The Edmonton Oilers’ ‘Donner party’ tour through California continues tonight as we count down to the end of miserable season No. 9. Last night’s game reminds us of the massive gap between the Oilers and the rest of the Western Conference: It’s a great divide.
Re-watched BC & Denver gm, Noah Hanifin exemplifies a poised puck moving dman. Outstanding skater. Not flashy but very effective #NHLDraft
— Brendan Ross (@RossyYoungblood) March 29, 2015
I’ve been thinking about the best draft strategy for Bob Green this summer and I think it comes down to this: Finding a way to move up from the Pittsburgh selection (currently No. 20) inside the top 15 to gather a falling star.
- Select D Noah Hanifin No. 3 overall and then trade up for C Mathew Barzal.
- Select C Dylan Strome No. 3 overall and then trade up for D Oliver Kylington.
It makes sense if you look at how much can be accomplished this draft year. Edmonton could acquire two impact prospects with their first three picks, with the only negative coming from an inability to draft a goalie with that second-round selection. I think it’s the right play here.
Mark Hunter says on @TSN1050Radio he was at Dylan Strome's six point game on the weekend and was very impressed. Obvious candidate for Leafs
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) March 23, 2015
Leon Draisaitl example number 286 of a guy who would benefit from an AHL exception. Has dominated his WHL opponents.
— Corey Pronman (@coreypronman) March 28, 2015
When we talk about the draft, it’s important we remember Leon is a big part of the future. It’s one reason I hold out a little hope that the Oilers are at least considering Marner. Suspect the pick at No. 3 will be Noah Hanifin.
NEXT SEASON: WHAT MIGHT IT LOOK LIKE?
Over the next while I’m going to post quick profiles on possible solutions to the Oilers defensive woes. If we can agree that Klefbom, Marincin, Fayne and Schultz are going to be part of the team (and that Nikitin and Ference will be too in support roles) then there’s room for one more (significant) addition. Today: Mike Green.
- Profile: A tremendous skater and point producer from the back end. Often plays like a fourth forward. Can QB a poer play with aplomb. He is mistake prone in the defensive zone, needs more consistency and discipline in his game. Source.
He is 29 years old and would occupy Justin Schultz’ spot on the 1PP (or they could share, but both are RH). Green would cost a lot of loot and let’s not kid ourselves he isn’t Chris Pronger, but there’s some things to like here and giving Nelson a legit offensive weapon for next year is a good idea. The question then becomes ‘do you trade Justin Schultz?’ and as I’ve suggested in the past the answer should be yes.
— Guy Flaming (@TPS_Guy) April 2, 2015
It’s been a tremendous calendar year for the Edmonton Oil Kings, who fell short in OT last night to the outstanding Brandon Wheat Kings. I wanted to take a moment to thank the Oil Kings and the wonderful kids who played for them this season. An absolute joy to watch and as an OK fan I’m proud of the efforts of Mr. Hamilton, Mr. Marsh and the entire staff. I think they’ll re-load for the fall and we’ll see more fire power in 15-16, as it was hard to endure all of the losses (Lazar, Samuelsson, others) in one fell swoop.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
A busy show this morning, don’t miss a minute of it! 10, TSN1260, and the lineup is stacked:
- Dennis King, Oilogsphere Icon. With the Ducks showing up the Oilers roster, I suspect we’ll hear a lot about roster makeup and the failings of the GM. We’ll also look at MLB’s NL Central for 2015.
- Dean Millard, TSN1260’s Golf Show which lifts the lid tonight with a very special guest. We’ll announce the guest and talk a little Oil Kings, too.
- Thomas Drance, Nations Network. Mr. Drance wrote a compelling piece on Toronto’s choice at No. 4 overall (Strome v. Marner) and concluded they are both franchise cornerstones. We’ll discuss an amazing group at the top of this year’s selection.
- Steve Lansky, Big Mouth Sports. We’ll talk about the Leafs last night and their summer.
10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. It’ll be a blast! Note: I’m off tomorrow from the radio gig but will have a post up first thing in the morning. Talk soon!