OILERS AT ISLANDERS, G55 2014-15

Nail Yakupov played his 165th game last night and scored his 34th career goal. That’s 17 goals per 82 games but watching that snipe last night it’s easy to get carried away and dream of 30-goal seasons. I spoke to Jason Strudwick on last night’s TSN1260 post game show and he mentioned that Yak’s slappers are wild and crazy but last night’s snapshot was giddyup. If Nail can be more accurate, he could certainly cash a dozen power-play goals a year, maybe more.

If the Oilers can save this young man, unlock 25 goals a year, the rebuild would take one giant leap forward—providing they can get a bridge deal done for a reasonable number.

• Yakupov: “Finally, it’s got to go in. I’m just trying to get open. We got good guys and skill players who can pass the puck. I had a couple of shots that couldn’t go through. The third one I put in. That’s what I’ve got to do more and more every game.” Source

EVEN-STRENGTH TOI (BLUE)

1. Andrew Ference 19:09
  2. Jeff Petry 18:51
  3. Justin Schultz 18:08
  4. Oscar Klefbom 16:54
  5. Mark Fayne 16:52
  6. Martin Marincin 16:43

That’s pretty even distribution and the most interesting item for me last night pertains to Ference: He didn’t play any special teams. None. That’s the kind of thing you see from rookies. Ference made it all back at evens though.

Yeah, verily. Klefbom has terrific wheels and can pass the puck, plus we’re seeing him engage offensively now (that’s always a mixed blessing but he scored again last night). For me, Marincin also showed well last night and hopefully we see more of Martin now through season’s end. Perhaps MacT will even remember his name in a media avail.

FULL NELSON

nelson capture

(VIA WAR-ON-ICE)

NAME EAKINS AND AFTER NELSON
GAMES 36 18
CORSI FOR % (ALL) 50.3 48.9
PDO (ALL) 95.9 98.3
FENWICK FOR % (ALL) 49.6 47.7

We’ll be spending some time this week looking at the team under Nelson but early results have PDO up while Corsi and Fenwick are down under Nelson. We can tweak if you like—this team doesn’t have Hall or Pouliot right now—but when we run things up and down I think the numbers are going to suggest Eakins had the better deployment and possession and the Hockey Gods prefer Nelson.

The numbers we’ll remember and write our stories about? 8-8-2. It’s human nature. The brain nods yes and the math makes so much sense and luck is luck is luck is luck—and yet we stare at the 8-8-2, remember 7-22-7 and good gosh almighty there’s a change in the air and the good times are coming soon. Facts are a  well-balanced meal and wins are a Whopper with that redhead: No time to think!

I think there are bad days ahead, probably including tonight. That said, I can’t for one damn minute get my heart to overrule my brain and walk around with a frown today. Oilers won! Klefbom’s a matinee idol! Eberle looks fab and Nuge skated miles. Even Marincin had those lovely calm feet we love so much. So embrace it. Just for today. We’ll go back to rain tomorrow. Just for today, it’s okay to smile.

LAST 10 GAMES, SCORING

last 10 games feb 10

There’s absolutely no evidence we should expect this kind of offense from Oscar Klefbom but it’s fun to enjoy while it lasts. Jordan Eberle is really stepping up over these last 10 games and I’m fine with Nuge’s output too. If he can score 50 points in a two-way role when 80% of those points are at evens? Music! Just an extremely valuable player. His 25 even-strength points ties him for No. 60 in the NHL among forwards in a difficult offensive season for the team. Third line center? Yeah. Try first-line at 21 and let’s see how this looks in three years. Nuge is getting a lot of disrespect, it’s our job to remember (hello, Kelly Hrudey!) and remind as the future rolls out.

mcdavid

Odds this morning Edmonton gets McEichel:

• McDavid: 13.5%
  • Eichel: 20.0%
  • Hanifin/Strome/Bonsignore: 66.5%

Source

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

fonda210-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Lowdown hits the air at 10 this morning, TSN 1260.

• Jonathan Willis, Cult of Hockey and Oilers Nation. Jon will explain the Oilers.
  • Andrew Bucholtz, 55-yard Line. CFL free agency hits at 10, I want the Eskimos to bring back Lawrence and Curran, plus add all of the good O-linemen. What will I get? An American receiver is my guess.
  • Travis Yost, TSN Analytics. We’ll talk about Nelson’s 8-8-2 versus Eakins sexy Corsi with legs to the sky. Corn meal versus steak—what do we make of this?

Talk soon!legs

333 Responses to "OILERS AT ISLANDERS, G55 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. Auston Matthews '16 says:

I’m really loving Oscar Klefbom’s play but wish he or Marincin would change numebrs.

LT – why do you hate the 80s?

2. John Chambers says:

So the powerplay is now fixed?

3. wheatnoil says:

Hamilton… Lander… I’m really impressed with the OKC Baron powerplay. They could teach the Oilers a thing or two.

4. RexLibris says:

Auston Matthews ’16: LT – why do you hate the 80s?

I’m guessing it has to do with his hairstyle. 80s hair, a universal regret of those who lived through it.

5. RexLibris says:

Speaking of the 80s…

Capuano and Nelson – two men who look as likely to meet beneath the hood of a Trans Am as behind the bench of a hockey team.

6. VanOil says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: That was far more concise than my ramble. Hat tip to you and Mr. King.

I think MacT’s intelligence as a coach is highly over rated in these parts. I still stand by my Mothers assessment of MacT from his coaching days;

He is the male equivalent of a big titted blonde, great hair and cooing words (in this case about hockey) are enticing but mask a lack of substance.

You hire Loni Anderson to work at reception you let Bailey Quarters run your hockey team.

note: My Mother probably would of stated it less crudely

7. Adam Wu says:

RexLibris:
    I mean, they used to be able to identify good defenseman.

Now they’ve got one staring them in the bloody face and they can’t see it.

The mind boggles because it just doesn’t add up.

Knowing you have a good defencemen and believing that you nevertheless need, or have, to give him up can easily coexist in the same smart brain.

And you know what? With us not being privy to every detail concerning the issue, the two beliefs can not only coexist, they can BOTH be RIGHT.

8. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: numbers

So long as neither goes for the cursed #44 we should be safe. For awhile at least.

9. Pretendergast says:

good for sportsnet pumping up fasth’s value, finally the media is in our corner!

10. RexLibris says:

Adam Wu: Of course they recognize Petry’s value. One just needs to look at the ice time and game situations they put him in.

I’ll accept that we are not privy to the entire story here.

Petry may have wanted $6 million a year and the Oilers would have balked at that price tag. Rightly so. But the Oilers have rarely shied from negotiating in the public sphere when it has come to that and they didn’t this summer.

It should have begun with a quick prioritization of assets and re-signing Petry to a long term contract should have come before item “acquire and sign Nikita Nikitin”.

11. Auston Matthews '16 says:

RexLibris: two men who look as likely to meet beneath the hood of a Trans Am as behind the bench of a hockey team.

To be fair, setting the carb jets to tweak another 0.10 seconds out of the 1/4 mile is an art! It’s all about that 60′ time…

12. RexLibris says:

Gazdic with 4 SOG.

Crafty Oilers doing an advanced analytics pump and dump before the deadline?

Trade him for Cody Hodgson!

(I kid, I kid)

13. rickithebear says:

Can we switch lander with Yak for the 1 time right side.
    Cause lander would be 1 not 3!

14. Halfwise says:

^This.

Value and deal are two different things altogether.

15. Auston Matthews '16 says:

RexLibris: “acquire and sign Nikita Nikitin”.

But he’s an Olympian!

16. Klima's_Bucket says:

Auston Matthews ’16: But he’s an Olympian!

And a double agent

17. Pouzar says:

1. I am taking credit for vouching for Lander’s offensive abilities. 🙂
    Screw you Petrell/Eager.

2. Ryan Hamilton goes to the net a lot in OKC. Nice to see him doing the same here.

18. Pretendergast says:

Petry sticking up for nuge, why god why can’t we have nice things?!

19. Captain's Log says:

Nice to see the Oilers sticking up for each other a little more lately.

FFS MacT, sign the man!

20. frjohnk says:

3rd game in 4 nights and tied in the 3rd against one of the leagues best teams.

I’m guessing they shit the bed against Toronto to save themselves for this game.

21. RexLibris says:

Pretendergast:
    Petry sticking up for nuge, why god why can’t we have nice things?!

Yeah, but his body language was bad in the scrum.

🙂

22. striatic says:

Lander logging some impressive minutes tonight, with only Nuge and Eberle ahead of him.

Among forwards, obviously.

23. Pouzar says:

frjohnk:
    3rd game in 4 nights and tied in the 3rd against one of the leagues best teams.

And 6-0 in shots in 3rd period

24. Pouzar says:

There’s Eberle….NOT in the tough areas again.

25. Captain's Log says:

This is not the first time I’ve heard a commentator say something similar and it drive me nuts:

“I’m not sure how they average .3 of a shot”

Are the math abilities of these commentators so poor that they don’t know how averages work?

(PS: I’m a Math teacher….)

26. Pouzar says:

Low Shot Rebound Ryan.

27. striatic says:

Tavares had the Oilers hypnotized there. Svengali.

28. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

striatic:
    Tavares had the Oilers hypnotized there. Svengali.

Both great young players with different styles. Love watching them both.

29. Numenius says:

G Money: 5 – In every case that I’ve looked at, PDO effects are swamped by noise and goaltender quality. I’d say two years before you’re confident you’re looking at signal and not noise. You need a LOT of data to draw any conclusions, far more data than we have on Eakins and Nelson.

I can agree that it’d be nice to have 2 years of data to clearly make the statistical case that Eakins was part of the problem with PDO. On the other hand, I’m glad the Oilers didn’t wait that long and could trust their eyes and ears at some point, leaving us with a mere 1 1/2 years of data.

Statistical proof is nice, but it’s a high standard that often isn’t practical in the real world, requiring at least some “saw him good/bad” observations. Indeed, even with the statistics I’m assuming you would agree you need at least some “saw him good/bad” observations in order to put it in the proper context.

30. Pouzar says:

Really really liking Yak’s half court game right now….the rush has to come right?

31. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Tavares has nothing on LANDER though.

32. Suntory Hanzo says:

Oilers seem to be using the point shot more than I can recall in recent memory. Plus…people actually go to the net.

It’s a two way sway!

33. Gerta Rauss says:

Anton Lander is dreamy

34. RexLibris says:

That was two minutes of the most beautiful Oilers hockey I’ve seen in some time.

I don’t care if the Islanders scored, I never expected them to win this one. What they showed in positioning and puck support and movement during that span was so encouraging.

35. Pretendergast says:

ELPH!

36. SK Oiler Fan says:

Oilers haven’t completed that many passes in a row in forever. Of course its all for not and the puck gets wacked into the oilers net, but this is an Entertaining 3rd period. I’m actually watching the game!

37. Bonsignore_of_the_Vanities says:

RexLibris:
    Speaking of the 80s…

*disappears into a puff of smoke*

38. RexLibris says:

Formerly NYCOil

That last stretch there between the 6 and 5 minute mark illustrated what I was referring to by playing with speed and quickness. Hendricks, Klinkhammer and company were moving quickly and darting to open areas of the ice, reading off of each other and cycling the puck well. Forcing reactions from the defense and forwards and keeping them a step behind.

39. striatic says:

That was garbage. Hard working effort draws a high stick, not called, goes the other way for a goal. Ugly.

40. Captain's Log says:

Seems like Hendricks and Gazdic have switched spots. I don’t mind Lander getting a much better linemate but it turns what is an excellent checking line into a so-so one.

41. RexLibris says:

Nice game to send Nassau (Oilers/Isles version) into the history books.

Entertaining and fast. Good play by both sides.

42. striatic says:

Captain’s Log: The Islanders got away with several counts of muggery during that stretch of play and score. Of course.

Home ice advantage.

Games like this are better than the low effort blowouts though, at least, even if the outcome feels undeserved.

43. jzed says:

I thought the worst zebra in the league already disclosed the swallow the whistle paradigm that the NHL uses. No surprises here.

44. LoDog says:

Great game. Eberle to tie it up please.

45. Jordan says:

Whew.

Were definitely in danger of getting some points and putting the tank job at risk.

Good thing the zebras were there to keep the L in reach.

46. Captain's Log says:

That was a hell of a game against a very good team, and frankly the Oilers deserved better.

If they play like this the rest of the season I’m going to be very happy.

47. sliderule says:

That sequence the oilers had was what I call possession hockey.

Nary a shot but total control.

The boys played well and deserved better.

48. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

RexLibris:
    Formerly NYCOil

49. Pouzar says:

RexLibris:

This. We deserved a better fate but that was awesome.

50. Suntory Hanzo says:

The key is to get the boys to understand that this is how the games are played, regardless win or lose. But to be playing At full intensity all the time, your odds increase dramtically to put more wins than losses.

Unfortunately, with young players, after. Great effort and a poor result, many think that the effort was wasted, and often do not put out the same effort the next time out because it “didn’t work”

Hopefully Nelson can put a spin on it.

51. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

All 3 stars are Islanders when the Oilers outplayed them? Yeah, Ok…

Whatever.

52. Snowman says:

Seems fitting since the boys haven’t won there in more than 15 years that they don’t win there tonight. Great game between old rivals one last time in the old barn. Tough to complain about a game like that.

One loss closer to the next franchise player. We were just kidding yesterday Buffalo. Craig’s on it.

53. Numenius says:

Suntory Hanzo:

Hopefully Nelson can put a spin on it.

Nailed it. Fantastic post.

54. LoDog says:

No dice but solid effort none the less.

I was entertained, have not been able to say that often.

55. RexLibris says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Eh…that was some decent hockey, yes, but I’m still pissed. That pressure is nice but team has to score. Reminds me of when Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins cycled and owned Getzlaf, Perry and the Ducks one night way back when and looked so full of potential. Here we are two years later. Tired of moral victories.

But this wasn’t Hall/Hopkins/Eberle and it was five guys.

I take encouragement from that.

However, I understand completely holding reservations about even the faintest glimmer of hope.

As a Flames fan recently asked me “do you see a light at the end of the tunnel?” to which I replied, “Yes but it is probably a train and at this point I can only hope its a TGV so the end can come that much more quickly”.

56. SK Oiler Fan says:

Didn’t look at the last Islander goal more than twice, but I’d say that needs to be stopped 99% of the time.
    Yep, just looked again. Victor was looking for the puck on the wrong side of the D, even though I’m not sure how he lost track of it in the first place.

57. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Yes, but they do this every once in a while. They tease you with what they can do, and then when they don’t get the results, they go back to bad habits. Seen it before. Need to see it again next time out. And then after that. And again after that.

But I’m not going to be Eeyore anymore tonight so will leave you guys be to bask in the glory of “close, but no cigar.” he he

58. RexLibris says:

Ottawa beats Buffalo 2-1.

St. Louis ahead of Arizona 2-1 at the end of the 2nd.

Might be a status quo night with no bottom four movement.

59. blainer says:

Really liked the play of Klef and lander tonight. Ebs is playing well too. The difference once again…. GOALTENDING…

60. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Snowman:

Yup, Oilers will go down as having never won in Uniondale in this Millennium! A wonderful record 🙂

61. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Despite the old ‘Smothers Brothers’ ploy in the first period, this was a pretty good road game by the Oilers. Takes a little of the sting from that Saturday night performance.

62. Pretendergast says:

Colin Mcdonald first star, of course.

Was i the only one on edge every time yak shot?

63. G Money says:

“Welcome to the NHL! Where if it wasn’t for biased and piss-poor refereeing, we’d have no refereeing at all!”

Oilers deserved better. Especially better refereeing. They played a darn good team under challenging no-Hall no-Pouliot “scheduled loss” circumstances, and were the better team most of the night.

64. jzed says:

The Oilers will always be the team that ended the Islanders dynasty, while starting their own. How many finals have they been in since the Oil took them out?

65. G Money says:

Pretendergast: Felt like each shot was going to burst the net, screw it i’m optimistic about nail.

I think he’s been terrific the last two games. He and Roy have been excellent.

Real NHL C helps struggling young winger.

Who knew?!?

66. LoDog says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:

67. Pouzar says:

blainer:

68. Suntory Hanzo says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Haven’t looked at the numbers, but aren’t most eastern team records versus the oilers a bit skewed because they would only play them at home once every three years?

69. GCW_69 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: No shame in that. I love Hall, but whenever Oiler fans talk about Hall being on Tavares’ level, that kind of play is what I point to as the reason why Tavares is still a bit better. Yes, Hall has more speed and is in the same tier of player, but just a notch below in the dominance aspect, I think. And that comes from watching Tavares a lot. He does that game in and game out against very good opponents.

Both great young players with different styles. Love watching them both.

I am a big fan of Hall, and I would trade him for Tavares any day of the week.

70. Bling says:

What a garbage non-call by the refs.

That puck is in the net if Vishnovsky doesn’t pull the desperation cross check from behind.

GREAT game by the Oilers, though.

Really, really fantastic effort.

I don’t know how or why the hell they played that well, but that was really encouraging.

71. oliveoilers says:

Bonsignore_of_the_Vanities: I lurk here, but I was compelled to make an account just to tell you I found this hilarious.

*disappears into a puff of smoke*

Wait! Come back! I have so many questions……….

72. Johnny Larue says:

That is the best game I have seen the oilers play all season . I thought they totally out played and out worked the NYI . Unfortunately our goalie was 2nd best again. Lander played a fantastic game it was Gadzics best game , that line was really good . A game like this actually gives me some hope . If we could find a goalie that would be a huge piece it turning this teams fortune. I think Lander is going to be a key player for this team going foward

73. G Money says:

Numenius,

I ALWAYS temper my statistics with actual watching of the game. Always have, always will.

I’m also in the crowd that says “the Oilers look visually better under Nelson whatever the statistics say”.

I just don’t buy much of the PDO explanation.

I’ve looked (and I mean, ACTUALLY crunched the numbers myself, not relied on work published elsewhere) and there is virtually no relationship between PDO and coaching. Basically, the “sticky” effect of coaching on PDO is perhaps a swing of 1%.

So if Nelson miraculously effected that kind of change in just 1 game of coaching, about 20 games shy of actually implementing his system well, he may very well be the best coach that ever walked the earth.

The sh% HAS improved since Nelson took over but until there is a rational explanation (for example, FrJohnK‘s numbers clearly show that the Oilers are NOT more dangerous in their shooting locations since Nelson, if anything they are worse), the correct answer is that its random variation.

Fasth’s numbers were improving before Nelson, Scrivens has been his same mostly crappy and inconsistent self since Nelson.

So most of the PDO change attributed to Nelson actually occurred before he took over.

I believe that Nelson is a better coach than Eakins (you can check my logs and you’ll see that I was OK with giving Eakins a chance this season, but after my usual 20 games, I wanted him gone because results. I think that’s about as objective and fair as it gets).

74. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

It used to be like that (every other year). And of course, the lockout year was conference play only. Still, really wanted a win tonight. Never mind me. Now get off my lawn! he he

75. blainer says:

Pouzar: Lander looked more dynamic tonight than any game I’ve seen on the farm. He is brimming with confidence right now.

Ya I really was down on this player but if he continues to play like that Gordon will get traded. His shot is looking a lot harder and is playing very well defensively. One has to remember who his line mates have been also. Very impressive indeed.

I tweeted after Lander hauled ass on the back check, interecepted the pass then hustled his ass to the ozone with the puck and created pressure.

This was before Lander scored on the PP:

Woodguy @Woodguy55 · 2h 2 hours ago
    Lander is the Oiler’s 2nd best C. Did you see the back check, intercept pass then skate 180 feet with it play? Hockey Player. Awesome.

My forward lines next year:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Lander-Yak
    DrySaddle-Eichel-Horcoff
    Klinkhammer-Gordon-Hendricks

G Money,

If a coach could coach PDO that’s all they’d do because it wins most games.

Pretendergast,

Colin Mcdonald first star, of course.

Its the scouts fault.

79. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

LoDog: I so understand your reservations but I see a team (led by eberle) that beleives the “bill of goods” being sold by their coach. Makes a big difference.

Maybe. Look, I’m happier we are winning 8 and losing 11 under Nelson. That’s so much better than before. But seen so many glimpses from these guys over the years. Watching the team earlier in the year was like watching a sick puppy. You didn’t know if it was going to make it or have to be put down. There’s some life now, but still a long road ahead.

I’ve seen this puppy before, only to have it relapse and then, Old Yeller.

Plus, I really, really wanted them to win to stick it to the Islanders’ homer broadcasters (maybe among the worst in the game) and also get off the 1999 schneid at Nassau Coliseum.

I think the refs screwed the Oilers on that goal, as did the hockey gods with that cruel bounce off Gordon. The Oilers deserved better. Moral victories just mean so much less to me these days.

Now the progress of Lander? I mean, he had a sequence where he shrugged off Hamonic and flat out ragged the puck in Tavares fashion. That, I am happy about. And Eberle looks to have his mojo back. And Klefbom is really playing well. But I want to see this continue for the balance of this season before I really actually let my hopes up.

80. RexLibris says:

G Money: The sh% HAS improved since Nelson took over

Maybe I’ve just been staring at the screen too long.

Or maybe I’ve been watching this team lose for too many seasons.

Perhaps we should have tracked a sh% statistic that stands for something other than shots when referencing some of their games these past four years.

81. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Woodguy:

This was before Lander scored on the PP:

Woodguy @Woodguy55·2h 2 hours ago

My forward lines next year:

Horcoff

I see what you did there.

82. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Woodguy:

Changing it up a bit:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Lander-Yak
    Draisaitl-Soderberg-Zuccarello
    Klinkhammer-Gordon-Hendricks

That’s what I would go for.

83. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    G Money,

If a coach could coach PDO that’s all they’d do because it wins most games.

Don’t forget the other side of the equation: Adam, see if you can get the puck to Hull.

Regarding the PDO climb, we’ve seen the Oilers lose some Corsi ground since Nelson took over, right? They have posted more wins under Nelson thus scoring more. The increase in PDO would seem to be that they are shooting less and scoring more, thus higher sh% and therefore slightly increased PDO if we say that goaltending has more or less stayed the same.

Just a thought.

84. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Woodguy: DrySaddle-Eichel-Horcoff

Think I had to read that three times before I figured out who was on right wing… “Ooh, he’s predicting Eichel – BOLD. And look, Dryguy on left wing – I like that, but wha… who’s on third? Hoffman… no WAIT!”

85. G Money says:

Woodguy: The closest you can come to coaching PDO is being able to say “Hasek, you start tonight”

Ha, hilarious! Or, to coach anti-PDO: “Ben, you’re up.”

86. G Money says:

RexLibris: But when I read “sh%” in reference to this team I didn’t interpret it as shooting %.

Man, you and WG are on comedy fire!

Since the sh% has in fact become more volatile (higher but more volatile) since Nelson, is it reasonable then to say:

This sh% is bananas (bee ay en ay en ay ess)

?

(image suggestion PS to LT: Gwen Stefani!)

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: I see what you did there.

Need someone to hold the kids’ hand.

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL": That’s what I would go for.

Eichel’s pretty good.

89. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy: Eichel’s pretty good.

But is he dreamy?

Klima’s_Bucket: But is he dreamy?

I’d imagine yes.

91. flyfish1168 says:

92. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: I’d imagine yes.

We’ll know if our toes curl when we write his name.

🙂

93. Heinz 57 says:

RexLibris:

I hereby invoke the Suck and Blow Statute of Limitations.

94. Numenius says:

G Money: But the explanation lies somewhere other than “Nelson coached PDO” because it doesn’t happen.

My claim is more that Eakins suppressed PDO than that Nelson coached it, since most coaches coach properly enough to make their contribution to PDO irrelevant when comparing them against each other.

The way Eakins did this was to undermine or at least be poor at motivating player confidence. This was especially the case after goals against and losses. He took these so personally and got so angry about them that it affected the players, making them hesitant and sometimes downright frustrated (or at least it did nothing to quell their frustration, which many got on their own). To his credit, he did realize that the players were losing their composure and playing every man for himself after GA’s and losses. He also tried to correct it (knowing that it was having a significant impact), but he wasn’t able to do it effectively because his own attitude was a huge part of the problem.

Nelson, on the other hand, doesn’t take GA’s and losses personally or get angry, and maintains an even-keel, encouraging, I’m behind you, we-can-get-the-job-done-regardless-of-the-score approach. This gets communicated to the players in various ways, preventing them from getting frustrated, keeping them committed to the system, and keeping them playing confidently for each other even when they’re losing. If you listen to Nelson’s pre-game presser, this is exactly the message he said he was trying to communicate and he thought it was key to bringing them their newfound success (which I take to be winning or at least keeping the game close).

Now if you’re willing to agree that the increased confidence has significantly contributed to the Oilers’ newfound success, the question is whether this is by means of increased PDO. Since the only stat that has significantly changed to account for the success is PDO (Corsi and Fenwick have declined, I haven’t checked shots for and against), that must be it.

If so, then Nelson has contributed to increased PDO in a statistically significant way, but this is only because Eakins’ contribution to bad PDO was so significant. It’s not because Nelson contributes to PDO in statistically significant way compared to other NHL coaches.

Or at least that’s how it still seems to me.

(Edit: I’m more committed to the confidence narrative than the connection to PDO, so if there’s a way of removing PDO from the equation, I’m happy to do so. I just don’t see how.)

95. RexLibris says:

G Money: Man, you and WG are on comedy fire!

This sh% is bananas (bee ay en ay en ay ess)

?

(image suggestion PS to LT: Gwen Stefani!)

I seriously cannot read sh% without my mind translating into sh%! percentage.

“Man, Oilers PDO is terrible. Bad goaltending and a horrible sh% is just sewering the team right now.”

Is there any part of that sentence that doesn’t stand up? I think not!

Anyway, on another note, I wanted to pass along a book that I picked up today. I haven’t cracked it yet, still working on History of the World in Twelve Maps (good read, if anyone is interested). The title is Mathletics – 100 amazing things you didn’t know about the world of sports by John Barrow.

Description from Amazon reads thus: An entertaining, eye-opening guide to what math and physics can reveal about sports.

Thought you might want to take a look in case anything pertains to your current project. I’ve scanned the chapter headings and it looks promising. You’d need to do some heavy skimming if you wanted information relevant to possession metrics (basketball is a good bet to start, I don’t expect much in there about hockey but could be wrong) and there is no index so a fast search isn’t going to happen.

Either way, thought you might be interested.

96. RexLibris says:

Heinz 57: You can’t have people calling for the Oilers to manage themselves professionally and then hang the manager when he then does something which resembles exactly what you asked for.

I hereby invoke the Suck and Blow Statute of Limitations.

I’m not suggesting they negotiate in public. Not at all. Every time they’ve done it bad things have happened.

What I’m saying is that the lack of them doing so in this case would appear to suggest that Petry’s demands are not necessarily sky-high.

We won’t know anything until the dust has settled, but if we can draw a reasonable conclusion that Petry’s camp is pushing more for term than dollar amount, then I think this is a fail for management.

And if it comes out that he wanted seven years at $6 million then I’ll gladly retract my criticism of MacTavish in this instance. I have, until recently, held him in high regard.

But as LT often says, you develop a past and the Oilers appear to be comfortable in repeating their past with Petry as the most recent example.

97. Ryan says:

G Money,

You sir are wrong for once.

There absolutely is a verifiable relationship between PDO and coaching…

Coaches with poor PDO’s get fired, full stop. 🙂

98. Adam Wu says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:

Well, I’m normally pretty much on the optimistic side of things, but it does the club no good if they continue all this for the balance of this season, and then have everyone promptly relapse at the start of next year.

We need to see sustainable improvement, year to year….

99. Adam Wu says:

Ryan:
    G Money,

You sir are wrong for once.

There absolutely is a verifiable relationship between PDO and coaching…

Coaches with poor PDO’s get fired, full stop.

Ah, but coaches with good PDO’s get fired too, just later. (Pretty much all NHL coaches get fired sooner or later. How many coaches are out there now who’ve never been fired?)

So we need a new advanced stat! We have to correlate peak and valley PDO with time-to-firing for the coach….

100. Numenius says:

flyfish1168: Not sure of Anton’s advance stats. By eye he sure is looking pretty good. So many people wanted to give up on him. I’m happy MacT came to his senses for now on this player.

Lander had the highest C+/- 5v5 this game. Impressive.

Lander 6
    Purcell 5
    Gazdic 5 (!) (Lander is a miracle worker)
    Schultz 4
    Pakarinen 4

101. Adam Wu says:

It is entirely possible that even if there IS some relation between Eakins/Nelson/PDO it might not be anything systemic, but simply an issue of the coaching style not fitting with the team, in this particular instance, given these two coaches and this team.

Eakins was pretty clearly a didactic teacher. It seems that most of the Oilers players were not didactic learners. Had Eakins been given a team of didactic learners, he may well have excelled.

102. jzed says:

Next time we play the Juggernaut Islanders, slew foot Hamonic should be introduced to Gazdic’s knuckles.

103. G Money says:

Numenius,

Not sure if you saw the pre- and post-Nelson charts I did, but the best description I have of the sh% is that it looked a little “clinically depressed” in the twenty or so games prior to the change. Maybe “sad”, maybe HSAD (hockey seasonal affective disorder).

(Though everything else PDO-related between the two sounds like nonsense tbh).

104. G Money says:

Ryan,

Adam Wu,

You guys are way ahead of me on this one! I look forward to your future blog on the subject.

Perhaps you could call it “PD Oh no they fired the coach again!”

Since Petry is likely history, it is critical that Nelson saves Marincin in the last 27 games from the incompetents upstairs doubling down on their likely Petry blunder.

107. Halfwise says:

Adam Wu:

Didactic isn”t worth more than a 5th round pick at this point in his career, no matter how well he’s played in the KHL. Who has his NHL rights?

😉

Numenius: History of the World in Twelve Maps

Lander isn’t dreamy, but rugged.

He looks like if he were hiking and got his arm pinned under a boulder he’d cut it off with a jackknife, cauterize the wound and get back to the hike.

109. regwald says:

Woodguy: Lander isn’t dreamy, but rugged.

So are you saying we need to give him #21, take away his razor and start calling him Stan ?

110. Justthestatsman says:

Woodguy,

Woodguy: Lander isn’t dreamy, but rugged.

Anton Lander is really Stan Weir?

111. slopitch says:

I’d like to know Babcock DNS hitchcocks career PDO. Hitchcocks goalies in particular always have a high save %. Still a lot of luck in play regardless.

112. Numenius says:

G Money: I find it easier to buy the idea that Eakins may have somewhat suppressed sh% than anything else.

Yeah, that does make more sense than sv%.

G Money: Not sure how you would or could actually “coach” that. A lousy roster would be a more logical starting point. Confidence from coaching is as good an ancillary explanation as any.

A lousy roster certainly would be a good place to look first. The problem with that explanation in this case to me is that the roster change didn’t seem to be different enough to be significant. Nelson got Klinkhammer and Roy instead of Drai, but lost Perron. Plus, Nelson has recently been going without Hall and Pouliot, which admittedly seems to have negatively affected the Pitt and TO games, but not so much the NJ and NYI games, contrary to what one would expect. And that’s not to mention all the same players who seem to be playing much better under Nelson (e.g. Lander, Yak, Schultz).

Which is why I turn to confidence from coaching as at least a partial factor.

113. G Money says:

Ken Hitchcocks average PDO in the previous three years in STL: 100.6

Joel Quenneville’s average PDO in the previous three years in CHI: 100.6

Mike Babcocks average PDO in the previous three years in DET: 99.9

Duane Sutters average PDO in the previous three years in LA: 99.8

The Edmonton Oilers in the previous three years: 100.2

114. Doc Savage says:

Lowetide: Lander’s improvement, combined with Klefbom’s emergence, are simply wonderful results. It didn’t happen in time to save the scouts (likely) but it’s good to see the Oilers didn’t send the talent away before it turned the corner.

115. Hammers says:

Is it still coming down to wins & losses for Nelson’s detractors . Maybe I’m wrong but it seems most agree Lander Has improved but I’m seeing improvement in Schultz & Klefbom and if they keep improving they will be an offensive pair next year. If Yak & Marincin can see that same jump in performance the rest of this year Nelson proves himself , at least to me . Am I the only one who thinks this may have been Gazdics best game .

116. Bling says:

Doc Savage: Though they did put Lander on waivers at the beginning of the year for anyone to take for nothing and kept Will Acton on the roster.

It’s hard to make as many bad decisions as MacT and still have a shred of hubris, but I’ll be damned if he isn’t as proud as he’s ever been.

MacTavish might be the most dangerous man in hockey, in that a) he has no idea what he’s doing, b) he really doesn’t care what anyone thinks and c) he’s best friends with the owner.

The best part is, when the Oilers turn north, this clown will take credit.

Bling: I think we all need to give MacTavish credit (or something) for being really dumb and really stubborn on certain players despite good evidence to the contrary (Lander’s AHL play, Marincin’s underlying numbers).

The best part is, when the Oilers turn north, this clown will take credit.

I think MacTavish has had a poor season, many bets good and bad have gone sideways. That said, your post is wildly over the top and I can’t agree with it.

118. SwedishPoster says:

It would have looked really bad on MacT if Lander was picked up on waivers at the start of the year. Really bad. On the other hand it seems like Anton did benefit from the extra AHL time, or maybe just being away from Eakins, so you could maybe sat it was a great move to keep Acton over Lander.

He did look great tonight and had a moment in the third where he almost looked like Peter Forsberg protecting the puck looking for options, not trying to compare them at all, just a short sequence of forsbergesque puck carrying which was impressive.

Very entertaining game tonight and that third period, outside of not scoring a couple, was mighty impressive.

Nelson is like the AHL whisperer getting decent to great play out of Pak, Ryan Hamilton, Lander, Klef, I bet once Bachman draws in he’ll give us a clean sheet. If they call up Hunt he probably turns into PK Subban.

Even Gazdic has looked useful.

Eberle looks the best he has in years. Yak had a good one. Schultz looks improved.

I don’t really see how this loss is being put on Fasth by some, the first one was a rebound off a shot from 4 feet away that he puts in a good spot but no Oiler is there to clear since Fayne is caught alone with two players and can’t get close enough to any one of them, I’d argue that one is mainly on Derek Roy being out of position and also having the puck go straight through him on the first pass, the second touches two players on the way into the net and the third finds the top corner on a quick shot from the slot, I’d argue that one is mainly on Marty not getting close enough to the shooter but instead working as a screen but its a tough one for MM as well since the play develops so fast, actually its mainly on the refs non call at the other end of the ice.
    Sure you want the goalie to come up big from time to time but he did have a few key saves, didn’t make any big mistakes and had some small defensive breakdowns and tips working against him. Imo that’s a pretty good game, not a great game but good enough to not have the loss on your conscience.

119. Bruce McCurdy says:

The best part is, when the Oilers turn north, this clown will take credit.

You’re expecting:

“OILERS TURN NORTH; GM BLAMES SELF”

???

120. SwedishPoster says:

It’s a shame we don’t play Islanders more often btw because there is some fire in these games.

121. Zelepukin says:

If we can lose the rest of our games like this one, I’ll be happy. Valiant effort, individual improvement in players who desperately need it (Ebs, Yaks) , confidence bulidling among the AHLers (Lander, Marincin) and actual PP success.

122. match eddy says:

On Eberle: I agree he is looking steller. I wonder if it has anything to do with him being the reigning 1 V 1 champ on TSN. I know he’s mentioned sportscenter in interviews before. Either way it has got to do wonders for the confidence

123. PhrankLee says:

If all that is accomplished this year is a fixed Lander and an emergent K-Bomber I will call it even.

Fayne is not the guy I hoped him to be.

Victor played very well and finished the night over .900

That alone is reason to be happy while ELPH is the keyword.

124. G Money says:

RexLibris: Mathletics – 100 amazing things you didn’t know about the world of sports by John Barrow.

Thanks! Have Amazon Prime’d it (though it will sit a few books down in the pile when it gets here).

125. G Money says:

PhrankLee: To be as realistic as possible it was a good game by the Oilers and a poor game by the Isles.

It was the third game in four nights and second of a btb for the Oilers on the road, and they were without their best player and their 2LW, and have been playing meaningless games since November. The Isles meanwhile were at home, sort of rested (it too was a third game in four nights, but they had the previous night off), sit second in the league in the Corsi tables, and are in the thick of a playoff positioning hunt at first in the Metropolitan division.

Poor game or not, this should have been a blowout for the Isles, especially after the Bed Shit in the Big Smoke and the Mickey Mouse Bowl NJ games.

Instead, I thought the Oilers not only didn’t get outclassed, they were actually the better team most of the night, and the edge in the game went to the referees.

I’m not going to read anything into this game as to what it means for the Oilers in the big picture, but I’ll give credit where credit is due.

126. PhrankLee says:

G Money: but I’ll give credit where credit is due.

As have I.

127. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

G Money: It was the third game in four nights and second of a btb for the Oilers on the road, and they were without their best player and their 2LW, and have been playing meaningless games since November.The Isles meanwhile were at home, sort of rested (it too was a third game in four nights, but they had the previous night off), sit second in the league in the Corsi tables, and are in the thick of a playoff positioning hunt at first in the Metropolitan division.

Would you believe the Isles’ broadcast team was whining about the refs blowing all the calls against the Islanders last night? They thought Hendricks should have gotten the extra penalty for “hitting Tavares from behind.” And then when they looked at it again, they were like, “cross checking.” and then a third look and it was, well Bailey didn’t even get a punch in or drop his gloves (not true), Hendricks should have gotten the extra two. And went on and on.

I’m still seething at that non-call on the Oilers’ chance that went the other way for a goal against. I wanted the Isles’ broadcasters to have to whine some more. I wanted the Oilers to shut them up and to win one last time in Uniondale.

I’m still mad this morning. Oilers should have won. Alas, they had so many chances in the 3rd to go ahead and they didn’t. A for effort, C for finish/execution.

I guess it says something that I considered them as having deserved to win and still being ticked off about a loss.

128. russ99 says:

You can really only blame MacT for a few things:

The Krueger – Eakins decisions, and letting his ideals on how we should play and player deployment decisions get in the way of the coaching staff. Which seems to be rectified with Nelson. (seems)

Holding on to players too long, then being soft in RFA negotiations, which go hand in hand. He seems to have some favorites, and that gets in the way of what a GM needs to do.

Using stopgap pieces (russian defensemen last summer and CHL/AHL centers this summer) after the big FA signings instead of picking up cheap veterans shortly before camp to fill need positions.

What you can’t blame him for:

Eakins’ ego and obstinance getting in the way of young player development.

Signing certain iffy free agents due to pro scouting input or Howson’s input. He can only work with the info he’s given.

Having to give more in FA contracts than we’d like, (for example Ference’s NTC) because Edmonton.

I also don’t buy the hubris comments entirely. Certainly there seems to be more than should be in MacT’s case, at least publicly, but you need a certain gravitas to do that job.

129. PhrankLee says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

G Money,

I thought on the series before the non call the Oilers were looking very flummoxed at having retained pressure for longer than I have seen all year.

Like they were confused at having the puck for so long in the Isles end!

130. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

russ99,

Respectfully, I disagree. A lot more falls at his feet, in my opinion. However, I am not saying he should be gone; he should instead learn as quickly as possible and address these matters in the most prudent, ruthless, efficient way possible.

131. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

PhrankLee:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

G Money,

Like they were confused at having the puck for so long in the Isles end!

This is likely true. They were cycling so well as a team (we’ve seen the 1 line do it in the past) that they seemed to not know how to turn that into finish at the net.

132. G Money says:

PhrankLee:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

G Money,

Like they were confused at having the puck for so long in the Isles end!

Funny but true, and sad…

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: I’m still seething at that non-call on the Oilers’ chance that went the other way for a goal against.

I watched the replay in slow mo three times to be sure. There wasn’t one blown call, there were two.

First, on Gordon was a trip (Macdonald I think wrapped around his legs from behind with the stick). Not sure if Macdonald touched the puck, but it’s not supposed to matter anymore, the league has changed the rules so that its a trip no matter what.

The second was Visnovsky on I think Klinkhammer. Vis basically stuck his knee between Klink’s legs from behind, wrapped his arm around, and pulled him down. Georges St. Pierre would have been proud.

And of course, with two Oilers knocked down illegally, and trying to catch up from behind the play, the Isles promptly went up the ice and scored.

« Older Comments