January 27, 2015—takes puck off leg in practice, ankle injury.
  9. February 8, 2015—Flies home to have another look at that ankle.

fasth capture

CURRENT ESTIMATED TRADE VALUES (DEADLINE EDITION)

• Boyd Gordon: I think he could fetch a pick inside the Top 50 overall—and that’s in a deep draft. Gordon can help in multiple areas, he’d have significant value.
  • Jeff Petry: A late second or third-round pick. Petry is a younger blue but the team trading for him has no guarantee he’ll sign. Strictly as a rental, I think the pick lands somewhere between No. 55 and No. 80.
  • Viktor Fasth: A fourth-round pick. I think he’s played well enough to not only increase value but improve his odds of being dealt.
  • Matt Hendricks: A fourth-round pick. Hendricks has more value (imo) to Edmonton than he would if cashed but I wanted to mention it because Elliotte Friedman suggested there would be some interest (while he also said it was unlikely the Oilers would let him go).
  • Derek Roy: A fourth-round pick.  There’s a chance Edmonton will sign him but if they do make a trade I suspect the pick will land around No. 116.

SHOPPING

One of the things MacT said the other day is he didn’t anticipate adding anyone (as he did with Viktor Fasth a year ago). I think we’ll see the following over the next few weeks and then into summer:

• Deadline deals that bring in picks and prospects. I think the idea is to stock the cupboard after last season’s bizarre draft.
  • Callups for auditions that may include four or five new NHL players.
  • College signings (including goalie O’Connor).
  • A quick slicing of several RFA’s (candidates include Nail Yakupov, Matt Fraser, Tyler Pitlick, Anton Lander, Keith Aulie, Martin Marincin, Brad Hunt, Brandon Davidson, Curtis Hamilton, Tyler Bunz, Andrew Miller, Kellen Lain, Frans Tuohumaa) via not qualifying or trade. Some may move to Europe ala Roman Horak.
  • A summer spent targeting two or three specific pieces (Niemi, Seabrook, Hanzal types) to help this team up the middle.

Fewer overall additions but impact procurement. That’s my guess.

taylor2

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

We hit the ground running at 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. We’ll talk trade deadline and I’ll ask about a few specific spots (Blues, Flyers) as we head to March 2.
  • Scott Mitchell, Calgary Sun. CFL Free Agency tomorrow! Plenty of interesting talent available, we’ll chat about possible destinations.
  • Dennis King, Oilogshere icon. A stunning Toronto Saturday night, Now who is Mickey Mouse in New Jersey and Raptors!
  • 11:25 open line, your opinion on the possible cost of season tickets at the Taj Mahal.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Non Stop Dance Hits starting at 10!

269 Responses to "OILERS AT DEVILS, G54 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. LoDog says:

This is the first full game I have watched in a month. It wasn’t that terrible. Huh.

I thought marincin looked pretty good and klefbom was dreamy as usual. What do the numbers say?
    And why the fuck is ference on in the last minute!

2. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Man, that was way, way harder than it needed to be. Thank Gord Cammy whiffed on that wide open net.

Guys gotta go for the jugular with the empty net, not throw the puck away.

3. jp says:

Wow, 14 SA. When’s the last time that happened?

4. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

The Devils are not a good team. They’ve been bailed out by Corey Schneider’s hot streak.

I’m sorry, LT, but I can’t say that this was a great bounce back game. It was passable. It had some good moments, but also plenty of bad. Oilers should have put this game out of reach and didn’t. Against a better team they’d have coughed up that lead again.

After Saturday, anything is better, but let’s be realistic here.

5. TemujinBC says:

Scrivens wins his first road game of the season.

That’s just….

Its February for crissakes

The Oilers are sooooooo not getting McEichel!

6. LadiesloveSmid says:

jp:
    Wow, 14 SA. When’s the last time that happened?

7. Auston Matthews '16 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Devils are much slower than the Leaves too.

8. wheatnoil says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

The Devils are a team in the National Hockey League. The Oilers beat them in regulation. That kind of makes this a top 10 high point for the season.

9. sliderule says:

It was a good effort on the road against a good defensive team.

I saw Klefbom and Marincin as real good.

It was Marincin’s best game as an oiler ,moved the puck real well and tied up his man with that long body like an octopus.He played the two on one real well keeping puck carrier to outside.

10. Diesel says:

Another sweet victory. Unfortunately we are trying to limit our intake.

Diabetic for McDavid!

(You try rhyming with diabetic….)

11. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Diesel,

Sedated for McDavid.

12. Snowman says:

I’m really baffled by the Na-eel thing… I know lots of announcers say it but that’s not how Yak says it…

But because its the media I’m going to assume Na-eel forgot how to say his own name… how very enigmatic and Russian of him..

13. stevezie says:

Snowman,

It is my understanding that is how he says it. It was in the news when we drafted him, but everyone ignored it because “nail” is already an English word. Where are you getting your info?

14. stevezie says:

cabbiesmacker: Worse. He’s a boob with an embarassing shtick.

“So Nail you got hit pretty hard there huh? How did that feel?”

“How the fuck do you think it felt Gene? I love being knocked senseless you stupid twat.”

For my money, this is your greatest post. Perfect.

15. Snowman says:

stevezie,

When he does the intro for Stauffer’s show, he says this is Nail Yakupov. He doesn’t say it quite like Nail but its definitely not even remotely close to Na-eel.

16. Snowman says:

stevezie,

I suppose he could be trying to say it like everyone expects it to be said to avoid confusion… If you can’t beat ’em, pretend they say your name right kinda thing.

17. flyfish1168 says:

Nay eeeeel Yakupov now looks like a hockey player

18. Pouzar says:

Shady leading Oiler d-man in 5v5 score adjusted Fenwick!

19. jp says:

LadiesloveSmid: people were ragging on Buffalo for only getting 10 the other night against NYI. That was 30th vs. a team near atop the league

Oh God, I know this happens around the league. I just meant when was the last time our dear Oilers held someone to 14 SA.

20. RexLibris says:

Arizona and Chicago tied at the end of the 2nd.

21. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Shady leading Oiler d-man in 5v5 score adjusted Fenwick!

Sample size or small victories?

🙂

22. jp says:

Auston Matthews ’16:
    Diesel,

Sedated for McDavid.

Shit-the-bed for Mc-Da-vid

23. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: Sample size or small victories?

You never know who’s reading….tryin to pump up that trade value!

Halfwise: I admire your advanced stats usage there.

The more numbers in the post, the more advanced it is. QED.

25. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: The more numbers in the post, the more advanced it is.QED.

First person to use all the numbers wins!

26. HiddenDarts says:

Reasonable game, but I have to admit that Teddy Charmin has completely ripped the “least watchable Oilers player” award directly from Schultz’s hands!

Oh, and if the Rangers traded for Scrivens, you know someone on Kingsway has a really damaging picture of Slats. Like, multiple-murder-type photographs with axes, shredded clothes and bloody cigars.

TOI and CF% vs. Jagr (1st in points for NJD)

Ference 8:30
    Petry 7:56
    Marincin 5:52
    Fayne 5:11
    Jultz 2:33
    Dreamy 1:15

The Great Sheltering continues..

For the record (h/t @lewkc1) Klefbom & Jultz played mostly against Henrique, Zajac and Elias and were >70%CF. Klefbom is so dreamy. #dreamy

29. Pouzar says:

Woodguy:
    TOI and CF% vs. Jagr (1st in points forNJD)

Ference 8:30
    Petry 7:56
    Marincin 5:52
    Fayne 5:11
    Jultz 2:33
    Dreamy 1:15

The Great Sheltering continues..

This makes MM’s numbers even more impressive.
    And Ference……….well that’s another story.

30. Halfwise says:

jp: Shit-the-bed for Mc-Da-vid

Defecated for McDavid

31. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

wheatnoil:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Of that, there is no doubt. But I’m not going to go all bipolar and declare rebuild 4.0 a success based on tonight. (I know you’re not in any way doing that).

32. Tarkus says:

Halfwise: Defecated for McDavid

Looking ahead, since the Oil might have another front-row table at the Entry Draft, allow me to suggest “Abstruse for Matthews” (“abstruse” meaning difficult to understand, BTW).

33. Halfwise says:

Tarkus: I still prefer to use a certain word augmented with a grave accent to create “Depravèd for McDavid”.

Wasn’t “McDavid” hard enough? What’s going on in these junior leagues, anyway? They need #1 prospects with names like Schlitz, Rankin or Koepless.

34. Lois Lowe says:

Oiler orange for McDavid.

35. gogliano says:

Halfwise: That accent is grave indeed. As is the task of finding a suitable rhyme for Matthews.

Hitting the caboose
    For Matthews

Drais with a couple assists, Arizona beats Chicago on the road, Chicago still passes PIT, and Yakupov with a game winner. Decent night.

36. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Halfwise,

Depends if you’re ok with a one syllable rhyme or not. Lots of things rhyme with “ews.”

Bad news
    Lose
    Refuse
    Be Obtuse
    Spews

Etc.

bid adieus
    misconstrues
    underuse
    disabuse
    kangaroos — yeah, yeah, I know it makes no sense. but beats orange.

37. Halfwise says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL",

If I was writing a limerick it would have lines ending in things like “Rat chews for Matthews”

Dunno if I could find two more lines to go with that, though.

Edit: I guess I could just have a line ending in “rat chews”, one with “Matthews” and one with “shat poos”…

38. Halfwise says:

Gents, I hereby trademark “Shat Poos for Matthews” and claim my space on the kindergarten happy wall.

39. Hammers says:

Isles , Habs , Sens & Jets are the next 4 and Nelson needs 2 wins to stay at even money . Do the analysts grade him after his 20th game? Listening to some of the so called TV experts he seems to be getting rated as he goes .Will LT rate him after 20 or season end ? If Hall & Pouliot both stay out does that change his grade . I think we have some things to watch until seasons end . Evaluations on all of Nelson , Schultz , Klefbom , Yak , Marincin & Lander .

40. Eulers says:

I feel like I should be able to trade in my Oilers fan card if they trade Petry—no shame, no bandwagon jumping. Is that a thing? Can we make that a thing?

Willis’ article on ON discusses MacT’s plan for the blue and the plan is a long, dark tunnel. I keep thinking the Oilers management could not be this stupid when it comes to the D, but then we have this year’s deployment as counter-argument.

The Oilers can’t even sign their best defenceman when he ‘accidentally on purpose’ leaks that he wants to stay with the team (I’m reading through the lines here).

2014-2015: The year I lost faith in Craig MacTavish.

41. book¡je says:

I strangely believe the Oilers are going to sign Petry.

That might just be the crazy in me talking though.

42. steveb12344 says:

book¡je:
    I strangely believe the Oilers are going to sign Petry.

That might just be the crazy in me talking though.

I don’t think I would bet on that, but let’s say MacT really would like to keep him, but doesn’t want to pay his agent’s asking price. What would his strategy be to get the price down a bit?

I know it wouldn’t be to cave early and just give him whatever he’s asking for. I think his best bet would be to make it look like he has no interest in signing him and leave it to the last minute. That way if Petry really does want to stay, he may be willing to lower his terms a little to try and get the deal done.

43. Zangetsu says:

Halfwise,

I’ve got a good one, but LT doesn’t think those jokes are funny.

44. dangilitis says:

Zangetsu:
    Halfwise,

I’ve got a good one, but LT doesn’t think those jokes are funny.

If it’s racist, same goes for other individuals with intellect.

45. Oddspell says:

book¡je,

I agree but that’s because the Petry situation kind of reminds me of Hemsky 2011-12.

Then again, so did Hemsky 2013-14.

46. Acumen says:

Daily reader who doesn’t post often. This blog is my way of following the Oil while I’m travelling Europe with the lady friend (Portugal is a beautiful place BTW). Very happy to see the result tonight as I have apparently been visibly depressed when checking in on the team recently.

Extra happy to see Yakupov score, both because I love the kid and he really needs it, and because I’ve been banging the Yak for Larsson drum for a long time and the Devils brass saw him cash in on Adam’s mistake up close and personal. Larsson’s play of late has made my dream seem less and less likely.

All in all, a good way to start a rainy day in Albufeira.

47. v4ance says:

In an earlier thread, someone was speculating that the Rangers would sneak in and acquire Kane. That is an impossibility bordering on the ridiculous.

This year, the team has less than $2 million in cap remaining and the only money for money deal that could do is Brassad for Kane and they are not trading their #2C and blow a hole in their roster for an extra LW. The team already has a competitive set of LW in Nash, Kreider, Hagelin and Glass. The Jets also do not need any overpriced D (ie Girardi Boyle) from the Rangers with Morrissey and Trouba in the org.

Any early or mid-career player that the Jets would want from the Rangers (Miller, Kreider, Hagelin, Fast) to help them continue the playoff chase this year isn’t making enough to fit under the Ranger’s budget when you exchange Kane’s cap hit for theirs. And even if they did trade one of these good young players, why? None of these guys have any baggage that is forcing Sather to trade them for someone who is a big gamble as a possible headcase. Why mess with a good dressing room?

Next season, NYR will have $45 million of the projected $71 million cap tied up in Nash(7.8M), Brassard(5M), Girardi (5.5M) McDonough (4.7M), Boyle (4.5M) and Lundquist (8.5M) as the highlights. Their #1C Stephan and #3 LW Hagelin are RFAs and should get raises to chew up $10M (6+4) of cap. JT Miller and Fast are also RFAs and should get another $5M in cap. Projecting this far, the Rags have commitments of $60M out of the $71M max cap space.

If they walk away from pending UFAs St. Louis(5.625M), Zuccarello($3.5M), Stempniak(1M) and Marc Staal (4M) and promote Miller to #1RW, then they have to acquire and pay a #2, #3, and #4 RW and a top 4 D out of that remaining 11 million in cap room. PLUS they also need to add 2 depth forwards and 2 bottom pair D to fill out the roster. Looking just at these numbers,even if Kane isn’t traded before July 1, him making $5.25M is a luxury that NYR can’t afford unless the team wants to go old school and run with 3 lines and 4D.

The last option is that the Jets trade Kane for one or more of the Rangers’ older pending UFAs…. because Cheveldayoff really really really wants to get fired.

48. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

NYTimes: U.S. Is Seeking Felony Pleas by Big Banks in Foreign Currency Inquiry

This is another example of how the game is stacked against the everyman. The best thing you can do is arm yourselves with knowledge.

I find currency transactions among the most egregious. I still have a lot of expenses in US dollars so I went to the bank to change some Canadian dollars into US. Now, I’m a good client of theirs and their quote came at 1.178. The actual market at the time was 1.162. They wanted to take an extra 1.6 cents, 1% off the top. 1.178 had not traded since 2009. I told them no, they did it anyway, and then I had to do a whole song and dance to undo it all.

I went on my IB account and did it at 1.1625 and called it a day. I could understand a 1%spread if I were trading Canadian dollars for Korean won. But for US dollars? It’s robbery. Seriously. Most liquid trade in Canada is Canadian to US dollars. Retail banking has it too easy here thanks to the oligopoly they’ve enjoyed with no outside competition.

Arm yourselves with knowledge and shop around.

49. GCW_69 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:

After Saturday, anything is better, but let’s be realistic here.

Good goaltending can cover a myriad of sins. The Oilers should be paying whatever it takes to pry Andrei Vasilevskiy out of Tampa. Given they are a legit Cup contender this year, I would be offering Petry and the prospect of thier choice from the Oilers system. That includes Nurse or Leon. The Oilers could replace Nurse with Hanifan or Proporov or Leon with McDavid, Eichel, or Strome.

50. GCW_69 says:

And in other news, the Flames are now in second place in the Pacific, and Dubnyk won again.

If there is a God, he or she hates Oiler fans.

51. slopitch says:

GCW_69: Good goaltending can cover a myriad of sins. The Oilers should be paying whatever it takes to pry Andrei Vasilevskiy out of Tampa. Given they are a legit Cup contender this year,I would be offering Petry and the prospect of thier choice from the Oilers system.That includes Nurse or Leon. The Oilers could replace Nurse with Hanifan or Proporovor Leon with McDavid,Eichel, or Strome.

52. PhrankLee says:

I am so happy to see Nail score from that exact spot.

We should be so used to it by now. We are not.

That is sad and incredible.

Also I love seeing K-Bomber notch a tally. He really offers a nice skill set for the team to erode while they beat him into Nick Schultz. (Who is credited with being a difference maker and is loved in Phi these days!)
    To be fair the last Phi game I saw he played very well and was a shot blocking machine.

53. PhrankLee says:

slopitch: Goaltenders are voodo.

By the looks of things it takes a full 6-10 years post draft for them to be top of the league and consistent.

54. stephen sheps says:

GCW_69,

sorry for the really delayed reaction reply to your comment yesterday – academic not accountant; silly season ends mid April for us, too…

(and yes I am aware this comment contributed nothing of value to the thread, just didn’t want to be a jerk)

55. stephen sheps says:

56. SwedishPoster says:

Before a goalie has played at least 50+ games in one NHL season it seems impossible to know with any certainty if a guy is legit or not, and even then he might crash and burn the next year. Sure some guys are better bets than others and Vasilievskiy is the goalie not already starting at the NHL level I’m highest on by far but it’s so risky with tenders that I would be very scared to move anything high end for a goalie without a multiseason track record of being a good #1.

In other words they are voodo.

57. PhrankLee says:

I totally agree with LT on the value Boyd could hold as trade bait. I’m willing to argue that he should fetch something higher than suggested. He still has a year of term with us.

Yes, yes…all folk-hero notions aside I believe they will and probably should trade him.

58. frjohnk says:

PhrankLee:

I’m not that ready to give up for next season.

Does Gordon get us a number 50th overall pick? Which is about 20% chance that this pick turns into a useful player 4 to 5 years down the road.

We have enough picks and prospects.

Keep Gordon, try to sign him for another 2 years if possible.

We only have 1 other NHL center on the roster signed for next year.

Trading Gordon could possibly mean a guy like Yakimov is up with the big club next year.

And then we are looking at drafting top 5 again.

Eventually we have to make a push, I hope it is next year

59. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

frjohnk,

Agreed 100%. Trading Gordon away for a 2nd rounder is asinine. It’s insane.

60. PhrankLee says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

frjohnk,

Guys I agree. I really do but I think the cat is out of the bag in terms of the team telegraphing it’s intentions toward competitiveness.

They are putting all eggs in the 16/17 basket.

61. Numenius says:

frjohnk: Trading Gordon is another example that the oilers are not looking at trying to compete for the 15-16 playoffs. ( I hope they turn that Pitts pick into a ready player)

Playoffs? Without Gordon, they wouldn’t be able to compete to get out of the bottom 5.

Yeah, trading him would be a big mistake.

62. PhrankLee says:

frjohnk: We have enough picks and prospects.

No we do not. Not by a country mile.

The scouting staff is on the hotseat and each and every pick not including last year’s draft is suspect.

So we no longer wonder why we only have 2 players developed in our minor system. There will be a mass flush to make room in California and Moncton, imo.

63. Numenius says:

gogliano: Drais with a couple assists

Drai also would have had a goal, but it was questionably called back due to a high stick.

64. Tire Fire says:

Acumen:

Somehow I imagine you sitting in a hut by the sea in the rain. Reading Oilers news into a mirror to monitor how visibly depressed you get. With this team, something seems just right about that, I think I’m going to make that my new tradition.

65. Acumen says:

Tire Fire: Somehow I imagine you sitting in a hut by the sea in the rain. Reading Oilers news into a mirror to monitor how visibly depressed you get.With this team, something seems just right about that, I think I’m going to make that my new tradition.

I can see it too, with an Eeyore-sized rain cloud that rolls in when I get to hockey news.

In actuality, iwhen we get back to our room or a WiFi hotspot my girlfriend can tell when I move past Facebook, email, news sites and what-have-you into Oilers stuff. Says something bad about me when I’m more visibly upset by my hockey team than articles about what’s going on in Ukraine.

66. Tire Fire says:

Acumen,

Well, at least you have vacationing in Portugal to cheer you up. The rest of us just have freezing cold and bitter attitudes. Seriously jealous right now.

67. GCW_69 says:

slopitch: Goaltenders are voodo. I wouldnt move Nurse or Leon for Vasilevskiy. I like him a ton but not at that price.

No risk, no reward. He is about as sure a thing as you are going to get with a young goalie. This team cannot afford to play it safe. And, as I noted, this draft offers opportunity to replace whatever prospect Tampa picks.

68. GCW_69 says:

stephen sheps: I wonder if that’s even a remote possibility beyond wishful thinking. Anyone know how their Latvian 3rd stringer is doing in the AHL this season? The kid who nearly single-handedly beat Canada?

If you made that offer, I don’t see how Tampa turns it down unless thier plan is to turf Bishop for Andrei in the next year or two.

Petry makes a very good defence better for this season’s cup run and they get a top prospect too boot. It may not get it done but I would think Yzerman would have to think long and hard about it.

« Older Comments