DUCKS AT OILERS G61, 2014-15

Craig MacTavish held a media avail yesterday and answered several important questions in regard to the Oilers’ future. It’s important to hear the entire item, as MacT’s general demeanor was more relaxed and assured than the December event. Here are a few quotes and my take on each.

• MacT on the Petry situation: “We have had many conversations over the last four weeks with his representative Wade Arnott, and they’ve all been constructive conversations. I’ll leave it at that.” Source

It’s such an interesting development. Readers of this blog will know that I’ve written on the subject nonstop over recent weeks and had certainly framed the issue in a negative light (Oilers trading Petry=bad idea). The Oilers as an organization are fairly predictable and Petry was in the ‘Gilbert slide’ portion of his career. It was supposed to go: Oilers head on the road, but Petry stays behind—dealt the next day. Team and player may not reach agreement but my guess is team came to a different conclusion in the last few months. I’d give over $10 to find out what happened.

If he is moved, the Oilers shopping list (starting goalie, LH D for 2nd pairing) has an added issue (top pairing RH D). We’re getting into shorter lists but the players are absolute cornerstone items. MacT won’t be GM long enough to fill these holes. Signing Petry is going to be very important to a lot of people in the organization, including the owner. Can you imagine trying to sell tickets to the new building next spring with fewer than 20 wins in 60 games? Lordy.

• MacT on the nature of deadline returns: “You would like to get a player (in a trade) who is ready to come in and fill a role. But draft choices are liquid at the draft, too.” Source

Fascinating answer. I’ve been doing a series over at ON (here and here) and it’s very interesting to look at what’s bubbling under at the minor league level. If you look at Detroit (Ryan Sproul) or Florida (Connor Brickley) or any number of AHL men, it’s clear the Oilers could find a reasonable option for next season—a player with a similar talent level to Matt Fraser, or Iiro Pakarinen. Is that enough for Petry? I don’t think so, but some of these guys would be more valuable than another draft pick. And they can contribute right away.

• MacT on Derek Roy: “Derek has given us another dimension. He doesn’t self-destruct and he’s meshed well with Yak. There’s a chemistry. Derek isn’t a needy hockey player; he thinks the game very well and puts the puck in the right areas.” Source

It’s an interesting decision. Anton Lander and Roy have settled things down up the middle, along with Nuge and veteran Boyd Gordon. The club has Leon Draisaitl coming along and possibly a center (Dylan Strome?) via the draft. Adding Roy would mean filling the 2C hole with a veteran, my guess (as Matty notes) is that the team will wait to see if they can shoehorn a teenager (the default move) in there this fall. Roy/Yak would have to be the soft parade line though, there’s some big Corgi’s barking when those two are on the ice—even in these good days.

• MacT on Leon and Darnell spending next season in the AHL:  “If you go down to the American League and you’re dominant down there, then when you clear that hurdle, then you’re ready to come up here and it’s much healthier for the team. Rather than (living with) a bunch of youthful mistakes that we’ve lived with for far too long.”  Source

That John MacKinnon article is a must-read, MacT clearly learned a rookie GM lesson from the Draisaitl experiment and the takeaway is going to be AHL time for even the top end guys. Music! Now, sign Marco Roy, Anton Slepyshev, Jackson Houck, Ben Betker and Joey Laleggia and we’ll see the best of them in 2018 fall. Finally!!

• MacT on roster change this summer: “Next year, going into training camp, there’s every expectation on my part that we’ll have 80 per cent of the people back which hasn’t been the case over the last couple of years.” Source

By my count, 80% of a 23-man roster is 4 or 5 players. By position that’s a starting goalie (Scrivens as backup) and a LD (Klefbom-Schultz, ?-Fayne, Ference-Nikitin), along with a LW who can play with Roy-Yakupov (unless it’s Pouliot) and perhaps an extra center. Fair? I think that’s Antti Niemi, Christian Ehrhoff, Carl Soderberg and Marcel Goc. Now THAT’S a summer! Alas, you never get everything you want.

PROJECTED 2015-16 OILERS ROSTER

201516 ROSTER

Does that team make the playoffs? The second line is the soft parade line and the fourth line is the checking line. The top line—if healthy—should be able to run with the pack and score at evens. That third line needs a Pisani, and I think Pouliot could fill the role. However, I’ve chosen Paajarvi for the 3line over a 2line LW option which would no doubt be more expensive. I also chose Wiercioch because he fits what MacT was describing above—I wish this was 2002 because a lefty Staios would be top drawer.

LOWETIDE TOP 30, 2015

25. (26) D Jakub Zboril, Saint John Seadogs (QMJHL) 33GP, 8-14-22
  26. (27) R Nikita Korostelev, Sarnia Sting (OHL) 44GP, 19-25-44
  27. (28) D Thomas Chabot, Saint John (QMJHL) 55GP, 9-23-32
  28. (29) R Brock Boeser, Waterloo (USHL) 39GP, 26-19-45
  29. (NR) L Paul Bittner, Swift Current Broncos (WHL) 52GP, 24-25-49
  30. (NR) D Travis Dermott, Erie Otters (OHL) 48GP, 6-29-35

The Oilers are headed for No. 28 overall (it’ll be Buffalo 30, Toronto 29, Edmonton 28) and one suspects they will in fact draft No. 3 overall. I believe that means a decision between Strome and Hanifin, with the CHL player getting the nod. If the Penguins’ pick is around No. 21-25, I think Zacha, DeBrusk, Jeremy Roy and Paul Bittner may all be in play. Remember, the Oilers traditionally leave a first round in which they have two picks with a forward and a defenseman.

OILERS RIG

The Oilers Rig is a cool blog that delivers insightful information and has a lot of fun. You’ve heard several of their writers on the Lowdown in the last year and I’d guess most of you make a daily visit. They have a big event tonight—Bruce McCurdy and I will talk to Dave Gordon about it at 12:45 today on SSE—and this is your invitation to take it all in (below). I can’t make the event but if you can please have fun and help out a very worthy cause.

oilers rig

I didn’t write about last night’s game during today’s GDT for two reasons: I’ll have the Oilers Nation GDT up later today and cover a few things there, and you should brace yourself for more results like last night. Edmonton is overmatched badly against the west, even when they’re healthy. They played last night without Taylor Hall, Jeff Petry and Anton Lander, plus the Perron’s et cetera who have been sent away. The one player I noticed last night in a good way? Nail Yakupov. The Russian doesn’t know a thing about giving up, God love him. I don’t blame Nuge, Eberle, Pouliot, the Gordon line, Scrivens, any of them. Last night’s effort wasn’t Toronto and it wasn’t Ottawa: It was the Oilers. You can’t take a knife to a gun fight, no sir.

Sign Jeff Petry. Today.

306 Responses to "DUCKS AT OILERS G61, 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. Pouzar says:

Nice pinch by Westerly

2. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Younger Oil,

I apologize. I misunderstood. I didn’t realize you were a proponent of BPA as well; your post didn’t seem that way. In that case, we agree.

Also, I haven’t yet decided who is “best” among Hanifin, Strome, Marner. If I had to choose today, I’d probably go with the order I just listed. I do think that some people who are wondering if he may be a top 3D or may not are underrating the quality of his status as an elite prospect.

3. Pouzar says:

Westerly lookin good skating that puck out.

We’ve been talking about passing the puck up well, Oesterle just made a dandy play. Oh my.

5. Pouzar says:

French translation: west = ouest (close enough)

Soooo…can we go with Westerle?

My brain can’t reconcile a name beginning with 2 vowels.

6. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Pouzar:
    French translation: west = ouest (close enough)

Soooo…can we go with Westerle?

My brain can’t reconcile a name beginning with 2 vowels.

Sorry about that. You can call me Matthews.

7. Pouzar says:

Auston Matthews ’16: Sorry about that. You can call me Matthews.

There’s one in every crowd!

8. oliveoilers says:

Westerly Crusher!

9. oliveoilers says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Younger Oil,

In a deep draft, the first containing sure bets in the top five, the Edmonton Oilers are proud to select 3rd overall, Lawson Crouse.

The Edmonton ‘Landing in a barrel of tits and come up sucking ya thumb’ Oilers!

10. TemujinBC says:

That’s our Yak

11. stephen sheps says:

Stop ripping on Crouse. Please. Just stop it.
    No he’s not 3rd overall material but he’s a fantastic hockey player, and now that he gets Bennett back, watch his scoring increase.

Yes my opinion of him is rooted mostly in ‘saw him good’ but I saw him good a lot, and in every situation I saw him play both last year and this year, he’s almost always the best player on the ice. There is no need to make Crouse the punch-line for the Oilers future ineptitude.

also, YAK!!!!

12. TemujinBC says:

Good grief, the more I look at that… that’s an ACTUAL HOCKEY PLAY by all members of that line

MUSIC

13. Suntory Hanzo says:

Yak starts another point streak. Drink!

Slowly inching towards that 216 points.

14. Pouzar says:

Holy crap I missed it rollin with my kid………………………….get to bed!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Suntory Hanzo says:

TemujinBC:

MUSIC

Maybe that what LT means when he says three scoring lines. He actually means three people scoring points on one line.

16. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Pouzar,

Little Aaron isn’t in bed yet?

17. Pouzar says:

Auston Matthews ’16:
    Pouzar,

Little Aaron isn’t in bed yet?

LOL…….

18. Pouzar says:

So Westerly can make a pass. Me like.

19. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Pouzar,

Earl? Augustus? Ian? Eugene? Aiden?

20. Pouzar says:

Auston Matthews ’16:
    Pouzar,

Earl? Augustus? Ian? Eugene? Aiden?

Fine. I just like Westerly!

Like Westerly Wind! Come on now!

21. frjohnk says:

What’s with the oiler d wearing numbers in the 80’s?

Osterle 82
    Klefbom 84
    Marincin 85
    Nikitin 86

22. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Pouzar,

I like it too. But I don’t like aisle seats or autumn.

23. jp says:

kinger_OIL:
    LT – Come on, maybe in “fantasy hockey”, you could come up with a roster that is playoffs next year, but that is not realistic.And with the roster you suggested?Teams that finish 30 points out of the playoffs, do not historically make the playoffs the next year…They are much more likely to finish 30 points out of the playoffs the next year.You would be hard pressed to find informed fans who believe the OIL will be a playoff team next year.

24. Auston Matthews '16 says:

frjohnk:
    What’s with the oiler d wearing numbers in the 80’s?

Osterle 82
    Klefbom 84
    Marincin 85
    Nikitin 86

Someone told them that the Oilers from the 80s were good.

25. Suntory Hanzo says:

frjohnk,

They are like all Oiler fans…they live in the 80s.

*tear

26. oliveoilers says:

stephen sheps:
    Stop ripping on Crouse. Please. Just stop it.

also, YAK!!!!

No, never! Booo, Crouse sucks, booo!

Crouse steals girl guide cookies and sells them on for profit, which he sends to his uncle Kevin in Edmonton so he’ll draft him. True story.*

*Absolutely not true.

27. Halfwise says:

Pouzar: Fine. I just like Westerly!

Like Westerly Wind! Come on now!

Glad to see him get some love from the broadcast crew, too.

28. leadfarmer says:

Roy and Yak getting top minutes over Ebs and Nuge. Good to see coach rewarding good play.

Now if Oesterle have a career like the other Deerborn Michigan native I’ll be happy.

Give up who it is? His name sounds like Ryan Bafalski

29. stephen sheps says:

oliveoilers,

to clarify, yes I have an irrational fan-crush.

however it’s more about the principle than the player – these kids can’t help where they’re ranked, and if scouts do dumb things, the players shouldn’t end up as blogger-fodder. It’s similar to what I posted the other day about ripping on players (Ference for example) for anything other than their on-ice performance. What’s the point?

(also, your untrue true story did make me laugh a little… so thank you for reminding me to take myself and my fan-crushes less seriously)

Seeing him pretty damn good for his 1st NHL game.

Far too calm for it to be his 1st game.

31. Numenius says:

Halfwise: Sorry to get all pedantic and picky and shit, but Oester in German indicates Easterly not Westerly. It’s the root of the name of the country Austria, Oesterreich, East Kingdom.

Glad to see him get some love from the broadcast crew, too.

I was going to make this pedantic point too. You beat me to it, nice work.

He’s looking like a wily vet already.

Go Easterly!

32. oliveoilers says:

stephen sheps:
    oliveoilers,

to clarify, yes I have an irrational fan-crush.

I like Crouse just fine, and if by some miracle he’s still there at Pitts pick, then I seriously consider it. However, to me, that pick is just made for a goalie in a weak UFA market this year.

Now, I’m glad you liked my story. Would you like to hear about what I saw Ryan Smyth doing with a burlap sack, some house bricks and some really cute Lab puppies on the bridge? It’s as true as the last one….

33. frjohnk says:

Woodguy: Seeing him pretty damn good for his 1st NHL game.

Far too calm for it to be his 1st game.

And another guy that just passes Ference on the depth chart.

34. Pouzar says:

Glad to see him get some love from the broadcast crew, too.

There’s one in every crowd 😛

Thanks though

35. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Numenius: Go Easterly

Easterly westerly. We’ll need a ruling on this.

Maybe just Lee?

36. Halfwise says:

Auston Matthews ’16: Easterlywesterly. We’ll need a ruling on this.

Maybe just Lee?

We could go with *Sterly and be DOS geeks.

37. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: Seeing him pretty damn good for his 1st NHL game.

Far too calm for it to be his 1st game.

Bob Green can not be stopped?

38. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Halfwise: We could go with *Sterly and be DOS geeks.

Surly it is!

39. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Pouzar: There’s one in every crowd

But you said I was the one.

40. Numenius says:

Auston Matthews ’16: Easterlywesterly. We’ll need a ruling on this.

Maybe just Lee?

pedantic/

Depends if you want accuracy or not.

The name is Germanic, so accuracy is East, not West.

/pedantic

41. kinger_OIL says:

jp: I posted something on this a few months back. It’s actually surprisingly likely that teams finishing bottom 3 will take a huge step forward and make the playoffs the next year. I can’t remember the numbers, maybe I’ll have a look later. But it isn’t a crazy thing to hope for.

JP – I’d love it if I was wrong, and your data shows me so -Just going through the yearly end of season finishes though, I’d be surprised that the conclusion is that it’s likely that teams finishing in bottom 3 will take a huge step forward and make the playoffs the next year. Yes it does happen, but realistically, take last year as a proxy:, of Edmonton, Buffalo and I think Florida: only Florida has made strides. If next year we could be Florida in terms of improvement: that’s the optimistic outcome. Or hope for crazy unsustainable luck like Colorado and go from the dumpers to near the top (and back to near the bottom the next year). So hoping for an awesome luck year is also possible….

42. TemujinBC says:

Gah that’s so unfair to Yak-Roy-Pur to be a -1 on that

43. leadfarmer says:

Scrivens protesting his leakiness

44. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Numenius: pedantic/

Depends if you want accuracy or not.

The name is Germanic, so accuracy is East, not West.

/pedantic

45. oliveoilers says:

Goal tending, man, goal tending.

46. jp says:

Woodguy: Seeing him pretty damn good for his 1st NHL game.

Far too calm for it to be his 1st game.

My concern is he’s going to get calmer once the nerves wear off. Soon his panic level will be Jultzian, which likely isn’t a good thing.

47. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

I’m gonna say it. Klef is good at going down and selling the call. He’s a dreamy embellisher, too.

(Runa and hides).

48. Auston Matthews '16 says:

oliveoilers:
    Goal tending, man, goal tending.

Some goal support would be nice too.

Goaling. It’s a thing.

50. leadfarmer says:

So what kind of a contract does MacT offer Yakupov in the summer?

51. oliveoilers says:

Wonder if Todd has Hamilton practising snap shots next session? Great feed by Yak.

52. Mr DeBakey says:

leadfarmer: So what kind of a contract does MacT offer Yakupov in the summer?

Double his actual salary

53. frjohnk says:

Yak had some moments at the end where he could have helped tie it up.

Last few games he has been one of the best players offensively.

At 21 years of age he is still young enough that he could get to another level or two.

If so, he is gonna be a beauty.

Sure hope it’s as an oiler.

54. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Mr DeBakey: Double his actual salary

I’d go $5M/2 = $2.25M next year / $2.75M year after.

kinger_OIL:

Not absolutely sure what you’re referencing, but I haven’t at any time suggested the Oilers are going to be a playoff team next season. They are not, and it isn’t close.

56. blainer says:

Yak’s ice time 19:24.. impressive.. Nelson getting confident with the young man. Loved how Nelson deployed the D tonight .. only playin ference 15 plus mins.. keep it up coach..

57. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

frjohnk,

I think we’re probably getting to near the point it’s safe that they won’t trade him. Had Nelson and Roy not come on, it could have been a different story.

58. Pouzar says:

Auston Matthews ’16: Well the reason we started down this road, is that someone wanted to avoid names beginning with two vowels. Easterly doesn’t help that.

This. And if you fly West long enough…………..

59. kinger_OIL says:

Sorry I read this passage from your great write-up today : “Does that team make the playoffs? The second line is the soft parade line and the fourth line is the checking line. The top line—if healthy—should be able to run with the pack and score at evens.”, as you suggesting this is a playoff team? I guess you were being facetious. So you agree this team isn’t likely playoffs next year no matter what: then we are on same page…

60. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Pouzar: This. And if you fly West long enough…………..

You eventually get to Europe?

61. Pouzar says:

Ok……..Jordan Westerly for the HOF????

Corsi diff:

Westerly +10
    Captain +10

62. frjohnk says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    frjohnk,

Yeah, you are probably right.

63. 8p0intgame says:

Auston Matthews ’16,

I nominate Auston Matthews ’16 for winner of the thread. He’s on fire tonight.

(Thanks, man. I needed a few good laughs today.)

64. Halfwise says:

8p0intgame:
    Auston Matthews ’16,

I nominate Auston Matthews ’16 for winner of the thread. He’s on fire tonight.

(Thanks, man. I needed a few good laughs today.)

Auston it’s considered good form to throw the commemorative ball cap into the crowd.

65. leadfarmer says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

First overall picks tend to get paid for being just that. That will be the starting point, but I highly doubt that will be the final number.

kinger_OIL:

Sorry I read this passage from your great write-up today :“Does that team make the playoffs? The second line is the soft parade line and the fourth line is the checking line. The top line—if healthy—should be able to run with the pack and score at evens.”, as you suggesting this is a playoff team?I guess you were being facetious.So you agree this team isn’t likely playoffs next year no matter what: then we are on same page…

sorry, Kinger. Should have been more clear there. I can’t imagine the Oilers making the playoffs next season, especially once they trade Petry. Unless they get McDavid and he’s something special. I mean SPECIAL

67. leadfarmer says:

Well The leafs get at least a point tonight.

68. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

leadfarmer,

leadfarmer:
    So what kind of a contract does MacT offer Yakupov in the summer?

You didn’t ask what will be the final number as far as I know; you asked what MacT may offer. 2yr bridge with an escalating salary would be my guess at his opening offer.

69. Pouzar says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 30m30 minutes ago
    “Great composure, fantastic skating ability. He was so calm. Very impressive.” @Ferknuckle on @j_oest15’s @NHL debut tonight

70. Pouzar says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 22m22 minutes ago
    “He was excellent. He moved his feet, made some good decisions with the puck and handled himself in the corners.” Nelson on @j_oest15

TOR picks up 2pts in OT vs WIN.

72. Auston Matthews '16 says:

8p0intgame,

Well we had a lot of guys who couldn’t be here tonight, and I was just trying to keep up and fill in where I could – playing my position and following the coaches plan. And I couldn’t have done it without a great setup guy like Pouzie.

Now to go write up my pitch for a new reality show: Jersey Thower

73. Numenius says:

Ha!

74. Numenius says:

Jultz gets the double agent award this game.

75. Pouzar says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m1 minute ago
    “I really pride myself in my puck-moving ability.” @j_oest15 on his #Oilers debut

Well it just so happens we have an opening son.

76. Auston Matthews '16 says:

LA Kings – isn’t it after labor day?

77. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Numenius:
    Jultz gets the double agent award this game.

That plan was a long time coming for the Ducks!

78. RexLibris says:

Just came back and checked the score. Better than I had anticipated.

Nice to hear that Oesterle played well. I liked his game in TC, he processed the play at a good pace, made good passes and when that was taken away showed that he could skate to open areas with his head up for the pass.

Good player there. Hope he gets a couple NHL games under his belt. Maybe even a career.

79. sliderule says:

Two of the teams that were bottom five last year are currently in a playoff position.

Florida is just out of the running and they were fifth.

If the oil win the lottery they will probably make the playoffs.

80. RexLibris says:

Follow-up on the Yakimov goal-crashing yesterday: Ortio expected to be out 6-8 weeks with a high-ankle sprain.

81. VOR says:

I have said this before but it clearly bears repeating. The most spectacular turn arounds of the past have some common features. Most dont feature any free agents. Most dont feature any trades. Most involve three or fewer roster changes. At least one of the difference makers is somebody nobody saw coming. Draft and develop was at the foundation of every huge single season turn around and most of the two season turn arounds.

82. Snowman says:

Hello Gents and Ladies,

I was at the game tonight and I’ll just add my comments to the thread.

Oesterle is a gem. Or at least he played like one. Fantastic confident skating. Head up and eyes up reading the play. Excellent passer. Very, very good first game. Had the one shaky play where the puck hopped his stick but other than that he was a positive contributor the whole night. Very impressive first NHL game.

Yak is a beast. Its like he’s added another gear of top end speed. Lots of times where he just took off and blew by people on the dump in or the forecheck. He skated MILES. Also he laid a couple of pretty good hits and really got into it with Cogliano for a lot of the game. I really thought there was gonna be fisticuffs. Very encouraging game. He was dangerous all night, read the play well, pretty good puck support, some excellent passes. Very good game.

Those were the two I watched the most through the game. I didn’t notice much else from anybody that was unexpected or unusual (although I should say Gazdic played better than I anticipated).

Good game by the Oilers especially Oesterle and Yak. I was blown away by Oesterle’s composure with the puck. What a fantastic young D-man.

83. Pouzar says:

VOR:
    I have said this before but it clearly bears repeating. The most spectacular turn arounds of the past have some common features.Most dont feature any free agents. Most dont feature any trades.Most involve three or fewer roster changes.At least one of the difference makers is somebody nobody saw coming. Draft and develop was at the foundation of every huge single season turn around and most of the two season turn arounds.

This a million times.

84. Pouzar says:

Snowman,

The Corgi numbers back up yer eyes.

85. Oddspell says:

Snowman,

Oesterle is a great passer too. A few times he’d send the puck through a danger zone but every time he hit his man. Very impressed with his vision, no wonder he was on for the 6 on 5.

I don’t want to get ahead of myself but he reminded me a lot of Petry… unless MacT or Lowe is reading this in which case he reminds me a lot of Ference!

86. RexLibris says:

Oddspell: I don’t want to get ahead of myself but he reminded me a lot of Petry.

Meh, trade him now.

😉

87. RexLibris says:

I can’t find the comments now, but I was very impressed with Oesterle at the Penticton tournament and suggested then that he could be a 7th D ahead of Aulie.

I’m glad they sent him to OKC as I feel he still has some room to grow, but from my perspective it seems Oesterle and Simpson are similar in some areas of how they process the game and the positives they may yet bring.

Redundancy in defensive prospects is never a bad thing and I hope that, in this case, both have NHL careers.

It is too much to hope for that they both find their way to the Oilers long-term.

88. Oddspell says:

RexLibris: So you’re saying he was soft, gave the puck away a tonne, got beat all night and played like some over-educated college kid?

Meh, trade him now.

Ha, that was my first thought on re-read. Maybe that isn’t the praise I intended!

89. Snowman says:

Oddspell,

I was actually going to mention Oesterle was like a slightly more offensively inclined Petry-lite.

90. Snowman says:

Meh, trade him now.

I bet we could get a third for him.

91. Snowman says:

You know what’s interesting (at least to me) about Oesterle. I wonder if the D prospects in OKC are better than we know. That would kind of explain Marincin not lighting the world on fire when he was down there.

I’m not familiar with their D pairings while MM was down there but I wonder if MM got the shutdown minutes. With the offensive minutes going to the puck movers. It would explain his boxcars a little bit. Does anyone know anything about that?

Maybe Nelson is all a d-prospect whisperer in addition to powerplay mastermind and Yak whisperer. I wonder if we’ll be as pleasantly surprised with the rest of the d prospects. When was the last time one of Nelson’s kids came up and was clearly not ready…

92. Pouzar says:

Snowman,

Not sure about who played the toughs in OKC but to my viewings Oesterle was boss man when it
    came to possessing the puck. The puck would always seem to be on his stick. Great passer and the head was always up on the rush.

Tonight, to my eye, it seemed that Oesterle made some really nice neutral zone type pinches. Also, he seemed to defend the blueline really well…seems to be a staple of the OKC defenders.

93. slopitch says:

I thought osterle moved the puck well but struggled when engaging anaheims big forwards. Another 40 games in the A would help him imo.

94. jp says:

kinger_OIL: JP – I’d love it if I was wrong, and your data shows me so -Just going through the yearly end of season finishes though, I’d be surprised that the conclusion is that it’s likely that teams finishing in bottom 3 will take a huge step forward and make the playoffs the next year.Yes it does happen,but realistically, take last year as a proxy:, of Edmonton, Buffalo and I think Florida: only Florida has made strides.If next year we could be Florida in terms of improvement: that’s the optimistic outcome.Or hope for crazy unsustainable luck like Colorado and go from the dumpers to near the top (and back to near the bottom the next year).So hoping for an awesome luck year is also possible….

On average bottom 3 teams improved by 16.7 points the following season (I pro-rated the 2012 lockout season to 82 GP).

7/24 (29%) of bottom 3 teams made the playoffs the following season, compared to 6/24 (25%) finishing bottom 3 again. So its about equally likely that a terrible team takes a major step forward vs. staying putrid. Still, a 30% chance of making the playoffs immediately following a lottery season was surprising to me and gives a little bit of hope.

2 years out 7/21 (33%) of teams made the playoffs, while 5/21 (24%) finished bottom 3.

3 years out 10/18 (56%) of teams made the playoffs, while only 3/18 (17%) finished bottom 3.

So overall these bad teams did make clear progress, which is kinda the point of the draft. Of course some teams also got lost in the desert and went nowhere.

It’s worth noting too that 5 of the last 6 cups have been won by teams that finished in the bottom 3 during this period (Chi X 2, LA X2 and Pitt X1). It doesn’t always work, but draft high and develop often leads to success.

I’m not saying the Oilers make the playoffs next year, but it wouldn’t all that shocking if it did happen.

95. Snowman says:

Pouzar,

Good point.He made some fantastic pinches. I don’t think he made a bad pinch the whole night. He just seems like a good all around player. I don’t expect him to play at this level forever. But he’s got a wide range of tools in his tool box and he’s got the hockey sense to use at the moments he needs to.

The thing that was equally surprising to his puck moving ability too. He was very competitive along the boards. I expected him to have a tougher time but he was pretty effective in the areas where Schultz usually shows his Schultziness.

On a side note: I’m thinking of finally putting a name on my jersey. What are everyone’s thoughts? I’m thinking maybe Smyth. Although Nuge is tempting too. I don’t think I want an 80’s Oilers jersey because I never saw them play and as many stories as I’ve heard about them I don’t really find myself that attached to any of them.

96. Snowman says:

jp,

If you remove the Oilers from that calculation how does that change the results?

97. jp says:

Snowman:
    jp,

LOL, yeah, the Oilers are doing their damndest to bring the averages down. They finished bottom 3 from 2010, 11 and 12.

Without the Oilers, teams improve on average by 18.3 Pts in year +1.
    7/21 (33%) make the playoffs, while only 4/21 (19%) re-visit the bottom 3.

Year +2, 7/18 (39%) make the playoffs, and 3/18 (17%) finish bottom 3.

In year +3, 10/16 (63%) make the playoffs, while only 2/16 (13%) finished bottom 3.

No effect on the Stanley cup winners.

98. Pouzar says:

Snowman:
    Pouzar,

Very encouraging stuff. Tough spot for the kid to come into against a Western Conf power but his Corgis roared and he looked good doing it. We sure could use some “found money”.

99. jp says:

Snowman:
    Pouzar,

Nuge is a great choice. Or Yak if you’re feeling ballsy. Worst case it becomes a collectors item.

100. Halfwise says:

Snowman:
    Pouzar,

My favorite was the guy who had number 06 and the name So Close.

Arena staff would likely not be pleased if you had number 9+ and the name Years ofSuck.

101. v4ance says:

Had a conversation with a Flames fan tonight. He asked if I believed if the Flames would make the playoffs or not. I said no. Or if they did make it, they’d only be 8th and first round fodder.

Last night, I looked ahead to the Flames sked remaining for the season. They will have 9 home and 14 away games remaining. I think red hot Minny (13home, 11 away remaining) will overtake teams and make it in. Then LA (10 home, 14 away games remain) will nudge Calgary out for the last wild card.

Saturday, April 4th. Flames in Edmonton for last game of 5 game road trip. Game 79 for the Flames. I would love it if the situation occurs where if the Oilers win, it would be the game that knocks Calgary out.

102. SwedishPoster says:

Surprised by Oesterles game too. Now he just has to keep it up for another 200 games and we’ve got ourselves an NHLer… Looked like a potential corsi monster, quickly moving the puck out of his own end and good at keeping it in the offensive zone. Fantastic skater, his ability to skate with speed backwards really impressed me, won’t be easy to just blow by him. The big question will be how well he can defend the dangerous areas and how well he contains big forwards. Looked solid on his skates and had good body positioning so did alright despite lacking in size and strength. Nice surprise despite good AHL reviews and someone to follow for sure.

A lot of young D coming up from Okc looking solid if we can churn out some top 4 and at least one top pairing guy D will go from weakness to strength. Shame D men take so long to arrive.

LaLeggia with a hell of a weekend as well.

Oh, I’ve been doing some prospect watching of late and Oesterle actually draws some similarities to Noah Hanifin. Obviously not the same upside but similar style imo. Modern D man.

103. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Numenius: pedantic/

Depends if you want accuracy or not.

The name is Germanic, so accuracy is East, not West.

/pedantic

And yet, Germany has always considered itself part of the West, Abendland (night-land, or Occident, or where the sun sets – West), vs Morgenland (Morning-land, or Orient, or where the sun rises – East).

Spengler had a word or two to say about this.

So… by letter we might go with Easterly, but by spirit by Westerly.

104. frjohnk says:

jp: Well I wasn’t trying to say it’s “likely” that a bottom 3 team will make the playoffs the next year, just that it isn’t particularly unlikely. I couldn’t find my previous post, so I looked again. I checked how the bottom 3 teams each year did the following year (and in years +2 and +3). I started after the full season lockout (2005), so there are 8 seasons (24 teams) to track in year +1, 7 seasons for +2 (21 teams), and 6 seasons for +3 (18 teams).

If we get great goaltending, we make the playoffs.
    If we get league average goaltending, we will battle for a playoff spot.
    If we get goaltending like 13-14 and 14-15 oilers goaltending, we battle for a lottery pick.

Does Montreal make the playoffs with goalies whose numbers mirror Ben Scrivens and Vikto Fasth ?

Do the Oilers make the playoffs with a goalie whose numbers mirror Carey Price?

105. frjohnk says:

Our team defense. All situations.

Scoring Chances Against Per 60 is 21st. ( Montreal is 24th)

Shots Against Per 60 is 18th ( Montreal is 22nd)

We have worst goaltending.

Montreal has the best.

We are a lottery team. Montreal is near the top.

Goaltending. Can make average teams look great/shitty.

« Older Comments