FLAMES AT OILERS, G79 2014-15

There was a time, many years ago, when a Saturday night game in April involving the two Alberta teams would be talked about for days up to and after the contest. I remember making a run for the border (beer strike) with the idea of getting back in time to see one of them and it didn’t disappointment: Blood, sweat and tears. In those days, the Oilers would often win. It’s been a long, long time and tomorrow—the good tomorrow—is nowhere in sight.

THE 60 BEST PLAYERS IN THE 2015 DRAFT

1. (1)C Connor McDavid, Erie Otters (OHL) 47GP, 44-76-120 (2.55) 5GP, 2-6-8 playoffs
  2. (2)C Jack Eichel, Boston U (NCAA) 38GP, 24-43-67 (1.76)
  3. (3)R Mitch Marner, London Knights (OHL) 63GP, 44-82-126  (2.00) 5GP, 8-5-14 playoffs
  4. (4)C Dylan Strome, Erie Otters (OHL) 68GP, 45-84-129 (1.90) 5GP, 4-3-7 playoffs
  5. (5)D Noah Hanifin, Boston College (NCAA) 37GP, 5-18-23 (.622)
  6. (6) D Ivan Provorov, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) 60GP, 15-46-61 (1.02) 5GP, 0-3-3 playoffs
  7. (8) R Evgeni Svechnikov, Cape Breton (QMJHL) 55GP, 32-46-78 (1.42) 5GP, 1-4-5 playoffs
  8. (7) D Zach Werenski, Michigan (NCAA) 35GP, 9-16-25 (.714)
  9. (10) C Mathew Barzal, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) 44GP, 12-45-57 (1.30) 4GP, 3-2-5 playoffs
  10. (9) D Oliver Kylington, Farjestad (SHL). 18GP, 2-3-5 (.278)
  11. (12) R Mikko Rantanen, TPS Turku (SML) 56gP, 9-19-28 (.500) 7GP, 6-8-14 playoffs (Jr)
  12. (11) C Nick Merkley, Kelowna Rockets (WHL) 72GP, 20-70-90 (1.25) 4GP, 1-5-6 playoffs
  13. (14) C Anthony Beauvillier, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL) 67GP, 42-52-94 (1.40) 5GP, 1-3-4 playoffs
  14. (13) C Jansen Harkins, Prince George Cougars (WHL) 70GP, 20-59-79 (1.13) 4GP, 0-2-2 playoffs
  15. (15) R Timo Meier, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL) 61GP, 44-46-90 (1.48) 5GP, 4-3-7 playoffs
  16. (16) R Daniel Sprong, Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL) 68GP, 39-49-88 (1.29) 5GP, 4-2-6 playoffs
  17. (17) C Kyle Connor, Youngstown (USHL) 50GP, 29-40-69 (1.38)
  18. (18) C Travis Konecny, Ottawa 67’s (OHL) 60GP, 29-39-68 (1.13) 4GP, 2-7-9 playoffs
  19. (19) L Jake Debrusk, Swift Current (WHL) 72GP, 42-39-81 (1.13) 3GP, 0-0-0 playoffs
  20. (20) D Jeremy Roy, Sherbrooke Phoenix (QMJHL) 46GP, 5-38-43 (0.93) 5GP, 1-3-4 playoffs
  21. (23) D Mitchell Vande Sompel, Oshawa (OHL) 58GP, 12-51-63 (1.09) 4GP, 2-2-4 playoffs
  22. (21) C Pavel Zacha, Sarnia Sting (OHL). 37GP, 16-18-34 (0.92) 5GP, 2-1-3 playoffs
  23. (22) L Lawson Crouse, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) 56GP, 29-22-51 (0.91) 4GP, 2-1-3 playoffs
  24. (25) D Ryan Pilon, Brandon (WHL) 68GP, 11-41-52 (0.77) 5GP, 0-2-2 playoffs
  25. (27) C Andrew Mangiapane, Barrie (OHL) 68GP, 43-61-104 (1.53) 4GP, 4-1-5 playoffs
  26. (29) G Daniel Vladar, Kladno (Czech 2) 8GP, 1.97 .933
  27. (26) R Blake Speers, SSM Greyhounds (OHL) 57GP, 24-43-67 (1.18) 4GP, 1-1-2 playoffs
  28. (28) C Filip Chlapik, Charlotteteown Islanders (QMJHL) 64GP, 33-42-75 (1.17) 5GP, 0-2-2 playoffs
  29. (30) L Dennis Yan, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL) 59GP, 33-31-64 (1.08) 5GP, 6-0-6 playoffs
  30. (31) D Travis Dermott, Erie Otters (OHL) 61GP, 8-37-45 (0.74) 5GP, 1-2-3 playoffs
  31. (32) R Jens Looke, Brynas (SHL) 43GP, 2-4-6 (.139) 7GP, 0-0-0 playoffs
  32. (24) R Nikita Korostelev, Sarnia Sting (OHL) 55GP, 24-29-53 (0.96) 5GP, 1-2-3 playoffs
  33. (34) D Jakub Zboril, Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) 44GP, 13-20-33 (0.75) 4GP, 1-2-3 playoffs
  34. (36) R Brock Boeser, Waterloo Blachawks (USHL) 53GP, 31-29-60 (1.13)
  35. (33) L Paul Bittner, Portland Winterhawks (WHL)  66GP, 34-37-71 (1.08) 4GP, 0-1-1 playoffs
  36. (NR) L Dmytro Timashov, Quebec Remparts (QMJHL) 66GP, 19-71-90 (1.36) 4GP, 1-4-5 playoffs
  37. (35) C Nathan Noel, Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) 66GP, 24-38-62 (0.94) 4GP, 2-1-3 playoffs
  38. (37) D Thomas Chabot, Saint John Seadogs (QMJHL) 66GP, 12-29-41 (.621) 4GP, 0-0-0 playoffs
  39. (NR) D Nicolas Meloche, Baie-Comeau (QMJHL) 44GP, 10-24-34 (.773) 4GP, 3-1-4 playoffs
  40. (NR) D Ethan Bear, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) 69GP, 13-25-38 (.551) 4GP, 1-2-3 playoffs
  41. (38) G Matej Tomek, Topeka Roadrunners (NAHL) 31GP, 1.71 .932
  42. (NR) C-R Jeremy Bracco, USNTDP (USHL) 24GP, 14-18-32 (1.33)
  43. (NR) C Joel Eriksson Ek, Farjestad (QMJHL) 34GP, 4-2-6 (.176) 3GP, 0-0-0 playoffs
  44. (NR) C-R Roope Hintz, Ilves (SML) 42GP, 5-12-17 (.405) 2GP, 0-0-0 playoffs
  45. (NR) F Colin White, USNTDP (USHL) 20GP, 4-13-17 (.850)
  46. (NR) D Matt Spencer, Peterborough Petes (OHL) 66GP, 6-24-30 (.455) 3GP, 0-0-0 playoffs
  47. (40) F Filip Ahl, HV-71 (SHL) 15GP, 0-2-2 (.133)
  48. (NR) C Dante Salituro, Ottawa 67’s (OHL) 68GP, 37-41-78 (1.15)
  49. (NR) L Ryan Gropp, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) 67GP, 30-28-58 (.866) 4GP, 1-6-7 playoffs
  50. (NR) L Vladimir Tkachev, Quebec Remparts (QMJHL) 46GP, 16-33-49 (1.07) 5GP, 1-2-3 playoffs
  51. (NR) D Rasmus Andersson, Barrie (OHL) 66GP, 12-42-64 (.970) 4GP, 0-1-1 playoffs
  52. (NR) C Tyler Soy, Victoria Royals (WHL) 69GP, 28-35-63 (.913) 4GP, 2-2-4 playoffs
  53. (39) C Nicolas Roy, Chicoutimi Sagueneens (QMJHL) 68GP, 16-34-50 (.735) 4GP, 2-3-5 playoffs
  54. (NR) C Giorgio Estephan, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL) 64GP, 23-28-51 (.797)
  55. (NR) R Zach Senyshyn, SSM Greyhounds (OHL) 66GP, 26-19-45 (.682) 4GP, 2-1-3 playoffs
  56. (NR) L Graham Knott, Niagra Ice Dogs (OHL) 59GP, 25-18-43 (.729) 3GP, 0-0-0 playoffs
  57. (NR) G Mackenzie Blackwood, Barrie Colts (OHL) 51GP, 3.09 .906 4GP, 1.74 .954 playoffs
  58. (NR) D Noah Juulsen, Everett Silvertips (WHL) 68GP, 9-43-52 (.765) 3GP, 0-0-0 playoffs
  59. (NR) D Jacob Larsson, Frolunda (SHL) 20GP, 1-2-3 (.150)
  60. (NR) G Michael McNiven, Owen Sound Attack (OHL) 23GP, 2.78 .914

Not a lot of movement at the top but I think we’ll spend much of the spring sussing out the clusters (No. 3-No. 6) (No. 7-12) (No. 13-No. 22) at the high end of round one. There’s also the European kids (I have only seven in the top 60) who aren’t well known yet and there will be much discussion surrounding men like Lawson Crouse and Pavel Zacha (they’ll go much higher than I’m rating them). Finally there’s a bunch of math stars like Timashov who may or may not have a denver boot in their scouting report (but qualify using the slide rule).

One other note: This is a fan’s opinion (a moo point!) and isn’t meant to be representative of how the draft will go or what the Oilers will do. During a recent Oilers luncheon, Craig MacTavish allegedly (it was not confirmed by more than one source) mentioned Noah Hanifin and Ryan Strome. If you’re an Oilers fan, that information is far more valuable than anything you’ll read here. I use NHLE, Red Line Report, Corey Pronman, two scouts I talk to who don’t work for NHL teams but are familiar with certain portions of the CHL. This blog absolutely has a bias toward forwards and offense, this is reflected in the names and rankings above.

CALIFORNIA BLUECheckers vs. OKC Barons 10-5-13

Lots of chatter all over the Al Gore about the Oilers in California but anyone who thought this group could hang with Anaheim and Los Angeles is delusional. Fully healthy, the Oilers have no fun in California because those teams are built for the now and Edmonton doesn’t have the horses. If you want to be mad at someone, direct your attention to the GM, who started the season with little at center, a wobbly blue and didn’t react quickly when the goaltending cratered early. These are the facts with value, not discussing the difficulties encountered by a young defense helped by an old one. If Justin Schultz is the answer, what is the question? That’s the story for this season.

LEARNING HOW TO WIN

• Craig Ramsay: “This has been a year where we’ll go into a game and we’ll play pretty hard, but we’re not there the next time. We’ll have a period where we play well, we play hard, but then we want it to be easy. We’re looking for easy.”

From what I can tell, the summer framing in Edmonton will be ‘Eakins didn’t get it’ followed by ‘this young group needs to learn how to win’ and we’re going to receive a Brent Seabrook and a Jimmy Howard to help turn north. Lord knows what is  heading the other way but it will no doubt be dear. From my vantage point, this season is about the GM pushing Leon Draisiatl and Darnell Nurse, about patience when the astute thing to do was make a move (at G and C, D if you could) and about a wasted UFA signing on defense.

Long before we get to discussing the coach, the team was unable to gain lift off.

• Craig Ramsay to Joanne Ireland in regard to Brandon Davidson blocking a shot: “It’s not about a toe-drag top-shelf-er. It’s about banging one in from the goal crease. It’s about putting your foot out (to make a block).” Source

That’s so Oilers. With all due respect to Craig Ramsay, if you have to dig down to find an example of doing what it takes to win, why not use the example of Taylor Hall the other night? He got buried in getting the puck to Andrew Miller, who sent it to Lander, and the young Swede sent a bullet to Brandon Davidson for a tally.

No sir. The Edmonton Oilers can’t bring themselves to see leadership among their young skill group and it’s my belief we’re about to see yet another example of big game hunting. Your next captain isn’t here yet, ladies and men. He won’t come from the young group, because they don’t have the winning spirit and what it takes to be the boys on the bus.

One of the main reasons the Edmonton Oilers are losers is that they overvalue what is readily available and undervalue what is truly rare. The Edmonton Oilers can’t stand up for falling down.

361 Responses to "FLAMES AT OILERS, G79 2014-15"

« Older Comments
  1. Johnny Larue says:

Pouzar:
    I love Taylor Hall.
    Now Draft Hanifin.

Haven’t given up on McDavid yet

2. Pouzar says:

Johnny Larue:

Dude…we got that with the Penguins pick.

3. Derek says:

book¡je:
    Whenever somebody raises the “Hall is the problem” narrative,let’s just respond “Findley’s not dead, he’s hiding in Paris” or some other random phrase.Honestly, I think it’s the most logical response.

What the hell does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

4. Jon K says:

Lowetide: I’ve given up. There’s nothing you can do, people have created a narrative about Hall and that’s all she wrote. I honestly think it might be the way he looks, kind of sulky just idling in the driveway. Makes zero sense to me, people need to find some evidence or move on. Suspect it’ll become less of an issue if they ever start winning.

Taylor Hall is not the problem with the team.

My opinion of him is based on personal experience and nothing else.

The value of discourse here is lowered when unfavorable views are dismissed as the ramblings of discontents.

5. Doubting Olive says:

G Money:
    book¡je,

Huh, it’s interesting you raise that point, because I was just typing up a blog post blaming Taylor Hall for the resurgence of measles!#TaylorHallCharacterProblems?

It is true that Taylor Hall has not vaccinated his children.

6. RexLibris says:

Most of the illuminati is playing cribbage at my house, they say it’s bullshit.

Boy, if I ever get around to it, remind me to tell you about what happens when you mix cribbage and Hutterite dandelion wine.

Lowetide: “On the right, you’ll see the famous “MacTavish boot” which landed in this exact spot the night he finally blew it clean off while viewing the infamous Musil-Fayne pairing. Legend has it young Musil heard the sound of the revolver and went down to block the shot. On a breakaway. It’s funny, but the Seattle Sounders probably don’t exist without decisions like that one.”

I don’t know how I missed this.

That’s “get your shinebox” level.

Awesome.

8. Doubting Olive says:

Jon K: My opinion of him is based on personal experience and nothing else.

I was going to post a random comment about your post, but this sentence piqued my interest.

Please expand upon it. It seems that you are more than hinting that you know Hall personally and this is your call on his character. Is he a friend?

Remember, in the court of LT, relying on “my girlfriend/boyfriend’s nephew’s babysitters dog groomer’s valet, well, HIS best friend’s mother’s gynecologist’s golf partner played a round with Hall and won and Hall didn’t take it well,” or some other tenuous link, isn’t going to be adequate.

9. Ray says:

No Nuge tonight 🙁

10. Gordies Elbow says:

Johnny Larue,

WIth you, 100%, on that one.

RexLibris: Weird. I had you figured for a crokinole guy. (FYI, the blog’s spelling wizard says crokinole isn’t a word. Eastern bias!)

12. leadfarmer says:

Marc,

You can’t impress DSF. Only DSF can impress himself

13. kinger_OIL says:

OK – I will bite: I’ve said this before: way smarter, insightful hockey guys (players, ex-players, press, coaches) at least a half dozen: I’ve asked them all: how do the Oilers get better: and their universal response, independently has been: “Trade Hall”. That’s all I have to report. I just listen. Don’t shoot the messenger

14. Gordies Elbow says:

kinger_OIL,

I’m sure that I could have found 6 players, ex-players, press, and coaches that would have traded Gretzky. Doesn’t mean that it would have been a good idea.

For the 6 you mention – please give names. If one of the names is Kypreos, please find another (more reputable) name 😉

15. book¡je says:

kinger_OIL:
    OK – I will bite: I’ve said this before: way smarter, insightful hockey guys (players, ex-players, press, coaches) at least a half dozen: I’ve asked them all: how do the Oilers get better: and their universal response, independently has been: “Trade Hall”.That’s all I have to report.I just listen.Don’t shoot the messenger

So I said to Harvey,” Pistols at Dawn? Where the hell is Dawn?” And that’s when he punched me.

16. kinger_OIL says:

Gordies Elbow,

C’Mon Gord: really? 6 players after the first 4 years of the Great One and their great early Stanley Cup runs, with a team clearly on the rise, would have said trade Gretz? Don’t shoot the messenger and please don’t be petulant…

WAYNE GRETZKY WAS A PROBLEM!!

HE NEVER WON A CUP AFTER HE LEFT EDMONTON!!

18. book¡je says:

Here is the point, if you are suggesting that a team trade a player who has been one of the top players in the league in their position AND who has been your best player, you need to give a reason. The burdon of proof is on you.

19. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Ha! My Grandma was a fantastic crokinole player. You’re right, it says that word is wrong. Huh.

Growing up we had an old crokinole board that my great-grandfather had built. There wasn’t a soul around to tell us how to play so we worked out rules on our own.

I recall that and rummoli being around the house (blog doesn’t like that word either. Did a Gen Y set the spell-check?)

Curiously, I wasn’t introduced to cribbage until much, much later.

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 46s46 seconds ago

Oilers lines: Pouliot-Hall-Eberle, Purcell-Roy-Yakupov, Fraser-Lander-Miller, Gazdic-Hendricks-Klinkhammer

21. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: WAYNE GRETZKY WAS A PROBLEM!!

HE NEVER WON A CUP AFTER HE LEFT EDMONTON!!

Heh, maybe you remember a while back when I mentioned the commenter from another site who argued that the Oilers gave up on Gretzky. The context was Johnny Gaudreau and how teams in the past would send out small skilled players.

Yep, Oilers gave up on Gretzky after he was their captain for nine(?) seasons and had led the team to four Stanley Cups. What short-sighted buffoons.

On a more serious note, if I were choosing, it’d be Nugent-Hopkins as captain over Hall. But I may have some bias there.

22. kinger_OIL says:

RexLibris,

Crockinale: Cribbage, Backgammon and Hearts: summer dreams for sure…

23. RexLibris says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 46s46 seconds ago

Assuming this is the heretical L-C-R format?

So. Hall playing the middle.

The tank job is over. Maloney and Murray won, but Lowe apparently won’t go down without a fight.

24. frjohnk says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 46s46 seconds ago

Nuge?

Let me guess. He is a problem like Kadri. And they are suspending him.

And all along I thought Taylor hall was the biggest problem on this team.

25. RexLibris says:

kinger_OIL:
    RexLibris,

Crockinale: Cribbage, Backgammon and Hearts: summer dreams for sure…

I always think of various card games (we played a lot of BS when I was in my teens) during the summer.

Found a Bridge manual from the 60s a few months back. That, in and of itself, is nothing spectacular. But this one had recipes to go along with it. THAT was astounding.

Game play instruction, etiquette, strategy, some conversation tips, and “delicious” foods to prepare and serve. Good heavens was there ever a generation more convinced of the epicurean qualities of 7-Up, ketchup, and hot dogs?

26. Gordies Elbow says:

kinger_OIL,

“at least a half dozen: I’ve asked them all: how do the Oilers get better: and their universal response, independently has been: “Trade Hall”. That’s all I have to report. I just listen. ”

I won’t shoot the messenger if you give the names of the “at least a half dozen.” Should be pretty easy to do if there are more than 5.

I won’t be “petulant” if you back your statement with verifiable quotes.

27. Pouzar says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 3m3 minutes ago
    Oilers prospect Kyle Platzer (4/96/13) OHL season is over as Owen Sound eliminated tonight. Had 34-47-81 this year, likely headed to OKC

28. frjohnk says:

Ottawa and Boston win.

Pitt 95 points.
    Boston 95 points
    Ottawa 92 points

Pittsburgh and Ottawa on Tuesday night

The sphinxters in the Penguin land are tightening up.

29. Pouzar says:

frjohnk:
    Ottawa and Boston win.

Pitt 95 points.
    Boston 95 points
    Ottawa 92 points

Pittsburgh and Ottawa on Tuesday night

The sphinxters in the Penguin land are tightening up.

Shit just got real #JustSayNoahMcDavid

30. RexLibris says:

frjohnk: The sphinxters in the Penguin land are tightening up.

Those riddlesome muscle groups!

😉

If the Pens miss the playoffs that extra pick just got a whole lot more valuable, regardless of lottery implications. It could allow the Oilers to trade up into the top twelve.

Picture coming out of day one of the draft with Dylan Strome and Oliver Kylington.

31. sliderule says:

Where does all this Hall bullshit come from.

For your own sanity and the sake of oilers just ignore it.

The guy very rarely takes a game off and when he is on he drives the play.

So if you hear he insulted someone’s wife or didn’t sign an autograph ignore it as it is usually 99.5 percent bullshit

Some people love to put down star athletes as it makes them feel a little better about themselves .

If they really put a little more thought about it they would realize how pathetic they are.

32. rich says:

frjohnk: Nuge?

Let me guess. He is a problem like Kadri. And they are suspending him.

And all along I thought Taylor hall was the biggest problem on this team.

Lower body injury is what they’re saying.

33. SaintGeorge says:

Anyone have a livestream for those of us in Worshington DC?

34. kinger_OIL says:

Gordies Elbow,

Gord don’t be hatin. I’m not a reporter I’m just a dude on a blog I love. Just a data point. Just because guys I know and respect and have insight none of us do, shares their view :doesn’t make it right or correct. I have just found it interesting. Some said it a few years ago.

35. leadfarmer says:

Pouzar,

That last game of the season against Buffalo may be their saving grace.

36. Jon K says:

sliderule:
    Where does all this Hall bullshit come from.

For your own sanity and the sake of oilers just ignore it.

The guy very rarely takes a game off and when he is on he drives the play.

Some people love to put down starathletes as it makes them feel a little better about themselves .

I think Eric Lindros used to say that too.

Edit: To be clear, that was meant to be a joke.

37. Surgeons Knot says:

What happened to Nugey boy?

38. leadfarmer says:

Took all of 15 sec to take a jab against the Oil.

39. Магия 10 says:

RexLibris: Assuming this is the heretical L-C-R format?

So. Hall playing the middle.

Just warming up Hall for his position at centre next season until Drai is ready for the mid-season callup.

40. geowal says:

I’ve seen this movie before.

41. Klima's_Bucket says:

How can the Oilers compete with Scrivens, Ference and Nikitin next year?

42. leadfarmer says:

Why am I watching this?

43. rich says:

Scrivens actually makes a save.

Let’s see if he an string a couple in a row.

44. Pouzar says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    How can the Oilers compete with Scrivens, Ference and Nikitin next year?

Babcock.

45. leadfarmer says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

A few more #1s overall and we will get there. And by there I mean meaningful games after xmas

46. Ryan says:

Pouzar: Babcock.

Babcock can’t coach his way out of this.

47. blainer says:

SaintGeorge:
    Anyone have a livestream for those of us in Worshington DC?

.In Boston myself… try this.. goATD.Net works for me.. good luck

48. Ryan says:

rich:
    Scrivens actually makes a save.

Let’s see if he an string a couple in a row.

Two outta three ain’t bad… Right?

49. Pouzar says:

Ryan: Babcock can’t coach his way out of this.

I know…just trolling

50. flyfish1168 says:

Can’t believe Colbourne was trade to the phlegms for forth round pick. I wonder how this could have happened especially when we hired the coach that coached him as a marlie.

51. leadfarmer says:

Pouzar: Babcock.

How is he in goal?

52. book¡je says:

261 points in 295 games = “The Problem”

53. Pretendergast says:

Loose game but the boys came to play, Hall and Ebs are flying, gotta respect it even if the d is a tirefire.

54. leadfarmer says:

So a center goes down, and Hall agrees to play a position he is not comfortable with when the coach asks him to. Yup, definitely not a team player. I bet he pouted all day long.

55. Eastern Oil says:

flyfish1168:

He’s emerged as a decent player with good size but he was never able to stick in Toronto. Being from Ontario I was able to see him quite a few times over the years. Always worked hard but was never all that effective.

Just a case of a guy that was able to get a change of scenery and took his opportunity.

56. sliderule says:

Scrivens jumps at shots to blocker side.

I don’t think I have seen any other nhl goalie do that

Shoulder problems?

57. Eastern Oil says:

Yeesh, Eberle can absolutely dangle when he gets the opportunity. He’s had a few slick moves already tonight.

58. Ryan says:

Pouzar: I know…just trolling

Hi ugh mike, yeah this is Daryl calling. I know. I know what you told me. Listen mike, this is a total fking debacle and I need your help. Yes, just write your contract and I’ll sign it. Yeah, you heard right. Click.

59. rich says:

sliderule,

Fighting the puck, not playing with confidence. It’s almost like he’s trying to do too much.

60. leadfarmer says:

Jonas Hiller didn’t paint his helmet cause he’s not planning on staying in Calgary for long.

What? If people are making up stupid rumors about Hall, I’ll make some up about other team’s players.

61. Klima's_Bucket says:

I am loving Musil’s subtle crosschecks thus far. Not afraid to use the lumber.

62. Ray says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    How can the Oilers compete with Scrivens, Ference and Nikitin next year?

Scrivens as the backup goalie, Ference and Nikitin share the 6/7 hole on defense… only chance I can see for a competitive team. Chances we see that next year? Maybe 5%.

63. Henry says:

sliderule:
    Scrivens jumps at shots to blocker side.

I don’t think I have seen any other nhl goalie do that

Shoulder problems?

Ever see Mike Palmateer?

64. G Money says:

What’s the verdict on Musil after the first?

I’m at the cabin, and we don’t have TV. We do have high-speed internet, and so I have a Slingbox set up at home that lets me watch anything I want on my laptop. But the resolution leaves a bit to be desired… I can follow the play but can’t really read the jerseys easily…

65. flyfish1168 says:

Eastern Oil: He’s emerged as a decent player with good size but he was never able to stick in Toronto.Being from Ontario I was able to see him quite a few times over the years.Always worked hard but was never all that effective.

Still a good option for the Oilers. It would have only costed a 4th rounder. I would do that deal

66. leadfarmer says:

Taylor Fedun got his 2nd assist of the season. Didn’t realize he is playing in the NHL.

67. Pouzar says:

Eastern Oil:
    Yeesh, Eberle can absolutely dangle when he gets the opportunity.He’s had a few slick moves already tonight.

And he can Corgi (+15)

68. leadfarmer says:

G Money,

Was lost a bit on the goal. Otherwise played fine. Seems like we have been watching Jultz and Ferrence and even Nikitin for so long that anyone they call up seems to play decent.

Haven’t noticed the footspeed issues but Calgary seems to be happy doing as little as possible until the 3rd.

69. Pouzar says:

Chris Wescott ‏@TheChrisWescott 20m20 minutes ago
    #Oilers prospect Greg Chase with two goals tonight for the Victoria Royals. They’re looking to close out their series with Prince George.

leadfarmer:
    G Money,

Was lost a bit on the goal.Otherwise played fine.Seems like we have been watching Jultz and Ferrence and even Nikitin for so long that anyone they call up seems to play decent.

It was a 4-on-3. Musil had his guy. Eberle had circled behind the Flames net, and his man was the open man. Eberle got off the ice in time to give Miller the minus for his mistake.

Musil started drifting away from his man to the late open man when he recognized the play, to prevent the open late guy from getting into prime shooting position in the slot., trying to be big. He really wasn’t lost.

71. Henry says:

Nice play Mr. Musil

edit – not the goal being discussed above.
    Musil was nice on the boards when overloaded.

72. leadfarmer says:

Arcobello with his 17th of the season. Good thing we let him go and kept Gadzooks.

Hall. Not good.

74. RicaGreaser says:

#4 might be an absolute sweetheart but he cannot afford to keep making that decision at his own blue…

75. rich says:

Nice save there by Scrivens. Nice to see him bail out Hall – and nice reaction when the 2 talked after the save.

76. striatic says:

RicaGreaser:

he also made an awfully odd decision at the other blue leading up to that chance.

77. Pouzar says:

Hall. Not good.

I love Hall but his hands are full step below Nuge/Ebs. Can’t be at that shit.

78. leadfarmer says:

godot10,

So he didn’t take the guy in front of the net or the guy with the puck, so don’t think kind of lost is an inaccurate description.

79. book¡je says:

Hall. Not good.

Et tu, LT?

80. leadfarmer says:

These guys, other than a handful, are still content with not engaging into the physical stuff. Knock the guy on his ass.

81. Pouzar says:

Hall has no respect for the nets. Malcontent.

82. Ryan says:

book¡je: Et tu, LT?

Busting out the French, lol?

83. book¡je says:

Ryan: Busting out the French, lol?

Latin

Wikipedia – “”Et tu, Brute?” (pronounced [ɛt ˈtuː ˈbruːtɛ]) is a Latin phrase meaning “and you, Brutus?” or “and you, too, Brutus?”, purportedly as the last words of the Roman dictator Julius Caesar to his friend Marcus Brutus at the moment of his assassination. The quotation is widely used in Western culture to signify the utmost betrayal by an unexpected person, such as a friend.

The fame of the quotation is entirely due to its occurrence in William Shakespeare’s play Julius Caesar, as Caesar utters these words as he is being stabbed to death, having recognized his friend and protégé Brutus among the assassins. However, there is no evidence that Caesar actually said these words”

book¡je:
    Hall. Not good.

Et tu, LT?

Love Hall. That was a bad giveaway.

85. RicaGreaser says:

That was SO painful to watch. Inevitable outcome. SO painful.

86. GCW_69 says:

Was that Klefbom? What was he trying to do?

87. striatic says:

Klefbom still has things to learn.

at least he was making the takeaways to put himself in position to make those mistakes.

88. G Money says:

This last goal gives me the impression that the Hockey Gords, as they have all season, really want the Flames to win. Every odd bounce, every bouncing puck, etc. seems to go to a Flame over a comparably placed Oiler.

That said, it seems to me the Oilers are well and truly determined not to let goals against happen as a result of giving up on a play. The tire fire is still burning hot, but at least its not complacency at the root of it.

When you deplete an already poor roster to this extent, not much more can be asked.

89. Pouzar says:

GCW_69:
    Was that Klefbom? What was he trying to do?

I have no idea.

And I don’t get why Scrivens needed to be doing snow angels there. He had time to plant and drive over.

90. leadfarmer says:

Giveaways, giveaways. Somehow they tend to end up in your net.

91. OilClog says:

MacT has assembled a team that would lose to Tambi’s Oilers.

Bravo

92. Surly says:

Klefbom must be playing more than 20 minutes tonight…eh MacT?

93. leadfarmer says:

striatic,

No worries, Schultz will teach him well.

94. thejonrmcleod says:

The corgis were barking in the first, but the hockey gords weren’t listening.

95. GCW_69 says:

OilClog:
    MacT has assembled a team that would lose to Tambi’s Oilers.

Bravo

Smartest man in the room.

Provided he is the only man in the room.

96. Pouzar says:

Great tweet WG on that last goal.

Can’t win with Scrivens. Great guy but f^ck

Klefbom is a fine young prospect but relying on him as a de facto foundation piece is unwise. Stating the obvious but there you go.

98. Ryan says:

book¡je: Latin

Sorry, I missed the reference and the missing ‘s.’ “Est tu.” Hope you don’t feel like you’re being stabbed to death watching this game counselor.

99. Gordies Elbow says:

kinger_OIL,

Wow. So not even an attempt to give a verifiable link?

100. Ryan says:

That sequence was unkind to Klefbomb.

101. Doubting Olive says:

SJ 3 ARI 5 FNL.

Arizona make a common mistake by selecting a Jagdpanzer for tonight’s tank battle. The Jagdpanzer was literally a ‘tank-hunter’ and usually considered more of a self-propelled gun than a tank. It’s a rooky mistake in tanking. Lucky we’ve 9 seasons and counting experience.

102. skidplate says:

Maybe when the Oilers win more than they loose……CBC will talk positively about them?

103. G Money says:

I think K Bomb has shown plenty of raw skill to suggest that long-term, 2D or 3D is pretty realistic.

Right now, though, the defining numbers are 21 and 73.

As in 21 years old, and 73 NHL games played.

It is oh so very Oilers to put Klefbom in a position at 21/73 where he’s relied on as 1D instead of 5/6D (for which a “real” team would give him a full year of to learn the ins and outs of the NHL).

104. Dashingsilverfox says:

skidplate:

There’s a chance CBC will be out of business by then.

105. skidplate says:

Dashingsilverfox: There’s a chance CBC will be out of business by then.

Most likely. Sportsnet then or any sports talking heads.

106. Ryan says:

skidplate: Most likely. Sportsnet then or any sports talking heads.

Nice jabs against the Oilers wrt playing Sam Bennett

leadfarmer:
    godot10,

It was a “two on one”. His guy and the open guy with the puck. He was trying to force the shot from a less desirable position while denying a pass to the guy he was covering.

He could have just covered his guy, but then the guy with the puck would have had an open path to the net.

108. skidplate says:

Well it was a good first period. Too many give aways and weak defense. Who would of thought.

109. Surly says:

There is no issue/problem with Klefbom the player. It is the role he is cast into and his GM flapping his lips that 84 gives you “20 perfect min a night” when on the defensive that his blue-line is inadequate.

110. Dicky94 says:

Wish Scrivens would wear skates and not ski doo boots in game.

111. Doubting Olive says:

These guys have checked out. Finish the game already.

112. Dicky94 says:

Doubting Olive,

Season would be better. Bring on the draft!

113. G Money says:

Tank update: ari beats San hosers.

114. admiralmark says:

3 pts separating Oilers from Coyotes after tonight. Perhaps that Eichel train hasn’t left the station just yet?

115. Doubting Olive says:

Dicky94:
    Doubting Olive,

Season would be better. Bring on the draft!

I hate looking forward to the draft. More maybes and probably nots. No actuals.

116. Pouzar says:

I hate life.

117. flyfish1168 says:

GCW_69: Smartest man in the room.

Provided he is the only man in the room.

Did he not fire the smartest man in the room

118. Doubting Olive says:

For eff’s sake, will no-one get angry? Why doesn’t any of these guys hate the other team?

119. admiralmark says:

flyfish1168: Did he not fire the smartest man in the room

Yes but he used Skype. Just another example of his smartness.

120. Doubting Olive says:

Pouzar:
    I hate life.

It is a crappy cereal. Tastes of cardboard.

121. Pouzar says:

Doubting Olive: It is a crappy cereal.Tastes of cardboard.

I meant the board game.

122. Dicky94 says:

Pouzar,

Probably still tastes like cardboard. I actually might try it to get me out of watching this.

123. Doubting Olive says:

Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington once opined that being born in a stable does not make one a horse, any more than playing hockey for the Edmonton Oilers (a team in the NHL) makes you an NHL player.

124. Doubting Olive says:

Pouzar: I meant the board game.

I quite liked it. Loved the spinny wheel dice thing. Couldn’t figure out why I was paying maintenance for kids when I was only 8yo, and they weren’t robots.

125. G Money says:

The only way the Gords can repay us fans for this season is McDavid. Nothing else comes close.

126. Doubting Olive says:

Sooooo, this Hiller guy that came out of nowhere. Was he ever available? Looks a useful goalie.

127. Pouzar says:

G Money:
    The only way the Gords can repay us fans for this season is McDavid.Nothing else comes close.

And all I think about is that we are dead in the water next year as well if MacT’s verbal on this Defense is to be believed.

128. striatic says:

that was embarrassing.

even with the lack of RNH.

at least there will be no excuse that the team is solidifying to end the season.

129. Doubting Olive says:

G Money:

Our own pet Velociraptor butlers that eat garbage and shit gold?

130. SK Oiler Fan says:

Fk Scribbles that’s bad. Just stop it with your damn stick.
    Sure hope BTO is back on Tue. Taking my two boys to their first ever game on Tue. Question: Does section 134 (silver club, opposite side to players bench) give me access to watch the team take the ice under the stands?

131. Diesel says:

SK Oiler Fan,

Yes. Enjoy.

132. flyfish1168 says:

G Money:

Penguins don’t make the playoffs and that pick wins the lottery and we have the 4th pick

133. rich says:

Well, Nelson has finally been stopped.

134. G Money says:

rich,

He hasn’t been stopped.

He’s been stopped, run over, doused with gasoline, set on fire, run over again, then had the fire doused by rolling him in salt.

135. G Money says:

On a completely unrelated note, I’ve been driving my wife and our friends crazy this evening by constantly whistling “Sweet Georgia Brown”. I had no idea why, but once it hits you, it’s hella contagious.

But how, I ask myself, HOW did it start?

Answer: just walked by the mini-fridge and consciously noticed one of my kids books on it: “George Brown, Class Clown.” Obviously read it earlier without actually noticing it.

That’s all it takes.

Fucking earworms.

136. book¡je says:

G Money,

Ha, I do the same kind of self investigations and frequently find similar things.

137. book¡je says:

Wow, I’ve never seen fewer comments in the last 2/3 of a game.

138. book¡je says:

Fun thought: what happens if RNH, Hall, and Eberle publicly demand a trade at seasons end?

139. Pouzar says:

Oliver Ekman-Larsson-Hanifin netted two goals and had an assist in the Coyotes’ 5-3 win against the Sharks on Saturday night.

140. G Money says:

book¡je,

Much of my normal commenting banter was subsumed by heavy game-induced vomiting.

The VomitCorsi/60 for this game was bowl-fillingly off the charts.

141. unca miltie says:

A week or so ago, I was worried the Oilers might catch the leafs. Now I wonder if they will ever win another game. Sure a long ways away from my 83 points in Hunters pole.

142. G Money says:

unca miltie,

Leafs got a point tonight and ARI won.

So I believe it is now the case that the Oilers can only catch the Leafs if the Buds lose out (possible) and the Oilers win out (unpossible). Not gonna happen.

And the Dogs can overtake the Oilers if they can squeak out three more points than the Oilers over three games. Unlikely.

So it’s pretty much a lock that it’s going to be BUF, ARI, EDM, TOR.

Best case scenario, the Oilers get McDavid.
    Second best, one of BUF or ARI win the lottery and the Oilers have their pick of Hanistromarner.
    Worst case, the Oilers will choose from two of the three.

The Draft … Oiler Playoff Time.

143. SwedishPoster says:

After a decent first that was just flat out terrible. How much overhandling of the puck can you take as a fan before you start running around and punch old ladies and kittens out of frustration? That the defensive coverage would suffer was no surprise but the stupid decisions with the puck is too bloody much.
    As a swede Klefbom and Landers performances was a sad day for our development system.

144. kooler says:

flyfish1168,

Even better…dogs pass the oil and we get 1st and 3rd.

145. Bank Shot says:

Do we think Yakupov can return a top four defenceman in the offseason?

146. SwedishPoster says:

If I were to draw any kind of positive from these last few games with a depleted lineup it’s that a guy like Davidson looks like he’s making Aulie or similar players obsolete. If this team could add some real top 4 D the depth at D looks pretty good as far as players who can come in and play as a 5-7 D with. Even Musil looked somewhat useful after he put out some early tire fires. A legit goalie, two top 4 D and a a defensively solid #2 center. That should be easy.

147. Marc says:

G Money:
    unca miltie,

Leafs got a point tonight and ARI won.

So I believe it is now the case that the Oilers can only catch the Leafs if the Buds lose out (possible) and the Oilers win out (unpossible).Not gonna happen.

And the Dogs can overtake the Oilers if they can squeak out three more points than the Oilers over three games.Unlikely.

So it’s pretty much a lock that it’s going to beBUF, ARI, EDM, TOR.

Best case scenario, the Oilers get McDavid.
    Worst case, the Oilers will choose from two of the three.

The Draft … Oiler Playoff Time.

The Oil are locked in to a bottom 3 finish and a bottom 4 pick.

148. Acumen says:

Bank Shot,

Absolutely, if it’s the right guy and the right age. Said it a few times on here and countless times off, but I want to see him dealt for Adam Larsson. If we end up drafting Marner I’ll be really harping on the need to make a move exactly like this, and Yak is my favorite current Oiler.

Very interesting way to close out the season with regards to the Coyotes and Penguins. I didn’t think the respective close outs seemed possible but everything seems to be shaking our way in terms of final positions these last few games.

It hurts to see these last few games turning out the way they have while I’m over in Europe and can’t subject myself to the actual viewings, but the rational side of me loves it. The points are absolutely meaningless and it gives MacT no false security while it DOES give Nicholkatz significant pretext to can him. Loved when he came on, have no faith left.

Regarding Hall, there is no good result from trading him. Given that we have a top line that can dominate playing power v power, and we know he can drive any line, it robs us of dual first line system as long as he’s healthy. And the value for the duration of his contract can not be brought back in a trade for anyone not named Oliver Ekman Larsson.

149. blainer says:

Acumen:
    Bank Shot,

If we draft Marner or Strome I would find a way to trade Yak. Sorry guys still don’t see a player there. The Yak Experiment has gone on long enough for me. Play Dry on the wing after his cameo in the A, trade for Sobotka or sign Soderburg but make the changes please. MacT has to be watching but my only fear is he will blame the problems on injuries and goaltending only. The answer for me is yes .. absolutely trade Yak if you can get a top 4 D for him.. but there is a lot more than that needs fixing..

150. gogliano says:

Marc: Even if the Oilers win out and the Leafs lose out, the Leafs will have more wins, so will finish higher than the Oilers.

The Oil are locked in to a bottom 3 finish and a bottom 4 pick.

Yup, and Arizona has an extra win and has the next tiebreaker if the wins are tied (head to head), so that 29th finish isn’t inconceivable. A tie will put us in 29th.

But Arizona has got a tough schedule: @CAL, @VAN, ANA.
    Edmonton’s: LAK, SJS, @VAN.

Arizona needs to beat us by three points over the next three games but plays three playoff teams. I could see EDM picking up points against SJS.

151. Romulus Apotheosis says:

According the Oilers home page, they have signed Platzer and sent Bunz down.

Of course, in Oilers fashion the links re-direct to a hilarious error message.

“If problem persists Oilers Logo” is one the most Oilers’ things ever.

152. sliderule says:

On most of the HNIC games this year the commentaries have been so anti oiler that I want to turn the sound off.

Last night they managed to top it as between the first and second period it was a Flame love fest.The only words spoken about the oilers were negative as Kyprios did on Eberle back check.They could have at least pointed out that because of injuries the oilers had a mostly AHL lineup.

If I was Katz /Lowe I would be ballistic as its not fair to second tier fans.Oh,I forgot they don’t care about second tier fans.

153. Ca$h-Money! says:

Ca$h-Money!:

I’m very, very close to being robbed of the joy of sharing a fanship of this team with my 4 year old son.There’s already lots of pressure on him to cheer for the flames, and up until now he’s held out.If we get steamrolled tonight though, I don’t know.

For the love of all that is holy Oilers, put something together tonight and next season.You’ve robbed me of a lot over the past 9 years, don’t saddle me with an eternity of having a flames fan in the family.

Sigh…..

Romulus Apotheosis:
    According the Oilers home page, they have signed Platzer and sent Bunz down.

Of course, in Oilers fashion the links re-direct to a hilarious error message.

“If problem persists Oilers Logo” is one the most Oilers’ things ever.

That is sooooo Oilers

“If problems persist, Oilers!”

“Doc, my knee is aching all the time”

“The problem persists? You have Oilers”

“I’ve fixed the stem valve on every tire twice and the low tire pressure light still comes on”

“You must have Oilers stem valves”

Ca$h-Money!: Sigh…..

158. PeOiler says:

Ca$h-Money!,

1. Switch up the current games with old dynasty Oilers tapes.
    2. Leave the ’89 tape in the closet and explain that there was no season due to influenza.
    3. Tell him that the Flames eat puppies.

« Older Comments