LITTLE WING?

The Edmonton Oilers are probably going to sign a few muzhchíni over the next several weeks and Anton Slepyshev may be the most talented.  How good is he? Will he be an NHL player in two years? Let’s compare Slepyshev (20 now) to Teemu Hartikainen (24) after their year as teammates in the KHL.

THE SLEPYSHEV STORY

• Boxcars: 58GP, 15-10-25 in regular season
  • Breakdown: 14 goals at even strength, one on the power play
  • SOG: 129 (11.6 shooting percentage, 2.22 shots-per-game)
  • TOI/game: 12:25
  • Points-per-60: 2.08
  • NHLE (Regular season): 82GP, 17-11-28

THE HARTIKAINEN STORY

• Boxcars: 60GP, 15-25-40 in regular season
  • Breakdown: 11 goals at even strength, four on the power play
  • SOG: 146 (10.3 shooting percentage, 2.4 shots-per-game)
  • TOI/game: 16:52
  • Points-per-60: 2.37
  • NHLE (Regular season): 82GP, 16-27-43

I don’t have the EV numbers but we can see Slepyshev as a solid offensive winger in the KHL (a good league). Hartikainen made it to the show but couldn’t stay there, although that may change in the coming years. At this point, I think the young Russian is absolutely worth a contract and honestly he might be the best prospect winger in the system currently (his competition is Pakarinen, Chase until the Oilers draft Mitch Marner this summer). I think the Oilers have to bring him over. Is he an NHL player? He performed well at age 20 in the KHL—he might end up being a solid NHL player in two years.

We can get all up in each other’s faces (the one thing I wish we could change about the internet is the aggression. Jesus) but the real issue here (for the Oilers) is the health of Matt Fraser. That was a major head blow and one suspects he’ll be out for a time. Taylor Hall is almost ready to return but it means the Barons won’t be getting a winger back this week. Tough item for the organization’s plans to have the prospects play well into the spring. As for Kadri, no idea if he gets any time but it’s his good fortune that Fraser isn’t a famous player. The NHL doesn’t value Fraser in the same way they would value, say, Jordan Eberle, so the crime will be judged accordingly. standings mar 16This was a costly win for the Oilers—the Sabres will have a tough time catching Edmonton (this is a race between the tortoise against the comatose tortoise) with just a dozen games left. The Bettman point means the Buffaloes would need to post a 6-6-1 record over their last 13 in order to best an Oilers team that went 3-8-1. The race for 30 is over. Edmonton should have no trouble passing Arizona for No. 28 overall, they’ve doubled the Coyotes point total over the last 10 games. We’re drafting 1st, 3rd or fourth. Marner!

When I look at that list, Buffalo is the rightful place for No. 1 overall. I think it’ll go Buffalo (McDavid), Arizona (Eichel) and Edmonton (Marner or Hanifin). The Oilers may appear to be the losers in this scenario but it’s important to remember the tremendous talent already on the roster. I’d take Marner No. 3 overall. I doubt that changes from here to the draft.

• Brendan Ross, McKeens: Marner has been high in my ranks for quite some time mainly due to his elite possession and playmaking game, which elevates every linemate around him. He’s shredding the OHL scoring charts apart and is starting to challenge Noah Hanifin for the draft’s third slot.” Source

There was a time when I wondered about the wisdom behind ranking Marner high (for the Oilers) because he may end up being a RW in the NHL. However, if we agree that BPA is the right way to go then (increasingly) this will come down to Hanifin versus Marner at No. 3 overall. Edmonton has Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Leon Draisaitl for the center position in the coming years and may have to make room for Marner right side by 2016 fall. I think he’s the third best option in the draft this season.

BARB3

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

This morning at 10, TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, Cult of Hockey and Oilers Nation. We’ll look at last night’s game, the draft and this summer.
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. We’ll talk about Marner and the NCAA postseason.
  • Travis Yost, TSN. Oilers, Senators, March madness and more.
  • Dennis King, Oilogosphere Icon. March madness, Oilers and Jordan Eberle’s power-play comments.

10-1260, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Talk soon!

102 Responses to "LITTLE WING?"

1. Ca$h-Money! says:

Marner might be the right choice, but it will be a risky pick for MacT, as he will be picking a small winger ahead of a big center and a franchise dman. If Marner turns out to be anything less than hyper elite MacT will be thrown into the fire by the media.

I bet they take Hanifin. Not saying it is or isn’t the right choice, but I think it’s what they’ll do.

2. wheatnoil says:

If Hall isn’t ready to go tomorrow and Gazdic is still sick, the Oil may use an emergency call-up. C Hamilton or Miller?

3. Stud Muffin says:

Buffalo and Arizona play 2 times so i think we’re staying at 2.
    Buffalo also has the leafs and hurricanes.

4. supernova says:

Not sure why the tide has changed about Strome versus Marner but I am pleased it has.

I think Marner is a excellent fit for the Oilers due to these factors;
    1) skill
    2) skating
    3) skill
    4) tenacity with the puck
    5) hockey IQ

I am not trying to bash Strome because I think he is a helluva player.

If we had have drafted Bennett I would likely be in favour of Strome but I like the different skill set that Marner offers aside from Drai.

Aside from the fact that a highly skilled player with excellent skating is what a basis of a “scouting manifesto” would have in the first paragraph.

Draft skill that can skate well.

I also pray we can get one of McDavid or Eichel.

Hanifan is an interesting discussion, a D with that size and ability could be the game changer we have been desperate for years.

5. wheatnoil says:

Mirtle and Dreger reporting Kadri is scheduled for a hearing tomorrow. Suspension is expected.

6. TheOtherJohn says:

Agree with you over the last month the Oiler trajectory when compared to Buffalo and Arizona make 3rd the most likely result. I’d slot Marner in the 4 slot behind Hanifin but would not be upset with this pick, Marner is looking great busting up in the OHL

Arizona is sending Sam Gagner out to win key draws. That says it all.

Where I disagree with you is when you say that the Oilers have tremendous talent on the roster. Notwithstanding 3 1OV I’m not sure I agree with you. They have a talented1st line and 2 very nice prospects in Draisatl and Nurse. Love Yak but his offensive, now, is ok and that’s all he adds to the equation. Think that’s most common mistake made by Oiler fans. Some talent with gaping holes at top of the roster

Mirtle with a pretty succinct trashing of the Oiler rebuild http://bit.ly/1EX3ZUk

7. su_dhillon says:

I can’t imagine the hissyfit Pierre McGuire and others in the media will throw if the Oilers take Marner. I like him and think he’s the 3rd best player in draft but you know we are going to see a bunch ‘Oilers take another small winger” talk. I wonder if that factors into this management group’s process. They are a sensitive group.

8. Pouzar says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    Marner might be the right choice, but it will be a risky pick for MacT, as he will be picking a small winger ahead of a big center and a franchise dman.If Marner turns out to be anything less than hyper elite MacT will be thrown into the fire by the media.

I bet they take Hanifin.Not saying it is or isn’t the right choice, but I think it’s what they’ll do.

9. Aitch says:

On one hand, I look at Ebs and Yak on the right side and can’t understand why the Oilers would take Marner, unless they had a plan to move one of those two at some point in the next two seasons. But then I think back to the 2003 draft and the Parise blunder of not taking a smaller centre because we already had a couple of good small centres already…and we all know how that turned out.

10. Ca$h-Money! says:

Pouzar: I think they get cold feet and draft Hanifin but Marner is being “considered heavily”.

Agreed.

Hanifin by way of junior high style peer pressure

“come on man, draft the franchise DMan…. everybody’s doing it.”

11. Jigger says:

It;s crazy to think how bad Arizona really is. 10 of the 50 points are against the Oilers.

12. wheatnoil says:

I’m absolutely torn between Marner and Hanifan.

I remember a few comments here that commented on Marner having had a late growth spurt. He may end up taller than he is now. Also, man that guy can score!

However, I still remain so impressed with Hanifan’s ability in the NCAA given his age.

Either one. Complete toss-up for me.

TheOtherJohn,

Arizona is sending Sam Gagner out to win key draws. That says it all.

Last night vs LAK:

Gagner 4/15 – 27%
    Vitale 4/8 – 50%
    Chipchura 7/18 – 39%
    Arcobello 5/12 – 42%

14. Hall Awaits says:

After hearing Kyle Woodlief compare Marner to Patty Kane last week, you have to get a little bit excited. Especially when he follows that up by saying he’d have taken Draisaitl over Strome if they were both in this years draft. I hope Marner is our guy. Unless of course we fluke and get McJesus.

Have a great St.Patricks day everyone!

15. TheOtherJohn says:

Woodguy,

Yup

Week ago Bruce and I watched Samwise skate out for must win face off and both thought WTF

16. MenovOil says:

Call me crazy but I’d rather see Toronto win the lottery than either Buffalo or Arizona. It’s one thing to rebuild but to gut your roster the way Buffalo and Arizona have done so at the deadline is just plain wrong. Poetic justice would be for the teams that battled all the way to the end but just missed the playoffs to win the lottery (Ottawa, Winnipeg, Florida, etc.)

17. ironsight says:

Slepyshev’s complete ES/PP splits are impressive:

58 GP, 15-10-25 (22 ES, 3 PP). 22 ES points while averaging just 12:25 a night.

Since Salavat was eliminated from the KHL Playoffs, he’s returned to his MHL (junior) team Tolpar, where he’s scored 2-2-4 in 2 games in the 2nd round. Add to this his performance for the Russian National Team in the Spengler Cup (5 GP, 2-3-5 (2 ES, 3 PP)) and the Euro Hockey Tour (5 GP, 2-1-3) and he’s putting together a real nice resume this season.

18. PhrankLee says:

I can’t see MacT looking past his “positional bias” to draft Marner.

I see him drafting Strome.

I think we draft 4th.

19. dustrock says:

Drafting Marner vs. Hanifin may have impact for any trades Mac T might make – do Eberle or Yakupov become available in a blockbuster trade if you draft Marner? And ditto Marincin or Nurse if they draft Hanifin.

Obviously it is silly to replace NHL players with draft picks, yet this is the Oilers way.

20. Rondo says:

Hall Awaits:

Have a great St.Patricks day everyone!

Woodlief also said Hanifin = Ekblad.

My preference would be Hanifin over Marner

21. dustrock says:

I feel like the Oilers can’t really go wrong with either Marner or Hanifin.

It’s like the Drai/Bennett debate – Bennett might have more upside as a prospect, but Draisaitl definitely brings the Oilers something they don’t have.

22. TEED says:

I think if we go 4-8 maybe 5-8 in our last 12 we will stay 29th, AZ holds the tie break and has 2 games coming up against a Malkin/Hornqvist-less PIT plus the 2 vs BUF. Lets hope SJ falls out of the race and they can split the home and home with them. Maybe it comes down to them winning their last home game against ANA and who knows maybe they rest some players if the west and/or presidents trophy is locked up.

23. slopitch says:

Strome, Marner, McDavid are 1,2,3 in OHL scoring. Crazy they are all draft eligible. Dal Colle for example is 12th. The problem with sucking all year is you have all year to pick holes in players.

Strome – boosted by McDavid?
    Marner – another skilled small winger? potential Gagner PP boost playing in London?
    Hanifan – d are riskier to project. Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker … Hall, Seguin, Gudbransson … McDavid, Eichel, Hanifan ???

Maybe the Oilers move Hall for Reinhart and R Strome so they can draft Dylan. Doubt it. The Oilers are in such a hard spot. Desperate for a top pairing dman. Cant afford to miss out on a lottery pick. I think I just talked myself into taking Marner or Strome and trading for a dman but Im sure that changes. Plus we are winning the lottery 😉

24. su_dhillon says:

25. Kosmo Kraemer says:

I think the Oil draft 3rd. McDavid and Eichel going first. I have always been high on Strome, can’t have too many players capable of playing center on your team. I would also be ok with Hanafin, especially if Hanafin is projected to be as good as Ekblad, again can’t have too many defense. I would not love it if they took Marner

26. Truth says:

Apologies for no citation but I have heard numerous “experts” say that Hanifin would strongly be considered to go first overall in recent past drafts. As an Oilers fan, and therefore self-proclaimed draft expert, I would say acquire all of the top level centers and defencemen possible. The Oilers currently have zero top 3 defencemen on the team.

Nurse and Klefbom are probably the only two that I would consider having a legitimate shot at becoming top 3 D on an actual NHL team. Fayne is a decent 4 and is on the downhill. Marincin probably projects, at best, to replace Fayne (on the Devils). Schultz is M.A. Bergeron without the early career big open ice hits, and has peaked IMO. Ference. The rest of the youngsters I will cross my fingers but if 1 of Simpson, Davidson, Oesterle, Musil, Laleggia, Lagesson, etc. make a permanent impact on the Oilers at the NHL level I will consider that a success. I do not see top 3 written on any of them however.

If it’s not McJesus or Eichel they should take the best D or C, and I believe that is Hanifin.

27. boneshj says:

su_dhillon,

I can see it already. Trade number 3 pick for Seabrook. Seabrook gets injured early in the year, Marner goes on to contend for the Calder picking up 60 points in a rookie season while we start discussing who we like in the top 5 in early December.

Rinse/Repeat

Sorry just wanted to add that I’m not saying this to blast your idea, as it has merit and would probably be the best approach, but MacLowe is gonna MacBLowe the return.

28. dustrock says:

su_dhillon: Also if the Oilers are drafting 3rd or 4th I think you work hard to deal that pick for a top pairing D.

Great. Who would you suggest? Which team would give up a top defenceman for the 3rd pick? Unless you’re looking at someone like Seabrook.

29. Ducey says:

I am not sure Marner is the guy.

He plays for London (as did Schremp and Gagner (and lots of other NHLers)) who are notorious for playing their top guys a lot.

He plays with Max Domi (12th overall last year) and Christian Dvorak (2nd rounder – man that was a good pick for ARI) and I would bet they play a ton.

Then I look at how he scores. 15 of his 44 goals are on the PP. The OHL does track PP assists. I went thru his January games as that was his best month (and I am too lazy to go thru his whole year). He went 10 gp 8 17 25. He scored 3 PP goals and 12 PP assists. So 15 of his 25 points were on the PP. Another was on an empty net goal.

I have not seen him play. I know little about him. But he is a smaller winger who appears to be making a pretty good living with some good linemates, on the PP, and I suspect, lots of TOI.

I think I would tend to favour Hanifin. MacKenzie has him at #3 http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-hockey-fans-will-soon-know-the-name-hanifin-1.88237 and describes him as having world class wheels and elite offensive ability. Plug him in with Nurse in a few years and suddenly there would be no problem with your top pairing.

30. Rondo says:

Brock Otten of OHL Prospects

Marner vs. Sam Bennett

“Still give the edge to Bennett.

That’s not a slight to Marner. He’s a great prospect and my 2nd ranked guy behind McDavid from the O.

But Bennett has a lot of the same qualities that Marner does, but is the more physically assertive player and has a better “overall” game.”

Re: Bennett versus Marner

They are similar players in some regards.

Both players are relentless in puck pursuit and excel as forecheckers.

Both players are exceptionally smart in the offensive end and do a great job of creating scoring chances.

They’re similar size and both project as potential top line NHL players.

Bennett is the better NHL prospect IMO, but by a slight margin. Bennett is the more physical player. He’s also a little better defensively right now. And Bennett is the slightly better skater. That’s not because Marner is a poor skater, but because Bennett is an exceptional skater (on the same level as McDavid in terms of edging and agility).

31. SwedishPoster says:

I’m not sure the book is written on Marner being able to move back into the middle, from what I’ve seen he looks like he could and might even be better suited at center. There were guys following London claiming he actually looks better at center. Either way he should be back in the OHL next season playing #C, even if he eventually ends up on the wing, it’ll help him improve his defense. Then we’ll see how he handles it.
    And on the whole RW being crowded issue, Marner should go back to juniors next season, be protected on the third line(or in the AHL) the following season and not until the season after that at the earliest, depending on his developement, you might have to start worrying about having too many skilled wingers. Unless ofc it turns out he can play center in the show.

If drafted he’ll be a prospect and as far as prospect depth goes we lack in order: Goalies, Wingers, C and D. We do ofc lack high end D prospects outside of Nurse so there’s obviously an argument for picking Hanifin anyway. And you can never have to many centers so there’s an argument for Strome as well if we decide Marner will never play C, but Marner to me looks like the superior player compared to Strome. Trickier to compare with Hanifin since one is a D and the other a FWD playing in different leagues.

32. vinotintazo says:

Rondo,

We’ll see who’s better in the long run. I still think Marner is better, just IMO

33. Rebuilder says:

The pot of gold for me today was

“(this is a race between the tortoise against the comatose tortoise)”

Gold

34. Showerhead says:

Bohologo,

This is awesome. I only know one word in Russian and I think it is a happy exclamation so “harasho”! Of course I have no idea if I spelled it right or what it means exactly but a Russian soldier bought me a beer in Barcelona once for saying it at the right time so it can’t be all bad. Ha.

Based on those quotes Slepyshev sounds like quite the team first, “I say dedicated cliches because I genuinely believe in them” sort of guy. I love his attitude and hope he has success.

Speaking of Russians with good attitude, has anyone seen the articles going around on Twitter about Yakupov and his random acts of kindness? It seems he has a habit of randomly buying dinners for homeless people and then genuinely engaging with them which I think is a wonderful think for a young man to do. If you had given me that kind of money at 20 I would probably have spent it all on beer.

35. Showerhead says:

As for the draft, it’s tough to be too unhappy.

I think most of us have written off Edmonton finishing last and my guess is that LT has it right: the pick will be 1st, 3rd, or 4th.

1st is a Connor McJesus Miracle
    3rd or 4th give one of Hanifin, Marner, or Strome (presumably).

Unless they go way off the board, I don’t see a way for Edmonton to avoid making themselves a better hockey team in the long run by choosing one of these guys. Sure, each player has a minor worry (taking a D so high, size, or zoomed-by-McDavid) but that’s life. They each look like great bets and Edmonton is bad enough to need help in all of the ways they provide.

So on draft day, my hope is to have a beer and then have another and then read the comments here at Lowetide.ca to find out what I think about the guys they take at 21 and 33.

36. Tarkus says:

Showerhead:
    Bohologo,

Nice. I believe that word means “good”.

Of course, the majority of what little Russian I know comes from “A Clockwork Orange”. Author Anthony Burgess brilliantly renders that word as “horrorshow”.

37. Rondo says:

Maybe Oilers trade down if they are the # 4 or # 5 for Mikko Rantanen

38. fuzzy muppet says:

You’re all wrong:

They will take Crouse…

because oilers

39. TheOtherJohn says:

Rondo

To extent that Woodlief’s comments on Hanifan and Ekblad being similar: Ekblad is 25 lbs heavier and has a ++ shot from the point. Someone here last week referrred to Hanifan as being akin to a 5 tool baseball player. Defensemen without a cannon from the point are not a 5 tool defensemen

Re Marner/Bennett: I would prefer like my undersized super skilled forwards not to be overly agresssive or they will get broken often when playing against men. So to the extent that is the basis upon which Bennett separates from Marne is physicalityr, I am ok with that. Last small guy that could play super physical and not get killed was Peca and I found that he tended to pick his spots on blowing people up

40. VOR says:

I find this thread fascinating: Gagner taking key draws, the amazing interview with Sleppy, and the Marner debate. But I feel the need to point that a lot of research has shown that Central Scouting does an excellent job of ranking the players in the first round of the draft. If CS has Marner third on draft day and the Oilers are picking third take Marner. If they have Hanifin third take him. It is simple and the math says it is the right call.

41. Genjutsu says:

Woodguy:
    TheOtherJohn,

Arizona is sending Sam Gagner out to win key draws. That says it all.

Last night vs LAK:

Gagner 4/15 – 27%
    Vitale 4/8 – 50%
    Chipchura 7/18 – 39%
    Arcobello 5/12– 42%

And we think our depth down the middle is poor.

That’s another world of bad.

TheOtherJohn:
    Woodguy,

Yup

Sneaky tank

43. Unicorns says:

I think Marner is fantastic. If Hanifin is in the range of Ekblad, franchise cornerstone defenseman, not a single flaw to his game, isn’t he BPA?

How much of a sure thing or how prolific does a winger have to be to b emore valuable than a top defenseman?

44. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: Sneaky tank

There’s nothing sneaky about what Arizona is doing.

45. LadiesloveSmid says:

Don’t think EDM can afford to take another winger over a high end D-man again. Marner’s supposed to be Kane/Giroux. Yak was supposed to be Ovechkin. I’m on the #JustSayNoah train so maybe by the time Hall wants out of town, they’ve got a pretty stacked defence.

Haven’t brought in a top pair guy since what? Souray? Looking at just homegrown talent now, and too much riding on Klefbom/Nurse to save the D

46. Showerhead says:

Tarkus: Nice.I believe that word means “good”.

Of course, the majority of what little Russian I know comes from “A Clockwork Orange”.Author Anthony Burgess brilliantly renders that word as “horrorshow”.

I’m embarrassed to say I’m unfamiliar with “A Clockwork Orange” but I will take wisdom wherever it comes from so thank you kindly for “good”.

47. Dashingsilverfox says:

An interesting item this morning from Elliotte Friedman at the GM meetings in Florida.

I seems the league can, and likely will, raise the cap even if the players don’t invoke the escalator clause.

That would change the offseason dynamic for cap strapped teams considerably

48. sliderule says:

Marner as almost everyone knows has had a late growth spurt .This would suggest that that he will fill out later much like Nuge.The measurements at combine will be interesting

Marner has edge control and awareness that like Nuge makes him elusive and difficult to hit.

If is between Marner and Strome I think Marner is the clear choice.

49. HiddenDarts says:

Genjutsu: And we think our depth down the middle is poor.

That’s another world of bad.

50. wheatnoil says:

Dashingsilverfox:

That would change the offseason dynamic for cap strapped teams considerably

51. misfit says:

fuzzy muppet:
    You’re all wrong:

They will take Crouse…

because oilers

Except that doesn’t in any way match the Oilers’s drafting trends, or the verbal from MacT.

52. Dashingsilverfox says:

wheatnoil: That’s really interesting. What that means, if true, is that the cap next year likely won’t be sub-$70. Out of the GM Meetings today, there’s been lots of reports that the expected cap next year will be $71-72M, including the escalator. So, not high, but it does give cap-strapped teams an extra bit of wiggle room (compared to some estimates that were pegging the number at $68-69).

What I took away from the article is that the league, if it chooses to do so, could actually raise the cap by 5%.

I would think the Big Boy GM’s and owners like Jacobs, Wirtz, Dolan and Snider would be all over that.

They would have to get the PA to agree on that however.

53. Yeti says:

Bohologo,

Thank you!!!
    And could I just say that, on the basis of this interview, I just love Comrade Slepyshev.

54. Dashingsilverfox says:

HiddenDarts: Seeing this actually makes me very happy. We’ve been looking at Center charts like this for years and thought the team sucked becauseoilers. Looking at it with the context of Tippett as coach, I’m pretty sure we can say “becauseplayers.”

Jack Eichel

Max Domi

Henrik Samuelsson

Kyle Chipchura

Very young and not experienced but also very promising.

You have to wonder if they’ll try and move Gagner out at the draft.

55. Ice Sage says:

Little Wing…?

So Hendrix it is, eh, LT?

‘Manic Depression’ sums it all up for these bipoilers and we fans

There was a disturbance in the force last night with another team actually, palpably, undeniably out-Oilering the Oilers… the evidence is above Groat road, apparently (to the tune of ‘Crosstown Traffic’???)

#JustSayNoah

Because Ekblad has a A+ shot, doesn’t mean that Hanifan is not a 5-tool defensemen. So Hanifan has a A-shot. Hanifan is a A+ skater. Ekblad isn’t.

Bogosian had an A+ shot. Pieterangelo (and Doughty) only A shots. Who became the better D? The guyw who were better skaters with better all around high level skills.

Marner/Strome is going back to junior next year, so Eberle/Yakupov/Draisaitl should be irrelevant to that decision.

Hanifan and Eichel are AHL eligible. One can give both Nurse and Hanifan 40 games in the AHL.

The high drafted D who underwhelmed were all poor skaters…Barker, Gudbranson, etc.

The opportunity to get elite defensemen are few and far between. Hanifan has a much larger scarcity factor than Marner. Elite D is the key to contending more than anything else.

57. wheatnoil says:

Dashingsilverfox: Assuming Arizona gets one of McDavid or Eichel, their centre depth might actually look pretty good as early as next season.

Jack Eichel

Max Domi

Henrik Samuelsson

Kyle Chipchura

Very young and not experienced but also very promising.

You have to wonder if they’ll try and move Gagner out at the draft.

Oh DSF, I hope you never change! This is a classic DSF centre depth chart.

The funny thing is, as is often the case, you make some good points. I actually agree Arizona would look a lot better with McDavid or Eichel and I think Maloney is a smart GM, so I don’t think that franchise will spend too much time at the bottom.

However, the depth chart you’ve listed has a 1C and 2C that have never played in the NHL, a 3C who is actually listed as a RW on their AHL team and didn’t play centre during his 2 NHL career games so far, and a 4C who was on waivers earlier this year (who the Oilers should have picked up).

I think they’d benefit from having Gagner for another year, perhaps acquiring another stop-gap centre even if they do get McEichel, starting Domi in the AHL, and keeping Samuelsson as a RW.

58. TheOtherJohn says:

wheatnoil,

That is a very good looking centre depth chart moving forward. 2016/17

Would you want that more than:

Nuge
    Draisatl
    Lander
    Yak2

Rondo: Woodlief also said Hanifin = Ekblad.

My preference would be Hanifin over Marner

If the Oilers pick 3rd I’m in the Hanifin camp.

I’m coming to the belief that all offence is created on the turnover and the turnover in the dzone with quick exit with possession is the most common turn over that turns into offence.

Being the best team at the most common turn over will result in being the best team.

Dashingsilverfox,

Henrik Samuelsson

Pretty sure Samuelsson was wing in WHL and is wing in AHL.

Arizona still has Hanzal, when he isn’t hurt that is.

62. Dashingsilverfox says:

wheatnoil,

I think it’s highly unlikely Domi plays in the AHL next season unless he’s absolutely awful in training camp.

While I agree that that’s a very inexperienced group, as I stated, Arizona has to start selling hope and with Eichel, Domi, Duclair , Samuelsson, Perlini and Dvorak all in the pipeline, that’s a pretty nice set of young forwards going forward when you consider Tobias Rieder and Mikkel Bodker are still young and improving.

And, because of his back surgery, I didn’t include Martin Hanzal on the “young:” centre depth chart.

He’s under contract for another two seasons so they have a vet to help out and could allow one or two of the youngster to start on the wing.

Still lots of work to do on D though.

63. wheatnoil says:

TheOtherJohn:
    wheatnoil,

That is a very good looking centre depth chart moving forward. 2016/17

Would you want that more than:

Nuge
    Draisatl
    Lander
    Yak2

Hmmmm… good question.

Likely Eichel > Nuge in the long-term, but lets not forget that Eichel has yet to play an NHL game so is still at least somewhat of an unknown. Plus, it may take a couple years before he’s truly an impact player. I’d say Nuge>Eichel for the next two years, then flip it.

Drai = Domi. Both have had success at the Junior level. Domi has never played at the NHL level. Drai has played but didn’t produce. Domi is a year older than Drai. Drai is currently producing 1.55 p/g in the WHL. In his draft+1 year Domi produced 1.53 p/g. Drai is a much larger player than Domi. I think Drai > Domi, but I don’t think we can make a prediction this early in their career, so I’m sawing them off as even.

Yak2 > Samuelsson. Samuelsson is not a centre.

Lander > Chipchura. I’ve moved Lander down to Chipchura because I think they’d both end up in the heavy D-zone start role. I quite like Chipchura and I think he plays his role well. However, I think Lander may be just as good defensively and Lander has 13 points in 26 games this year, while Chipchura has 12 points in double the number of games, while being 5 years older. While acknowledging Lander does not have the track record of success that Chipchura has, by the time Eichel and Domi are impactful, Chipchura would be 32 or so and may be declining, where as Lander would be in his prime.

So based on that, I’d still choose Edmonton’s anemic centre depth chart, even if the Coyotes drafted Eichel and the Oilers drafted Marner or Hanifan… though it’s close.

64. Numenius says:

godot10: I’m fine with Marner over Strome (I was a Bennett guy over everyone but Ekblad).

Could Provorov end up being better than Hanifin? Hanifin is a nice package, but there are questions about his offence and some wonder if he ends up as a Bouwmeester type – a great defenceman but without the elite offence. He also doesn’t seem to have an edge to his game.

Watching some Provorov footage, on the other hand, shows someone very much a Doughty type with those things Hanifin lacks: elite puck carrying and offensive skills and an edge. To be fair, Hanifin may be a better and possibly faster skater. I’m not saying Provorov could reach the Doughty level, but it’s a good question to ask. I wonder if he’d ultimately be the right pick even at 3?

As for Strome vs. Marner, I’ve had questions about Strome’s defensive awareness and compete level, and I also (without any significant sample size to speak of) don’t get the sense that he has the personality to become truly elite, whereas Marner seems to have all of these things. But Button seems to be convinced Strome’ll become a 1st line C and ranks him before Marner. This is making me rethink and at least be more open to a Strome selection at 3.

Might the real question, then, be Strome vs. Provorov? I’m wondering.

65. wheatnoil says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Agreed, the Coyotes have some nice prospects on forward. Reider looks like a gem. The Oilers could really use him.

66. TheOtherJohn says:

Samuelsson played both C and W but when Lazar and Samuelsson played together on Mem Cup team HS was the centre

67. Ducey says:

Woodguy:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Henrik Samuelsson

Pretty sure Samuelsson was wing in WHL and is wing in AHL.

And Max Domi has played LW all season with London.

68. RexLibris says:

Re: Marner v Hanifin

Either one is a solid addition.

Offense flows from puck-moving D. The G and D collect the puck from the opposition and make the transition play to the Fs. I place a very high premium on players who can do this quickly, efficiently and consistently, hence my preference for players like Jeff Petry.

I don’t give a hoot if the player is able to knock someone on their keister, they need to strip the puck and make the pass.

You could have all the top forwards in the league in your top six, or even top nine, rotation, but if the defense is weak then the forwads have to come too far back to the zone to assist to present much of a scoring threat when they make a rush.

All that being said, and while adding Hanifin to Marincin (please dear lord in heaven don’t let MacTavish trade this young man), Nurse and Klefbom would be a significant building block, it is hard to overlook someone with the scoring prowess of Marner. It would almost certainly set the clock ticking on Yakupov’s departure, but at least the Oilers have enough depth that they likely wouldn’t be too tempted to rush him into the NHL.

I will say this, though, so long as Bob Green is the one making the call I will trust in his judgement.

69. Rebuilder says:

We as oilers nation need to draft 3rd or 4th this year. Can you imagine May and June when we already know who the pick is going to be. What are we going to disucss, what debates will there be. No my friends, as fans, we need something to talk about until the draft, and three potential equal players, in different postions can be dissected and debated right up until the draft, then after the draft we can start disucssiong the future of said player, the training camp, etc. If we know in mid April it is going to be McEichel, we would be happy for a day or two and bored the rest of the summer. (until the RE series of course)

70. TheOtherJohn says:

godot10: Arizona still has Hanzal, when he isn’t hurt that is.

Hanzal has played 22 less games over last 5 years than Taylor Hall

yet another thng to blame on Eakins

71. Alpine says:

Numenius,

Gotta consider defensive ability with D too, as much as skating + offence are important. Hanifin’s got quite an edge in size too so that should help him against bigger players more than Provorov imo. Despite not being snarly, he will engage players physically. It reminds of the 2012 draft a lot where you basically had 5-6 D near the top with varying strengths and styles and it all came down to preference. Hanifin compares stylistically to Murray and Lindholm quite well while Provorov is more in the Rielly/Dumba/Trouba mold. All those guys have translated pretty well to the NHL, but I lean more to the first group as being better.

72. wheatnoil says:

The person to add in this Hanifin – Provorov discussion is Werenski. The guy is actually 6 months younger than Hanifan (doesn’t turn 18 until July) and is in the top 10 among all D in points/game in the NCAA (and he’s first among freshmen D). That’s pretty impressive offense.

Numenius: What do you think of Craig Button’s new rankings? He now has Strome 3rd ahead of Marner and has Hanifin lower than Provorov. I was initially like you in preferring Marner to Strome and Hanifin to both, but now with Button’s change and after looking at some shift by shift highlights (small sample I know), I’m not as sure.

Craig Button thought Dumba was the best prospect in his year. Dallas and Calgary didn’t draft defensemen well in Button’s time in Dallas and Calgary apart from Derian Hatcher. He seems to like guys who hit more than Lidstrom-types…

There is nothing wrong with Hanifan’s offense. As a 17-year old playing against men in college for the first month, he had a slow start, like Marner did in junior. Since that first month, Hanifan has been rock-n-rolling offensively.

74. Ca$h-Money! says:

godot10,

Button is the most visible individual associated with any of these lists. All of the other major lists are linked to a group or an entity, whereas Button stands alone. On top of that, he’s a regular television personality. For those reasons I’ve always felt that Button is more of a pot-stirrer compared to some of the others. He often seems to have several picks in the top end of the draft that are drastically different than the other groups, likely so that he has something to discuss on TV and radio leading up the draft. I’m sure he’s right at times, but for me Button’s list is of less value than the others in terms of looking at the overall picture.

Not that it’s not useful, but for me it’s an entertaining sidepiece.

75. G Money says:

Ca$h-Money!,

Button has a decent track record as a scouting director, but I would say you’re right. Button’s list is not a scouting list, it is a ranking for TV.

It’s entertainment.

Controversy is more fun than dry accuracy anyday.

Beside’s, no one is going to know if he’s right or wrong for three or four years at least, and by then another four controversial lists will have captured everyone’s attention.

Does anyone remember Button’s list from four years ago?

76. Pouzar says:

G Money,

I know he didn’t like Drai too much for a while.

77. G Money says:

Pouzar:

I know he didn’t like Drai too much for a while.

And that’s the beauty of being in the entertainment business.

If he’s right, I’m sure he’ll make it a point to talk about how he was right and everyone else was wrong.

If he’s wrong, who’ll ever hold him to account?

78. thejonrmcleod says:

G Money,

I’ve always thought about making a website that tracks predictions made by sports personalities.

79. Unicorns says:

wheatnoil:

The Oilers have a first forward line and probably another elite in Yak, but only 2 top prospects on D in Nurse and Klef. I like Marincin but he isn’t in that class.

But they are not sure fire first pairing at this point. And they are the only 2. I think macT should look at pairing the Pitts first and a second and try to get up to one of the top 4-5 D in this draft if they pick a forward first. The value of the picks works for both teams. And possibly even if they pick a D first especially if there is a righty in the top at draft time.

80. striker says:

BPA

81. Ca$h-Money! says:

Button’s final 2012 draft list (for example)

1. Nail Yakupov 1 Sarnia (OHL) 10/6/93 RW L 5’11/189 42 31 38 69 +15
    2. Mathew Dumba 2 Red Deer (WHL) 7/25/94 D R 5’11/183 69 20 37 57 -6
    3. Morgan Rielly 3 Moose Jaw (WHL) 3/9/94 D L 6’0/190 18 3 15 18 +6
    4. Alex Galchenyuk 4 Sarnia (OHL) 2/12/94 C L 6’1/197 2 0 0 0 -4
    5. Teuvo Teravainen 5 Jokerit (FIN) 9/11/94 RW L 5’11/165 40 11 7 18 -5
    6. Griffin Reinhart 6 Edmonton (WHL) 1/24/94 D L 6’3/202 58 12 24 36 +23
    7. Filip Forsberg 7 Leksands (SWE) 8/13/94 LW R 6’2/181 53 10 10 20 +1
    8. Malcolm Subban 8 Belleville (OHL) 12/21/93 G L 6’1/188 39 25 2.50 .923 3
    9. Matt Finn 9 Guelph (OHL) 2/24/94 D L 6’0/195 61 10 38 48 -13
    10. Hampus Lindholm 10 Rogle (SWE) 1/20/94 D L 6’2/196 36 2 7 9 +7
    11. Cody Ceci 11 Ottawa (OHL 12/21/93 D R 6’2/207 64 17 43 60 +21
    12. Jacob Trouba 13 USNTDP 2/26/94 D R 6’2/193 54 9 23 32 –
    13. Ryan Murray 12 Everett (WHL) 9/27/93 D L 6’0/205 46 9 22 31 E
    14. Mark Jankowski 14 Stanstead (Quebec Prep) 9/13/94 C L 6’2/170 57 53 40 93 +51
    15. Andrei Vasilevski 15 Ufa (KHL) 7/25/94 G L 6’3/204 27 – 2.23 .931 –
    24. Scott Laughton 25 Oshawa (OHL) 5/30/94 C L 6’0/177 64 21 32 53 +8
    25. Gemel Smith 26 Owen Sound (OHL) 4/16/94 LW L 5’10/160 68 21 39 60 E
    26. Brady Skeji 27 USNTDP 3/26/94 D L 6’2/200 60 4 19 23 –
    27. Sebastien Collberg 28 Frolunda (SWE) 2/23/94 RW R 5’11/176 23 9 8 17 +2
    28. Olli Maatta 30 London (OHL) 8/22/94 D L 6’1/202 58 5 27 32 +25
    29. Henrik Samuelsson 54 Edmonton (WHL) 2/7/94 RW R 6’2/195 28 7 16 23 +18
    30. Phillip Di Giuseppe 29 Michigan (CCHA) 10/9/93 LW L 5’11/176 40 11 15 26 +23

He was high on Dumba all year (had him at #2 midway), saw Forsberg drop from 3 at midway to 7.

He accurately had Grigerenko further back than concensus, so that was good.
    He had Jankowski at #14…. which is still funny to this day
    He was never high on Ryan Murray, not having him in the top 10 in this list.

Like I said, interesting, sure, and occasionally accurate. But then again if you throw enough haymakers you are bound to connect once or twice.

82. G Money says:

thejonrmcleod,

If you do, make sure you have sections for “Stupid things said by …” [Spector, Cox, Simmons, etc]!

83. 719 says:

Hanifin and Strome as the #3 and #4 for me.

Marner’s size will cause his draft number to fall, like the Gagner’s of old.

84. jbfuzz says:

Silly, totally off-topic question. Any way the Oilers can get Anisimov out of CBJ – there is a definite strength down the middle mixed with weakness at W. Purcell + something for Anisimiov?

85. Ducey says:

Its hard to criticize Button as he has not been mock drafting long enough

Button’s top 10 2009 from a HF post:
    10-tim erixon
    9- Jared Cowen
    8-Nazim Kadri
    7-Magnus Paarjarvi-svensson
    6-Jacob Joseffson
    5-Brayden Schenn
    4-Oliver Ekman-Larsson
    3-Matt Duchesne
    2-John Tavares
    1-Viktor Hedman

Big miss at #1. Didn’t have E. Kane. Joseffson didn’t go until 20th. Missed Kreider. Kulikov, Leddy …

86. Ducey says:

Similarly, taken from a HF post Button’s 2010 mock top 10
    1. Tyler Seguin
    2. Taylor Hall
    3. Cam Fowler
    4. Brandon Gormley
    5. Brett Connolly
    6. Kirill Kabanov
    7. John McFarland
    8. Vladimir Tarasenko
    9. Riley Sheahan
    10. Jack Campbell

Meh, McFarland at 7 would have gotten someone fired (he went 33). Kabanov didn’t go until 65. And a goalie at 10? No Johanssen (he went 4th)

Looks like he isn’t immune from criticism.

87. wheatnoil says:

I’m not a huge Button fan, but before we bury him completely, we should keep in mind that any scout’s list is going to have some hits and some misses. The question is how he compares to other lists or the consensus and whether his outliers are more commonly hits or misses.

88. Rocknrolla says:

Is there a site that rates Button, MacKenzie, Red Line etc, on how accurate they were with their picks? I think someone earlier said Central Scouting has been the closest?

89. Bank Shot says:

The Oilers need to draft for need and take the defenseman 3rd overall, or if they finish 4th make sure that Phoenix doesn’t take him.

We all know that you can’t build a team solely from forwards and no one wants to trade their top pairing defenseman for a winger.

2nd tier wingers are plentiful. Look a St.Louis who just gave Perron away. No one does that with top 3 defenders.

Rocknrolla:
    Is there a site that rates Button, MacKenzie, Red Line etc, on how accurate they were with their picks?I think someone earlier said Central Scouting has been the closest?

McKenzie is the bible.

91. Yak2 says:

I have a (gut) feeling we’re gonna win the lottery…

92. kooler says:

Magnus Paarjarvi-Svensson…what would it take to get him back here and let Nelson have at him?

93. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: McKenzie is the bible.

I just had an image of Sam Pollock as Old Testament drafting. Barry Fraser as the New Testament?

And is MacKenzie the King James version, or are we talking old-school Latin?

Methinks the draft could use with a little Roman Catholic showmanship. Have Bettman walk down the aisle swinging a censer with Daly behind him reciting the names of the players who won the Stanley Cup.

94. Bank Shot says:

kooler:

$12 dollars?

The real question is why the Oilers would want him.

I say fill the roster with actual NHL players next season. No rookies. No guys that aren’t established players.

95. Oddspell says:

Yak2,

I have a gut feeling #3 overall (draft position obviously) will win the lottery. If that’s us, awesome!

96. Ducey says:

kooler:

Nelson did coach MPS for 2 yrs in the minors. MPS needs more time in the minors if he is going to turn it around.

Anyway, how is MPS an any better fit for the Oilers than Pitlick or Pakarenin (other than he is not currently broken)?

In the AHL this year Pakarinen had 28 pts in 39 games (.72 ppg). MPS has 14 in 21 (.666).

With MPS you get all the same lousy NHL production but with the benefit of no hitting and no grit.

97. djs says:

Oddspell,

For what it’s worth, I ran the simulator 100x and the Oil came out on top most often with 21 (BUF had 13). I’m not an expert on the lottery odds, but for that to happen I would have to think our man Tambo picked the balls himself using his lucky tie.

Edit: I realized you were talking specifically about the third position, not the Oilers. If ARZ ends up winning after being such a tight race down the finish, I’m going to lose my freaking mind. If TOR wins, I’m going to storm the gates of hell and demand permission to enter…because that would be a better (life?)

98. Dashingsilverfox says:

There are all sorts of reasons why it would be good for the NHL if Toronto won the lottery and selected Connor McDavid.

There is no other market where he would get that kind of marketing exposure.

Canadian TV ratings, which are hugely dependent on the Toronto fan base are dropping due to the state of the Leafs. Remember that nearly 25 percent of Canada’s population lives in the GTA AND they have fans all over the rest of the country.

And, of course, Rogers, part owner of the Leafs, is pumping $5.2 billion into NHL coffers over the next dozen years. Does Bettman owe them a solid, or what?

Even those other team owners who are mainly in the game for the money, might be happy to see Toronto walk away with McDavid since that is the most profitable outcome for them too.

The question is…is the lottery “managed”?

99. Bank Shot says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    The question is…is the lottery “managed”?

It’s not.

Why would Bettman risk his $9 million a year and his reputation when McDavid will benefit the league no matter where he plays?

Also they have an audit firm worth billions of billions of dollars that oversees the process. They aren’t going to risk their reputation by allowing a piss ant org on the global scale like the NHL rig the lotto.

It might be possible if the lottery was done in Bettman’s basement with homemade ping pong balls, but it isn’t. It’s a legitimate lottery.

100. djs says:

Dashingsilverfox,

The Leafs haven’t been anywhere near contender status for a long, long time…but there is all of a sudden a sense of urgency to save the franchise for the sake of the league? I think that is short sighted and I don’t buy it. Gary Bettman does not owe TO a damn thing.

What I meant (and probably should have clarified more) is that it would be hilariously unfair for EDM to draft 1st overall 3x in a row, show no progress 5 years in, and then have TO tank for one season and draft a generational talent.

Key point…hilariously unfair to Oiler fans. Probably very deserving for this mgmt team.