OILERS AT BLACKHAWKS, G65 2014-15

There’s not much to say about the current edition of the Edmonton Oilers, so for our conversation today we’re going to play 10 questions. Here we go!

1. Do the Oilers address defense, center or grit with the top pick? The Oilers will take a center and they go in the following order: McDavid, Eichel, Strome.
  2. Will the top pick play in the NHL this fall? If they draft No. 3 or lower, no.
  3. Will they take a goalie early? Yes. MacKenzie Blackwood, probably with their first pick in the second round.
  4. Will the Oilers make a bold move for a goalie at the NHL level? That’s my guess, suspect it’ll be a big contract for Niemi or a major trade for Craig Anderson. Either way, a big part of the cap number next season will be in net.
  5. Will the Oilers make a bold move for a defenseman? Yes. I think they will try to sign Johnny Boychuk if he’s available and should wheel back for Petry if he’d ever return (can’t imagine). After that, it’s a trade and that could be a very dear cost.
  6. Will the Oilers trade for an impact blue? It’s possible. A Hall-for-OEL style trade has been discussed on this blog and that kind of transaction would absolutely change the look of the team. It’s a dear price.
  7. Will Darnell Nurse play in the NHL next year? Yes. The only question I have is does he start with the big club. I’ll guess no but injury could impact that and I’m absolutely convinced Edmonton will have a 7D making north of $3 million next season.
  8. Will Leon Draisaitl play in the NHL next year? Yes. He’ll blow the doors off in training camp, forcing the team to keep him in a LW-C role. Probably bad news for someone like Matt Fraser or Tyler Pitlick.
  9. Will they sign Derek Roy? Yes, I think so. He’s a good match for Yakupov and if Leon forces his way onto the roster it’s not a massive deal to move him down the depth chart or to another city.
  10. Will we see a big addition on the wing? I can’t see it, honestly. Unless they deal Hall, Eberle or Yakupov, the club has five legit skill (Pouliot, Purcell) wingers. Add in Leon if he can convince the management and that’s a lot of talent.

RYAN AND JORDAN

PLAYER NUGE EBERLE TOGETHER
5X5 CORSI FOR % 50.4 50.7 52.2
OFFENSIVE ZONE STARTS 62.4 64.2
QUAL COMP No. 1 No. 2
5×5/60 1.69 1.84
5×4/60 2.68 4.88

The  dynamic duo isn’t producing at a level we’d like to see (2+ 5×5/60) but they’re over 50% on the shot differential and face the toughest competition available. Nuge’s PP witchery from rookie days is gone completely and if he remains at about a 50-point player, I’m going to call him Dave Keon. That is a helluva player btw. His peak value, when point totals should rise to the 70’s, will be outstanding because of his range of skills. Who was the last Oilers center who could play a 200-foot game? Those big western conference centers are having their way now but our man is reaching the point (maybe a year or two) where the equation will change (they’re all getting older). Can’t wait. As for Eberle, if there’s one thing Ebs has been able to do the other men can’t do, it’s stay healthy.

The problem is you develop a past. If you look at Oilers history, transactions during specific era’s tell a very strong tale. Here’s a couple of moments in time that offer us a clue into the future and why we are here:

• March 8, 2004: Oilers trade G Tommy Salo and a 2005 sixth-round pick (Justin Mercier) to the Colorado Avalanche for D Tom Gilbert.
  • August 2, 2005: Oilers trade Eric Brewer, Jeff Woywitka and Doug Lynch to St. Louis Blues for D Chris Pronger.

Two different trades but the added quality was franchise altering for the Oilers. It only lasted one year, but in the season Chris Pronger played as an Oiler, the team had a different look. They were defensively sound, aggressive and organized.

• June 25, 2014: Oilers trade a fifth-round selection to the Columbus Blue Jackets for the rights to D Nikita Nikitin.
  • March 2, 2015: Oilers trade D Jeff Petry to the Montreal Canadiens for a second-round pick and a conditional fifth-round selection.

The exits and entries under Craig MacTavish are debilitating. This blog once concluded that Steve Tambellini’s signing of Cam Barker was a wayward and ill-advised move. If we’re to be consistent, the signing of Niki Nikitin has to be regarded as possibly more harmful (it’s a longer, more punishing deal). Trading Jeff Petry as a single transaction is one thing but there’s absolutely no reason to expect things to get better this summer.

In the next several months, the stories surrounding the Edmonton Oilers are going to be dire. Headlines like “Season ticket holders not returning” and “Plummeting ratings mean less for Oilers coffers” won’t appear but these things will come true. Darryl Katz could become famous for a very shameful thing: Killing the goose that laid the golden egg. The movie makers are going to need a new sell line. Something like: If you build it, make damn good and sure your product is worth watching (well, I tried).

In the long grind from 2006 summer through today, this is the second time I’ve been genuinely worried about this franchise’s future. The first time was in the weeks before the Vanek and Penner offer sheets, when the desperation of the GM ruled decisions. I’m worried this time because the rebuild is taking a bizarre turn: The Edmonton Oilers, in trading away David Perron and Jeff Petry, are flushing players they’ll need to reacquire in summer. Given the recent past in procurement decisions, there is no reason for confidence in this area. If you send away Jeff Petry and acquire another Niki Nikitin, what do you have?

We are less than six months away from a crisis in this city. When summer comes and the Oilers acquire players who have lesser value and ability than David Perron and Jeff Petry, what then? What happens on July 10, when Craig MacTavish has fallen short of the ridiculous goal (now FIVE holes that need to be filled) and begins to panic ala Kevin Lowe 2007? What happens then? Should we worry about something drastic? What happens if this team begins the season 7-22-7, what then?

What, in the name of everything holy, does the Edmonton Oilers fan have to hold up as hope today? What, on March 6, 2015, compels the Edmonton Oilers fan to believe in the future? Nine years. Nine years and they are still sending away useful players in their 20’s at the deadline because they have evaluated them incorrectly. The mind boggles. Mr. Katz: You need to do something. Now.

margret5

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. Trade deadline coverage, plus choosing Canada’s team for playoffs 2015.
  • Corey Graham, TSN 1260 Oil Kings PBP. The current surge has the OK getting close to that first wildcard spot. It’s a big deal.
  • Travis Yost, TSN Analytics. The Eagles-Bills trade plus that Wiercioch article.
  • Paul Almeida, Saturday Sports Extra. We’ll talk Oilers-‘Hawks tonight.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Talk soon!

286 Responses to "OILERS AT BLACKHAWKS, G65 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. pocession charge says:

Lowetide: Rex is the Flames fan.

He both loves and hates the Flames. gollum gollum

2. pocession charge says:

Unicorns: Imagine if MM had put the work in Klef did. It’s not like guys in their teens and early 20’s get over 200 without weights, unless they are 8 feet tall.

Klefbom is genetically gifted.

3. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Rex is the Flames fan.

Oh, sir, you wound me!

No, Rom and I share some interests (history and such) but he has his thing going on at the rig and elsewhere. I write sporadically for FlamesNation as their resident Cassandra.

Scrivens is in a zone.

Ghastly play by Marincin there, terrible awareness.

6. fifthcartel says:

Dubnyk is now 2nd in the NHL for save percentage with .929 in 42 games between MIN/ARI. If he plays all of the upcoming games he could reach 59 games, and could reach ~55 if they split some of the back-to-backs left. I wonder if he gets any Vezina votes, I mean Price probably has it locked up but maybe 2nd or 3rd place votes?

7. RexLibris says:

pocession charge: He both loves and hates the Flames. gollum gollum

You know I don’t even watch the Oilers/Flames games anymore.

I can’t stomach the losses.

I have enduring memories of PeeWee Therman catching a last minute toss from Flutie and racing into the endzone in a Western Final and I’m pretty sure I said some very inappropriate things while Fleury was sliding across the ice back in ’89.

But it is a very rewarding exercise to write for a team that you, as a fan, so strongly dislike. Great practice in objectivity and detachment.

8. steveb12344 says:

pocession charge: Klefbom is genetically gifted.

I’m sure he had to earn that.

9. RexLibris says:

Scrivens is in a zone.

Would that be the….

DANGER ZONE!

Fans of Archer, this video is all kinds of awesome.

10. justDOit says:

steveb12344: I’m sure he had to earn that.

I didn’t have to earn my keg…

11. frjohnk says:

In an hour it’s kelowna vs Vancouver on shaw.

12. Rebilled says:

Holy shitroys!

Roy-Yak-Teddy line is flat out good. full stop.

14. G Money says:

Just so I have this straight, it’s the Hawks in white and the Oilers in red, correct?

15. RexLibris says:

Buffalo snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

Nolan for the Jack Daniels coaching award.

16. pocession charge says:

steveb12344: While genetics likely contribute to his dreaminess, they have nothing to do with that chiselled 6-pack.

I’m sure he had to earn that.

17. steveb12344 says:

Roy is really feeling it. That was fun to watch.

18. TemujinBC says:

I would have never bet the Oil would be ahead 1-0 late in the second.

Yak and Roy just look tremendous.

Scrivens looks like a brick wall.

Defense not a tire fire.

WHO ARE THESE OILERS?

19. frjohnk says:

Usually when Schultz yak Roy and company are on the ice against Hossa Toews Seabrook etc it’s a tire fire.

This time the tire fire was in the hawks zone.

Roy has the puck on a string.

20. steveb12344 says:

pocession charge: Yes I think he’s spent some time in the gym, but it is exceedingly rare for a teenager to have that kind of muscular maturity at such a young age.

He’s like 22

21. RexLibris says:

justDOit: I didn’t have to earn my keg…

Kegs and flats are far more economical.

But Kefbom is a professional athlete, these guys are always so bad with money.

22. striatic says:

frjohnk:

This time the tire fire was in the hawks zone.

Hawks were absolutely gassed for most of that shift. Granted the Oilers did get them into that position initially.

23. oliveoilers says:

RexLibris: Would that be the….

DANGER ZONE!

Dayne – Ja Zone!

So Cassandra, what is your prediction of doom for the 3rd?

24. G Money says:

Weird. I’m finding I’m developing a bit of a thing for the redhead with the Spin Mop in the Home Hardware commercials.

25. nelson88 says:

Hawks are my 2nd favourite team and really love when they play the Oil as they seemingly decide to trade chance rather than play shut down hockey. Leading to memorable moments like Gagner’s 8 point night. This game has had plenty of good scoring opportunities for a 1-0 game

26. pocession charge says:

steveb12344: He’s like 22

I’m not sure if this will open for you, but it is a shirtless Klefbom at age 18. How many high school aged guys look like that?

27. steveb12344 says:

pocession charge: I’m not sure if this will open for you, but it is a shirtless Klefbom at age 18.How many high school aged guys look like that?

You got me there. I saw that around the draft, he was absolutely ripped.

28. steveb12344 says:

G Money:
    Weird.I’m finding I’m developing a bit of a thing for the redhead with the Spin Mop in the Home Hardware commercials.

She’s kind of a poor man’s Baconator girl.

29. pocession charge says:

I don’t think the link is working. I’m not computer savvy. Where is G Money when you need him?

30. G Money says:

pocession charge: Where is G Money when you need him?

I’m here, but opening images of a shirtless Klefbom is beyond my savvy! Or perhaps more a different field of study if you see what I mean (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

Klefbom iron! Crap!

32. G Money says:

(Given that the URL looks like a cached result, you might need to send the search parameters, that’s my guess!)

33. pocession charge says:

G Money:

For all the time I’ve spent on the internet you think I would know what you are talking about.

34. B S says:

when is the last time the oilers got a power play on an interference call?

35. G Money says:

pocession charge,

Heh heh, what I mean is that the link is likely to a search result that is local to your session in Yahoo Search. So when anyone else clicks on it, they don’t get anything valid. So you’ll have to send what you typed in the search box to someone else so they can also find it, rather than using the link.

36. G Money says:

Klefbom iron! Crap!

My favourite part of that sequence was shortly after, when the Hawks were exiting the zone. “Nugent-Hopkins takes the puck off Toews on the backcheck”. Beauty.

37. TemujinBC says:

Marincin has looked equal parts good and bad in this game…. often on the same shift

38. G Money says:

Guess the Hawks have put their red unis back on.

Scrivens having himself one heck of a game.

39. SVR says:

Nelson is a common sense coach. Just when I’m thinking that Hendricks line is getting killed out there ,he moves him back to Goordons wing

40. B S says:

G Money: My favourite part of that sequence was shortly after, when the Hawks were exiting the zone.“Nugent-Hopkins takes the puck off Toews on the backcheck”.Beauty.

“Here come the Oilers” for me. First time in almost two seasons the announcer wasn’t being sarcastic when he said it.

41. Kitchener says:

Kitchener: See y’all in a few months.

Who am I kidding? Go Oilers!

42. Captain's Log says:

Scrivens needs to spend all summer learning when to play the puck and when not to play the puck…

43. rich says:

TemujinBC:

All part of the education of a young d-man. Not surprised, but glad that unlike Eakins, Nelson keeps putting him out there. He’ll get better for this.

44. justDOit says:

G Money:

One question – what took so long?

If they ever air that commercial with a Wendy’s commercial, I might self destruct.

45. Captain's Log says:

Once again the Oilers have no response once a real team decides to put the screws to them….

46. rich says:

And just when I stick my foot in my mouth…Ference was out with Fayne on that shift.

47. striatic says:

Regardless of the outcome, it has been a good game.

48. Unicorns says:

pocession charge: Unic

Few are that genetically gifted.
    Humans aren’t that large naturally. Over 200 lbs and fit (and not exceptionally tall which would mean over 6 feet 4 or about) would be rare. Look around you (and have a measuring tape handy). Average height males are under 6 still.

MacT has a legitimate argument with Marincin’s training. What isn’t legit in the usage is that he still pushes possession. Yet, if a player can’t break a cycle or make one, they are a burden.

If I was MM and staring at being a significantly wealthy person based on lifting weights or not when I was 22 or whatever, I think I’d do it, starting right FREAKING now. I can’t imagine such stubborness, and I don’t even value being rich monetarily. That shows a lack of drive that has relied on talent. Times up Marty.

Helluva game, Oilers get a road point in a tough damn building.

50. Captain's Log says:

Klefbom…damn…open up for the onetimer there!

51. Henry says:

Man, the Nuge is a wonderful skater.

52. G Money says:

Those bursts of speed from Nuge are incredible to watch.

(On a side note, the *lack* of those same bursts of speed from Hall since he hurt his knee are what convince me he’s still injured, or at least not 100% recovered)

53. Captain's Log says:

Ever guy going backhand to the blocker…every guy stopped. Good work guys…

54. G Money says:

I shouldn’t have made my ‘five hole’ quip earlier in this thread.

Oh well… McWin!

55. striatic says:

oh well.

good game. can’t say they deserved better but can’t say they deserved worse.

Great game, really enjoyed it. 11-14-4 under Todd Nelson. Nice.

57. RexLibris says:

Think I’m figuring out this Twitter thing.

Now, this Face book thing is really disappointing though.

I go there and there is little to no Dirk Benedict presence. Feeling very disillusioned right now.

58. rickithebear says:

Hall-Lander-Pakarinen
    Pouliot-RNH-Eberl
    Purcell-Roy-Yak
    Klink-Gordon-Hendricks

These lines for the month of April:
    please!

59. Dashingsilverfox says:

Great game, really enjoyed it. 11-14-4 under Todd Nelson. Nice.

Nice?

11 wins and 18 losses gets you last place every time.

Dashingsilverfox: Nice?

11 wins and 18 losses gets you last place every time.

Sure but I’m willing to cut some slack based on roster makeup and injury. For me, that’s a strong showing by Nelson.

61. RexLibris says:

rickithebear:
    Hall-Lander-Pakarinen
    Pouliot-RNH-Eberl
    Purcell-Roy-Yak
    Klink-Gordon-Hendricks

These lines for the month of April:
    please!

That would only be six games, but I’d be happy to give it a go.

Only problem would be if Lander does well MacTavish might think he’s got 5 centers next year if he signs Roy and keeps Draisaitl in the NHL.

62. RexLibris says:

Dashingsilverfox: Nice?

11 wins and 18 losses gets you last place every time.

Not while Tim Murray is on the job!

That game, more than any other game so far this year, makes me want Nelson as a coach.

That was fun hockey to watch.

Every player engaged.

Everyone skating.

Skate, skate, skate.

Love it.

justDOit: One question – what took so long?

Redheads are my Kryptonite too.

striatic:
    Klefbom is better than Marincin.

Not that it matters.

7 or 8 shots tonight.

He’s dreamy.

66. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Redheads are my Kryptonite too.

Suitable for work.

Though not necessarily for productivity.

67. kooler says:

fifthcartel,

Dubnyk wins next 17 games, wins the Presidents’ Trophy……does he get the Vezina?

or he wins Lord Stanley, Conn Smythe, so is worth a No. 1 pick.

He has more wins than Schneider, better save % and they traded a no.7 pick for him.

Have to feel good for him…..is he this good or has he gone from a bad defensive team to a good one?

68. Tire Fire says:

Ugh, I frantically googled home hardware + spin mop and only found some chubby dude cleaning a floor…

Nelson no doubt has some good things as a coach, but imagine if this game happened in November when 10% of all shots against the Oil went in. That’s right, Roy would’ve scored but Chicago would’ve been ahead at a score of 2 or 3 to 1 before the end of period 2, by which point it would be depression city and a slow slide into the ditch.

69. stush18 says:

kooler,
    Honestly i think there is a case to be made for hart trophy candidacy. Hes been more valuable to the wild than any other player for his team.

70. striatic says:

stush18,

Give Dubnyk the Norris while we’re at it.

Goalies are basically defensemen, right?

71. commonfan14 says:

Woodguy,

Steve Tambellini says, “You’re welcome.”

72. Justthestatsman says:

oliveoilers: Well, as the great philosopher Meatloaf once said:Two out of three ain’t bad.

Meatloaf has pretty good size too…Maybe he’s our answer for stud dman or goal?

73. rickithebear says:

Great game, really enjoyed it. 11-14-4 under Todd Nelson. Nice.

With Hall 5W-4L-2OTL
    without 6W – 10L – 2 OTL

74. Bruce McCurdy says:

kooler: He has more wins than Schneider

It makes me laugh. Ruefully, but it does.

75. SwedishPoster says:

Really entertaining game. Win or lose I hope they can play like this for the rest of the year. Very annoying when the OT ended, such a great back and forth game and you have to end it with 6 guys skating slowly up to the goalie and shoot the puck into his pads or in Vermettes case almost in to his pads. If they’de kept going it would have been 3 on 3 for 2 mins as well.
    There are issues with this team but atm I don’t care. Fun hockey. Yay!

76. Dark Asia says:

Bruce McCurdy: Dubnyk has more wins than the Oilers. DD 27 wins in 38 decisions, Oilers 18 wins in 65.

It makes me laugh. Ruefully, but it does.

77. Zelepukin says:

Dark Asia: Bruce my laughter is a derisive snort followed by a wry smile. The Oilers spent 10 years developing this guy, and right before he fully blooms, a rookie GM states that he has little confidence in him and then tries to trade for his replacement over the summer. I followed DD closely since his Kamloops days and always compared him to Burke. So in the end he was damn fortunate to get out of EDM and end up with Burke in AZ. Last year almost cost him his career, but he’ll be tougher for it, and no doubt he will enjoy ever win over the the mgmt team that threw a decade’s worth of work in the garbage without a second thought. Meanwhile back in EDM that rookie GM seems to be still looking for a goalie.

FIVE holes is basically impossible.

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!

Klefbom was 68% vs Hossa and 65% vs Toews yesterday.

He was also 78% against Vermette and 68% against Sharp.

64% against Keith and 50% against Hjarlmasson.

That’s pretty incredible.

Is he now Incredi-dreamy?

(all head to head stats taken from: http://naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20142015&game=20968)

That’s a very handy site for looking at match ups on TOI for individual games.

Also,

One side benefit of losing Petry is that no one is left to prop up Ference so he goes to the 3rd pairing where his damage can be minimized.

Had a tough night as Osterle was full rookie, but still kept Ference out of the way while the NHL players played.

80. Jon K says:

Zelepukin: ‘Right before he fully blooms’ is the biggest load of bullshit. Dubynk was horrendously bad. Dump ins from near center, bad. There was no one that was upset when we got rid of him. Then guess what, he continued his horrible play in Nashville for a couple games, got traded and sent down to the AHL, didn’t play that much better there and continued to play like his old self in AZ. The Dubie we see in Minnie is not the same Dubie we had. Not even close.

And yet the NHL would have us believe that the Dubnyk who played here and the Dubnyk in Minnie right now are one and the same!

It’s funny how sometimes we as fans can selectively choose to use concepts such as “potential” only when it serves our narrative.

Dubnyk’s poor play can almost entirely be attributed to a shitty goaltending coach and the fact that he had a baby that year.

The Oilers flushed a legitimate starting goalie, who had the resume staring them right in the face, again because they for some inexplicable reason believed he didn’t conform to their view of an NHL starter. A single poor season amongst several and they seized the opportunity to flush him for magic beans.

The similarities to the Petry saga are pretty compelling. Fuck the Oilers.

81. Lois Lowe says:

Unicorns: MacT has a legitimate argument with Marincin’s training.

We don’t know any of those details though.

If MacT has a legitimate argument with Marincin’s training, that’s on the OKC Barons/Oilers strength and coaching staff considering where he’s been playing most of the last few seasons. If he isn’t following the program set out for him, where is the disconnect between player coaches? Is it fair to assign all the blame on the player?

I can’t imagine that Marincin was just allowed to skip weights in Junior; so the explanation could simply be that he doesn’t have the strength base that many of his peers have because he didn’t have the same access to coaching as a young man.

Or, and I realize that this is sacrilege in hockey circles, maybe Marincin isn’t willing to use PEDs/HGH/Deer Antler Spray etc to gain the muscle mass like MANY of his peers. As someone who is built like a whippet, gaining good mass is very hard to do. Building strength for me doesn’t come with much mass gain, it simply changes my strength to weight ratio.

It’s easy to blame the player and say it’s about not having enough drive, but the reality is that we’re grasping at straws trying to explain something with very few of the facts and an outsider’s perspective.

82. commonfan14 says:

Zelepukin: The Dubie we see in Minnie is not the same Dubie we had. Not even close.

So, magic?

83. justDOit says:

commonfan14: So, magic?

You’ve never heard of a magic doobie?

84. Mr DeBakey says:

He didn’t put the same work in?
    That is an interesting fact.

85. Bruce McCurdy says:

I’ll defer to your expertise on bullshit, but “dump ins from centre bad” is exactly that. Such happened once in Dubnyk’s time here, in Nashville 2 years ago. I’d be surprised if there was a veteran goalie in the league who hasn’t had one or two of those. To pull that out of the ether & use it as a descriptor of his overall play is beyond harsh.

You can’t speak to nobody being upset when he was traded. I for one was plenty upset. We’d invested 8 years in this guy, he had one bad half-year under a regime that frankly did not believe in him, & bam! gone. Not we’re back to looking for a netminder while the Wild’s problems in that area have been solved.

Your selective memory seems to recall only that season but when I think of “the Dubie we had” I think of this guy.

86. russ99 says:

nelson88:
    Dark days. Where is Linus when we need him

Hahaha!! That was awesome. Linus was always money behind the net.

« Older Comments