OILERS AT CANADIENS, G56 2014-15

Tracking Oilers prospects moved from ‘sundial’ to ‘light speed’ under Todd Nelson, with Anton Lander, Oscar Klefbom, Justin Schultz and even Nail Yakupov making inroads. Martin Marincin (in photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved) isn’t the sexiest of the new hires but the rangy bugger has some nice things. These are important games, ladies, and it’s best shown in what could be next season if these kids turn a corner.

POSSIBLE 2014-15 DEPTH CHART (OILERS)

1. Starting goalie
  18. L Matt Hendricks
  19. L Luke Gazdic
  20. R Jordan Eberle
  21. R Nail Yakupov
  22. R Teddy Purcell
  23. R Rob Klinkhammer

If Todd Nelson can save these six men, he’ll have done a tremendous amount to improve the quality and depth of the roster. Sure, there’s plenty of work to do and we have no idea what summer will bring, but extra help up the middle would be a grand addition. I’m almost sorry Leon couldn’t be here for the rising.

HABS AND CONSISTENCY

I’ve been thinking about MacT’s comments the other day, about adding a few choice pieces as opposed to grabbing a dozen Friday night and waking up the next day to mixed results. The best team from my youth to look at in terms of roster makeup and consistency? The damn Habs. Here is the Montreal roster from February 26, 1971 (and the other NHL teams, too).

1971 rosters

This was just a little while before Montreal recalled Ken Dryden, who would break my heart and rob Bobby Orr of the chance to win three Stanley’s in a row. Guys like Jean Beliveau, Henri Richard, John Ferguson were old as the hills and twice as dusty. Yvan Cournoyer, Jacques Lemaire, Claude LaRose, JC Tremblay, Jacques Laperriere, Serge Savard,  Terry Harper and Rogie Vachon had been around for either a time or a growing to be a long time. The youth was top drawer. Phil Myre, Guy Lapointe, Pierre Bouchard, Bobby Sheehan, Marc Tardif and Rejean Houle were newer hires, and the Mahovlich boys had been acquired from Detroit in separate deals. Montreal had the best players but they also had a great deal of consistency. They would win the Stanley but encountered many problems through that spring:

• John Ferguson was done. His ass was saved by his linemate, the ever so young and brilliant two-way forward Rejean Houle.
  • The goaltending lacked consistency and would only be saved by giant Ken Dryden.
  • The coach, Al MacNeil, would demote veteran Henri Richard during the playoffs, leading to what we might, conservatively, call war. Richard called MacNeil the worst coach he ever played for, and MacNeil coached game 6 of the finals at the Forum with a police guard. Seriously.

It all came together and a lot of that was due to consistency. Jacques Lemaire and Yvan Cournoyer, then Tremblay and Lapointe, they were so deep and familiar. Montreal rolled their lines and had guys like Leon Rochefort for the PK and the damnable Habs won the day. The jobs being won now for Edmonton could be owned for five years or more. Consistency. The Oilers haven’t had it in for absolutely ever. The Oilers have to be smart about guys like Marincin, if they earn the opportunity then reward them. I’ll stop here to say the following: not a chance in hell Sam Pollock trades Jeff Petry in this situation. Zero.

DREGER ON THE OILERS

The Oilers playing in the east means media is asking questions and in our country Darren Dreger is the one who usually answers. The latest is here and I want to quote this passage:

• Dreger: “Edmonton could stand pat here, too. Remarkably, they could. Their top priority is goaltending still and a defenseman. I’ve asked about the availability of Boyd Gordon or, say Matt Hendricks – depth guys. They seem to be what’s drawing the most interest these days. The feedback I’m getting from Edmonton is unlikely those players get moved. That sounds to me like unless somebody comes offering a top d-man or offering a good quality goaltender, MacTavish is going to do most of his shopping in the off-season.” Source

I’m fine with that, sign Petry and stand pat. That would be a helluva deadline.

ESTIMATED TRADE VALUES (DEADLINE EDITION)

• Boyd Gordon: I think he could fetch a pick inside the Top 50 overall—and that’s in a deep draft. Gordon can help in multiple areas, he’d have significant value.
  • Jeff Petry: A late second or third-round pick. Petry is a younger blue but the team trading for him has no guarantee he’ll sign. Strictly as a rental, I think the pick lands somewhere between No. 55 and No. 80.
  • Viktor Fasth: A fourth-round pick. I think he’s played well enough to not only increase value but improve his odds of being dealt.
  • Matt Hendricks: A fourth-round pick. Hendricks has more value (imo) to Edmonton than he would if cashed but I wanted to mention it because Elliotte Friedman suggested there would be some interest (while he also said it was unlikely the Oilers would let him go).
  • Derek Roy: A fourth-round pick.  There’s a chance Edmonton will sign him but if they do make a trade I suspect the pick will land around No. 116.

pakarinen ferguson 14-15two

IIRO THE HERO

I really like this player. A Finn (!!!!!) he has skill, plays a rugged game and fits the MacT prospect description perfectly (late pick, little pedigree, a lot of try). In 9 NHL games this season, Pakarinen has a goal and an assist. There will be others who audition for the job this spring but Pakarinen appears to be edging ahead of Matt Fraser on the `guys we might have in our future plans`list and that’s a good thing. I’m cheering like hell for him. A nice player.

YAK CITY

Today we’ll have to endure talk from Habs fans about Nail Yakupov being a disappointment, while also being insulted by trade offers. Look, Yakupov is NOT the best player in the 2012 draft, Galchenyuk is and by a wide margin. I’m happy for the young man, he had a tough draft year but landed in a very good spot. Here’s hoping Galchenyuk has a decade of success in Montreal and follows that with another decade in the city of his choosing.

Nail Yakupov isn’t yesterday’s papers, let’s allow him to find his own story. In life, it isn’t what happens to you, it’s what you do about it. If you bet against Nail Yakupov, I’m going to suggest that bet will not pay off. It’s good to know the Oilers value their young Russian more than the Habs fanbase, who today will offer 3’s and 4’s for a future King. In the nicest possible way, I’d like to suggest to Habs fans that reading a little of their own history may reveal a story or two about slow-developing top picks. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

deneuve1

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, we hit the ground running on TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Dennis King, Oilogosphere Icon. I’ll be happy if he just says Montreal.
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. I’m going to play an interview from Guy and Dean Mallard from Joey Laleggia. Must listen!
  • Andrew Berkshire, Habs Eyes on the Prize. Smart guy, great insight.
  • Brian King, NonStopSportsPicks. Eskimos in free agency, some good and some bad but Brian is a straight shooter.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Talk soon!

497 Responses to "OILERS AT CANADIENS, G56 2014-15"

« Older Comments

wheatnoil: The question is how well has his AHL dreaminess translated to his NHL dreaminess? Is this the expected dreaminess or should we be expecting more or less. His NHL-Dream-E, if you will.

This is the correct line of questioning.

2. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

stephen sheps:
    Snowman,

Thanks… I’ve been hanging around for years (since 2008 I think), but it seems there’s less to say about the team – and the reality is most of you say what I’m thinking better than I can most of the time. It’s why I’ve stuck around.

I have to say, the investment advice thread was top tier. Right up there with some of the great whiskey debates of years past as well as the legendary steak recipe thread.

(That said, G Money et. al., any investment advice for someone just out of a PhD program, buried with student debt and working as a mercenary/contract professor?)

My sister is in a similar boat and because she doesn’t like bothering me with this stuff, she gave her money, including line of credit for her law program, to a financial advisor to manage for her. She told him she wanted conservative returns, maybe 5%, low risk profile. The idiot puts 80% of it in equities, 2/3 of which were in energy stocks, in October. I find out about it in January.

Whatever you do, DON’T just hand it over to a so-called “professional” without really finding out what they know and leave it to them to manage.

Take your time, start slow, if you’ve been reading the past couple of weeks, there are some nice points about different ETFs, equity funds and bond funds you can look at to achieve diversification and set up a fairly conservative, long-term investment portfolio. Take your time and arm yourself with knowledge as best you can (I’m sure you are swamped). I’m always around to answer specific questions, although I’m not going to tell you what to invest in or not invest in. But I can ask the question for you, “Are you sure you want to do that.”

Just DM me @GmanBackpacker
    I suck at the hockey math and you guys hand hold me through all of it and make me feel welcome so I’m happy to reciprocate where I can.

That goes for everyone.

3. stephen sheps says:

I’m sure it’s already come up, and of course beyond thanking him for his exceptional coverage of OKC hockey, I legitimately wonder if he’ll keep covering the team from a distance? How many of our best bloggers (Tyler, Pat) don’t live in Edmonton? Hopefully Neal finds a way to stay connected.

Ice Sage:
    These guys are developing resilience with Nelson’s Quennevillesque approach (tightening / loosening the reigns according to game situation, full-ice support, rewarding the hot hands, not panicking but showing passion, practicing with purpose).

I’m beginning to think the unthinkable – that this team is pretty good without #4.What would a straight-up trade of Hall for a young #1-2 D (e.g.. OEL, Trouba, Lindholm) deliver in terms of balance?

No, the correct question is:

5. Pouzar says:

FYI Neal Livingston will join me tomorrow on the Lowdown. If you have questions (aside from ‘is Klefbom dreamy?’) please fire away.

1. How dreamy is Yakimov?
    2. We trade Ference at the deadline, who gets his vote for next call up?
    3. Does he see any systemic differences between Nelson and Fleming (ES, PP, PK)?
    4. Is Brossoit the real deal?
    5. Most underrated Baron?

6. Ice Sage says:

stephen sheps:
    flyfish1168,

That’s why I bought a Yak jersey, too. I love watching the kid play. His reaction to the goal, that big Yak smile, makes everything better. It’s great to see him coming back to life.

The whole team was psyched to win and almost dogpiled Lander and co. That’s so encouraging

7. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Ice Sage:

There’s only one of those guys I’d even consider trading Hall for. If we had wanted Trouba or Lindholm, we should have traded down from #1 to take them in 2012.

That said, I think there is zero chance Arizona trades OEL straight up for Hall (they’ll ask for Nuge, we’ll say no). We had that discussion and it probably means our 2015 first + something. We can’t do that unless we know it is #3 or worse.

I’d aim a little lower but someone’s going to shake loose from the cap hell contenders.

8. striatic says:

Woodguy: “How good can this team be with Hall and Pouliot in the line up, a 1LD to help Petry and a real NHL goalie?”

9. stephen sheps says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Thank you. Seriously. That offer alone makes me feel slightly less terrified. When I’m a little less buried, I will indeed PM you about that…
    Did I read that you’re in Toronto now as well?

There was a time when Toronto-based Oilers bloggers and commenters hung out in real life. I wish that would happen more often.

10. stephen sheps says:

Pouzar: 1. How dreamy is Yakimov?
    2. We trade Ference at the deadline, who gets his vote for next call up?
    4. Is Brossoit the real deal?
    5. Most underrated Baron?

This. All of this.

11. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

stephen sheps:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Did I read that you’re in Toronto now as well?

12. stephen sheps says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: I have about two weeks left in Toronto. And then I hit the road for a while. Back to NYC briefly, then off to the desert in Santa Fe.

Nice. Very nice. Enjoy

13. unca miltie says:

My computer skills are such that I cannot copy it, but Julie Petry send out a happy tweet after the game…. maybe there is hope

14. flyfish1168 says:

Looks like the king’s is taking the phlegms seriously tonight

15. Ice Sage says:

Woodguy,

That’s a 4 part question, WG!
    How they gonna get those (shiny) things?

I’m just seeing a lot of players step up offensively and collaboratively with Hall out, could be a coincidence?

16. voxwah says:

Lander is going to be captain of this team. Book it!

17. frjohnk says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: I have two different sources with Schultz at 27:58 leading the team, Klef at 26:25 second. Where are you getting your TOI from?

That said, Klef was awesome.

War on ice.

It included OT.

Edit: I may have marked it down wrong. I’m on my phone now

18. Магия 10 says:

He who can not be stopped is if I’m counting correctly 9-9-2. Would be nice to see them stop testing the Bettman .500 loser psychological barrier and break through true .500.

19. Dead Oiler walking says:

During the pre-game show there was a long shot of a pretty blond in a Habs Jersey and a young man in an oilers jersey. Discussion by the commentators about who would be happy at the end of the evening.

Was this our intrepid fiancé to be?

striatic: I think the implication of Ice Sage is that you don’t get a true 1LD without moving Hall.

With Klefbom, Nurse and Marincin its foolish to give up major assets for a 1LD.

Short term (2 years) would be fine for a “reasonable” one like Couburn, but doing more might not be the right play.

I know I’m going on an on about Klef, but he’s 21 doing some amazing things for 27 minutes a night.

He’s being shelted a bit (less so on the road, and you can’t hide for 30 minutes) but he’s the goods.

Nurse might be better.

Marincin looks to be a solid NHLer.

To sell Hall for anyone less than OEL, Subban, or Hedman isn’t a win.

Hall was 6th in the NHL in pts/gm as a 21 year old and 8th as a 22 year old.

That’s really freaking awesome and really freaking rare.

21. Pouzar says:

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 1h1 hour ago
    #Oilers TOI for defencemen:
    RD Schultz 27:58
    LD Klefbom 26:25
    LD Marincin 17:55
    RD Petry 17:17
    RD Fayne 15:34
    LD Ference 13:54

Well……………I’m……………………………………………well………………………………………………………..

Ice Sage:
    Woodguy,

That’s a 4 part question, WG!
    How they gonna get those (shiny) things?

Its great seeing everyone step up.

They’ll be great support when Hall’s back and healthy.

They might score over 3 goals a game with the run support.

23. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

frjohnk,

That’s odd. Since the ESPN and NHL.com numbers are higher than yours, therefore they should include OT.

Edit- I see your edit now.

24. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: With Klefbom, Nurse and Marincin its foolish to give up major assets for a 1LD.

Nurse might be better.

Marincin looks to be a solid NHLer.

To sell Hall for anyone less than OEL, Subban, or Hedman isn’t a win.

Hall was 6th in the NHL in pts/gm as a 21 year old and 8th as a 22 year old.

That’s really freaking awesome and really freaking rare.

This.

And if I may…………..even more silly to give up major assets for a goalie.

25. striatic says:

Pouzar: LD Ference 13:54

Fancy that.

Klefbom seems to mitigate a lot of the Schultz chaos.

26. Pouzar says:

So 3 game pt scoring streaks for Yak and Ebs?

Trade value!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Ice Sage says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Thx NYCO – I missed those armchair GM chats!
    Hall has some cachet and marketability around the league, methinks, and could garner a #1 D, perhaps with some sweetener added (but not our top pick this year). I suspect you are right in that, for flailing teams like Arizona, they would be wise to wait and see how the lottery shakes out before dealing.

This could be Nuge’s team next year. And I’m pretty OK with that.

28. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy,

I would love to see Hall off the 1st line. By eye I think RNH and Eberle’s game is different without Hall there to push the pace. I would love to see Hall with Yak on one line.

WG what does the stats show with Hall and Yak together? Probably only a small sample available
    We can then have potentially two scoring lines.

Question: Does this Oilers team catch Toronto? Not out of the question.

30. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

striatic: Fancy that.

Klefbom seems to mitigate a lot of the Schultz chaos.

31. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Question: Does this Oilers team catch Toronto? Not out of the question.

32. Pouzar says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Ference was so god awful tonight, I think Nelson is beginning to catch on. Two absolutely horrendous pinches that were completely uncalled for.

MacT: Don’t make me choose!

33. striatic says:

Pinches, yes, but also whenever he gets the puck in a dangerous area he will immediately throw the puck into a less dangerous area. Good, right? No, because he’s been tossing it into the next most dangerous area other than the one he’s currently got the puck in.

Sure, there is no immediate scoring chance that results and sometimes even no immediate turnover, but 8 seconds later we’re back where we started. Seemingly accomplishes nothing.

34. Ice Sage says:

Woodguy,

I think you’re helping me make my point – the team wasn’t good when the other players functioned as Hall’s ‘support’… running the offence thru him, as tempting as it is because he looks so river-pushing awesome out there, just makes it easy to shut down, hamper and frustrate those Oilers. A bit like the earlier version when it ran thru Hemsky.

Latterly, the team is more balanced, supportive and careful with the puck (by eye, stats pending ;-)). Team dynamics are precarious matters. I trust that Nelson has a plan for Hall’s eventual re-integration, perhaps with a page from Lindy Ruff’s book? A healthy, disciplined, team-first Taylor Hall is a key to playoffs 2016.

35. Pouzar says:

striatic: He’s been really really bad for the past few. Like, normally he looks like a passable [mid or bottom pairing] NHL defence man but the past few games he’s been making incredibly dumb mental mistakes. Looks like a rookie or AHL call up.

36. Магия 10 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: I think that depends on whether the Leafs execute this full on tank or not. I don’t think it’s out of the question, either. If they keep Phaneuf out a lot longer and trade Kessel, Bozak, JVR, Franson, Lupul, Gardiner, I think the Leafs are fully into Eichel/Hanifin/Strome/Marner range.

As satisfying as reality mugging the flames will be fun watching the Centre of the Universe trying to embrace a Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebuild would be even richer.

37. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

2015 records for the bottom ten teams

Philly: 9-6-2
    Ottawa: 6-8-3
    Jersey: 8-5-2
    Toronto: 2-15-1*******
    Columbus: 7-10
    Carolina: 9-5-2
    Buffalo: 2-15*********
    Colorado: 8-7-3
    Arizona: 6-9-3
    Edmonton: 8-9-1

Everyone else is hovering around .500 or close. Toronto and Buffalo have easily been the two worst teams by far in 2015.

38. book¡je says:

Question: Does this Oilers team catch Toronto? Not out of the question.

Uh, what do you mean, I currently see the Oilers 4 teams ahead of Toronto with just Buffalo ahead of them. Or did you mean Toronto could catch the Oilers?

39. Pouzar says:

Klef-Schultz +10 Corsi

book¡je: Uh, what do you mean, I currently see the Oilers 4 teams ahead of Toronto with just Buffalo ahead of them.Or did you mean Toronto could catch the Oilers?

41. striatic says:

Toronto will not finish in the bottom 5.

Edmonton will finish 2nd to last or 3rd to last.

42. Pretendergast says:

I want to know how he feels about Jujhar and Moroz. Neal knows a thing or two about the echl no? I

want to know his opinion on the comparison between Winquist and how he’s come in and had somewhat

more success and if those two would have been better served down there for a while. Now make that

into a question:)

43. Halfwise says:

Pouzar:
    Klef-Schultz +10 Corsi

I did not believe MacT when he shared his opinion of this pairing.

But maybe he isn’t completely, certifiably, bubble-far-from center crazy.

44. Snowman says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    2015 records for the bottom ten teams

Philly: 9-6-2
    Ottawa: 6-8-3
    Jersey: 8-5-2
    Toronto: 2-15-1*******
    Columbus: 7-10
    Carolina: 9-5-2
    Buffalo: 2-15*********
    Colorado: 8-7-3
    Arizona: 6-9-3
    Edmonton: 8-9-1

I’m considering anything top 4 in this draft a win we probably shouldn’t get without the help of our hapless management. I looked earlier today and I don’t see us finishing higher than 28th..

In addition, people are forgetting MacT is not resigning Petry. It not happening. The defence we saw today is here for 2 and a half more weeks. Its a mirage. Once Petry is gone this whole party turns back into pumpkins.

I also don’t see Toronto being able to unload all those guys by the draft. I think the stink but not as bad as the worst. I’ll say they draft 1 behind us. That’s just too many deals to make and I don’t think they’ve got their minds made up on a lot of the young guys they’ve got. I think they’ve really just decided on Phaneuf and Cookie Monster Kessel. Plus Goaltenders. They’ve got goalers. We’ve only got Goalers about 33% of the time. In addition, western conference, tougher schedule and no Hall.

45. Unicorns says:

Pouzar: His margin for error is very small. No reach, not fast or quick, not particularly adept with the puck, and not physically imposing…….but he can be inadequate all night.

Ference is too small to be taken seriously even if he’s plucky given no offense and he only fights. If he had done dirty deeds in the past maybe they’d be afraid of him now but I don’t think he’s taken as much of a threat for anything.

46. Klima's_Bucket says:

Pouzar: Vladdy Lenin….Dead Ringer!

Lander is the Swedish equivalent of Lenin.
    They have the same root word.

47. Pretendergast says:

Dead Oiler walking,

In all this winning I almost forgot! Hopefully we get a tell in the next couple days, exciting stuff on this blog.

48. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Where’s Zatch? How did it go?

Edit-PRETENDERGAST and Deadman on the case as well.

49. Tire Fire says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Edit-PRETENDERGAST and Deadman on the case as well.

Yeah, c’mon Zatch, we’re on pins ‘n’ needles over here.

50. Hammers says:

Those wanting rid of Hall = JVR & Gardiner ??? Not me BUT .

51. wheatnoil says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Where’s Zatch? How did it go?

52. Hammers says:

LT are you still doing your full analysis of Nelson after his 20th game ?? Hope so as I would like your total breakdown especially as related to stats , by eye and the return he gets on his players .

Hammers:
    LT are you still doing your full analysis of Nelson after his 20th game?? Hope so as I would like your total breakdown especially as related to stats ,by eye and the return he gets on his players .

54. 719 says:

Lowetide: I will but it won’t be tomorrow. I have a crazy 36 hours but will probably have something up Sunday or Monday.

Looking forward to that and the weekend update!

Great game by our boys. Klefbom can’t be stopped! Yakupov looking like he did in his rookie year. Ebs and RNH all performing great.

Woodguy’s steak and hot dog comment was amazing. I still hold out hope that Petry is signed.

Thanks to all the contributors with the financial stuff.

55. Doc Savage says:

What I can’t get over is not only how good Lander has looked (which is such an improvement its hard to believe it’s the same player) but how much better by eye Eberle has looked. I don’t recall him moving anything like he is now. Is this another one to chalk up to change in coaching, healed injuries, stepping up with Hall out, or what else?

56. dangilitis says:

I know I am preaching to the choir, but I have felt all along that a better developed Lander, Yakupov, Marincin, Schultz, and Klefbom + a rejuvenated Eberle and RNH is well worth the downgrade from Eichel (which would be more likely scenario even if they finished dead last) to Strome/Marner/Hanifin, etc. Kudos to Todd, I know it’s early but he also had 4.5 /4.5 great coaching results in OKC (compared to 2/4 for Eakins) and you got to believe this team is more improved because of him than because of the addition of Roy and Klinkhammer, especially since they have lost Hall, Pouliot, and Perron in the process.

57. dangilitis says:

Also, Flames were being outshot 40-11 before score got out of hand, that’s fucking ridiculous. If the hockey gods were fair, then Flames will finish 9-10 behind Minnesota and LA on top of Winnipeg and SJ if they can hold it together.

On a side note, Montreal’s play was kind of like a junior team, was it not?
    My biannual reminder that Eller had 38 pts and was a +13 in his 55 regular season games preceding the gift basket to Eakins, having been touted early on that season as the real deal #2C. He since has 34 pts and a -26 in the past 117 games. He may have been right, but tactless comments from unproven players deserve this kind of karma.

58. Dark Asia says:

You don’t need advanced stats to understand that this team hated Eakins from the word go for his unearned arrogance and how he slid into the job after a coach the team liked was knifed in the back. Kruger had plenty of faults but the team liked and believed in him. Nobody believed in Eakins – and you could hear the sigh of relief when he got axed from a continent away. The damn fool and the GM who hired him nearly wrecked a #1 pick and multiple other assets. Nelson is another imperfect guy but the guys appear to respect him and are playing for him which is a positive. NOBODY respected Eakins, NOBODY over-achieved for Eakins, and NOBODY liked Eakins except MacT.

I also think that while Hall is a dynamic player – the team seems more stable without him – and RNH in particular comes out of his shadow. A trade is tough but if an elite dman comes back then you do it. Hall for Weber – odds and ends to make it work – likely too “bold”.

….and about a goalie – too bad we don’t have a guy like the current #4 in league SP. Way to go MacT.

59. 719 says:

My number one target for a goalie is Craig Anderson from Ottawa

Second is Cam Ward (if we can trade a nikitin or purcell in the process)

Third is Niemi.

I don’t think trading Hall is a good idea. Who do we have that can replace him?? We got some prospects at center (Draisatl, Yakimov) and defense (Nurse), but absolutely no one who can fill Hall’s shoes.

60. GCW_69 says:

Pouzar: What makes him a sure thing?

There is no sure thing, but he has rocked every level in every league he has played in. He was a starter in the KHL at 19 and had a. 923 save percentage. It took him a couple of weeks to get used to the AHL but quickly got up to a. 919 save percentage there and now sports a. 932 with the lightning. His world juniors save percentage is unreal.

Find me one other young goalie with his track record by age 20.

61. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Dark Asia,

I’m pretty sure Ference.loved Eakins.

62. GCW_69 says:

Hammers: Those wanting rid of Hall = JVR & Gardiner ??? Not me BUT .

If it was JVR and Reilly you would have to think about it.

63. GCW_69 says:

striatic,

If Petry goes, the need will be for a 1RD.

64. cahill says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Retain $1M, trade him to Nashville for a 3rd or 4th. A team like Nashville or Florida could use him as a veteran cup-winning 6/7 for the playoffs or playoff run in the case of Florida, then deal with his $2.25M actual salary and $3.25M cap hit happily (one of those rare teams that want salaries lower than their cap hits).

Now this is a good deal. My deadline scenario would be;
    1. Sign Petry.
    2. Trade Ference & Fasth (hopefully for 3rds)
    3. Don’t trade Gordon, Hendricks or Roy.

There might be some people saying that now is the time to trade Hendricks. Players like him seemingly always have value. For point of reference, teams are interested in Chris Neil (35) @ 1.9 million who provides the same elements. If Hendricks is worth a 4th now he’s going to be worth a 4th next year.

Edit: Other teams I think would be interested in Ference – Bruins, Kings, Ducks, Wild & Stars. I think the Stars are a real possibility.

65. Pouzar says:

Anyone have any QofC for the D-Pairings last night?

66. wheatnoil says:

cahill:
    Edit:Other teams I think would be interested in Ference – Bruins, Kings, Ducks, Wild & Stars.I think the Stars are a real possibility.

I’m not sure moving Ference is a realistic possibility at this point. The problem is that there’s two years left on his contract. If he was a UFA this summer or even if there was only one year left, there might be a chance. However, teams don’t tend to take on long-term contracts at the deadline. So, even in a cap hit retained scenario, I think it would be pretty tough to find a buyer unless there was an equal amount of bad money / long contract coming back the other way.

(This is to say nothing of his ‘NMC’, which he could likely be convinced to waive.)

67. Auston Matthews '16 says:

wheatnoil: I think the fact that he’s not on this blog yet is evidence it is going quite well.

Well, could be the other way too…

68. Pouzar says:

GCW_69: There is no sure thing,but he has rocked every level in every league he has played in. He was a starter in the KHL at 19 and had a. 923 save percentage. It took him a couple of weeks to get used to the AHL but quickly got up to a. 919 save percentage there and now sports a. 932 with the lightning. His world juniors save percentage is unreal.

Find me one other young goalie with his track record by age 20.

69. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Try – just try to figure out what’s going on in this pic: http://i.imgur.com/c03A97u.jpg

70. Ca$h-Money! says:

Pouzar,

Jacob Markstrom, Eddie Lack, Jack Campbell (admitedly not as good an example but I remember the collective salivation over the guy on draft day), heck even Jonathan Bernier losing his job of the future to an unheralded Jon Quick.

Not saying the kid in Tampa isn’t going to be great, just not confident enough in the assertion to trade a top 10 pick who is progressing nicely & fits a need on the team.

If Gibson plays lights out for the next 4 weeks, assuming Anderson is out for a month, then I bet you Anaheim will trade Anderson this summer. It’s clear to me that they prefer Gibson long term.

71. Ca$h-Money! says:

Auston Matthews ’16,

He’s lurking in the nether…. just make some really poorly thought out quasi-mathematical statement, he will emerge from the shadows to strike you down, and then return ninja like to the darkness.

72. cahill says:

wheatnoil,

Don’t know how legit this guy is but Ference keeps being mentioned.

73. Auston Matthews '16 says:

HabsLinks
    ‏@HabsLinks
    .@TSNBobMcKenzie on TSN Insider Trading: The #Habs are “floating” names of Lars Eller and Alexei Emelin as trade bait prior to the deadline

Not sure what they would be looking for in return, if they’re floating Emelin – teams destined for the playoffs usually try to stock up on defenders?

And considering they already have an old, veteran defenseman, dumping Ference on them is not likely, even with retained salary and incentive picks.

74. Pouzar says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    Pouzar,

If Gibson plays lights out for the next 4 weeks, assuming Anderson is out for a month, then I bet you Anaheim will trade Anderson this summer.It’s clear to me that they prefer Gibson long term.

Exactly. Nurse and Leon are assets you throw around to attain an established stud NHL goalie imo.
    And I still hate the idea.

75. Caribbeerman says:

There is so much to write about and to like about this team since Nelson became the “interim” Head Coach. From Anton Lander to Nail Yakupov, from established players to younger ones, everyone is playing so much better. But to me one of the biggest reasons is the play of Oscar Klefbom – the guy has been nothing short of a stud. The guy never seems to lose a battle on the wall, is prepared to stand-up everyone at the line, is making smart defensive reads and lately chipping in with timely offensive contributions. He has been by miles our best defenseman and I think he is still scratching the surface of his potential.

There is lot’s of chatter about acquiring first-pairing defensemen and I generally agree but don’t underestimate what we are seeing In Klefbom. I rally think we have a stud on our hands and he has had a great deal to do with the Oilers improved play.

76. Ca$h-Money! says:

Caribbeerman,

Let me start by saying I agree with you.

However, jump in your time machine and travel backwards 12 months. Now restate what you’ve just said but replace Klefbom with Marincin.

Yes, Marincin played with Petry, but they were also tougher minutes.

Point being, don’t be too disappointed if (when) Klefbom goes through a rough patch. As LT is so fond of saying, they don’t develop in a straight line.

77. Caribbeerman says:

Ca$h-Money!,

I hear ya…suffice to say I have a serious case of Man-Crush for Klefbom!

78. Pouzar says:

I have to get a ticket for Monday’s game now. Have to see a Nelson coached team live. Been to a few Eakins games already.

79. wheatnoil says:

cahill:
    wheatnoil,

Don’t know how legit this guy is but Ference keeps being mentioned.

Hey, if a trade is out there to be made, I’m all for it! Trade Ference if there’s a taker, use his money to sign Petry, fill his roster spot with Marincin and continue to try to get another D to play top 4 minutes.

I’m 99% sure MacT wouldn’t do it, but I’m with you… it’s a hell of a lot better than the current plan, which seems to be trade Petry for draft picks, fill his spot with Marincin on his wrong side, and wait for Nurse and Klefbom to save us all.

80. PhrankLee says:

Ference isn’t going anywhere. Nowhere.

He was signed for a reason and the reason is MacT’s brainchild. His first significant, stamping the team with his brand, signing. Thus he gave up a NMC.

From Ference’s POV he came from a comfortable spot on a juggernaught squad to toil on MacT’s behalf.

He has his integrity at steak under the eyes of the entire UFA pool. That’s why he underplayed it so pointedly.

If he trades the guy from here who want’s to retire here and put up with with what’s gone on since he arrived…MacT’s name would be muddier than it already is.

He has to keep him and honour the contract. If Ference agrees to a buyout he can safe face announcing early retirement.

It matters how we treat our homegrown vets. The Ryan Smyth affair is still ringing in the players associations ears.

81. Ca$h-Money! says:

Caribbeerman,

Klefbom Klefbom you’re a Klefbom
    You can give it to me when I need to come along
    Klefbom Klefbom you’re my Klefbom
    And baby you can turn me on turn me on darlin’
    Klefbom Klefbom you’re my Klefbom Klefbom
    You can give it to me when I need to come along
    Klefbom Klefbom your’re my Klefbom
    And baby you can turn me on

82. Pouzar says:

God I hope Leon and Nurse are in the “A” next year. Resign Roy, find a couple d-men. Slot Poo on the top line, put Hall with Roy-Yak , Find some faster wingers for Lander and keep the 4th line together. Re-sign Doobie 🙂

83. russ99 says:

PhrankLee:
    Ference isn’t going anywhere. Nowhere.

This is a much bigger issue than homegrown players.

He was a very vocal captain under Eakins and was Eakins’ guy in and out of the room.

This obviously didn’t help things.

So his play is declining badly, and he’s marginalized under Nelson, with other leaders stepping forward. His ring doesn’t have the cachet it once did since he can’t back it up on the ice.

He has to go for both his play and his hardline stance with the kids.

We need a real captain that leads by example, not a “we’re going to play this way” mouthpiece.

I almost want to chalk up Nikitin’s hideous year to poor initial coaching and his injury, and give him another shot as 7th D next year, which surely is a better option than someone like Aulie.

But to be able to improve our defense next year and continue growth under Nelson, Ference has to go.

84. Really? says:

flyfish1168,

Totally agree with your observation. It appears that both Eberle and RNH defer to Hall when playing together. The result is that they become totally predictable and easy to defend.

This is not the first time that these two have shone when Hall is injured.

A second factor to consider is whether Hall is becoming the Oilers version of Glassman Lupul.

85. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

russ99: This is a much bigger issue than homegrown players.

This obviously didn’t help things.

He has to go for both his play and his hardline stance with the kids.

I almost want to chalk up Nikitin’s hideous year to coaching and his injury, and give him another shot as 7th D next year, which surely is a better option than someone like Aulie.

To add on, Phranklee, Ference probably wouldn’t mind a soft landing to finish his career, either. He aligned himself with Eakins, that era ended badly, and he’s now a marginal guy whose game has left him and all he can do is point fingers to the press about who is gliding around too much.

You honor his NMC, but ask him to waive it to go to a better weather, non-fishbowl playoff contender. Dallas, Nashville, Florida, for example. Teams that would welcome a higher cap hit relative to salary. We retain $1M, yes, there’s two years left, but it’s like Staios when he was on the downslope. Remember how we traded him to Calgary for a depth defenseman and a pick with 2 years left on the deal? His cap hit was $2.5M. The cap has gone up since.

The man has Cup experience on his resume and still has a reputation for leadership. These southern borderline playoff teams on limited budgets could use a guy like that at $2.25M per for 2 more years. Maybe the pick coming back is only a 3rd or 4th rounder, but that’s ok. We could really use the cap space elsewhere.

86. PhrankLee says:

russ99: Ference has to go.

As true as this is and no matter how much I or anyone else agrees with you he still won’t go anywhere.

Does Ference strike you as accommodating enough to waive his ace in the sleeve?

Not me.

87. oliveoilers says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

This IS Ference’s soft landing. To wit;

1) Huge salary

2) Small minutes

3) Captain

4) Home city

5) Guaranteed winter training program for spring/summer triathlon season

6) A community that needs it’s Mother Theresa, TCAF.

Be under no illusion, this is his retirement gig.

Though it seems that the new coach has been giving him a long, long pensive sideways look without the rose tinted glasses on….

88. PhrankLee says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: I think something could very much be worked out that works for all parties (the Oilers, the acquiring team, and the player) where no one is bitter.

Like it has in San Jose?

89. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

oliveoilers:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

This IS Ference’s soft landing.To wit;

1)Huge salary

2)Small minutes

3)Captain

4)Home city

5)Guaranteed winter training program for spring/summer triathlon season

6)A community that needs it’s Mother Theresa, TCAF.

Be under no illusion, this is his retirement gig.

I don’t disagree he came here for his retirement gig. Circumstances change. A conversation should be had. Do I think the Oilers have any intention of doing that? No. MacT named him in his list of D-men for next year, and didn’t even mention Slim Shady.

PhrankLee: Like it has in San Jose?

That said, I agree with all of you that this will NEVER happen. It SHOULD happen, it COULD happen, but it WOULDN’T happen. Not in this town with this GM.

90. PhrankLee says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: That’s not a fair comparison. The Sharks aired their dirty laundry in public. That’s not at all what I am talking about here, and you know it from reading what I wrote. Those are two very different circumstances.

91. PhrankLee says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: That said, I agree with all of you that this will NEVER happen. It SHOULD happen, it COULD happen, but it WOULDN’T happen.

This is what I think is the interesting part. Based on that being true does it change who we target?

92. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

PhrankLee: True. I jotted a barbed one there. My point is like Olive. This is his soft landing. Who the hell negotiates a NMC in Edmonton?!

Yeah. I agree that’s what he came for. But if there was a divisive event around the locker room. Oh, let’s say, veteran guy into his fitness aligns himself with Eakins vs. some of the kids. And Eakins loses out, and Ference becomes increasingly isolated, especially if Nelson continues to recognize his deficiencies and reduces his ice time, or worse, healthy scratches him, don’t you think things may change? Rather than embarrass him by putting him in the gondola, maybe some discussions are had behind closed doors if there is another set of circumstances where a young team without much playoff experience that is further along in the rebuild than the Oilers wants his “winning experience” and “leadership” and he will be more appreciated?

I think he and MacT get along well enough that they could have such a conversation in private without humiliation. If Ference doesn’t want the out, then he doesn’t. I think it’s worth having that chat, but like you and Olive, I don’t think MacT will do that.

93. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

PhrankLee: This is what I think is the interesting part.Based on that being true does it change who we target?

RD vs. LD? Well, again, it also depends on getting Nikitin’s money off the books, but it doesn’t sound like that’s in the cards, either. Very frustrating because we’d definitely be turning the corner if we replaced Nikitin and Ference with viable upgrades, and retained Petry.

94. rickithebear says:

PhrankLee:
    Ference isn’t going anywhere. Nowhere.

Ference: 5’10” 185lb
    Very Strong.
    Very Fit
    Efective Right side.
    Top 50 EVA D
    leverages much larger opposition using 2nd level footbal guard technique.

Great EVGA numbers to start of jan 2014.
    3.60+ EVGA/60 rest of year.
    Guard technique missing!
    Shut down for tor PEC tear.
    End of year 2014.
    Zero guard technique this year.

95. GCW_69 says:

Pouzar: None of that means anything until he does it in the NHL. The potential floor of any goalie prospect is always lower than a defenseman or forward. Trading Nurse or Leon for goalie carries way too much risk imo. You can get goalies anywhere but 1st pairing d-men and 1/2 Centermen are much harder to come by. Build a decent team and any goalie will look much better. Look at Scriven’s numbers in LA and Fasth’s numbers in Anaheim or Doobie’s numbers in Minny.

He is doing it in the NHL. Hasn’t missed a beat. His save percentage is much higher than bishop so far.

96. jfry says:

Pretty interesting shooting location data from the first period

« Older Comments