BLUES AT OILERS, G63 2014-15

One of the things the Edmonton Oilers have to do this summer is evaluate their cluster in order to make sure this is the group moving forward. It’s a gifted group but there are issues for each player:

• Taylor Hall: Can the Oilers count on him for 75 games a year? 65? Less?
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: I don’t know but people keep saying stuff.
  • Jordan Eberle: Slightly one dimensional for a $6M man.
  • Nail Yakupov: Does he belong here?
  • Justin Schultz: Can he deliver in the important role assigned?
  • Oscar Klefbom: Is he a top pairing defenseman in the making?

These are important issues and a mistake in any one area will damage this team’s chances in the future. The club has some other pieces (Pouliot with Leon and Darnell coming) but that’s the center of the cluster there. One more piece to go!

LOWETIDE TOP 30, 2015 DRAFT

1. (1)C Connor McDavid, Erie Otters (OHL) 3GP, 7-6-13 this week (!!!!)
  2. (2)C Jack Eichel, Boston U (NCAA) 3GP, 0-4-4 this week
  3. (3)R Mitch Marner, London Knights (OHL) 3GP, 3-6-9 this week
  4. (4)C Dylan Strome, Erie Otters (OHL) 4GP, 1-7-8 this week
  5. (5)D Noah Hanifin, Boston College (NCAA) 2GP, 0-0-0 this week
  6. (6) D Ivan Provorov, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) 2GP, 1-1-2 this week
  7. (8) D Zach Werenski, Michigan (NCAA) 2GP, 3-1-4 this week
  8. (7) D Oliver Kylington, Farjestad (SHL) Did not play in SHL this week
  9. (12) C Mathew Barzal, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) 3GP, 0-6-6 this week
  10. (9) C Nick Merkley, Kelowna Rockets (WHL) 3GP, 0-2-2 this week
  11. (11) C Anthony Beauvillier, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL) 3GP, 2-3-5 this week
  12. (15) C Travis Konecny, Ottawa 67’s (OHL) 4GP, 1-6-7 this week
  26. (29) L Paul Bittner, Portland Winterhawks (WHL) 3GP, 3-2-5 this week
  27. (26) R Nikita Korostelev, Sarnia Sting (OHL) 4GP, 2-2-4 this week
  28. (27) D Thomas Chabot, Saint John (QMJHL) 3GP, 1-2-3 this week
  29. (28) R Brock Boeser, Waterloo (USHL) 3GP, 1-2-3 this week
  30. (30) D Travis Dermott, Erie Otters (OHL) 3GP, 0-2-2 this week
  31. (NR) D Noah Juulsen, Everett Silvertips (WHL) 3GP, 1-1-2 this week

Some movement on the list this week, there are a bunch of players pushing for the top 10 now (9-15 is basically interchangeable at this point imo) and there’s lots of track left to go. A reminder, this is a fan’s list, relying heavily on math and those young men who control the puck at junior levels. The more I stare at this problem, the more obvious it becomes: If a forward or a defenseman lacks top-end skill in junior he’s not going to make it in the NHL.

jeff petry

CURRENT ESTIMATED TRADE VALUES

• Jeff Petry: I estimated a late second or third (No. 55 to No. 80) based on last season but it now seems (Franson and Sekera deals) we’re talking about a different pay grid for rentals this year. A lot of people are saying ‘first round pick or bust’ but that seems too bullish from here—most felt Sekera was the better player and I’m not willing to state categorically that Lombardi gave up a blue chip prospect. I’ll put the value at No. 31 to No. 60 and a distant bell prospect for Petry—and that’s very aggressive and heavily influenced by recent events. If MacT gets more than that? They still should have signed him.

We should also talk about the possibility of MacT getting squeezed out at the deadline. News this morning that John Moore may be available and  the same article quotes the Flyers as looking to sell more defensemen. There’s a chance the window closes enough to force MacT’s hand, either in getting a lesser pick or prospect or in signing his defenseman. Teams still likely interested based on what we hear: Detroit, Tampa Bay, Montreal and possibly Anaheim.

TONIGHT

The Blues typically manhandle Edmonton, home or away. The big wingers grind our Chorney’s into a fine white powder, walk away with two points and fill our IR for weeks. Bastages! I have no idea what the Blues will do at the deadline but they don’t look like Stanley winners from here. Men I’ll be watching: Klefbom, who’ll need to skate miles and keep his head up; Marincin, who faces the grittiest group of big wingers this side of the Pecos.

UP THE ANTTI

Are the Oilers going to get a goalie this deadline? They grabbed two last season and there are rumors a-foot that Chicago is making Antti Raanta available. If true, I really like the idea in that it probably means MacT isn’t planning on blowing his brains out on Antti Niemi in free agency. Stay the course, MacT, you weren’t wrong last summer it just didn’t work out. There’s a difference. Stay the course. And sign Petry, please.

352 Responses to "BLUES AT OILERS, G63 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. spoiler says:

Don’t we already have a bigger, better-looking version of Edmundson in Betker?

Musil too.

2. Klima's_Bucket says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Sorry I was referring to a film from another era.
    I must be stuck living in the glory years of the cretaceous period.
    But I will agree. Planes, Trains & Automobiles > The Land Before Time

3. Tarkus says:

Mitchell is having a Marnerrific night. Now 2 & 4 as the Knights are breaking Saginaw’s spirit 11-3 late in the second.

Platzer has a goal vs. McJesus & the Otters.

4. spoiler says:

godot10: If Zuccarello would sign for $4 million, the Rangers would sign him.He reportedly wants over $5 million.

From Brooksie’s column earlier today:

It is believed the Rangers have offered Zuccarello a five- or six-year deal worth $4.5 million per, while the winger is seeking well in excess of $5 million per, perhaps up to $5.5 million. Zuccarello may be able to clear the $5 million bar as an unrestricted free agent — or may be able to get the equivalent from a team in a no-tax state, such as Florida — but it is clear he is not going to get that to remain in New York.

5. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Sobotka mentioned by Elliotte. Too much to hope for, won’t believe it until I see it.

I’d like to believe that means he lurks your blog, too and likes our ideas. 🙂 But I think he does an excellent job of clarifying what is his speculation and what is his belief on what may happen based on real sources

6. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Sorry I was referring to a film from another era.
    I must be stuck living in the glory years of the cretaceous period.
    But I will agree. Planes, Trains & Automobiles > The Land Before Time

I remember the Land Before Time. Solid movie in its own right. And I think Planes was 1987 and Land Before Time was 1988, no? Spielberg dinosaur animated flick right? That said, whenever I hear or read “you’re going the wrong way” all I can ever think of is that scene with Steve Martin and John Candy (RIP) and my day is made immediately better. Haha

7. wheatnoil says:

I forgot Barkov was that young. Still, if Marner is >2p/g at the end of the year, that’s a #1 pick in any year but this one… or a solid contender anyways. More than Hall in his draft year.

8. spoiler says:

TSN Hockey Analytics @TSNAnalytics · 2h 2 hours ago

Fans of @CapGeek: Our friends at @war_on_ice added player salaries, a buyout calculator, free agent filters & more: http://war-on-ice.com/captools.html

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: I’d like to believe that means he lurks your blog, too and likes our ideas. But I think he does an excellent job of clarifying what is his speculation and what is his belief on what may happen based on real sources

At least Elliote is trying to help out MacT, who the rest of the league seems to perceive as an easy mark.

10. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

spoiler: From Brooksie’s column earlier today:

11. wheatnoil says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Great movie! Both of them actually!

12. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

godot10: At least Elliot is trying to help out MacT, who the rest of the league seems to perceive as an easy mark.

I’m not complaining. Big Friedman fan (who isn’t) and I’m all for improving the return

13. LoDog says:

While I am not as big on sobotka as some, I will throw my hat in nycoils ring on this one. Really works for both teams. St Louis gives up nothing off their roster and edmonton gets a much needed centre for next year while not adding anything now that might ruin their hope of coming in bottom 3.

14. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

wheatnoil:

He looks great. I’ve tried to tune in on hockeystreams when he’s playing on Oiler off nights. This draft is really incredible. A chance to be as good as 2003 I think, with the top 2 being even better than 2003

For the record, I think I was the first person who pitched the Petry for the rights to Sobotka and a pick as the next best option to signing Petry.

GODOT10 says:
    January 12, 2015 at 5:36 pm
    Jeff Petry to St. Louis for the rights to Sobotka and a 3rd round pick.
    (Quote) (Reply)
    Click to EditDelete

16. wheatnoil says:

LoDog,

Buys Drai a year in the AHL and Strome a year in junior and then a year in the minors. There’s even the odd chance they convince him to stay and Drai goes on his wing. I really shouldn’t get my hopes up just to be crushed when it’s a 3rd and a 5th in 2016.

17. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

godot10:

GODOT10 says:
    January 12, 2015 at 5:36 pm
    Jeff Petry to St. Louis for the rights to Sobotka and a 3rd round pick. (Quote)(Reply)
    Click to EditDelete

18. stush18 says:

On the sobotka front, what happens if he doesnt want to return?

Isnt trading petry for someone who might not wanna play next year a bad idea? Has he made it known he is retunring next year?

19. Dashingsilverfox says:

All the talk about acquiring Sobotka is nice but he could easily circumvent a trade to the Oilers (which he might well do) and play a minimum of 1 game in the KHL next season. He then would have to clear waivers to return to the NHL.

It’s a very risky proposition unless you are sure of his intentions.

Khaira scores, 2-0 Barons.

21. wheatnoil says:

stush18,

It’s totally a risk, but then so is a 2nd round pick. I’d say there’s a greater chance he comes back next year than the 25% chance a second rounder gives you at getting an NHL player.

22. thejonrmcleod says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Nice! I had you confused with Bruce. But on Twitter he told me he said Gordon for Sobotka, not Petry. So well done sir.Now let’s hope you’re right. Or let’s hope MacT is reading!

Yakimov scores again tonight, Simpson one of the assists. 3-0

24. Rondo says:

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun · 1m 1 minute ago
    Believe Antoine Vermette is very close to being traded to Chicago but still not done.. stay tuned

25. spoiler says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Where are the Rangers getting the cap space for even that first offer? They don’t have any because they’re overpaying Girardi, Staal, Brassard and Glass.

They have all the cap space in the world. Right now.

I would imagine they would prefer to move someone and keep their first line winger, if they can get a reasonable deal done. And once they know what the cap actually is.

26. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

And then I found this

SPEEDS says:
    July 15, 2014 at 10:47 pm
    nycoil,
    The incentive the Blues have is, if they don’t trade him and don’t want to pay him what he’s asking for, getting a return now vs waiting to potentially get a year of him as a Blue in the uncertain future.
    Say the Oilers were willing to trade Petry for Sobotka, with the idea that they sign him to a 4 year, 16M contract (details are not that important to STL, but for the sake of argument). STL could either trade for Petry as a player or a trade asset now, or wait for some time in the future when they might get a year of Sobotka, assuming he returns to the NHL.

27. Pouzar says:

See??????? Center is a strength now. 🙂

Eric Rodgers ‏@ericrsports 11m11 minutes ago
    #OKCBarons GOAL!!!! Breakaway goal by Bogdan Yakimov!!! 3-0 Barons! Assists by Simpson and Miller at 16:26.

Eric Rodgers ‏@ericrsports 15m15 minutes ago
    #OKCBarons GOAL!!!!From the slot, Jujhar Khaira rips one top shelf to make it a 2-0 lead. Hunt and C.Jones the assists at 15:59

28. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

thejonrmcleod: Don’t the Oilers already own the Blues’ 3rd round pick? Didn’t the the Blues swap their 3rd pick for the Oilers’ 4th pick as part of the Perron trade?

You’re correct, but no one except MacT and the Blues was seemingly aware of that until recently when Stauffer mentioned it this month.

29. wheatnoil says:

Rondo

Nashville, Chicago, LA, Anaheim all adding. Arms race in the west. Your move St Louis!

30. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

wheatnoil:
    Rondo

Yup, and the west is arguably more wide open with Kane hurt and LA looking a bit more vulnerable this year. St. Louis should seize this opportunity. 😉

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Woodguy,

Where are you doing these in game bets?

I use bet365

32. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: I use bet365

33. Pouzar says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m1 minute ago
    Blackhawks trade first-round pick and a prospect to Arizona for Antoine Vermette, still pending NHL trade call

34. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 22s22 seconds ago
    Massive speculation that trading of Antoine Vermette of ARI is close. CHI said to be frontrunner.

Edit- Thanks Pouzar. LeBrun trumping Bobby McKenzie.

35. Rondo says:

Dahlbeck and a first

36. jake70 says:

I said it a while back, Arizona gets McDavid, book it. Are the dozen or so fans in Glendale calling for Maloney’s head?

37. wheatnoil says:

Chicago is all in this year sans Kane. They must figure this is their year to go for it with the cap next year. They might have to blow it up a bit.

Conversely, there may be another shoe to drop if Sharp is traded.

38. Pouzar says:

I don’t think I’ve seen Brossoit get beat clean this year lol

Random Observation: I would never pick out Musil and say “man that guy is slow”. Now this is the AHL but just sayin.

39. Dashingsilverfox says:

Mitch Marner with 2G 4A 6P in a 12-3 win.

40. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Question for you all.
    Perron vs Vermette
    Who had more value in your mind?
    Who returned the better package?
    Vermette is an UFA. Perron one more year.

Does this make you feel better, worse, or the same about Perron for 1st and Klinkhammer.

41. Taro Tsujimoto says:

I dunno, the Blues look like pretty legit contenders from where I stand. Their fourth line is horribad, and I’m not sold on their goaltending tandem. But I think they are, pound for pound, one of the very best teams in the league.

I was thinking Zuccarello might be a good fit. Maybe Berglund and a pick or prospect? That’d give the Rangers a good third-liner who can play wing or center.

42. LoDog says:

Pouzar:
    I don’t think I’ve seen Brossoit get beat clean this year lol

43. Pouzar says:

Wow….what a setup by Yakimov. Comes out of the corner dekes d-man and puts a sweet backhand feed for an easy goal by Miller. Yakimov has got some mitts people.

44. Pouzar says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 26s27 seconds ago
    #Oilers prospect @drtwofive at tonight’s game, knee looked at by team staff earlier today, says injury not serious.

45. Pouzar says:

LoDog: Thanks for the updates pouzar. Now if horak was to come back that trade that was lambasted looks even better.

Liked what I saw from Horak….a lot.

46. Taro Tsujimoto says:

Chicago acquires Vermette for Dahlbeck and a 1st; deadline day is canceled.

47. spoiler says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Yup, and the west is arguably more wide open with Kane hurt and LA looking a bit more vulnerable this year. St. Louis should seize this opportunity.

I will hazard that Kane’s injury helps the Hawks’ playoff chances.

48. Rondo says:

Oilers should trade for Bill Ranford

Pouzar:
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers26s27 seconds ago

Sphincer relaxed.

50. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Sphincer relaxed.

Oilers promptly trade Petry, insert Nurse into the line up… blow a year of his ELC and anger Soo fans forever…

51. spoiler says:

Sorry, this is OIl Country. There will be no relaxing of the sphincters.

52. Pouzar says:

spoiler:
    Sorry, this is OIl Country. There will be no relaxing of the sphincters.

to loose sphincters!

*everybody drinks*

Pakarinen down. Good grief.

54. Pouzar says:

Pakarinen down. Good grief.

No weight on that sucker….damnnit.

55. wheatnoil says:

C. Hamilton finally gets his chance?

56. wheatnoil says:

Knees are the new shoulders.

57. Ice Sage says:

Pouzar: No weight on that sucker….damnnit.

Backes-tages!

58. Rondo says:

Draisaitl, Leon scores

59. TemujinBC says:

Helluva shift by Eb-Nug-Poo

Loads of possession and nifty cycling.

Has anyone mentioned how dreamy Klef is tonight?

60. Ice Sage says:

I can’t remember the last time the Edmonton Oilers lookied this sharp after a long break. (cue the soft against-flow goal)

61. Pouzar says:

Mike Johnson likes us!!!!!!!!! HE REAALLLLLY LIKES US!!!!!!!!

62. Pouzar says:

Sweet High Density Temporal Corsi save by Ben.

63. LoDog says:

Oilers looking real good so far. Shitty for park but maybe a chance for Hamilton.

64. TemujinBC says:

Blues commentators mentioned about how Yak was offered a promotion to the first line due to injuries but chose to stick with Derek Roy. Said Roy compared his time with Yak to when he centered a line with a young Afinigenov

65. Pouzar says:

Neal ‏@tweetneal 10m10 minutes ago
    Laurent Brossoit with 31 saves tonight gets his second shutout of the season. #OKCBarons win 4-0.

66. wheatnoil says:

Pouzar:
    Sweet High Intensity Temporal Corsi save by Ben.

Fixed that for you… better acronym.

67. Pouzar says:

Was that Pak on the bench?

68. wheatnoil says:

Blues have 8 2nd rnd picks in last 4 years, lots to work deal with. I believe Mactavish wants a player to be principle return not a pick.— Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) March 1, 2015

Pouzar:
    Mike Johnson likes us!!!!!!!!!HE REAALLLLLY LIKES US!!!!!!!!

This comment will never get the attention it deserves, but is brilliant.

70. TemujinBC says:

Man that’s too bad. Scrivens hung out to dry there.

Schultz looked like a pylon there as the puck went by him.

Defense-ing is a thing

71. striatic says:

Klefbom caught Jultzing on the play.

72. LoDog says:

Klef with the nightmare pass there. Dreamy factor temporarily reduced.

73. TemujinBC says:

Hard to believe the Oil only got one shot out of all that possession in the first half of the period

74. Pouzar says:

Dat first line.

75. Pouzar says:

We deserve a little better fate here. Nice period.

76. Younger Oil says:

With that win, Brossoit now has a 0.920 SV%, and a GAA of 2.46.

Vasilevskiy has a 0.917 SV% and a GAA of 2.45.

Not sure why his name keeps coming up when he isn’t necessarily better than what we have.

77. lance says:

I don’t know if this Oiler “interview” got posted here but man I laughed:

78. LMHF#1 says:

Younger Oil:
    With that win, Brossoit now has a 0.920 SV%, and a GAA of 2.46.

Vasilevskiy has a 0.917 SV% and a GAA of 2.45.

His KHL #s, NHL numbers, and lack of the OKC D. That is a deep crew.

79. sliderule says:

I am not reassured .

80. Numenius says:

Kypreos suggests Fucale might be in play for Petry. I hope not.

81. spoiler says:

Lowetide: This comment will never get the attention it deserves, but is brilliant.

Life’s like that.
    😉

82. VanOil says:

A great trade deadline would be signing Petry.

A good deadline would be Petry for Sobtaka and MPS

+ A 3d round pick for Raanta.

3 players that could make the team next year. A team that would have a god awful defense.

83. PunjabiOil says:

With that win, Brossoit now has a 0.920 SV%, and a GAA of 2.46.

Vasilevskiy has a 0.917 SV% and a GAA of 2.45.

Vasilevskiy has a longer track record (solid numbers in KHL) and is posting these numbers in the AHL at 20. He’s also been respectable at the NHL level.

Brossoit a bit of a late bloomer, never put up great numbers even in junior.

Almost similar to this guy

84. spoiler says:

Scrivens thinks he’s Marty Turco.

85. wheatnoil says:

PunjabiOil:
    With that win, Brossoit now has a 0.920 SV%, and a GAA of 2.46.

Vasilevskiy has a 0.917 SV% and a GAA of 2.45.

Vasilevskiyhas a longer track record (solid numbers in KHL) and is posting these numbers in the AHL at 20.He’s also been respectable at the NHL level.

Brossoit a bit of a late bloomer, never put up great numbers even in junior.

Almost similar to this guy

That guy’s numbers are pretty good this year… maybe we should get him.

86. jp says:

It’s really sad that the “home team” HNIC crew is doing a worse job of correctly identifying Oilers players than any US based announcers I’ve ever seen (who actually have an excuse to be clueless).

87. OilClog says:

Nuge has the edge work of a 3rd line C for sure.. For sure

88. Eustace Matthews '16 says:

Jultz responsible for a goal? An Oiler goal?

Drink double!

Nuge should get an assist on that goal.

90. VanOil says:

Yeah a goal?

91. Kitchener says:

#14: trade the bum.

92. sliderule says:

news for the flames fans Sam Bennett -4 tonite.

93. wheatnoil says:

Oilers down to 5 D don't see Mark Fayne on the bench— Bob Stauffer (@Bob_Stauffer) March 1, 2015

So… Davidson AND C. Hamilton called up?

94. jp says:

Nurse injury news on the Oilers site: http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=755711&navid=DL|EDM|home

Knee injury, is in Edmonton to get it checked out. Expects to be back playing soon.

95. Kitchener says:

OMG – ex-girlfriend in the 2nd row!

96. jp says:

wheatnoil: So… Davidson AND C. Hamilton called up?

Or whoever they get for Petry.

Aulie is still sitting around too.

97. KSC10032 says:

Is Fayne nicked too?

He’s missed the last 3 shifts. Of course the HNIC chuckleheads have not yet noticed. But I’m sure someone here has.

PS — Never mind, he’s back now.

98. Kitchener says:

KSC10032,

Everyone at HNIC is watching Ottawa. Because Ontario.

99. Kitchener says:

1-1 after 40. The Hockey Todds have stopped forsaking us.

100. striatic says:

Kitchener,

I think the Oilers are a lucky to be tied, given STL starting to come alive end of the 2nd.

101. Kitchener says:

striatic,

Exactly.

102. TemujinBC says:

First penalty call of the night.

103. striatic says:

Boyd Gordon is a damn good hockey player.

104. striatic says:

What should Edmonton be doing with Boyd Gordon, the asset?

If he’s leaving after next season, shouldn’t they move him now? Maximize the return like they ought to have with Perron?

105. Kitchener says:

striatic,

The asset’s absolute value is difficult to peg:

– if they keep him: morale improves, the jacks & kings roll with confidence that the 4th line works
    – if they trade him: they get some future asset in return

The timing is not difficult to evaluate: trading Gordon would tell everyone on the team that next year doesn’t count.

I would 100% keep him and try to re-sign him next season. Lander *might* be ready for Gordon’s job in 18 months, but he is not ready for the job in 6 months.

106. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

goaltending. it’s a thing.

hate watching these 60mph change ups go in.

107. LMHF#1 says:

My neighbour played some hockey with Scrivens in junior. Said he’s always been anxious when he isn’t totally locked in. That’s the result. Shame. He’s been good tonight.

108. wheatnoil says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    goaltending. it’s a thing.

hate watching these 60mph change ups go in.

109. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

wheatnoil: In fairness, Scrivens made a number of saves this period that were of the top-notch variety. That said… yeah… goaltending.

110. Kitchener says:

McWin tonight and we’re looking at #4OV at worst. (Marner)

111. striatic says:

He also made a series of early-season-esque puck handling blunders behind the net that led to sustained STL pressure throughout the period.

112. book¡je says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Oh, I agree. He just has a habit of letting in a softie after making some good saves. Lapse in concentration or what, I don’t know. Luongo had the same issue for a while except he was more elite in the interim between soft goals. But it’s deflating to a team.

Dubnyk did the same thing, those damn softies. Everyone always talked about how terrible of a goalie he was because of those softies.

113. TemujinBC says:

The eight year old just recognized Reign in Blood being played during that stoppage in play.

If that’s bad parenting then I don’t want to be a good parent

114. RicaGreaser says:

I’ll take that all day considering our Petrylessness. A spirited McEicheling to warm the cockles.

115. Numenius says:

That was close and there was a good effort. I’m fine losing games like this against good teams at the end of this season.

116. striatic says:

book¡je: Kind of makes you wonder though, maybe they are not really softies and perhaps the team is doing something wrong?

they were softies AND the team was/is doing something wrong.

Dubnyk had problems after he left Edmonton, playing on teams with solid defences. Dubnyk needed a solid defence in front of him before he improved, but he also needed to become a better goaltender through better coaching.

117. striatic says:

Exciting second to last place hockey.

118. Eustace Matthews '16 says:

119. RexLibris says:

Is it too much to hope that MacTavish gets Barbashev for Petry and then claims Paajarvi off waivers?

It’d be like the trade never happened…except we have an extra 1st round pick and a Klinkhammer.

Too much? Fine, then I’ll just spend my evening looking falling stars upon which to wish.

120. Bad Seed says:

TemujinBC,

Hold on a minute. Those nerds actually played Slayer? I thought a soccer mom was in charge of the tunes at Rexall.

121. striatic says:

Eustace Matthews ’16: Don’t know how you can only talk about goaltending with only one goal in support.

agreed that the goaltending on the other side was pretty solid.

122. TemujinBC says:

Bad Seed,

Should have been Ke$ha !

123. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Eustace Matthews ’16:

I wasn’t blaming Scrivens for the loss, just for a bad goal. Is that wrong or?

124. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Bad Seed:
    TemujinBC,

Hold on a minute.Those nerds actually played Slayer?I thought a soccer mom was in charge of the tunes at Rexall.

Definitely a much better DJ this year. Not hard to beat last year’s, who was the worst in the league by a long shot.

125. Eustace Matthews '16 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Is it wrong to blame him for two goals against, vs a top western team? He also made some good saves.

How many 1 – 0 games do you expect the oilers to win?

126. wheatnoil says:

"He's leaps and bounds ahead of where he was… This summer will be important. He's got to get stronger." – Coach Nelson on Marincin— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) March 1, 2015

Also, Nelson confirms that Pak won’t be back for awhile.

127. Bad Seed says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

We’ve been the worst for a long time, I think.

As PJOil says, it’s quite sad actually.

128. Numenius says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: I wasn’t blaming Scrivens for the loss, just for a bad goal. Is that wrong or?

I didn’t think the goal was so bad. Stastny said afterwards that quick backhands like that are deceptive, which is why he did it. It wasn’t just a run-of-the mill save to make.

129. Snowman says:

That top line was damn fine tonight. I hope they keep Pou up there even when Hall gets back. Time to spread the wealth. That line works and a healthy Hall with 2015 Yak could be a danger if they get some chemistry. How’d you like a top six of Nuge, Drai, Pou, Ebs, Yak, Hall in 2 or 3 years time?

On the back end you have Klef, Schulz, Nurse. There are the makings of a good team here. Just not this year or next year obviously.

Also, with Sobotka, would he come back to play for the Oilers… honestly… would he?

130. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Eustace Matthews ’16:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

How many1 – 0 games do you expect the oilers to win?

I am not blaming him for two goals against. I blamed him for the one soft goal. I expect the Oilers to win zero 1-0 games. My comment wasn’t about Scrivens costing them the game. It was a comment that he has a habit of letting in soft goals from time to time. Yes all goalies do, but Scrivens lets in more than his share.

131. TemujinBC says:

Snowman,

You would think that Hall-Roy-Yak should push the river so far it causes droughts.

132. PunjabiOil says:

Money takes care of everything.g

He would the be ideal return on the Petry trade.

Itt’s obvious the Oilers have a way to go, but there is some modicum of progression under Nelson. I think he has the ability to extract more production out of his players than Eakins did. Further, we shouldn’t discount special teams, which were consistently a mess under Eakins.

The more I think of it, the more I want one of Strome or Marner. Oilers in a bit of a dilema – finishing 29th should be viewed more favourable than 28th, given you get a 33% chance at Eichel – but what happens if you fall to 3rd OV in the draft? Presents alot of debate on whether to take Hanifin or one of Strome/Marner.

I think you could reasonably argue Strome/Marner/Hanifin all better prospects than Reinhart/Draisaitl/Bennett. So in that sense, the Oilers are ”fortunate” because these pieces will the difference makers in the upcoming years. There are teams in the pacific division that are in the downtrend phase, and the Oilers absolutely should push the gas pedal this off-season and take advantage of such.

133. Магия 10 says:

If Oilers are 3rd last, the chances to jump to #1 aren’t that different from the old rules:
    now 11.5% instead of 14.2%.

The big change is that the chance of dropping to #4 jumped:
    now 55% instead of roughly 30%.

134. SwedishPoster says:

“You get no inside ice now,” Hitchcock said. “You get no inside ice. They don’t chase tired. You get them in their zone and you keep possession, but they don’t chase. They leave you on the outside and it’s hard to get second and third chances. The chances we got were original chances, but if you look at the game I don’t think we had three second chances. It’s because they step on you. They keep you to the outside, they don’t overcommit and they don’t get caught with chasing contact so you might have possession but you’re not really accomplishing very much.”

This rhymes pretty well with what we’ve seen this last few weeks and might explain why Nelsons team looks better and wins more than Eakins despite the corsi advantage.

Solid effort last night, at least defensively, on the offensive side the only line really going was the first, the Roy line only had spare moments and with the lack of offensive quality on the other lines the team as a whole struggle to create chances.
    Shame that Pak is likely out for a while, it actually hurt the offense a bit since he’s usually good for a couple of looks every game and adds at least some offense to the bottom six, with him out there’s really noone who’s a consistent threat in the bottom 6, Gordon is good for the occasional wrap around and Hendricks has bursts of offense at times but Pak usually does something offensively on a nightly basis.
    Let’s see who gets the nod, likely Curtis Hamilton but I actually hope they give Miller a shot, he’s been good all year in the A and we might as well see what we got there. I wouldn’t mind sending Ryan Hamilton down and give both guys a look. R.Hamilton hasn’t gotten much done the last few games though I’ll give him credit for being smart defensively and really playing to his ability. But let’s be honest, he’s clearly in over his head in the NHL. For a few games he can keep up on adrenaline and work ethic but eventually it gets obvious. Great guy to have as depth in the AHL and I don’t mind them resigning him at all since he can come up and not be a defensive liability.

135. Bruce McCurdy says:

PunjabiOil: Brossoit a bit of a late bloomer, never put up great numbers even in junior.

Not sure what you define as “great numbers”, but Brossoit was a tremendous junior. Played in some remote outpost named Edmonton, but luckily I got to see him play a time or two despite that fact and he looked pretty darned good.

Brossoit posted .914 and .917 his last 2 regular seasons as a junior, and was .933 and .935 during two runs to the league finals those two years. He was playoff MVP in 2012, and his team was #1 in the league in GA the following season.

136. Bruce McCurdy says:

jp:

I like Paul Romanuk, but I shake my head. By my count all three members of the Wagon Line got mistaken for all three members of the first line.

Klinkhammer = Pouliot
    Gordon = Eberle
    Hendricks = RNHFFS

137. Bruce McCurdy says:

striatic: they were softies AND the team was/is doing something wrong.

Which teams were those? Nashville? (2 games) Montreal? (0 games) Ar-ar-ar-ar-arizona?

138. Bruce McCurdy says:

SwedishPoster: We’ve been discussing back and forth about the differences between the Eakins and Nelson coached Oilers. This quote by Hitchcock, he of almost 700 wins and still one of the top coaches in the NHL, adds the perspective of the teams facing the Oil:

Excellent, thank you for this.

139. PhrankLee says:

Hey guys! Back from overseas in time to watch the game last night. So Petry is the most valuable trade deadline d-man right now. I think a second rounder is an improvement on what anyone has offered us so far. Take it. In this draft a second rounder for Petry is high praise. That would give us 6 picks in the top 90.

140. frjohnk says:

Scanning through one of the games on center ice last night, I happened to watch two American commentators talk about Petry in the intermission.

Paraphrasing ” The oilers wont get a return like some of the other D man have brought their former teams because the teams that were willing to overpay are gone. Petry does not have much offense and his plus minus is one of the worst in the league.”

I wouldn’t agree with the 2nd and 3rd points, but I bet there are teams who are definitely in that boat and I think if we are expecting a return like the Canes got for Sekara we could be disappointed.

141. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

frjohnk,

19.95 vs. 20.00 scenario.

Yzerman doesn’t pay for rentals. Who is left? Anaheim, Montreal, Boston, St. Louis. And a lot of supply is coming on the market from Arizona and Ottawa etc.

142. Ben says:

If the Oil get the rights for Sobotka today, do they dangle Gordon tomorrow?

RNH-Roy-Sobotka-LD-Lander ok to start up the middle next year?

Flip Gordon for a 2nd, package that with Pit’s 1st for a Dman at the draft. Presto. Team fixed. Instant playoffs. Cup next year. Eternal glory. You’re welcome.

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Question for you all.
    Perron vs Vermette
    Who had more value in your mind?
    Who returned the better package?
    Vermette is an UFA. Perron one more year.

Vermette is a C who plays the toughs with a slight negative RelCor and put up 1.59pts/60 this year.

That player has a lot more value than an offensive winger with a questionable defensive game and who’s RelCor was negative as well when traded (positive now, playing with 87)

Makes me fairly happy with the trade.

Rental market is really expensive this year.

Snowman,

If his rights are on the table you pick up a phone and ask him.

145. wheatnoil says:

Some of the extra D flooding the market (in the rumour mill anyways) might be due to high rental cost this deadline. Teams see D going for a 1st and they float their own D out there to see what they can get. That doesn’t mean that they’re legitimately being shopped.

That said, MacT does have to be careful not to overplay his hand… with Philly likely wanting to trade another D (though possibly not till the draft), and other tanking teams selling off left, right, and center.

146. wheatnoil says:

I joined twitter for almost the sole purpose of tracking when Petry gets traded. It adds to the excitement. 🙂

For this reason alone I expect it to be entirely underwhelming, leading MacT to overplay his hand, find no takers, leaving Petry untraded at the deadline and also unsigned so the Oilers lose him for nothing. Damn you Oilers… I didn’t use to be a pessimist!

Ben:
    If the Oil get the rights for Sobotka today, do they dangle Gordon tomorrow?

RNH-Roy-Sobotka-LD-Lander ok to start up the middle next year?

Flip Gordon for a 2nd, package that with Pit’s 1st for a Dman at the draft.Presto. Team fixed. Instant playoffs. Cup next year. Eternal glory. You’re welcome.

Elite teams don’t have cap room for Gordon next year. $3 million is a lot for a #3.5 centre, especially with the constrained cap. So Gordon will have more value or as much value at the trade deadline next year as this year.

Keep all five. Nugent-Hopkins, Sobotka, Roy, Gordon, Lander with Draisaitl in the AHL. And it gives the Oilers a stronger case to draft Marner over Strome if Hanifan is gone.

#JustSayNoah

New post is up.

149. Lois Lowe says:

LoDog:
    Klef with the nightmare pass there. Dreamy factor temporarily reduced.

Slight dip in his dreamy/60. He was bound to have a slight regression to the meat.

150. PunjabiOil says:

Bruce – line in sand is >. 920 being great.

Furthermore, Jarry had. 936 in the year LB had. 917.

I don’t think too many expected him to be a legitimate prospect

151. Bruce McCurdy says:

PunjabiOil:
    Bruce – line in sand is >. 920 being great.

Furthermore, Jarry had. 936 in the year LB had. 917.

I don’t think too many expected him to be a legitimate prospect

Back to back playoffs of .933 and .935 don’t cut it, eh? Alrighty then.

I will say that *I* expected LB to be a legit prospect. At that point that’s all he is, but he is pretty promising.

152. PunjabiOil says:

Back to back playoffs of .933 and .935 don’t cut it, eh?

Somewhat, though can’t get too warped around a smaller sample size, especially playing on a powerhouse like the Oil Kings.

It’s like Fucale and the world juniors. Means little in the broader context, IMO.

Having that said, you saw him in person more often then most, so if you were high on him, good on you.

« Older Comments