THE DIRTY DOZEN

The Edmonton Oilers have been using their farm team heavily all season. Some of that came via bizarre roster decisions (I’ll never understand the thought process that went into arriving at the opening night roster) and much of it came via injury. Several youngsters took full advantage and look like they may have finished their minor league auditions. Others may have proven they are not meant for the higher league.

THE GRADUATES

• C Anton Lander. We always knew he had talent but it took exactly forever for it to arrive at the NHL level. Patience pays off and the Oilers have a two-way center. If you’re curious, it took him 136 AHL games (or two seasons) to get here. I think Lander would have arrived for good far sooner if Tom Renney had simply sent him to the AHL fall 2011. Lordy.
  • D Oscar Klefbom. He’s dreamy. Full stop. Oscar Klefbom skates like we all want to, just a tremendous athlete and a natural at the defensive position. He’ll need time to learn and grow but man what a player. 57 AHL games and 66 in the NHL, meaning it took him less than a full season to find the range.

STRONG CANDIDATES

• D Martin Marincin. I’m still not certain he plays the heart of his NHL career in Edmonton but he got his start here and that’s for sure.  No doubt in my mind the smart NHL teams have marked him. 126 AHL and 74 NHL games, so (like Lander) about two years in the AHL before he found the range. Unless the Oilers send him back in the fall, which would be insanity.
  • R Iiro Pakarinen. He was very impressive in the AHL and showed enough at the NHL level I think we can safely call him an ‘early option’ for recall next year (if he doesn’t make the team). Astute signing. He is at 39 AHL games, 17 in the NHL.
  • C Bogdan Yakimov. Impressive size added to legit ability have Oilers fans legitimately excited about Yak2. He took some time to find the offensive range in OKC and is spiking as the season winds down. 57 AHL games, he has been in one NHL game this year.
  • R Tyler Pitlick. Our man Pitlick sure has had a time staying healthy. I think he may end up in another organization—the job he was applying for went to Rob Klinkhammer the moment that contract was signed—but he needs to have 80 healthy games in one season or none of this will matter. 159 AHL and 24 NHL games with the Oilers organization.

THE DISTANT BELLS

• D Brad Hunt: Interesting player. Brad Hunt has significant offensive ability but he’s also a bit of an adventure defensively. A more reliable defensive team might be able to house him as a bottom-pairing option, I don’t think the Oilers are that team. He has played 193 AHL games and will play tonight, and has been in 14 NHL games.
  • L Ryan Hamilton: Veteran winger with size and some offensive ability at the AHL-level. Speed is the concern here and despite signing an extension for next season I don’t see him as a legit NHL option. Has now played in 481 AHL games and 30 NHL games—18 of those 30 came as an Oiler.
  • R Steve Pinizzotto: Rugged winger played well enough in camp to make the grade but had to wait his turn. He was then sent down and injury has been an issue. He’s an older prospect, may not be here next season. 340 AHL games and 36 NHL games, 24 of those as an Oiler.
  • D Brandon Davidson: One of those depth defenders who keeps hanging around year after year. Sometimes they end up fading away and other times they end up playing 400 NHL games. Davidson’s story makes him someone we all cheer for and with good reason. 143 AHL and 4 NHL games in the Oilers organization.
  • D Jordan Oesterle. Puck-moving defender impressed the organization enough to jump ahead of Martin Gernat and David Musil among prospect blue and he beat Dillon Simpson to the NHL debut. 56 AHL and 4 NHL games this season.
  • R Andrew Miller: Made it for a cup of coffee and looked good in that quick look-see. I wonder if the Oilers plan on making him the final recall this year, as there was absolutely enough to warrant another look. Currently at 110 AHL games, all played before his first trip to the majors.
  • C Will Acton. I think I was the only blogger who liked him. He played with flotsam, penalty killed and never did get a fair shake as far as I know. You’d think the son of a coach would have had a better hand. 194 AHL games and 33 NHL when he exited the system.

Keith Aulie and Richard Bachman were also part of the fun but I don’t consider either player a prospect due to NHL experience gained before their Edmonton arrival.

57 Responses to "THE DIRTY DOZEN"

1. Cory Dakin says:

I consider the opening night roster to be the “Connor McDavid rope-a-dope”.

Basically, how much BS can we spew to make it sound like we really believe we have a roster, but still have a great shot at winning the draft lottery.

2. oliveoilers says:

I think Will Acton was the victim of some reverse nepotism spin, “look, if we played favourites, Will would be on a line with Taylor, right?”

Unfortunately, he was sunk when Gordon demanded his lunch while French kissing his mum. Will’s mum, that is. Not Gordon’s. That’s…….a little too Norman Bates.

I like Klef plenty, Marincin is the new Petry, Lander has landed, the rest? These are the flotsam and jetsam that have to decide whether they want to be an NHL player. No good asking MacT, he doesn’t know.

3. SVR says:

With all the call ups thisyear, its amazing how the Barons just keep winning hockey games. Any thoughts on the main reasons for their success? Coaching, system, or players stepping up? There has definately been alot of opportunity for those prospects to take larger roles as they watched the leaders leave for the show

4. G Money says:

I actually feel like Jordan O deserves better than “Distant Bell”. Maybe not yet a strong candidate, but I was impressed.

There are legit NHL defenders that look like rookies when paired with Ference.

Here’s a guy not even one season in and he actually looked OK at times with Ference. Better than Ference, actually.

The most important tools (skating, brain) are there, and best case is that the Oilers have found another decent all round defender, second or third pairing potential, in the Petry/Gilbert model line.

5. admiralmark says:

Via Allison Currie twitter acct.
    “I think people are more mixed about Nitkita Nikitin than I am”
    -MacT

“I almost gave up hope”
    MacT on Yakupov

“In my 35 years in the game, I have never seen such a transformation in just a few months.”
    MacT on Yakupov

The Nikitin comment is expected from him at this point. The 2 comments on Yakupov are disheartening because it indicates he was surprised and shocked by the results of pairing a young struggling player with a veteran?! How you can leave a 1st overall pick floundering like that for this long is unacceptable. I thought MacT had a sharp hockey mind but the last 2 years has all but eliminated any possibility of this.

6. speeds says:

Anyone have a recommendation for furnace service and repair in Edmonton?

speeds:
    Anyone have a recommendation for furnace service and repair in Edmonton?

I had a very good experience with A1 Heating. It’s a St. Albert company 780.458.0912. info@a1heating.ca

8. Pouzar says:

Oesterle bangs home the rebound. 2-1 OKC

1. OKC Moroz, (3) (Winquist, Simpson), 7:10
    2. OKC Oesterle, (7) (Stretch), 10:54

9. Melman says:

Re Marincin: flushing him would be ANOTHER clear sign of poor management. He’s not perfect, but he’s got a nice toolbox, has played the toughs for 2 years now, and one can expect will be more effective next year than either AF or NN…and on top of all that he’s going to be a cap positive contract. I’m know I’m going to be PO’d when he’s dealt with a 1st rounder for Seidenberg or someone like that.

Fun thought: It occurred to me today that it was getting close to this time last year Smytty announced his retirement, and the nostalgia in some (me) lamented that after all his years of dedication he was going to miss the return to sunshine by “this” much.

I’m happy for him, and can only imagine how thrilled he is that he spent the winter driving his kids to school instead of another wasted season on the ice.

10. Pouzar says:

Couldn’t pick who….but a brutal giveaway leads to a goal by SA. The OKC player tries to skate through 2 guys in front of the net and coughs it up

11. Pouzar says:

No Yak2

#OKCBarons are rolling three lines + 1 healthy forward on this fine Friday evening.

Pouzar:
    No Yak2

Yeah, Curtis Hamilton out too. All listed as injured/sick. So, don’t know but weird.

13. Pajamah says:

@LT

“Unless the Oilers send him back in the fall, which would be insanity. ”

You do realize the curse you’ve just placed on this young man? (or blessing that is, if he wants to go elsewhere)

My quote goes as follows “The Oilers can’t possibly be that stupid? Can they?”

And amazingly, something ridiculously stupid occurs.

14. Pouzar says:

UGH…

So I hear Slepy is playing in some Russian Jr league playoff now?
    Is he contractually obligated to do that? Seems like a huge waste of time
    to me if his intentions are to eventually come to N.A.

Pouzar:

UGH…

So I hear Slepy is playing in some Russian Jr league playoff now?
    Is he contractually obligated to do that? Seems like a huge waste of time
    to me if his intentions are to eventually come to N.A.

I don’t think those kids can sign yet. Someone said May 1 on twitter, I always thought it was after the playoffs over there. I do know there’s an agreement about it (or there was).

16. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: I don’t think those kids can signyet. Someone said May 1 on twitter, I always thought it was after the playoffs over there. I do know there’s an agreement about it (or there was).

Gotcha thx!

17. VOR says:

Admiral Mark,

I think MacT needs to learn to be a bit tighter lipped but I thought that when he coached. He has always sounded, at least from time to time more like a fan at a sports bar than a NHL coach or GM. I tend to agree with Woodguy that he is being honest. The thing is MacT’s public pronoucements are a very small part of his job and if we fans felt he was doing a better job we’d see his interview style as a funny and entertaining personality quirk.

I believe, as I have said here recently, that for the first time since 2006 I think the team is headed in the right direction. Would I have hired a rookie GM? Probably not. But would I fire MacT for his very public growing pains? Absolutely not. Once you hire a rookie GM these things are going to happen. It is a cost of the earlier decision.

The only two things that matter is if he learns from his mistakes and improves the organization. I would argue MacT’s admitting his failings to the press as he has is evidence he knows he made the wrong decisions in some pretty critical situations. Only time will tell us if he can learn to consistently make the right decision in enough situations to be a good to outstanding GM.

18. RexLibris says:

I don’t mind Slepyshev playing a little longer in the MHL if he’s getting a load of ice time.

It’d be nice to have him come over now and stay, but so long as he is playing and getting opportunities, then I’m alright with it.

19. rich says:

admiralmark:
    Via Allison Currie twitter acct.
    “I think people are more mixed about Nitkita Nikitin than I am”
    -MacT

“I almost gave up hope”
    MacT on Yakupov

MacT on Yakupov

Not to nitpick but I had no idea Oilers fans were mixed on Nikitin. Unless you consider the line between “brutal” and “secret agent for the opponent” to be mixed, I think the opinion of Oiler fans on this guy is pretty consistent.

Also think that MacT’s stubbornness is eventually going to be his demise, but not until we have another brutal winter because he is incapable of assessing d-men.

20. RexLibris says:

VOR,

Remember LT’s description of MacTavish’s job when he was first hired (VP of “Are You Sure You Want To Do That?”).

The problem as I see it is that that position has either been vacant since he was promoted to GM or is currently being filled by Scott Howson. In either case, it needs to be addressed.

21. Tire Fire says:

Bohologo: My guess is he’s hoping to be named to the Russian team for Worlds. I’ll check Russian press to see about any hints.

Awesome. We’ll all be so happy if you can track something down.

22. frjohnk says:

I believe Sleppys contract is until April 30 th

23. Pouzar says:

Yes that makes perfect sense. Seems I read something along those lines. Thx!

24. Numenius says:

My 2 cents on the Eakins/Nelson debate from last thread…

It’s interesting that in the 9 games since I last did these numbers in February (and since Petry was traded), Nelson’s numbers have roughly shifted in a way corresponding to the shift from Eakins ’13-’14 to Eakins ’14-’15, with one key exception.

————-
    Posted earlier:

Situation sv% sh% cf% G+/-
    Eakins ’13-’14 82 games
    5×5 .913 7.7 44.3 -50
    5×4 .853 12.5 86.1 34 (11 shorties against)
    4×5 .888 6.2 7.8 -47 (G+/- 7th worst in league) (3 shorties for, 50 PPGs against)
    All .901 9.0 44.6 -68

Eakins ’14-’15 31 games
    5×5 .902 6.5 50.9 -25
    5×4 .750 9.3 90 7 (5 shorties against)
    4×5 .860 10.0 10.0 -16 (G+/- 11th worst in league) (2 shorties for, 18 PPGs against)
    All .885 7.4 50.9 -38

Nelson Dec. 29-Feb. 27 14-’15 26 games
    5×5 .909 7.3 45.7 -20
    5×4 1.000 13.2 90.9 14 (no shorties against!)
    4×5 .830 15.4 10.9 -13 (G+/- 9th worst in league over that time) (2 shorties for, 15 PPGs against)
    All .899 8.8 47.8 -18
    ————-
    New material:

Nelson Feb. 27-Mar. 20 ’14-’15 9 games after his first 26 games listed above (all games no Petry)
    5×5 .899 5.9 48.6 -8
    5×4 .714 21.6 89.1 9 (2 shorties)
    4×5 .841 0.0 10.3 -7 (G+/- 8th worst in league) (0 shorties for, 7 PPGs against)
    All .874 8.5 49.6 -9 (G+/- 5th worst in league)

Nelson’s 5×5 sv% and sh% are now down to .899 and 5.9 respectively, even lower than Eakins’ ’14-’15 dismal shift to .902 and 6.5, whereas before Nelson had been at .909 and 7.3. Conversely, Nelson’s 5×5 Corsi is now up to 48.6 from 45.7, closer to Eakins’ ’14-’15 50.9 (from Eakins’ ’13-’14 44.3). If you take out the Minnie game on Feb. 28, Nelson’s cf% goes up to 49.1 (the other numbers stay effectively the same). It’s a small sample size, but the narrative that Nelson has had bad 5×5 Corsi and good PDO compared with Eakins has been false over the last 8-9 games. Instead, they’re very similar.

I’m not sure yet what it all means, but it’s weird that Nelson improved his 5×5 possession numbers after losing his best defenceman, while dropping sv% and sh% at the same time.

The one key exception to how this Nelson shift corresponds to the Eakins ’13-’14/’14-’15 shift pertains to the sh% on the PP, which has gone through the roof. Nelson’s recent PP sv% does correspond to the Eakins shift, going even lower than Eakins ’14-’15 (E: .750 vs. N: .714), but his sh% has gone up to 21.6 from 13.2 (cf. Eakins going down to 9.3 from 12.5), which is 4th in the league over that time period.

Very interesting.

25. Pouzar says:

Bohologo,

And that’s where I read it……..Man Old age is a bitch! Thx again

26. Suntory Hanzo says:

Side question for any Ontarioers out there. My brother is moving to Ontario – proximity to Toronto airport a must as he is a pilot.

They have heard good things about Barrie. All I know about Barrie is the Colts.

Can anyone give some advice you could pass on? Good areas/ places to stay away from? Either Barrie or another Toronto linked community.

Either here or bbillo@gmail.com

Thanks! I refer to so many comments on this site about everything else, I figured there might be some sage advice out there.

27. Pouzar says:

Winquist ties it up on a beauty give and go with Williams.

Josh Winquist is having a nice game, scored to tie it 3-3.

29. rickithebear says:

Evan Campbell: 1G 1A in 4-1 Umass-Lowell HE semifinal win.

30. pocession charge says:

rickithebear:
    Evan Campbell: 1G 1A in 4-1 Umass-Lowell HE semifinal win.

Marco Roy with 1-1-2 tonight, he’s 58GP, 26-24-50 for the year.

Kyle Platzer with 1-1-2 tonight, he’s 67GP, 33-47-80 for the year.

33. VOR says:

Rex Libris, I think the Oilers have some serious gaps in their management team. One thing they lack is indeed somebody to say, “are you sure you want to do that?” However, to me I am concerned that far too much attention is being paid to “fixing” the scouting at the amateur level and nowhere near enough to addressing obvious deficiencies in pro scouting. The other thing I’d argue they need is somebody who is responsible for getting value for money. We have seen what excellence in this area did for the New York Islanders over the last few years. They have many value contracts and have been able to add and retain expensive key parts this year as a result.

34. rickithebear says:

pocession charge: This is a bit awkward but I don’t think Evan Campbell dressed for tonight’s game.

damn it the HE schedule linked to the Feb 27 4-1 win.

Rather than the current box score on front page.

2 games HS WTF!

35. book¡je says:

which really makes him getting 1G and 1A even that much more impressive, no? I mean, I don’t even recall Gretzky doing that (though he probably did).

He actually played down the stretch and was posting good numbers. Wonder what happened.

37. Heinz 57 says:

Sometimes I pull my hair out over the bizarre unwillingness of even the most acute observer of the organization to connect the dots all the way back to the boundary condition.

Cult of Hockey RSS Feed The crucial failures in the Edmonton Oilers’ rebuild, as exposed by the Chicago Blackhawks

If we’re drawing up a list of failures here, Kevin Lowe’s decision not to emphasize the draft in the post-Chris Pronger period looms large.

From Edmonton Oilers [NHL] Farm Teams:

2005-2006 Hamilton Bulldogs†
    2005-2006 Iowa Stars†

†partial

In 2005–2006 the Oilers were in desperate need of an emergency dagger-wound dressing. The short-pursed EIG was not exactly throwing money at our procurement system.

———

Strider: Sambi, do you know Emphalas plant?

Sambi: Emphalas?

Strider: Ringsfoil.

Sambi: Ringsfoil — aye, it’s a weed.

Strider: It may help to fill the pantry. Hurry!

———

Who says Lowe didn’t walk around the office on draft day banging pots together while incanting “hut hut hut, hut hut, hut hut hut hut” to coax a few more emphatic quail eggs from the emaciated golden goose?

What good would it have done if he had?

The EIG wasn’t exactly laying on much nutritious soil-building Rebuild-Ready gluco-phosphorous growth hormone after landing the CFP stud stallion and late-season noise-making playoff accessories.

Then they started investing in seed with no soil.

A bad farmer drops a $1000 plant into a $1 hole in the ground. A good farmer drops a $1 plant into a $1000 soil bed.

A really bad farmer drop three consecutive $1000 plants into a three $1 holes in the ground.

Three tall trees now grow in a barren meadow.

38. Suntory Hanzo says:

book¡je: which really makes him getting 1G and 1A even that much more impressive, no?I mean, I don’t even recall Gretzky doing that (though he probably did).

Well…. Ovechkin did play both left and right wings on an allstar team. I only recall 99 playing centre. One of the great one’s weaknesses.

39. Ryan says:

One thing we all love about you Allen is your ability too look at the bright side of (Oiler) life.

I can see that you were really struggling here: http://oilersnation.com/2015/3/20/mact-s-best-move-year-two-you-make-the-call

🙂

Pouliot’s been good. Fayne sort of came in as Petry’s replacement, so not much of an uptick there if any.

Nelson was the internal candidate, so basically the next in line when I don’t think there were many external candidates available. While it’s worked well enough, it was sort of an automatic decision.

Roy’s been good for Yak, but he’s also waited two years for a veteran centre. Roy also sailed thru waivers before the Arcobello trade, so again not terribly innovative.

While I lack an online MBA, I’m pretty sure I could’ve managed the latter two moves which doesn’t say much. 🙂

40. admiralmark says:

VOR,

Well you are a whole lot more optimistic about him as GM then I am. For me there exists a glaring issue with the Pro scouting as well as the GM’s ability to assess D men. It appears that the bloggers have a better read on players months if not years before MacT does. Jultz, Nikitin, Ference were all handed massive responsibility to run the D. These were/are his golden childs. Petry/Marincin were two players he clearly had no belief in until it was glaringly obvious Petry was the best D he had. The handling of Yak, Draisaitl, Perron… For me personally I have seen enough. I think his stubborness is his greatest strength when he played but his greatest weakness in making the right moves at the right times regarding personel. IF he does not pick up 2 top 4 veteran D men this off season and buyout or trade 1 of Nikitin/Ference then I have seen enough. Making the young D players play with Ference and Nikitin is not in the best interest of their development. Enough is enough. And him saying he’s content with the D as it stands is ridiculous if he actually believes this. I guess i’ll leave the door open to the possibility he is learning and adjusting. But its truly stretching my belief system after the last 2 seasons.

41. Tire Fire says:

Kyle Platzer with 1-1-2 tonight, he’s 67GP, 33-47-80 for the year.

I only saw him play one game live this year but he impressed. Doesn’t ooze slick skills like the upper stratosphere picks we’ve been spoiled with lately, but plays a very smart game and has obviously learned how to start racking up points. We’ll obviously have to see how he does as the game gets faster, but I think he’s got a decent shot at a career of some kind in the big leagues.

Ryan:

I can see that you were really struggling here:http://oilersnation.com/2015/3/20/mact-s-best-move-year-two-you-make-the-call

Pouliot’s been good.Fayne sort of came in as Petry’s replacement, so not much of an uptick there if any.

Nelson was the internal candidate, so basically the next in line when I don’t think there were many external candidates available.While it’s worked well enough, it was sort of an automatic decision.

While I lack an online MBA, I’m pretty sure I could’ve managed the latter two moves which doesn’t say much.:)

I always try to frame issues in a fair way, so yeah it was a struggle to do it with that post. When you go back over this season, and I will in the RE series, it’s baffling to see the decisions that were made by management about the roster. Incredible.

43. Clay says:

Dr. Drai with the assist on the OT winner. 1-3-4 in a 4-3 win. Pretty tidy.

44. pocession charge says:

Draisaitl with a nice game tonight: 1G, 3A. He looked great in the faceoff circle, too.

Another tweet from Allison Currie from the Oiler’s luncheon:

Allison Currie @AlleyDalley · 16h 16 hours ago
    “I want players who have the Oilers tattoo on their rear end.”
    “It’s a loser’s game to trade young players”
    -MacT #Oilers

I like that one.

Here’s another one that dovetails with the paragraph that I will post below it:

Allison Currie @AlleyDalley · 16h 16 hours ago
    “It’s no secret around the league that Detroit is a model franchise.”
    -MacT

Here’s two paragraphs from the Dan Rosen interview with MacT that LT linked to the other day:

MacTavish also wouldn’t promise roster spots to Nurse and Draisaitl for next season. Nurse was Edmonton’s first-round pick in 2013 (No. 7); Draisaitl was the No. 3 pick in the 2014 NHL Draft.

“Our assessment of those guys, and anybody that comes in from this point forward, is you’re going to have to really knock it out of the park in training camp to start on our team,” MacTavish said. “I don’t want to say that they won’t, but at the same time I think the American Hockey League is a very good stepping stone to the National Hockey League. If you’re going to make mistakes and there are going to be growing pains we want to make sure that it’s done down there, and when they do come up here they’re ready to play and ready to be dominant forces, much like we’re seeing in Klefbom.”

Source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=38063

He’s saying all the right things again.

Will MacT be able to resist starting Nurse and DrySaddle in the NHL next year?

I don’t know.

Like LT says, you being to have a history with these things……

46. SwedishPoster says:

Woodguy,

Yeah, his comments suggest they’ve learnt something from the latest failures but with how jaded this org has made us all there really is no benefit of doubt to be handed out. The truth will reveal itself in the Oiler pudding. Here’s to hoping.
    The tattoo comment feels very MacT.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Can’t find anything on Campbell. But, he’s soundly in Lowell’s top 6. I highly doubt they are benching him for the fun of it.

Most likely he has some undisclosed injury.

This is also a good time to pledge to eat my hat and apologize to Bob Brown if Evan Campbell ever manages to make the NHL. This season is the first encouraging sign of life. Good for Evan.

here’s some almost adv stats on the man and his team

48. knighttown says:

Speaking of the Detroit Model, I was just leafing through the future watch addition of the hockey news and I noticed that Detroit has six of the top 75 prospects affiliated with NHL teams. The average should of course be 2.5. They also have two of the top 10 in Dylan Larkin and Anthony Mantha.

And of course they’ve done this without picking inside the top 15 ever.

49. knighttown says:

knighttown:

And of course they’ve done this without picking inside the top 15 ever.

And of course the Oilers have the two slamdunks in Leon and nurse. After that it’s a wasteland. Because it’s impossible to find legitimate prospects once the draft gets into double digits.

50. sliderule says:

Heinz 57,

I am no fan of Lowe but Willis was wrong in saying that he did not accumulate draft picks.

Chicago had 49 picks in 2002-2005 and oilers had 44.Willis had a number for the oilers in the twenties but he was wrong.

The oilers drafted poorly compared to Hawks but they had lots of bullets.

51. PhrankLee says:

Man there are nothing but crickets chirping at the top of the 2012 2nd round.

Not a particularly deep draft but Mitch Moroz is having a heartbreak year.

Nice to see Nail and Alex Galchenyuk are almost exactly the same boxcars.

The optics and optimism for Galchenyuk are nearly boundless. How has Nail never received that kind of love?

I’ve never heard any story of the potential high draft bust narrative about AG.

Why is the scrutiny so much harsher for Nail?

Besides 1st overall over-expectations, I mean.

52. GCW_69 says:

Suntory Hanzo:

They have heard good things about Barrie. All I know about Barrie is the Colts.

Can anyone give some advice you could pass on?Good areas/ places to stay away from? Either Barrie or another Toronto linked community.

Either here or bbillo@gmail.com

Thanks!I refer to so many comments on this site about everything else, I figured there might be some sage advice out there.

Oakville is very nice. A lot closer to Pearson than Barrie. Very good train service into and out of Toronto (when you want/need to go there). Good schools. Good restaurants.

53. Acumen says:

Woodguy,

On the ‘It’s a losing game to trade young players’ quote, I have mixed feelings about it.

First and foremost, let me say that Jeff Petry qualifies as a #%$&ing young player. So in that, he was correct

That out of the way, it’s great that he shows patience in the face of a fleecing, and we have red hot Nail to verify that, but if you have faith in your gut as well as your scouts, there are like for like transactions to be made. The recent Buffalo-Winnipeg deal is a great example. I would have loved any of Bogosian, Myers, or Kane on this team.

Similarly, I have been calling for a Yakupov for Larsson swap since 2012 and will until both sides address the weakness that the respective counterpart would fill. Yak might be my favorite Oiler right now but its all about balance. Both these players had their coaches change and some of their question marks lifted at the same time this season interestingly enough, but I digress. As far as the quote is concerned, trading young players doesn’t have to means not getting young players back. If you trust in your capabilities its simply a part if the give and take, not a losing game.

Likewise, if you want to make the hop sometimes the risk for acceleration is worth it. The LA Kings jump via the Richards and Carter trades is a perfect example. You can’t just sit around and wait for ever.

Then there’s diminishing assets like Gagner. If he gets dealt the summer MacT rolls into town when its clear the top 6 needs the old snow globe shakeup, we’re laughing, not dumping a salary.

So, dumping young players is a losing game. But even in a rebuild being confident enough to deal them is a necessity.

54. PhrankLee says:

Suntory Hanzo,

Im in Mississauga. It’s very close commute and reasonable pricing compared to Oakville. Barrie is not a long commute by distance but during traffic rush it doubles to well over 1.5 hrs.

There is a ton of hockey within an hour every direction.

I personally do not like it here. But re-location is re-location.

One thing: no photo radar. I usually cruise the 400 series highways at 130. Edmonton is a much slower pace on it’s freeways.

Your brother is welcome to rent my house. 2000/mo + utilities. 4 br semi near 401 and 407 and 403.

I can hit the airport at regular speed in about 20 min.

Plenty of schools, shopping (it’s a sport here) and multiple places of worship.

55. Ca$h-Money! says:

Acumen:
    Woodguy,

At the end of the day, the “don’t trade young players” narrative doesn’t jive with the “best player available” narrative. If the BPA is a winger every damn time then eventually a trade is necessary. At a certain point it makes sense to trade a young asset, even if he goes on to be a quality player, it’s all a question of return.