I think we’re all agreed that the Edmonton Oilers will be adding very few pieces to the roster over the summer. Based on MacT’s math (80%) we’re looking at four or five players added to the mix. One suspects the shopping list (G, D, D, C, W) is known and we can also make a reasonable list of possible items for bait (draft picks, young, inexpensive and close to NHL-ready players). Let’s have a look at some of the obvious items that could fetch some help this summer.
- The Penguins first-round selection (currently No. 22 overall). If a team like Chicago is looking to offload a veteran like Patrick Sharp (who might replace David Perron) the pick could be part of the package.
- The Oilers second-round selection (currently No. 33 overall). This pick might have extreme value the night after Round 1, as teams on the outside looking in (no first round selection) may have an attractive option fall to the second day.
- Martin Marincin. I remain convinced he’s a player but Edmonton doesn’t love him based on MacT verbal. Marincin has been in trade rumors before and a team wanting to reduce cap issues would be well served in getting him. Marincin is an RFA but the team acquiring him would have the player under control for some time.
- Leon Draisaitl. If Edmonton drafts McDavid or Eichel—maybe even Strome—there’s a chance they decide Leon is available for the right return. I’m not suggesting it’s a clear direction for the team but you have to give in order to get on a deal.
- Teddy Purcell. Actual NHL player, this issue is that he’s overpaid. If Edmonton can include him in a deal—perhaps retaining some salary—I imagine several NHL teams would be interested in adding a perfectly useful veteran.
- Luke Gazdic. Enforcer has miles to go on his career, Edmonton may feel they can proceed without one (or that they can afford to deal him). This blog sometimes undervalues enforcers but Gazdic will have value in certain corners of the league.
I don’t see the Oilers trading Eberle or Hall this summer. I do see some major additions—Antti Niemi, Dan Girardi, Derek Roy, possibly the lottery selection depending on who it is—and I think we may see that first-round pick dealt away.