WHO IN THE WORLD IS AHTI OKSANEN?

We’re back to getting the news on Oilers’ offseason thinking from Jim Matheson of the EJ, effectively returning to life before Al Gore invented the worldwide web. Yesterday Mr. Matheson dropped a new name for possible procurement:

• Matheson: The Oilers may also be interested in O’Connor’s teammate, Finnish defenceman/forward Ahti Oksanen, also a free-agent. The six-foot-three, 205-pound Oksanen had 25 goals in 40 games this past season when moved from the back-end. Source

Interesting information to be sure and Oksanen has some nice things in his resume. He’s a Finn (we love Finns, they’re basically us with accents and equal or more crazy) and his size/skill would absolutely make him interesting.

• Boston Hockey Blog: Junior winger Ahti Oksanen made the transition from the blue line to the forwards corps this season look almost seamless. He arguably has the best one-timer on the team, and just always seems to be in the right spot with just enough space to create a chance. Source

oksansen capture

The one-timer is fascinating, as is his utility—Oilers fans are probably thinking power play and that makes a lot of sense. His NHLE (via Rob Vollman) works out to 82, 17-9-26 suggests offensive ability and his coach saw offensive ability in him early.

• Boston University coach David Quinn: “You know, we had a glaring need up front, and after coaching Ahti for a year, I thought all his strengths were going to be highlighted up front. The way he sees the ice, his shot, his hockey sense, his strength around the puck. I don’t know if anyone has got a stronger stick in college hockey, and we needed a left wing. When I told Ahti that’s what we’re going to do, he didn’t react with a huge smile. There was definitely some reluctance on his part. I had to do some arm twisting. But, like when I told him we were going to move him up front, I told him we were not going to put you on a third or fourth line. We were going to put you up front and we think you’re going to be one of the top six forwards.” Source

We may never hear a thing about him but Oksansen is a prospect of some promise. Edmonton is in the mix and has interest and after that we’ll wait and see.

SLEPY UPDATE

Patrick C (Chunklets Hockey) has an update for us today in regard to the Slepyshev contract:

• Patrick: Yep – reports today indicate that that is exactly what happened. Link to article. What it means, likely, is that it will cost the Oilers a fair bit of money to buy him out of his KHL contract, if that’s what they want to do. They may, at this point, choose to leave him in Russia for a year, so that they only have to buy out one season. That’s a straight-up guess, though. 🙂

I’d wager that with Matty and Ryan Rishaug having the same story (I wrote about it here) that MacT will come home from the U18’s with a contract in hand. The Oilers are very likely to get him over here if they’re convinced of him.

simpson ferguson 1415 oneDillon Simpson photo by Rob Ferguson all right reserved

BARONS PLAY TONIGHT

The Barons play Hamilton at 6 our time tonight at Cox Convention Center in OKC. The defense needed some help and received it in a big way, as Martin Marincin, Brandon Davidson and David Musil came back from Edmonton. The goaltending looks strong again with Richard Bachman and Laurent Brossoit, plus Andrew Miller (who shone in Edmonton) should help the offense. I’ll update the scores in the comments section and pass along junior goals too (most of Edmonton’s top prospects are in action tonight).

89 Responses to "WHO IN THE WORLD IS AHTI OKSANEN?"

1. LadiesloveSmid says:

the oilers should Oksanen Jultz up to right wing where his skill set would be better suited

2. Giant Squid Overlord says:

Hey all. thanks for all the wonderful feedback on the “Ode to Lowetide.ca” picture. So glad you enjoyed it. I accidentally deleted the picture at the above link while trying to set up a printing option. So here is a new link:

New Link

It had over 700 views and 60 downloads in less than 20 hours, last time I checked, which is way more than my other 3D art pieces have received in that short of time. Thanks all. As a hobby 3D creator, this experience has been my most rewarding so far!

3. delooper says:

Nice news articles about Leon Draisaitl being the bane of Victoria’s existence. http://thehockeywriters.com/whl-notebook-talking-nhl-stuff-with-draisaitl-lowry/

Giant Squid Overlord:
    Hey all. thanks for all the wonderful feedback on the “Ode to Lowetide.ca” picture. So glad you enjoyed it. I accidentally deleted the picture at the above link while trying to set upa printing option. So here is a new link:

New Link

Still can’t get over how good that is, so very well done.

lines (LW-C-RW):
    C. Hamilton-Winquist-Pinizzotto;
    R. Hamilton-Platzer-Miller;
    K. Jones-C. Jones-Ford;
    Moroz-Ewanyk-Wincheste

Defensive pairings:
    Marincin-Hunt;
    Simpson-Musil;
    Davidson-Oesterle

7. delooper says:

I was on the same ferry as the Kelowna team, from Vancouver to Victoria. When I was a kid I thought hockey players looked big and strong. But they looked like a bunch of gangly teenagers.

8. Giant Squid Overlord says:

Thanks again. It really was my pleasure.

For those who asked about or were interested in buying prints, I suggest you download the file and find a printing service you can upload it to. The one I tried was expensive and the process to set it up left me unsure that it would be cropped properly.

9. FTO says:

Hey LT, you really think the oil buy out Slepyshev’s contract and bring him over? Doesn’t he need another development year or two yet before he makes the show? How good has he been over there?

Really excited for him but surprised to hear you say he’d be coming here next year.

10. TheOtherJohn says:

Reposted from earlier thread

“Great reminder by DSF and NYCoil to everyone

Lowetide left his Sales job, does 3 radio programs a week and writes this blog as part of his employment. As such he is, through Paypal, running this Blog as part of his total income . To the extent that you can afford to hit the Pay Pal button above, periodically, and keep him writing his more than 7 posts a week here, I know I appreciate it

It is always great to know what optimistic Oiler fans thin

11. Bruce McCurdy says:

Giant Squid Overlord,

Fabulous attention to detail. LT’s dream gal with a pic of MAP and one of Bobby Orr, the three-for-one trade (with Superb rendering), and of course having Another Beer, Just outstanding, I spent half my time laughing and the other half marveling at the art form.

12. unca miltie says:

TheOtherJohn,

Thanks for the reminder..IMO, it is worth more to me to read here than to subscribe to the Journal on line.

13. Bruce McCurdy says:

I saw bits & pieces of BU’s games in the tournament & Oksanen was impressive. He parked his wide load on the edge of the blue paint and nobody could budge him. But he wasn’t just taking up a parking space, he was bloody dangerous.

14. Dashingsilverfox says:

Everyone knows Minnesota gets all the Finns.

Koivu

Granlund

Bergenheim

Haula

Backstrom

/thread

(They’re also very active in signing undrafted free agents)

15. Giant Squid Overlord says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Thanks for the kind words Bruce. No offence meant with “The Edmonton Urinal” reference. It’s still the only daily I read (for sports), and I haven’t lived in province for a decade.

16. dessert1111 says:

I’m headed to the Victoria – Kelowna game tonight. Saw game 2 on TV and it was a good one. I’ve really liked Soy each time I’ve seen him for a draft eligible, and Leon is of course more than worth the price of admission at this level. Hoping for a close one!

FTO:

18. FTO says:

Lowetide: Oh yeah, I think this is the year to bring him over. Yakimov will be in Bakersfield too and you have lots of room for skilled wingers on the farm. The Oilers aren’t loaded with skill wingers after Hall-Eberle, Pouliot-Yakupov. Slepy could get some NHL time with injury.

Great to hear, I would love that outcome. Extremely interested in how his numbers translate to the AHL, especially playing with Yak2. And with LaLeggia down in Bakersfield as well that will be a team to watch for sure.

19. haters says:

Eta on nurse ?

20. FTO says:

haters:
    Eta on nurse ?

I would hope he got a full year in the AHL, even Draisatl as well. But who knows if the oil let them ripen on the vine like that.

21. Dashingsilverfox says:

haters:
    Eta on nurse ?

He’s playing tonight…has an assist.

22. stephen sheps says:

Giant Squid Overlord:

New Link

ssm is up 3-1 tonight, Nurse and assist. 8GP, 2-2-4 +15. That team is on fire.

24. Numenius says:

It’s an interesting suggestion that the Oil might be able to buy out the contract that Slepy just signed. Is that really possible?

It’d be a great deal for us (aside from costing Katz money) because we’d be getting a great player without it costing the cap while effectively paying him KHL money. But it all seems too good to be true. Do the rules really allow that?

I’d imagine if it works, the league and other teams would be pretty miffed over it, and I’d guess there’d soon be changes to prevent it from happening in the future.

25. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: (LW-C-RW)

Don’t suppose you have a road report on Damascus?

haters:
    Eta on nurse ?

All spring and summer, we’ll hear about patience. Early in TC, one of the incumbents will develop a shoulder issue and Nurse will draw raves for miles around. One Saturday morning in Sept, an interview will appear on the Oilers site featuring the GM in a time of reflection.

“How do you keep Darnell Nurse off the team?”

“We came into this training camp determined to send Darnell to the AHL but he kept showing up in a good way. I don’t think Todd would let me send him down at this point.”

Fin.

27. Dashingsilverfox says:

stephen sheps: I meant to say something yesterday, but it truly is a masterful piece of 3D design. Like many of the images and LT-isms you captured, we’ll all be talking about it for many years to come.

Going to check with a friend here in town tomorrow…he does large art quality prints.

I’ll see if he can do a “bulk deal” if anyone is interested.

I’ll let everyone know the cost.

Numenius:

29. Giant Squid Overlord says:

Dashingsilverfox,

If there are some interested, I can re-render it to a larger resolution so it can be blown up and maintain the sharpness of photograph. With the current image the printing service I looked into suggested a photo print max of 12 in wide, and canvas print of 18.

30. Dashingsilverfox says:

Giant Squid Overlord:
    Dashingsilverfox,

I’ll let you know.

My friend has a printer than can do VERY large prints.

31. nelson88 says:

OKC down 2-1.

LB not having his best game. Platzer with his first goal. Pinnizotto needs anger management therapy.

Where are Pouzer and LT’s updates? taking a night off?!

nelson88:
    OKC down 2-1.

Where are Pouzer and LT’s updates? taking a night off?!

33. nelson88 says:

Giant Squid Overlord,

Couldn’t open at the office as it was blocked so just got a look this evening

Tremendous stuff!! Well done sir.

34. stephen sheps says:

on the other thread, just above a long winded scotch rant I wrote in response to Halfwise and Yeti’s chat about Islay malts….

35. nelson88 says:

Lowetide: Huh. I wrote somewhere that Platzer scored his first goal, NO idea where it went!

If the creator/moderator was lying how would we really know? 🙂

36. Dashingsilverfox says:

Did you have a beer after the nother one?

🙂

37. Pouzar says:

nelson88:
    OKC down 2-1.

Where are Pouzer and LT’s updates? taking a night off?!

a la Fuhr, LB won’t let in the next one 😛

38. Pouzar says:

OKC goin on PP…they just killed one off and the Jones bros almost combined for a 2 on 1 shorty.
    I still love that Oesterle…boy can skate and move puck.

39. Pouzar says:

Another slashing penalty. OKC 5 on 3 for a 1:06

40. Pouzar says:

No dice on the 5 on 3. Uggggggly.

41. Pouzar says:

Brossoit stops a partial break in the waning seconds of 2nd period to keep it 2-1.

42. Pouzar says:

SSM takes it 3-2

Nurse 1A +3

43. Pouzar says:

Barons Gameday ‏@BaronsGameDay 38m38 minutes ago
    #OKCBarons GOAL! Kyle Platzer nets his first pro goal, tipping an Andrew Miller shot, to cut Hamilton’s lead to 2-1.

44. Pouzar says:

Neal ‏@tweetneal 1h1 hour ago
    Platzer impressive early in this one. Two really high quality shots in period one. #OKCBarons

45. wheatnoil says:

Lowetide: My understanding is that the renewal is automatic and there is still an opportunity. I think the KHL is run in a fashion similar to a well known organization that doesn’t have an office, if you know what I mean.

It’s a really good deal for Slepyshev. Other commenters (Boho?) have mentioned he just had a kid and the idea of moving him and his family across the world to likely end up playing a good portion of the year in Bakersfield for 70K when he could be making much more in the KHL is less than ideal. If the Oilers would have to buy out his contract, he’d have guaranteed big money in the bank and allow him significant financial security for the next few years while he tries to make it in the NHL. If the Oilers don’t offer to buy him out, he still gets guaranteed money in the KHL and could still try his NHL dream next year or the year after.

It’s a great situation for a new dad. Good for him.

46. Patrick C says:

Numenius:

I was talking KHL rules and regulations earlier today on Twitter, and there may be a chance that Slepyshev’s contract with Salavat Yulaev could simply be terminated to allow him to come over. However, for that to happen, Katz would likely have to cut SY a fairly significant cheque, so for the Oilers purposes it would be the same as if they bought him out. Anyway, long story short, it’s doable!

I do need to go back and see how Vasilevsky and Nichushkin were extracted from their KHL teams – there may be some clues there as to how the Slepyshev situation will be resolved. KHL regulations can be somewhat on the opaque side… 🙂

And thank you, Mr. Lowetide, for the mentions here and and ON in the past couple of days!

47. Pouzar says:

Patrick C: I was talking KHL rules and regulations earlier today on Twitter, and there may be a chance that Slepyshev’s contract with Salavat Yulaev could simply be terminated to allow him to come over.However, for that to happen, Katz would likely have to cut SY a fairly significant cheque, so for the Oilers purposes it would be the same as if they bought him out.Anyway, long story short, it’s doable!

I do need to go back and see how Vasilevsky and Nichushkin were extracted from their KHL teams – there may be some clues there as to how the Slepyshev situation will be resolved.KHL regulations can be somewhat on the opaque side…

Thanks for the info. Lots of fans of Slepy here and we hope it works out for him and his family first.

Cheers

48. Pouzar says:

Shady playing the right side paired with Hunt.

49. Pouzar says:

3-1 after Shady giveaway on the defensive half wall. Centering pass and deflected in.

50. MrEd says:

Oksanen as D/F reminds me of something I heard this week on the radio about Brent Burns and his availability. He’d fill a couple of hole’s IMO. No doubt it would take a bold move to land him.

51. Pouzar says:

Not sure if mentioned but Nurse playing in front of net on Soo PP.

52. MrEd says:

Pouzar,

Shady?

53. Pouzar says:

Hunt with a weird looking shot from the point finds it way home….looked deflected by someone.
    3-2 now

Brad Hunt scores, Barons down 3-2.

55. Pouzar says:

MrEd:
    Pouzar,

Shady?

Marincin

Greyhounds are through. Nurse is going to have a deep run here in the playoffs.

57. Pouzar says:

Hunt now tied for most goals by a d-man with 19

58. Pouzar says:

Greyhounds are through. Nurse is going to have a deep run here in the playoffs.

He shut down McDavid in the game I watched. They were matched shift for shift

Platzer scores again!

60. Pouzar says:

Platzer with a Howitzer to tie it!

61. Pouzar says:

Platzer from Oesterle/Hamilton

62. Pouzar says:

And Marincin gets beat on a 1 on 1….great backhand shot in off the post.
    Shitty gap control there.

63. Pouzar says:

Drai short handed!

64. Pouzar says:

5-3 Hamilton

65. Pouzar says:

Neal ‏@tweetneal 2m2 minutes ago
    Platzer is shifty and smart. Well positioned and creative. He’s kind of a surprising player as a result. #OKCBarons

66. Pouzar says:

Oh boy….that was top shelf beauty by Merkley

Leon with a goal early.

68. Pouzar says:

I could say “what a pass” by Drai but what’s the point?

69. Pouzar says:

Another example of a kid who can’t believe the puck is on his stick and he whiffs on a wide open net.

70. RexLibris says:

Apr 13 Bridgeport Griffin Reinhart (D) DEL Recalled from loan by NY Islanders (NHL)

Per AHL.com

71. dessert1111 says:

Drai had goalie thinking ‘pass’ the whole time there. Merkley with great skating to the net thru the D and nice finish. Hadn’t noticed him much in other Kelowna games I’ve seen but he’s been smooth so far tonight.

Pouzar:
    I could say “what a pass” by Drai but what’s the point?

It’s fun to watch him in this league but the NHL has to change their stupid rule. He should be in OKC

73. Tire Fire says:

Pouzar,

He wasn’t quite ready for the NHL last fall, but I remember him surprising NHL players by all of the sudden having the puck hit their stick. I think when he finds some chemistry with someone, he’ll be a real force.

74. Pouzar says:

Tire Fire:
    Pouzar,

He wasn’t quite ready for the NHL last fall, but I remember him surprising NHL players by all of the sudden having the puck hit their stick.I think when he finds some chemistry with someone, he’ll be a real force.

He is most compared to Joe Thornton. I remember Jumbo’s rookie year like it was yesterday. He looked lost ( 7pts in 55 games). But when the game slows down for these types of elite playmakers it’s GO time.

75. Dashingsilverfox says:

Chase with a goal for Victoria.

76. Pouzar says:

Drai with a PP apple

77. Evilas says:

OksanenPatrick Kane back in time for Game 1 vs Preds…this changes things….although I picked Pred over Hawks, I am still sticking with Wild vs Jets and Ottawa vs NYR in Conf finals with Wild over Sens for the cup. I could not ignore the streaks they are on…

Regarding Oksanen, I commented on him about a month ago as being the best NCAA FA target. I predict he will be the most productive free agent from college signed this year, he is a sniper!

78. Suntory Hanzo says:

Anyone have a feed online for the Kelowna Victoria game?

1-1-2 for Leon, he’s 3-8-11 in 7GP during the playoffs. Looks like they’ll make quick work of Victoria, meaning Greg Chase might see some action in OKC.

80. Numenius says:

Drai with a slashing penalty to negate the empty netter. He would have gotten an assist.

Good to see he has some fire though. He doesn’t get many penalties.

81. Yak2 says:

This would be such a very good addition to our F/D corps. That NHLE you posted screams a Brent Burns/Dustin Byfuglien type player. Man oh man, that would be nice to have.

82. Numenius says:

Patrick C,

Thanks for the replies. I can see that the KHL might not have too much of a problem. I was more concerned about how the NHL would feel about it, though, since you’re kind of circumventing the cap and such.

83. Bruce McCurdy says:

Giant Squid Overlord:
    Bruce McCurdy,

No worries, an oldie but a goodie.

84. SwedishPoster says:

On the Slepyshev contract from what I understand he was offered a similar contract to the junior player in the tweet. With Slepy finishing the season in the top 6(with success) him getting the same deal as a kid out if junior seems odd. That to me certainly sounds like a n automatic offer so the talk of it being a qualifying offer rings true.

85. kooler says:

Any thoughts on Alexander Dergachyov and Vladislav Gavrikov…..big kids and played well in WJC. Any of theses kids from the Russian Jr. on the radar?

86. PhrankLee says:

Hoo boy I was impressed with Osterle’s skating last night.

The Jones twins showed some nice togetherness too.

MM stood up for his team in the corner more than once, poor play on the 1 on 1 though.

Brad Hunt looked positively bored. His team mates respect him a lot, though. It really shows.

87. Yeti says:

A quick note to say thanks for all the scotch recommendations in the previous thread. I will begin working my way through them. Willis put me onto Lagavulin a while back, and now there are many more to work through!

88. Surly says:

Yeti:

I missed a thread that landed on scotch…damn. Talisker 18 if you can find it (goes for about $110US a bottle in the states but it’s hard to find them in Canada…distillery sells more in Asia where they can get a higher premium). I’ve yet to splurge on a Talisker 25 (you can find them here but for $400ish/bottle). I bet it is like the #1 Defensemen of the Talisker lineup!

Cheers.

89. SwedishPoster says:

kooler:
    Any thoughts on Alexander Dergachyov andVladislav Gavrikov…..big kids and played well in WJC. Any of theses kids from theRussian Jr. on the radar?

I like both, Dergachev will probably go early second but you could argue he’s a first round talent with that combo of skill, size and work ethic. But the real steal out of russia imo is Deniis Guryanov. Imo first round talent who may very well drop to the 3rd round unless a team like Detroit or Tampa has their Eyes on the price. Great offensive player with good size. Farily late birthday and from what I’ve Heard his trajectory over the year went skywards.