OILERS RECALL BROSSOIT, HAMILTON

The Edmonton Oilers continued their audition recalls this afternoon by calling Laurent Brossoit and Curtis Hamilton to the majors for the first time. The two prospects are the last remaining of a group the organization stated a desire to have a look at before season’s end.

graham brossoitBrossoit was beaten by David Musil earlier this week for the honor of being the first Oil King to play as an Oiler but he should get a chance to play one of the final games this season. Brossoit’s year has been epic in proportion, one expects he may sleep all summer. His totals (49GP, 2.65 .916) include almost constant employment in net since Bachman was recalled to Edmonton. Brossoit is the best goaltending prospect in the system, was acquired by the current GM and has an enormous opportunity based on the current depth chart. I have him ranked as the No. 16 prospect in the system, he’ll be climbing in the June ranking.

hamilton ferguson 14-15

Curtis Hamilton also gets a recall after his best (and healthiest) pro season. Hamilton’s 2015-16 likely involves another AHL winter and it may not be as an Oilers farmhand—the crossroads decision for the big club will no doubt be tied to names like Matt Fraser, Josh Winquist, Marco Roy and Jackson Houck. That 50-man list gets crowded in a hurry. Hamilton has had injury issues as a pro, credit to the Oilers for being so patient with him, but it’s an open question in regard to his being part of the organization in the fall. That might be part of the reason for this recall, although it’s not quite clear what they’ll see in one or two games. Hamilton’s season was easily his best and the splits between pre and post Christmas are interesting:

• Pre-Christmas: 27GP, 6-10-16 .593
  • Post-Christmas: 33GP, 6-7-13 .394

I ranked Hamilton No. 19 on the winter list. If he plays for the Oilers in the final two games, he will be No. 6 from the 2010 Oilers draft:

1. Taylor Hall 297
  2. Martin Marincin 83
  3. Tyler Pitlick 25
  4. Brandon Davidson 10
  5. Tyler Bunz 1

The last Oilers draft that produced six Oilers? 2003, the year of Marc Pouliot, Colin McDonald, J-F Jacques, Kyle Brodziak, Zack Stortini, the breakable Mathieu Roy, and Troy Bodie. The best of the bunch? Seventh-round selection Kyle Brodziak.

56 Responses to "OILERS RECALL BROSSOIT, HAMILTON"

1. thejonrmcleod says:

Wasn’t Musil the first Oil King?

thejonrmcleod:
    Wasn’t Musil the first Oil King?

Brossoit was the first Oil King to DRESS as an Oiler, as Corey Graham’s tweet above mentions. As I mention below it, Musil was the first Oil King to PLAY in a game as an Oiler.

3. thejonrmcleod says:

Yes, I was guilty of not reading the entire post before commenting. That’ll learn me.

4. Ca$h-Money! says:

Is it fair to say it’s Hamilton vs. Pitlick at this point?

Ca$h-Money!:
    Is it fair to say it’s Hamilton vs. Pitlick at this point?

I’d say it’s Hamilton versus Winquist or Roy. Pitlick will be back imo.

thejonrmcleod:

That’s my specialty! 🙂

7. Ribs says:

Brossoit was beaten by David Musil earlier this week for the honor of being the first Oil King to play as an Oiler but…

Well, I guess if we don’t count the WCHL days…

8. Oddspell says:

I notice the tweet says “loaned Richard Backman to the OKC Barons”. What’s the difference between a loan and a demotion? I’m assuming Bachman doesn’t go through waivers and stays on the roster?

9. Bruce McCurdy says:

I was surprised there wasn’t more buzz locally about Musil being the first former Oil King to play a game for the Oilers.

Give or take Ross Perkins, Jim Harrison, Ace Bailey, Eddie Joyal, Ron Anderson, Bob Falkenberg, Al Hamilton, Glen Sather, Doug Barrie, Bob & Ted McAneeley, Kerry Ketter, Bruce MacGregor and a fistful of others from the WHA days and far smaller number who played for both Oil Kings and NHL Oilers after the merger.

PS: Ribs beat me to it while I was compiling my list!

I always liked Bob Falkenberg because of the story about his being assaulted by Derek Sanderson at the Mem Cup. Met him years later, very nice man. Had most of his hockey cards as a kid, didn’t tell him when I met him though. 🙂

11. kinger_OIL says:

Someone in last thread mentioned Mess. There is a school of thought out there that in fact Mess will come back as GM, and it would be viewed as a positive: he’s actually liked and respected around the league (MacT has few allies in the league). Mess would be able to surround himself with good, non-Oiler people, GM’s would take his calls. While part of the Boys on the Bus Club, he’s not tied to the organization like the hanger-oners. Not sure I buy it, but interesting perspective, that I was reminded to share.

12. LadiesloveSmid says:

According to sportsclubstats.com, Pittsburgh still has a 92.9% of making the playoffs. The pressing Sens we all need to root for are sitting at 31.8%.

Pittsburgh’s up 1 point on OTT and plays NYI and BUF to round out the season. Ottawa plays NYR and PHI. Unlikely it all works out, yes, but we need to cheer like hell so we have another “lottery” pick!

Even if they only get the 14th-17th pick though, use EDM’s 2nd/MTL’s 2nd/however many 3rds to move up even further. Werenski/Kylington if they take Strome/Marner or Merkley/Crouse(yes aha) if they take Hanifin/Provorov

13. fifthcartel says:

Those Sbisa/Dorsett contracts are great for the Oilers. They really did well.

14. Магия 10 says:

Bruce McCurdy:

PS: Ribs beat me to it while I was compiling my list!

Property of the Winterhawks every one of em’. Lumpers count ’em. Splitters refer to the current franchise.

Ca$h-Money!:
    Is it fair to say it’s Hamilton vs. Pitlick at this point?

Why? Check out the games played for Colin McDonald for the Islanders, and Chris Vandevelde for the Flyeres.

Pisani went to college for 4 years, and then took two years at the AHL level. Pisani is who we want Hamilton to be.

Detroit model. Keep signing them till you lose the on waivers. Don’t worry too much if you lose them on waivers. It depends a bit on how tight one is to the 50 contract limit, and well, the NHL audition is pretty important considering how well Pakarenin, Miller, and Pitlick have looked.

16. season not played says:

Lowetide: I’d say it’s Hamilton versus Winquist or Roy. Pitlick will be back imo.

17. Ca$h-Money! says:

godot10,

Point conceded.

18. gogliano says:

kinger_OIL:
    Someone in last thread mentioned Mess.There is a school of thought out there that in fact Mess will come back as GM, and it would be viewed as a positive: he’s actually liked and respected around the league (MacT has few allies in the league).Mess would be able to surround himself with good, non-Oiler people, GM’s would take his calls.While part of the Boys on the Bus Club, he’s not tied to the organization like the hanger-oners.Not sure I buy it, but interesting perspective, that I was reminded to share.

Outed as a Daryl Katz plant.

19. Dashingsilverfox says:

Jim Nill has been named Canada’s general manager for the upcoming world championships in Prague.

Nill, GM of the NHL’s Dallas Stars, has a history with Hockey Canada. He helped Canada win the world championship title as director of player personnel in 2003 and GM in 2004.

Joining Nill on the management team are former Washington Capitals GM George McPhee, former Toronto Maple Leafs assistant GM Claude Loiselle, Arizona Coyotes goaltending coach Sean Burke, Tampa Bay Lightning assistant GM Pat Verbeek and Scott Salmond of Hockey Canada.

20. Магия 10 says:

Dashingsilverfox: Arizona Coyotes goaltending coach Sean Burke,

After the tank battle Burke will be delighted to have good things again.

21. Jon K says:

kinger_OIL:

That’s very surprising to hear. I have always thought that Mac had a good reputation around the league and outside Oiler circles, and that it was actually the opposite with Messier.

Regardless, Messier stepping in as GM would be an absolute PR nightmare. He’s even less qualified than MacT, given that he has no relevant management education, has never coached professionally, and quite frankly came to the Oilers after he couldn’t get a position within the NYR organization,

Then again, literally nothing could surprise me anymore when it comes to the Oilers.

22. stush18 says:

season not played: LT, where do you see Winquist fitting in as an Oiler? Do you envision him as a top six option? Do you think his skillset is suited to the bottom six? Just trying to figure out your love for this player.

If he can fix his skating i see him as a top nine scoring option in a couple years. Give him all of next year in a more prominant role, amd the year after as the prominant role.

He put up 93p in 67 games in his final whl year on a defensive minded silvertips team. And he played very well in the echl with 23 in 18 games before being called back up. Not aure what any of the math says about him but from the eyes he looks skilled, smart with a choppy stride. Im also pretty sure he took off in the new year where he gathered most of his points.

Maybe we have a mark stone on our hands! Not likely, but maybe we have a potential top nine winger?

23. kinger_OIL says:

Bohologo,

I agree with all – but there is that “old-school” view out there. I could see the Oil believing it…

I don’t love the player but am intrigued by him. I’m not suggesting the team release impact players to sign him but he was quality in junior and this has been a good transition year. He’s progressing and may one day develop. That’s the case with most of the AHL kids, you’re throwing them against a wall to see what sticks.

25. Ice Sage says:

Good asset development by the Oilers (if he plays) – this is a good entry spot for Brossoit – low pressure game, familiar rink, team clicking a bit, opponent in disarray but with some bite (haha) left – he just has to save the 100 ft shots and he’ll own this town (again).

26. OF17 says:

Pittsburgh sure is making it difficult to trade their 1st for immediate help. I’d always assumed that it would be gone in a package for D, but now that it’ll be closer to 15 than 25, can you really justify that? That pick is a Svechnikov, a Meier, a Kylington maybe. Comparing those guys to other recent picks makes the head spin.

Svechnikov has more points than Nick Ritchie did last year in fewer games. Meier was within 0.17 PPG of Ehlers’s draft year production, and Kylington’s scouting reports say many of the things that Klefbom’s did except Kylington has more than double the production. These players are legit blue-chip prospects, the type that you’d never get straight-up for Perron.

That trade is starting to look quite nice.

27. striatic says:

OF17: That trade is starting to look quite nice.

Great comps and perspective. Go Sens.

28. stush18 says:

OF17:

That trade is starting to look quite nice.

Kylington is ranked as the 6th international skater. Scouts are saying he may drop as low as the second round. If we could somehow manage to get him with our second rounder i would be ecstatic

29. meanashell11 says:

Jon K,

That position was head coach. Messier has been involved in a management role with NYR for years and left when Sather would not give him the HC. Mark Messier lives up the street from me, MacT’s kid played locally around here in school (private prep school), I run into these guys all the time. The role of GM is not what it once was in a cap world, trades are very difficult to execute, I honestly believe GM is more ceremonial now than ever. I do not believe there is any chance Moose becomes the next GM but he is really well respected around the league and would be an excellent asset for the management group. If you have ever met him, he just exudes leadership and demands respect. I honestly think he is a guy who can convince UFA’s to come to Edmonton.

30. Bruce McCurdy says:

Магия 10: Property of the Winterhawks every one of em’. Lumpers count ‘em. Splitters refer to the current franchise.

“Former Oil King” is the term in question.

31. rickithebear says:

Bohologo: his team is in the playoffs, and mine isn’t.

The leafs are not in the playoffs.

Sutter April 2003 to dec 2010:

Engelland 2014
    Diaz 2014
    Potter 2014
    Schlemko 2015
    Hiller 2014

32. Ryan says:

Hey blog :), I am looking for a good tv series to watch on Netflix or iTunes..

My tastes include: sons of anarchy, game of thrones, and suits… Any suggestions?

33. DBO says:

Ryan,

Vikings is excellent.

Ryan:
    Hey blog :), I am looking for a good tv series to watch on Netflix or iTunes..

My tastes include: sons of anarchy, game of thrones, and suits…Any suggestions?

It’s always Sunny in Philadelphia. I love that show.

35. unca miltie says:

36. Younger Oil says:

Ryan:
    Hey blog :), I am looking for a good tv series to watch on Netflix or iTunes..

My tastes include: sons of anarchy, game of thrones, and suits…Any suggestions?

Sherlock is one of the best shows on Netflix IMO. Amazing.

If you like comedy at all, give Community and/or Arrested Development a try as well.

I’ve heard good things about House of Cards, haven’t had a chance to watch it myself.

unca miltie: We had Bob Wall and Bob Falkenburg to a sale we had at our dealership in Whitecourt in the 1970’s. I think we paid them all of $100 each for the appearance. Nice guys both.

$100 was a bunch back then.

38. HiddenDarts says:

Ryan,

If you like It’s Always Sunny, then The League is a definite must. Workaholics has its moments, and Broad City is actually quite funny.

House Of Cards is pretty great. There are definitely moments where you need Incredible Hulk-strength suspension of disbelief, but it is a good watch. And you can watch marathon style on Netflix.

39. Unicorns says:

Younger Oil: Sherlock is one of the best shows on Netflix IMO. Amazing.

We enjoy House of Cards. We watched the British original first and it is in our opinion better, still Spacey and Wright are really good, the story is engaging and a bit twisted for a political piece.

40. unca miltie says:

Lowetide: $100 was a bunch back then.

unca miltie: So very true, most of the NHL guys had to work other jobs in the summer to survive. fyi, I worked in a bank in the very early 1970’s and had some eskimos as customers. My 4200 per year salary was higher than some of them..

Husky hired him that fall and my Mom could quit the Pine Island Lodge. Husky was a really good company for us, they treated my Dad well. I still buy gas there, just down the hill.

42. Numenius says:

I love McDavid’s draft profile video comments.

“I think, um, I’m a pretty good skater, pretty good with the puck, and you know, I’m a pretty offensive guy, and, um, I guess that’d kinda be the main parts of my game.”

He’s also pretty modest.

43. bendelson says:

Ryan:
    Hey blog :), I am looking for a good tv series to watch on Netflix or iTunes..

My tastes include: sons of anarchy, game of thrones, and suits…Any suggestions?

We recently flew through House of Cards and are watching Portlandia these days. Sons of Anarchy or Game of Thrones it is most certainly not but if you are looking for something very different… we are enjoying it.

44. G Money says:

Younger Oil: Sherlock is one of the best shows on Netflix IMO. Amazing.

I’m quite enjoying Misfits, though I can’t binge watch it. Delightfully and typically weird Brit scifi.

45. Dashingsilverfox says:

Ryan:
    Hey blog :), I am looking for a good tv series to watch on Netflix or iTunes..

My tastes include: sons of anarchy, game of thrones, and suits…Any suggestions?

If you have an Apple TV and a U.S. IP address, HBO is now available for $14.95/month (first month is free)

Amazing content.

46. Магия 10 says:

Bruce McCurdy: “Former Oil King” is the term in question.

Understood. Not the first time I’ve seen the phrase used without out a thought for the original franchise.

47. unca miltie says:

Lowetide: When we moved to Saskatchewan in the winter of 1970 (December) my Dad couldn’t get work. My Mom got a job at the Pine Island Lodge working nights. My Dad got a job the following spring working for a farmer making $1.44 an hour. I’ll never forget that number. $1.44 an hour.

Yes, 1.44 per hour..and that was not terrible pay at the time. In 1967 I worked as a gravel checker for Sask. Depth. of highway for $1.25 per hour. But we had a 65 hour work week..so thought the money was good. and no over time pay…
    Of course my dad would talk about working in the logging camps around Hudson Bay for $1.00 per day. Just means we are getting old. And times have changed a bit.
    If you and I stop and think about the material quality of life we have today, and compare it to what our parents had, it is quite amazing. My Dad never left Saskatchewan until the Nipawin Hawks went to the Royal Bank Cup in 1990. He was 80 years old and travelled with the team to Vernon.

48. Suntory Hanzo says:

Ryan,

1) Breaking bad would be the number one choice, but guessing you have seen it. Super intense, good mix of drama and laughs.

2) Sherlock. Very well written stories and crafty camera work.

3) Bloodline is a new Netflix original. Family with dark secrets. Very well done.

4) Vikings one could say is somewhat close to SOA. Not sure if on Netflix.

5) Mad Men is great too, although had a terrible pilot that once you get through, really kicks in.

6) agreed on Arrested development

7) Entourage is a wonderful look at Hollywood through the eyes of a group of friends. Plenty of laughs pretty women and cars. Not on Netflix

Hope you find something you like! All this coming from a really judgey theatre and film teacher.
    nt

49. Suntory Hanzo says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Or if anyone wants, my neighbour sells android Gboxes that stream everything. All TV and movies. Pretty much anything that has been made. Most in HD. Zero per month. Haven’t had cable in 3 years. Also allows streaming of all sports (although not in HD) which where I watch all my games.

50. Ryan says:

Hey everyone, thanks for all of your help! You guys all rock. I love this place. 🙂

Make sure to check out GMoney’s blog when you get a chance. He’s been doing some great stuff lately.

Poor Parkatti was on fire until the Oilers crushed his soul in November of last year. It takes brass balls to be an Oilers blogger. 🙂

51. Genjutsu says:

So then plan for next year down the middle is:

Hall
    Nuge
    Lander
    Gordon

If that works this team looks loads different IMO.