OILERS AT SENATORS, G57 2014-15

These Edmonton Oilers are a fun team to watch this week, winning in Newark and Montreal and losing a close one in NYC. Today, it’s off to the Capital and Ottawa, a team that always looks like a walking trade match from here. Both teams are outside looking in this spring, so a Hemsky trade deadline is unlikely. Damn shame, as there are some nice things in Ottawa.

I’ll have a look at Nelson after 20 at some point but Jonathan is killing it on twitter and over at Oilers Nation. Wonderful information and a must read for Oilers fans but you already knew that I’m sure.

LOWETIDE TOP 30 2015 DRAFT

1. (1)C Connor McDavid, Erie Otters (OHL)
  2. (2)C Jack Eichel, Boston U (NCAA)
  3. (3)C Dylan Strome, Erie Otters (OHL)
  4. (4)D Noah Hanifin, Boston College (NCAA)
  5. (5)R Mitch Marner, London Knights (OHL)
  6. (6) D Ivan Provorov, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
  7. (7) D Oliver Kylington, Farjestad (SHL)
  8. (9) C Nick Merkley, Kelowna (WHL)
  9. (12) C Anthony Beauvillier, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)
  10. (15) R Timo Meier, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
  11. (8) D Zach Werenski, Michigan (NCAA)
  12. (10) L Evgeni Svechnikov, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
  13. (21) L Lawson Crouse, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
  14. (11) R Mikko Rantanen, TPS Turku (SML).
  15. (13) C Mathew Barzal, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
  16. (14) D Jeremy Roy, Sherbrooke Phoenix (QMJHL)
  17. (16) C Pavel Zacha, Sarnia Sting (OHL).
  18. (18) C Travis Konecny, Ottawa 67’s (OHL)
  19. (17) C Jansen Harkins, Prince George Cougars (WHL)
  20. (19) C Filip Chlapik, Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL)
  21. (20) R Daniel Sprong, Charlettown Islanders (QMJHL)
  22. (22) L Jake Debrusk, Swift Current (WHL)
  23. (25) C Kyle Connor, Youngstown (USHL)
  24. (23) D Mitchell Vande Sompel, Oshawa (OHL)
  25. (24) R Jens Looke, Brynas (SHL).
  26. (26) D Jakub Zboril, Saint John Seadogs (QMJHL)
  27. (27) R Nikita Korostelev, Sarnia Sting (OHL)
  28. (28) D Thomas Chabot, Saint John (QMJHL)
  29. (29) R Brock Boeser, Waterloo (USHL)
  30. (30) G Daniel Vladar, G, Kladno (Cze Jr)

Not much movement this week, the big one is Lawson Crouse who is finding the range offensively. I’ll have Corey Pronman on this week to talk about the draft and we’ll have an in depth chat about Crouse. Two players who are getting a lot of attention lately are Anthony Beauvillier and Timo Meier who both gain entry into my Top 10 overall this week.

NEXT CALLUPS?

AHL Hockey: Oct 23 Barons vs MonstersI spoke to Neal Livingston yesterday and he mentioned Brandon Davidson as the next logical defensive callup, with Curtis Hamilton and Bogdan Yakimov being the likely forwards next on the list. I think it’s also possible we see Laurent Brossoit for a look-see before season’s end, he was brilliant in a 1-0 loss to the Chicago Wolves last night.

HOCKEY DAY IN CANADA

Bruce McCurdy will join me today at noon on Saturday Sports Extra and we’ll talk about the big stories today. We’ll also talk about hockey day in Canada and what the grand game means to us. Call in if you like and share your memories.

LEON’S WHL SEASON

PPG NAME (LEAGUE) GP G A PTS
.906 LEON DRAISAITL 2012-13 WHL 64 21 37 58
1.64 LEON DRAISAITL 2013-14 WHL 64 38 67 105
1.44 LEON DRAISAITL 2014-15 WHL 16 7 16 23

A certain segment of Oiler fandom is bringing the crazy about Leon Draisaitl. I’ve read more than a few comments about Leon’s struggles and doubts about his long-range future. Ridiculous. Leon is slightly off last season’s points-per-game total but is still adjusting and plays on a brilliant junior team where he’s sharing the TOI. This is a great spot for Leon and he’s working hard, getting his points and is miles from being a distraction. This is a good kid and an outstanding prospect. If you’re worried, don’t. The same people who have Hall being a major factor in Oilers losses are probably fretting over this one. The sky isn’t falling on either player, they’re damn good.

OILERS 5X5/60 2014-15 (FORWARDS)

1. Taylor Hall 1.87
  2. Jordan Eberle 1.84
  3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1.72
  4. Anton Lander 1.72
  5. Benoit Pouliot 1.68
  6. Derek Roy 1.65
  7. Teddy Purcell 1.28
  8. Matt Fraser 1.25
  9. Matt Hendricks 0.91
  10. Rob Klinkhammer 0.91
  11. Nail Yakupov 0.86
  12. Boyd Gordon 0.79
  13. Luke Gazdic 0.75

You’d like that top line in the 2’s but it’s been a bizarre year and there is still time. Lander’s emergence? Music! One thing to look for in the second half of the season is a Yak City spike—he’s far better than this number and seems to be feeling it with Nelson at the controls. Nail hasn’t played with real swagger since Ralph and that’s for sure. We know this young man can score goals and we can hope he figures it out. That would be a wonderful bullet point for the season’s second half.

OILERS 5X5/60 2014-15 (DEFENSE)

1. Justin Schultz 0.93
  2. Oscar Klefbom 0.78
  3. Andrew Ference 0.53
  4. Jeff Petry 0.50
  5. Mark Fayne 0.29
  6. Martin Marincin 0.24
  7. Keith Aulie 0.00

Klefbom is just past 50 NHL games and his arrows pierce the sky at the outer limits, it makes one giddy to think of this guy after 300 games. I don’t know who sent the prayers, but the dreamy kid from Karlstad was sent to answer them.

223 Responses to "OILERS AT SENATORS, G57 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. book¡je says:

Woodguy:
    Re: piling on MacT

He can fix his fuck ups and I’ll love him again.

But he needs to fix them.

Absolutely, it a results oriented business (someone once said that) and we should judge him by his results.

How long do we wait for the good results?

2. blainer says:

Lowetide: I would take Marner third overall.

It looks to me that Marner is much better than Skinner was in his draft year. If we are drafting in the three spot that kind of talent will be hard to pass up. Can’t see MacT passing on Strome though.. He wants size…

3. Pouzar says:

I finally get a chance to sit at home by myself to watch a game and this shit show.

Fan-F^cking-Tastic.

4. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I would take Marner third overall.

But you really can’t be too wrong on taking Marner.

Kind of reminiscent of the Barkov or Drouin discussions from 2013.

5. Eastern Oil says:

book¡je: Can’t talk – just survived a hit by a pair ofT-7T’s – we’re pushing through to a skynet power centre.

The Oilers are still out of the playoffs here.

Can you find me and see if I ended up with my dad’s receding hair line? Not that it would make a difference but I will wear a hat less now if it helps.

6. Heinz 57 says:

I know I’ve sometimes been on the pedantic side of the fence concerning copy editing.

This one is ten bells (3.33 bells per clanger):

Why oven temperature should I sue when cooking or baking with Renolyds® Parchment Paper?

From Which side of Reynolds® Parchment Paper should I use? which appears to be their official FAQ.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Yeah, I keep hearing people say ‘Hanifin is only Bouwmeester’ and I’m like, um, uh, you know….

Ha!

I still think the hit the ball out of the park comp for LD is Jozef Stumpel. That’s a clear win of a career pick. I get that that would disappoint people… but, man are they off with their expectations

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: I’d be against that only because I’m from the “strength down the middle” school of thought.

But you really can’t be too wrong on taking Marner.

Kind of reminiscent of the Barkov or Drouin discussions from 2013.

Good point.

Barkov was in the Liiga though, which makes the straight-across comparable tougher.

I like projectable centers myself. You lose points if you don’t play center, or we can’t reasonably expect you to play center in the bigs.

9. leadfarmer says:

verdad2.0,

Yes, but unfortunately none of us have the power to do so, therefore bringing it up every thread is worthless and rather annoying.

10. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Good point.

So, then. Strome or Marner?

My draft chart goes McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Hanifin, Marner.

RexLibris: So, then. Strome or Marner?

My draft chart goes McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Hanifin, Marner.

It’ll be Strome or Hanifin if the Oilers pick three, and my list suggests Strome. I’m happy with that prediction.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: So, then. Strome or Marner?

My draft chart goes McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Hanifin, Marner.

I’m leaning Strome.

Crouse, Crouse, Strome, Crouse, Dancs, Tkachev, N. Ritchie, Crouse, Marner, The big Russian D

13. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: That’s how I see it going too. I think Marner is better than Strome or Hanifin but the Oilers up the middle isn’t strong enough yet to ignore the depth and quality. Maybe if Yakimov was killing the AHL.

And I think we have to accept that this is actually something the Oilers need more than a dynamic scoring winger.

Scoring wingers are great. Provided you have a roster that can support them.

I go back to Dionne/LaFleur.

I think the Habs could have picked either one and found success. We see LaFleur as the right call because he played for the better team.

The Oilers need Strome to make them a better team more than they need Marner.

Once they’ve got a more stable foundation in place they can pick up players like Teravainen later in the draft and look like geniuses.

14. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’m leaning Strome.

You forgot Dergachyov.

He might be dreamy.

15. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Not upset about this game. Who didn’t see that coming? Nationally televised game, on the road, afternoon start. I’m fine with it because I enjoyed the Habs game, and I’ve told myself not to get too high or too low anymore.

The recent little run doesn’t change a lot of the problems with the Oilers.

Fix: goaltending
    Fix: D: send out Ference, Nikitin for upgrades, re-sign Petry
    Fix: F: send out Purcell, retain Roy but bring in a 2C.
    Clear cap space.

The problems remain many. Nelson has them going the right way, but there are so many holes MacT needs to fix. Results-based business. Yes, bookje I keep saying that. Because it is outside Edmonton.

To answer the poster, was it Rex, who asked who would take Purcell? His buyout is $1.5M. If you retain $1.5M and you get a late pick back, you take it. If you can’t get that, then buy him out.

It’s a cruel business but the Oilers need to clear cap space and be ruthless this summer in order to improve the team.

RexLibris:
    I go back to Dionne/LaFleur.

Lafleur was a centre in junior, and started his NHL career as a centre (for about two years).

#JustSayNoah

Savard, Robinson, Lapointe

Klefbom, Nurse, Hanifan

One has much more margin for error with forwards if one has a killer defense. It is easier to find 2nd line centres, and draft centres, and the Oilers already have Nugent-Hopkins and Draisaitl than to find top pairing D.

Seth Jones is making more impact than Barkov or Drouin. Arguably Nurse is going to make more impact.

17. VanOil says:

Numenius:
    I hope McT noticed how superior Petry was to Schultz that game and has concluded the better bet is to sign Petry and trade Schultz.

Schultz no doubt can be better and has room to grow, but I can’t see how his better would be any better than Petry’s regular.

Plus, McT is convinced that size is key, and Petry makes such a physical difference out there, unlike Schultz, that any edge to Schultz on the offensive side (which seems only to be an edge) cancels out.

Agreed, Klefbom-Petry would be a much more believable big minutes pairing than Klefbom-Jultz.

Buyout Ference. Or trade him and retain salary.

Purcell and Nikitin can be pressbox players next year. Replacing them means one has to find replacements and those replacements will be have to be overpaid with too much duration. With one year left each, Purcell and Nikitin are ideal pressbox players.

19. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

godot10:
    Buyout Ference.Or trade him and retain salary.

Purcell and Nikitin can be pressbox players next year.Replacing them means one has to find replacements and those replacements will be have to be overpaid with too much duration.With one year left each, Purcell and Nikitin are ideal pressbox players.

Addition by subtraction. It’s not hard to replace Purcell’s production. Draisaitl can play wing on the 3rd line. Pouliot can play up in the order. Buy Purcell out or retain salary and send him packing.

Nikitin won’t be hard to replace, either. He’s a pylon. Buy him out.

Ference, I agree 100%, if they can pull it off.

Petry- replacing him is the problem.

New post is up.

21. VanOil says:

Yak racing in Mongolia http://youtu.be/6EQ-X1rIqCs

Apparently it is hard to get them running in a straight line. They are awful cute though.

22. verdad2.0 says:

If the OIlers have to pick three , then they must trade the pick.
    This team does not need another “project” at 19.
    Strome or Hanifan of no use in the short or medium term.
    The Oilers need real players not more “future”. As I said before , teams that invest only in prospects only get prospects for eternity.
    The abuse of OIlers fans must end.

23. verdad2.0 says:

And one other thing, can we can start to just ignore the possibility that Schultz ever seriously plays defense again in the NHL.
    If MacTavish wants to trade a defenseman tomorrow or in the next two weeks it should be him.
    In the case of Schultz, his elimination from the roster is a net addition in effectiveness.
    Any other GM would have deduced this long ago.

« Older Comments