OILERS AT RED WINGS, G67 2014-15

I was interested to see how Todd Nelson would run his left-wing lock yesterday. Benoit Pouliot fell ill and the callup (Ryan Hamilton), the waiver grab (Matt Fraser), the enforcer  (Luke Gazdic) and the NHLer (Matt Hendricks) had quite the chore. The script changed as the day wore along so I’m going to list all wingers and their EV time-on-ice from the Carolina game:

1. Nail Yakupov 19:50 (2 SOG)
  2. Teddy Purcell 16:55 (3 SOG)
  3. Matt Fraser 14:02 (1 SOG)
  4. Jordan Eberle 13:57 (1 SOG)
  5. Matt Hendricks 11:30 (1 SOG)
  6. Ryan Hamilton 11:26 (0 SOG)
  7. Rob Klinkhammer 9:52 (0 SOG)
  8. Luke Gazdic 7:30 (0 SOG)

It was a bit all over (Hendricks played center, too) but this gives you a reasonable idea about how Nelson solved, or tried to solve, the problem. Going into the game (when I found out about Pouliot) my suspicion was Nelson would play the hell out of Eberle, Yakupov and Purcell. That’s what he did (Eberle was on the PP, impacting his minutes at evens and he got banged up a little on the first Nuge goal) but there was also a large scoop of playing time for Matt Fraser. It was an opportunity missed for the young man, there was a golden pass from Yakupov (brilliant individual play by the Russian) and another time when he was around the net with the puck in play but he couldn’t finish. Matt Fraser may never have a better chance to make an impression.

Nuge made so many great plays ASIDE from the hatty the mind boggles. Good gracious what a hockey player. He wasn’t much in the face-off circle but as a passer, shooter and checker yesterday was truly outstanding. Watching Nugent-Hopkins play the game, even in this absolute disaster of a season, makes being a hockey fan worthwhile. Man what a hockey player.

Glen Sather was not a great hockey player. If you ask me for a recent Oiler as a comparable, I’d suggest a slower, smaller Matt Hendricks with maybe a little more skill. Slats was a helluva trader though and a fine coach to boot. When we talk about coaching or managing ‘trees’ it’s interesting to look at those 80s Oilers teams and how many of them tried their hand at management in some flavor.

• Wayne Gretzky: Unsuccessful coach.
  • Mark Messer: He, uh, well, I don’t know. He was involved somehow with the Rangers and now Oilers. No real idea what he does.
  • Kevin Lowe: Easily the most successful manager of the group, he coached a season and was GM of a team that made it to G7 SCF. Since 2006 his reputation has been tarnished by Edmonton’s track record.
  • Craig MacTavish: Easily the most successful coach in the group, his GM record is not trending in a good direction.
  • Colin Campbell: Literally no idea what he does, beyond emailing the league about his boy.
  • Ron Low: Had success as an NHL coach, protected Edmonton from Satan during the end times.
  • Jari Kurri: He is hockey Pope of Finland.
  • Charlie Huddy: Brilliant defensive coach.

There are many others (hadn’t realized until looking at the list but from Fuhr to Habscheid that 80s team had some famous players and fringe players who stayed in the game. Quite the stretch across the league these many years).

LOWETIDE TOP 10, 2015 DRAFT

1. (1)C Connor McDavid, Erie Otters (OHL) Hockey Jesus.
  2. (2)C Jack Eichel, Boston U (NCAA) Franchise.
  3. (3)R Mitch Marner, London Knights (OHL) Money.
  4. (4)C Dylan Strome, Erie Otters (OHL) Big C with skill.
  5. (5)D Noah Hanifin, Boston College (NCAA) Complete defenseman.
  6. (6) D Ivan Provorov, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)Electric skills.
  7. (7) D Zach Werenski, Michigan (NCAA) Offensive defender with range of skills.
  8. (9) C Mathew Barzal, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) Intelligent play-making center. Sublime skills.
  9. (8) D Oliver Kylington, Farjestad (SHL) Complete defenseman.
  10. (12) C Travis Konecny, Ottawa 67’s (OHL) Tremendous two-way player, excellent skater.

I think we have the Top Six surrounded now, the order goes back and forth but for me Mitch Marner has done enough to warrant No. 3 overall. There’s still some time to suss out the Strome-Hanifin issue and Provorov has moved a long way. Barzal is a late breaker due to injury and this Konecny fellow looks like a really good player. There’s so much in this draft I honestly can’t see Edmonton trading the Pens’ first rounder. They’ll keep it and select a player.

silverman 5

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. Are Boston and LAK going to make the playoffs?
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. We’ll talk about Oil Kings and 2015 draft.
  • Jeff Hauser, Radio Hauser. NFL free agency exploding!
  • Dennis King, Oilogosphere Icon. Oh, those Oilers plus the Raptor!

10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. See you on the radio!

236 Responses to "OILERS AT RED WINGS, G67 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. RexLibris says:

ashley: I realize that may seem illogical, but as is the often the case with ____________, there is much we still don’t know.

The Kardashians.

The Freemasons.

Swiss banking regulatory bodies.

The location of Jaromir Jagr’s Fountain of Youth.

The appeal of Kelly Ripa.

2. RexLibris says:

You know, that photo of Petry in the Habs jersey could almost make me switch loyalty entirely.

I’m reminded of that turn of phrase “he cleans up nicely”.

3. Snowman says:

RexLibris,

I don’t think it’s the jersey… I think its his pride returning now that he’s not too soft and not miscast.

I imagine many Oilers would “clean up nicely” if they were given the same opportunity.

4. maudite says:

On Hall or Nuge:

This corner is a resounding “neigh” for any thought of captaining either. Keep the pain in the ass of increased media scrum time far away from either at present. It’s not really a privilege or honour at the moment to have that obligation due to 1000 paper cut style management. They all make over league average salary. At any point the crazy is likely to look for any reason to form a mob and pursue them like Frankenstein.

Nope. Less focus the better atm.

5. smellyglove says:

Checked box score. Yak tallies.

Checked out his splits:

Home 32 4 4 8
    Road Road 33 5 9 14

Same ice time, similar shooting percentage. His career home/road split is dead even. What’s happening here? Double the performance on the road. Could be small sample size I guess.

6. wheatnoil says:

ashley,

Thanks for your explanation here. Much appreciated insight.

7. justDOit says:

RexLibris: episode of Ren & Stimpy

As a product of the Warner Bros and Hanna Barbera studios, many later animated shows just didn’t do it for me, but R&S was somehow different. I didn’t see much of those shows, but I liked what I saw. Can’t remember them saluting while riding a plummeting tank though.

8. ashley says:

wheatnoil,

My pleasure. With all the stats gurus around here, I’m usually taking a lot more than I ever give. Unless it’s my ill-informed opinion on some Oilers development, in which case I am quite liberal.

9. Rondo says:

McKeen’s new draft ranking is interesting they really have dropped Dylan Strome

10. B S says:

ashley,

Agreed, and certainly, while I trust my doctor, I don’t expect him/her to know everything, just what is generally known in the field and to act accordingly based off what they know of my condition. As with most medical conditions bone health is as much due to diet, past injuries and genetics as it is to exercise and and both short and long term fitness. different people are going to have different reactions to varying degrees.

The Oilers just haven’t had a very good track record with letting players get better before playing them and ending up with re-injury or worse injuries as a result. This Hall problem just seems like another case of that which suggests that the GM, the Coach, or the doctors have poor judgement.

11. B S says:

Thanks ashley

12. lance says:

I don’t really ever watch the games anymore. The interest is gone. But I do like the breadth of comments due to the diversity of the community. The blog itself is surprisingly entertaining to me also. Love the writing style. Creative yet not pretentious. I still check almost daily despite an overwhelming distain for the current fascist management style of the overlords.

But I can add my two bits about Cajun cuisine. Here in southern Louisiana the sun hasn’t been substantial but the wind, otoh, is incredible. I totally “get” hurricanes. Boiling seafood is the local fancy, yet the physics of converting wind to heat is kinda pathetic. I suspect, if the goal is to boil crawfish the solar would likely prove much more efficient even in lousyanna.

I also gotta say, this is the toughest climate I’ve ever seen. Wind is either from Manitoba or muggy and gross with almost nothing in between.

I really enjoyed the two persona debate. Knighttown I just love your posts. I understand the affluent on the Victorian era would oft wear masks to balls this providing a separation from daily life and a corresponding freedom. As for me I use my real name because no one I meet will ever connect me with these posts and the vishcosity thing kinda left with Lubomir.

13. Klima's_Bucket says:

Pouzar: Can somebody tell me one thing he does well? ONE.

Ference is great on the Re-cycle…

14. Gordies Elbow says:

Rondo,

Interesting. Thanks for posting this!

I think Edmonton’s secondary target is Hanifin. If I were to order them…
    – McDavid (Player I’d like Edmonton to get – currently 11.5% chance.)
    – Eichel (Happy with this one, as well. -currently 20.0%, if Buffalo wins and takes McDavid.)
    – Hanifin (Likeliest pick, good fit for the org – 68.5%)
    – Provorov (Best WHL pick, good fit for the org, wouldn’t be shocked.)
    – Marner (listed as a centre but likely an NHL winger, good player, poor org. fit.)

Then I see:
    – Werenski
    – Zacha
    – Strome
    – Barzal
    – Crouse
    – Merkley

I’d take Werenski over Crouse, but I’d bet that Edmonton’s scouts have Crouse over Strome, Barzal, and Zacha.

I just hope that they (or the new team that replaces the scouts, GM, etc.) take the best player with the best fit for the organization.

15. Clay says:

Man, it’s crazy how high some have Crouse.

I don’t care how big he is, 42 points in 50 games in your draft year just isn’t top-10 stuff in any year, let alone this one.

McKeens has him two spots ahead of Strome? That says more to me about McKeens than Crouse.
    Gordies Elbow,

But I bet you’re right, Gordie. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Oilers had him as high as #4 on their list.

16. pocession charge says:

LT is awfully quiet tonight. I wonder if he’ll explode one day…..

17. GCW_69 says:

Going into game 68 the #Oilers are one win shy of the total wins coach Ralph had in a 48 game season (19) vs only the Western Conference.

Tweet from Paul Almedia

18. Ryan says:

#mceichel!!

pocession charge:
    LT is awfully quiet tonight.I wonder if he’ll explode one day…..

Just writing tomorrow’s blog. Tonight was interesting but not upsetting. .:-)

20. Captain's Log says:

smellyglove:
    Checked box score. Yak tallies.

Checked out his splits:

Home 32 4 4 8
    Road 33 5 9 14

Don’t be lazy. It’s roughly 1.7x the performance, which is not really all that close to double.

Yes I would argue small sample size although it might have something to do with 18 games away from Rexall under Nelson to only 13 at home. He’s been much better under Nelson and played more on the road under Nelson.

21. frjohnk says:

Pronman on Crouse

A comment on the Lawson Crouse debate:

“I reject the premise that the argument over the merits of this prospect is between the “objective” camp, the one that favor quantifiable evidence, and the “saw him good/physical fetish/size” camp. Instead the debate is over what kind of evidence we should value. On one hand, we have data that people have used for decades, points. On the other, we have data that is not available to us via public offerings, but scouts universally across the industry have noted in their evaluation. The elite two-way play, the very significant scoring chance differentials in the OHL, and in several International showings especially relative to his age and usage.

Lawson Crouse is not the “big and dream on him prospect.” This is a fundamentally different type of debate than others some may have been familiar with over the years with other big yet low upside prospects.

What’s become so fascinating about this debate over LS’ production is I imagine that those who so quickly rush to judgment about a player based solely on his point totals over 50 games in the OHL, would at the same time, eviscerate someone else for making conclusive evaluations about an NHL player’s performance based on the exact same information in the NHL.”http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sl3s0a

22. Captain's Log says:

Gordies Elbow,

If nothing else the fact that Lawson Crouse plays the wing should be enough to steer the Oilers away from him. Well that and the offense doesn’t really appear to be there – we’re looking at a great energy player who should not be selected anywhere in the top 15.

23. Captain's Log says:

I’m watching an NHL classic game of the 1999-2000 playoffs between PIT and PHI. The holding and hooking that was allowed back then is crazy. Frequent bear hugs all over the ice. It’s playoff hockey so it’s still exciting but man what a travesty that era was…

frjohnk:
    Pronman on Crouse

A comment on the Lawson Crouse debate:

The issue on Crouse is this: does his DEFENSIVE value approach elite level? He’d have to be Craig Ramsay in order to be top 10 and I don’t get that vibe about him. I’ve read hundreds of Mike Morreale scouting reports and he’s good because there’s not a lot of wasted verbal and he gets to the heart of the issue:

“Crouse is still a curious player to me. Will he be a consistent top-six or bottom-six player in the NHL? The guess here is that the team selecting him at the 2015 NHL Draft will expect him to play a top six for sure. He’s succeeded on every level and played a significant fourth-line role for Canada at the WJC. Crouse is a physical presence who is extremely tough for opponents to handle in battles. He goes to the net hard and crashes around in front. He has an incredibly powerful wrist/snap shot.” – Mike Morreale

So that’s the deal. IS Lawson Crouse a scorer at a level that suggests 35 goals a year? No. Is he Don Marcotte? I haven’t read anything about it.

He’s Ethan Moreau with possibly more offense. Helluva player, not top 10.

25. Gally says:

Oh man, late to the party as per usual. Man, we’re not good. I’m terrified about next year, though at this point, I no longer get upset with the losses. I find myself laughing roughly about each and every time they get scored on or do something dumb. That way, I’m not miserable as the losses pile up. No matter how bad the loss, I can laugh at it, and not go looking for barn fights, or bottles of methanol to drink. Laughter is the best medicine after all(warning, medical family, but I’m certainly not a doctor).

A couple quick thoughts on the separate twitter question from earlier. I have two(sometimes more, depending on work and/or consulting). The one that most people “know” is CharmingGrump. I’ve interacted with many of you through it. I talk about all things my life there. Sports, food, fine bourbon, science, personal reflections, and yes, those damn Oilers. But I make inappropriate jokes. And curse. And voice strong opinions on things like, stop being assholes to women. I’ve also talked shit about many of the Oilers, despite them being two chairs over from me at my restaurant. Basically it’s pure, unfiltered me. I do have a personal account though. I have 9% of the followers on that one. That one’s filtered. It’s the one family and other people, such as future employers, can know about. It’s filtered and toned down. There’s occasionally a swear or two, or a “dad joke” that might make people shake their head, but it’s me with the proverbial suit and tie on and my sideburns shaved. It’s the one I used 99% of the time when I worked with an organization closely affiliated with the Oilers.

Anyways, two accounts aren’t for everyone. You do have to pay attention a little more. Tyler didn’t want or need that separation, but I know of a couple people, personally, that were fired for their twitter, so it’s all up to you. As mentioned earlier, HootSuite and Tweetdeck are pretty good for managing multiple accounts. But the official Twitter app is not too shabby if you’re paying attention, or aren’t taking peyote before tweeting.

26. SwedishPoster says:

Decent showing tonight but they still get on their heels to often during the game, ofc has a lot to do with the D not being strong enough to get the puck out of our own end, a lot of the extended zone time against was directly due to a D man or center not neing able to clear the zone, Marincin, while having a pretty good game overall had a shift where he failed to clear the puck multiple times for example, can’t happen and really kills your team, there were other sinners but that one stood out.

I also must say I like Roy in the neutral and offensive zone but he struggles mightily in his own end, can’t contain stronger players, plays to high in the zone and fly around way to much leading to that line getting hemmed in almost every time the puck ends up in the defensive zone, which is a crying shame because they are so good through the neutral zone and in the O-zone but since they struggle to get out of their own end they lose a lot of zone time in the other end. I’d gladly resign Roy but I’m starting to wonder if the best way to go is to move him to a wing and get yet another center for the summer. Would also give us depth since he can slide back when needed.

Yak is really starting to come into his own as an offensive player, creates so many chances both for himself and his teammates.

Lander was -3 tonight but still had a strong game, shame his wingers can’t finish. Had a shift in the third where he was absolutely dominant. Fraser tried tonight with 6 sog and the same number of hits but he just can’t do it at this level, he’ll probably end up a KHL top scorer but he lacks that last edge to be an NHLer imho.

Brandon Davidson feels more NHL ready than Oesterle who looks like he has NHL upside but needs to get stronger and make quicker decisions.

Pittsburgh thursday and then the schedule gets easier. Hopefully they can churn out some wins and don’t start playing down to the oppositions level. Pens marks the end of a very tough 10 game stretch that’s hopefully been a great learning experience for the team going forward.

Oh, thanks for the tips on cajun cooking everyone!

27. PhrankLee says:

Lowetide: He’s Ethan Moreau with possibly more offense. Helluva player, not top 10.

God damn could we ever use him. This is the guy that should go high 2nd. And then it would still be a surprise.

Moreau is exactly the kind of forward we need. He was one of the toughest guys to lace up for us. Before his shoulder surgery he could be seen popping his dislocated arm back into place on the bench. I do not see Fraser or Hamilton filling this role. And this player type in the top 6 is almost always essential. Look at how badly the Wings miss Helm. Fast, smart, physical, dependable, selfless, guts galore.

I think he goes late 1st because of the verbal. But if he is still around at mid 2nd I would deal for him.

28. Caribbeerman says:

Pouliot RNH Eberle
    Hall Roy Yakapov
    Draisaitl Lander Purcell
    Hendricks Gordon Klinkhammer

#1D Fayne
    Klefbom Shultz
    Nakitin Marincin

#1 G
    Scrivins

I know this is a major projection assuming we actually land a true #1D and #1G, but as competitive this team is today, if you add those two plus Hall (and Draisaitl) I think you’re close to talking about playoffs…don’t you think?

29. GCW_69 says:

frjohnk: I imagine that those who so quickly rush to judgment about a player based solely on his point totals over 50 games in the OHL, would at the same time, eviscerate someone else for making conclusive evaluations about an NHL player’s performance based on the exact same information in the NHL.

Crouse has 113 games of mediocre offence.

30. Kmart99 says:

Rondo:
    McKeen’s newdraft rankingis interesting they really have dropped Dylan Strome

His production w/o McJesus is elite, but not Marner elite. In my eyes, the rankings go:
    1.Connor
    2.Eichel
    3.Marner
    4.Hanifin
    5.Strome

31. B S says:

Moroz was the big, mean defensive stalwart with supposed offensive upside. I just don’t see what Crouse has on him other than being an offensive go-to on his team rather than a shutdown forward. In terms of skill set unless Crouse has good edges (turns, stops and reverses quickly) and can dangle at pace (soft hands) I’d rather have Moroz.

32. Ca$h-Money! says:

B S,

That’s ludicrous as a straight across comparison. Crouse is a very good hockey player who has a legitimate shot at being a top 6 complimentary winger, or a very effective third liner. He’s almost unanimously seen as being an NHLer, perhaps one of only two players to be drafted who will play in the NHL next year along with McDavid.

Moroz probably won’t be an NHLer, and hasn’t really proven to be a capable AHLer 3 years post draft.

Crouse will be a good pick for someone, he just shouldn’t be picked in the top 10. If someone takes him in the range of 15th overall they’ll probably be quite pleased with him. If he’s available with the Pittsburgh pick we will either pick him and be happy or trade the pick to someone who will surely pick him, and get real value in return.

Moroz was a decent bet himself, just not in the early second round. If we’d taken him in the 4th or later I would have been OK with the pick as there was a decent argument to be made that his offence was held back by his role. Hopefully next year he improves his AHL numbers enough to justify a bigger role, and the year after that puts up the kind of number justifying a cup of coffee. If so, he might work his way into a bottom 6 NHL role by the time he’s 23 or so, which is where Crouse will be at 19 by all reports.

Similar in terms of “big, mean defensive stalwart with suposed offensive upside” but the comparison fails after that, and the idea that anyone would rather have Moroz is just plain crazy.

33. SoCaloil says:

You must add Bill Ranford to that list.
    He’s having much success in LA

34. wheatnoil says:

frjohnk,

It should be pointed out, while discussing that Pronman piece, that on Twitter he seemed to clarify that he wasn’t arguing for Crouse to be a top 5 pick. He was responding to those who felt he should drop out of the first round. I believe he said LC would be a solid top 20 pick, but I haven’t checked Pronman’s latest rankings to see where he has Crouse.

35. rickithebear says:

GCW_69: Crouse has 113 games of mediocre offence.

oilers need elite EVG scoring!
    14-15

LW SlepyShev
    C Yakimov

Crouses EVG performance age NHLE suggest s25-26 VGE/season player
    .306 to .317 EVGPG

36. frjohnk says:

GCW_69,

Just so you guys know that was all from Pronman. I was going to come back and add my thoughts but ended up watching a movie.

I respect the hell outta Pronman and will listen or read his stuff when I get the chance. He knows his shit.

With that said, I agree with you guys and we all know that even the best scouts get prospects wrong.

Why do all scouts believe he is a top 10 draft pick when Crouse has not shown the offense in the OHL or even before that as a 14 -15 year old that would suggest a top line offensive player?

To me it is blantantly obvious that Crouse is not going to be a top line player because of the lack of offense, so why don’t all the scouts see this?

Is the gap between how smart we are and how smart the scouts not that big? ( one example, look at oilers drafting and what many have said on here for later round picks)

Are the scouts maybe not as smart as they think they are?

Are the scouts still valuing size ( still looking for the next Chara or Lucic) too much over skill?

I will say that we are all focused on his offense or lack thereof, but he checks off all the other boxes
    -size check
    -skating check
    -shot check
    -competiveness check
    -good hockey IQ check

-going to the WJC’s as a 17 yearold for Canada, its a very small group.
    -he does not play on an offensive team. They are 3rd worst in goal scoring at 2.82 goals per game. The average in the league is close to 3.6 goals per team
    He currently has 25 goals 17 assists in 50 games.
    If he plays on a more offensive team does he have stats somewhere around 30 goals 30 assists? Switch spots with Strome and Crouses points per game could be closer to 1.25 or so.

Yes I know lots of ifs in the last part but just trying to make sense of it all on why he is ranked so high with the lack of offense.

« Older Comments