MONDAY, MONDAY (CAN’T TRUST THAT DAY)

The Edmonton Oilers began their deadline with the Perron trade, setting up another season (2015-16) chasing that elusive turn north and continuing on their “Donner party” decision making. MacT received a valuable piece (first-round pick) in the Perron deal and is now looking to add to the draft picks available to him for selection or trade this summer.

OILERS CURRENT (ESTIMATED) DRAFT PICKS 2015

• No. 2 overall
  • No. 22 overall (Pittsburgh selection)
  • No. 32 overall
  • No. 69 overall (Ottawa selection)
  • No. 92 overall
  • No. 122 overall
  • No. 152 overall
  • No. 182 overall

I wonder if they’ll attempt to combine the Pittsburgh selection with the Petry pick to move up? If Stracha falls? I think it’s possible.

LOWETIDE TOP 10, 2015

1. 1)C Connor McDavid, Erie Otters (OHL)
  2. (2)C Jack Eichel, Boston U (NCAA)
  3. (3)R Mitch Marner, London Knights (OHL)
  4. (4)C Dylan Strome, Erie Otters (OHL)
  5. (5)D Noah Hanifin, Boston College (NCAA)
  6. (6) D Ivan Provorov, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
  7. (8) D Zach Werenski, Michigan (NCAA)
  8. (7) D Oliver Kylington, Farjestad (SHL)
  9. (12) C Mathew Barzal, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
  10. (9) C Nick Merkley, Kelowna Rockets (WHL)

I’d bet the Oilers list has Hanifin at No. 3 and then Strome, Marner and Crouse—something like that. If they do take Hanifin at No. 3, it might be possible to trade up into the teens to grab a useful forward—someone like Jansen Harkins might be a good fit. MacKenzie Blackwood is the goalie they’ll target, probably with the pick at No. 32 overall.

CURRENT ESTIMATED TRADE VALUES

• Jeff Petry: I have the value at No. 31 to No. 60 plus a distant bell prospect.
      • Boyd Gordon: I’ll say No. 50 to No. 75 but he isn’t available.
      • Derek Roy: Tough to say but there’s such a lack of skill this deadline I’ll say No. 61 to No. 90.
      • Teddy Purcell: I’ll guess No. 70 to No. 100 if he’s available.
      • Matt Hendricks: Based on the current climate, a pick from No. 75 to No. 100 might be possible.
      • Andrew Ference: The prices for blue are crazy. Could Edmonton get a pick in the range of No. 91 to No. 120 for Ference?

This list will probably get blown out of the water—Brett Connolly fetched two second-round picks this morning—but it remains to be seen if Craig MacTavish can get value out of this deadline. He got a third and a fifth for Ales Hemsky last season, my bet is it’s a second-round pick and a prospect for Petry. We wait.

I’m honored to be part of TSN1260’s draft coverage beginning at 10 this morning, Dave Jamieson, Jason Strudwick and Dean Millard will also be on the panel. Lots of trades, Oilers focused and hope you can tune in! I’ll update the blog as I’m able.

498 Responses to "MONDAY, MONDAY (CAN’T TRUST THAT DAY)"

« Older Comments
  1. hunter1909 says:

8p0intgame:
    Klima’s_Bucket,

When I first saw Jordyn’s letter, I thought to myself “I had better penmanship and spelling in the first grade.” Then I remembered some kids struggle more with spelling than others. I had a friend that spelt “stoned” with a “w” and, amazingly, he wasn’t on drugs at the time. He made a lot of other spelling mistakes but he caught a lot of flak for stoned with a w so that’s the best and only example that comes to mind.

At first I was hoping to be all “kids today” until I remembered a letter I wrote at age 10. In fact, it’s a pretty decent letter for a little kid.

2. PunjabiOil says:

Raider Jesse ‏@EdmontonRaider 44m44 minutes ago

MacT is on fricken glue. He called his scouts out as the reason we suck, and now touts his upcoming picks as a reason to be excited.

3. Pouzar says:

McSorley33:
    Still defenders of Mac T and his transactions……wow.

Meanwhile, plaudits continue for Montreal – even here in Winnipeg about the nice pickup on Petry.

Gotta keep that Ference trade value up!

4. pocession charge says:

vinotintazo:
    Rational Zealot,

He did admitted we’re 4 to 3 pieces away from being a tean fighting for a Playoff spot.

Need 2C, 1D, 2D, 1G Imo.

Just need the four most difficult positions to obtain impact players (without creating any other holes in the lineup) and we’re a team fighting for a playoff spot.

This organization is in a tailspin that is nearly impossible to pull out of.

5. GCW_69 says:

AZOIL: Seriously, in one breath half of you all say you need to shut your yap MacT, don’t tell them the truth, talk players up so we can trade them and now you all dump on the guy for saying a few talking points, because that’s all they are.

If he wants to trade any of those guys this summer or not paint himself into a corner he has to say that stuff.

Here is a novel concept. He could just shut up. Stick to the facts. Get put.

“we traded Jeff Petry today. It’s unfortunate but we didn’t share the same vision going forward. We recognize that leaves a big hole in our defence. Some of our young players are going to get a chance to show us what they can do. However, we will seek any opportunities to improve the blue line beginning from the end of the season. We won’t gift this spot to anyone.

Questions? “

6. Numenius says:

PunjabiOil: “I’m confident going forward with Oscar, Justin, Nikita, Andrew and Fayne.” MacT on Oilers blueline. #Oilers

I can understand that under the circumstances you have to support your players.

But not mentioning Marincin in that group, a group that includes Ference and Nikitin, is incredible. Marincin is such a huge blind spot for McT. He’s the new Petry.

Though maybe he meant he’s confident in that group’s ability to tank for the rest of the season.

7. Rational Zealot says:

GCW_69,

Oh, please. Why don’t you just admit that no matter what he does you won’t be happy? We all know this to be the case, so stop pretending. If he said those words (which are fine words) you would find some reason to complain about it.

8. oliveoilers says:

Does MacT know you can get British baked beans is Wally-World now for $1.57?

They’re magic, at least to me.

Beans on toast (skinheads on a raft, as my dad called them) were a sadly necessary staple for a lot us growing up.

What’s the bets that MacT is just oblivious. That he got his business done early this morning, patted himself on the back and gave himself an early finish with a trip to the spa.

9. oliveoilers says:

GCW_69,

“We won’t gift this spot to anyone.”

If he could say that with a straight face, then I say run for president.

10. hunter1909 says:

pocession charge: This organization is in a tailspin that is nearly impossible to pull out of.

Kevin Lowe running things = Having a drunk on bourbon Jack D. Ripper as acting co-pilot on Slim’s B-52.

11. Jordan says:

Sad thought of the day.

People spend hundreds of hours here thinking about and criticizing the work done by entitled millionaires on a game that grosses hundreds of millions of dollars internationally on an annual basis.

They have no power to influence the decisions, but do so “for the love of their team”.

I wish there was as much love and devotion to politics in this country (and especially this province) as there was love for hockey. Might make a big difference for things that matter off the ice. Hell, maybe some of that thought might actually change the people making the decisions.

12. Ducey says:

G Money: Again, a false dichotomy.The issue isn’t whether he offered the same, that’s silly.It’s whether he offered more than Montreal.

It is: given Coburn fetches a 1st, a 3rd, and a prospect, is it implausible that Yzerman might have offered more than a 2nd and a 5th for Petry?

Answer: no.

In fact, when you look at the context of other trades (a 2nd and a 4th for Timonen?Are you fucking kidding me?), you have to ask yourself this:

Which is more likely:
    – that NO GM offered more than a 2nd and a 5th for Petry, or
    – that MacT screwed up some aspect of his timing or his negotiating and was left with a sub-optimal return?

If you are arguing the first over the second, that’s where you start to stretch the bounds of plausibility.

Coborn > Petry by some distance. Coborn has another year on his contract, is bigger, much tougher, has playoff experience, was a former 8th overall pick, and Yzerman would no doubt be pretty familiar with him with him playing in the east. He is someone you can project to do well in the Playoffs.

In fact, why would Yzerman settle for Petry if he could get Coborn?? I sure the hell wouldn’t if I was going to the playoffs. And this is something you don’t undertstand: Petry was likely the second or third choice of some GM’s. Once they go with their 1st choice (say Coborn) it doesn’t set the bar for Petry, it eliminates that trading partner. That reduces the price.

You assume that MacT is stupid and mishandled this with no knowledge of the offers he had, the options he had, how other GM’s valued Petry, etc. In other words its complete speculation. In fact, it is speculation that flies in the face of the fact that everyone in the last week said Petry would not get a 1st, and Rishaug saying that a 1st was never offered.

In short, its likely that MacT did not act against his own self interest. Its likely that he did not get anything better.

13. jake70 says:

Wow, Gregor is just ripping Nikitin. (being out of shape at camp)

14. rich says:

Love that Gregor is ripping MacT on his comments on Nikitin (and sorry if this has already been covered in comments here).

Signed the man for $4.5 million a year, and then says the guy didn’t come to camp in the best condition.

If you’re going to go revisionist and say he was hurt and that’s why, then you are a freaking idiot for signing him for that in the first place.

MacT is so out of his league. Man should shut his mouth before he digs his grave with the fans any deeper.

It’s obvious Katz and Lowe will never call him to accountability so it’s left to the fans and media to tell him he’s clueless.

15. McSorley33 says:

G Money,

What condemns MacT is his inability to put together a vaguely balanced roster, and his inability to value his players and other players (e.g. Petry vs Nikitin/Ference).
    The checkered history of trades is just a moldy pickle beside the main course of shit sandwich.
    ***************************************************************************************************
    Well done sir.

16. Jesse says:

Jordan:
    Sad thought of the day.

I wish there was as much love and devotion to politics in this country (and especially this province) as there was love for hockey.Might make a big difference for things that matter off the ice.Hell, maybe some of that thought might actually change the people making the decisions.

Glad you brought this up. I’ve also got a lot of ideas on religion that I’d like to discuss here…

17. pocession charge says:

Rational Zealot:
    Oh, for god sakes.What do you expect him to say?The team is terrible as are all the players?

You know what that would do.Kill future trade value.That thing you all seem to think he did with Petry.

This is my point, you guys are criticizing out of both sides of your mouth.

There is plenty of terrible here without acting ridiculous.

I think the problem is that MacT truly believes the things he says….it is not to create a positive spin.

For example, he said he was comfortable with the center group he had going into training camp and did not address the glaring deficiencies. Now he says that he is confident with the defensive group that he has going into next season. As it stands, that is (again) the worst defence in the NHL — and he will not likely upgrade because he believes that Nikitin, Ference, and Jultz are all better than they are. Also, as much as I like Klefbom, he is not ready for the quality of opposition that he will be tasked with handling next year.

MacT just isn’t a good GM.

18. GCW_69 says:

Rational Zealot:
    GCW_69,

Oh, please.Why don’t you just admit that no matter what he does you won’t be happy?We all know this to be the case, so stop pretending.If he said those words (which are fine words) you would find some reason to complain about it.

If he said “I resign” I would be happy.

I don’t think you have paid attention to what I say about MacT. When he does good moves I give him props for it. Fayne, for example. Unloading Horcoff’s contract for another. Gordon signing for another. But his bad moves and the stupid things he says are so bad it’s almost unbelievable.

If he suddenly turned around and started doing smart things I would reluctantly acknowledge them. Just so far, I don’t have to worry about that very often.

19. Hammers says:

Unicorns:
    I wonder specifically what it is GM’s don’t like about Petry that they would about Sekera etc?

Points & plus minus .. Don’t think GM’s still consider + – because they do . Truth is once no deal was made over the last 10 days Petry fell right back to his true value a 2nd or 3rd . Actually LT was as close to dead on as he could get . When will we all accept the Best “D” on a 30th place team is probably a 4-5-6 on any of the top 15-20 teams . Some exceptions . Sekra & Coburn are better and we must face it .

20. RexLibris says:

Hmm, NHL.com appears to have been hacked by Dave Nonis.

League standings have Toronto 29th overall with 55 points.

Behind Edmonton (46), Carolina (55) and Arizona (47).

Poor Leafs, they shall not out-tank the Maestros of Misery in Maloney, Murray and MacTavish!

21. rickithebear says:

PunjabiOil:
    Raider Jesse ‏@EdmontonRaider 44m44 minutes ago

So raider Jesse is on Glue.

Pre 2008 Players on roster.
    EIG/Pendegast
    Zero

Veteran depth? Mact Scouts bad.
    but in reality Klowe/Tambo bad!

Tambo/SM

Muir 13 NCAA
    Betker 13 CHL
    Chase 13 CHL
    Draisatl 14 CHL
    lagesson 14 USHL
    nagelvoort 14 NCAA

I am quite happy with SM

Jesse less glue more homework!

22. oliveoilers says:

Jordan:
    Sad thought of the day.

Bugger of back to LEGOLAND.

(Sorry about the caps, it auto-corrects to it)

23. spoiler says:

Randy Sportak @SUNRandySportak · 3m 3 minutes ago

#flames Mark Giordano will have surgery for a torn biceps tendon.

24. RexLibris says:

Randy Sportak ‏@SUNRandySportak 3m3 minutes ago

#flames Mark Giordano will have surgery for a torn biceps tendon.

25. RexLibris says:

spoiler:
    Randy Sportak @SUNRandySportak·3m 3 minutes ago

#flames Mark Giordano will have surgery for a torn biceps tendon.

Great minds think alike.

And we do, too.

26. spoiler says:

Also from Sportak…

#Flames GM Treliving said Baertschi’s agent had asked for a trade and said he had no intention of re-signing with the team.

27. RexLibris says:

rickithebear,

I think he was calling out MacTavish on the hypocrisy of the statement when taken in context of the rest of what he has said thus far this year.

At least that’s how I interpreted it.

28. spoiler says:

oliveoilers: Dude, it’s a fucking hockey blog site. I’m sure there’s a political equivalent one somewhere.

How does that change his sentiment?

I do think he is over-estimating the number of people who follow hockey closely, though.

29. oliveoilers says:

Some weeks ago, I was rightly chastised for calling MacT stupid.

I acknowledged he isn’t stupid, but did add the caveat that if he did stupid things, then I would call those things stupid.

Today was a stupid day.

Mr MacTavish, tear down your wall!

30. book¡je says:

Jordan:
    Sad thought of the day.

Talking about Alberta Politics is also just rambling on about things that don’t really matter in the scheme of things about a bunch of people too wealthy and uninformed for their own good.

Unless you are talking about dealing with issues of famine, water borne diseases, and military atrocities I think we can all agree that you are totally wasting away your life.

31. RexLibris says:

spoiler:
    Also from Sportak…

Yeah, some Flames fans are kicking him out the door now. Fair bit of anger over that.

There was a time when some Flames fans believed he could/would surpass Hall as an offensive winger.

As LT is wont to say, prospects will break your heart.

32. Rational Zealot says:

GCW_69: If he said “I resign”I would be happy.

I don’t think you have paid attention to what I say about MacT.When he does good moves I give him props for it.Fayne,for example.Unloading Horcoff’s contract for another.Gordon signing for another. But his bad moves and the stupid things he says are so bad it’s almost unbelievable.

If he suddenly turned around and started doing smart things I would reluctantly acknowledge them. Just so far,I don’t have to worry about that very often.

And yet was the Fayne signing a good one? In comparison to Nikitin, it is good. But was it good?

This team is a disaster. We all get that. I said before MacTavish was hired that I could foresee to scenario in which they made the playoffs. I still think that.

That said, we could all use some more humility in our criticisms, especially when they require suppositions such as “he should have been able to get more for Petry.” How do we know that? There is no way to know that.

So this team is not going to make the playoffs this year, or next year, or the year after that, or maybe ever. We all know that. But we should be more circumspect as to why. Some of it is choosing the wrong players but most of it is that the players they have were never good enough and there weren’t any other players to choose from.

33. book¡je says:

spoiler: How does that change his sentiment?

34. RexLibris says:

Okay, deadline day over.

Now, it’s Arizona vs Edmonton for the 29th overall spot.

Just like in the old WHA days!

Except this time it’s, um, for the opposite of the Avco Cup.

Because we both suck really badly and while the old Jets are trying to make themselves worse intentionally in order to rebound with their solid defense corps the Oilers believe they are better than they are and will rebuild around their impact players all of whom are already playing in the NHL and contributing to this depressingly poor season and…oh for the love of…I wish this was like that Justin Timberlake movie where I could just glance at my forearm and count down the number of minutes left until I’m dead.

35. spoiler says:

book¡je: I don’t think it does, but it does seem a little silly to lament that people are discussing hockey on a hockey blog site.

36. Rational Zealot says:

RexLibris:
    Okay, deadline day over.

Now, it’s Arizona vs Edmonton for the 29th overall spot.

Just like in the old WHA days!

Except this time it’s, um, for the opposite of the Avco Cup.

I think this is right. MacTavish’s failure is that he didn’t realize that the rebuild had to start over. It still needs to start over, because it was all wrong from the get go.

The other problem is that he thinks teams are built with recipes. Instead, it should just be about adding good players until you have twenty of them.

37. Dashingsilverfox says:

Rational Zealot: And yet was the Fayne signing a good one?In comparison to Nikitin, it is good. But was it good?

This team is a disaster.We all get that.I said before MacTavish was hired that I could foresee to scenario in which they made the playoffs.I still think that.

That said, we could all use some more humility in our criticisms, especially when they require suppositions such as “he should have been able to get more for Petry.”How do we know that?There is no way to know that.

So this team is not going to make the playoffs this year, or next year, or the year after that, or maybe ever.We all know that. But we should be more circumspect as to why.Some of it is choosing the wrong players but most of it is that the players they have were never good enough and there weren’t any other players to choose from.

Wasn’t Garth Snow “choosing” from substantially the same pool of players?

38. RexLibris says:

Calgary Flames ‏@NHLFlames 9m9 minutes ago

Giordano will be out for the remainder of the season. The estimated recovery time is 4-5 months.

39. oliveoilers says:

spoiler: How does that change his sentiment?

Are you serious, Spoils?

Why don’t I just monologue about how people can take this seriously on this ‘here’ (his words, referring to this site) while there’s such inequality in the world, with poverty and disease running rampant in Africa, escalating religiously motivated violence in the Middle East and climate change.

Why I asked? BECAUSE IT’S A EFFIN’ HOCKEY BLOG WITH THE OCCASIONAL AWESOME TIPS ON HOW TO COOK A GREAT STEAK, WHICH SCOTCH IS GOOD FOR BEGINNERS AND SOME GENERAL INTEREST THROWN IN.

You can play the ethical/moral blackmail BS somewhere where it is pertinent. Or rather he can. Unless he’s actually Jordan Eberle.

Now, do you hate MacT or not?

40. hunter1909 says:

spoiler: Well, he isn’t, so maybe that’s why it seems silly. He’s lamenting that the same time and effort doesn’t go into political discussion amongst the general public… Do people even read other people’s posts here?

Why not go all in and talk about overpopulation? Or at very least, overdevelopment of the limited earth’s environment, which has in effect created a new geological age inside a 50 year span?

41. oliveoilers says:

Bingo.

Your reply to Jordan was also better than mine.

It’s been a tense few days. Everyone’s a little tired, everyone’s a little wired.

42. GCW_69 says:

Fayne was a good signing. But, he needs an puck mover to ay on the left side with him to be effective. MacT gave him Nikitin.

There weren’t any other players to chose from is a supposition. We don’t know that either. I do watch what other GMs do and believe that in fact there were other players to chose from.

Example – you are the Boston GM. You have a choice to trade Boychuk for two second round picks. One set from an Islanders team that is a year out of the playoffs and has Tavares returning to the line up, and is in your conference so Boychuk can haunt you during the season and the play offs. The other choice is Edmonton. Who would you trade with?

43. book¡je says:

spoiler: I am not sure where I mentioned private schools?

44. Rondo says:

Will Oilers try to sign Petry in the summer?

45. spoiler says:

oliveoilers: Are you serious, Spoils?

Why I asked?BECAUSE IT’S A EFFIN’ HOCKEY BLOG WITH THE OCCASIONAL AWESOME TIPS ON HOW TO COOK A GREAT STEAK, WHICH SCOTCH IS GOOD FOR BEGINNERS AND SOME GENERAL INTEREST THROWN IN.

You can play the ethical/moral blackmail BS somewhere where it is pertinent.Or rather he can.Unless he’s actually Jordan Eberle.

Now, do you hate MacT or not?

Straw man. He doesn’t criticize this site, or love for hockey, nor does he accuse anyone here of taking this “too seriously”. Nor is he saying this blog should be a forum for politics. And yet these seem to be the accusations against him.

He simply wishes there was as much passion for politics in Canada as there was for hockey. Fairly fair observation, IMO, perhaps a bit over-stated, your mileage may vary… but there was certainly no reason to criticize this simple whimsical lament on a board whose topics are far more wide-ranging than you characterize. It’s not like Jordan has a history of doing it, or went off on a long-winded tirade. Show a little generosity of spirit, people. Please.

46. hunter1909 says:

book¡je: I assumed that as the alternative to public schools – I suppose they could hire a tutor, but again, some parents might prefer the public school option.

It’s so nice when children learn how to relate to one another.

47. book¡je says:

G Money:
    Dashingsilverfox,

book¡je,

The analogy was made earlier to poker.It was derided, but I think that was unfair.The skills and strategy that go into the psychology of poker help in negotiating too.

For some reason, I just have this really strong feeling MacT is not a good poker player.

I think it depends how the argument is used. The presumed notion is that the buyer has a set upper value on the player and you can’t drive that value higher by bluffing (I would agree basically with that statement), however the buyer is also seeking to get the asset at the lowest possible price which may be far below their own valuation of it. If they think you as a seller have no options, then it’s a buyers market and they set the price. However, if you think the seller has an option that is close to, but below, your top price, then you may be willing make a larger offer.

48. spoiler says:

book¡je: With that said, I wonder what the intelligence is between teams in terms of knowing what other teams are or are not offering.

That’s the asymmetry I was getting at earlier.

49. hunter1909 says:

spoiler: Straw man. He doesn’t criticize this site, or love for hockey, nor does he accuse anyone here of taking this “too seriously”. Nor is he saying this blog should be a forum for politics.And yet these seem to be the accusations against him.

He simply wishes there was as much passion for politics in Canada as there was for hockey. Fairly fair observation, IMO, perhaps a bit over-stated, your mileage may vary… but there was certainly no reason to criticize this simple whimsical lament on a board whose topics are far more wide-ranging than you characterize.It’s not like Jordan has a history of doing it, or went off on a long-winded tirade.Show a little generosity of spirit. Please.

50. spoiler says:

And there’s another option other than that.

51. spoiler says:

hunter1909: Relax. Olive was merely stating the obvious in a typically brit manner. Canadians take everything so freaking literally.

There were four people piling on, and my message to them, and you are one of them, is the same, lol, “Relax”.

52. G Money says:

Re: unhappiness over MacT’s words.

Here’s the thing with MacT: he has yet to give us any evidence to believe that his words are anything but a reasonably unvarnished look at what he actually believes.

He isn’t saying these things to send messages to other GMs, to challenge or build up his players. His actions have been pretty much consistent with his words.

He’s gone and said repeatedly that he’s not happy with Petry, despite Petry being the best defenseman on the team for three years running. Petry is gone.

He says Schultz is Norris material, while fans make the name synonymous with a lazy and careless style of play. Schultz leads the team in ice time.

Positive words for older players with a track record of suckage, but no words for Marincin who is younger and better.

He lauds Ference for his leadership and says nothing about Ference’s horrible on ice play.

Speaking of Marincin, he gets banished (of course it was done with MacT’s participation) for being out of shape, but Mac makes excuses for a much-worse Nikitin coming into camp out of shape and playing like a sack of shit.

So when MacT says he’s happy with his defense next year, there is NO REASON to believe that he is doing this for any reason other than that he truly believes it.

And for fans, that means we can count on yet another year of horrendous defensive hockey, constrained offensive players forever trapped in their own zone, another year of young talent wasted, and a playoff exit coinciding with Halloween.

No Oiler fan should be anything but unhappy with what they heard from MacT.

I wouldn’t blame them for being mad enough to shout and smash things.

But being anything but unhappy seems irrational in the extreme.

53. hunter1909 says:

book¡je: I think it depends how the argument is used.

I’ve played in a few 14-18 hour marathon poker games. In the end, the winners and losers are determined by who keeps their big fat mouths in check.

MacT, Lowe and the entire current Oiler management have gone on record over the years as being the newbie who thinks being dealt a jack of diamonds means something good. Why? Because it’s his favorite card.

Assuming you know little about poker…there really isn’t a hell of a lot of difference between cards after 12 straight hours.

54. book¡je says:

He simply wishes there was as much passion for politics in Canada as there was for hockey. Fairly fair observation, IMO, perhaps a bit over-stated, your mileage may vary… but there was certainly no reason to criticize this simple whimsical lament on a board whose topics are far more wide-ranging than you characterize.It’s not like Jordan has a history of doing it, or went off on a long-winded tirade.Show a little generosity of spirit, people. Please.

I personally think that most Canadians are about equally informed about politics and hockey. A small number are well informed, but everyone has a strong opinion about both. \

As per the replies to Jordon – He lamented the 100s of hours that people put into hockey. Well, that is exactly what a few people do here – its their thing – and I for one am thrilled that they do so. Similarly MANY political people put 100s of hours into analysing politics. In fact, I can find many more people who delve deeply into political issues than I can find those that do so into hockey. So, I appreciate those who focus on hockey.

In any case, my sense is that nothing is particularly serious here and that Olive’s “Legoland” comment was not particularly offensive either.

Frankly I am appalled that we are having this discussion at all – don’t you know that there are people out there suffering from dracunculiasis? Seriously, its a terrible disease and it’s almost eradicated. We could get there if we all just gave up hockey!

55. Younger Oil says:

I have been an avid MacT supporter from the beginning, but his comments today have pushed me over the edge.

Is he really so inept and arrogant that he wouldn’t even listen to offers on arguably his worst defender?

There is no sane reason why time after time after time he deliberately doesn’t mention Marincin’s name, when he has shown consistently that he is a better defender than Ference, Nikitin, Schultz, and arguably Fayne.

All he has done since the beginning of this season is show blatant favoritism towards the free agents that he has signed, and has shown that he is absolutely inept at evaluating talent. The treatment of Marincin compared to Nikitin is laughable and pathetic.

This team is the farthest from the playoffs it’s ever been, not because they have the worst roster in the past 9 years, but because they think that they are close to turning a corner.

I hate to say it, but it’s time to blow it up again. Starting with the higher ups, to purge this franchise of the old guard, replace them with competent individuals who’s biggest qualification isn’t being with the team during the glory days, and start over.

MacT and Lowe deserve every single loss that the Oilers get, but the players don’t. Nelson doesn’t. And most importantly, the fans don’t.

Smartest man in the room my ass.

56. book¡je says:

spoiler: ple piling on, and my message to them, and you are one of them, is the same, lol, “Relax”.

That I can agree with.

57. book¡je says:

G Money,

I agree.

58. Younger Oil says:

G Money:
    Re: unhappiness over MacT’s words.

He isn’t saying these things to send messages to other GMs, to challenge or build up his players.His actions have been pretty much consistent with his words.

He’s gone and said repeatedly that he’s not happy with Petry, despite Petry being the best defenseman on the team for three years running.Petry is gone.

He says Schultz is Norris material, while fans make the name synonymous with a lazy and careless style of play.Schultz leads the team in ice time.

No Oiler fan should be anything but unhappy with what they heard from MacT.

I wouldn’t blame them for being mad enough to shout and smash things.

But being anything but unhappy seems irrational in the extreme.

You nailed it. Said it much better than I did.

59. spoiler says:

book¡je: dracunculiasis?

Dammit, what is that? I’ve never heard of it. Sounds horrible.

60. hunter1909 says:

I personally couldn’t care less what happens to the Oilers.

61. book¡je says:

spoiler: That’s the asymmetry I was getting at earlier.

62. Younger Oil says:

John Lu @JohnLuTSNMtl · 11m 11 minutes ago

#Habs Bergevin says he and #Oilers MacTavish had been working on the Petry deal for about two months. Setting the price was the final key.

God damn it. The idiot probably had blinders on the whole God damn time.

63. oliveoilers says:

Thanks for the reality check, Hunts.

As Frankie says, I should Relax!

Why do I heff to be mad?

64. G Money says:

hunter1909:
    I personally couldn’t care less what happens to the Oilers.

I’ve said this several times the last three seasons.

And yet here we both are.

65. hunter1909 says:

G Money: I’ve said this several times the last three seasons.

And yet here we both are.

“Just when I thought I was out…they pulled me back in”.

66. spoiler says:

book¡je: I sometimes wonder if that is how the Bob Mckenzie’s of the world find out things “Hey Bob, if you can let me know what Chicago is doing, I will give you some advance warning on a trade we are working out with Boston”

Yep. The interconnectedness too… Nill, Risebrough, Howson… people who have inside connections to other organizations. Are they able to obtain insider knowledge? Or are GMs pretty honest about what they’re getting offered anyways, so it’s a moot point? Wish I knew.

67. book¡je says:

spoiler: Dammit, what is that? I’ve never hear of it. Sounds crappy.

Also known as Guinea Worm, its a parasite you get from drinking contaminated water. It grows into a long (more than a meter often) worm inside of you and then works its way through your body until it emerges from your skin by making a wound. You have to roll the worm on a stick while it emerges (can take hours or days) and avoid braking it. If you break it, the worm will die inside of you and you are almost certain to get a terrible infection (deadly in most of the impoverished countries that it still occurs in). The worm usually comes out somewhere in the legs, but sometimes comes out other places like the face or genitals. It can be prevented by using a simple cloth filter prior to drinking the water.

Here is an image of one coming out of a particularly open wound on a foot if you would like to see it.

Really, I can’t believe that MacT hasn’t done more about this.

68. book¡je says:

G Money: I’ve said this several times the last three seasons.

And yet here we both are.

Oh, I stopped caring about the Oilers months ago. I am just here because I care about all of you.

69. spoiler says:

4-5 months on Giordano. Wow.

70. G Money says:

Younger Oil: You nailed it. Said it much better than I did.

Ha, I thought you did an excellent job.

The only thing I disagree with: after the purge at the top, I wouldn’t start over again at the player level.

Thankfully, we do have some good building blocks. Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak, Drai, Poo, Klef, Nurse, Marincin, hell, even Schultz if you pair him with someone capable and shelter him a bit, plus whoever we draft this year and some of the kids bubbling down on the farm.

You can build a good team from that, I believe that.

Bring in someone capable and this thing might have some legs.

At this point, the only thing that gives me even a glimmer of hope is that all of this really is a deliberate “wait for the shiny new arena and not before” type of play. That these guys are acting clueless, not actually clueless.

But I recognize I’m clutching at straws.

71. oliveoilers says:

G Money: I’ve said this several times the last three seasons.

And yet here we both are.

Dang straight. It’s cheaper (just) than a habit.

I don’t smoke or partake due to *nearly* making playing soccer (I had a kind of asthma, coupled to being shite).

I don’t drink liquor, I only gamble occasionally (I can take it or leave it). I can’t afford women of negotiable affection, nor need porn for more than a few minutes.

I have beer and sports.

(Also, I have some strange people that live in my house. A woman and some smaller, what appear to be, humans. They keep yammering away in their Canadian lingo. Can’t understand a word. They take money from my wallet occasionally.)

72. rich says:

G Money,

Well done sir.

73. Unicorns says:

‘Coborn > Petry by some distance’

So Petry’s trade now makes the playoffs interesting in a more personal way. I voted for the Hawks as my team #2, but in reality I don’t have much passion for any team other than Oilers/Eskimos. I like how the Hawks play and do things like fist fight in the locker room, but it doesn’t go any deeper than that.

The Habs were a childhood favourite, so Petry being there and being a Canadian team that isn’t complete crap I can get into it more.

However the real cherry on the empty beer bottle will be Petry outshining all the eastern based D. I will be pulling for him to be miles ahead of Sekera, Coburn, Wisniewski, punk them and their little dogs too, and prove his critics and the MSM wrong.

74. Yeti says:

I can’t believe that a Guinea Worm can garner a first rounder and Petry only a 2nd and conditional 5th. Shame on MacT!

75. Yeti says:

Younger Oil: God damn it. The idiot probably had blinders on the whole God damn time.

Yes, I can imagine MacT turning down better offers just so he could deal with Montreal. And those other GMs that made trades probably thought “I’d much prefer to use these assets to trade for Jeff Petry, but I don’t want to bother MacT because he seems real busy”. That’s just the way it went down.

76. Younger Oil says:

G Money: Ha, I thought you did an excellent job.

Thankfully, we do have some good building blocks.Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak, Drai, Poo, Klef, Nurse, Marincin, hell, even Schultz if you pair him with someone capable and shelter him a bit, plus whoever we draft this year and some of the kids bubbling down on the farm.

You can build a good team from that, I believe that.

Bring in someone capable and this thing might have some legs.

At this point, the only thing that gives me even a glimmer of hope is that all of this really is a deliberate “wait for the shiny new arena and not before” type of play.That these guys are acting clueless, not actually clueless.

But I recognize I’m clutching at straws.

It’s just the one thing with this management group that I can’t stand is that they seem to think “This is our core, no matter what, and nothing can change our mind on that”. It seems as if they aren’t even entertaining offers on players like Hall or Eberle, even if it would be an overpay.

For example, what kept going through my mind today when Eberle was linked to Boston was “What if Boston was offering Hamilton and Eriksson for Eberle and the PIT 1st, and MacT wouldn’t even take the call?” I’m not saying at all that it played out that way, but with MacT’s comments, I wouldn’t be surprised.

People keep saying that Hall is untouchable, but what if NAS offered something like Josi and Wilson for him? A competent GM needs to at least consider something like that, not immediately disregard it.

77. rickithebear says:

RexLibris:
    rickithebear,

At least that’s how I interpreted it.

His statement was not a hipocracy!

pre 2008 Drafting failed at the 1st round level.

we are seeing SM very good at bottom 1st and 2nd round.

SM under MacT looks very good.

78. SpotTheLoon says:

I thought I’d throw in my two cents worth on MacTavish and the whole Jeff Petry situation.

First off, I don’t blame MacTavish for global warming, the decline in the price of oil and everything else that some others seem to be doing. Certainly he has his faults (and merits) but I’ve tried to take a less emotional and more balanced view.

I think, as LT has noted, the genesis of the Petry situation that the team was faced with goes back to the Tambi era where a contract was finalized that would leave him as an RFA one year removed from free agency. Be that as it may, I feel that the writing was on the wall after his new contract was negotiated during the last offseason.

As MacTavish said today in his presser, he challenged Petry last offseason as part of the contract negotiation process. When there was agreement on the one year deal for $3.1 million, the writing seemed to be on the wall.

This is the same team that went out and gave Nikita Nikitin a two year, $9 million contract. How is Petry supposed to react when he has arguably been the best defenseman in recent years to this news? If I am him, there is no way that I would consider signing long term with a team that apparently doesn’t see or appreciate his value. Play out the year and move to UFA status and see what opportunities present themselves.

With MacTavish taking the approach that he did last offseason, it seems to me that he compounded the asset mismanagement of Jeff Petry committed by Tambi. I’m not saying that he should have necessarily bent over backwards to accommodate the player but, given the sequence of events that took place last summer, I think that he practically pushed Petry out the door.

Overall, I don’t really have an issue with the return that the Oilers received concerning the return for Jeff Petry. The howls of disappointment and acrimony are consistent with most fans of the team they cheer for where they overvalue the players on their club. I think that the club received fair value. Provided Montreal makes the third round of the playoffs, a realistic possibility, then the club would realize a second and third round selection in the upcoming draft.

Jeff Petry has been both lauded and reviled in the Edmonton market. Appreciated for what he is capable of and criticized for what he isn’t or doesn’t do. I had a conversation with my nephew a couple weeks ago, a noted Petry hater. He criticized him saying that he doesn’t hit enough, he doesn’t do this enough or that enough and that he should be traded post haste. I went through each defenseman on the team and asked my nephew whether each player was better or worse than Petry. It came out that my nephew only identified one defenseman as better than Petry. So I again asked whether he felt the player that he had himself identified as the second best defenseman on the team should be traded, he paused. I said to him that there are a lot of other places I would start on improving the teams’ defense than trading Jeff Petry.

To summarize, I think that the management of Jeff Petry as an organizational asset has been deplorable. For all those fans who had been hoping for a resigning in recent days, I think that ship sailed months ago. It’s a shame. But Craig’s on it!

Watching MacTavish’s availability today, he continued to sell hope and speak highly of the future and offer other empty platitudes. I recognize that is your job and such. But I’m no longer buying anything you or the organization say anymore.

Best wishes Mr. Petry. May you and the Montreal Canadians go far this spring.

79. G Money says:

book¡je: I personally think that most Canadians are about equally informed about politics and hockey. A small number are well informed, but everyone has a strong opinion about both.

rickithebear: His statement was not a hipocracy!

You know, I read these two statements and I believe we have the problem surrounded.

The Edmonton Oilers are not a democracy.

The Edmonton Oilers are not a meritocracy.

The Edmonton Oilers are a hipocracy.

I assume that a hipocracy is a form of organization that takes high potentional players and turns them into crap.

It explains, well, everything.

80. spoiler says:

Younger Oil: It’s good that we value our best players highly, and it appears that the league does as well, I just want to see what a competent GM could do by keeping an open mind, building a complete roster, and winning trades instead of being bent over the table.

Are you saying MacT was bent over a table on the trade today?

81. DBO says:

So yeah. I mean, just ouch. 2 months looking. Blinders indeed. Unfounded or not, the arrogance of the management team of the Oil has been mentioned in a few spots. And one big thing with MacT has seemed to be his belief that he is smarter then everyone else. That is the kind of thinking that often sinks company’s and corporations. And sports teams are no different .

So we go backwards again. He bet on Nikitin, Ference and Schultz and not to mention Arco and Dr. Drai. He ignored and seemingly disrespected Petry, Marincin and Yak. He dumped Ralph for another arrogant smart guy like himself. Quite honestly I can’t see him keeping Nelson. Too different, too emotional.

I was hopeful with MacT compared to Mr. Dithers. But now I can’t see this team improving going forward. This summer I expect one of the core to be moved to make room for an even younger kid. A recycled older and flawed player to be touted as a prominent new player cause MacT sees something every other team hasn’t. And then going into the year with spots to be won by kids cause it gives them a chance to prove themselves. Again.

Freakin hell. Like beaten captives, I see no escape. No hope and no chance. The Habs have always been my second favourite team. But the gap is losing, and that saddens me as much as angers me.

82. spoiler says:

G Money:

The Edmonton Oilers are not a democracy.

The Edmonton Oilers are not a meritocracy.

The Edmonton Oilers are a hipocracy.

It explains, well, everything.

Really, that’s the hippopotamus in the room.

83. spoiler says:

The key thing MacT said today to me, was Petry wanted to play in the playoffs.

That bit is completely on management.

Today, Petry and the market, held management accountable for this failure.

84. Alpine says:

Younger Oil: I definitely agree with keeping most of the people in that core (aside from maybe Schultz and Poo, and would argue adding in Lander, and soon the 2015 1st rounder will join that group), but the more this goes on, the more I’m worried that this isn’t the right core.

I have a feeling he doesn’t overvalue those guys as much as he knows the mythical “overpayment you can’t refuse” won’t come. Big ticket wingers who’ve been traded in the past years include guys like Nash and Seguin in which the team that traded for them got the best players. I like all of Anisimov, Dubinsky, Smith, and Eriksson, but maybe MacT just doesn’t feel it’s worth it to acquire a second line forward and/or second pairing defenseman for a first liner. Maybe the offers just sucked and he was getting lowballed.

85. McSorley33 says:

More praise for Mac T:

JW Cult of Hockey:

“Jeff Petry deal exposes the Edmonton Oilers’ managerial incompetence”

86. Younger Oil says:

spoiler: Are you saying MacT was bent over a table on the trade today?

I definitely think a better GM could have gotten more.

87. Pouzar says:

G Money: Ha, I thought you did an excellent job.

You can build a good team from that, I believe that.

Bring in someone capable and this thing might have some legs.

But I recognize I’m clutching at straws.

This. You both nailed it.

88. anonymous says:

I came to the same conclusions during the last offseason. Management would have been turfed long ago in any other organization. It’s hard enough to continue reading all of the blogs nevermind commenting.

Memories of a proud franchise are quickly fading forever.

89. Pouzar says:

“It’s exciting times for the organization to have as many draft choices as we do.”

90. Rondo says:

MacT = Willie Nelson

Willie Nelson getting caught cheating on his wife.

“As one of his early wives did, no doubt, that famous time she walked in on him in bed with another woman. Mr. Nelson focused those soulful, sexy eyes on her and asked: “Are you gonna believe what you see? Or what I tell you?”

91. RexLibris says:

spoiler: The key thing MacT said today to me, was Petry wanted to play in the playoffs.

So their priorities didn’t align.

92. Rondo says:

The problem is not the players. The players are just symptoms of the problem. The problem is an entrenched Oiler old boys establishment that keeps failing again and again and yet it keeps on applying the same failed solutions to problems. Players come and players go, but this Oiler establishment is forever and no matter how many times its remedies fail, it keeps on applying them without an ounce of self-reflection.

93. Dark Asia says:

Younger Oil: If it ends up being a 2nd and a 3rd I can live with that. I wasn’t overly unhappy with the return earlier in the day, but hearing that it was the best he could get from Montreal after 2 months of discussing it, especially with the escalating price of Dmen leading up to the deadline.

I definitely think a better GM could have gotten more.

A better GM and organization would have gotten Petry signed to a fair longterm deal before this season. Arguing the merits of today’s deal-making (or lack there of) is utterly secondary to this central failure. Trading a perfectly serviceable 27 year old 2nd pair RH dman for a late 2nd and change is extremely poor asset management, especially when the rest of the defense includes rookies and names such as Ference, Aulie, Nikitin, Shultz etc etc.

94. oliveoilers says:

Pouzar:

LOL, Tambo? I’m sure he said something very similar.

95. Pouzar says:

oliveoilers: LOL, Tambo?I’m sure he said something very similar.

Nope….your current GM of the Edmonton Oilers.

96. OF17 says:

You know, a lot of focus has rightly been placed on the atrocious aspects of MacT’s presser, but I think there was actually a pretty decent message there.

He said that he wanted to make 3-4 significant additions, “significant” later being likened to the impact that Klefbom has had on the D this year. If that’s actually the plan, then MacT’s plan and the plans of most of the people on these boards are the same. 3-4 significant additions means a LD, a G, a C, and maybe one more. If all of those players have Klefbom-like impact and we don’t sell all four corners of the farm to get there, how is that a negative thing?

Now, the question becomes whether or not you trust MacT to make that happen.

97. delooper says:

Rational Zealot:
    It really is a whacky world.I think Yzerman has done quite a good job, with a number of savvy moves.And yet the price he paid for Coburn is absurd when Petry is sitting around available for a second round pick.

I think the answer to all three of these questions is a resounding no.

Perhaps MacTavish can’t complete a deal with Yzerman because Yzerman is too busy laughing at him?

98. delooper says:

OF17:
    Now, the question becomes whether or not you trust MacT to make that happen.

You’re being facetious?