As the season winds down and Craig MacTavish trades away useful pieces, the time has come to talk about next season’s roster. There are good contracts, bad contracts and contracts that no one could get rid of, so we have most of the opening night roster now.
A QUICK LOOK AT 2015-16
|POS||NAME||CAP HIT||EXPIRY DATE|
|G||(No. 1 starter)|
|D||OSCAR KLEFBOM||$1,244,000||2016 (rfa)|
|D||JUSTIN SCHULTZ||$4,000,000 (est)||2016 (est)|
|D||(Top 4 defender)|
|D||DARNELL NURSE||$1,744,000||2018 (rfa)|
|C||LEON DRAISAITL||$3,400,000||2018 (rfa)|
|C||ANTON LANDER||$1,000,000 (est)||2017 (est)|
|C||(extra C, could be veteran)|
|L||NAIL YAKUPOV||$2,500,000||2016 (est)|
|L||LUKE GAZDIC||$ 800,000||2016 (rfa)|
|R||ROB KLINKHAMMER||$1,000,000 (est)||2050 (est)|
We can quibble over the numbers but the bottom line is Edmonton won’t add too many men this summer BUT those men will be important: starting goalie, top 4 defender to replace Jeff Petry, center and two-way winger. If the cap ends up at $72 million, that’s about 10-12 million for Antti Niemi, Christian Ehrhoff, Derek Roy and Justin Williams. Music! I think Craig MacTavish will be making at least two trades this summer, he might be able to get the center and the winger via free agency.
LOWETIDE TOP 10, 2015 DRAFT
- (1)C Connor McDavid, Erie Otters (OHL)
- (2)C Jack Eichel, Boston U (NCAA)
- (3)C Dylan Strome, Erie Otters (OHL)
- (4)D Noah Hanifin, Boston College (NCAA)
- (5)R Mitch Marner, London Knights (OHL)
- (6) D Ivan Provorov, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
- (7) D Oliver Kylington, Farjestad (SHL)
- (9) C Nick Merkley, Kelowna (WHL)
- (12) C Anthony Beauvillier, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)
- (15) R Timo Meier, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
— Mike Morreale (@mikemorrealeNHL) February 12, 2015
CURRENT ESTIMATED TRADE VALUES
- Boyd Gordon: I think he could fetch a pick inside the Top 50 overall—and that’s in a deep draft. Gordon can help in multiple areas, he’d have significant value.
- Jeff Petry: I’ve been saying a late second or third-round pick (No. 55 to No. 80) but the Franson deal may suggest Petry could fetch a second-round selection. I remain convinced the range predicted earlier (late second to third) is the reasonable line in the sand.
- Matt Hendricks: A fourth-round pick. Hendricks has more value (imo) to Edmonton than he would if cashed but I wanted to mention it because Elliotte Friedman suggested there would be some interest (while he also said it was unlikely the Oilers would let him go).
- Derek Roy: A fourth-round pick. There’s a chance Edmonton will sign him but if they do make a trade I suspect the pick will land around No. 116.
- Viktor Fasth: A sixth-round pick. I think he’s played well enough to not only increase value but improve his odds of being dealt.
We’re two weeks from the deadline and I wonder if we see Petry’s deal go right down to the wire. There are clubs who need defensemen and with Franson off the market it looks like Petry is the No. 2 free-agent option (behind Andrej Sekera in Carolina) at the deadline.
- Bob McKenzie: “But I think what you can reasonably expect to get is sort of a middle round pick, a third round pick, for Petry.” Source
— Garret Hohl (@GarretHohl) February 11, 2015
If the Oilers draft Macdavid or Eichel, what are we to make of Leon? AHL? Left wing? The big man enjoyed a strong week in the WHL and these junior games will do a lot for him. Sending Draisaitl back is probably one of the best moves Edmonton made this winter.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
We’re live at Saikers Acres today, those brave men and women who are playing and volunteering for cancer have my respect and yours, too. 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:
- Matt Henderson, Hockeybuzz and Oilers Nation. The Petry trade talk had a bizarre weekend.
- Corey Graham, TSN1260 Oil Kings PBP. Early game for the Memorial Cup champions today, we’ll check in.
- Dennis King, Oilogosphere icon. SNL 40, NBA All-Star game, Petry in limbo, Oilers sucked in Ottawa and tonight’s game.
10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Talk soon!