BROSSOIT BARONS’ BEST ROOKIE 2014-15

In some years, it’s easy to pick the minor league rookie of the year. Charlie Huddy was No. 1 in 1979-80 and since then the minor league system has been supplying useful talent (honest!) every year. This year a clear No. 1 emerged and won the day.

1. G Laurent Brossoit 49GP, .916 2.65. Easily the class of the group, Brossoit is the best goalie prospect in the Oilers system since Devan Dubnyk (who was a quality prospect).
  2. C Bogdan Yakimov, 57GP, 12-16-28. The giant Russian showed well in TC then headed to Oklahoma. It took some time, and his season was interrupted by injury, but the future looks bright. His .491 point-per-game total isn’t a strong number for a rookie in the AHL.
  3. D Jordan Oesterle, 61GP, 7-16-23. Puck-moving college defender is a little older (22) than some of these other kids and has some chaos in his game. He did get a recall to the NHL as a rookie pro.
  4. D Dillon Simpson, 66GP, 2-14-16. Simpson is a rookie pro (despite being just two months younger than David Musil) but improved as the season wore along. He should move up the depth chart next season, as he did each year in college at UND.
  5. L Joshua Winquist, 41GP, 8-10-18. Perhaps the most fascinating of the group, he’s not technically an Oilers prospect but may be signed before next season. A late-season run (10GP, 3-5-8) suggests he may be adjusting to the speed of the AHL game.
  6. C Jujhar Khaira 51GP, 4-6-10. Along with Yakimov, Khaira impressed everyone with size, speed and skill in training camp. Unlike Bogdan, the offense didn’t come in the AHL and he’ll need to improve production in year two.
  7. L Kellen Jones, 44GP, 5-9-14. Small two-way winger impressed the hell out of everyone this year as a penalty killer. He’s a long shot for NHL employment but a bona fide AHL player.
  8. L Mitch Moroz 61GP, 5-3-8. Big winger was used sparingly at times this season but injuries in the second half forced the team to play him more. Three of his five goals came in the last 10 games after the first 50 games saw a lot of running in place.
  9. C Connor Jones 36GP, 4-4-8. Like his brother, a PK demon based on reports. A little shy of his brother offensively, at least this season.

The best AHL rookie doesn’t guarantee long term NHL success, but Brossoit and Yakimov are off to solid starts. A quick note: Brossoit qualifies as a rookie, Iiro Pakarinen does not. It’s a strange reflection of the NA rules in regard to European pro’s, one I don’t always observe. In this case, I would still select Brossoit but wanted to mention Pakarinen as part of the overall group.

• R Iiro Pakarinen 39GP, 17-11-28.  Rugged Finnish winger with abundant skill, he’s an absolute pleasure to watch. Injuries derailed his season and are a concern but he looks bona fide based on his first NA season.

45 Responses to "BROSSOIT BARONS’ BEST ROOKIE 2014-15"

So if Brossoit turns into at minimum a NHL back up does MacT win the Smid trade?

Some have MacT winning it already.

Some have MacT losing it already.

I don’t particularly care, but am interested in opinions.

You hate Smid so moving him away for a yellowing support cup and a bag of sticky buns was probably a win in your mind.

Thoughts?

Woodguy:

Some have MacT winning it already.

Some have MacT losing it already.

I don’t particularly care, but am interested in opinions.

Thoughts?

At the time of the Smid deal, he was struggling but still an NHL defender (and the goalie headed the other way was Olivier Roy). Laddy has struggled more since the trade, so the only benefit I see is cap relief which was promptly used on a defenseman with issues.

Brossoit and Horak are the only pieces who COULD change the balance on this deal but for now I’m inclined to call it even with the potential to favor the Oilers, either small or big.

Apparently MacT isn’t the only GM who can’t evaluate Dmen.

Jim Benning decided that below replacement Luca Sbisa was worth $3.6MM/yr for each of the next 3 years.

Seriously, every Oiler AHL Dman who played last night is probably better than Sbisa.

Not good for the Dys.

Benning also gave 4th liner Dorsett 4 years (!) x 2.65MM

He’s like Hendricksx but with more offence.

He kicked the shit out of our friend PDO too this year putting up a 1016, but 4th liners tend to have good PDO due to opponents being better at hacking the puck square than putting it behind a goalie.

Not a terrible contract like Sbisa, but probably $1MM more than it needed to be.

Lowetide: Until Brossoit posts a season in the NHL that can be counted as filling a spot, then I don’t think we can give a lot of value to the acquisition. Same with Horak.

Fair.

Just a giant pile of meh no matter which way you look at it.

For now.

I liked this part:

No shit eh?

I foresee Girardi or similar being traded here this summer and being heralded by management and MSM as a “veteran leader/savior” and basically being Ference 2.0.

The wheel in the sky keeps on turning…..

Woodguy: Fair.

Just a giant pile of meh no matter which way you look at it.

For now.

I liked this part:

No shit eh?

The wheel in the sky keeps on turning…..

Ha! At least Steve Perry could sing! Oilers voices are not good!

6. LadiesloveSmid says:

“His .491 point-per-game total isn’t a strong number for a rookie in the AHL.”

why is that? compares favourably to guys like Shinkaruk/Mantha

LadiesloveSmid:
    “His .491 point-per-game total isn’t a strong number for a rookie in the AHL.”

why is that? compares favourably to guys like Shinkaruk/Mantha

Lots of kids coming in with better numbers this season

That doesn’t mean Yakimov will fail, just that he may not be a top six option. If he had .7 or so we could be more confident. It doesn’t always translate (Harikainen) and we don’t know TOI but it’s a consideration when we’re evaluating.

8. Gordies Elbow says:

Woodguy:

Some have MacT winning it already.

Some have MacT losing it already.

I don’t particularly care, but am interested in opinions.

Thoughts?

Losing Smid hurt, although not as much as losing Olivier Roy. That left the organization dangerously low on Roy’s. Hopefully, with Derrick, the hopeful signing of Marco, and soon Nick and/or Jeremy, we will have a decent complement of Roys. If we could find more Ryan’s, that would help too. Anyone know if we can find a player named Ryan Roy?

As an Oil Kings fan, was really happy with the return for Smid. I always liked Brossoit, and really liked Horak. I hated to lose a player like Smid, but in hindsight, his game has fallen down the elevator shaft, likely due to injury. I wish only the best for him, but with what was given versus received, I would have to chalk this one up in the win column.

9. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

I don’t think we see Yak2 as a top 6 forward do we? The 1C and 2C seem cemented for a decade with RNH and LD. I would think Yak2 is battling for 3C with Lander and that will be tough sledding. Having said this and he can’t push ahead of Lander, where does he fit? 3 line winger?

10. MightyOil1 says:

Sorry to thread jack but I wanted to ask the community a question:

Who are the top 4 teams in each conference for score adjusted fenwick?

Info is greatly appreciated, where I can find the info would be appreciated as well.

11. pts2pndr says:

Re yakimov. His ppt cud be screwed as this was also an adjustment year with new language and country not to mention smaller ice surface. I believe his ice time was also somewhat limited early when he was number 3-4 center. My thoughts are he should thrive next year!
    On another point why are so many people on the Jones bandwagon ? I was not overly impressed with him last night.

12. Mr_Ginge says:

Not sure how many people have seen this, and not at all relevant to the post, but I just saw someone post this on twitter today and I’m kind of loving it.

Takes a players advanced stats from the year and shows you the most similar seasons going by those metrics.

13. Mr_Ginge says:

MightyOil1,

West top four were, from one to four;
    LA
    St. Louis
    Nashville
    Winnipeg

East from 1-4
    NYI
    Tampa Bay
    Pittsburgh
    Detroit

Found on war-on-ice.com in the “Team Statistics” tab.

Closest 20-year old to Yak this season? Wayne Simmonds, 2008-09.

15. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy:
    Apparently MacT isn’t the only GM who can’t evaluate Dmen.

Not good for the Dys.

Benning also gave 4th liner Dorsett 4 years (!) x 2.65MM

He’s like Hendricksx but with more offence.

The Sbisa contract is a bit of a puzzle…but the Dorsett contract isn’t.

He’s 3 years younger than Boyd Gordon but has more offence and can play up and down the lineup.

Gordon’s cap hit is $3M while Dorsett’s new deal is at $2.65 million…that’s a steal.

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:

Oh yeah, for sure. I just wanted to frame the scoring to reflect where he is as a player. We have to remember he’s a third-round pick, if he plays 100 NHL games he’s a winner.

17. Pouzar says:

LB is da shit.

18. leadfarmer says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Nope, two bad contracts. An Ahl defenseman and a 4th liner who is having a career year points wise while having a 43% corsi for is not someone you overpay for and then do it for 4 years. Boyd Gordon is one of the best face off guys and defensive centers in the league who has to skate uphill every minute he’s on the ice. The two are not comparable.

19. leadfarmer says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Bit of a puzzle? It’s absolutely atrocious. If MacT gave him that contract you would be in an uproar, as would the rest of us. Same as Dorsett. But since Vancouver does it you tone it down to “a bit of a puzzle” . you really should go troll the Canucks blogs like those signings deserve.

20. Dashingsilverfox says:

leadfarmer:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Nope, two bad contracts.An Ahl defenseman and a 4th liner who is having a career year points wise while having a 43% corsi for is not someone you overpay for and then do it for 4 years.Boyd Gordon is one of the best face off guys and defensive centers in the league who has to skate uphill every minute he’s on the ice.The two are not comparable.

There are times you need to watch the games.

21. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Daryl Katz vs. the Erie Otters:

More:

Not Daryl Katz vs. the Erie Otters, rather Daryl Katz vs. Sherry Bassin.

Katz loaned Sherry Bassin $4.2 million, with an option to purchase the Otters. Bassin can’t repay the original loan, and didn’t sell the team. Katz called the loan, and Bassin can’t repay, leading to Sherry Bassin calling for a Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Personally, if I were Bassin, I would have moved the team for the >$6m transfer price that Katz originally agreed to. If that wasn’t his intention (to move the team to Katz) he should never have taken the $4.2 million. If anything, Katz is an excellent businessman. Bassin, not so much, apparently.

22. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: There are times you need to watch the games.

Visually?

23. Dashingsilverfox says:

leadfarmer:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Bit of a puzzle?It’s absolutely atrocious.If MacT gave him that contract you would be in an uproar, as would the rest of us.Same as Dorsett.But since Vancouver does it you tone it down to “a bit of a puzzle” . you really should go troll the Canucks blogs like those signings deserve.

While I agree the contract seems like a mistake…it’s not like the numerous errors MacT has made.

24. Jimmy says:

I lurk here regularly and almost never comment. I read almost all comments and have learned a shit-ton about the game I love. But, DSF…sometimes you’re just too much

25. meanashell11 says:

Jimmy:

26. admiralmark says:

meanashell11: And that’s why I don’t do HF Boards anymore! Even though “that individual” is not there, I just could not take the raw trolling. Sorry LT but there’s a reason……

Question: Is it really trolling if the poster believes what he/she is writing? Not to speak for DSF but it appears he believes what he writes which to me is not truly trolling. But that’s just me.

27. dangilitis says:

Dashingsilverfox: I would pay Sbisa $3.6M sooner than I would pay Nikitin $4.5M, Ference $3.25M or Schultz $3.7M.

MacT sucks? Tell us something we don’t know.
    ((c) Edddie Murphy))

28. Dashingsilverfox says:

dangilitis: That was never the issue up for debate, it was whether or not the contracts were shit.

MacT sucks? Tell us something we don’t know.
    It ain’t like people at this site sit around thinking “Really? Does he suck? I didn’t know he sucks.”((c) Edddie Murphy))

Fair enough.

As I said, I think the Sbisa contract is questionable…Benning must think he still has upside.

The Dorsett contract is just fine in my opinion.

Dashingsilverfox: Fair enough.

The Dorsett contract is just fine in my opinion.

I don’t think either contract is wise, as both players can be duplicated for less. Having said that, it’s easy enough to point at the Oilers and identify poorer signings and Justin Schultz’ deal is up again this summer.

30. Numenius says:

Guess who has the 4th most 5×5 points on the team since full Nelson (Dec. 30, 2014–).

Think really sleepy.

Eberle 44, 13-12-25, 2.23 (P/60)
    Nuge 42, 9-9-18, 1.72
    Roy 44, 7-8-15, 1.47
    Klefbom 44, 2-12-14 1.02
    Pouliot 36, 9-4-13 1.63
    Yakupov 43, 4-9-13 1.35
    Hall 21, 1-10-11 2.01
    Lander 35, 1-10-11 1.62
    Purcell 44, 3-6-9 0.90
    Ference 37, 2-7-9 0.94
    Schultz 44, 3-4-7 0.50

Speaking of Schultz, it’s interesting that he has not had a good run 5×5. He has fewer points than Ference in more games. Must be embarrassing.

He fares much better when PP is included, but is still one behind Klefbom (Klef 2-16-18 1.11 for 7th, Schultz 3-13-16 0.94 for 8th).

31. Snowman says:

Dashingsilverfox,

This is by no means a sarcastic question. Do you even like the Oilers? Or do you just come here for the conversation?

32. Dashingsilverfox says:

Snowman:
    Dashingsilverfox,

There’s not much to like about the Oilers…in fact I was just reading the latest summation of how truly awful they are.

As a fan since the WHA days, I keep hoping they will do the right thing but, to be honest, I don’t think they ever will.

33. Pouzar says:

Decrease your spin loft everyone!

Happy Masters!

GO PHIL GO!!!!!!
    and Weirsy too.

Pouzar:
    Decrease your spin loft everyone!

Happy Masters!

GO PHIL GO!!!!!!
    and Weirsy too.

I’m cheering for all of the lieutenants! (pronounced left-tennants)

35. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: I’m cheering for all of the lieutenants! (pronounced left-tennants)

Me as well my friend.

36. Dashingsilverfox says:

Jamie Benn…with 3 points tonight…now tied for the NHL scoring lead.

Dashingsilverfox:
    Jamie Benn…with 3 points tonight…now tied for the NHL scoring lead.

I’ve been lighting candles all year! Huzzah!

38. Dashingsilverfox says:

Lowetide: I’ve been lighting candles all year! Huzzah!

Hell of a player…and a Vancouver Island boy!

39. Marc says:

Lowetide: Lots of kids coming in with better numbers this season

Anthony Mantha (same age as Yak2) – 60 GP 15-18-33
    Henrik Samuelsson (8 months older than Yak 2) – 65 GP 14-21-35

Should be interesting comps going forward.

Marc: A couple of much more famous AHL rookies, both the same size as Yak2, put up very similar numbers this year:

Anthony Mantha (same age as Yak2) – 60 GP 15-18-33
    Henrik Samuelsson (8 months older than Yak 2) – 65 GP 14-21-35

Should be interesting comps going forward.

Yes, I’m in no way condemning him to a 3rd line role, just stating that the point-per-game total is not in line with obvious future top line prospects. Lots of factors, new continent, language, TOI, he definitely turned a corner later on so we have to be aware of that, too.

41. PhrankLee says:

Dashingsilverfox,

I heard only whores and hocey pla..

nevermind.

PhrankLee:
    Dashingsilverfox,

I heard only whores and hocey pla..

nevermind.

Best hockey joke of all time.

43. PhrankLee says:

Lowetide: PhrankLee:
    Dashingsilverfox,
    I heard only whores and hocey pla..
    nevermind.
    Best hockey joke of all time.

It truly is.